Type keyword(s) to search

Veterinary And Animal Rescue Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

I post on a couple other forums, but was trying to find a Yankee Jungle forum, this seems to be the closest. 

I used to watch Animal Cops or the variations of it, but after one marathon of it (I watched like 12 episodes) I got so angry at the human race I had to stop watching it.

As for Yankee Jungle, I understand there's been some sort of controversy in regards to it. However, I do like the fact that the Miners do what they can to help the animals. My boyfriend met Bob while we were at the Togus, the VA Hospital here in Maine. I was getting physical therapy when he met him, and they talked for a few minutes. I want to go to DEW when I get the chance, but I need transportation for that. 

I've enjoyed the few episode I've seen so far. Felt horrible for the capuchin monkey and glad that it's got a good place to live now.

Still can't get over the fact they have an alligator now. 

• Love 1

I post on a couple other forums, but was trying to find a Yankee Jungle forum, this seems to be the closest. 

I used to watch Animal Cops or the variations of it, but after one marathon of it (I watched like 12 episodes) I got so angry at the human race I had to stop watching it.

As for Yankee Jungle, I understand there's been some sort of controversy in regards to it. However, I do like the fact that the Miners do what they can to help the animals. My boyfriend met Bob while we were at the Togus, the VA Hospital here in Maine. I was getting physical therapy when he met him, and they talked for a few minutes. I want to go to DEW when I get the chance, but I need transportation for that. 

I've enjoyed the few episode I've seen so far. Felt horrible for the capuchin monkey and glad that it's got a good place to live now.

I'm also in Maine. Another reason why I tuned in to this show originally. I've emailed Julie a couple of times and told her how much I like the show.

• Love 1

If I lived anywhere nearby, I'd drive you there myself, AshleyLyn!

I'm also in Maine. Another reason why I tuned in to this show originally. I've emailed Julie a couple of times and told her how much I like the show.

Please pass along my love next time you contact her, rcc.  I wish all babies could have a Mama like Julie.

If I lived anywhere nearby, I'd drive you there myself, AshleyLyn!

Please pass along my love next time you contact her, rcc.  I wish all babies could have a Mama like Julie.

Will do.

• Love 1

Yankee Jungle taught me a lot about lemurs and the noises they make - weep-weeping, waahing and glunking.  It was so nice seeing them finally come together as a little colony.

Congrats to Julie & Bob - soulmates for over 20 years!

• Love 1

Just to say that I'm really liking that Dog Town focuses on training so much. We don't really see that in other shows and it remains very interesting to me. The one dog who was a neurotic, constant digger was a tough case but they did get him better. The dog from yesterday's show who was a hyper jumper seemed better, but he was returned to the shelter so I'm thinking the training didn't stick, or more likely, the owner didn't stick with it.

• Love 1

I had never seen a lemur before. Yankee Jungle does it again with new knowledge. The lemurs and their new colony all fresh and new and now the three of them living in harmony. Julie does her research and finds out what will work and she has the patience to implement it. Even changing the jars is interesting to watch even though I could almost smell what they're smelling! LOL 20 years and counting with this wonderful couple.

Hannah who spoke last night at the restaurant is the one who has answered my emails. She must work in the office for her mother.

• Love 1
(edited)

DVR alert.  Next Friday, 3/11/16  a new rescue show called "Animal Storm Squad" is airing on NatgeoWild :

"Trial By Fire"

When wildfire touches over 200,000 acres in Washington state, the rescuers rush in, battling dangerous conditions to find a mother cat and her kittens; the team looks for a black bear cub on the loose, as well as escaped horses.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Hi, I've been lurking here for a while and wanted to finally post to thank Walnut Queen for all of the show suggestions. We seem to like the same kinds of shows and you always post about some good shows that I wouldn't know about otherwise.

• Love 3
(edited)

Feel free to post more and lurk less.  :)

Only a few of us post in this thread, so less overwhelming (I don't even bother posting in shows like Survivor and Walking Dead despite religiously watching them....too many posters and posts get lost in the shuffle).

Anyone watch Dr Pol? It was a dog only special. It started off like it was going to be depressing, but ended up being a great, happy endings all around episode.

