Type keyword(s) to search

Holy Grail Beauty Products

• Start Topic

On 1/8/2017 at 9:37 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I do curl mine first, but the minute non-waterproof mascara goes on, they straighten out (it was not always this way, I swear!). As for extensions, I would so love that...but no one is getting anywhere near my eye, man--forget it!

Hi. Long time lurker here. My advice? Curl, one coat of waterproof, then your regular mascara. It works. 

• Love 1

It is so funny you posted this today! This morning, I sort of did that, but for different reasons. I bought a supposedly super awesome-mascara from Thrive Causemetics (vegan, cruelty-free, and makes donations toward women's causes). As far as promises and quality, it does not deliver. So I curled, did a coat of the way cheaper waterproof one I like, and then topped it off with the Thrive one. And it worked. Not that I should have to do all that for a $25 mascara, but lesson learned!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It is so funny you posted this today! This morning, I sort of did that, but for different reasons. I bought a supposedly super awesome-mascara from Thrive Causemetics (vegan, cruelty-free, and makes donations toward women's causes). As far as promises and quality, it does not deliver. So I curled, did a coat of the way cheaper waterproof one I like, and then topped it off with the Thrive one. And it worked. Not that I should have to do all that for a $25 mascara, but lesson learned!

I also find that if applied this way, no raccoon eyes. 

Speaking of "holy grail" beauty products, I saw this video on Refinery29 yesterday:

Which ones are your favourites/least favourites?  I'm not big on the Tarte palate.  In fact, I don't think I've used Tarte for years.  Or even EVER!  It seems...young to me.  I guess I'm too "Xennial" (apparently a "newer" term - for people who aren't quite Gen X and not quite Millennial, either) as I'm going on 38!

I'm a Tarte fan (and older than you!). The Amazonian clay foundation is great, as are the butter lipsticks and blush. I have a few Tarte eye shadow palettes too; I prefer the matte shades (the older I get, the more difficult it is to pull off sparkles).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

That was a strange video 

In a way, yeah.  And a little fake, too.  I'm wondering if some (if not all) the products were returned!  And anyway, the British girl would need an adapter if she wants to use the flat iron back home - assuming she doesn't live in North America.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, PRgal said:

In a way, yeah.  And a little fake, too.  I'm wondering if some (if not all) the products were returned!  And anyway, the British girl would need an adapter if she wants to use the flat iron back home - assuming she doesn't live in North America.

It wasn't really done in the style of most beauty channels and didn't really give the info most do. Not to sound like a jerk, but I felt like I could have done a better job on a Sephora haul/go shopping with me video.

to answer the question about Tarte brand. One of their top signature products is their Shape Tape concealer (which is not sold at Sephora). One of their foundations  Rainforest of the Sea foundation is popular and works on acne prone / oily skin as well as normal. They don't make their foundations in my shade so I never tried any of them. The palettes packaging are very classic with the enamel and metal I like the classy presentation. It's pretty on a vanity or to save or collect. Some of their products have wood or bamboo bits and that's cute too. I have a brush by them it's great. I have bought their eyeshadow palettes for my mother this winter and lights camera lashes (She likes this brand shadows and lipsticks). I find some of the shimmer eye ones don't have a distinct highlight or definer shade or a more matte one for the crease. I think one of their best products is the lash paint mascara. It's super dark black. The wand itself is rubber with the nubbys, similar to Benefit's They're Real!. That's one of the most popular types of wands since those grab all the lil individual hairs around your eye. My lashes cross cross over each other and each hair is fat at the base so those type wands don't lift my lashes well. What I do sometimes is "mascara cocktailing" I'll use a bristle wand fiber mascara. Then top it with lash paint that way I have the lift and drama but also a ultra black finish. Their contours are really good I've hit pan one two kinds.

Tarte also has a highlighting primer I forget the name (brighter days?)  but it went on awful and dries streaky. I have their brazillance self tan but haven't used it. 

Tarte had one of my favorites blush tints. It was a limited edition in conjunction with the True Blood tv show. It's so p pretty and goes on in a perfect red sheer.

They also have some of the nicest feeling lipsticks (also red!).

I started following this beauty blogger (Beauty and the Boutique) and I'm in love with two of her recommendations: a mascara called Code VLM and a moisturizer called Heliocare 360. I use the matte gel version and my skin has never been so shine free, it's amazing. Plus, it's spf 50 and as someone who's had skin cancer I'm a nut about sunscreen.

• Love 1

Speaking of HG beauty products, do any of you have the bad habit of hanging on to makeup that you should have thrown out because it works so well for you/is the perfect color/etc.? I would never do it with mascara but since I don't use my makeup a lot (and so I don't hit pan that often) I will admit I've got blushes and eyeshadow palettes and especially lipsticks that I should have tossed but won't. The really gross or suspicious looking lipsticks get tossed but otherwise I just keep using them. I wonder if de-potting (or whatever the equivalent would be for each product) would help them last longer since you're introducing less bacteria with each use. But probably the ingredients would break down anyway.

