Type keyword(s) to search

Holy Grail Beauty Products

• Start Topic

On ‎06‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:16 AM, Scatterbrained said:

Glo Therapeutics Pumpkin Enzyme Scrub.  I use it when my skin is acting up, feeling too dry or too oily.  It always seems to even things out.  I normally don't like scented products, but find the smell pleasant enough.

I have dark circles under my eyes.  Sometimes people think I have bruised, black eyes.  I have found that using cle de peau concealer and lancome's touche Eclat together helps make things look more natural.

I also have terrible problems with dark circles, but there's no way I can afford $70 for concealer.  Does anyone know of something maybe under $30 which might work well?

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I also have terrible problems with dark circles, but there's no way I can afford $70 for concealer.  Does anyone know of something maybe under $30 which might work well?

Have you tried NYX concealers?  I find their products work well and are extremely reasonably priced.  You can find their products in some Target, CVS Pharmacy, and Ulta locations; they also have stores in some malls.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
Fixed link
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, OakGoblinFly said:

Have you tried NYX concealers?  I find their products work well and are extremely reasonably priced.  You can find their products in some Target, CVS Pharmacy, and Ulta locations; they also have stores in some malls.

I haven't, but I'll look for them.  Thanks for the advice to both you and Minneapple.

Make Up For Ever also has a great concealer:  Ultra HD.  It works well on it's own but if I have the time, I use a little peach color corrector underneath, and my eyes look soo good.

Holy Grail product....Hmmmm.  Many.  But the one off the top of my head is Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Liquid in Opal.  Love this so much.  Sephora sells a trial size for $19 that I got last November.  I use it every day and I'm pretty sure there's still a good amount left in the tube.

I only use it on my cheek and brow bones, center of nose, a little on my forehead on in the divot over my lip.  Some people mix it into their foundation but I don't want to be that dewy looking.  I swear this stuff is magic.  No glitter, just subtle glow.  Even if I wear nothing else, a few little dabs of this, blended with my beauty blender knock-off and I look healthy and rested.

9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I use Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer. It doesn't totally banish the dark circles but it's pretty good coverage without settling into creases.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I use Cle de Peau, because I have serious dark circles (allergy shiners, my doc calls them), so I splurge in that area. But Bobbi Brown has some good undereye concealers that look very natural. 

I've never tried this brand. I'm heading to Nordstrom today and think I'll test it out. But before I do, I wanted to find a pronunciation.  So glad I did or I would have been asking for Kluh duh Pew. 

It's actually Clay dee poe.  LOL.  Didn't want to look like a dum dum like I did when purchasing soap at L'Occitane.... (lox-ee-tahn)

Does a little of this concealer go a long way?  Because it is spendy.   Don't mind spending it if it's really, really good and if the tube will last a while.

• Love 1

I've only been using Cle de Peau for a few months now, but it's a really different texture than other concealers I've used and a little goes a long way. I expect the tube to last a year, at least. Partly, because I don't have to use as much as I did with other concealers and partly because there's a good amount in the tube.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I've only been using Cle de Peau for a few months now, but it's a really different texture than other concealers I've used and a little goes a long way. I expect the tube to last a year, at least. Partly, because I don't have to use as much as I did with other concealers and partly because there's a good amount in the tube.

Thank you.  I'm going to check it out in person.  I looked at the website and am a little concerned it is only available in 6 shades or so.  I've never found anything that is perfect yet.  And I've been looking for a lot of years.  I currently use Make Up For Ever Ultra HD and so far, it's the closest match and right consistency.  But still...not perfect.  And even so, I need to lay down a base of color corrector under it.  I'm willing to try anything. 

On April 29, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Petunia13 said:

Kat Von D Lock-It foundation. 

LOVE!!

Let me jump on this train, too because Lock-It is the shit! I use about a drop of this and it covers my entire face all day. Makes my skin look totally flawless. It does have a bit of a stench to it when it's first applied, but I don't notice it after a minute or two. 

I recently discovered Lancome's Drama Liqui-Pencil -- an eyeliner that actually stays on all day long and doesn't wear off or smear on my face. 