And I know a vet can't just do work for free, but I just don't know how a vet can turn someone away because they can't afford the treatment. SO nice there are people like that woman who have an account at Dr Pols for people who are low on money.

I am not picking on Dr Pol because he genuinely seems like a great guy who loves animals. But if that lady didn't have the account for people with no money, would he have just let that dog die? I know it probably happens every day around the world...

I guess that is why I like Dr Jeff so much...no way in hell would he let an animal suffer or die because of lack of money.

Edited by Jenkins
  • Love 3
(edited)
Feel free to post more and lurk less.  :)

Ditto!

Thanks for the reminder about Dr. Pol. It's one of my favorite animal shows but I no longer have Nat Geo Wild in my cable package and need to remember to find the episodes online.

Just watched the doggie ep -- the blind Springer Spaniel pup about broke my heart! It always gets to me when animals are so calm and accepting at the vet even though they're being handled by strangers, needled, stitched, poked up the butt, etc. And to be blind and young on top of that! I always think I wouldn't be nearly as good a patient if it was me.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Hi, I've been lurking here for a while and wanted to finally post to thank Walnut Queen for all of the show suggestions. We seem to like the same kinds of shows and you always post about some good shows that I wouldn't know about otherwise.

Welcome, Talky Tina.  It is always a pleasure to "meet" a fellow animal lover.  :-)

• Love 1
(edited)

Thank you everybody!

Walnut Queen, I "see" you in some of the true crime threads, another obsession of mine. I'm either watching animals or watching a woman "Snap".

I worked for the county for way too many years, scrimped and saved to take an early retirement and now I can spend my days doing whatever I want. I now volunteer in the cat room at the local shelter which is probably a huge mistake because there's a big, mangy boy that I think really needs to join my menagerie at home.

The poor guy is just so ugly he's cute.

My menagerie includes 3 dogs, 5 inside cats and a group of ferals that I trapped and had spayed/neutered that live in a cat house I built in my yard, 2 guinea pigs that I trained to do tricks, a very bitchy bunny, my tortoise and 3 huge aquariums.

I like animals more than I like people in most cases.

Thanks again for the nice welcome.

This isn't really an animal show but I also love the show North Woods Law on Animal Planet. I love the beautiful Maine scenery and the cute Game Wardens with those awesome accents aren't too bad to watch either.

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 3
(edited)

Lots of time for whatever I want. I'm not a traveler, I'm a home body and definitely a recluse by choice so just to be able to sleep late and putter around the house and yard is heaven for me. I have a lot of home/yard improvement projects I want to tackle. I bought my little piece of land about 30 years ago and spent 5 years building my little cabin with no loans. I went into retirement with no debt. Now I live in my cabin permanently and I've never been happier in my life! I moved to my cabin a week after my last day on the job and I never looked back. It's modern in that it has plumbing and electricity, I have a satellite dish and internet but it looks rustic and that's exactly what I wanted.

My biggest wish is to turn my property into a pet rescue but I don't have the means to do that. Down the road I might look into starting a doggy day care kind of place. I'm still pretty early in my retirement so I have a lot of fantasies.

Sorry, you didn't ask for my life story!

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 3

Thank you everybody!

Walnut Queen, I "see" you in some of the true crime threads, another obsession of mine. I'm either watching animals or watching a woman "Snap".

I worked for the county for way too many years, scrimped and saved to take an early retirement and now I can spend my days doing whatever I want. I now volunteer in the cat room at the local shelter which is probably a huge mistake because there's a big, mangy boy that I think really needs to join my menagerie at home.

The poor guy is just so ugly he's cute.

My menagerie includes 3 dogs, 5 inside cats and a group of ferals that I trapped and had spayed/neutered that live in a cat house I built in my yard, 2 guinea pigs that I trained to do tricks, a very bitchy bunny, my tortoise and 3 huge aquariums.

I like animals more than I like people in most cases.

Thanks again for the nice welcome.

This isn't really an animal show but I also love the show North Woods Law on Animal Planet. I love the beautiful Maine scenery and the cute Game Wardens with those awesome accents aren't too bad to watch either.

North Woods Law is a favorite of mine too. Any show with animals is a must see for me.

