Type keyword(s) to search

Holy Grail Beauty Products

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

But oddly enough, the Wet & Wild waterproof mascara in the green tube fits my criteria (though the W&W brand as a whole is not yet 100% cruelty-free; as far as I know, it's headed in that direction), looks fabulous, and seriously stays put (which is a blessing and a curse; I have to use a bit of regular shampoo to get it off completely on the first try). Also, for you long-lashed ladies who wear glasses, it helps keep the curl in place so there's no annoying "lash touching lenses" going on, which means the world to me!

I wear glasses and that is definitely a problem for me so maybe I'll try this. I'm not a fan of waterproof mascara though simply because I'm lazy and I want to be able to take my makeup off super quick and easily!

Edited by peachmangosteen

Me too--I want it to come off during a routine face wash in or out of the shower. But my eyelashes seem to uncurl the minute I apply mascara, which pissed me right off! Then I read that the waterproof ones can really keep the curl in--and it worked! 

Just use a little regular shampoo when you wash you face--like a tiny drop; that works for me.

Haha, complaining about long eyelashes! I am such a diva!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

If you're wearing a full face of makeup or long wearing products (eyeliner, mascara) there's no getting around using a makeup remover. It's a good investment. In the long run you're being gentler on your skin and you're not going to be tugging or scrubbing as much. I like MAC Cleanse Off for really breaking makeup down gently. Then I like to use a weaker makeup remover or cleanser just to take off any remaining residue. 

• Love 2

I get mine off in the shower with my face cleansers (all of which are for super-ridiculously annoying sensitive skin); other than the mascara, it's no big deal--no real scrubbing action and the drop of shampoo helps. Then again, I use only a couple of things, due to impatience and ineptitude, haha! I do actually keep a little tub of eye-makeup remover pads (the "Yes To" brand cucumber ones) for when I wash my face at the sink, as that always seems to be less thorough than the shower (plus, that's where I do it after I come home from drinking, making it even less thorough probably!).

Edited by TattleTeeny

Try curling your lashes first or just plain ole professional eyelash extensions. I've had extensions multiple x and it's completely worth it and a total game changer in terms of how your eyes look and time saving in the morning and night. They gradually fall out / off your real lashes and depending on the talent of your tech & how you handle your face can last 2 monthes or so. 

My lashes are also long but each strand is fat on each hair at the base and they overlap so many mascaras don't lift or separate. I find better than sex does for me. I believe it is cruelty free btw. 

• Love 1
On 12/29/2016 at 5:58 AM, Giant Misfit said:

On a whim, and because I'm a mascara junkie, I bought a mascara I saw on an end cap at Sephora called Too Cool for School Dinoplatz Elevator mascara (that's a mouthful). I picked it up because the packaging was adorable (shallow!) and went home to try out. HOLY CRAP. My lashes looked stunning -- almost as if I'd put on a set of falsies. Only after I applied it, did I check out the Sephora website to see what others had said about it -- and I'm glad I did. Turns out it's a tubular mascara that must be taken off with warm water only (thank you Sephora commenters!). I swear by Lancôme's Bi-Facil so it was good to know before I spent hours trying to remove the product and, along with it, all of my lashes. 

Even waterproof mascaras give me raccoon eyes and, after 10 hours of wear, this stuff looked like I had just applied it and absolutely no run off under my eyes. 

I tried this recently, after seeing the rave reviews at Sephora (and how it's perpetually sold out) - I'm glad it worked out for you, but I had such a bad time with it that I had to return it. It felt so thick the first day, so I only did one coat the second day, but even then it made my eyes sting so badly that they were red until I was able to get home and remove the mascara (which I found difficult to remove for a tubing mascara). 

I've been wearing the L'Oreal tubing mascara recently, which I like (at least it doesn't flake everywhere), but I still don't love it. I think when I get my tax return, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get eyelash extensions. 