Two I can't let go of are a really old L'Occitane lipstick (It's more balmy than full coverage and it's the perfect peachy/coral tint for when I don't want to go with pink or red or anything crazy) and one of those Sephora Pantone lipsticks (It's a dusty, powdery lipstick. Slightly drying but I like the formula... closer to MAC than my other creamier lipsticks and the color is great for me. Not bright fuchsia or a true pink and not straight up purple or lavender. It's one of my favorite statement lips).

I can't let go of the blushes and eyeshadow palettes because I use them so infrequently that it would be wasteful to keep buying new ones. But I couldn't limit myself to a few shades when I already have all these colors. 

17 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Speaking of HG beauty products, do any of you have the bad habit of hanging on to makeup that you should have thrown out because it works so well for you/is the perfect color/etc.? I would never do it with mascara but since I don't use my makeup a lot (and so I don't hit pan that often) I will admit I've got blushes and eyeshadow palettes and especially lipsticks that I should have tossed but won't. The really gross or suspicious looking lipsticks get tossed but otherwise I just keep using them. I wonder if de-potting (or whatever the equivalent would be for each product) would help them last longer since you're introducing less bacteria with each use. But probably the ingredients would break down anyway.

Two I can't let go of are a really old L'Occitane lipstick (It's more balmy than full coverage and it's the perfect peachy/coral tint for when I don't want to go with pink or red or anything crazy) and one of those Sephora Pantone lipsticks (It's a dusty, powdery lipstick. Slightly drying but I like the formula... closer to MAC than my other creamier lipsticks and the color is great for me. Not bright fuchsia or a true pink and not straight up purple or lavender. It's one of my favorite statement lips).

I can't let go of the blushes and eyeshadow palettes because I use them so infrequently that it would be wasteful to keep buying new ones. But I couldn't limit myself to a few shades when I already have all these colors. 

Yes!  I have a few Fresh Sugar lipglosses (now discontinued and replaced with cream treatments) and some lipsticks and eye shadows that are in my drawer and my purse.  I suppose the glosses are still okay to use, but some lipsticks are 2 plus years old!  I really need to do a purge...

I think it's ok-ish to keep things for comparison purposes or collectors reasons. It's also very natural to have old school things in your makeup collection you've simply forgotten about or don't part with because of price or cache. Like limited edition palettes or high end items you are iffy on color or formula. But it is clutter. 

Another problem I have is if it's swatched but unused and then I don't like. I don't wanna trash an entire palette for waste/environmental but then again I work in grocery and see hundreds of dollars of usable products and large landfill hog items thrown out a day so I'm actually being stupid by even thinking that. 

My grandmother had antique cosmetics and perfumes. Like old stuff she purchased for display. As an adolescent, I dabbed some of the Victorian and depression era perfumes on my wrists a couple times and didn't rash lol but I'm sure if enough was applied it could pickle. 

• Love 2

I'm almost out of mascara and need to find a good, but inexpensive, waterproof mascara. I go to the gym on my lunch hour and don't have time to reapply, so I need something that won't smudge too much when I sweat. I would prefer something that doesn't cost $30 or more. It may be good, but I just can't justify spending that much on mascara.

I stole a tip from @aradia22 and started using the single use wands they have in cosmetic stores to apply mascara.  I'm much happier with the look (almost) regardless of the price of the mascara.  If I'm decently happy with the original brush, I still use a disposable wand to brush over my lashes after instead of a lash comb.

• Love 1

I'm liking the new Hourglass Caution mascara.  Not waterproof (cuz I hate it) but smudgeproof.  It comes in a mini size at Sephora (and Rouge sale starts tomorrow) so you can give it a try for little investment.

I'm almost out of mascara and need to find a good, but inexpensive, waterproof mascara. I go to the gym on my lunch hour and don't have time to reapply, so I need something that won't smudge too much when I sweat. I would prefer something that doesn't cost $30 or more. It may be good, but I just can't justify spending that much on mascara.

My current fave is L'Oreal Lash Paradise. I say this as someone who hates all mascara because nothing keeps my lashes curled. Before this it was a L'Oreal Telescopic variation they don't make anymore. Just a heads up that this is definitely waterproof and it works on stubborn lashes. But it's heavy duty stuff. L'Oreal tends to be a lot drier than other mascaras and I'm not sure it's great every day (I haven't tested it because I don't have a reason to wear mascara every day). 

That primer is gorgeous, I sample it whenever I am in the store.   I often do just a primer, and only add foundation for special occasions, so a good primer is critical.  

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, Quof said:

That primer is gorgeous, I sample it whenever I am in the store.   I often do just a primer, and only add foundation for special occasions, so a good primer is critical.  

Just curious, what other primers do you like? Thx :)

I think I found a product that has changed my makeup game. It's called Australian Gold SPF 50 Tinted Face Lotion. It's a natural mineral sunscreen (zinc and titanium dioxide) but at least on me, it doesn't leave a white cast because it's tinted. In fact because of the tint, it provides a light layer of coverage that covers up some redness, hyperpigmentation, etc. The formula dries down to be matte and it controls oil really well (so if you have dry skin it probably would be too dry for you, at least without moisturizer).

