Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Am I for real the only one who thinks she'll lose ala Oliver in The Calm? That set off his whole "Oliver Queen vs. Arrow" dilemma. This is gonna set off her "Am I me or am I my sister" dilemma. We all know the answer, of course, but I'm of the firm belief Hallucination!Sara's kicking that ass. And then Laurel will realize she needs more training and she'll go off to Nyssa or some similar kind of mess.

See, as fast as they are going with this storyline, I was thinking that this would be the conclusion to the "Am I me or am I my sister" question, with Laurel finally embracing her true destiny as Black Canary (blech).  I keep thinking about that tweet talking about the writers touching on every part of a superhero's journey.  But, you could very possibly be right that Laurel loses.  I don't really know, but it would be more fun for me to see her lose.

See, as fast as they are going with this storyline, I was thinking that this would be the conclusion to the "Am I me or am I my sister" question, with Laurel finally embracing her true destiny as Black Canary (blech). I keep thinking about that tweet talking about the writers touching on every part of a superhero's journey. But, you could very possibly be right that Laurel loses. I don't really know, but it would be more fun for me to see her lose.

I was feeling not so grim at the prospect that regardless of what the outcome with Vertigo was (since Oliver bested him as himself instead of a hallucination) we might at least have a scene where Hallucination!Sara wins. I had forgotten about that tweet and now I feel grim again, haha.

I assume she'll fight Count Vertigo like Oliver did, and get her ass kicked like Oliver did. And I think the result of confronting her fear (which since she fights Sara as Canary instead of Sara as Sara is probably that she won't be as good a fighter or vigilante as Sara, which DING DING DING correct) will be for her to give up being BC (highly, highly unlikely) or double-down on her training with Nyssa or someone else who does more than box.

Am I for real the only one who thinks she'll lose ala Oliver in The Calm? That set off his whole "Oliver Queen vs. Arrow" dilemma. This is gonna set off her "Am I me or am I my sister" dilemma. We all know the answer, of course, but I'm of the firm belief Hallucination!Sara's kicking that ass. And then Laurel will realize she needs more training and she'll go off to Nyssa or some similar kind of mess.

If I'm being really pessimistic and following the pattern of making everything fit around Laurel this season, then yes, I think she'll win because it's dumb and makes no sense, pretty much like her being BC after 10 episodes. But if I think about it logically and how this is only episode 13 in the season, I agree with you. I think Laurel will likely lose and it will either stop her wearing the BC outfit while she gets some more training or she'll stop wearing it 'permanently' until something happens that will make her realize how much she misses it and how it helped the fire within her and 'this is what she's always meant to be doing blah blah blah.' 

But then I remember logic doesn't work on this show anymore and I wouldn't be surprised if Laurel wins and hallucinates Sara's blessing and she'll be the best BC to ever BC!

I just can't wrap my head around any of it tbh. This Canary vs BC fight feels like it should be a season finale type thing where it parallels the season opener but it's a culmination of Laurel's journey instead of Oliver's. That would make more sense to me. I thought it would be better to end the season with her putting on the suit rather than whoever's dumb idea it was to do it in episode 10. Still not over it. Never will be. Waaaaay too soon.

Maybe all of this arc for Laurel is to set her up for a spinoff of her own. Maybe that's why Cassidy has been kind of smug about the whole thing and why there is no legitimate basis for her Canaryism.  Maybe all the talk of the Atom spinoff is really going to be a package deal that sends Laurel off with Ray. If that happens I won't care how idiotic it is if it gets her off Arrow.  Because then I don't have to watch Atom and Laurel and the Laurel as BC crowd will be even more happy that she'll have her own show.  

• Love 9

If I had to guess, I'd say that @apinknightmare is right, and Laurel will lose, and get shaken up and realize she needs more training. I don't think she'll quit for good; I expect her to have a big heroic moment in the finale at least, and I would guess that's where she fully commits to this and leaves for the summer to train somewhere. I just think the fact that SA said he still hadn't worked with KC in costume means that she's probably not in costume after 313. Even with Oliver not approving of her doing this, I think they would have them cross paths if she were still suiting up. And I haven't seen any pics from 314-316 to prove otherwise yet, so I'm clinging to this idea for as long as possible.

• Love 1

Didn't SA say that he hasn't worked with BC yet? 

I think maybe Oliver accepts BC but doesn't want to work with her so she goes off and does her own thing. That way they establish she is a hero outside of Arrow. And then everyone comes together for the big season finale.