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Oh, no! I'm sorry it didn't work out for you Princess Sparkle! Thankfully Sephora has a good return policy so you're only out the aggravation of having stinging eyes for the day. :(  I still love it -- but learned that the easiest and quickest way to remove it is by holding a washcloth saturated with nearly hot water on my eyelid for about a minute. The stuff slides off right on the cloth. I haven't tried any other tubing mascaras from the drugstore yet -- gotta get my $25 worth out of this one first. 

18 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Try curling your lashes first or just plain ole professional eyelash extensions. I've had extensions multiple x and it's completely worth it and a total game changer in terms of how your eyes look and time saving in the morning and night. They gradually fall out / off your real lashes and depending on the talent of your tech & how you handle your face can last 2 monthes or so. 

My lashes are also long but each strand is fat on each hair at the base and they overlap so many mascaras don't lift or separate. I find better than sex does for me. I believe it is cruelty free btw. 

I do curl mine first, but the minute non-waterproof mascara goes on, they straighten out (it was not always this way, I swear!). As for extensions, I would so love that...but no one is getting anywhere near my eye, man--forget it!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I always wanted to too! But my makeup-artist friend said, "If you are this impatient with ordinary mascara, I don't advise it."

If you are looking for an effective cruelty-free eye makeup remover (including waterproof mascara and eyeliner) I have been very pleased with Alba Even Advanced remover. Just be sure to shake well. It works as well as Neutrogena and Clinique. I find it easily at Whole Foods and the local supermarket but it is on Amazon, too. It is also non-irritating, and I have sensitive eyes.

• Love 1
On 1/7/2017 at 11:08 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Me too--I want it to come off during a routine face wash in or out of the shower. But my eyelashes seem to uncurl the minute I apply mascara, which pissed me right off! Then I read that the waterproof ones can really keep the curl in--and it worked! 

Just use a little regular shampoo when you wash you face--like a tiny drop; that works for me.

Haha, complaining about long eyelashes! I am such a diva!

I used to keep a small bottle of Johnson and Johnson's Baby Shampoo in my shower to remove waterproof mascara. 

Yeah, it works well--I guess because shampoo is meant to get goo and grit out of the hair (though, haha--I assume that a baby should definitely not have such things!). I'm not against makeup remover or anything, I'm just a fan of keeping things simple...though, oh boy, I do get into beauty-supply binges sometimes (out of boredom? some random idea that I could be the prettiest princess if I just tried harder? the new year? I don't know) that blow my simplicity philosophy all to bits!

For example, just bought Bite lipstick in Gazpacho with the hope of, you know, actually using the dark lipcolor I seem to believe I need. Never mind the drawer full of others I've bought and abandoned due to either the maintenance factor or the dried-paint feeling.

A little bit of lip balm under a liquid lipstick helps alleviate the dried paint feeling. Just apply the balm and let your lips absorb for a bit, then apply the lipstick.

Smashbox's new liquid lippies are not that drying.

12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

For example, just bought Bite lipstick in Gazpacho with the hope of, you know, actually using the dark lipcolor I seem to believe I need. Never mind the drawer full of others I've bought and abandoned due to either the maintenance factor or the dried-paint feeling.

That's why I have about 20 odd some reds of all the same color. And 15 or so black eyeshadows.

• Love 1

My drawer is full of reds (that I mostly like even though the old Urban Decay Revolution ones are the ones I mainly reach for), bright pinks/fuchsias, and a useless collection of various nudes and pinks that someone swore would be a MLBB color that was my lips but worse (frosty or too light baby pinks, zombie nudes, too bright pinks, horrible formulas, etc.)

My holy grail beauty product would have to be the Smith's strawberry lip balm. I bought it at Sephora last year and I'm almost done with it. I put it on every night before bed and I wake up with my lips being really soft. Another plus is that the scent is nice and not strong at all.

