Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: A Real Live Wire

Gas goes bad? I learned something today.

And as much as I don't like New Phil, he had a point. Malibu is just a dumb place to live. Better than Tucson, but still not a good place for civilization. Plus he really was doing all the work. And everyone finally saw how much of an ass New Phil. And then we were dropped THAT bombshell as he was about to leave.

I really liked Todd & Phil's plot. Just the last two doofuses on Earth trying not to get electrocuted. It's classic! And of COURSE there was an on/off switch.

• Love 1

One of the things I like about discussing the show on this board is people are adamant someone/ some people in that group are jerks, but there usually isn't a clear consensus on who is a jerk.

I can see how after living through a terrible disease that wipes out most life and then living in a world with complete freedom, people might not want to go back to a structured society. I kind of get the urge just to live a life of leisure. That said, I still want these people to show some more will to survive and thrive. For that reason, I was totally behind New Phil tonight. I think the Carol who wanted to obey stop signs was also sympathetic to his cause. That and she wants to build a better world for children.

• Love 2

Why wouldn't they just move into the house down the street with the already functional solar panels and a working chest freezer in the basement (even though it is no longer chock full of bacon) ?

That scene with Tandy eating the raw waffle batter was just stupid.  Unbelievably stupid.  And why doesn't he just shave his beard already.

• Love 2

Phil is right about the others' apathy, but he's still a totally obnoxious person.

Do we have votes on where is a good place to settle? I'm thinking a climate that's moderate all year round, good for solar power, good water supply, lots of unexpired plunder, and non-paved space for gardening. So... where is that?

There are only a few of people to feed, so they don't really need a lot of acreage. I'm not really sure why Malibu is so terrible a place. It's got the climate, probably lots of supplies, solar would be good, water is fine. The drought in California is only because of the current population/industry/lawn/agriculture pressure. It would be plenty adequate for the handful of people left in the show's scenario.

And why do none of them go to the library to find out how to do stuff? Even Carol has lost interest in gardening, it seems, even though she's tired of canned food. I know not everyone is a DIY lover, but if the payoff is waffles vs raw batter, electricity vs dangerously sparking wires, fresh fruits and vegs vs only canned beans and crickets... at some point, you start to get motivated. Right?

Maybe they want to show that everyone is just totally traumatized and basically waiting to die, but that's not a fun show.

I say: go back to traveling the world and exploring the wreckage, even going crazy by himself Phil tried to have fun with his "ball friends" and he made up games to keep himself amused. It's boring to watch people bicker over who's the worst person and not really do anything about anything.

And why do none of them go to the library to find out how to do stuff? Even Carol has lost interest in gardening, it seems, even though she's tired of canned food. I know not everyone is a DIY lover, but if the payoff is waffles vs raw batter, electricity vs dangerously sparking wires, fresh fruits and vegs vs only canned beans and crickets... at some point, you start to get motivated. Right?

Maybe they want to show that everyone is just totally traumatized and basically waiting to die, but that's not a fun show.

Trauma may play into it, but I think the show tries to play it off as  "If you had a world with no laws and no rules, what would you do?" That aspect works pretty well. Carol is a rules person. Phil II wants to get a plan together for survival. I think they can start to convince the others over time. I think Phil II refusing to fix everything and getting ready to leave looks to me like a signal that the party is over, or at least changing. That, and the possibility of babies means this group is going to need to do more than just enjoy Malibu.

• Love 1

I liked the opening sequence with Phil quietly singing new lyrics to The Heat is On as he discovers the electricity isn't working. 

It's nice seeing him and Todd getting along so well. I really like seeing Phil being such a nice guy. Dumb, but nice.

New Phil is a jerk. Yes, I understand his being fed up with no one helping or trying, but I'm sure his losing Carol to Original Phil feeds into his resentment of doing for everyone. 

Gail and her CPR dummy was creepy, but funny.

I thought it was so sweet when Carol made that pro/con chart for having a baby, and then beamed when she looked at the only pro on it, Having a Baby!

Re why they haven't gone to the library or started a garden or whatever -- The show has to pace itself, and it's a comedy. I certainly don't want to see the characters doing the sensible thing and making all the right and reasonable decisions.