Even though it isn't marketed as a primer, it acts as one better than any actual primer, BB cream, etc. I have ever tried. I put my Cover FX powder foundation over it and it sticks to it and doesn't budge. I haven't tried it with eyeshadow but I did put the powder foundation on my eyelids and it stayed all day, so it could probably work as an eye primer. Even my blush stayed on all day and my blush usually wears off in like, an hour. The finish on my makeup is also better than it ever has been in my life. I haven't tested it in hot weather yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed on even when it's 90+ degrees out.

This basically does all the stuff that BareMinerals Complexion Rescue was supposed to do (which is something I tried before and I didn't feel like it provided much coverage), and it's also 2.5x times the amount for less than half the price. The last sunscreen I tried out (Sun Bum SPF 50) never dried down and was so horrible under makeup that I couldn't even wear makeup during the day at all this summer (it made me look uncanny valley), and it also frequently burned my eyes when I used it because of the avobenzone. Plus, it had microplastic ingredients in it such as Polyester-8. The Australian Gold sunscreen is reef-safe.

The only issue is I'm not entirely convinced that this sunscreen really is SPF 50 because it only has 4% zinc oxide and 4% titanium dioxide. The SPF is affected by the other ingredients in the sunscreen such as antioxidants, and the SPFs have to be tested by third parties to be approved, and I have found other sunscreens from different well-known companies with similar percentages and SPFs, but still. I'm treating it as if it's more like SPF 30. I'm going to use this as my sunscreen if the UV index is low to moderate, but when it's high, I will layer something else under it. I will probably try out the Elta MD Physical Broad-Spectrum SPF 41 because it has amazing reviews and my dermatologist recommends it, but since it's expensive the Australian Gold is a good option for when only moderate UV protection is needed.

Also, because this sunscreen is so good at keeping makeup on, it also is a bit difficult to remove with just my Drunk Elephant cleanser bars and a washcloth.

Also I feel like they should make different tints for other skin tones if possible. Right now they only have one. It is a little dark for me but since it's a light tint and I put powder foundation over it anyway, it doesn't show up as dark. But on a POC it would probably still leave a white cast. Unfortunately a lot of POC can't find natural sunscreens that don't leave a white cast -- my husband has this problem.

EDIT: BTW, this probably provides adequate UVB protection at least because I used the untinted version of this all last summer, including during outdoor activities such as the beach, and never got burned or even noticeably tan. And I'm pale, N10 in Cover FX. In fact it worked so well that last July my doctor made me get a blood test because he thought I was too pale and might have an iron deficiency (I didn't, I just really am that white LOL). But I'm not sure about the UVA protection although legally to say "broad-spectrum" it has to provide equal UVA and UVB protection. It's probably fine.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
15 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

The only issue is I'm not entirely convinced that this sunscreen really is SPF 50 because it only has 4% zinc oxide and 4% titanium dioxide. The SPF is affected by the other ingredients in the sunscreen such as antioxidants, and the SPFs have to be tested by third parties to be approved, and I have found other sunscreens from different well-known companies with similar percentages and SPFs, but still.

SPF only measures UVB protection so it is possible that it is a true SPF 50 with those low percentages, but it probably does not have a high UVA protection. When compared to another mineral/inorganic sunscreen such as Neutrogena SheerZinc  (21% zinc) and has been independently found to have a high UVA protection rating.

I care more about the UVA protection in sunscreens which is why I tend to buy European or Japanese sunscreens which are rated with UVAPF or PA for UVA Protection. I do have the Australian Gold sunscreen untinted. I will probably use it more in colder months rather than as a protective summer sunscreen.

On 9/3/2018 at 10:41 AM, Athena said:

SPF only measures UVB protection so it is possible that it is a true SPF 50 with those low percentages, but it probably does not have a high UVA protection. When compared to another mineral/inorganic sunscreen such as Neutrogena SheerZinc  (21% zinc) and has been independently found to have a high UVA protection rating.

I care more about the UVA protection in sunscreens which is why I tend to buy European or Japanese sunscreens which are rated with UVAPF or PA for UVA Protection. I do have the Australian Gold sunscreen untinted. I will probably use it more in colder months rather than as a protective summer sunscreen.

In order for it to say "broad-spectrum" supposedly it does have to have about equal UVA and UVB protection. Also I have found several other sunscreens with comparable percentages and SPFs, such as Coola, CeraVe, Neutrogena Pure and Free, and some other ones which I can't remember. Elta MD only has I think 9% zinc and 7% titanium dioxide and it has one of the highest UVA protections on the market. So the formula does matter a lot.

https://eltamd.com/faqs/what-does-broad-spectrum-mean-2/

Where do people even buy European or Japanese sunscreens? I always see people talking about it but the only places I've found to buy them have really high international shipping rates.

I actually went to my dermatologist on Tuesday and she stocks Elta MD, so I sampled the Elta MD tinted sunscreen. Unfortunately, it is too dark for me.