Maybe all of this arc for Laurel is to set her up for a spinoff of her own. Maybe that's why Cassidy has been kind of smug about the whole thing and why there is no legitimate basis for her Canaryism.  Maybe all the talk of the Atom spinoff is really going to be a package deal that sends Laurel off with Ray. If that happens I won't care how idiotic it is if it gets her off Arrow.  Because then I don't have to watch Atom and Laurel and the Laurel as BC crowd will be even more happy that she'll have her own show.  

I would watch they hell out of a Black Canary/Atom show if that would keep them off Arrow. 

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 3

I do wonder what's going to happen with Laurel when she's firmly established as BC though because everyone goes on about how it's important she's her own hero away from Oliver without his help because comics. But then if she just goes off on her own, isn't that separating her from the rest of the cast, which was one of the problems with her character in the first place? I personally think she'll be a member of the team just like Sara was in s2. I honestly don't know how it would work otherwise. Would she get her own secret lair? Her own team? Can't see it tbh.

I feel like if they announce Helena is coming back, then the Birds of Prey spinoff is not completely off the table. But they might be stalling to see how other female superhero properties go before they decide -- ie looking at ratings for Agent Carter, and buzz for Supergirl.

But didn't SA say that at the crossover streaming? It's been a while, since then they could very well have had scenes together with her in the suit. Or did he said it again at the TCAs?

Edited by looptab

Yeah, I was wondering what they'll do with Laurel as well, because they seem to try to keep her away from Oliver a lot of the time.  I mean, they said that it would be much easier to write for her now that she's in on the secret, but she's still been separated off with Ted & Quentin a lot of the time.  And with Roy bringing her into the team and fighting alongside her next week, I kind of view her as a sidekick at best.  So I just can't imagine her teaming up with Arrow, the two of them fighting next to each other, trading weapons mid-fight, and taking down bad guys.  Maybe they're going to continue to keep Laurel separated and have her go on little missions all by herself.  None of it makes sense to me.   

Teaming her up with Roy is actually a pretty good idea because Roy isn't that good. They gave her a learning curve. If it was Diggle, it would highlight how awful she is. At least it should. 

MG said that Laurel would continue training throughout the season. With Ted Grant gone, I'm wondering who she is training with. I still think Oliver wouldn't work at all for a number of very good reasons. I can't see Diggle taking the time to do it. I would find it really amusing if its with Roy. What they might do is make it all three. Split hairs with it. They aren't training her! She is training with them! Or they could send her off with Nyssa for a few episodes. 

• Love 1

But didn't SA say that at the crossover streaming? It's been a while, since then they could very well have had scenes together with her in the suit. Or did he said it again at the TCAs?

He said it at the TCAs. And I think Laurel will be still going out and fighting crime or whatever, she just won't be doing it with Oliver (yet). Unless she does unbuckle for a few eps.

• Love 1

The problem is that the EPs made the first BC the younger sister of the second BC.  If the first BC had been Laurel's mother, who was then murdered, then it would've been more understandable that the daughter would want to live up to her mother's heroic legacy but would have insecurities as to whether she ever could (the inferiority complex).

Regarding the "epic" Canaries fight - I think Laurel's biggest fear with respect to Sara is that her BC will never be as good as Sara's C.  So I think they'll fight to a draw, thus proving that Laurel is as good as Sara.  Two possible scenarios:

• It'll start with Sara beating Laurel's ass in the fight, with Laurel feeling discouraged.  Then she'll dredge up some inner strength from deep inside, put on the angry face, and really fight back.  They fight to a draw, and Sara disappears. 

or

• Laurel will be on the ground and Sara tells her to get up (paralleling Tommy telling Oliver to get up - "get up, Neo").   Laurel cries, "I can't - I'll never be as good as you!"  Then Sara shows Laurel a vision of future Laurel as the BC fighting really well.  Then Sara and future Laurel engage in a fight where Laurel holds her own, and they fight to a draw.  Sara smiles and disappears.  That way, the EPs are telling fans that Laurel will one day be the awesome BC of the comics.

Whatever the scenario, this is Laurel's hallucination - so it'll be Laurel's version of Sara and Laurel's twisted subconscious that comes up with this fight.  The EPs' goal for this episode?  Laurel will have a renewed sense of confidence that if she keeps training, she'll one day be as good as Sara.  Then she'll probably bring down Vertigo (somehow) and earn Oliver's respect (somehow).  Then Oliver offers to train her, but Laurel says, "no thanks, I got this - I'm going to train with Nyssa (nyah, nyah, nyah)."

• Love 1

I think that's the woman they introduced in The Flash Zero "Smoak Signals" as Felicity's "nemesis." She was revealed at the end to be behind the Iron Man-like robots who went after Felicity. I'm very excited! But, again, why is the exciting stuff about my favorite characters happening on The Flash?!?!

