Type keyword(s) to search

Chris Colfer/Kurt Hummel

(edited)

I am always suspect when a celebrity falls on the "I was hacked" excuse, though I do know it happens since Adam Lambert interestingly had his twitter practically hijacked right after he was on American Idol and it took like weeks for whoever it was to stop and Twitter to fix it. So it does happen. I think the main reason I believe this wasn't Chris is that it seemed uncharacteristic of him. I follow Chris and frankly, his tweets are fairly impersonal. 

He talks about his cat, lately his dog, a few shows he enjoys and his books. I mean maybe he was more active when he first started but now his tweets are pretty basic and inoffensive. So I just could not see him mentioning personal issues or whatever in a tweet and basically alluding to being fired. It seemed more in his nature to have the official announcement come out and then he'd probably make some PC tweet about appreciating the show and all the years, etc. So that's what immediately made me go, "huh..." when I saw this. 

Of course there are still some "sources" claiming like Naya he no longer has access to the Paramount lot. Honestly Glee is just a sad, sad clusterfuck at this point that I won't be surprised if there is some drama going on with regards to Chris and the show. And frankly, I know some might take this as a criticism against Chris but I don't mean it as one, I do think Chris has seemed completely over and checked out of Glee. And it's not like I blame him because the show is just so awful. At this rate I'll be amazed if they get even more than 10 episodes that FOX will just throw on Friday nights to wrap it all up.

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

I actually think because Chris seems over it all there is even less possibility for some drama.  He will come to set for however long they film the final season, hit his marks, say his lines, and go along his merry way.  He may be absent for a few episodes due to "Noel" but given that this show has to have had severe budget cuts that may be a plus for both Glee and Chris.

As for Naya not having access to the Paramount lot that actually wouldn't surprise me.  Something really bad went down during the filming of 520 given that they cut her part completely at the last minute.  

Edited by camussie
(edited)
I actually think because Chris seems over it all there is even less possibility for some drama.

You know I hear this all the time, but TBH, I think Chris has always kept a studied distance from  Glee vis a vis himself for most of the show's run.   He's never been (bless her heart) "rah rah" ala Lea Michele nor on the other end of spectrum openly voice his frustration about  still being on the show ala  Matt Morrison.

Even his twitter through the years has very little Glee references, other than the occasional sound bite.

It's just his personality to keep things close to the vest and not let others in, I mean he said very little about Cory's death other than to lament 12 year olds trying to tell him how to grieve. 

The fact that he doesn't gush about Klaine is shown as "proof" of his checking out, but it's probably more  the fallout of the CrissColfer fans, other assorted crazy stans/fans and his own  common sense in thinking that a teenage engagement marriage is a WTF insane ongoing storyline.  Despite the character Kurt's popularity  Chris  own Kurt  SL's and screentime has been seriously curtailed the last few years  so it just seems to me  that it's more that Glee and it's writers are the ones "over" the character of Kurt/Chris.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
(edited)

Obviously it's subjective but when I say I think Chris is over it I'm not referring to Klaine only or his being a rah-rah cheerleader over Glee. Because yes that's never been his personality but I disagree that he hasn't shown more interest and excitement in the past when talking about the character and/or the show. Again this is not some criticism on Chris' acting abilities (I would never dare...) but more that I get a sense of detachment from him both while in character and the few times I've recently seen/read him discussing the show.

And to be honest, like you said, other than Lea, I think the majority of the cast is pretty much over it. And how can you blame them when they're basically given such utter shit to perform. These people are not stupid or delusional, at least I don't think so. They all see the writing on the wall and they all know and realize that the show is pretty much dead in the water at this point and is just limping along to a finish line. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

Well FWIW  I don't think Lea, Darren or Chord are "over" it for a very basic reason:  they are now  the undisputed  leads of the show  who will get most of the screentime, the songs and the SL's while the show finishes up.

I don't blame them at all for their "enthusiasm",  but there is a direct correlation to how they are used in the show versus Chris, Naya and Matt Morrison who some may think are "checked out".   You could probably add Kevin to this latter group.