But fortunately they just came out with this untinted mineral sunscreen which my dermatologist also stocks. I think I will probably try this one out.

https://eltamd.com/product/eltamd-uv-replenish/

In other news I'm really enjoying the Lush Honey I Washed My Hair shampoo bar. I prefer to use shampoo bars to save plastic. In the past I tried the Montalbano bar, which dried my hair out (later they told me it was a deep cleansing shampoo and only supposed to be used occasionally) and the Godiva bar, which was a lot better but left a slight residue on my hair and also there would always be these chunks of cocoa butter left over at the end of the shampoo bar. But the Honey I Washed My Hair is evenly blended, it doesn't leave a residue, it's both moisturizing and cleansing, my hair is silky (although there's only so much any shampoo can do to control frizz when it's 95 degrees out), and it's a good value for how long it lasts. I'm using Paul Mitchell The Detangler conditioner which is also good but I would like to find a conditioner bar or other plastic-free option (I tried the Lush Big conditioner bar but it left a lot of residue and buildup on my hair).

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

In order for it to say "broad-spectrum" supposedly it does have to have about equal UVA and UVB protection. Also I have found several other sunscreens with comparable percentages and SPFs, such as Coola, CeraVe, Neutrogena Pure and Free, and some other ones which I can't remember. Elta MD only has I think 9% zinc and 7% titanium dioxide and it has one of the highest UVA protections on the market. So the formula does matter a lot.

https://eltamd.com/faqs/what-does-broad-spectrum-mean-2/

Where do people even buy European or Japanese sunscreens? I always see people talking about it but the only places I've found to buy them have really high international shipping rates.

The US tests for UVA but vendors are not obligated to list the PPD or use a PA system. UVA and UVB are not the same rating. They are broad spectrum, but it doesn't mean they have equal UVA since there are different formulas and different filters. The Neutrogena has 21.6% zinc and the CeraVe has a 23% zinc version. All Elta MD sunscreens are PA+++ which means a PPD higher than 8.

In Europe and Canada, the UVA protection (PPD) has to be equivalent to at least 1/3 of the UV-B protection (SPF), however, the UVA could be even higher than that since that's just the minimum value. There are a number of European sunscreens which have PPD of over 20. I do not think there are a lot of US sunscreens over PPD 20. Most high PPD sunscreens use  second generation sun filters which have not been approved for use in the USA, but they are in use in other high income and developed countries.

I do not live in the USA, but I know Americans can get a number of Japanese PA+++ sunscreens on Amazon. European sunscreens are trickier but I know of sites which specialize in it. In Canada, we do not list the PPD, but we do the one third rating. The Australian Gold is sold here so I assume a PPD of at least 16. However, I can also buy European ones which likely have PPD > 20 based on the filters used. I use both zinc only sunscreens (primarily for the outdoors) and mixed chemical/inorganic ones.

I also only use shampoo bars. I don't find a need a conditioner after, but I'll use a hair oil on my ends as my hair is air drying.

5 hours ago, Athena said:

The US tests for UVA but vendors are not obligated to list the PPD or use a PA system. UVA and UVB are not the same rating. They are broad spectrum, but it doesn't mean they have equal UVA since there are different formulas and different filters. The Neutrogena has 21.6% zinc and the CeraVe has a 23% zinc version. All Elta MD sunscreens are PA+++ which means a PPD higher than 8.

In Europe and Canada, the UVA protection (PPD) has to be equivalent to at least 1/3 of the UV-B protection (SPF), however, the UVA could be even higher than that since that's just the minimum value. There are a number of European sunscreens which have PPD of over 20. I do not think there are a lot of US sunscreens over PPD 20. Most high PPD sunscreens use  second generation sun filters which have not been approved for use in the USA, but they are in use in other high income and developed countries.

I do not live in the USA, but I know Americans can get a number of Japanese PA+++ sunscreens on Amazon. European sunscreens are trickier but I know of sites which specialize in it. In Canada, we do not list the PPD, but we do the one third rating. The Australian Gold is sold here so I assume a PPD of at least 16. However, I can also buy European ones which likely have PPD > 20 based on the filters used. I use both zinc only sunscreens (primarily for the outdoors) and mixed chemical/inorganic ones.

I also only use shampoo bars. I do

n't find a need a conditioner after, but I'll use a hair oil on my ends as my hair is air drying.

If a sunscreen in the US says "broad-spectrum" by law they have to have about equal UVA and UVB protection, as mentioned in the link I provided.

The sunscreens I was talking about are Neutrogena Pure & Free SPF 50, which has 3% Zinc Oxide and 5% Titanium Dioxide:

https://www.ulta.com/pure-free-liquid-spf-50?productId=xlsImpprod3060017

CeraVe Face Sunscreen SPF 50 which has 3.67% Titanium Dioxide and 3.5% Zinc Oxide:

https://www.ulta.com/face-sunscreen-50-with-zinc-oxide-broad-spectrum-spf-50?productId=xlsImpprod11281079

and Coola Mineral Face SPF 30 which has 3.2% Titanium Dioxide and 1.8% Zinc Oxide:

https://www.ulta.com/mineral-face-spf30-matte-tint?productId=xlsImpprod6480208

So if so many sunscreens, including from top brands, are sold with similar percentages and marketed as broad-spectrum, which has to pass tests legally, then it must be possible to make effective broad-spectrum sunscreens with those percentages depending on what else is in the sunscreen.