• Love 12

Cause GB and AK are better writers than MG?

I'm hoping Oliver has a sexy dream about Felicity but it probably will be a nightmare. Just don't have her be killed in his nightmare MG that's too much for me!

I really really want the sexy times to be Olicity but knowing these writers it will probably be Raylicity which would make me ragey lol

I couldn't tell if they were talking about Felicity herself, with the "oversized shades and red lipstick" or the villain.  Not the best worded spoiler.

Why wouldn't they just try to sell it as her not thinking she'll ever be as good a fighter/vigilante as Sara? It's a legit fear, because she won't, and it fits with her "dilemma" for this season.

Because they never do the legit emotional beats with Laurel.  I don't know why, if it's because they want to rush BC or if it's because of the way KC plays Laurel, but they miss every time:  after Tommy died, after her realization she had helped to cause his death; after her addiction arc, after Sara's death when she went all vengeance is mine!  and boxing lessons instead of doing it like a lawyer and actually looking for Sara's killer.. 

If she gets beat by the hallucination, she'll contact Nyssa and get her to come to Starling City and train her, because she can't time take away from her job to go to Nanda Parbat, she's too important.

Right now, I'm resenting that Laurel, after 4 months of training, gets the epic Me vs Me battle that it took Oliver 7 years to earn.

Also, I'm kinda annoyed that Oliver's return to the team is gonna be overshadowed by all this BC stuff. He freaking died FFS and it's like 'yeah, whatevs, chill bro, we've got BC now.' NO. Obviously this is me speculating because I have no idea how it's going to play out but I don't know. His whole death feels so anticlimactic now which is sad because when he 'died' and had that flashback to all the people he loved the most, it was really moving and emotional and now it's like, 'well that's over with, never mind!' IT'S HIS SHOW. HIS STORY. Grrrrr.

That's always been one of the problems with Laurel, that if they show her journey, it overshadows The Arrow part and it cheapens it.  That's another reason why Sara was so right, as the Canary she came on the show already having done her journey to become a superhero.

I would watch they hell out of a Black Canary/Atom show if that would keep them off Arrow. 

I wouldn't watch it, but I think it would be the best solution to a number of problems Arrow is having, especially the "What do we do about a problem like Laurel?"

• Love 2

Considering that even in the media (after 2.5 seasons), Laurel is still not that well liked. I can't see the CW throwing money behind a show with Laurel in it. 

They could've maybe had a chance with CL and JDG, if they found a good actress to play Babs. Sara and Helena could've helped each other out of their darkness and if there was problems Oracle would be able to reign them in. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

He said it at the TCAs. And I think Laurel will be still going out and fighting crime or whatever, she just won't be doing it with Oliver (yet). Unless she does unbuckle for a few eps.

Oh, ok. I skipped a lot of those interviews to avoid getting frustrated lol. Thank you :)

I think that's the woman they introduced in The Flash Zero "Smoak Signals" as Felicity's "nemesis." She was revealed at the end to be behind the Iron Man-like robots who went after Felicity. I'm very excited! But, again, why is the exciting stuff about my favorite characters happening on The Flash?!?!

Praying they get Allison Mack so I can see Chloe and Felicity on screen together. I'll be glad to see Felicity on The Flash again, but, like...it's bad enough that Ray is on Arrow without sticking him in Central City for a while too.

• Love 4

I think so too.  IIRC, both AK & MG wrote that storyline for the comic.  I wonder if Felicity is hurt which leads to the Mama Smoak scenes in 3.18?  That said, I wish it was all happening on Arrow.

Praying they get Allison Mack so I can see Chloe and Felicity on screen together. I'll be glad to see Felicity on The Flash again, but, like...it's bad enough that Ray is on Arrow without sticking him in Central City for a while too.

Chloe was my Girl on Smallville I'd love to see her be Felicity's Nemesis!!

Haha.  That producer's preview starts off with MG saying "If you're a Laurel Lance/Black Canary fan."  Nope, nope, nope.  Can't do it.  Looks terrible.

I'm watching to see what Oliver dreams about, to see Roy and Digggle lay some verbal smackdown on Laurel and to see Felicity any way I can see though it involves Creepy eyes UGH

Haha.  That producer's preview starts off with MG saying "If you're a Laurel Lance/Black Canary fan."  Nope, nope, nope.  Can't do it.  Looks terrible.

I wanna yell in his face. I'M A BLACK CANARY FAN AND I WANT LAUREL TO NEVER BE BLACK CANARY EVER. And then I want comic book Dinah to punch him in his face for bringing disgrace to her name.

