Type keyword(s) to search

Veterinary And Animal Rescue Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

I'll be sitting and watching a beautiful deer on a show, next thing I know something is chasing and killing it.

I can't watch most nature documentaries for this reason.  I learned my lesson after one too many times of stopping on my way around the dial, "Oh, that's a cute animal, is that some sort of--ACK, something just jumped out of the bushes and ate it!!"  I understand that's how it works in the wild, and the food chain is vital.  But I don't want to sit and watch it happen.  I'm watching several bald eagle cams right now, as it's the time of year for the eggs to hatch, and bald eagles mostly eat fish, but they're quite opportunistic and will catch small mammals, too.  Dad was on a real mammal kick in one of the nests today, and if I happened to be watching when he came flying in with the latest catch, I had to click away. 

What I really don't understand are the wildlife shows that are entirely about attacks.  It's one thing to watch predators hunting their prey as part of an overall documentation of their way of life, but to find enjoyment in something that's nothing but shot after shot of animals killing each other?

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

DVR alert.  Wed 3/30 the PBS show Nature is airing "Animal Reunions"; how wild and captive animals are able to remember the humans they've bonded with.  It looks like it will be a really good episode.

Do you remember that Budweiser commercial with the horse running toward the man who trained him? That commercial made me teary eyed every time I saw it. This show reminds me of that. Thanks for the heads up.

• Love 1

Do you remember that Budweiser commercial with the horse running toward the man who trained him? That commercial made me teary eyed every time I saw it. This show reminds me of that. Thanks for the heads up.

Yesss!  Reunions are my everything!  Roxy Mama (Pit Bulls & Parolees), Cristian the Lion cub, the old circus elephant girlfriends, etc, etc, etc - they give me hope and love and life!  I don't mind crying GOOD tears.  :-)

• Love 3

I'm watching it right now. I love the Nature series, as long as nothing dies I can watch it on a loop.

Have you seen the episode about urban raccoons? That was one of the best animal shows I've seen. They are so smart.

Roxy from Pit Bulls and Parolees is my favorite story from that show. Seeing that dog transform right before our eyes once she saw here mama was something special.

I agree good tears.

I read that Roxy has cancer.

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 2

Yes, good tears watching Nature last night. The reunions were awesome. My favorite was the chimp. First, looking up at the mates, then touching her upper arm. Then the full on show of love with the arm around her. Tears!

• Love 4

DVR alert.  Wed 3/30 the PBS show Nature is airing "Animal Reunions"; how wild and captive animals are able to remember the humans they've bonded with.  It looks like it will be a really good episode.

Thanks for the tip; it was a sweet show overall.

I was intrigued enough to look up that Aspinall guy who owns the animal sanctuary, because of the mention of him growing up around gorillas. Wiki has an article about Aspinall's father that mentions the animal park, if interested.

Apparently 60 Minutes did a story on this particular reunion with Kwibi:

"If only we could end on an optimistic note. But we can’t. A month after the gorillas crossed the bridge, Damian’s team found all five adult females dead, including Tamki – as well as baby Akou. An outcome so many of Damian’s critics predicted. Damian’s best guess is that a wild male silverback attacked the family: killing some on the spot, others dying from injury, infections or stress."

• Love 4

Thanks for the tip; it was a sweet show overall.

I was intrigued enough to look up that Aspinall guy who owns the animal sanctuary, because of the mention of him growing up around gorillas. Wiki has an article about Aspinall's father that mentions the animal park, if interested.

Apparently 60 Minutes did a story on this particular reunion with Kwibi:

"If only we could end on an optimistic note. But we can’t. A month after the gorillas crossed the bridge, Damian’s team found all five adult females dead, including Tamki – as well as baby Akou. An outcome so many of Damian’s critics predicted. Damian’s best guess is that a wild male silverback attacked the family: killing some on the spot, others dying from injury, infections or stress."

That's so sad.

• Love 3

Not sure if anyone watched this morning's episode of Lucky Dog. I especially liked it because the dog looks almost exactly like my dog. And my dog was also living on the streets before she ended up in a shelter. I liked the family and their message as well.

