Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: I Walk Away

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

The pressure on Firehouse 51 is at an all-time high as the internal affairs investigation into the handling of a recent fire picks up steam. Just when it appears that game-changing evidence comes to light that would serve to bail out Chief Boden, new twists emerge that put his head right back on the chopping block. Brett and Chili respond to a routine call and quickly find themselves in a life and death situation to help aid a stabbing victim who is bleeding out. Meanwhile, a stuck elevator summons the house to a high-rise hotel that tests everyone's mettle and candidate Jimmy Borrelli is conflicted when his older brother Danny looks to get him transferred to a different house.

It's aired in Canada so going to spoiler tag this until the morning.

Ugh I really wish the arson case would be over. We know it's all going to work out just fine so all the unnecessary plot twists and turns are just annoying because there's no actual suspense. Same with Gabby's cliffhanger pregnancy scare. She's going to be fine.

Was Rachel Nichols only set to appear for 3 episodes? I hope she's done now as I don't see her and Kelly as lasting no matter how hard they try to sell her on being a special one for him. Her character as a lawyer has me anticipating Chicago Law - the next spinoff though.

I like Jimmy I do although calling him the potential best candidate they've had reminded me of Peter Mills. I can't help but feel that either he or his annoying brother are going to die by the season finale.

Brett really bugged me this episode. Really bugged me. Her obsession with the baby was annoying and while I'm glad it all worked out I just didn't buy the hospital psychiatrist encouraging her meddling in order to get a result. Also, yelling at a gun man is not something one should do in a crisis I imagine. I get that she didn't care if he shot her or whatever that scene was supposed to mean but what about her partner who also could have ended up hurt. Who's the PIC out of both girls?

Just not my favourite episode. The premiere was amazing but the last two episodes I've had moments of loving it but a lot of it i've found predictable which is disappointing because the show can be so much better.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 2

I thought the lawyer worked for the city.  Why was she talking about bringing on clients, and eventually landed the prime suspect?  Speaking of which, who threw Gabby under the bus?  Of course, if you go leaving your confidential case files unsecured on the top of your desk and on your hard drive, shit happens.

Hermann hasn't had a get-rich-quick scheme in three episodes now.  What are we to think?  And where is Pouch?

I thought it would have made much more sense during the elevator rescue for one of the firefighters to go back inside and hold the rail for the husband.  Taking risks is what the FD does; not leaving the citizenry to fend for themselves. 

I foresee further complications between the two brothers. 

• Love 2
I thought it would have made much more sense during the elevator rescue for one of the firefighters to go back inside and hold the rail for the husband.  Taking risks is what the FD does; not leaving the citizenry to fend for themselves.

I agree.  That made no sense at all.  Cool father though...

• Love 3

Boden is so awesome and he rules. I love how he dealt with Brett.

Talking about her, I'm glad it was resolved so fast, and in a good way. She looked relieved that the baby had a parent (far from perfect but seemingly loving) and wasn't lost all alone in the system; so I take that she wasn't obsessing about this kid for herself.

Patterson is such a worm in the apple of 51. Boden, beware !

I like O'Reilly's brother better just because he embarassed Patterson. And he seemed less of an ass than before.

I hope that Dawson won't lose the baby. No more drama. Kid won't be a problem for plots. They'll just have to do like Grey's Anatomy, where Mere has three and you never see them even when someone tears down the walls of the house with a sledgehammer.

Or, they could say that Mouch, Otis and Cruz are babysitting him/her. Considering their airtime lately, the kid won't be much in sight.

Yeah, I was right that I shouldn't get invested in Jamie and Severide. Sigh.

Next week, on Chicago Fire, it's Chicago Med. Sigh.

Edited by Happy Harpy

It should be a miscarriage. No way you're cramping that damn hard, then get put into what looks like surgery and your 3 week old zygote is safe.

Brett didn't look relieved at all, to me. She still seemed disappointed.  I'm petty sure Chili is the PIC, and I'll be very annoyed if there's no write-up on consequence to her fuckery. She could have killed Chili and herself.

I'm happy Gabby lost the files, because she's an idiot. You go after a noted millionaire arsonist and don't think to secure the files first? Keep a copy with you at all times? REALLY?  Rook movie, Princess Gabbi. I'm just sad she's bringing Boden down with her.

• Love 1

This!

And while we're on the topic of common sense, perhaps Boden should call 911 for the in pain pregnant woman, rather than calling her boyfriend first. Or was that just unfortunate editing to Casey answering the phone and we're supposed to believe he got an ambulance first?

