Type keyword(s) to search

Master Of None - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Always enjoy it whenever we see Dev with his parents.  While Aziz's real life parents still might be the strongest actors from a technical standpoint, I just find them charming here and they way they interact with themselves and Aziz just feels completely natural.  I can imagine them having similar conversations in real life to the ones they had on screen.

This episode definitely hit close to home, with how religion was like in my family and the direction I went with it.  My parents grew up with different faiths (mom was Christian, dad was Hindu), but my dad was never big into the Hindu religion, so we ended up going to church with mom.  Wasn't too crazy, but we went to Church every Sunday, did the special events for Christmas and whatnot, and did mission trips with my youth group (where I actually did learn a lot, so even now, I'm glad I did that.)  But once I went to college, I realize that it was not for me, and while I think it did hurt my mom a little when I finally confessed it, she was understanding (again, I'm sure it help that she already married to someone who wasn't Christian.)  My sister is a bit more religious, but even then I don't think she goes to Church every Sunday, but just whenever she has time.  Thankfully, my parents never made me have to pretend around other, more religious relatives (both on the Christian and Hindu front.)

Denise!

Dev "corrupting" Navid with all of those pork dishes was hilarious.

Great episode.

Ah, online dating!  I thought they perfectly captured the awkwardness and unpredictability of it in hilarious fashion.  I love how we caught glimpses of all the various women Dev went on a date with, and how they had their own quirks and even flaws, but no one really came off like caricatures.  They all felt like human beings, even if their screen time wasn't that much.  I did have fun trying to predict which one would go best.  Overall, I felt like Dev clicked best with Diana (who was in "Ladies and Gentleman" last season) and Priya (the Indian lawyer who I totally didn't know was "Real Eleanor" from The Good Place until now!), but the former wasn't feeling it, and I suspect the latter might still have feelings for that war journalist they stumbled upon, so I suspect Dev won't be finding true love any time soon.

Dev seeing the racist condom jar, but still having sex totally reminded me of The Lonely Island's "I Just Had Sex!" song, with the lyric "I think she might have been a racist.  Doesn't matter, HAD SEX!!!"

Noticed Eric Wareheim (Arnold) directed this one.  That's pretty cool.

Ouch, Dev's second date with Priya was a bust.  I guess once they got past the new car smell of their first date, they realized they didn't have much in common.  It's pretty bad when small talk consists of water!

Of course, it's pretty obvious that they're probably going there with Dev and Francesca, as he is clearly smitten for her (can't blame him!), and I suspect she has similar feelings too.  Granted, there is a shit ton of complications here with her current boyfriend and the long distance aspect, but I suspect it will happen.

Bobby Cannavale was way more bearable here compared to when I last saw him (Vinyl), but I get the sense Jeff is suppose to be a bit of a jackass.  One of those characters who says jerkish things under the guise of "Just kidding, bro!"  He was lucky that John Legend was the guest of honor, since he's seems pretty chill. Had it been his co-winner, Common, we might have got a continuation of Common's time in John Wick 2.

Glad they brought Ravi back!

Probably going to have nightmares of those Jabbawockeez.  Dev's reactions were the best.

Aziz Ansari killed the final scene, but it did go on a bit too long.  But, hey, I'm sure that helped him get another Emmy nod this year, so more power to him.

• Love 1

Well, this is definitely an episode that was tailored made for Netflix.  I can just imagine someone trying to pitch something like this in a regular network sitcom.

Took a while getting use to, but it was a fun diversion.  I enjoyed the three stories and seeing the different aspects of New York.  By the end of each segment, I was totally invested in the outcome of all three of the characters, which says something.  My favorite was probably the deaf cashier.  The idea of not having any sound of any kind was fantastic, and I liked seeing how it must feel when they have to interact with someone who doesn't know sign language.  It was almost fun trying to figure out what they were actually saying, and at least getting the basic gist of it (I'm guessing the customer was trying to hit on her?)

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing that I totally knew that Andy Samberg doing his Nicolas Cage impression for that film.  Which I would totally be first in line to see.  A horror movie with Cage, Emma Watson, and Tyrese Gibson?!  I wonder how they decided on that line-up, because it is so random that I can almost see Aziz and Alan Yang just putting a whole bunch of celebrity names in a hat, and just picking out three.

And now I'm going to have that dumb Six Flags song stuck in my head... 