• Love 2

Not sure if anyone watched this morning's episode of Lucky Dog. I especially liked it because the dog looks almost exactly like my dog. And my dog was also living on the streets before she ended up in a shelter. I liked the family and their message as well.

Yes!  I really like this little show - always a happy ending.  :-)

Bandit Patrol is one of my all-time favorites.  There's something so very rewarding about seeing injured and orphaned wildlife being rescued, nurtured and returned to the wild.  I also appreciate the variety of animals we see and learn about.

• Love 1

"Dr. Chris Pet Vet" is on CBS with "Lucky Dog." Dr. Chris's cases usually end happily. I think there was one where a baby kangaroo died during the night (it was premature; I think Chris said it may have fallen out of its mother's pouch). I like his show because some of his cases are "exotic" animals.

• Love 1

Has anyone seen Second Chance Chihuahuas? The woman who runs that rescue has a heart of gold. And she reminds me of someone but i can't for the life of me figure out who...

I love that she doesn't refuse so-called "agressive" dogs, such as ones that are food guarders due not having enough to eat, or ones that don't know how to receive physical affection from humans. She and a trainer did a really neat thing with Grumpy, who was not socialized - they put him in the pool on a little surf board. He had to concentrate so much on not falling in the water that he forgot to react negatively to them holding him. Same with when they let him try to swim. Maybe that's a common training technique and I've never seen it before, but I thought it was really interesting. And he made progress! Poor little fella.

• Love 1

Thanks for the earworm, walnutqueen...I think.

(Hey la, hey la...)

Exactamundo, smittykins!  I don't even mind sharing him with his new bride (much as I have an irrational dislike of Russian redheads) because she shares a name with my BFF.   :-)

Has anyone seen Second Chance Chihuahuas? The woman who runs that rescue has a heart of gold. And she reminds me of someone but i can't for the life of me figure out who...

I love that she doesn't refuse so-called "agressive" dogs, such as ones that are food guarders due not having enough to eat, or ones that don't know how to receive physical affection from humans. She and a trainer did a really neat thing with Grumpy, who was not socialized - they put him in the pool on a little surf board. He had to concentrate so much on not falling in the water that he forgot to react negatively to them holding him. Same with when they let him try to swim. Maybe that's a common training technique and I've never seen it before, but I thought it was really interesting. And he made progress! Poor little fella.

Oh, I adored that show, glowlights!  Every dog deserves many chances, as far as I'm concerned.

DVR alert: Unlikely Animal Friends is back for another season on Sat 4/23 on NatgeoWild.  One of my favorite shows of all time - squeee!

• Love 1

I don't know if it's new or just new to me, but I am loving this episode of Dr. Jeff showing the importance of spay/neuter, for both population control and health. 

Yes, I admire Dr. Jeff's mandatory spay/neuter policy.  The clinic will treat stray animals, animals with owners who cannot pay, and offer all kinds of low cost options, but only if spay/neuter is included.

My favorite part of last night's Unlikely Animal Friends episode was about Blakely, the Cincinnati Zoo's "nanny".  Some articles about his recent orphaned cheetah cubs :

http://cw33.com/2016/03/23/nursery-dog-nannies-orphaned-cheetah-cubs/

http://wishtv.com/2016/03/23/cincinnati-zoo-cheetah-dies-cubs-given-dog-companion/

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

I found it very interesting last night that Dr Jeff stated multiple times their new policy is all animals that they treat MUST be spayed and neutered. GOOD! Must be a new policy since they definitely made it clear in the episode.

I am sure this will piss off some people (people hate to be TOLD what to do), but so what. They charge insanely low prices (they have their prices on their website), so if they want to have a policy like that, I am all for it.

Unless you are a breeder, there is zero reason not to fix your pets.