I wanted to love the Lock-It Foundation, since I LOVE KVD products, but unfortunately, I could never find a good match for me.  I have pretty light olive skin that skews VERY yellow, and I could not find a shade of hers that worked well - I was in the middle of two colors.  However, I did get the Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation stick and it is the best.  I didn't get the brush with it, because they told me any good makeup brush will work with it, and it still blends in well.  You have to work a little bit to blend it properly but it is so pigmented that you don't need a whole lot of it, and it feels very light on my face for being a long-wear foundation.  

• Love 1

Speaking of make-up brushes...my Holy Grail brush is this one by Tarte.  Feels soo good and buffs foundation to perfection.

My MAC foundation smells like a mildewy dishrag.  I thought I had a bad bottle but after googling the problem, it seems to be the norm.  I won't buy it again. The smell dissipates after application but I still hate smelling that in the a.m.  It's too bad because it's a perfect match.

Her products are fragrance free. What stench are you talking about mine smells like nothing. I do find a lot of drugstore foundations like rimmel smells like "botanical" or "soapy" fragrance

Well, I'm talking about the stench I smell which you evidently do not. I'd describe it as a clay smell -- it's unpleasant, but like I said, it dissipates quickly. There is a definite odor - at least to my nose.

ETA: I searched on Google and it turns out others can notice the smell also. You're lucky you don't. 

Edited by Guest

I noticed the KVD smell, too. I didn't buy it because even her lightest shade was a smidge too dark for my super pale skin, but the smell was definitely noticeable to me. I use Makeup Forever's Mat Duo powder foundation and I like it much better than Bare Minerals, it doesn't fly around and coat everything in my bathroom like BM did.

Added a new product to my Holy Grail this week. 

I have to preface this by saying that I am NOT a fan of an obvious contour or highlighting.  However, my cheeks and jaw aren't as defined as they used to be.  After loads of reading, I bought NARS Contour Blush in Paloma and boy HOWDY it is miraculous.

It's so finely milled that it goes on like silk and leaves a perfect shadow under my cheekbones and near my hairline.  Not streaky but best of all, not obvious. Just chisels those bones out like magic, I'm tellin' ya.  If you like a more obvious contour, it's buildable.  Tried it last night but I prefer a natural look. Very, very pigmented.  A little goes a long way.

So, I recently bought Glossier's Boy Brow since I'd heard some good things about it and WOW - I am way more impressed by it than I thought I would be.  I actually like it better than the Anastasia Brow Gel, because the brush is smaller so it's easier to get the little hairs in your brow and it's easier to glide over the arch (at least, it is for me).  It's not stiff at all either.  The only minus for me is that I think it's a bit pricey compared to some other brow gels; it's $16 but that's only for .17 oz.

• Love 1

This is crazy I was showing to bring up glossier this week. An exes lil sis always raves about it and she's a model (did a campaign for Van Cleef and Arpels, burbury ad, run way shit) and was born w a huge trust fund--- so if she thinks this is the best w all the advice and resources she has in convinced to try it myself. 

1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

So, I recently bought Glossier's Boy Brow since I'd heard some good things about it and WOW

Hey, I was coming here to rave about Boy Brow as well! Superior to any gel I've tried. It's a pomade-like formula and the texture is very supple; it holds well but isn't stiff at all, and it's easy to apply. I've never used a brow product with color before, but the small brush keeps the color on the hair only if that's what you want, which I appreciate (I barely wear makeup compared to most of you, and my aesthetic is very natural). The Blonde shade works perfectly for me (dark blond/light brown brows).

I don't know that it's a holy grail, but I'm liking Glossier's Stretch concealer, too. It's got a light, creamy and comfortable texture that blends easily into bare skin (important to me, as I don't wear foundation) and doesn't get cakey or crease and settle into fine lines under the eyes. It's not highly pigmented, but coverage is buildable. 

• Love 1

Just added a new Holy Grail product: the Sephora Collection Perfection Mist Airbrush Foundation.  It's basically their foundation but in a spray can, and while it sounds like that would be a bad idea, it's fantastic.  It's actually really light, but still covers up my dark spots and it stays on all day without needing a setting powder.  I'm debating stocking up on more cans today while I still have my Rouge 20% discount.