Glad to see more of Brian and his dad/Peter, even though I figured it was going to end with it blowing up in his face.  He just couldn't bring himself to break up with either one of them, so they both broke up with him instead.  At least it led him to buying a dog, so hopefully he'll find some form of companionship that way.

While I certainly get why Dev doesn't want to be stuck doing Clash of the Cupcakes for several years, I also was wondering why didn't he try to negotiate for a shorter contract, instead of just turning the entire thing down.  But whatever, he pitches and idea where he and Jeff travel around the country and try new food, and Jeff seems down with it for now.  Still not sure about him, since I feel like he's someone who can easily change his mind.

I feel like such a kid for laughing at the entire "toothbrush up the ass" scene with Dev and his dad, but the entire thing was just so hilarious.

Cedric the Entertainer was decent as the failed magician.

Hmm.. Francesca got engaged?  Did not predict that.  I'm still thinking something is going to happen with her and Dev.

Definitely my favorite episode of the season so far (we'll see how the other two fair.)  I loved getting more insight into Dev and Denise's friendship when they were kids (gold star to all of the child/younger actors), and seeing Denise's family.  No surprise, Angela Bassett was perfection as Catherine and nailed every single scene.  In particular, her reaction to Denise coming out was hard to watch, but felt very real on a lot of levels.  But Kym Whitley and Venida Evans were equally fantastic in their roles as well.  They really felt like an actual family and I could almost watch a series just on them.

I did like that this episode allowed Dev/Aziz to be more of the comedic relief in this one.  Him yelling what was going on to Denise's grandma was great and everything involving Vapid Nikki was perfection.  Especially the whole scene where he kept making her say "nipplesandtoes" at the dinner table, and acting like he was generally confused.

And, of course, I enjoyed all the scenes in the 90s just to see glimpses of all the fashions and trends back then like the Nintendo 64 and Denise's wall filled with pictures of Rachel from Friends and Hilary from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Took a while getting use to, but it was a fun diversion.  I enjoyed the three stories and seeing the different aspects of New York.  By the end of each segment, I was totally invested in the outcome of all three of the characters, which says something.  My favorite was probably the deaf cashier.  The idea of not having any sound of any kind was fantastic, and I liked seeing how it must feel when they have to interact with someone who doesn't know sign language.  It was almost fun trying to figure out what they were actually saying, and at least getting the basic gist of it (I'm guessing the customer was trying to hit on her?)

My only real question is,  if you only have a 10 episode season why do you need a diversion?

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Because it's way more fun and interesting than the cliche of his romantic BS with the woman from Italy?

It is more fun and interesting than a lot of stuff on this show, but so would an episode about aliens invading NYC and super heroes stopping them. But neither are this show.

That said i would totally watch a show about immigrant cab drivers sharing a small apartment.

This might have been the best looking episode yet.  The cinematography and directing was gorgeous.

So, both Dev and Francesca finally admit they do have feelings for one another.  Not sure what to think right now.  I feel for both of them, but they both did things that made me side-eye them a bit.  Wherever he wants to admit to it or not, Dev has been pursuing a relationship with someone he knows is engaged with another, and there is something a bit slimy about him doing things like going to Pino's birthday part and trying to get a "feel on the relationship" between Pino and Francesca.  At the same time, Francesca knows that she isn't trapped and there are several options her.  She can take a risk with Dev.  She can remain with Pino.  Or she can choose Door 3 and both break up with Pino and not be with Dev (that's what I'm suspecting is going to happen)  But she owes it to herself and Pino (even if he has a bizarre obsession with tiles) to make this decision and stop harming the relationship which is currently happening now.  But I do understand that a lot of it is because she's been sheltered in some aspects and now she is starting to explore the world and realize there is more out there then Pino, her hometown, and working as her Nan's restaurant.

That said, while Francesca isn't the best written character out there (Alessandra Mastronardi is the main reason I like the character), I don't think Dev's attraction is just because of her looks, and she's some shallow character.  I think they have established that she has the same time of personality and humor that Dev has, and she has quirks and interests (art, wine, etc.), that Dev probably finds attractive about her as well.  I think there is more to it then Dev just thinks she's hot. Maybe the writing hasn't been as strong as it could have been, but I can buy why Dev is head over heels for her.

Off to watch the finale now!