For those of you Bite lipstick lovers, how do you find their formulas compare to Nars, Revlon, or Mac? I've been on a no-buy for lipstick in the last year (go me) since I already have 20 red lipsticks and need to stash down on it. I love matte formulas and I like the Nars one the most, but Revlon is good. I found that Mac was too drying for me but I haven't tried a matte Mac in years. I want to eventually go to the Bite beauty lab in Toronto so I'd like to know in advance what my fellow lip product addicts like. Thanks!

I love Bite, but I miss many of their original products!  They once had a lipstick called Cin Cin, which is my Chinese name!!  They've also discontinued many of their lighter-weight shades, including BB for Lips (I only see two shades on Sephora right now, and I think they're just selling what's left). 

• Love 1

I love the Bite Beauty lipsticks! I have two of the holiday duos from Sephora and I find myself using them all the time. They're really creamy so perhaps, not very long-lasting, but they're very moisturizing, pigmented, and flattering. 

Edited by Steph619
  • Love 3

For example, just bought Bite lipstick in Gazpacho with the hope of, you know, actually using the dark lipcolor I seem to believe I need. Never mind the drawer full of others I've bought and abandoned due to either the maintenance factor or the dried-paint feeling.

OK, yes, I am quoting myself like a weirdo but I got the lipstick. Feh.

Well, wait, "feh" is not completely fair--the formula is very nice and does not feel like dried paint (at least not nearly as much as others do)! And there's no weird smell or anything. But this is a pinkish-magenta, albeit a deep one, and not the dark, rick blue-based color the image on the site showed. At least not on me.

A little bit of lip balm under a liquid lipstick helps alleviate the dried paint feeling. Just apply the balm and let your lips absorb for a bit, then apply the lipstick.

That's my go-to MO but it rarely keeps the feeling at bay. Maybe lipstick is just not for me.

Edited by TattleTeeny

I finally tried the Kevin Aucoin Etherealist Foundation and it is great. It is very light feeling and effortless, but full photoshopped looking coverage. Very natural but perfected skin. Its thin and runny unlike most foundations but dries down and sets easy. 

Problem though my Estée Lauder Double Wear is half full and my Kat Von D Lock It is 75% full. Also the Kev foundation is $58 the other variety Sensual Skin  is $65. When the spring  VIB sale comes I should be out of my foundations or low so imma get it. Ain't it funny the sale offers a discount but that justifies spending more like "I saved 20% on this item so might as well add on a perfume and palette too." It's financially intelligent since you spend less on each individual item - but i will essentially be budgeting a splurge for a sale. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

When the spring  VIB sale comes I should be out of my foundations or low so imma get it. Ain't it funny the sale offers a discount but that justifies spending more like "I saved 20% on this item so might as well add on a perfume and palette too." It's financially intelligent since you spend less on each individual item - but i will essentially be budgeting a splurge for a sale. 

When does this magical 20% sale usually happen? I have several things in mind.....

MargeGunderson, also check out other department stores that may have discounts!

As a regular VIB, I think I got the 15% off at Sephora around mid-April-ish last year. The Rouges get first dibs. I believe I bought a Tom Ford bronzer.

That is true to check out other discounts and sales. Frendz just had a  2 Day $20 off Viseart eye palette sale I missed. And one of my gf only buys from Neiman Marcus when they run promotions. And she said when she does it in store it's more beneficial. Like they double down the promotions or a discount AND the gifts with the purchase. I have been very loyal to Sephora, they were my bae, but noticed they have changed in the past few months in their level of service. A store employee cancelled my makeover in January in curt manner the day of it. And in my opinion, if you offer one to a VIB or the service to rouge you should stand behind it. It just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm a POC and wear cheap target clothes and I felt profiled. Up to that pt I purchased maybe once a week. I work retail as a sales & pricing manager and worked in a salon in the past-  I can't imagine offering a bonus service and then rejecting doing it especially to someone who spends money impulsively. 

I wish I could wear liquid foundation but my pores are large and my face gets oily over the course of the day, so it runs and looks awful.

I have used Benefit powder and Makeup Forever Duo Mat powder, but I'm not 100% in love with either one. I feel like they don't have good staying power and the Benefit one tended to look like a mask on me, even blotting several times a day.