Those "accents" are normal for me. LOL

• Love 2

No kidding. I would be perfectly happy to live in the middle of nowhere with my wife and my animals and only see people when we have to go in to town to buy groceries, etc...which you can now buy most of on Amazon anyways.

"I like animals more than I like people in most cases." Describes me perfectly.

• Love 2

It's my dream as well. My siblings and I inherited a little money from our grandparents about 30 some years ago, they blew theirs and I bought my property. I'd come up every weekend and stay in my tent. I moved up permanently almost 7 months ago and have never had a minute if regret. I even moved my feral cats up with me. Everybody said I should leave them but I couldn't, I'm the only one they trust, they love it here, they have a shed I converted into a cat house so they're safe at night. I couldn't leave them, I just don't have that in me.

I feel like I have found my people here! Animal lovers unite!!!

• Love 4

If you feed, provide housing, and I suspect vet care for the cats, aren't they just your outside pets at this point?  :)

I have a friend who grew up on a farm with barn cats, and those sounded more feral to me than some purported ferals. Her family didn't even feed them; they were on their own with mice and rats.

Yeah, they're pretty much my outdoor cats.

Walnut Queen, I've read here about your love of Alaska and Alaskan shows, have you ever seen Alone in the Wilderness? Dick Proeneke is my hero. That man was amazing. I have every book and video I can get my hands on about him. My dream in life is to visit is cabin.

• Love 1

Yeah, they're pretty much my outdoor cats.

Walnut Queen, I've read here about your love of Alaska and Alaskan shows, have you ever seen Alone in the Wilderness? Dick Proeneke is my hero. That man was amazing. I have every book and video I can get my hands on about him. My dream in life is to visit is cabin.

I have outdoor semi-ferals, too.  Luckily, they all seem healthy, because only half of them let me touch them.

TalkyTina - I've never seen Alone in the Wilderness, but will keep my eyes open for it.

I liked the first episode of Animal Storm Squad.  It is so wonderful to see animals reunited with their people after a disaster.

Bandit Patrol was great this week, too.  The baby raccoons and foxes that were successfully released back into the wild were so darned cute!  And I was very impressed with all the time and effort put into the injured box turtle.

Dr. Oakley: Yukon Vet returns next Saturday on NatgeoWild.

• Love 1

I have outdoor semi-ferals, too. Luckily, they all seem healthy, because only half of them let me touch them.

My mom lives next to our local shelter(in the founder's old house)and has a flock of about 10-15 cats that hang around her yard, in various states of tameness. I still can't see how she can keep their names straight--I only have one, and sometimes she gets called the names of my two previous ones, who've been gone since 2008 and 2014.

• Love 2

I have 6 ferals that I brought with me. I trapped them a couple of years ago and had them spayed/neutered and got their immunizations. I can only pet 2 of them, the others don't run from me anymore but they don't let me touch them. I had to use traps to be able to move them here with me. I had already had my cat house built for them so I just kept them in there for a week or so then let them out. They seem to love it here, they all come running when I go out and pop a can of food like they always have.

Now I'm seriously pondering getting a goat. I have the space and have always wanted one.

Walnut Queen, if you like Alaska and the Nature type shows, you will LOVE Alone in the Wilderness. It's on PBS quite a bit, I have it on DVD but I still watch every time its on. Google Dick Proeneke when you have time. The man was incredible. He lived the way I want to live. Amazing man.

• Love 2

I liked the first episode of Animal Storm Squad.  It is so wonderful to see animals reunited with their people after a disaster.

I loved the show.

I think every state in the entire country needs a group of people dedicated to rescuing animals in the event of a disaster.

I am also glad they blurred out the dead horses. Too many shows go for shock value nowadays and show things like that.

I can't even imagine being separated from my dogs in a natural disaster. We are probably going to be under a tornado watch tonight and my carriers are ready like they always are (we have a club house to seek shelter in the event of a tornado).

• Love 1

Good luck Jenkins!

We don't have a lot of natural disasters here in Oregon but in case of fire etc, I have my plans in place for my animals. I'm sure if anything were to actually happen those plans would go out the window as I panicked but the plans are there.

One of my neighbors here owns 3 retired cadaver dogs and she's given me a lot of tips in case of emergency.

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 2

Anyone watch Dr Pol? It was a dog only special. It started off like it was going to be depressing, but ended up being a great, happy endings all around episode.