• Love 1

The spray range isn't huge and the nozzle is pretty focused. You can also spray it in your brush or beauty blender and apply it, but honestly, I haven't had an issue with it yet. 

I have started putting on my foundation first though, when I used to put it on after my eye makeup. 

I think my holy grail foundations right now are Estée Lauder Double Wear and Kat Von D for different reasons. I was really blown away by double wear.   It even makes my skin softer after I remove it. I like they have shades for all undertones and POC that's big for me. But yea double wear is the shit it gives a great effect and though it's full coverage it feels light on the skin. 

Holy Grail mascara right now is Better Than Sex. The formula and wand is perfect for my lashes which are heavy and can cross each other. 

Holy Grail eyeshadow is Huda Beauty palette. 

Holy Grail pencil eyeliner is Marc Jacobs or Lancôme. 

Liquid eyeliner kat Von d tattoo or Stila. 

Holy Grail highlighters are Laura Mercier.

I don't have HG products so much as stuff that works for me enough that I keep using it until I can find something better. But here are the things I currently reach for most often.

Concealer: Maybelline Dream Lumi Highlighter in Buff

When I first tried it I thought it was too light, both in color and in coverage. But now I really only wear makeup to go to an event so a few hours of wear is OK. It is still too light but so are most of the high end concealers I use. I like that it doesn't oxidize and is similar to my skintone, if not a perfect match. It's also light enough that it doesn't crease too badly or look cakey. When drugstore.com was still a thing, I bought a ton of them on sale ($5-$6) so I still have a couple of them. It's nice to throw in my purse and unless I find a better high end concealer, I'll probably keep purchasing them at Target or something. I've been trying the Too Faced Born This Way Concealer lately which is similar but it's higher coverage and more noticeably too light on me. I thought about going to Sephora to switch it but I swatched the darker shades on my hand and they oxidized. My old HG was the Shiseido concealer in the tube that they stopped making.

Blush: Clinique Cheek Pop in Heather Pop

I started with the first shades they released. I have a bright pink one and Ginger Pop. I used them rarely now but I do still use them. I like Heather Pop because it seems like a more natural/muted version of Tarte's Dollface which used to be my every day blush. I still use some other stuff in my collection like cream blushes if I feel like my skin is really dry but most days I just grab Heather Pop because it goes with everything. 

Eyeliner: Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner

I've tried basically all the colors. I'm cool with Midnight or the gray or olive or whatever if I need to be. But weirdly, my favorite has been the brown liner lately. I was all about Maybelline's gel liner in college but the extra step of washing brushes has become less appealing. My only issue with the Stila is that the tip of the pen tends to dry out. Also, I just bought a new black one and it's way too wet. If the brush is soft whether it's cream or a liquid liner I'm pretty good at drawing a cat eye. It's just a matter of consistency in the product. But except with a few exceptions, this doesn't smudge on me and it feels pretty comfortable so I keep repurchasing it.

I have no HG lippies. I am all over the place. Assuming they didn't expire, I feel like all the lipsticks I own would last me years even if I wore lipstick every day (which I don't).

Two more HG products to add, both from a skincare perspective.  I had been hearing great things about Belif's AquaBomb moisturizer and Drunk Elephant's Frambroos Glycolic Serum, so I picked up both at Sephora.  Well, to be completely accurate, I picked up the DE stocking stuffer package, because I didn't want to lay out the full price for it right off the bat.  I've been using them for about a month and I can honestly say, my skin has never looked better.  The AquaBomb leaves my skin so soft, but is never greasy and it's so light.  And the DE serum has really helped get rid of a lot of dark spots I had on my face and cleared up some lingering acne I had.  I know most people love the Sunday Reilly Good Genes serum, but I was not a huge fan of that when I got the sample - the fragrance in it ended up irritating my skin.

