Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Boy Barry

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

Upset by Barry's insecurity in their relationship, Lainey sets out to teach him a lesson with Erica's help. However, the situation turns into something totally different and Barry goes to school dressed like Boy George hoping it will change. Meanwhile, Beverly doesn't approve Murray's new mustache so she shaves it off but it backfires.

Review:

Pretty good episode, I didn't even notice that Adam wasn't in it until the end tag.  I've said it before that Bev is very similar to my mom, but this week, wow.  So my mom also shaved off my dad's mustache while he slept because she was sick of it (although he grew it back in the 70's and this had to have been late 80's early 90's).

It was kind of crazy how dead on that was.

• Love 1

This was a really good episode.

It was kind of nice to have an Adam-free episode. I really like Adam, but didn't miss him in this episode at all. It would have felt forced. 

That's the problem and doesn't matter if the actor is good or bad when there is too many episodes in a row focused on one specific character. It gets old and you get tired of seeing them. Something about shows with big assembles, you have to space out stories so that way you care about the stories but then not going: "Hey, that's right, there is this character too." Boy Barry, you have to love it. 

• Love 1

Until you guys just mentioned it I didn't realize he wasn't in the episode.

He actually was in it. Only one scene but he is there when Murray comes into the kitchen after he discovers his mustache has been shaved off and compares it to a puppys paw.

• Love 2

This was a great episode. Like others said, I liked having Adam as a secondary character in this episode, he's definitely been in that role before, but this was certainly his least amount of screen time.

It's also awesome having episodes where Bev isn't in full on Smother mode. She was her crazy self, but focusing it in a new way. Plus that scene of Bill heading out and Murray grabbing for her, and her sitting on his lap was really sweet.

• Love 1

Boy Berry pulled off the look pretty good. Having been in middle/high school during that era though, I find it hard to believe that even Barry would go along with the Boy George look. That was a waaaayy edgy look for a suburban teen male to have the guts to try at that time and I grew up in a fairly liberal area. But I can suspend my belief. Just like how I won't let myself get creeped out by Bev shaving off Murray's mustashe while he slept. A little too Sampson and Delilah for my tastes. 

Laniey looked staight up adorable in her rap look.

You know, I honestly don't think Lainey is nearly as hot as I believe I am supposed to with her regular look. To me her face isn't really very pretty at all and she's not as much out of Barry's league in that respect as they would have is believe. Cool and popularity wise, yes definitely. But I totally agree she was completely adorable with her rap look.

I just finished binge watching this show from season 1 and caught up with this episode.  I love it!  I graduated HS in '91, so a lot of this brings back so many memories!  My mom HATED that Boy George song!  When it was on MTV she would say "Yes, Yes I want to hurt you!"  She only hated it because of how repetitive it was! 

I know that in some of the threads people are commenting on how hard it will be to stay in the ‘80’s with the kids growing, but I don’t think they HAVE to stay in the ‘80s.  Why can’t they progress into the ‘90s?  The show is Goldbergs, not That ‘80s Show (yes, I know that actual show failed).  It’s not exclusively about the decade, but this particular family.  Yes, the original premise and appeal was the ‘80s, but kids grow up!  There’s plenty of ridiculous things from the ‘90s to make fun of!

• Love 3