Type keyword(s) to search

Chris Colfer/Kurt Hummel

(edited)

What I find impressive is the NYT list of #1 of best selling SERIES of children's books.

A celebrity written book can reach the best seller list for a week or two and that's usually it. With Chris' 4 Land of Stories books, (1 more on the way and 1 additional one hinted at) this indicates the staying selling power of his books as a series. I dare say if it continues he will be as well known as a book author as for being Kurt on Glee. As Chris himself cynically has said, his best selling author status gives him bragging rights at HW mixers ( "oh yea, I have a best selling SERIES, top that!")

The first book probably had alot of Glee fans buying it initially, (some I'm sure still do), but I think it's safe to say his status as a stand alone writer/author has been firmly established.

Of course if the books do get made into a movie(s) it will increase sales exponentially.

Edited by caracas1914

It's an amazing success for Chris to be ranked up top next to HP, I bet he actually pinched himself. Not surprising he was in tears to get it for solely his own creation, it's an author's dream come true.

For this week. That's great for Chris but the last Harry Potter book was released eight years ago and is still charting as a best selling series on a weekly basis so while it's nice for him I kind of doubt they will have the same staying power. (Unpopular Opinion I know)

(edited)

For this week. That's great for Chris but the last Harry Potter book was released eight years ago and is still charting as a best selling series on a weekly basis so while it's nice for him I kind of doubt they will have the same staying power. (Unpopular Opinion I know)

Yes, I'm talking about this week. I mentioned HP because JKR happens to be Chris' idol author, even one week in that company must mean a lot beside the commercial success. Of course, the publisher has their sales&marketing strategies to get the book as high on the list as it can. I'm sure it's one of their goals for the tours and publicity he does, they want it to be successful and profitable obviously. They have ramped it up, like this year with the bonus chapter deals. (I can't count how many times I've bought the same albums for their exclusive Japanese, UK, etc. release bonus tracks, before it was possible to get just the bonus material lol)

I don't know what the staying power will be, it's hard to make predictions.

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

Uh..I'm a Chris Colfer fan and I don't think his series is  going to have anywhere near the staying power of Harry Potter series, but to me it's like saying that any new religous book won't have the circulation of the Bible or the Koran.  ; )

The strawman argument "unpopular opinion I know" would have indicated that someone had posted the he WOULD have the same staying power as Harry Potter, which nobody has.

For the record , he's sold over a million copies domestically of the first 3 books in the series and the third book charted at #29 in USAToday's overall sales last year for its release, whereas this year's fourth book  charted on the same list at #10.

I don't think it's a wild stretch to project that the first 4 books in the series will sell over 1.5 million copies domestically, (does not include foreign sales, apparently the books do very well in the UK) so while certainly no where near HP levels I do think it's impressive for a first time author .

Granted the first book got published as Chris has conceded on the basis of his Glee celebrity, but the staying power of his books indicated he can sell on the appeal of his books on their own merit at this point.

So with 3 books selling over 1 million copies, I do think if his series continues  for another 3 more books and with each book seemingly doing better sales  than the last, with continued marketing and promotion the LOS  series may sell 2-3 million copies  overall within the next couple of years, even without a movie adaptation.

Now that may an unpopular opinion, but it's mine.   ; )

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Is it wrong if I get a little bit ticked when they pull Glee into this? The books have nothing to do with Glee.

I don't mind yet in the case of show hosts, etc tweeting about their guests, cause it's to remind their average viewer who may not even know his name or just know him as Kurt Hummel. Such people exist, general public. And lbr, it's hard to dissociate right away from the show that put you on the map, the Friends cast know that too damn well. 

(edited)

I think once Chris has another major acting project (such as the upcoming Noel biopic) to market/promote it will be a little easier to put some distance. Having said that, even at the time of Robin Williams death there were some of the public who still thought first of "Mork and Mindy".