Also Elta MD has a PPD much higher than 8, over 16 from what I found online.

Anyway if Australian Gold is sold in Canada and it needs to have a high PPD to be sold there, then it's probably fine.

I wish that we would get the new UV filters in the US also. They were supposed to be passed but weren't, probably because of industry influence. I don't use chemical sunscreens because they burn my eyes and are also terrible for the environment. It can't be good for eyes to be getting inflamed for hours at a time, 1-2 times a week, from sunscreen, which is what was happening this summer when I was using chemical sunscreens. Also, my dermatologist says that physical sunscreens are much more effective since the active ingredients stay active all day, which I have found to be true. I got a very slight tan on my hands and arms even though I have only gone outside without long sleeves about 2 or 3 times this summer and I wore Sun Bum SPF 50 sunscreen whenever I did. I think that's probably because I didn't know until recently that you have to wait 15 minutes before going outside after putting on chemical sunscreen or it will not be fully active. Physical sunscreens are active right away since they are physical blockers. But it's also hard to find a physical sunscreen that doesn't leave a white cast.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
1 hour ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

So if so many sunscreens, including from top brands, are sold with similar percentages and marketed as broad-spectrum, which has to pass tests legally, then it must be possible to make effective broad-spectrum sunscreens with those percentages depending on what else is in the sunscreen.

Also Elta MD has a PPD much higher than 8, over 16 from what I found online.

Anyway if Australian Gold is sold in Canada and it needs to have a high PPD to be sold there, then it's probably fine.

I wish that we would get the new UV filters in the US also. They were supposed to be passed but weren't, probably because of industry influence. I don't use chemical sunscreens because they burn my eyes and are also terrible for the environment. It can't be good for eyes to be getting inflamed for hours at a time, 1-2 times a week, from sunscreen, which is what was happening this summer when I was using chemical sunscreens. Also, my dermatologist says that physical sunscreens are much more effective since the active ingredients stay active all day, which I have found to be true. I got a very slight tan on my hands and arms even though I have only gone outside without long sleeves about 2 or 3 times this summer and I wore Sun Bum SPF 50 sunscreen whenever I did. I think that's probably because I didn't know until recently that you have to wait 15 minutes before going outside after putting on chemical sunscreen or it will not be fully active. Physical sunscreens are active right away since they are physical blockers. But it's also hard to find a physical sunscreen that doesn't leave a white cast.

I am not saying they weren't broad spectrum only that with lack of clear US regulations, there are not many high PPD sunscreens and there is no indication how much PPD is in them. I understand your preference for physical/inorganic sunscreen filters as I use them for working out. They do sting less compared to some other chemical/organic filters.

I do like using newer filter chemical sunscreens as they are cosmetically more elegant and do not have a major white cast for the high SPF. As for them being terrible for the environment, zinc oxide has been found damaging to coral. I have never used the Sun Bum so I can't compare but if you ever manage to get a hold of them, you should try new filters from Europe, Canada, Japan, or Australia. I like them as body sunscreens for every day. Both inorganic and organic (chemical) sunscreens work right away when applied; the wait time is advised for all sunscreens so that it can dry and become a film on the skin. I think you'd be interested in this article about sunscreen myths.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Athena said:

I am not saying they weren't broad spectrum only that with lack of clear US regulations, there are not many high PPD sunscreens and there is no indication how much PPD is in them. I understand your preference for physical/inorganic sunscreen filters as I use them for working out. They do sting less compared to some other chemical/organic filters.

I do like using newer filter chemical sunscreens as they are cosmetically more elegant and do not have a major white cast for the high SPF. As for them being terrible for the environment, zinc oxide has been found damaging to coral. I have never used the Sun Bum so I can't compare but if you ever manage to get a hold of them, you should try new filters from Europe, Canada, Japan, or Australia. I like them as body sunscreens for every day. Both inorganic and organic (chemical) sunscreens work right away when applied; the wait time is advised for all sunscreens so that it can dry and become a film on the skin. I think you'd be interested in this article about sunscreen myths.

It depends on the concentration and amount of zinc oxide, but it's definitely less bad than oxybenzone, and also oxybenzone has other bad effects such as hormone disruption. In any case, in the US it's the only UVA1 filter besides avobenzone, which burns my eyes, so there's not really much of a choice. And non-natural sunscreens often contain other chemicals that are bad for the environment such as microplastics (polyester-8, nylon-12, etc.). It would be great if the US could approve the new filters but probably some lobbying group put pressure on the FDA not to approve them. As a rule I don't order items internationally because of the high shipping costs (even from Canada it can be very high), and I also don't really trust buying cosmetic products on Amazon because a lot of times they are fake or expired, but if there was a way to get them from a trusted source with reasonable shipping costs, then maybe I would order them.