Thanks for the feedback on those, PrincessSparkle. I got a sample of the aqua mob but haven't tried it, and I've been eyeing the DE serum. I'm really liking Sunday Riley Good Genes and the Tidal Water moisturizer, but not enough to switch from my regular combo of Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta daily peel and Ole Henricksen serums and moisturizers. 

I do wish I could find a super hydrating eye cream - any recommendations? I can see the beginnings of crepiness, especially around my lash line. 

4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I do wish I could find a super hydrating eye cream - any recommendations? I can see the beginnings of crepiness, especially around my lash line. 

My skin tends to moderate dryness, but more so around the eyes and I find a lot of eye creams too light (perhaps since so many are oil free). Clinique All About Eyes Rich is an exception for me.

• Love 1

Princess Sparkle, did the Drunk Elephant's Frambroos Glycolic Serum help with your acne? I use Sunday Riley's Good Genes and I really like it, but I've got a few bumps that just won't go away with it (not huge ones, just little ones right beneath the skin that make the appearance less smooth).

On 12/8/2016 at 3:51 PM, emma675 said:

Princess Sparkle, did the Drunk Elephant's Frambroos Glycolic Serum help with your acne? I use Sunday Riley's Good Genes and I really like it, but I've got a few bumps that just won't go away with it (not huge ones, just little ones right beneath the skin that make the appearance less smooth).

You know, I'll be totally honest with you - about 5 weeks ago I went paleo, and it really helped my skin clear up, so I can't confidently say that the Drunk Elephant Serum is preventing acne, since it could be removing dairy and refined sugar that cleared up my skin. I do think the Drunk Elephant serum faded a lot dark spots though, since diet doesn't fix that, and I do think it made some lingering acne clear up faster. 

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

They aren't drying at all. I have three different shades and I love them.  Hearing that they're putting out 27 shades just made my day.  I got an email saying my Play box shipped early (due to the holidays), so I'm excited to see what shade I get. 

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

The Sephora store-branded products that I've tried have all been really good, actually. Plus they're reasonably priced. The Sephora lipgloss they sent in last month's Play box is great -- I know people were put off by the bright pink color, but it's actually very sheer and best of all, not sticky. It's perfect for daily wear.

9 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

They aren't drying at all. I have three different shades and I love them.  Hearing that they're putting out 27 shades just made my day.  I got an email saying my Play box shipped early (due to the holidays), so I'm excited to see what shade I get. 

Would you say they're your favorite liquid lipstick? I'm asking since you mentioned you have a bit of a collection. 

They're my second favorite; Kat Von D's Everlasting lipstick is my favorite. I have 7 shades and love each one - they're so pigmented and they last. I love the Sephora ones too, but my gripe for the longest time was the lack of color ranges in it. 

Im also a little embarrassed to say this, but tied with the Sephora liquid lipsticks are actually Kylie Jenner's lip kits. I know people say they're the same as Colourpop, but I have a few Colourpop shades and they don't last nearly as long as hers do, even with lip liner underneath. 

• Love 1

I am inclined to agree at this point that just because the manufacturer is the same and most ingredients are the same does not necessarily mean they are the same...people have said this about other brands and not just w makeup but food and there's subtle differences. On the other hand I think morphe and coastal scents are made in same factory and those shadows are the same, IMHO. 

I really like stila's liquid lipsticks. They are not perfectly matte tho and will wear off a bit of you have a balm as a base or use a gloss as your highlight. I also love kat Von d. Great formula and color range. I think her flair for art and intense study of colors and textures impacted her line. She takes this stuff so seriously and is so gifted it's ridic. I can't wait until the better together sets come out. I'm buying both the eye one and the lip and cheek one. I'm pretty much over too faced, however,  I know her halfs are gonna be slam dunks and the packaging on both are insane. 

I just tried a moisterizer made mostly of snail mucous (apparently big in Korean skincare) and it is amazing!  My skin feels completely moisturized and smooth, but not greasy.  I haven't been able to stop touching my face all day.  

2 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I just tried a moisterizer made mostly of snail mucous (apparently big in Korean skincare) and it is amazing!  My skin feels completely moisturized and smooth, but not greasy.  I haven't been able to stop touching my face all day.  