• Love 4

I also think there's something of a sense of relief among the non-Phil folks that hasn't truly washed away yet. Who knows how long they spent on their own trying to locate other people. There's no imminent threat to their survival at the moment, but as we can see that's starting to wain, with the gas being the most trying thing they're facing.

Also I hate to break it to these Einsteins but solar panels wear out too. Admittedly it's more from use, but there's no permanent solution here, not without taking some proactive choices. I get why Phil's exasperated, even if he's a jerk.

Tandy's active listening "right, that's for Jets" always makes me chuckle.

• Love 2

I think the margin of error for humans making an effort in a challenging situation has more natural comedic potential than people NOT making an effort, so I don't worry about the show getting less funny if the characters try to do something sensible and make good choices. I think the premise of the show is inherently full of potential humor of a variety of sorts, without having to make the characters extra lax or lacking sense.

I also wish they'd get back to the ISS. Maybe they simply have not decided how they want to handle it, and that's why they keep giving us reminders that he's out there, but not advancing the story. I hate to say it, but the writers for this show don't seem to be the world's finest at capitalizing on the potential in their stories. They are pretty much squandering the talents of the actors, too. I mean: they have Mary Steenburgen and what are they doing with her?

• Love 3

I would be taking the Gail route to the end of the world. Drink all the time. I think i would skip the dummy though.

I have a garden now, so I would be doing that as well, girls gotta eat. did we figure out if there are bees? Can't fertilize my plants without them.

I don't like Phil but I'm with him on this one. It kind of bugs, how lazy they seem to be. They've been post-virus 3-ish years. By now they could have figured out all kinds of things: farming and energy, at the very least. The punishment also seems lacking. If they wanted to punish Phil, why didn't they make him set up the solar panels (not that he was accepting any punishment)? Carol is industrious. Wasn't she growing tomatoes early last season? Why isn't she doing more of that?

If they're bringing babies into it, they need to get their act together.

• Love 1

The only reason I keep tuning in is for Phil and Carol, uh, or Tandy and Carol. Will Forte kills in any scene where he's by himself. And Carol beaming at the "Pro" section of her chart, well, that was adorable. I really believe that they love each other now. The rest of the group I could be done with, even Mary Steenburgen. And yes, she has an Oscar, give her some more to do!

• Love 1

I love this show more and more with each new episode, it is that good. Phil (Tandy?) and Todd getting back together again is a great move, Gail with the dummy of Gordon is hilarious as is her drinking, Erica`s character is developing a bit more and the big news at the end has really shook the place up. New Phil`s acts of violence are rather unsettling and shocking while Todd`s demands for him to be put in the stocks were hilarious. There is an element of survival of the fittest as there is absolutely no way the rest of the group could force Phil 2 into accepting his punishment. Carol`s list of `cons` about having a baby were hilarious, no cheese and sex with older people being the stand outs.

The New Phil is an ass even if he does make some good points.

He could have just turned off the solar panels much earlier, even if he was trying to prove a point. He complains no one else tries to help, but then when they do, he refuses to assist them.

WIll be curious to see how they handle the babies in the new era.

• Love 1

I liked the opening sequence with Phil quietly singing new lyrics to The Heat is On as he discovers the electricity isn't working. 

I loved that so much.  I wonder if that part was really written by the episode's writer, or if it was just a riff that Will Forte came up with.  It seemed so much a part of his personality.

<3 <3  It's a baby!!!  <3 <3

So, the professor gave up and took a YOLO day, huh? That's hilarious.

Who else was surprised Tandy and Todd didn't burn down the house so they'd have to leave Malibu? Also, surprised it wasn't Carol who was pregnant. Although, it would be weird for Gilligan to be pregnant...better it's Mary Ann. ;)

Awww....it's nice to be surprised.

This show frustrates me bc there's so much they can do with it. Why they don't focus more on the rebuilding civilization aspect and just focus on the same, tired, petty old relationship, who's a bigger @$$ than the next person, over and over, is tiring. I guess as a fan of Suvivor and Scorpion I'm itching to see them really figure out how to McGyver their situation and come up with creative solutions to live more fulfilling lives. It's gotta be so depressing to not really do much all day but mope. and wait for the world to end.