So I doubt if the Glee/Kurt/ connection will ever completely go away, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
(edited)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/wall-street-journal-best-sellers/2015/07/16/dd8faab2-2bfa-11e5-960f-22c4ba982ed4_story.html

Books
WALL STREET JOURNAL-BEST SELLERS
FICTION

1. “The Girl on the Train” by Paula Hawkins (Riverhead)

2. “The Isle of the Lost” by Melissa de la Cruz (Disney-Hyperion)

3. “Code of Conduct” by Brad Thor (Atria/Emily Bestler Books)

4. “All the Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr (Scribner)

5. “The English Spy” by Daniel Silva (HarperCollins)

6. “Nemesis” by Catherine Coulter (G.P. Putnam’s Sons)

7. “The Land of Stories: Beyond the Kingdoms” by Chris Colfer (Little, Brown books for Young Readers)

Again, like the USA TODAY list...the Wall Street Journal list includes sales of all fiction.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3
(edited)

Publishers Weekly

"Two editions of John Green’s Paper Towns held the first and third places on the juvenile fiction list, and the strongest debut was Chris Colfer’s The Land of Stories, which sold almost 19,000 copies in the week."

(unrelated but I had no real concept of what ELJames is pulling and omg)

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

Chris Colfer ‘Glee’-fully writes new book

"“Glee launched me in so may directions. I am so thankful for that and aware of what it did for me. Season one and two seemed to help so many people who were dealing with things in their own lives that my character was facing. I think that was the best part of Glee.”"

"He continues to hear from people who are certain that the story line about Kurt’s same-sex wedding had a big influence on the recent Supreme Court decision on the matter. This kind of talk has added to the struggle Colfer has had looking at future projects. He feels very spoiled at what he was able to do during the run of “Glee” and wants to find the same kind of soul and benefits in future projects. It will take a special project to get Colfer to return to television because the schedule is so difficult. He’s going to take a little break before his next project, a film based on the life of Noel Coward."

"As for any souvenirs he kept from the show, he kept some of the clothes Kurt wore, including the sweater he had on when he sang “Defying Gravity” from “Wicked.”

Edited by fakeempress

"Glee launched me in so may directions. I am so thankful for that and aware of what it did for me. Season one and two seemed to help so many people who were dealing with things in their own lives that my character was facing. I think that was the best part of Glee.”

(emphasis mine)

I'm cackling.

• Love 3
(edited)

"Glee launched me in so may directions. I am so thankful for that and aware of what it did for me. Season one and two seemed to help so many people who were dealing with things in their own lives that my character was facing. I think that was the best part of Glee.”

(emphasis mine)

I'm cackling.

Maybe I'm projecting  too, but it does seem subtle (or not so subtle) shade on how Glee went downhill. 

Though really, when you look at most of the media's comments when the show winded down, they for the most part mirror what Chris said, ie that Glee had such an impact it's first two years...

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

You can go to any fandom and see people who felt their favorite character saved them in some way.  Even if it was just in representation.

So while I agree the first few seasons were the best  not only Kurt's storyline helped people.   

I read the first book of his series. It's...um, a demonstration that he is literate. 

As for being on the NYT list, he's been there for 5 weeks so far after 4 books. Not huge. I mean, apparently WINGS OF FIRE has had 7 weeks and I have never even heard of it.

As for being on the NYT list, he's been there for 5 weeks so far after 4 books. Not huge. I mean, apparently WINGS OF FIRE has had 7 weeks and I have never even heard of it.

That may be, but I'd bet the author of every single book or series you've actually heard of would consider being on the list "huge."

• Love 1
(edited)

I won't judge Chris or any cast member for ragging or snarking on the show. Yes they stayed and I'm sure it was a nice paycheck but come on, only the truly delusional viewers and well RIB won't admit or maybe don't even realize just how truly awful the show became. And every subsequent season was like "oh you thought this was bad, trust us, it gets worse." I honestly cannot off the top of my head think of a show that was so critically lauded and commercially successful that crashed as hard and as fast as Glee did.

So I can't knock the actors if now they're away from the mess they can't help a little snark. And really he didn't actually say anything that bad. It's others' interpretation that it was a snarky dig at the show failing in later seasons (and I'll admit I thought that as soon as I read the quote) but he didn't actually say that and really didn't say anything worse than Kevin McHale and Matthew Morrison I think who have both pretty much said, "look it's a fact the show wasn't what it once was by the end and no one was really watching."

I read the first book of his series. It's...um, a demonstration that he is literate.

If I'm being honest, I only made it through the sample. When the first book came out, I downloaded the free sample (as I do most books because it's saved me from spending money on some truly awful books - looking at you Fifty Shades of Gray) and honestly I barely made it through the sample so let's just say I was not inspired to purchase it and keeping reading. The writing wasn't awful but it certainly wasn't great.

