Type keyword(s) to search

Chris Colfer/Kurt Hummel

Yes, it diluted the Mercedes/Kurt friendship, too, to the point apparently Mercedes is more concerned about Rachel's career and Rachel's and Sam's love lives when her bestie has been dealing with his Blaine breakup while pursuing his thesis or whatever. But I guess they don't need any significant interaction (or a song together)--we can just assume it happened off-screen.

(edited)

That's why it amuses me  some of  the criticisms of Kurt fans  when they stated they would prefer him to move on to other projects back in Season 4 when he first got sidelined.  I get the frustration.   Personally I was fine his remaining on Glee as long as  Chris  wanted, after all it's a steady paycheck and   It doesn't mean he's guaranteed success post Glee , but maybe, just maybe other projects might be possibilities to highlighting his skills as an actor/singer, or,  hell,.  even a marketable celebrity.  Maybe Chris was cool with his reduced role as some claim, maybe not, but that he was underutilized and used less and less as a POV character was pretty clear for several years.  IN a show  ostensibly about performing and love of music, his character rarely gets to sing anymore. 

I have no problem with Glee/Ryan/Brad not viewing Chris as a viable lead anymore, or highlighting him  (well TBH, I do have issues but ultimately it's their show) but If Chris was going to be sidelined regardless I don't think it's "hate" to want to see him in other possible roles.

Edited by caracas1914

I don't get their logic. Kurt was a breakout character, CC himself made the top 100 list for (was it?) Time's most influential people in 2011, there were tons of press about Kurt getting a boyfriend...and then more and more they diminished his importance. Sure, he was a main character and they've all pretty much gotten shafted, but TPTB really mishandled one of their main assets IMO.

.and then more and more they diminished his importance.

I"m not surprised that Chris  was used even less song wise (though not happy about it )  because Chris was never a vocalist favorite of RIB, but the lack of storylines or POV focus of Kurt was glaringly apparent.  

Other than the episode he wrote himself in Season 5, ODNW,  I can't recall the last time Chris/Kurt was the lead character or in a leading SL on Glee. 

I don't get their logic. Kurt was a breakout character, CC himself made the top 100 list for (was it?) Time's most influential people in 2011, there were tons of press about Kurt getting a boyfriend...and then more and more they diminished his importance. Sure, he was a main character and they've all pretty much gotten shafted, but TPTB really mishandled one of their main assets IMO.

Responding in the People in Charge thread.

I admit it's a pet peeve of mine how some fans project their dissatisfaction with Glee to how Chris personally feels, ie that he wanted off the show badly and could barely stand to work on the set anymore.

While I understand why some fans hate how the show has handled his character, Chris has always had a professional air about his Glee work.

FWIW I think Chris has his own opinions how he wished the scripts for Kurt would have gone, but he's never indicated he wanted OFF Glee, compard to say how Matt Morrison alluded to that in different interviews. Chris snarked about some SL's and fans expectations but who wouldn't??

Chris strikes me as a level headed guy who realizes how lucky he was to hit the mother lode with Glee , and a million plus salary a year isn't something he would give up that casually or nonchalantly. Plus I think he enjoyed working with his Glee "family" of cast and crew. The Crew certainly seems to have loved him.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5

Chris strikes me as a level headed guy who realizes how lucky he was to hit the mother lode with Glee , and a million plus salary a year isn't something he would give up that casually or nonchalantly. Plus I think he enjoyed working with his Glee "family" of cast and crew. The Crew certainly seems to have loved him.

Not only that, he met some of his best friends on Glee, from among both cast and crew. 

There's always projection from dissatisfied fans onto actors. I've seen that happen before, and no doubt will see it again. The view from the other side, the actor's side, is quite different. Chris isn't that hard to read, he lets slip what he likes and doesn't like. It's clear he won't miss the grueling schedule of Glee and some inane SL and probably the bts dramas, but as you say, he's never hinted that he wants to leave, even during twittergate last summer. Some bitter fans of his actually thought the hacked twitter was a pr manouvre to make it easier for him to leave, which - really!  

Edited by fakeempress

I've mentioned before, I understand the frustration of fans who personally WANTED him off the show for different reasons, but I could certainly see Chris rolling his eyes and thinking " Who the fuck are you to want me to give up a million dollar salary??"  LOL.

I find it interesting that almost against all odds, Chris has managed to make Kurt consistent in how he dealt with the Klaine relationship the last few years on Glee. Kurt is guarded, with his walls up and is puzzled, and frustrated with the insecurities of Blaine.