Jane I felt was always different because she's always been used more as a glorified guest star who is the highest paid on the show per episode so to her the show is all gravy.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

For me it is not his attitude regarding Glee as I agree he has never been as effusive as many on the show, especially Lea.  For me it is how detached his acting has seemed for a while now.  For the most part I haven't see him putting a lot of energy into his performance as Kurt since around the middle of season 4.   I think others (Kevin and Naya) for example are probably just as over it but I don't think it has been reflected as much in their performances.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1
For the most part I haven't see him putting a lot of energy into his performance as Kurt

I don't know, he certainly showed a lot of energy knocking the bag lunch off the piano in the Season finale.  :O)

• Love 1
(edited)
Well FWIW  I don't think Lea, Darren or Chord are "over" it for a very basic reason:  they are now  the undisputed  leads of the show  who will get most of the screentime, the songs and the SL's while the show finishes up.

Hasn't Lea always been a lead on the show? At least I've certainly always thought she was. But that being said, to each his own really, but this is one thing I have zero interest in doing - the whole who is getting screentime, songs, fairness, etc. etc. To each his own, maybe that's not the point but frankly, I'm sorry, but I just feel like who cares? It's all shit, all of it. The storylines, the characters, the songs, etc. So like who the hell even cares any more and does it even matter other than for maybe the 100 fans who'll watch the last few episodes that FOX will throw into the schedule at some point. 

For the most part I haven't see him putting a lot of energy into his performance as Kurt since around the middle of season 4.

This exactly. Perfect example, the hospital scene with Burt after Kurt was bashed. That's the first time I can remember ever feeling absolutely nothing watching a Kurt and Burt scene. Mike O'Malley was trying but I got nothing from Chris Colfer and again I'm not necessarily judging him for it. Considering some of the comments he's made in the past about Kurt always crying, always being a victim, I imagine he read the script and thought, "oh joy, Kurt gets shit on again..."

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
Of course there are still some "sources" claiming like Naya he no longer has access to the Paramount lot.

Even if this were true, it really doesn't necessarily mean anything.  They aren't actual Paramount employees so they'd have contractor badges anyway.  Contractor badges usually have to be reset in the system every so often (e.g., every 6 months or so depending on what's programmed).  They don't have a need to be in on set right now, so nobody's probably bothered to update it.  Being written out of episodes is a different situation, but badge access during a hiatus is whatever.

(edited)

I think they are all over glee in  some sense, since they know it is ending anyway.   Chris could always get away with being nonchalant about glee or even sarcastic.  It is his personality.   Lea on the other hand can not be.  She has to upbeat about it in public at least. Its her personality and frankly would be criticized if it was perceived she wasn't still grateful for glee.  Lea at this point or season 5 at least wanted to work and be busy.

That said my first thought was Chris wouldn't report this on twitter and he would not have  written the tweet that way.

If he left for personal reason it would have been written For erosional reasons I have been grant release from my glee contract for season 6 or something.

The way it was written sounded like they let hims go cause he had personal issues.

Edited by tom87

Yup. Never liked this to be honest. She has to be overly enthusiastic 24/7 and can't even hint at the idea that she finds some of Glee's story lines to be shitty but someone like Chris can easily get away with being completely over it and never having to promote Glee at all. Same for Darren saying some shit in the past. 

I think they are all ready for the show to end.

Taking to Lea thread.

But that being said, to each his own really, but this is one thing I have zero interest in doing - the whole who is getting screentime, songs, fairness, etc. etc. To each his own, maybe that's not the point but frankly, I'm sorry, but I just feel like who cares? It's all shit, all of it. 

Well, you're missing my point.  The question isn't whether Chris is over Glee as much as Glee is over Chris.  A three minute cameo or simply being used to prop Rachel or Blaine doesn't require all that much acting muscles as far as Chris, and sometimes it got downward awkward when he was used in Season 4 to promote an episode he wasn't even appearing in.

As to whether his acting has deteriorated on the show because he's apathetic over the show, well, WOW, talking about mileage varying on that one.

Ditto Naya and Matt Morrison, I think three of the most neglected actors on the show still do some of the most stellar acting/performing. 

• Love 1

I do not thing they are over Kurt purposely.  I think they don't know what to write for him without making it maudlin or  risk  making Kurt the bad guy.  Yes that is weak .  But  the more they write the more damage they do to a character.

(edited)

According to CC himself (confirmed twice--in the Marvel podcast and to a fan on the street), Noel is filming next year.

Edited by indeed

According to CC himself (confirmed twice--in the Marvel podcast and to a fan on the street), Noel is filming next year.