• Love 10

The Flash spoiler about a woman making robot bees. Could Felicity's nemesis be the head of H.I.V.E because ... robot bees? Or am I thinking to literally? 

It would be so good to have Felicity and Diggle teaming up to take out the organization that is trying to kill Felicity and got Digg's brother killed. I'm afraid to get my hopes up.

Edited by Orion
  • Love 6

She won't lose. she'll  absorb her sister's fighting skills whilst fighting her in the Vertigo hallucination.  You watch.

It's gonna happen.

I think there will be multiple fights, but she'll eventually win the last one. And there will likely be some type of magical transfer as she gains Sara's approval. It is in her mind afterall, sorta has to go her way at some point. Although, I do see her still leaving SC at one point to get more training esp. when she finds out about Malcolm. I think she'll be the one that spills the truth to LoA, thereby drawing them back to SC & perhaps even promising some type of allegiance.

I also think Sara will tell her in the hallucination to "Tell our father" which will be the final step on her journey to super hero. Which I would truly enjoy, since I think it is atrocious that nobody has told him yet. The man is stronger than we think. Unless of course they plan of phasing his character out of the show, which would be an absolute loss to the show. I truly hope they do not lose any major characters anymore this season.

I'd love to have Allison Mack on the show (I miss her!!) and EBR is really the only one of this lot of women who can maybe go toe to toe with her, but I'm not sure I wish a villain's role for her. Too many of my heroes have died already.

She wouldn't have to die she would be Felicity's Nemesis she could pop up again later

Whatever's in that preview has some people on Spoiler TV all fired up about how Roy and Diggle are talking to her. What do they say?

One commenter says that Roy and Diggle are the voice of the fandom.

• Love 1

Uh..that scene with Katie and Colton actually looked...good. Katie looked really pretty, I think they MIGHT have..chemistry? Holy shit LaRoy let's make it  happen!

lol. I'll find it hilarious if it does lmao. 

One commenter says that Roy and Diggle are the voice of the fandom.

In this regard they are (well, 80% of the fandom, give or take). But the story will probably introduce the problem - Laurel inept in her fighting, - confront the problem with fandom reaction - no training, she is not her sister, - and conclude that it doesn't matter, because Laurel has a big heart.

She'll save Roy's life, she'll convince Diggle and the boys will welcome her to the team.

"See, fandom? We addressed your fears and came to the conclusion they are ungrounded. Yes, we know she's untrained. Yes, we know she's mimicing her sister - wait for 3.13!"

At least when Supernatural mocks its fans, it's funny. Sort of.

• Love 11

Right now, I'm resenting that Laurel, after 4 months of training, gets the epic Me vs Me battle that it took Oliver 7 years to earn.

Actually, I would've loved to have seen an all out, no holds barred fight between Sara's Black Canary - er, Canary - and Oliver's Arrow (perhaps both of them brainwashed or tricked into thinking the other was the enemy), just to see who would win.  Now that would be an epic fight.

• Love 6

See that epic fight spoiler? They shoot three arrows into Sara, drop her in the trash, literally fridge her, have everyone talk about how MM manipulated Thea and nothing about Thea killing Sara. Now they're going to have Laurel have an epic fight with her, when Sara would just destroy her if it wasn't hallucinated. Why do they hate Sara so?

• Love 3

In this regard they are (well, 80% of the fandom, give or take). But the story will probably introduce the problem - Laurel inept in her fighting, - confront the problem with fandom reaction - no training, she is not her sister, - and conclude that it doesn't matter, because Laurel has a big heart.

She'll save Roy's life, she'll convince Diggle and the boys will welcome her to the team.

"See, fandom? We addressed your fears and came to the conclusion they are ungrounded. Yes, we know she's untrained. Yes, we know she's mimicing her sister - wait for 3.13!"

At least when Supernatural mocks its fans, it's funny. Sort of.

THIS. All of what you're saying, is what I think will happen. It's like they had some intern scout the internets, and come up with a list of things fandom complains about wrt Laurel the most. And now they'll tackle each one of the items, probably once or twice each, and then it's been dealt with because it was in text.

Which is kind of a huge ass problem, isn't it? When you're writing a character to address problems people have with your previous writing?

I really do wonder if someone at the network told them Laurel hate is equally profitable to Laurel love, so as long as people are dissing her online, there's money in the bank.

• Love 7

Sorry @manbearpig I'm really hoping that they move Ray to Central City permanently next season, Ray and his Ray-ness don't fit Arrow and I think they can launch a spin-off for him better from The Flash. Also won't they need new funding once they realise that Harrison is evil.