Part of this is because Kurt is a stronger character, and part of it I think is because Chris has a sense of who Kurt is and has tried to stick to it. When the writers had Kurt make all those jokes about Blaine infidelity with Eli, Chris played it as Kurt still having some issues/awkwardness in the relationship. Kurt almost seems puzzled by Blaine's questioning things. and Chris conveyed Kurt feeling smothered.

The writers have rarely, if ever, written Kurt as simply puppy dog in love in scenes with Blaine. The only character that Kurt is shown to have his defenses almost completely down with is Burt.

Part of the problem with Kurt is that the writers don't know how to write a strong confident character without artificial contrived obstacles. So they go time and time again that somehow those around him don't appreciate him even indirectly because of his effeminate gayness. When his gayness wasn't an issue in NY and NYADA, the writers don't seem sure what else to do with him.

The only other way the writers have obstacles for Kurt is to have speedbumps in his relationship with Blaine. That doesn't quite work either because it's hard to believe for a minute that Kurt wouldn't get up and continue with his lif even without Blaine . (The opposite isn't true). What rings false is when Kurt has to reiterate that Blaine is the best thing that ever happened to him, because it contradicts the strong character the GA sees who can handle adversity on his own.

This was hinted to yet again with the June Holladay SL in NY. She was almost contemptuous of Kurt and in the end says IIRC something like "You remind me of my third husband, he was gay too". So the writers have never quite figured out if Kurt can succeed or not, they keep telling us he's talented, but they shy away from giving him any actual tangible success, in the way they do Rachel and Mercedes.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Part of this is because Kurt is a stronger  character,  and part of it I think is because Chris has a sense of who Kurt is and has tried to stick to it.

Wrt the discussion in the Darren/Blaine thread, I suspect it's not only with Blaine, but in general the producers didn't really bother discussing the characters with the actors. I know Darren has talked about how he wasn't given much direction from the start (probably meaning not much more than the character breakdown from the auditions), but if we're to believe Chris, he wasn't given much more either. I have to look up which interview that was where he said about not getting much of a direction. I remember it came as a surprise to me because there was the assumption that Kurt was so well outlined and that he is Ryan's alter ego. Chris has also talked a few times how he took initial inspiration from Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada, and even his family cat, to give Kurt his attitude in Season 1, and about the mannerisms he gave Kurt, even joking they're becoming his own after a while rather than the other way round, like the sitting cross-legged and clasping his knee. I've heard many actors mention how even for the most episodic roles they make up full backstory and motivations for their characters, when they have basically none to go on. There was an interview with Oliver K-J where he talked about his elaborate backstory for Adam, and to many it sounded pretentious but that's what people especially those from acting academies are trained to do in order to play even a more cardboard or rudimentary character, they make up motivations for themselves when they aren't given them. 

Kurt also changed from his initial incarnation, which had its own acting challenges, but I agree that Chris managed to make him more consistent than what's on paper. It's not like he agreed with all the changes either, he's been relatively outspoken about this - just one example is Kurt's OOC refusal to take down Sebastian which Chris dissed in some interview. 

Part of the problem with Kurt is that the writers don't know how to write a strong confident character without artificial obstacles.  So they go time and time again that somehow those around him don't appreciate him even indirectly because of his effeminate gayness.  When his gayness wasn't an issue in NY and NYADA, the writers don't seem sure what else  to do with him.

It's true that Kurt's conflicts are mostly external, with other people and not so much with himself, and have to do with how the world sees him. This also got repetitive and tedious after a while. He was stuck in this perpetual circle of victim-moral centre type stories like the bullying, losing the election, failing the audition, being cheated on, etc. etc., I remember the huge backlash it created and the St. Kurt / matryr trope talk on TWOP. This was a writing problem which did no huge favours to the character. 

I remember the huge backlash it created and the St. Kurt / matryr trope talk on TWOP

It certainly didn't help when one of the recappers on TWOP make it his agenda to mock and hurl invectives at the Kurt characters at every turn.  So it amused me when posters started calling Blaine a Facebook fucker, how that same asshole hypocritical  recapper clutched his faux  pearls and called it trolling. 

Pot. kettle. Black.

Edited by caracas1914

It certainly didn't help when one of the recappers on TWOP make it his agenda to mock and hurl invectives at the Kurt characters at every turn.  So it amused me when posters started calling Blaine a Facebook fucker, how that same asshole hypocritical  recapper clutched his faux  pearls and called it trolling. 

Pot. kettle. Black.

Lol  Damian was in love with Blaine, he insisted calling him Dreamboat Blaine till the end. 

Let me just say that Chris Cofler has Kurt has evolved into one fine specimen whose body doesn't have to be hidden in layers of clothes.