Interesting. I have to say I found it a bit odd when the press release about his being in the movie had filming scheduled for this August but it was stating that Ian McKellan and Vanessa Redgrave were still only in talks and not officially signed on. That seemed really quick for a movie that didn't have an entire confirmed cast. 

(edited)

I don't know if it matters much - Darren stated multiple times all last summer that while marriage equality was great it didn't mean that it was a good idea for two teenagers to rush off and get engaged. And well as we all know, Season 5 happened. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I love that Chris is spending his summer vaction advocating that Klaine not get married.

Hah, he can say it as many times as he wants, I have a good feeling that Ryan Murphy will not let this show end without a Blaine/Kurt wedding. Then maybe a child.

It doesn't really matter what RIB does at this stage. Chris's career outside of Glee has begun to take off, with two lead film roles. His books are on the best sellers lists. He's gotten offers for guest spots on other shows (the episode of Hot in Cleveland airs next week). He's hinted at multiple other projects that are still in the works. Chris no longer needs to be featured on Glee in order for his extended career to get traction.

What makes absolutely no sense is that the show has failed to take advantage of Chris's critical regard and popularity, instead deciding to spend seasons four, five and now six trying to make Darren and Chord happen (failing to do so and having the quality of the show suffering as a result). At this point Chris is just fulfilling his obligation with his usual professionalism and grace and in a few months, he'll be completely free.

(edited)

Chris still gets a lot of exposure on the show though. This past season alone he sang with multiple high profile guest stars, had the opportunity to write an episode and was one of only roughly a quarter of the cast to be featured in New York.

Edited by Pink ranger
(edited)

I agree that he gets exposure from the show, he's still "Chris Colfer from Glee" to a lot of the GA.  However the writing career is building himself a completely separate niche/profile even now and apparently the LOS books as a series sells very well.  The Noel movie with Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave, the RoboDog lead character 3 D animated movie, etc pretty much shows he's made the transition post Glee already, at least to the point he's got projects/offers.

On Glee his screen time has been reduced so that he doesn't get independent story lines anymore (at least without Blaine) but at this point it's almost irrelevant, it won't impact the profile's he's built up.  Other then the Klaine engagement/wedding the character of Kurt hasn't been hinted of having any kind of SL arc for season 6.

For Season 6 , the cast theoretically will be as pared down as much as it's ever been (Naya, Jenna and Amber are apparently not regulars) but based on past history, that won't translate to more screentime/songs for Kurt/Chris.

Edited by caracas1914

I mostly want to hear Chris's thoughts on Klaine after the show ends. Haha, I always feel like Chris is one step away from just absolutely going balls to the wall with expressing his utter distaste and contempt for Blaine/Kurt and a co-star or two. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I never got the impression Chris had any antipathy specifically to the character of Blaine or even a relationship between Kurt and Blaine. His reservations/ambivalence seems more based upon how the "Klaine" of it all has swallowed whole Kurt getting individual development. He doesn't want Kurt's endgame and happiness predicated or defined by just being in a relationship.

Thus his saying he wants Kurt to be happy with himself, feels the boys are too young to get engaged much less married, jokes that he wants Kurt to date other guys, etc which really all of this is his vested interest in Kurt as an individual character.

However it all gets translated to how Chris "hates" Klaine.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

I could totally understand Chris feeling some frustration in how his character has been used over the past few seasons. Kurt really hadn't existed as a character in his own right with his own storylines and nearly everything that happens to him is used to support Blaine and Rachel's stories. His few successes (like winning Midnight Madness and his amazing first NYADA audition) were more about the very rare times that Rachel fell short (evidenced by the focus being given to Rachel's feelings afterwards rather than allowing Kurt to actually enjoy his victories). Having Kurt getting to perform before June Dolloway was more about engineering a way for Blaine to be connected to June and if it ends up being another slap to the character who's already been smacked down more times than I could count, so what? As far as the writers are concerned, Blaine was the important one there.

I've always taken it that Chris's acting choices come from a storyteller's perspective. He sees Kurt's story as a whole which is why he adds so many layers to scenes where a weaker actor would just gaze adoringly. I think that we got a good sense of how Chris sees Kurt from the episode that he penned, where Kurt was finally given a voice to complain about how he's treated as a crutch by those around him (and ignored when it suited their whims) and that he wanted his own successes and not just to stand around to help Rachel and Blaine to their inevitable rise to stardom. And he dropped an interesting bit of dialogue in his most recent book where a character complained about being seen only as half of a joined pairing and not having individuality in her own right (and that being the worst thing in the world). He's been throwing a lot of shade about wanting to see Kurt having more independent storylines that don't immediately get tied to Rachel or Blaine and to have Kurt enjoying his own successes rather than just being happy for others.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 2

Yup, I doubt that Chris loathes the character of Rachel or the actress Lea Michele, and Hummelberry is one of the cornerstone relationships on the show.