My regular makeup consists of IT BB cream.  Fortunately, my skin is okay enough for a light coverage, blended with a beauty sponge.  Sometimes, that will be all I wear, if I'mY in a hurry or just don't give a crap mood.  I use the IT blush, which looks very natural.  I also have their setting powder, which is a pore minimizer.  Not sure if it minimizes that well, but it is very lightweight and gives a more finished look.

Now if I'm really going all in, I will dig out my old, old, old YSL, Touche Eclat Radiance Pen.  I had heard it was discontinued - which is why I have hung onto this old treasure.  On a couple of occasions where I had time to really do a thorough job on my makeup, I had many compliments after highlighting (and blending everything, of course) using this pen.  Someone told me, where did you hear it was discontinued - it's at Sephora.  The nearest Sephora is a bit of a trip from where I live (well compared to Ulta which is like a 2 minute drive from where I work), so I'll have to either order it and have it shipped out or just trek up there on a weekend.  

I typically wear a liquid eyeliner; right now I'm using an Elf eyeliner, which has been working ok for me.  I've also used Bare Minerals liners and eyeshadows (loose powder from the jars) wet as liners.  I've tried all sorts of mascaras, but nothing has been my absolute favorite as of yet.  Plus with allergy season and glasses, sometimes I skip it.

• Love 1

As I was traveling back home from China today, I happened to stop into one of those skincare/makeup duty-free shops and found Guerlain's Abeille Royale Night Cream for more than $100 off than it costs here in the states.  I've been eyeing this cream for about 3 years now, ever since I got a sample (which I use a very tiny amount of every few months!).  And every year, I put it in my Sephora cart, but then remove it because I couldn't justify spending close to $200 on a face cream.  But I converted $500 US to Yuan for my vacation and barely spent a 200 yuan my entire trip, so I had so much money left over and I couldn't resist the price!  I'll be hoarding that jar like a mofo for the next few years.....

• Love 6

The Australian Gold sunscreen is still my HG sunscreen/primer/base. BTW I tried it with eyeshadow and it actually does work as an eyeshadow primer.

Finally I found a HG skincare routine and it's really simple and kind of weird. Washing my face with fragrance-free olive oil soap (I was using Drunk Elephant Pekee Bar but I ran out and IDK if I will even repurchase), then moisturizing with Vitamin Shoppe hyaluronic acid serum and raw shea butter. In the warmer months I'll probably just wear the serum. But something about this combination does wonders. It moisturizes and my skin is ridiculously soft now and even looks younger, but it also somehow controls oil so for the first time since I was 9 years old my T-zone is non-oily. My acne also cleared up a lot and I didn't even get my monthly hormonal breakout. Well, at least I didn't until I decided to be an idiot and put my husband's body lotion on my face last week because I was extremely tired and didn't feel like walking all the way to the bathroom to get my skincare products...and then I ended up with some angry red pimples, plus some kind of weird cluster of red bumps that I don't think were pimples but were some other kind of skin irritation. Never again. Anyway I might also throw a chemical exfoliant into the mix too, not sure. I still have closed comedones on my forehead but nothing I have ever tried has ever done anything about that (including tretinoin). But this is the first time I've actually seen a skincare routine have lasting results and I've tried all kinds of products. Who knew it was that simple?

Also Burts' Bees tinted lip balm is my HG lip product. I wore lipstick for years but I suddenly decided lipstick is overrated and I really wasn't into the bolder look, plus the fact that it would wear off unevenly and get on everything. I think tinted lip balm is so much better because it doesn't look over-the-top, and it wears off evenly...plus it doesn't dry your lips out obviously. I have two shades currently, Red Dahlia (dark 90s red which is my favorite and good for going out), and Zinnia (the only time a coral has ever looked good on me, probably because it's a balm so it isn't as in your face and my natural lip color shows up under it). I may end up getting all six colors, if I can use them all up within a year. The Burts' Bees formula is really good too, I think because the beeswax helps it stay on...I've tried really greasy lip balms before.

Lucy Minerals foundation isn't exactly my HG but I reordered it recently and I guess it's the only thing I'm going to use for the foreseeable future, since it's the best thing I can find and the price is good. Before I was using Cover FX powder foundation but I realized it was breaking me out. The Lucy Minerals foundation itself is good and has clean ingredients but I would prefer a pressed powder because it's neater and easier to work with. However I did get a powder puff to apply it with since Wayne Goss recommended that for powder foundation and it does work so much better than a brush. With brushes it's really easy for it to get cakey or to make a big mess everywhere, but the powder puff sort of contains the mess a bit and the finish looks much more natural. I also use a smaller brush to apply it in a more concentrated amount as a concealer to any breakouts. I can never get cream concealers to stay on so I gave up wasting my money on them.