I'm laughing at what perverts the costume deparment is with Kurt, fuck, can his pants wrapped around his ass be any TIGHTER ?

Geez Louise....

It's that little bit of sugar that makes the bitterness go down easier. I can always just hit the mute button and enjoy all the pretty.

We can all say a little prayer for the wonders that is lycra in that it allows the Glee costumers to fit Chris's wardrobe as tightly as possible while still allowing him adequate circulation to his feet.

We can all say a little prayer for the wonders that is lycra in that it allows the Glee costumers to fit Chris's wardrobe as tightly as possible while still allowing him adequate circulation to his feet.

It's not the circulation of his feet I'm worried about in those pants.

Edited by Glorfindel

The Noel upcoming movie is interesting because its supose to be Noel Coward from age 15 through 25, so it pretty much ends with Chris real life age. The accent is going to be fun to hear since even among the British Noel was very distinct, almost a parody of the English accent. Noel was not to the manor born and his style of speakng in part was because his mother was deaf.

Noel: The rest of the cast hasn't been announced yet , including who plays the character's mother.

Side note:

Last summer in interviews Chris has said he's overseeing other writers so I'm wondering if he's setting up a production company.

They've announced Vanessa Redgrave, Ian McKellen, and Jonathan Pryce, but I doubt Redgrave (or the other two!) are playing Mom. Angela Landsbury also tweeted Chris about the film and put in a plug to get cast, but I don't think she'd play the mom either!

Last summer in interviews Chris has said he's overseeing other writers so I'm wondering if he's setting up a production company.

I think this is very likely. If it hasn't happened by now, it certainly will. 

Angela Landsbury also tweeted Chris about the film and put in a plug to get cast, but I don't think she'd play the mom either!

She's way too old for the mom, and depending on the shooting schedule, she isn't available. She's touring with the West End production of Blithe Spirit and Chris went to see it in LA, that's probably what the tweet was about.

I'm sure Chris will get criticized plenty for the accent, regardless if he's spot on. But it does seem like a very ambitious project for his first big post-Glee move. And he'll get to sing!

I too think the accent will be the biggest hurdle for Chris, it's not easy to do. I hope he can pull it off.

I didn't know NC's biography and from what little I read on Wiki, seems the age bracket the movie will cover is quite interesting. 

Well Glee wraps up this week and we know that Chris is scheduled to appear in the Glee Paley Panel on March 13 so I'm guessing the Noel movie doesn't start production in England until the latter half of March at the earliest.

Edited by caracas1914

She's [Angela Lansbury] way too old for the mom, and depending on the shooting schedule, she isn't available. She's touring with the West End production of Blithe Spirit and Chris went to see it in LA, that's probably what the tweet was about.

No, she was tweeting (tongue in cheek about gunning for a part, I assume) about the Noel Coward film. She said, "@chriscolfer Best of luck on your upcoming Noel Coward project! Perhaps there is a part for Dame Angela in it."

From what I saw, the tour ends by April, unless they extend or continue back in London, so it's possible for her to be in the movie. Who knows. I wish they announced more cast already, and Chris let on about the start date of the shoot. 

No, she was tweeting (tongue in cheek about gunning for a part, I assume) about the Noel Coward film. She said, "@chriscolfer Best of luck on your upcoming Noel Coward project! Perhaps there is a part for Dame Angela in it."

Ah, that's Angela Lansbury News fan twitter, sorry to disappoint. Not her (don't think she's on twitter). They just responded to Chris's tweet about seeing her in Blithe Spirit just before Christmas

Btw, I saw this production and recommend it if it comes your way, the acting is great. 

Edited by fakeempress

Ah, that's Angela Lansbury News fan twitter, sorry to disappoint. Not her (don't think she's on twitter). They just responded to Chris's tweet about seeing her in Blithe Spirit just before Christmas

Btw, I saw this production and recommend it if it comes your way, the acting is great.

No disappointment here--I have no investment in what Ms Lansbury or her fan-based twitter think about anything. I just picture British women of her generation speaking of themselves in the third person, so it sounded legit to me.

Right now, with the cast that we already know have been lined up for this production, Chris is going to have the chance to work with some of the most respected and accomplished British actors. I mean, Sir Ian McKellan and Dame Vanessa Redgrave - these two have pretty much been nominated for and/or won every acting award ever invented. This is an enormous opportunity for Chris to learn and grow as a performer from some absolute masters of the craft.