Yet in an interview he said Kurt's happiness shouldn't be predicated on the success of a BFF. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he was talking about the character of Rachel vis-a-vis Kurt.

My own take is that Chris is realistic and pragmatic of what Glee is at this point but can't help but give his opinion how he would love things to be.

I can't remember the last time they gave Kurt a juicy dramatic storyline, RIB was way too busy the last couple of years giving the Noobs a school shooting to chew, catfishing, eating disorders or on exploring the epic romance of Samcedes.

(edited)

Season 2. That was alot of Kurt in the first half of the season.

I would say he had a lot to do in S3 as well. A key storyline of S3 was Rachel and Kurt's NYADA dream which included the election story and the West Side story, Sebastian who was supposed to be some romantic foil for Kurt and Blaine, really was more just a rival to Kurt, there was the creepy and annoying as hell to me Karofsky story and the writers actually attempted to give him and Blaine some relationship focus every 10 episodes or so. 

I will concede that the split diminished Kurt's screentime and storylines significantly because the writers were just incredibly lazy when it came writing for the NY narrative and what little attention they gave it, was dedicated to Rachel. And things just went downhill completely with the show and S5 isn't even worth mentioning really and that's really how things just all went to shit. And I did get the feeling that by mid-S4 onwards, the writers didn't know how or what to write for Kurt anymore. Of course to be fair, I think at this point that can be said for every character on the show.

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)
Dont forget Bash when Kurt had a storyline inspired by the recent  news stories of Gay bashings in New York.

Actually that's a  good example on how the writers can't write for the characters anymore.   There was no rhyme nor reason why Kurt got bashed, there was no connection to the guy who the show opened with Kurt and company going to the candlelight vigil for, there was no followup as to how that bashing impacted Kurt in his view of things or even his life.

It was at most the C storyline of the episode, and even that might have worked if there was any details sketched in, as it was it was hard to even get emotionally involved in the bashing, other than the topicality of it all.

the writers didn't know how or what to write for Kurt anymore.

The irony is that by not making Kurt the targeted "victim" (ie he rushes in when  someone else is apparently getting gay bashed) the writers actually  made him more simply just a victim.   There was absolutely nothing about Kurt in the storyline.

Edited by caracas1914

I'm reaching the point where I just can't be too upset that the odds are that Chris will get minimal focus in Glee's final season. He's got so much now going out outside of Glee (with his animated film set to open in mid-January and start filming the Noel Coward biopic right after he finishes filming Glee) that the only consideration Glee deserves at this stage is to satisfy his contract and to just wind down the clock. He's already gained everything possible that he could hope for - critical acclaim, legitimate acting awards and a strong industry reputation as a talented, hard working actor - and Glee is no longer in a position to help anyone's careers at this stage.

Hopefully Chris will have some enjoyable scenes (what little they can tear away from Lea and Darren) and get some halfway decent work done so that the final season isn't a complete waste of his time and talent.

(edited)
He's got so much now going out outside of Glee (with his animated film set to open in mid-January and start filming the Noel Coward biopic right after he finishes filming Glee)

Plus his "Land of Stories" series is going like gangbusters and it appears he's in negotiations for a film adaptation of it.

Edited by caracas1914

Not really.  He still follows Blaine back to Lima and essentially puts his schooling on hold to do so.  Sure he gets some class credit for helping out with New Directions but that certainly can't be 12 or 15 hours worth of credit.  

(edited)
Why I have been wondering why Kurt stan have been troubled.  Kurt is going to come out of this unscathed the most of characters who are still regulars.

Apparently Kurt will chase  after his ex boyfriend who hooks up with his ex bully who threatened to kill him.  This after forgiving his ex boyfriend for fucking a random Facebook guy and ignoring he had a crush on his bro best friend. 

I'd say Kurt fans have legit concerns about how unscathed his character is going to emerge from this.

I think Santana fans should be scared shitless too.

Edited by caracas1914

Not really.  He still follows Blaine back to Lima and essentially puts his schooling on hold to do so.  Sure he gets some class credit for helping out with New Directions but that certainly can't be 12 or 15 hours worth of credit.  