Next week's previews looked like last season's The Night Shift, which also involved early pregnancy emergencies (and the termination of the pregnancy) for the unmarried, twu luv leads.

• Love 1

Hermann hasn't had a get-rich-quick scheme in three episodes now.  What are we to think?  And where is Pouch?

He was scratching a bunch of lottery tickets in the truck in this episode. Can't get much more get rich quick than that.

Of course it would have made even more sense to set up some sort of rope/harness system (secured to the safe elevator car) tied to the person trying to cross, so in the event that they did fall, or that the piece of lumber they were using as a bridge broke, they wouldn't fall to their death. 

• Love 1

He was scratching a bunch of lottery tickets in the truck in this episode. Can't get much more get rich quick than that.

Of course it would have made even more sense to set up some sort of rope/harness system (secured to the safe elevator car) tied to the person trying to cross, so in the event that they did fall, or that the piece of lumber they were using as a bridge broke, they wouldn't fall to their death. 

i was very confused they weren't wearing harnesses. And why didn't Kelly do the rescue? Isn't that what Squad does?? maybe because Casey weighs less? Bit seriously, no one has a rope and a carabiner????

• Love 2

Or a wider board? Hubby and I talked about how dumb that was. And calling Casey instead of 911. And Gabby not having protected her files (which hubby thinks were in the female colleague's briefcase). No one looked too bright this episode.

So Gabby is going to solve a serial arsonist case and root out corruption in the arson department? Impressive first week. She is a regular Nancy Drew.

• Love 3

Is PeterMills going to be on Chicago Med?

Ok, this is weird. The woman arson investigator? I couldn't figure out who she reminded me of til now--both in looks and voice. Voice is the big one. Anyway, she sounds like Mrs Landingham from The West Wing.

I'm happy Gabby lost the files, because she's an idiot. You go after a noted millionaire arsonist and don't think to secure the files first? Keep a copy with you at all times? REALLY?  Rook movie, Princess Gabbi. I'm just sad she's bringing Boden down with her.

Someone asked Derek on Twitter if Gabby gets any job repercussions because she went "All Gabby" to Boden about the arson investigation. The answer he gave was NO..naturally..because Princess Gabby can do no wrong...

And her awkward high five with Duffy just shows that she is 100% sure she's doing an awesome job. 

I actually started laughing when Kelly's F**kbuddy of the Month screamed to Kelly's retreating back, " I'll make it up to you, I swear!"

SMH just thinking about it now. She thinks her stuff is so good that Kelly will forgive her betraying his "house".

Girl, I hope that victory at work feels good. It's gonna have to keep you warm at night. 'Cause Kelly's done.

• Love 1

A 64GB flash drive is only about 20 bucks now.  Dumb, Gabby.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Normally i hate Gabby (the giving her boss 5 was really dumb) but i am willing to cut her slack here. In her shoes i probably wouldn't think "better personally back up all my investigation files just incase someone in my office is corrupt and deletes them and the city has no backup system" either. Seems a bit unrwasonable to me since there has been no previous indication of corruption in her office.

Normally i hate Gabby (the giving her boss 5 was really dumb) but i am willing to cut her slack here. In her shoes i probably wouldn't think "better personally back up all my investigation files just incase someone in my office is corrupt and deletes them and the city has no backup system" either. Seems a bit unrwasonable to me since there has been no previous indication of corruption in her office.

ITS CHICAGO. Is she new?!

• Love 4

Normally i hate Gabby (the giving her boss 5 was really dumb) but i am willing to cut her slack here. In her shoes i probably wouldn't think "better personally back up all my investigation files just incase someone in my office is corrupt and deletes them and the city has no backup system" either. Seems a bit unreasonable to me since there has been no previous indication of corruption in her office.

To me, her feeling like she had to go to her old boss because her new boss wouldn't even bring the case to the Chicago PD told her all she needed to know about the need to preserve the safety and integrity of her case files.  

IT'S CHICAGO.  Is she new?!

And, yes, this.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 2

Duffy doesn't know her. He's an old timer who took her in because someone vouched for her. Old timers any city/state/fed government do NOT rock boats. And they don't call out millionaires on circumstantial evidence.  Gabbi's such a maroon. 

And for all the shadiness in her life and adjacently, why wouldn't she cover her ass and keep all info on her, since she just encouraged her old boss to accuse a millionaire of arson???  