However the biggest takeaway I got was that it felt very amateurish. But that being said, it is a children's book that I believe is geared towards like 6-12 year olds. So I figured maybe I wasn't the best judge because I was reading it from an adult's perspective and judging things that I doubt an eight year old would notice or care about. So not my thing personally but good for him on his success. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

As for Chris, and any of the other Glee cast members for that matter, staying on Glee after the first 2-3 seasons and happily cashing in that paycheck, even when some of them are now saying they loved the first seasons the best and/or that Glee went downhill in its later seasons: it's not like most of them had any choice to leave (or stay). The ones who stayed on the show till the end were still bound to their contracts, so even if they had wanted to leave after a few seasons they couldn't.

And for some others it was the opposite: even if they wanted to stay they weren't allowed to. I don't believe all the crap Ryan said about that everyone was given the option after season 3 to either stay or leave, and that it completely would be their own free choice. Fox would never have let Lea, Chris (and Cory) go from the show, not even when it was imo quite obvious Ryan wanted them gone. And I think some of the other original cast members wanted to stay after their character's graduation in season 3, or wanted to stay a regular instead of a guest star, like Jenna after season 5.

And lol, of course there are other books, book series and authors who were on those bestseller lists longer and/or higher placed than Chris' books. That however doesn't take anything away from the fact that just being on those lists, even if it were for just 1 week (and so far Chris' The Land of Stories books have been on those lists longer than 1 week in the past, and even reappeared sometimes when the next book in the series was released), is a huge thing for any author, and a clear sign that many of his books get sold and therefore are considered successful, whether or not everyone likes them or not or hasn't even heard of them.

Chris didn't get several other book deals after his first book for nothing, and now he even has a contract to write multiple books till 2020: a good publisher knows when they have a winner and very probable future money-maker under their wings.

Those lists are also nice advertisement material: no matter how long (or short) 'The Land of Stories' series stays on that list in comparison to other books, from now on Chris and his PR team can put on every one of his future books, and let Chris be announced that way at every talk show and interview, that he and the series are a New York Times #1 bestseller. As Chris said (paraphrasing), that's a great accomplishment to trump other celebrities with in a friendly bragging game at Hollywood parties.

• Love 2
(edited)

I haven't really read TLOS, just listened to the first audiobook a while ago so far, and will eventually go through the rest. It's very fun and enjoyable in the way he dramatises it. As for the writing style, I think he'll benefit from an editor with a firmer hand, but I have no idea what's the kid lit style standard these days (it's been a long while since I've read even the HP books, let alone my favourite books as a child.) 

Edited by fakeempress

He's sold a million copies for 3 books, probably close to 1.5 million for his 4 books and is now a NYT best selling series. Whether that's "huge" or not is of course open to interpretation. It does seem though that his books are increasing in sales and he has a committment to release new books through 2010. So regardless he has a viable writing career and while Glee was used to jump start this career, he's managed to maintain it at this point per his actual sales. Now that impresses me.

On a side note, there are paps pics of Chris apparently plastered at Chateau Marmont and being assisted by his boyfriend and his dad. The boyfriend I can understand but his bad boy image is undercut by Dad being there...LOL.

(edited)

I just think your emphasis on "series omg being on the series list is better than the other lists" is silly.

If it does sell 1.5 mil copies for 4 books, that's almost 400k a book. Considering that even in its final flop season Glee could still sporadically pull in millions of viewers, I see no proof that the people who buy the book are not mostly just gleeks. 

Looking back on the past years, looks like the first book was the #69 children's book of 2012 with 121,766 copies.

The Enchantress Returns was the #71 children's book of 2013 with 107,019 copies. 

Publishers Weekly didn't do a best-of-2014, but I do see that A Grimm Warning has sold 14k copies this year, implying that the series is probably frontloaded and people buy the books the year they come out.

I find it a stretch to see 1.5 million copies. Unless PW under-reports or something, I suppose.

I do appreciate that he has proven to be literate. I'm not sure the same can be said of, say, One Direction whose One Direction: Where We Are sold over 200k copies in 2013.

Edited by jjjmoss
(edited)

I just think your emphasis on "series omg being on the series list is better than the other lists" is silly.

Yes, because thinking 4 books selling well is impressive as oppposed to 1 book selling well is just silly.

If it does sell 1.5 mil copies for 4 books, that's almost 400k a book. Considering that even in its final flop season Glee could still sporadically pull in millions of viewers, I see no proof that the people who buy the book are not mostly just gleeks.

So Chris books would have to sell "millions" in initial release to prove that the people who buy the books are not mostly just gleeks.