But he will still be a nice guy who is trying to do the right thing.   No I do not agree he should do back to Lima.

But overall he  hasn't cheated on his boyfriend or become so insecure he flukes out of school or they haven't totally  demolished his dreams or not allowed him to mature and actual learn a lesson. 

I am not saying he will be unscathed but in comparison he has a better chance imo.    Kurt gets crap storyline and not a lot of wins but they never really regress him as a decent person.

Edited by tom87
But he will still be a nice guy who is trying to do the right thing.   No I do not agree he should do back to Lima.

True, but the thing is unlike,say, someone like Blaine or Sam, Kurt (with Rachel/Finn)  was a fairly well developed character when he first popped on the show. 

I don't like when Kurt (and not just him, they all take turns doing this, even Coach Sue) turns into a moral mouthpiece for whatever PSA  the show wants to give.  However, Glee actually managed to make Kurt more self confident and assertive as the show went on despite the 1001 setbacks they gave him.  He wasn't a passive lump but was driven as much as Rachel in some instances for his career goals/dreams.  Once Kurt got a boyfriend, what was refreshing was that that wasn't enough for the character.   Even back in Season 2  he returned to McKinley despite having a new boyfriend at Dalton and finally decided to go to NY and seemed to thrive there , being accepted and all for who he was. Kurt back in Lima, (more than Rachel I would argue) makes absolutely no fucking sense.

So if he returns to Lima just to try to win back his ex boyfriend after ending an engagement for being too young (I fear it's going to be viewed as mistake) it sort of negates the qualities in Kurt that a lot of the fans admired to being with.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

As to why Kurt would go running back to Lima to try to reconcile with Blaine... Nostalgia for what used to be, fear of the unknown, fear of being alone… people who escape relationships that are unhealthy and even abusive often go back to their former partners repeatedly before they finally accept that the relationship just can't be fixed. Kurt had years invested in his relationship with Blaine. He sacrificed his chance for a relationship with Adam for Blaine. He was willing to give up professional opportunities for Blaine and now he’s got (as far as he can see at the moment) nothing to show for it. Now I don’t blame Kurt for not being in another relationship at this point. He’s only broken up with Blaine a few months ago and after everything that happened, it’s rather smart of him to not try diving into dating straight away. He needs time to get his heart and head straightened out, to figure out what exactly what he wants.

Edited by Hana Chan

However, Glee actually managed to make Kurt more self confident and assertive as the show went on despite the 1001 setbacks they gave him.

I don't know, he was pretty assertive in the beginning, even if this may read more as cockiness as a defense mechanism. But there was a lot of it in the way he was fighting for solos, tried to sabotage Rachel and then pursue Finn, how he fought for his father's attention, how he joined Sue and the cheerleaders, and even how he mocked Azimio in French class or took on the dumpster dumping. He was in part a scheming little prick, and that was refreshing. I think they softened this aspect of his character a lot from S2 on, esp. when they paired him with Rachel away from Mercedes. 

He sacrificed his chance for a relationship with Adam for Blaine.

Rest assured that if they had left Kurt with Adam, Adam would've gotten the same treatment as Blaine. Or as Brody. This is their MO. So, if you like a character, wish him to go far away in offscreenville. 

Edited by fakeempress

He was in part a scheming little prick, and that was refreshing. I think they softened this aspect of his character a lot from S2 on, esp. when they paired him with Rachel away from Mercedes. 

This show was so much more fun when they let Kurt be a scheming little prick who had a twisted reason for being wrong. Now he just gets Dave's sloppy seconds.

• Love 3

I always appreciate characters that aren't perfect and not only are allowed to be assholes, but who actually get portrayed as assholes when their behavior warrants it. It's one of the reasons that I loved his character in Struck By Lightening so much. Carson was a scheming, manipulative little prick and while it was certainly understandable why he was so (having absolutely nil in the way of support from both his parents and having his beloved grandmother unable to recognize him most days), it wasn't used as an excuse to turn Carson into a lovable moppet. Kurt has a lot of the same vinegar in him. I loved it when he told Brett that he smelled homeless, mocked Rachel's wardrobe or advising Karofsky to seek employment at the rendering plant.

What I don't like is when characters act like assholes and it's not only excused, but made into something positive. *coughBlaineCheatercough*

• Love 1