• Love 1

Well, that was a weird ending.  At first, I thought it was suppose to show that everything after the sleepover in episode nine was a bizarre dream, but seeing all the pictures that show they are clearly wearing different clothes and she no longer has the ring now makes me think it is a flash-forward and they are making a go of it after all.  Either that, or it's another fantasy.  Who knows at this point?

Wasn't surprised that Jeff turned out to be a sexual harassing creep, since Bobby Cannavale always tends to play some version of a shady person.  And I figured Lisa would be involved since he mentioned how hot she was before and she was played by someone moderately well-known (Ilfenesha Hadera), so I had to figure there would be more to the character.  So, I guess the question is will Dev being able to survive this blowout, especially after he completely bumbled addressing while he was getting grilled by Raven.

Nice seeing Rachel again and she seems to be doing well.  And Benjamin!  Glad they brought him back for a few scenes!  It's always great whenever H. Jon Benjamin appears in something in person!

Overall, found this season to be a bit below the first one.  It didn't feel as tight compared to the first one and it didn't use their supporting cast as well.  But still had some brilliant moments and episodes (Thanksgiving), so I'm glad Netflix is letting Aziz Ansari do his thing, and I'm curious to see where he take it next (assuming there is a third season.)  

• Love 1
On 6/20/2017 at 11:36 AM, PokerNerd said:

The actress that played the Indian woman Priya was just pops off the screen. I recognized her as the good Eleanor on the Good Place, where she is also terrific. So much charisma. And it looks like she gets at least one more episode. I think she and Dev will be interesting together if the hot war photographer doesn't snatch her away.

The war photographer approached him while he was on a date with Sona, not Priya. We only saw Sona's date briefly in the montage where the women talked about the messages they got from men and she said she got fetishy Indian stuff. But it was a throwaway line, not the whole conversation about it, which was with "other Eleanor" (Priya), a completely different Indian woman. 

They featured a love interest for big part of both seasons.

At this point in Dev's life, it's realistic for him to be open to being swept up.

Maybe the creators believed this or maybe Netflix wanted the boy meets girl element in the show.

Francesa was looking for every chance to spend time with Dev.  Was it something about Dev which drew her to him or was it something lacking in her relationship which made her look elsewhere?

Regardless, she was "lukewarm" about Pino so she had to break it off.  I thought maybe Pino knew she was just hanging out with Dev when he was busy but now it seems she was sneaking around behind Pino's back with an "emotional friend."

End of first season, there really weren't hints that Dev and Sarah wouldn't last.

End of this second season, there are doubts that Dev and Francesca will last.

Maybe they'll surprise or upset expectations and make them last in season 3 or maybe they'll have it play out like the way it seems to be headed, which is that while she wasn't ready to marry Pino, she may not really want to jump into something serious with Dev immediately after breaking off a long relationship.

Modena is known for balsamic vinegar and the Ferrari factory, not marble.  Carrara is another part of the country, a different province.  Pino should have been selling gourmet balsamic or setting up Ferrari dealerships.

Edited by scrb
6 hours ago, scrb said:

Modena is known for balsamic vinegar and the Ferrari factory, not marble.  Carrara is another part of the country, a different province.  Pino should have been selling gourmet balsamic or setting up Ferrari dealerships.

Pino was in tiles which are typically porcelin so it has nothing to do with Carrara and there are tile factories in many parts of Italy including Modena.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought Aziz deliberately gave her the moment.

He made several attempts at the mike when he thought she was finished but she kept giving her great speach the last attempt was when he went to the mike and the band started playing before he got there. Last year it seemed much more the plan with Alan but he didn't speak than either.

Last year, he didn't speak because he and Alan thought that they would be more likely to cut Alan off than Aziz, so they thought that way they'd both get to talk.  Their strategy failed. :) Maybe if they make a third season the poor guy will finally get to speak. 

I love the episode Thanksgiving but i am not sure it is my favorite episode, on the other hand i discovered the song Pass the Dutchie from Musical youth (i think i heard it before but i did not know the name/title) thanks to it and i am in love with it !!!

I liked this season better than season 1.  Like others have posted, I would've liked to have seen more of Dev with his friends.  The Big Bud and Little Bud moments throughout the season were really, really enjoyable.  I thought the actor who played Chef Jeff did an outstanding job.  If I were reading a book with a "creeper" in it I would've put it down, but the actor brought interest and complexity to it.  Agree with everyone else that there was too much Francesca.