• Love 1

With a clinic name like Planned Pethood, I suspect it was simply the focus of last night's episode rather than a new policy.  And I am all for it.  I favor legislation requiring spay/neuter for pets (with necessary medical exemptions, and with low-cost spay/neuter clinics at shelters), which we have in my area, so a private clinic - especially one that does pro bono work - making it their policy?  Hell, yeah. 

Jackson the cat was a cutie, and I'm so glad that pit bull with heat stroke was okay -- a temp of 109??  I loved the "residentially impaired" man with the little dog with broken bones, how he said he goes stir crazy living such an isolated life and talks to himself, so being able to talk to the dog helps.

• Love 4

I'm suspicious by nature, I guess -- it wouldn't surprise me at all if that "Obsession" character left her dog in the car and then lied about being confused about how he could have gotten heat stroke. She seemed a little out of it. At the very least the staff should have given her an explicit talking-to about needing to keep her dog in the house (not the sun porch) or outside with ample access to shade, turf, and water. Or maybe they did and we just didn't see it.

• Love 3
On 4/25/2016 at 7:24 PM, Peanutbuttercup said:

I'm suspicious by nature, I guess -- it wouldn't surprise me at all if that "Obsession" character left her dog in the car and then lied about being confused about how he could have gotten heat stroke. She seemed a little out of it. At the very least the staff should have given her an explicit talking-to about needing to keep her dog in the house (not the sun porch) or outside with ample access to shade, turf, and water. Or maybe they did and we just didn't see it.

^^Yes, I also suspected shenanigans about how the dog got that overheated, in the absence of any disease/infection. She got very incoherent very fast when it came to how that happened despite her many declarations of intensive love for the dog. 

• Love 2
On 4/24/2016 at 5:55 AM, walnutqueen said:

Yes, I admire Dr. Jeff's mandatory spay/neuter policy.  The clinic will treat stray animals, animals with owners who cannot pay, and offer all kinds of low cost options, but only if spay/neuter is included.

He is my new hero!

• Love 2

Unlikely Animal Friends had a segment about a prosthetic upper beak made for a bald eagle who'd been shot - that was very cool!

Dr. Oakley really gets around what with flying all over the place to reach her remote clients.  I like how she involves her whole family whenever possible, like the horse "round up".  She is one tough lady, working in less than ideal conditions and getting the job done.

My TV boyfriend Dr. Jeff again treated a shelter dog flown in from afar - all for free, of course.  Everything he does just makes him a bigger hero in my eyes.  But, we had a dumb owner who let her dog get into her chocolate MJ edibles - aaargh!

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Unlikely Animal Friends had a segment about a prosthetic upper beak made for a bald eagle who'd been shot - that was very cool!

Dr. Oakley really gets around what with flying all over the place to reach her remote clients.  I like how she involves her whole family whenever possible, like the horse "round up".  She is one tough lady, working in less than ideal conditions and getting the job done.

My TV boyfriend Dr. Jeff again treated a shelter dog flown in from afar - all for free, of course.  Everything he does just makes him a bigger hero in my eyes.  But, we had a dumb owner who let her dog get into her chocolate MJ edibles - aaargh!

WQ, what stood out to me about that owner was that everything she said focused on herself. It was all "MY dog is everything TO ME" and similar comments. I didn't get one inkling that she gave two shits how the dog was feeling or was sorry she hadn't dog-proofed the edibles container. IIRC her reaction when the dog emerged from the mess OK, was along the lines of "Oh, I'M so glad that I have MY dog back because MY dog makes ME so happy!" Yecchh.

EDITED to add: And there was a very strong subtext of ". . . and I'M getting to be on TV, which is so cool, and did I mention, I'm so fabulous?"

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

WQ, what stood out to me about that owner was that everything she said focused on herself. It was all "MY dog is everything TO ME" and similar comments. I didn't get one inkling that she gave two shits how the dog was feeling or was sorry she hadn't dog-proofed the edibles container. IIRC her reaction when the dog emerged from the mess OK, was along the lines of "Oh, I'M so glad that I have MY dog back because MY dog makes ME so happy!" Yecchh.