And for hair I finally found a great conditioner bar, the Bar None conditioner bar from Ulta. I really hope they don't get rid of this product because it's one of the best conditioners I've tried. My hair is really soft and doesn't have a waxy residue on it (which has happened with conditioner bars I tried in the past) and isn't flat or frizzy or both (which has happened with all types of conditioners I tried in the past). It's also really easy to take to the gym. I'm using it along with the Honey I Washed My Hair shampoo bar from Lush, and I'm still using the same bar I was using when I posted about it previously in this thread, so you can see how long it lasts.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 1

How long do the shampoo and conditioner bars last? I've been considering trying them out because I like the idea of less waste. 

I got a pretty good-sized sample of Sunday Riley's Good Genes in a Best of Dermstore bag from Target and it's...really good. Holy grail good. My face feels smoother and my skin looks brighter and more even-toned since I started using it. I will cry when my sample runs out because I don't think I will shell out the big bucks for it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Minneapple said:

How long do the shampoo and conditioner bars last? I've been considering trying them out because I like the idea of less waste.

I've had my shampoo bar for over three months and I still have about 30% of it left. I don't know how long the conditioner bar will last since I haven't had it for that long, but the packaging claimed it lasts about 3x longer than a bottle of conditioner. It takes me about a month to go through a bottle of conditioner (or at least it did for the Shea Moisture conditioner which was the last one I used), and I've had the conditioner bar for a couple of weeks and I don't see much noticeable reduction in its size. I shampoo every other day but I condition every day. I have shoulder-length hair but I do use a generous amount of shampoo and conditioner. I definitely recommend trying them out. I've tried a lot of zero waste products or DIYs that were total fails so it's really refreshing to find something that actually works better than the non-ZW counterpart.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
12 hours ago, Minneapple said:

I got a pretty good-sized sample of Sunday Riley's Good Genes in a Best of Dermstore bag from Target and it's...really good. Holy grail good. My face feels smoother and my skin looks brighter and more even-toned since I started using it. I will cry when my sample runs out because I don't think I will shell out the big bucks for it.

Yeah, I love that stuff but wish I could quit it because of the cost. It is pretty amazing. I'm down to the dregs of my bottle. I alternate it with Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peels (I need a lot of exfoliation) which makes the Good Genes last longer, but it's not like the Alpha Beta peels are cheap either. 

On 8/25/2018 at 6:33 AM, forumfish said:

I rarely wear makeup anymore, but I still swear by Maybelline Lash Discovery, very black waterproof. Back when I worked in an office, wore contacts, and took circuit training on my lunch hour, the mascara never failed. And it was readily available and under $10.

Same here. Using almost no makeup now, only mascara by Maybelline and various lipsticks from Kat Von D. As for shampoo and stuff a big Garnier and L'Oreal fan here :) 

My usual shampoo and conditioner combo, I find it cheaper to buy these in sets. Also, I like Garnier's leave-in conditioner, such as this. Sometimes I'm fancy to relax and then I treat myself with hair masks, was using Garnier Fructis Smoothing , but recently I got my hair dyed and bought L'Oreal EverPure . Liked the last one but still looking for something more extravagant, I also consider making DIY-masks after reading this article, especially with avocados.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:18 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

The Australian Gold sunscreen is still my HG sunscreen/primer/base. BTW I tried it with eyeshadow and it actually does work as an eyeshadow primer.

Finally I found a HG skincare routine and it's really simple and kind of weird. Washing my face with fragrance-free olive oil soap (I was using Drunk Elephant Pekee Bar but I ran out and IDK if I will even repurchase), then moisturizing with Vitamin Shoppe hyaluronic acid serum and raw shea butter. In the warmer months I'll probably just wear the serum. But something about this combination does wonders. It moisturizes and my skin is ridiculously soft now and even looks younger, but it also somehow controls oil so for the first time since I was 9 years old my T-zone is non-oily. My acne also cleared up a lot and I didn't even get my monthly hormonal breakout. Well, at least I didn't until I decided to be an idiot and put my husband's body lotion on my face last week because I was extremely tired and didn't feel like walking all the way to the bathroom to get my skincare products...and then I ended up with some angry red pimples, plus some kind of weird cluster of red bumps that I don't think were pimples but were some other kind of skin irritation. Never again. Anyway I might also throw a chemical exfoliant into the mix too, not sure. I still have closed comedones on my forehead but nothing I have ever tried has ever done anything about that (including tretinoin). But this is the first time I've actually seen a skincare routine have lasting results and I've tried all kinds of products. Who knew it was that simple?

Also Burts' Bees tinted lip balm is my HG lip product. I wore lipstick for years but I suddenly decided lipstick is overrated and I really wasn't into the bolder look, plus the fact that it would wear off unevenly and get on everything. I think tinted lip balm is so much better because it doesn't look over-the-top, and it wears off evenly...plus it doesn't dry your lips out obviously. I have two shades currently, Red Dahlia (dark 90s red which is my favorite and good for going out), and Zinnia (the only time a coral has ever looked good on me, probably because it's a balm so it isn't as in your face and my natural lip color shows up under it). I may end up getting all six colors, if I can use them all up within a year. The Burts' Bees formula is really good too, I think because the beeswax helps it stay on...I've tried really greasy lip balms before.