While it is nice that Felicity is getting another nemesis, (I want to see A-Mack too but not at a baddie so not as Felicity's nemesis) it's so frustrating it is on the Flash and with Ray....Grr!! Also I hope she isn't injured too badly, but if Mama Smaok is in hospital scenes in 3.18

Even though MG says Felicity will be in 3.17, I wonder if it is a 3.04 situation again. 

3B seems like one hard slog for me without the benefit of an awesome 2A....(although if Roy does have Chemistry with Laurel that will be hilarious I would totally ship Rourel/Loy/Arse-Canary)

I love how he just puts is out there -- If you're a Laurel Lance/Black Canary fan, you'll be insanely happy. If not, you're SOOL.

If they were really thinking of putting Laurel into a A.T.O.M. spin-off, they would have had her in scenes with Brandon Routh to test the chemistry and set it up but I don't think there's been any yet.  It looks like they're both at some meeting (is Cristina Cox playing the mayor?) along with Lance and Felicity that Brick messes up.  Maybe they'll interact then, unless Laurel rushes out to put on her BC costume, and Ray rushes out to build his.

Brick says what sounds like  "Bring her and the alderman???? and kill all the rest."   Did anyone catch who they were supposed to bring?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

I'm sorry but yet again Felicity is getting a good story on another show. I'm fuming. I know her nemesis was introduced in The Flash comics but it's really not fair to those of us who don't always tune into The Flash but still want Felicity to get her own storyline. I'm getting really pissed off about it actually. This season I've not really felt like she's had her own story. And seriously, must she always be with Ray? Even in s1 and s2 she wasn't attached to Oliver's hip. She had scenes with Diggle and Captain Lance and Sara at times. I'm getting so bored by it. And now she's finally being given something of her own on another damn show. I just don't get it. Do they care about her at all? 

I love how he just puts is out there -- If you're a Laurel Lance/Black Canary fan, you'll love it. If not, you're SOOL.

If they were really thinking of putting Laurel into a A.T.O.M., they would have had her in scenes with Brandon Routh to test the chemistry and set it up but I don't think there's been any yet.  It looks like they're both at some meeting (is Cristina Cox playing the mayor?) that Brick messes up.  Maybe they'll interact then, unless Laurel rushes out to put on her BC costume, and Ray rushes out to build his.

You would think they would test out chemistry... but its been mentioned before that she was cast in the role without screen testing with SA, which I don't understand. You would think you're dropping big $$$ on a show, you might wanna test the 2 main LI together, esp cuz there is comic canon out there. Its not like they were working with all new characters, that if the chemistry flopped you can easily drop the plot and move fwd. Both SA & KC can have their charms & appeals, and I have seen them have chemistry with others, they just don't work when they are trying to have romantic chemistry on screen together. The only time I saw a spark was during their fights, thats not quality chemistry to aim for. So perhaps TPTB don't really care to test her chemistry w/ BR at this point. They've also had to spend a significant time developing the plot & character, so it probably is not high on their agenda. And we have the majority of the season left, to allow them to interact. I do see the potential for some chemistry btwn them as they seem to have similar acting approaches. I did sorta see a spark btwn L & Roy, but not sure if I fully back it, a little too soap operaish. You can't have everyone having romantic entanglements with each other on Team Arrow. It just becomes hard to swallow at times.

Not sure if it was on this forum or another, or in an article I read. But someone had the good idea, that the next spin-off should be a Justice League type spin-off, where it would not revolve just around 1 hero, but encompass a lot so that the story could move where it needs to be. That I believe would be the most sound choice the CW could make. It would allow ATOM & BC to go off, but not have to carry the whole show. Everyone could cross through. Cuz unless they do something big w/ BR & ATOM, I can't see people tuning in for a whole series. I mean I'll follow the show for the crossovers, but not likely stick around for it. I love ARROW & I really want it to get back to being about the ARROW. Team Arrow drew me in and thats why I stick around. Plus Im a sucker for the emotionally damaged hero trying to save the city and become a better person, while having to sacrifice & compromise. Is great for psychoanalyzing & critiquing the human condition. There's emotional heaviness without a lot of cliche, esp w/ SA, EBR & DR's acting nuances that I think are a major draw. So far, KC & BR have not sold me on their stories as much as I do empathize with their struggles. I feel GG's pain, in fact I sorta like him more when he is on Arrow than Flash, because I feel the depth of his character, only time I really see that on Flash is when he interacts w/ JLM. But that is cuz JLM is AMAZING!. Would love to see them interact more with TA, than I want to see TA interact w/ BC or ATOM. Perhaps KC & BR would do better on their own show where their justice is something you can't run from.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1