Emma, you can try something like Estee Lauder's Doublewear foundation. Lasts all day and barely moves - the working girl's foundation. Maybe you can get a sample. Or Dior's Airflash spray foundation. Or a cushion foundation.

For those in Canada, the Bay has a 'giving' day March 24 that gives a 10% discount on cosmetics and fragrances. I think you need to buy a $5 ticket to shop in-store, but don't think it will apply online.

My Sephora order arrived today - complete with a bashed, bent, and torn shipping box. The contents look okay and not damaged, but will look over in daylight tomorrow.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2017 at 3:05 PM, emma675 said:

I wish I could wear liquid foundation but my pores are large and my face gets oily over the course of the day, so it runs and looks awful.

I have used Benefit powder and Makeup Forever Duo Mat powder, but I'm not 100% in love with either one. I feel like they don't have good staying power and the Benefit one tended to look like a mask on me, even blotting several times a day.

I have extremely normal skin. My only challenge is finding ones that match medium color very cool toned skin; not all foundations work for POC.  Estée Lauder Double Wear and Kat Von D Lock It are 2 of my holy grails and like I said I have zero oiliness and dryness - that said I know many who are oily and they have lasting power on them for maybe 6hrs. In my opinion what I'm learning and trying to understand is a lot is the groundwork. Which means a person's skincare regime and primers and their diet and even stress level. (When I am stressed I get sometimes more oily on the sides of my nostrils and on the base of my scalp). Also environment like if you live in a warm muggy climate. I've heard FL is especially bad for a full face when out and about. 

Also the tool the foundation is applied with, a full brush subtly pushing it in is better than a beauty blender or sponge. I have heard eating certain foods help. I know people who have become less oily or had less acne after lessening gluten on the daily and/or becoming vegan. I don't really know why except our skin is our biggest organ and purges impurities, also certain foods have hormones. 

My skin is combination. I've lucked out this winter and did not get my usual massive case of eczema. A couple patches here and there, but that was it. Of course, I wore cotton leggings instead of tights, so...

Winter here brings with it cold and dry air, usually. Lots of fog and humidity this past winter.

I have used EL Double Wear for many years. Now I use Armani Luminous Silk. I normally also use my fingers to apply it and finish up with loose powder.

Maybe a change of cleanser is in order for the oily skin? My makeup remover for the past year has been Shu Uemura antioxidant.

I've never had acne, so I have no suggestions other than seeing a dermatologist for a proper skincare regime. A lot of drugstore products probably aren't that great.

My holy grails:

I love aveeno skin brightening moisturizer, and I'm in my 40's.

I am a huge fan of garnier micellar cleansing water.

my go to mascaras are L'Oréal manga lash and better than sex mascara. (I'm pretty loyal to TF; however, I have seen some inconsistencies in their formulas)

I love benefit's highlighting stick, candlelight glow by TF, and I'm dying to get my hands on their new highlighters.

I have always worn liquid foundation, but now i use bb cream, any brand really, and set it with powder. 

My go to eye pallets are chocolate bar, ulta nude pallet I got for Christmas, and occasionally the peach ? one.

never found a great eye, brow, or lippie. Always have a complaint.

?

So I started trying out the Eucerin Q10 today. I'm just kind of annoyed at the current state of my skin. It's still dry and flaky but now with breakouts. I almost never get breakouts and if I do, they're tiny ones, not the red blotches I have now. But if I don't try using an exfoliator or moisturizer it'll still look like this. Hopefully with the warmer weather, everything will just calm down on its own. I'm so tired of this. I'm not a big believer in exfoliating right now. Whether for my face or my lips it just seems to tear the skin up without actually getting rid of the flakes so things are smooth.

Stephanie Nicole posted a video on YouTube last night interviewing the owner of Viseart (and owner of muse beauty pro).  The owner candidly talked about the extremely curated ingredients and shades and hand made preparation. I've been using them and the pigmentation and blendabilty is phenomenal.  Also they previewed 2 new theory palettes and 2 new cheek palettes and did demos.