I have to give Chris credit that he's ambitious as a performer. This can be the kind of film that can really establish him as a credible film actor but it's going to be an enormous challenge. He's going to be playing one of the most recognizable personalities in British theater and cinema and there's no question that his performance is going to be picked over and critiqued within an inch of it's life. But that he's still taking on that challenge and has the support of the Noel Coward estate (as well as being the actor courted by the producers to accept the role) really shows how much confidence TPTB behind this film have in his abilities.

Possibly a refreshing change?

Definitely.

Although I don't think TPTB of Glee lack confidence of Chris' abilities, as they know exactly when they need him to do the heavy lifting in scenes and yes, even some songs. It's just that they for the most part want to ignore his possibilities (and populaity) and refuse to use him in the show as much as those abilities should warrant, because they apparently prefer to push some others instead.

But it is indeed very nice and satisfying to see how other showrunners and industry people acknowledge, appreciate and respect Chris' talents as an actor, and also singer.

I'm really looking forward to the Noel Coward movie. It's amazing they came to him for that project.

Hopefully we'll get some juicy BTS stuff when they start filming.

Edited by Glorfindel

I am hopeful  that Chris will post more about the movie shoot on twitter and IG than now for Glee. Since the cray Klainers and tinhatters can't expect (one should think) to get any Klaine or CC riots our of the movie at all, hopefully they'll take their BS out of his social media, and he'll feel more at ease. 

The Noel director seems to have taken to social media and set up and IG account for this production company, so he at least will probably be posting.

I think it's hilarious that the show wrote a fifty plus character to date Kurt to give it a definite end shelf like and "just no" factor but damn if the little they've given Kurt and Walter make it appear that even if it isn't an endgame romance, they might actually enjoy each others' company( and sex) in a good way.

Walter lied but gave Kurt an out once they met, and Kurt seems attracted by Walter who is  a nice guy with more than  a bit of snark to amuse Kurt. 

The fact that Rachel and Sam go on a double date with Kurt/Walter amuses me no end.

I actually like Walter, if only for the fact that he's not allowing anyone to push Kurt around. The way he told off Sue and then deflected Blaine (who apparently believed that Kurt would just be waiting for him to swoop in now that he decided that he wanted Kurt back) really warmed my heart.

I'm also rather happy to see a comfortable friendship that seems to be going on between Kurt and Sam. It had always frustrated me that they started these two off as supportive friends (with Sam being one of the few to really defend Kurt against Karofsky and Kurt helping Sam while his family was homeless) and then threw it under the bus in order to make Blam happen. They seems really at ease with one another, with Sam happily putting "a little something extra" into Kurt's drink at the party.

Yeah, I like Sam and Kurt as friends. Although, didn't the writers have him say in S4 or S5 that he didn't get Kurt? (And CC wrote Sam decently in ODNT. Too bad that was thrown out this season for more extremely stupid Sam.)

Edited by indeed

Yeah, I like Sam and Kurt as friends. Although, didn't the writers have him say in S4 or S5 that he didn't get Kurt? (And CC wrote Sam decently in ODNT. Too bad that was thrown out this season for more extremely stupid Sam.)

Didn't they have Burt ask in City of Angels if Sam knew Kurt? Didn't Sam live with them in season three? I like them as friends too. The writers seemed to forget Kurt could have male friends too.

I'm also rather happy to see a comfortable friendship that seems to be going on between Kurt and Sam.

Yup it's nice to see that this year, and one of the nice things actually about the characters in NY Glee in the last 7 episodes was that they were all friends, with no "forced" rivalries or tension.  Well, except for Klaine, LOL.

• Love 1

Yup the show seemed so intent on isolating Kurt from most of the male characters, sans Blaine, in Season 3, it was so bizarre.

Season 4 and 5 it was more that Kurt outside of Lima, Ohio being a gay in NY was sort of a non issue. The Vogue.com guy seemed to flirt with him, He had a friendly vibe with Brody, became pals with Elliot and was even oogled by the NYADA boys.

So sticking back in Lima for Season 6, it's good to see he can get along with the other guys, and it's nice the ND kids seem to respect him as a teacher/choir director.

TBH, I don't think they cared enough to tailor songs to his voice. My own guess is that one of the factors was because Chris had no visible interest in a recording career, so they didn't have a vested interest in highlighting his voice. At one point Lea, Darren, Naya, Amber all had album projects pending, especially in the time frame of Season 3 when Glee itunes were still probably near their peak.

Makes no sense to me, since he was a leading character with a strong fanbase (arguably only surpassed by Lea/Rachel) . It's over now anyways, and I do think he will probably sing in other projects.

Actually in NOEL he will probably sing/talk in that Noel Coward style a couple of songs, so there's that.