Jeeves - for some reason she reminded me of the other airhead owner from last week with the over-heated dog who almost died.  As pet owners, we've all probably had some close calls or actual accidents, but the general demeanor of these two just set my teeth on edge. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I just found a new vet show, Bondi Vet. He's one good looking man who practices in a town near Sydney, Australia. He had the cutest miniature horse on the show today. Anyone else seen this?

I found it on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp).

Edited by rcc
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, rcc said:

I just found a new vet show, Bondi Vet. He's one good looking man who practices in a town near Sydney, Australia. He had the cutest miniature horse on the show today. Anyone else seen this?

I found it on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp).

Yes, rcc - here in the US it's called Dr. Chris Pet Vet and is part of my Saturday morning lineup.  Although he's easy on the eyes, my heart still belongs to Dr. Jeff.  ;-)

• Love 4
(edited)

Re Dr. Chris and Toby the cat with recurring tick paralysis -- the owners need to stop letting him go outside! Cheese, people.

No follow-up on Wayne the swan, but hopefully his condition improved with the people who were fostering him. Poor bird still looked pretty close to death.

Dr. Jeff saw Zoe the dog with the broken leg and I liked that they showed the follow-up where she had developed an infection under the cast. These shows sometimes make it seem like all animals are completely cured after one visit.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, lordonia said:

Re Dr. Chris and Toby the cat with recurring tick paralysis -- the owners need to stop letting him go outside! Cheese, people.

No follow-up on Wayne the swan, but hopefully his condition improved with the people who were fostering him. Poor bird still looked pretty close to death.

Dr. Jeff saw Zoe the dog with the broken leg and I liked that they showed the follow-up where she had developed an infection under the cast. These shows sometimes make it seem like all animals are completely cured after one visit.

Zoe's owners (and everyone else) need to learn that unrestrained dogs in the back of a pickup is unacceptable.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Zoe's owners (and everyone else) need to learn that unrestrained dogs in the back of a pickup is unacceptable.

That too! Dr. Jeff said he didn't want to belabor the issue with the owners because they were so upset already, but I hoped they, as well as any errant viewers, learned a lesson. If the health of the poor animal doesn't factor in for them, they should at least consider the financial consequences.

Speaking of money, Dogtown featured that Rottweiler mix (I think?) that was given up by the owners because they couldn't afford treatment for her chronic skin disease. I think some people who impulsively get a pet don't fully appreciate how expensive it can be to maintain and provide care for them. Luckily this particular dog saw a lot of improvement just from the climate change to the dry air of Utah.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
On 5/9/2016 at 3:09 AM, walnutqueen said:

PREACH!!!! And letting your dog stick his head out the window as you drive 65 mph down the freeway.... argh.

I just discovered that Bandit Patrol in available on demand and am getting ready to binge watch. Bring on the critters!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, glowlights said:

PREACH!!!! And letting your dog stick his head out the window as you drive 65 mph down the freeway.... argh.

I just discovered that Bandit Patrol in available on demand and am getting ready to binge watch. Bring on the critters!

^^^ This, too!

I hope you enjoy Bandit Patrol half as much as I do, glowlights!  It is so rewarding for me to see animals rescued and released back into the wild.

• Love 1
(edited)

Holy hell, did Dr. Jeff really just successfully perform a second PU surgery?  I'm impressed.  I'm also hoping Oliver's owner understands how crucial it is to feed him a diet that reduces his risk of forming excess crystals.  Because that surgery has an over 90% success rate; to need it again, the cat is just congenitally prone to crystals and/or eating a shitty diet.  She can't do anything about the first, but she can the second.  And, yeah, quality pet food costs more than the junk, but it costs less than PU surgeries (not to mention the other health problems a cat that overweight is at increased risk of). 