The new theory 6 pan eye palettes are  called Amethyst (pinks purples, obviously lol. The transition shimmer is gorgeous) and Nuance (which is Rose Gold themed with subtle plumy brown as a matte define shade and dark rose shimmer definer). 

Yep, swap out skincare for the brow pencils and that's me. The stupid thing is that I have good skin (knock on wood). But I have a weakness for good skincare products anyway. I love masks, creams, toners, anything that makes my skin feel good (and maybe keeps the lines away for another couple years, lol).

• Love 1

New Holy Grail product since last summer: Caudalie Huile Divine. It's great for body, hair and even face - doesn't feel oily at all after a minute and smells really good (white flower type of smell). I much prefer it to Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse, which is used the same way but I'm not crazy about the smell.

9 hours ago, NutMeg said:

New Holy Grail product since last summer: Caudalie Huile Divine. It's great for body, hair and even face - doesn't feel oily at all after a minute and smells really good (white flower type of smell). I much prefer it to Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse, which is used the same way but I'm not crazy about the smell.

Nice.  I have a very large sample of that....somewhere (I just moved).  I'll have to find it and try it out.  

Well first of all Magic Pads have really helped me. They are very gentle glycolic acid pads. I am also a huge fan of Dermalogica Ultra Calming Serum (helps whenever my skin gets angry) and Image Skincare Retinol (one of the more gentle retinols I have found).

My list of holy grails:

Benefit's They're Real mascara, I discovered this last year when I got a sample from Ulta and I have generally used drugstore mascaras in the past but I loved this so much that I went back and got a full-sized one. I have really sensitive eyes so a lot of mascaras irritate and my eyes run a lot too due to allergies so I have usually used waterproof formulas but find that dry out super fast but this one doesn't irritate at all and I love that I don't need the waterproof version.

Benefit's porefessional primer, not too heavy for a silicone based primer and does the job of making my foundation last all day.

Benefit's Hello Flawless! Oxygen Wow liquid foundation in I'm Pure For Sure (Ivory), I have very pale, cool skin that has significant redness across the nose and chin and is prone to acne, this foundation is great because it is oil-free, and allows me to build it where necessary and have light-medium coverage where I don't. I've been using this for nearly a year and I'm still happy with it.

Benefit's Hello Flawless Powder in I love Me (Ivory), it is a perfect match for the liquid foundation and isn't too heavy.

Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer in fair, for $10 per tube, this is an excellent product, it isn't going to erase my dark circles, which are allergic shiners, but it does the best job of anything I've tried thus far of covering them (including Touche Eclat).

Sonia Kashuk Dramatically Intensifying and Dramatically Brightening Gel Kajals, excellent for the waterline and extremely long wearing.

• Love 1

L'Oreal Revitalift Serum. Goes on so light but it feels like you can feel it re-hydrating everything.

Too-faced Better Than Sex mascara. The first time I tried this, a sample size, I didn't like it, but a friend talked me into a full size and it's my goto for everyday. My mascara I use for special occasions is L'Oreal Double Extend. It puts these little fine white tubes on the lashes and then the black mascara. My lashes look amazingly long I've been asked if they're false (which if you knew my clumsy level is hysterical).

Nars orgasm blush. I now want everything in the Orgasm line. 

Julep has this new mascara that is AMAZING. Actually all their mascara is really freaking good but I just got this stuff and I'm in love. Not sure if the gimmick of twisting the applicator to lengthen or make fuller works but the formula is spot on. Lasts all day, no flaking just really great. 

• Love 1

OCC lip tars (not the original tubes but the new cylindrical tubes with the doefoot applicators) are on sale at Ricky's online. I thought about it but I couldn't make it to the free shipping minimum and I really don't need any more lip products. I actually found one I like. It's an Urban Decay lipgloss. Watch it be discontinued. It's the closest I've ever gotten to MLBB that's not just a lip balm.