And I know a vet can't just do work for free, but I just don't know how a vet can turn someone away because they can't afford the treatment. SO nice there are people like that woman who have an account at Dr Pols for people who are low on money.

My own Vet nearly went bankrupt a few years ago because it was just too difficult to say no.  Unfortunately, the costs of doing business today are so high that it doesn't take many freebies or discounts to push a veterinary practice into the red.  He now has a fund that anyone can donate to at any time to help defray the cost for animals in need.  A lot of his clients routinely donate five or ten dollars on every visit.  He has a third party administrate the fund, because he admits he would have difficulty deciding who would or would not be eligible for help.  

Clearly Dr. Pol makes a good living in the vet business, but many vets, despite their years of schooling, are seriously overworked and underpaid.  A friend of mine who lives in another state is married to a vet who doesn't own his own clinic, and they aren't starving by any means, but she makes more money with her four year degree than he does with his Vet degree that took several years of college plus internship, etc.  Fortunately he loves his work and wouldn't consider any other field.

• Love 2

I definitely get that.

I really wish I had an answer for it...

I guess it hits close to home because I lost a dog 5 years ago because we couldn't afford care (I still feel extremely guilty over it). We had just lost our house to foreclosure and had filed bankruptcy, so we had ZERO chance at credit and no one in my family really has money.

I wouldn't even know where to start to address the problem. I just know vet prices are steep. My dog has a chronic back issue (he is a long bodied dog) and a few weeks ago we had to take him in. Two Xrays, some blood work (to make sure he could handle the Tramadol) some Tramadol and another anti inflammatory was almost $500 (that includes the $100 for an after hours visit). We are fortunate that our lives have turned around and we can afford it, but how does the average person?

• Love 2

It's terrible that vet costs are so high that people can't afford to have their pets taken care of. That makes me so sad. I know very few vets that will take payment plans. The vet I use now will but only if they're established patients, I guess she's been taken advantage of in the past.

I have been lucky so far, with all of the pets that I've had over the years I've managed to avoid any major illnesses or injuries (knocking on all of the wood I can find). I've basically just had to deal with regular vet visits and spaying/neutering.

Jenkins, I'm so sorry that you had to make that decision, I can't imagine. I'm sure it wasn't a decision you made lightly and it must have been so hard. So sorry.

Has anyone ever had pet insurance? My friend had it for a year and hated it. She said it was very hard to find a vet who would accept it and the way it worked was she paid the bills and the insurance place was supposed to reimburse her. She went through absolute hell trying to get them to pay for anything. She rode out her year long contract and dropped it.

I was wondering if anybody may have had better luck than she did.

• Love 1

For most people, it makes more financial sense to set aside savings for vet bills than to buy pet insurance -- the easiest way is to establish a dedicated savings account, and put into it what you'd pay as a premium every month.  Consumer Reports did a good write-up on it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I will never forget years ago when my husband's uncle took their family dog who was elderly and sick out to the woods and shot him dead. Dug a hole and threw him in. He didn't believe in any vet or certainly no vet bills.

I asked him how he could do it and he looked at me like I should know why, meaning a dog is an animal and should be treated as such. He didn't believe in giving a dog treats either. He told us that giving treats to our dogs was wrong and a waste of money. The rest of his family just went along to get along. Me, I bitched about that uncle to my poor husband (who agreed with me) all the way home from that visit which was a week after the dirty deed. I didn't even know what happened to Tippy and asked where he was, then I had to hear about the deed.

Vet insurance wasn't around in those days but I can only imagine what he would have said about that.

• Love 2

My DVR is set to record Lucky Dog on CBS every week. I like watching the mostly upbeat show as the dog is ready for its forever home by the end. Not sure I can consistently watch these vet shows. I don't think I could take the sadder cases. One day my mom and I did get sucked into one of the shows when I was visiting, and there was nothing else on. But as soon as one of the animals didn't make it, we couldn't watch anymore.