I just watched both series over the last couple of weeks and the whole Chef Jeff story seems bizarrely prescient when watched after October 2017. Here in the present everyone is not just angry with the harassers and abusers but it feels like we also have no truck with the Tarantinos, Clooneys, Afflecks and Damons of the world who turned a blind eye to what they had to know was going on. It seems to me that if Ansari felt he didn't have much more story to tell about Dev's romantic life, that there is a whole wealth of story about the fallout from the Chef Jeff scandal.

(Also a bit weird that at present, Bourdain, is on the exact opposite side of the story as Chef Jeff due to his girlfriend being an alleged victim.)

On 11/6/2017 at 3:40 PM, AllyB said:

I just watched both series over the last couple of weeks and the whole Chef Jeff story seems bizarrely prescient when watched after October 2017. Here in the present everyone is not just angry with the harassers and abusers but it feels like we also have no truck with the Tarantinos, Clooneys, Afflecks and Damons of the world who turned a blind eye to what they had to know was going on. It seems to me that if Ansari felt he didn't have much more story to tell about Dev's romantic life, that there is a whole wealth of story about the fallout from the Chef Jeff scandal.

(Also a bit weird that at present, Bourdain, is on the exact opposite side of the story as Chef Jeff due to his girlfriend being an alleged victim.)

We'll see if he does that now that Louis CK is being taken down. They worked together and have the same management. He was even asked about some of the accusations against Louis CK a couple years ago and he declined to talk about it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/louis-cks-powerful-army-of-celebrity-enablers

I watched both seasons. I understand why “Thanksgiving” won a much deserved Emmy. On the entirety I enjoyed Season 1 better than Season 2, it was more linear and cohesive. I don’t see this great romance with Francesca, I would’ve liked more time on Dev’s dates from his apps than her. 

I don't watch TV as if I'm at an art museum gazing at works by old masters, fascinated by the brush strokes. 

Yeah, me neither. I for one hated "New York I Love You." I can see how awesomely creative it was but I  get invested in a show because of a certain story and/or characters, and that episode completely went off on a tangent about people I couldn't have cared less about. I also have no particular love for NYC either so nothing about it worked for me.

I weigh in on season 1 being superior to season 2, overall. It had a nicer blend of comedy and drama than this one.

• Love 1

I love that he won! Aziz Ansari won the 2018 Golden Globe for Best Actor in a TV series, Musical or Comedy. the first Asian-American to do so in Globes history. It's 2018 and I can't believe there are still so many firsts to be had. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, msani19 said:

I love that he won! Aziz Ansari won the 2018 Golden Globe for Best Actor in a TV series, Musical or Comedy. the first Asian-American to do so in Globes history. It's 2018 and I can't believe there are still so many firsts to be had. 

And he's one of only a handful of Asian actors who have won Golden Globes (in any category). According to an article I saw online, the only other actors/actresses of Asian descent who have won Golden Globe Awards (keep in mind, over the entire 75 year history of the GG's existence):

1980 & 1981 - Vic Tayback (Syrian) won best supporting actor in a television series for Alice
1983 - Ben Kingsley (half Indian) won best lead actor in a motion picture for Gandhi
1984 - Haing S. Ngor (Cambodian) won best supporting actor in a motion picture for The Killing Fields
1986 - Meg Tilly (half Cantonese) won best supporting actress in a motion picture for Agnes of God
2006 - Sandra Oh (Korean) won best supporting actress in a television series for Grey's Anatomy

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

A bit late to the party, I'm  watching season 2 now. This episode made me really dislike Francesca. She's written like a manic pixie dream girl. Ooohing over tiny vaselines and seemingly oblivious to her own and others peoples feelings. It's like she's trying to live out this fantasy with Dev, about moving from her home town and dating someone else than her first love, but never admiting even to herself that's what she's doing. I don't buy that anyone could be that infantile in their emotional intelligence. The other alternative is that she's aware and then she's just being cruel.

On 2017-06-02 at 5:41 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have to admit I can totally relate to Dev in this situation.  But couldn't they make the female character a little better?  Of course she's good-looking but it always makes me roll my eyes when a man is so crazy in love with a character like this and I'm never really shown why.  He SAYS they make each other really happy but I'm not exactly seeing it.  Their interactions are all superficial.  They're basically each other's tour guides.  And she plays with his emotions.

I agree. I think she's badly written quite simply.

• Love 3