Type keyword(s) to search

Chris Colfer/Kurt Hummel

(edited)

What event in NYC?

ETA: Ah, never mind, I found it. Periscope Summit. He could pre-tape or do a live feed if he's still in the UK filming, but a "quick" trip over the ocean could be a nice little break in there.

Edited by indeed

Periscope is that twitter app that can convert any mobile device into a broadcasting platform, which resulted in people watching the Pacquiao/Mayweather boxing match through periscope. Pay per view was not thrilled at all.

I wonder if Chris has used it in part when having his Land of Stories webchats.

Tumblr folks are speculating the title of Chris Noel Coward movie. The director used SMLB in a twitter post, and favorited a tweet asking if it was the name of the movie.

One of Noel Coward's song "If Love were all" has the lyrics "Since my life began".

Morrisey is a very vocal anti-Monarchist in the UK from what I gather.

Americans who seem smitten with the British royal family (like Chris C.) don't think of the politics, I suppose because we don't have to foot the tax bill for them...LOL.

(edited)

What was up with that hair!?! LOL

For some reason, it gets extra up on the book tours. Traditionally peaks on the Chicago daytime tv show.  

A pity no games but he still looked  good and some funny anecdotes he talked about

Hard to top "I will make love to you.-- I will too." It was shortish but he was funny (and looked like he'd caught some sun), Jimmy did a great promo for the book. And there's an IG of Chris chilling and making faces with Morrissey crooning in the background -- accidental bucket list item!

Edited by fakeempress

The young director of Chris' upcoming Noel biopic has been getting some good buzz/reviews for his debut film "Chicken" at the Edinburgh film festival.

It's suppose to start filming August 10, 2015.

http://www.heyuguys.com/interview-joe-a-stephenson-chicken/

What are you able to say at this stage about your new project ‘Noel’?

"We haven’t started filming yet, but we’ve commenced pre-production to give ourselves as much lead time as possible. It’s a completely different beast to Chicken, a different level of filmmaking with its own set of complications. Whether it be talent diaries or complex finance plans, you juggle everything until it all settles in the right place. It’s frustrating because you set a date, then something out of your control sets it back a few months, but those frustrations come with their own upsides: those few months mean you can do more extensive prep work, or suddenly the actor who wasn’t available now is! It’s a very exciting project, and I think a surprising one in terms of what people might expect from a Noel Coward biopic, so I can’t wait to start filming!"

Interesting spin on the gay marriage thing:

“I never thought getting married would become such a stereotypical ‘gay thing’ to do,” says 25-year-old actor Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel on “Glee”). “In just a few years, what was discussed as only a prospect has now become an expectation in my circle of friends. I can’t tell you how many hysterical arguments I’ve gotten into by defending my right not to get married.”

(edited)

I'm not sure what the mixed signal is.

Chris was pretty clear in his interviews per the Klaine engagement SL that he thought it was stupid to have characters in their teens rush into marriage, he felt it was the wrong message for people that age.

So I think that Chris agrees in the principle of marriage equality, would probaly hope for it in the future, but at 25 he feels no burning desire to do it now. The point I got from his quote was that no one should be obligated to rush into something like marriage simply because of some social agenda.

One can want the option,( ie the right to marry) and then choose not to exercise it.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
(edited)

Didn't he say he wanted the ring in the past? I can see not being ready for it at this stage in his life, but there are some mixed messages.

There's no mixed message. In a red carpet sound bite after gay marriage initiatives first started gaining steam, Colfer was asked about gay marriage and he said something to the effect of marriage had never been something he thought would be a possibility for him, but lately he was starting to think maybe he'd like a ring on his finger someday. Hardly some gushing evidence of how desperately he wants to get married.

The mixed message meme is simply an idea perpetuated by those who are shocked and dismayed by Colfer's refusal to live his life according to the bizarre fantasy that he would ever be attracted to Darren Criss in real life.

Edited by Myrna123
  • Love 3
(edited)

Didn't he say he wanted the ring in the past? I can see not being ready for it at this stage in his life, but there are some mixed messages.

The old quote at the reading of "8" : "I, myself never really thought [marriage] was an option until the last five years when all this began," Colfer, who is openly gay, said. "As I get older, I just want a ring on my finger. I can't explain. I don't know if it's a wedding ring - well maybe it's a promise ring of some kind - but I definitely want a ring of some kind."  

Let me know where this quote from three years ago says he wants to get married or not, specifically.  In fact, neither quote is an indication of his definitive decision either way (which decision is up to him, and he could change his mind any way he wanted).