I didn't get why she would go public either. At best she had information that said rich dude owned a bunch of buildings that burned. Hardly enough to charge him with, unless you were going to get Voight to beat a confession out of him. Now he knows CFD is onto him and can destroy evidence, come up with alibis and alternate theories and generally build a defense, long before you can arrest him.

Not to mention many scandals are initially broken in the media by "anonymous high-ranking officials" rather than "Chief Boden of Firehouse 51"--no reason he had to be named.

And YES to using at least a rope around the people climbing out of the stalled elevator--isn't a rope part of a firefighter's gear? But sure, why not.

Actually, I would think that the written files would be far more important than digital copies.  Digital can be altered, although the footprint is usually left on the computer, subject to later investigation.  Arson investigations, as with any criminal acts,  are also shifted to experienced and trained personnel, not Gabbified firefighters on light duty.  But what the heck, she'll probably stake him out on his next property and make the arrest herself.

I'm not a arson investigator, but i'm thinking you don't go in a arson investigator without separate training. I went to some training at the National fire academy in Emmitsburg and I know the arson investigators took some classes that were different from the fireman.

So I don't think a fireman transferring to arson, would be given a case to work on her first day, no matter how wide-eyed she looked..perhaps her lack of arson investigation skills is why those files are missing, also would she be taking files home? 

Her character as a lawyer has me anticipating Chicago Law - the next spinoff though.

Don't give them any ideas! Seriously though, I think I'm about done with this show. I watch Limitless now so I record Chicago Fire and don't end up playing it back 'til the following Saturday. It's such a shell of its former self with so many of the original characters gone and seems like nothing but a springboard to service Chicago PD and Chicago Med stories. They've diluted the show down into something that no longer stands on its own.

• Love 1

Don't give them any ideas! Seriously though, I think I'm about done with this show. I watch Limitless now so I record Chicago Fire and don't end up playing it back 'til the following Saturday. It's such a shell of its former self with so many of the original characters gone and seems like nothing but a springboard to service Chicago PD and Chicago Med stories. They've diluted the show down into something that no longer stands on its own.

Who else has left this show?  I thought it was just Shay who was killed off.

Ugh, don't even talk about Limitless, I detest that show and that douchey looking guy who's the star.

It's such a shell of its former self

Agreed it really just isn't the same as previous seasons. It's like there's something missing. All the storylines are so repetitive. They can't find Severide an intriguing love interest to save his life. Dawson is continually the center of everything, Casey is stuck in her orbit. I feel like all the paramedic storylines have been done to death as has the ~Mollys/Boden's job/Firehouse 51 in peril storylines.

• Love 1

Yeah, I definitely don't think the Chicago franchise with Med, CF, and CPD will outlast the L&O franchise which, naturally, spawned SVU, CI, Trial By Jury, Los Angeles (with TBJ/LA one season apiece) and quasi-spinoff Conviction with Alex Cabot. L&O: Mothership ran for 20 years with SVU still going.

I applaud Dick Wolf for still being able to make franchises, but I do think Chicago shows will be lucky, unless the writing improves, to make it to maybe 6 seasons.

• Love 1

I think PD is good and the one trailer I've seen of Med looks good but Fire just seems to have lost something... It's just not the same show.

I think Med will go first though. I feel the timeslot and starting in late November is a bad omen.

I also think Fire has lost something. I keep expecting Severide to leave, I really really really hate Gabby and Casey but I guess that's the way it is, I think Molly's needs to fade away, and the EMTs' storylines are boring. Remember when Severide was caught in the first season snogging the commissioner's daughter in the supply room? Remember when Casey was hot? Now that was some good storytelling! Come on, writers, you have a ton of good looking or interesting or funny characters--get us a fire of the week and just a dab of personal stuff.

I miss Shay. Brett moping for weeks about the baby is just too stupid. Get us a guy in that ambulance and make him not a clown.

Who else has left this show?  I thought it was just Shay who was killed off.

Ugh, don't even talk about Limitless, I detest that show and that douchey looking guy who's the star.

Mills is gone.  They also managed to have a ridiculously high turnover with Newhouse disappearing and Clark leaving(actor got a new job). they also had an awesome EMT who was more professional than wack ass Brett but she had some sob story and lasted maybe 2 or 3 episodes.

They killed of Casey's girlfriend too so he could hook up with Dawson. There was also that guy on Squad who tried to kill himself, they wrote him off, and they wrote off some other guy whose name I can't remember. Also we haven't seen Pouch in awhile, so he's probably gone too. 

And not for nothing but apparently Dawson gets to change careers every season.