Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Baby Steps

Carol's right, Phil really is an injured puppy. He wants attention SO MUCH.

Phil & Todd rolling through the chip aisle was such a great visual. But hating on Scoops?! Especially since it was Gail's favorite?! Tandy, er, Phil, you dumb.

So Phil saves New Phil from drinking himself to death...and drags him into the stocks. Got to admit, I cheered for that. I don't even know if New Phil heard any of Phil's talks to him, but the stocks just seems moot now.

Next week:

We see Jason Sudeikis again! And a new...thing (most likely another animal) shows up to the house.

• Love 3

Poor Phil! Just spend your time in the stock! I get that it's stupid and means nothing, but it means something to the group that you exist with. You are stuck with them now, so suck it up buttercup! Or he can go drown himself in the ocean. His hotness will not save him. I am still following the Gail plan, going on a walk with my tortilla chips and wine. I get why she had to find her own man, fake or not

• Love 2

Tandy is lucky Phil II surprised. I was not expecting Tandy to put Phil II in the stocks, so I liked that little twist.

Tandy was actually right that Phil II needs to be subject to the same punishment as the rest of the group. Tandy was starting to annoy me with the eye thing, but he redeemed himself when he was talking to an unconscious Phil II and saying he knew Phil II didn't mean it. Will Forte nailed that whole scene, from the yelling to almost shooting Phil II then realizing he needed to re-position the surf board.

• Love 2

HA! I absolutely loved that Tandy put Phil in the stocks. Huge smile on my face when I realized that he did it. Easily my favorite scene this season. I don't know what it is about this show. Its not typically my kind of show at all but it still manages to hold my interest week after week.  

• Love 2

Wasn't it just a couple of episodes ago that they were running out of canned food and forced to eat crickets, but this week they had more canned food and chips that apparently never go stale.  Ever.  

And it looked like that store hadn't been stripped clean by far -- that can't be the only store in Malibu.  So why were they complaining about running out of food ?  Are these people just that lazy ?

Where were all the whale carcasses on the beach ?  They've been bitching about all the whale carcasses since they got to Malibu, so where were they ?  Do the writers even pay attention to what has been stated on previous episodes.

Apparently the solar panels that Phil tried to setup last episode don't work since they still don't have any power in the house.  Why don't they move to the house with the working solar panels ?  How stupid are these people ?

How is that pool so incredibly clean and algae free ?  Because I doubt anyone is cleaning it on a daily basis, or treating it with chemicals, and there's no power for the pumps.

Still no corpses anywhere -- of people or animals.

• Love 1

When he was breaking the surfboard fin, my thought was that it's not going to matter that he saved Phil's life, what's going to matter is that HE WRECKED MELISSA'S SURFBOARD and she's going to hate him with the passion of a thousand suns.

Speaking of which, after he flipped over the board, why did he need to break off the fin?

Seeing Todd breaking up over the baby, and Melissa having told him that the abortive hookup with Tandy was "just sex" when it was the exact opposite, was touching.

• Love 2

I made the mistake of watching this episode right after The Walking Dead so when Phil said he needed to go on a supply run, my first thought was he should bring protection.  I legit thought for a moment when they were on their chip run that a zombie was going to jump out of the shadows.

• Love 4

What a great surprise that Phil put New Phil in the stocks. Was not expecting that. Perfect.

I really like Phil's transformation. He's not only become a better person, but he wants to see others be better people.

• Love 2

Wasn't it just a couple of episodes ago that they were running out of canned food and forced to eat crickets, but this week they had more canned food and chips that apparently never go stale.  Ever.  

And it looked like that store hadn't been stripped clean by far -- that can't be the only store in Malibu.  So why were they complaining about running out of food ?  Are these people just that lazy ?

It wasn't running out of canned food, the problem was canned food was expiring. My guess is the tortilla chips were expired, but Gail just didn't care. They're probably accustomed to stale food at this point. The bigger concern would be safety, not taste.

I kind of assume that wasn't the closest supermarket. Maybe Gail is just that lazy, but her wanting someone else to go to the store could also fit with it not being the closest store. I imagine they would pick through a store and then move outward.

Driving down the grocery store aisles was a nice visual gag, although I don't know I've ever seen store aisles that wide. It's also being destructive for the sake of being destructive. My inner Carol was freaking out a little, but it was amusing so it worked in the show. 

• Love 6

When he was breaking the surfboard fin, my thought was that it's not going to matter that he saved Phil's life, what's going to matter is that HE WRECKED MELISSA'S SURFBOARD and she's going to hate him with the passion of a thousand suns.

Speaking of which, after he flipped over the board, why did he need to break off the fin?

Seeing Todd breaking up over the baby, and Melissa having told him that the abortive hookup with Tandy was "just sex" when it was the exact opposite, was touching.

I agree. Melissa is going to get angry about the board.

A mini mal like that is rockered, so it would only really work to drag with the natural bottom down. Otherwise, the tail would just dig in. Not to mention the bottom of the board is designed to slide, the top is designed to stick.

• Love 2

In Will's defense, I did see an interview (I think via the Hollywood Reporter) that Fox forbade any corpses. The network thought that would hinder the audience receiving this as a 1/2 hour comedy. So, I am sure they are not allowed to be too realistic about what the aftermath of a world ending pandemic would look like.

• Love 2

Aw, poor Phil2. I know he punched Phil1 and refused to get into the stocks, but I felt so bad for him. He has been working his ass off for the group while they sit around and get drunk so I can see why he was upset that they wouldn't cut him any slack about being goaded into punching Phil1. (I'm not excusing violence, but I can see how from his point of view, he was trying to leave and just be alone and Phil1 wouldn't leave and kept rubbing his face in the fact that Carol chose Phil1.) I did love when Phil1 started to feel bad for him too and then had to talk himself out of it. I liked the whole rescue scene on the beach, though I cringed so hard when it looked like Phil1 was going to shoot Phil2's feet.

It's weird to me that none of the women have brought up how dangerous it is to give birth with no medical help. All of their reasons for not getting pregnant have been things like "It will ruin my body" or "No other babies for it to play with". Even Melissa just says that she doesn't want to. Even now with all our medical advancements and machines that go ping, women still die every day giving birth. Also, the lack of pain meds should be a HUGE concern.

Edited by Rockstar99435

This episode was a real improvement IMO.  A couple episodes back, I was almost out but I'm way back in now.

While its a hilarious visual, it must take Phil hours to fill up the margarita pool just to drink a few pints of booze...

True, but I guess what else does he have to do?  I enjoyed it even more in the mode of floating within the larger pool.

It's weird to me that none of the women have brought up how dangerous it is to give birth with no medical help. All of their reasons for not getting pregnant have been things like "It will ruin my body" or "No other babies for it to play with". Even Melissa just says that she doesn't want to. Even now with all our medical advancements and machines that go ping, women still die every day giving birth. Also, the lack of pain meds should be a HUGE concern.

Yet the earth has to be repopulated somehow, and as far as I know, there's still only one way to to do it in terms of actually giving birth.  It's only the means of conception that doesn't require doing it the old-fashioned way.

I love how the Skipper is redeeming himself one member at a time. Plus, that whole surfboard sequence was priceless. I totally lost it when Tandy slid Phil into the pool.

Speaking of the pool, every time Tandy fills up his margarita pool and climbs in, a very strange combination of ewww and eeee emanates from me. It's so funny, but yet so gross at the same time.