Lucy Minerals foundation isn't exactly my HG but I reordered it recently and I guess it's the only thing I'm going to use for the foreseeable future, since it's the best thing I can find and the price is good. Before I was using Cover FX powder foundation but I realized it was breaking me out. The Lucy Minerals foundation itself is good and has clean ingredients but I would prefer a pressed powder because it's neater and easier to work with. However I did get a powder puff to apply it with since Wayne Goss recommended that for powder foundation and it does work so much better than a brush. With brushes it's really easy for it to get cakey or to make a big mess everywhere, but the powder puff sort of contains the mess a bit and the finish looks much more natural. I also use a smaller brush to apply it in a more concentrated amount as a concealer to any breakouts. I can never get cream concealers to stay on so I gave up wasting my money on them.

And for hair I finally found a great conditioner bar, the Bar None conditioner bar from Ulta. I really hope they don't get rid of this product because it's one of the best conditioners I've tried. My hair is really soft and doesn't have a waxy residue on it (which has happened with conditioner bars I tried in the past) and isn't flat or frizzy or both (which has happened with all types of conditioners I tried in the past). It's also really easy to take to the gym. I'm using it along with the Honey I Washed My Hair shampoo bar from Lush, and I'm still using the same bar I was using when I posted about it previously in this thread, so you can see how long it lasts.

What raw shea butter do you use?

On 7/25/2016 at 4:34 PM, Petunia13 said:

I have this awesome balm that I got from my Union. Lol why is it always promotional lip balms like the ones from Yelp parties, or the union, or event favors...are always the best in scent or taste or moisturizing?? 

I know this is an old post, but I had to laugh because I, too, love the Yelp lip balm! It’s crazy because they obviously order it from some promo company, but it’s good stuff!

My HG products are:

Clinique Take the Day Off Balm

AmorePacific Vintage Single Essence Extract

For foundation it’s a tie between Too Faced Peach Perfect (daily) and YSL Touche Eclat All-in-One Glow (special occasions)

I own a billion red lipsticks but I seem to get the most compliments with Too Faced Peach Kiss in Stop Traffic and YSL Vinyl Cream Lip Stain in Rythym Red

Dior Creme Abricot Nail Cream

And... Chap Stick. Plain old Chap Stick. I’m partial to the summer Watermelon version, but I will use other “flavors.”

I use so many other things 😉 but those are the ones that really stand out.

Pat McGrath had an insane Cyber Monday sale where her $40 lipsticks were on sale for $10, so I bought four. And let me tell you they would be worth the $40 price tag. They go on smooth and silky, the color is even, and they have incredible staying power. Like even through my morning coffee and such. Probably the best lipstick I've ever used and lipsticks are my fave beauty products so I've tried a LOT.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Pat McGrath had an insane Cyber Monday sale where her $40 lipsticks were on sale for $10, so I bought four. And let me tell you they would be worth the $40 price tag. They go on smooth and silky, the color is even, and they have incredible staying power. Like even through my morning coffee and such. Probably the best lipstick I've ever used and lipsticks are my fave beauty products so I've tried a LOT.

Thanks for posting this! I don’t mind splurging on products that are legitimately better than L’Oréal or whatever. 

Anyone know of a waterproof, smudge proof, long lasting "water line" eyeliner?

I have spent so much money trying these products (drug store and department store)

I have very oily facial skin and the eyeliners all smear and I look like a scary person from a horror movie after 6 hours. 

Any suggestions are appreciated!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I have spent so much money trying these products (drug store and department store)

I have very oily facial skin and the eyeliners all smear and I look like a scary person from a horror movie after 6 hours. 

Any suggestions are appreciated!

I need a good eyeliner for my waterline too. My skin's not even really oily, and I still struggle finding one that lasts. It might be because I use eye cream, but I don't want to give it up. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I need a good eyeliner for my waterline too. My skin's not even really oily, and I still struggle finding one that lasts. It might be because I use eye cream, but I don't want to give it up. 

I'm beginning to think I'll find a unicorn before I find an eyeliner that doesn't smear and lasts all day.

• Love 1
On 2/29/2020 at 6:37 PM, chenoa333 said:

The Marc Jacobs liner is my go-to. It goes nowhere -- and lasts all day. The only problem with it is it's retractable and can't be sharpened so you're never really going to get a tight line in the corners. 

Also pretty excellent is the KVD Lash Liner but it's super tricky to apply. Took me several tries to get the hang of it but it's another one that stays all day and doesn't run. 

2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

The Marc Jacobs liner is my go-to. It goes nowhere -- and lasts all day. The only problem with it is it's retractable and can't be sharpened so you're never really going to get a tight line in the corners. 

Also pretty excellent is the KVD Lash Liner but it's super tricky to apply. Took me several tries to get the hang of it but it's another one that stays all day and doesn't run. 

Thank you so much!! I hate retractable eyeliners but I'll try the Marc Jacobs. In my experience, retractables (including brow pencils) always break off and therefore only last a couple months.