Again, Love that fucking logic.

People become fans of performers many times introduced by a an album, movie, TV show,,books, etc, yet when they continue to support the sales of said performer in mutliple offerings it somehow is just attributable to one thing exclusively, again the logic.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

I think it's hilarious how quick some people are to try and downplay his accomplishments with The Land of Stories. It's obviously not the best or biggest selling book of all time but it is a very successful series and it seems ridiculous to try and argue that it's still just 'gleeks' buying it. All you need to do is look at the different demographics between the first and fourth book tours to see that is not true. He recently said that he had sold well over a million copies and that was just for the first 3 books and inside the US. It also seems successful enough for him to be getting multiple offers to turn it into a movie.

• Love 3
(edited)

The point is this is huge for him. He can't be expected to sell at the EL James or HP level, nor does he have to reach such numbers to be called a success. For him, it's already a viable and commercially successful project a few years in, which is now generating spinoff books (with possible screen). It's not a one-off book deal any more.

Apparently, the books can appear only on the Series NYT list starting from last year's volume. Still, TLoS has been on their lists since the very first volume, that's indication enough it's keeping and even increasing its audience.

As to what percentage of this audience is Glee, certainly there is a good chunk. But my research methods prof would've had some choice words for anyone who tries to extrapolate from Glee's audience numbers by simple subtraction.

Edited by fakeempress

Wasted opportunity--they had Adam Lambert and Chris Colfer on The Talk (in separate segments), plus behind the scenes videos where they talk about singing together, but no singing together! Argh. I was hoping they'd break out and sing a little, but Chris had to "end scene". Oh well.

Here are the links to The Talk, of both Chris, Adam Lambert (since he doesn't have his own Glee thread), and the 2 videos of them together:

- Chris on The Talk.

- Adam on The Talk.

- Chris and Adam talking about possible songs for their characters Kurt and Elliot.  (tumblr link)

- Chris and Adam answering fan questions.  (tumblr link

These videos make me wish that we had seen more of Starkurt/Kelliot on Glee, as I think they have great chemistry.

Chris and Adam were fun together, and didn't shy away from playful innuendo over what song choices fans requested Kurt and Starchild to sing.

Why Glee didn't market these two more as a pair...

Well putting aside the fact that by the time Adam came on the show Glee was already in the dumps so most of their "marketing" was as mediocre as the show itself and no one but die-hards gave a crap anymore, Adam himself was really not that available for any serious marketing with regards to the show. He was still by all accounts very much a singer first and as I recall, he was already heavily involved with his work with Queen at the same time he appeared on the show. I like Adam and I've been a fan since his days on American Idol but let's be frank, he did the show for some nice exposure and decent paycheck (and there is nothing wrong with that, let me be clear). It wasn't something he was particularly invested in. 

Well yea, my remark was more about example # 12,536 that the show got wrong. Adam did sing a good chunk as a guest star and I did enjoy that immensely. Quite frankly, Adam may have little acting experience but he wasn't that bad as Elliot, I daresay he was as good as some regulars on the show.

As to not being available for marketing, you just slap a couple of BTS videos and playful set pieces with Chris and Adam, , we're not talking weeks of preparation. Of course since he wasn't really involved in Darren/Blaine's SL's Ms. professional Mia Swirren couldn't be bothered so there's that.

I agree that acting gigs aren't really Adam's thing and I doubt we'll see him in another TV show unless they could shoe horn him somehow singing.

Oh well. Didn't think they would both really be on it, but then they could've been in a blink-and-you-miss it crowd scene or extras at a Halloween party or something. Good for Ashley.

(edited)

This week, Chris' book series is #3 in the NYT best selling Children series , 4th consecutive week this year in the top 3 ( 2 weeks #1, 1 week # 2, and 1 week #3) and 8th week overall.

Edited by caracas1914

Reading that little interview, it's totally understandable why Chris doesn't feel any pressure to jump immediately into a new job. Especially with the Noel Coward film looming. Between the insane schedule of Glee, his writing and book tours and producing and filming Struck by Lightening, he really had no real down time the entire time he was filming Glee. So I can't quite blame him for not trying to squeeze in a project before he starts filming Noel and is enjoying a few months to do things a bit more leisurely.

I remind myself Chris was still 18 when he did the pilot and even then they did some promotional touring even going to Australia so he didn't have any genuine downtime for close to 6 years. Of course part of that was taking on a writing career