Stumpy!  <sniff>  (The squirrel in the bonus footage from the "Extra Dose" episode.)  The way Jeff's daughter burst into tears upon realizing it was her made me cry right along with her!  I have a lot of squirrels in my neighborhood, and love to watch them chase each other.  I have one I can distinguish from the others, who hangs out in my backyard a lot - Mr. Squirrel (creative, no?) - and who would walk right into my house if I'd let him.  My late cat Maddie used to have long conversations with him, always when Mr. Squirrel was elevated and she was at ground level.  I can walk right up to him, but I don't touch him. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Holy hell, did Dr. Jeff really just successfully perform a second PU surgery? I'm impressed. 

Is it a particularly difficult surgery? The young blond vet was fairly pessimistic about the outcome, so I'm glad it turned out well for this elegant, sweet-natured kitty. Hopefully I'm wrong but can't help but think the owner had been instructed about proper nutrition previously and didn't follow the advice. Yes, dry food is tidy, not smelly, and easy for humans to deliver. Doesn't mean it's necessarily the right choice for every animal. Raw food is thankfully much easier to find now than it was a decade or so ago.

My knees were sore in sympathy with Jeff, and I don't even have knee problems. Get some rest, dude!

Otto the Queensland heeler featured on Lucky Dog was pretty calm for that breed. The training was interesting to watch. I would have loved to adopt him!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

Dr. Jeff appears to be a surgeon with some mad skilz, and a willingness to try when all others would just quit.  I am constantly impressed by his ethics and dedication, as well as his generosity and compassion for owners who have more love than money.  Financial woes can befall even the most responsible of us pet owners, and there is nothing more devastating than the realization that you can no longer afford the very best care that money can buy for your beloved pets.

I can't believe next week is already the season finale of Dr Oakley: Yukon Vet.  I really do love her calm energy and dedication to traveling great distances to treat animals of all kinds.  The scenery is pretty awesome, too.

• Love 2

Hopefully I'm wrong but can't help but think the owner had been instructed about proper nutrition previously and didn't follow the advice.

I think that's a pretty safe bet.  Maybe she just looked at the success rate of the surgery and figured Oliver would be fine no matter what she fed him -- because, statistically, she was likely to have been right.  But Oliver is on the wrong side of the statistics, and hopefully she now understands she can't take the chance.  Plus, Dr. Jeff made that opening HUGE (for a urethra; it's all relative), so there's some leeway for even a fairly large number of crystals to pass through.  Hopefully, he'll be fine, because finding enough tissue to perform that surgery a second time was lucky enough -- three strikes and poor Oliver will likely be out.

I hope they also talked to her about the importance of increased water consumption for Oliver (adding water to his canned food, getting a fountain to encourage more drinking [many cats will drink more water out of a fountain than a regular bowl], etc.) because one of the greatest tools for keeping a urinary tract healthy is to keep it moving.

• Love 2

So that family who let their 7 month old, intact, male puppy playing unsupervised in the front yard . . . did they want him to get hit by a car? The only thing more they could have done was toss him out in a highway or something.

• Love 2

I'm excited that the upcoming veterinary show being advertised on Animal Planet (The Vet Life, premiering 6/4) is about a practice where two of the three partners are black.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I can't believe next week is already the season finale of Dr Oakley: Yukon Vet. I really do love her calm energy and dedication to traveling great distances to treat animals of all kinds. 

I hope some of her visits are set up for purposes of the show, because otherwise driving 6-8 hours seems counterproductive to me. At least Dr. Dee has her plane. Michelle herself is great but I have to admit I could do without her kids being on the show.

Dr. Chris (Australia) was called out to a cow with milk fever and (probably ginned up for drama) seemed out of his element and a bit flustered as he spent time typing the cows legs so she couldn't stand during treatment. Even I was thinking, "Oh, please. Give her some calcium and she'll be back to normal in a flash." Dr. Pol or Dr. Brenda would have handled that without blinking. Dairy farmers probably have supplies on hand to treat it themselves.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Peanutbuttercup said:

So that family who let their 7 month old, intact, male puppy playing unsupervised in the front yard . . . did they want him to get hit by a car? The only thing more they could have done was toss him out in a highway or something.

Yup, I thought the same.

She said he was hit by a car because he was in the front yard while they were inside. Why was a 7 month old puppy (or any dog for that matter) left in a front yard, unattended, with access to a street?