There used to be a show on Animal Planet called Underdog to Wonderdog. It was similar to Lucky Dog, but different people took on different helping roles. It took place in the NY area. One guy was in charge of the adoption matches and rescuing the animals from the shelters. A woman did obedience training and other necessary training. Another woman groomed the dog. And a man who was a contractor/builder built cool ass dog houses for the dog featured in the episode. They also did other stuff, depending on the dog's needs: medical treatment if needed, getting a doggie wheelchair and doing the training with that for dogs with missing or non-functional limbs, weight loss regimens for overweight dogs, etc. I loved that show, but it was obviously cancelled. So disappointing considering that so much on Animal Planet these days isn't really animal related.

• Love 1

So disappointing considering that so much on Animal Planet these days isn't really animal related.

I said this on an animal forum I post on and the responses made me think I was on another planet. It frustrates me every time I land on AP's channel because it always seems to be a show about tree houses, installing fish tanks and now swimming pools too.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

I can't stand that fish tank building show. The tank building process and the fish selection and stuff would be interesting but that show has so much ridiculous set up fake nonsense that it's just unwatchable for me. The guys are obnoxious and are the worst actors I've seen on reality TV.

I'm also tired of the tree house guy, he's obnoxious as hell too.

What I've never understood is Animal Planet's logo. Why is the N upside down?

• Love 2

I can't stand that fish tank building show. The tank building process and the fish selection and stuff would be interesting but that show has so much ridiculous set up fake nonsense that it's just unwatchable for me. The guys are obnoxious and are the worst actors I've seen on reality TV.

I'm also tired of the tree house guy, he's obnoxious as hell too.

What I've never understood is Animal Planet's logo. Why is the N upside down?

That fish tank building show is terrible. The hosts are as full of themselves as the entitled millionaire clients. I watched a couple of shows and that was enough for me.

Edited by rcc
  • Love 2

I watch these shows with my finger on the FF button, in case anything looks like it's about to go south for any animal - I just can't watch that stuff.

It was nice to see Dr. Oakley back again (I FF['d through the tarred eagle once it started looking bad).

I loved Bandit Patrol.  It is so rewarding seeing injured and orphaned wildlife being rescued, rehabilitated and returned to the wild.

• Love 1

Given that the first thing out of my mouth when someone has an animal story is: "Does this have a happy ending? If not, I don't want to hear it," are there any of these shows where no animals die? It's just too upsetting for me; I still start crying when I think about having to put my beloved 19-year-old cat to sleep four years ago, and the 17-year-old a few years before that. They were my fur kids, as are the two cats I have now. Incidents of animal abuse I've read or heard of get unbearably stuck in my head. (I realize the irony of still being a carnivore!)

• Love 3

Most of these shows would likely not be for you, Scout Finch. A lot of our time is spent crying, both happy and sad. Death happens on all the series I watch except Dog Town.

It happened on Dog Town, too.  Remember all the beautiful wind chimes at Angels Rest?  :-(

ETA: Scout Finch, I am so sorry for your loss.  I, too, still cry over the 5 cats I've lost in recent years.  The pain never leaves you.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 2

It happened on Dog Town, too. Remember all the beautiful wind chimes at Angels Rest?  :-(

Oh, lord. Now that you mention it! I am mis-remembering because there was also one episode recently where

one of the older dogs was moved to the laundry room for special attention and care before dying.

• Love 2

I have to stay away from most of these shows, too, as I tend to get too sad and angry.  One consistent exception is Pit Bulls & Parolees, since each episode includes an adoption, so I know I'm guaranteed at least one happy ending out of the stories told.  Everything else I watch sporadically, depending on whether I think I'm up for the potential negative emotions.

• Love 2

Scout Finch, I ask the same questions. I've gotten to the point where I just can't watch most of the animal shows anymore because I get too emotional. It seems like so many of the animal shows have to show animals being hurt or dying. I'll be sitting and watching a beautiful deer on a show, next thing I know something is chasing and killing it. I can't take it anymore.

All of my pets with the exception of 1 cat are all rescues and most were abused in their pasts. I've seen the horror first hand, I can't watch it on TV anymore.

I made the HUGE mistake of reading Marley and Me, I came across the movie on TV one night and couldn't change the channel fast enough, no way in hell was I going to watch it.

The only show I know for sure will have happy stories and happy endings is Too Cute but I don't think there have been any new episodes of that show for a long time.

I've never seen Lucky Dog, I'll have to look for it.

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 3