Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: And the Hollow Men

While chasing one of the Library's missing artifacts, Flynn is kidnapped by a mysterious stranger with both amnesia and a collection of all the Library's missing artifacts. Soon all of them are in pursuit of the Staff of Zarathustra before it falls into the hands of Prospero.

As much as I like NW and I'm ok with Flynn, I don't think he and Eve have any chemistry so I don't look forward to his episodes. I did enjoy this episode since they were together for about 5 minutes total. I realize that I also liked it because the others had minimal time. 

My guess is that I should drop this show because I don't really like it. 

I've avoided getting an account for YEARS because I know getting involved in conversations will quickly become an obsession (like I don't spend enough watching and reading about TV already!). What finally broke me? Needing to say this:

Someone's been watching Doctor Who! This took a page from The Doctor's Wife, where the Doctor meets his Tardis in female human form. Flynn being so giddy to be with his Library and wanting to keep talking as he vanished into gold dust, felt just like it. 

Not that I mind -- this show is already one part National Treasure and one part Warehouse 13 with some extra magic thrown in. All of which works for me. And bonus Christian Kane, who I'd watch in almost anything. :)

• Love 1

I thought this episode was kind of strange. Flynn was off with his own story, Eve was off with her own story, & everybody else was together. It seemed too scattered. At least Cassandra was dressed like a grown up who didn't work at the circus, in fact, I actually liked her shirt.

• Love 2

Thirst for knowledge may not be one of the trendy emotions but this episode had it. Episodes with feelings are always more satisfying I think. 

For some reason IMDB isn't posting the correct cast for this episode. I've seen the actor playing Ray/the Library before, but as a larger, heavier, slightly older person he doesn't usually get much spotlight. I can't place him. Anyone catch it in the credits?

I guess the holo-men are the Library and Moriarty?

For some reason IMDB isn't posting the correct cast for this episode. I've seen the actor playing Ray/the Library before, but as a larger, heavier, slightly older person he doesn't usually get much spotlight. I can't place him. Anyone catch it in the credits?

I don't know for sure, but he looked a lot like Drew Powell, the guy who plays Butch in Gotham.

• Love 4

It seems like he was Drew Powell.

The only Glasney I can find is a medieval college in Cornwall, which kind of fits the ancient knowledge thing. But then a lot of the mythology of this series, from Arthurian legend to standing stones, is cornish, isn't it? I really didn't so much notice until that.

Edited by Julia
Someone's been watching Doctor Who! This took a page from The Doctor's Wife, where the Doctor meets his Tardis in female human form. Flynn being so giddy to be with his Library and wanting to keep talking as he vanished into gold dust, felt just like it.

That's exactly what I thought, when I wasn't fangirling over the arch villain. 

I actually wish there was more time with the Library, but Eve and Moriarity were so much fun. I love that he calls her Duchess. 

I've avoided getting an account for YEARS because I know getting involved in conversations will quickly become an obsession (like I don't spend enough watching and reading about TV already!). What finally broke me? Needing to say this:

The writing staff of Leverage were Doctor Who fans and I think there's a lot of the same writers on this show I wouldn't be surprised if this was an homage.

Not one reference to tacos. Kind of disappointing. 

They easily could have replaced all the milkshakes with tacos.  I didn't think of it at the time but now I'm disappointed too.

I really liked Drew Powell as the Library and I'm glad they didn't make him a villain.  I'm sure he can do villain but I was happy they wrote him more like Hurley (from Leverage).  Although it would have been nice to see him and CK together in a scene...  But all in all, I thought it was a good episode I may have even teared up a little at the end (either that or my apartment was super dusty).

• Love 1

I thought this episode was kind of strange. Flynn was off with his own story, Eve was off with her own story, & everybody else was together. It seemed too scattered.

Flynn seems to always hijack the show whenever he's on.  Everyone takes a backseat as he runs around solving all the mysteries on his own while Jake, Cassandra and Ezekiel kind of chime in once or twice with an idea and then fade back into the background.  I like Flynn so it doesn't bother me that much especially since he's only in half the episodes.  It has become a bit contrived though how the writers continually have to come up with creative ways for him to reappear and then leave again because NW didn't want to do the show full time.  I think his character is really suffering this season because of it.

Did they let Moriarty keep the staff? They didn't talk about the staff after they brought the Library back to The Library. 

He still has it.  Maybe the staff still had some knowledge juice left in it and Eve/Flynn couldn't touch it???  I don't know why they didn't try to get it back either.  Then again, I'm still confused as to why Eve gave Moriarty back Propero's watch in the first episode instead of throwing it off the cliff like she threatened to do.

That's exactly what I thought, when I wasn't fangirling over the arch villain. 

I actually wish there was more time with the Library, but Eve and Moriarity were so much fun. I love that he calls her Duchess. 

Moriarty calling Eve "Duchess" is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I don't find it endearing at all.  It's actually a bit condescending.  I will admit Moriarity does know how to play the game though.  He knew the right buttons to push with Eve about Flynn being a runner.  The man did speak the truth even if he was being smug about it. 

• Love 2

I guess I figured Moriarty would be above a classist, gendered form of evil. I don't think he would need or want the weight of society's prejudices behind him when he's asserting his own superiority. He's evil, not ingorant, and I've always gotten the impression that he was pretty invested in having a worthy opponent.

I think his character is really suffering this season because of it.

It really is. Last season it worked fine with the plan they had. The Librarians would handle all of regular stuff

and he'd come back to help with all the really big stuff. I wish they'd stick with that if he wasn't going to be

around then his romance with Eve and his issues being alone.

• Love 1

Always great to see Drew Powell.  Besides being Butch on Gotham, I actually remember for his two episodes of Leverage, so I'm not too surprised he appeared here, since it seems like John Rodgers is reusing some of those folks.

I enjoyed this episode, but like with last season Flynn-centric episodes, I kind of have to accept those are going to be different from the norm.  Basically, he is going to take front and center, Baird and Jenkins will have stuff to do, but the rest of the Librarians will kind of take a backseat.  Kind of annoying, but since it only happens sparingly, and usually goes back to normal by next week.  Plus, I just enjoy Noah Wylie on this show every much.

Moriarty is a fun antagonist.  I really do think he respects Baird, and all of his antics aren't just smug flirting.  I don't hope they actually go there (mainly, because I just don't think Baird would ever do that), but I do think he might be right about Flynn, at least when it comes to his relationship with Baird.

• Love 1

Always great to see Drew Powell.  Besides being Butch on Gotham, I actually remember for his two episodes of Leverage, so I'm not too surprised he appeared here, since it seems like John Rodgers is reusing some of those folks.

I wonder if they're not also re-using locations.  I seem to recall a scene with a bunch of shipping containers that had me thinking that they used the same spot as where some of Leverage S1E (The Homecoming Job) was filmed.

Indeed, that was my first thought as well once Ray's identity became clear. There was a second reference to Doctor Who when Jenkins and the Librarians were standing in the ring of lights waiting for the darkness to get them: Silence in the Library (4.9 - also known as the first/last River Song episode) where the Vashta Nerada killed everyone getting in the shadows of the Library had a pretty similar scene taking place at the center of the Library - plus that Library had also a sentient operating system.

• Love 1

I guess I figured Moriarty would be above a classist, gendered form of evil. I don't think he would need or want the weight of society's prejudices behind him when he's asserting his own superiority. He's evil, not ingorant, and I've always gotten the impression that he was pretty invested in having a worthy opponent.

I'm pretty sure he calls her Duchess because that's the fake title she gave him when they first met?