I mean, would anyone leave their 3 year old child in a front yard by itself with access to a street? Hell no, but I guess it is ok for a dog?

I try not to be too judgemental with these people because we don't know the whole story, but something like this could have been prevented.

This one and the one who obviously left her dog in a car or outside with no shade probably don't need to own animals.

• Love 2

Does anyone know what kind of vicious little mammal was on Dr. Chris Pet Vet (Bondi Vet to me) show today? If in fact, U.S. and Canada have the same show on the same day. Dr. Chris was trying to get a swab of the animal's mouth and the guy holding him was scratched and urinated on. I didn't catch what it was but it sure was a scary animal. It was at a zoo.

A wombat maybe? I've never seen one but I do know they can be vicious.

(edited)

@rcc, sounds like we're on different schedules. The episode of Dr. Chris that aired in the U.S. featured a bulldog that needed surgery to help with this breathing and the staff urging Dr. Chris to adopt one of their rescue cats. Next week is about a sea turtle and a shitzu.

Dr. Thielen on Exotic Animal ER sure gave some shade to the marmoset's owner: "Although #10 comes from a breeder, it's still an animal that needs our help." Sad outcome. Were the masks and gloves to protect the animal, the staff, or both? I guess I never thought it through that we can share diseases with other primates.

And by the way, that's an awfully long "internship" Dr. T is doing. I would hope she's been hired on staff by now.

Using the therapeutic honey on the bearded dragon's prolapse reminded me of a story in All Creatures Great and Small about how Dr. Herriott used granulated sugar to help reduce the swelling of a prolapsed uterus in cows.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

My episode of Dr. Chris today had a Samoyed that had been bitten by a parasitic tick and his hind legs were paralyzed. I was surprised that anyone in Australia would have a Samoyed since they are basically winter snow dogs. He had to be shaved to find the tick and it was suggested that he be clipped and checked every day for ticks. He was given an anti serum and was walking pretty normally at the end. Funny looking all shaved like that, especially the tail and ears. But you gotta do what you gotta do. He would be cooler in that weather like that anyway. Another segment had Dr. Chris save a penguin who was malnourished. He even brought him home to his flat to take care of him then he went away to a health zoo for two weeks. He found a mate and the two of them were let loose in Sydney Harbor. 

• Love 1
On 5/13/2016 at 4:11 PM, walnutqueen said:

^^^ This, too!

I hope you enjoy Bandit Patrol half as much as I do, glowlights!  It is so rewarding for me to see animals rescued and released back into the wild.

Sadly, life got in the way and now it's not available. :(

But Dr. K is back for a new season! Love, love, love this show. I felt terrible for that marmoset who died from a miscarriage. Hopefully Dr. K checked to see if the breeder was licensed, and reported them if not. More adorable bunny moments. Dr. K's protegee (forget her name?) is growing in confidence and there is a new intern as well.

• Love 2

It's nice to see how many new vets are women these days.

"Veterinary medicine was 98 percent male in 1960, compared to 50.9 percent female today. Veterinary schools now enroll around 80 percent female students."  ~Veterinary Practice News

• Love 2

Our vet is a woman and the best vet I have ever had in my 40+ years of existence (most of which I have had animals).

I don't want to stereotype, but the female vets we have had just seemed more compassionate towards our animals. The males just seem more...I dunno, clinical? I am sure that is NOT the case with them all, just what we have experienced.

We also have the issue of our male dog does not LIKE men and our female dog is scared of them.

We like our vet enough, my wife and I have joked that if she ever moved out of state, we would probably follow her...

And on Dr K, yeah...from what I understand marmosets just don't do well in captivity. So I can understand why Dr Thielen threw some shade on the breeder. And not sure how a tiny thing like that can have such massive internal bleeding. A fall wouldn't do it I wouldn't think. Sadly the guy didn't seem overly bothered...but then this is coming from someone who gave the poor animal a NUMBER instead of a name.

• Love 1