It was very ugly on tumblr and twitter, right on the heels of the SCOTUS decision no less - tinhatters and bitter Klainers called him a homophobe (!) for saying the expectation raised by the new right doesn't mean it's now an obligation. It hasn't been for straight people -- which is why the pearl-clutching is hilariously anachronistic, but of course tinhatters have a very warped sense of sexual identity, gender "roles", and personal choice.

The new quote is about the power to make the choice for oneself, and not to have it made for you by law and government by denying it, or by family/friends and social circle through peer pressure. I'd say he's been pretty consistent in wanting to decide for himself.  It would be another matter if he were imposing his choice on other people -- but not the case. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

I get what he was saying but I just think it was sort of phrased a little awkwardly. The "stereotypical gay thing" is probably what made some people balk. But I get what he's saying and Adam Lambert essentially said something similar a few years ago, when he was still dating his ex and being asked about marriage. He wanted it made clear that yes he supported same sex marriage because at the end of the day, the fight for marriage equality was for members of the LGBT community to have the right, if they so chose, to get married. It didn't mean he personally had any desire or plans to get married anytime soon. 

(edited)

It's very clear what he meant by stereotypical, because he explained it. I'd maybe get the pearl clutching if his explanation wasn't there.

There is also a well known aspect to the marriage discourse specifically within the gay community, which is lost to the "balkers" . There isn't a uniformly positive attitude there towards marriage -- not the legal right, but the institution, and that specifically the legal rights and protections gained now should be tied to the institution of marriage. Some still view gay marriage as conforming to a straight model, and would rather remain distinctive in their institutional arrangements to preserve separate (non-straight) identity. I'm not saying Chris holds this view, but that it's part of the discourse.  

Edited by fakeempress

Poor Chris... now having straight person problems.

Most people his age who are in stable relationships get pestered about when they plan to settle down. Chris has been with Will for an extended period so it's pretty natural for people to float the question about them wanting to get married. I give Chris a lot of credit in acknowledging that it's not something that he wants to do (or isn't ready for) at this stage of his life. He's still quite young and is entering a transitional phase of his career. It takes a lot of maturity to be able to stand up to societal/family pressure to rush into marriage before he's ready.

• Love 1
(edited)
The mixed message meme is simply an idea perpetuated by those who are shocked and dismayed by Colfer's refusal to live his life according to the bizarre fantasy that he would ever be attracted to Darren Criss in real life.

Or it could be that those who thought it was awkward wording that seems like a bit of a step back from his red carpet quote about wanting a ring on his finger don't give a flying hoot about how Chris feels about Darren Chris.  Believe it or not, someone can think that Chris could have worded something more artfully and not care one iota about Darren. Those who think that every, even mild criticism of Chris, is some how related to a Darren fan agenda come across as myopically focused stans of Chris as those Darren stans who are obsessed with Darren/Chris being a couple.  

That said, good on Chris on not bowing to pressure to get married if he isn't ready to get married.  That is a personal decision that someone has to make, no matter their sexual orientation or recent Supreme Court decision.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 3

The people harassing Chris on twitter about this were definitely 99% crisscolfer tinhatters (the usual suspects), or former tinhatters and Klainers who hate Chris now because he won't play along with them or gush about Klaine and/or Darren, as you can easily go visit and read their twitter accounts to check who they stan/ship.

As for that ring on his finger quote: that was said by him on the red carpet of 'Prop 8', in March 2012, at an event that was about lgbtqia+ rights, so it was kind of expected of him to give a very positive soundbite about same sex marriage to the media.

Plus that was over 3 years ago, before he was even in a long term committed relationship, so he could have changed his mind now, or still want to marry at some point in his life to get that ring on his finger, but not right now while he's still so young, and while his career is promising but still uncertain and keeps him occupied. And furthermore: Chris never even said he wanted to get married then (in 2012), only that he felt he wanted some kind of ring on his finger someday, not necessarily a wedding ring, but maybe a promise ring.

So I don't think that him (jokingly I might add) defending his right not to marry (right now at 25) is some 180 degrees turn from that first quote.

Two quotes from Chris from the AOLBuild.com interview:

"I mean, I would absolutely love to, I’d love to and I’ve had many, many meetings and whatnot about doing it and I think I’m just kind of looking for the right thing. I really want to originate or create something new, whether in a new musical or a new play or a revival, just as long as it’s new. I can’t wait and yeah, there are things in the works but I gotta do it, it’s in my blood, I can’t not."