Is that the Korean face cream? I've heard it's amazing.

7 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Is that the Korean face cream? I've heard it's amazing.

Yes.  I just looked it up and it was Cosrx Advanced Snail 92 All in One Cream.  My sister went on a Korean skincare binge and this was one of the 10 million things she bought to try.  I still can't believe how awesome it was.  I'm going to buy some.  Looks like they sell it on Amazon.

11 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

Yes.  I just looked it up and it was Cosrx Advanced Snail 92 All in One Cream.  My sister went on a Korean skincare binge and this was one of the 10 million things she bought to try.  I still can't believe how awesome it was.  I'm going to buy some.  Looks like they sell it on Amazon.

Are you aware of the Reddit sub Asian Beauty? It's a forum dedicated to Asian skincare and makeup and CosRX has a popular following there.

There are many snail products from South Korea. I've been trialing some myself and using the CosRX 96 Snail Mucin Essence. You may like that as well. I am still not sure if snail does anything for me except maybe a bit of hydration.

• Love 2

On a whim, and because I'm a mascara junkie, I bought a mascara I saw on an end cap at Sephora called Too Cool for School Dinoplatz Elevator mascara (that's a mouthful). I picked it up because the packaging was adorable (shallow!) and went home to try out. HOLY CRAP. My lashes looked stunning -- almost as if I'd put on a set of falsies. Only after I applied it, did I check out the Sephora website to see what others had said about it -- and I'm glad I did. Turns out it's a tubular mascara that must be taken off with warm water only (thank you Sephora commenters!). I swear by Lancôme's Bi-Facil so it was good to know before I spent hours trying to remove the product and, along with it, all of my lashes. 

Even waterproof mascaras give me raccoon eyes and, after 10 hours of wear, this stuff looked like I had just applied it and absolutely no run off under my eyes. 

10 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I need a good daily moisturizer again. I go through this every winter. Either something breaks me out or it doesn't do anything.

I got a sample of Sunday Riley Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream and really liked it. Moisturizing and absorbed well. Once I'm done with the Ole Henriksen moisturizer I have now I'm switching.

My skin tends to moderate dryness, but more so around the eyes and I find a lot of eye creams too light (perhaps since so many are oil free). Clinique All About Eyes Rich is an exception for me.

Have you tried First Aid Beauty? I don't have any of the eye products, but I just recently bought the Ultra Repair Cream because I've been having some gnarly psoriasis-adjacent skin issues and it is fabulous! Like "see and (more important) feel the difference almost immediately" fabulous, so I'm inclined to have faith in the rest of their stuff.

My picks are few and far between (and now include the cream I mentioned above), as I don't wear a lot of makeup to start with and I have have super-sensitive skin (and I'm vegan, so suffice it to say that I am not very fun to shop for makeup with). But oddly enough, the Wet & Wild waterproof mascara in the green tube fits my criteria (though the W&W brand as a whole is not yet 100% cruelty-free; as far as I know, it's headed in that direction), looks fabulous, and seriously stays put (which is a blessing and a curse; I have to use a bit of regular shampoo to get it off completely on the first try). Also, for you long-lashed ladies who wear glasses, it helps keep the curl in place so there's no annoying "lash touching lenses" going on, which means the world to me!

Like I said, I don't wear a lot of makeup: powder (Physician's Formula--easy to find, though there are too many styles to choose from and it took me a while to settle on one. Good thing it's super-cheap) and/or BB (Pacifica), mascara, and sometimes lipcolor...but always lip balm!). I do wish for a good dark (blue-based) red though, one that stays on but doesn't feel like dried paint--seriously, I just can't deal with that and putting a balm or gloss over it makes it look messy to me. Maybe dark colors are just not for me even if they are my aesthetic style-wise? Anyway, I've been browsing Bite products: do you guys know which one of the lip collections is the best for what I want? Thanks in advance!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

Bite has a vivid blue red called gazpacho.

I thought it would be v blue red on my but I'm med skin shade and distinctly cool so my lips already have a blue rosy cast. It might look more blue red & popping on lighter and warmer skin like yours