"[The Land of Stories] movies are in the works."

It seems like Chris has a few future projects in the works besides the Noel Coward biopic, and hopefully not only as a writer but as an actor too.

I'm curious if the Land of Stories movie adaptation comes to fruition if Chris would try his hand in writing the screenplay.

I liked  his mentioning possible future stage projects, as it gives me  the impression he is invested fully in his acting career.

Well, I'm at the Barnes & Noble for the NYC book signing and it's a hell of a scene. Super long line outside and all of the wristbands for the reading were snatched up quickly (I got mine, thankfully). And to thank us for coming out and waiting in the heat to see him, Chris sent us cookies to enjoy.

I'm very much enjoying Colferpolooza 2015 - he's certainly giving us some insight into his future projects (which seem numerous) and it's a relief to see that the writing isn't distracting from his acting aspirations.

• Love 1

One his on air interviews today , Chris said that he thinks as both an actor and a writer, it's essentially(for him) being a storyteller.

Explained again how he conceptualizes in his acting and writing others.

He also mentioned that when a director wants you do do something that is not consistent with a character you're portraying it is both heartbreaking and frustrating.

Gee, wonder what real experiences he's pulling that from.

• Love 1
(edited)

He also mentioned that when a director wants you do do something that is not consistent with a character you're portraying it is both heartbreaking and frustrating.

Gee, wonder what real experiences he's pulling that from.

I'm listening to the same radio interview right now, and it's so on the nose. No doubt he wasn't happy how Kurt was handled especially towards the end. Not that he shied from saying stuff before, but the hindsight now sounds very resigned and disappointed, or rather disillusioned. "It's heartbreaking when you're led to a direction you don't want to go." There were other interesting parts, about the control he likes to have over his own stuff, and about ambition. 

Edited by fakeempress

Again Chris voices his disdain for the celebrity part of his vocation ("Hollywood crap") and how he focuses on having a passion for what he's doing, with pride in the craft.

As I suspected, he mentions that the writing success/careers gives him the luxury of being selective for future acting roles. However I was a little puzzled when he mentioned the Noel movie commencing sometime before the end the year, when supposedly it's starting production in August.

(edited)

His promo rounds have (naturally) talking points, and coming to Broadway sounds like one from these couple or so interviews. Sure he was asked before and mentioned in the same vein that he'd love to do original stuff, but was more like, whenever. Now seems to me he's sort of campaigning with a plan. But lol EW radio confirming he doesn't wanna do Hedwig --I can't decide if the interviewers or his people were behind that, and about going to see his ex castmates in their shows. Seems a bit too geared to all the crap on his social media. Hasn't been a day in the last couple months without a "go see Hedwig", today no exception.  

There was a rumour he was going to be on DWTS?? In any case, he shut it down.

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

Per the EW audio interview:

“I recently got a call from the director [of the Noël Coward biopic] who told me that I was in too good shape to be Noël Coward and I had to stop going to the gym, which is the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me, ever."

Makes me wonder if Noel Coward will be portrayed as an outsider , or perhaps I'm overthinking it and it's simply because the director knows most guys in the Edwardian era were not gym rats. : )

Especially as a 15 year old since the movie as Noel encompasses that age and goes up to 25 years old.

Though On a selfish note I would prefer a toned and buff Chris in those Edwardian clothes. LOL

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

On his recent slate of interviews in his latest Land Of Strories book tour, Chris revealed several things.

The first 3 Land of Stories book have sold over a million copies domestically. (does not include sales of Book #4)

He is committed with his publishing company for more books through 2020.

There is negotiations for a movie adaptation of the series.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

'The Land Of Stories' series is now a #1 New York Time bestselling series.  (link)

(His first book in the series already got him the #1 bestselling author title in children's books in 2012.)

To add to this: Chris' latest book from the series, 'The Land of Stories 4: Beyond the Kingdoms', debutes on #10 on the USA Today bestselling list (all books, all genres). (link)

It's also currently sold out at both Amazon and Barnes&Noble online.

(I finally got my own copy of TLoS4 in the mail today, yay!!!)

-ETA-

And this was Chris' understandable quite emotional reaction to the news: instagram.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's an amazing success for Chris to be ranked up top next to HP, I bet he actually pinched himself. Not surprising he was in tears to get it for solely his own creation, it's an author's dream come true. 

It doesn't hurt either that it can be cottage-industried in the good sense, across platforms, like the spinoff releases and the tentative screen plans.

Edited by fakeempress