Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped Impossible

Bella
  • Start Topic

Get Ready for Chopped: Impossible and the All-New "Miniseries" Chopped Junior

Chopped: Impossible premieres October 22 where 12 champions return and Robert Irvine serves as a judge in the first three preliminary rounds.  The three winners then compete in the finale, with someone winning $15,000.  After the winner is determined, they get to go up against Robert Irvine in a wild-card round where they can win an additional $25,000.

Chopped Junior premieres October 27.  Like in regular Chopped, $10,000 is on the line, but only one kid can win the monetary prize.  In addition to the regular judges, renowned chefs and celebrities will take seats behind the judges’ table, including Sam Kass, Sam Talbot, Michelle Bernstein, Martha Stewart, Laila Ali, Valerie Bertinelli, Mila Kunis and Hayden Panettiere.

I recorded the show, & started to watch it & realized........no, just no, I am not going to watch Robert Irvine in another variation of the "impossible" shows. So I deleted it. 

• Love 2

I absolutely loathe Robert Irvine but I'm going to try to ignore his crap because I like Chopped.  Usually.  I hope no one hands him a sledge hammer.

I couldn't stand Diane the first couple times she was on so I was glad she didn't go to the end although I thought she should have been chopped before Barry.  The blond woman seemed to be quite skilled but I could see why her dishes were less appealing.  I liked the guy who won best although he was letting Irvine get his testosterone into a lather.

• Love 2

I can't stand Robert that egotistical ass. I watched and still can't stand him . He has to always actslike he's some super tough military guy! At one point he had to talk about how they assess things in the military! Spare me! He would be someone who no one could trust in a war. He's just out for himself and a major lying jerk.

I just don't get how and why food network kept him when he totally lied about his credentials!

The judges on chopped are the opposite of Irvine and part of the resin the show is good. He just ruins the tone of the show. He's a big mouth who loves berating people.

I only hope that they are promoting Robert because his other show is no where to be found . I think that everyone got sick of him bearing on people and barking orders while trying to play shrink on restaurant impossible , so maybe this is a last ditch effort to give this jerk something new.

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 4

I never really cared about RI but my image of his was tarnished when I learned about his lies re: his credentials. However, I've been highly annoyed by him in the last couple things I've seen him on. 

He was over the top this episode. "Oh, you'll have to do MUCH better than that to beat me!" "Oh, you think you could be me?!"

Ugh, and the other judges/Ted were acting like he was a culinary dignitary.

I only hope that they are promoting Robert because his other show is no where to be found . I think that everyone got sick of him bearing on people and barking orders while trying to play shrink on restaurant impossible , so maybe this is a last ditch effort to give this jerk something new.

I just saw a commercial for his new show, Restaurant: Impossible Ambush. So, nope.

• Love 1

I can't stand Robert that egotistical ass. I watched and still can't stand him . He has to always acts like he's some super tough military guy! At one point he had to talk about how they assess things in the military! Spare me! He would be someone who no one could trust in a war. He's just out for himself and a major lying jerk.

I just don't get how and why food network kept him when he totally lied about his credentials!

The judges on chopped are the opposite of Irvine and part of the resin the show is good. He just ruins the tone of the show. He's a big mouth who loves berating people.

Well, this was an interesting first episode, and the contestants did well with some interesting baskets.  Can't wait to see Chopped After Hours do some of these.  I liked that the final two seemed to get on well with each other, and there were no sob stories this week (yay!!)

General question round our house was "Why is Robert Irvine a judge?"    Seems a little unfair to have him see his potential opponents a couple of times before the final battle.   They could have done better by having 3 regular Chopped judges and then have Robert come in from time to time (maybe in the stew room, maybe after the judging has been done) to lay down the Hulk Hogan smack talk.  

• Love 1

I'm probably going to get slapped silly here, but I didn't think that Robert was that terrible as a judge. (ITA though, that he shouldn't be on the judging panel of his potential competitors.) I thought he brought made some observations and added insight that I hadn't necessarily seen before. Other than that, yeah, the trash talk got old fast, but I couldn't help but think that some of that was forced and as part of his schtick.

I did get a kick of some of Alex's side eyes at Robert and her jumping on him whenever he made a quasi-sexist remark. Go Alex!

Other than that, I'm not terribly worried, Robert has never been very successful on any competition show. I'd love to have some home cook hand him his ass!

• Love 4

I am a Chopped-aholic so I will totally watch this, but... ugh.

Well, this was an interesting first episode, and the contestants did well with some interesting baskets.  Can't wait to see Chopped After Hours do some of these.  I liked that the final two seemed to get on well with each other, and there were no sob stories this week (yay!!)

General question round our house was "Why is Robert Irvine a judge?"    Seems a little unfair to have him see his potential opponents a couple of times before the final battle.   They could have done better by having 3 regular Chopped judges and then have Robert come in from time to time (maybe in the stew room, maybe after the judging has been done) to lay down the Hulk Hogan smack talk.  

This! I thought it was a massive advantage that Irvine gets to actually watch and taste the preparations of his competitors ahead of time. I don't think it's appropriate for him to be a judge at all.

And when he sat back after the entree and basically told them all they'd "have to do better than this" to beat him? The ridiculous arrogance was at over-the-top levels. Right then and there, I couldn't wait to see these people crush him in the finale.

The funny thing is, I wasn't that mad at Irvine over his lies or inflated credentials. I even used to enjoy his show in the early years. But he's now become so unpleasant and such a caricature of himself, that's what I object to more than the resume stuff. Here, he just came off as such an obnoxious blowhard and it was so unnecessary, especially when the cheftestants were really lovely and respectful overall.

I did get a kick of some of Alex's side eyes at Robert and her jumping on him whenever he made a quasi-sexist remark. Go Alex!

Alex is one of my favorite people on "Chopped," not least because of how expressive she is, and in addition to correcting Robert's more overtly sexist moments, she was also doing a healthy amount of stinkface and side-eyeing. So I'm very interested to see how it goes if/when she ends up judging his food.

• Love 3

I can't understand FN's apparent fascination with Robin.  This is at least the 5th time she's showed up somewhere and it's never worked out well.  And she's obnoxious.  Maybe they equate that with good TV.

I was relieved that they chopped the woman from Thailand.  I was planning to scream if she said "my mom" one more time.  I remember when she was on the first time.  She presented herself the same way - poor little meek immigrant longing for her mother.  At the time, someone dug up some information about her and discovered that she had a successful business and was also doing, as I recall, some kind of public speaking.  I don't recall the details but the reality of her life clashed with the way she presented herself.  If all that was true, she's a phony.

I can't believe that any of the real chefs take Robert Irvine seriously.  He's revolting.

• Love 2

I enjoy Chopped a lot but I'm struggling to stay tuned.  Maybe after the last 2 RI-centric episodes I'll come back.  He is just so annoying.  He may be able to cook better than a large population of the world, but he is not the cullinary genius he thinks he is.  I'm so over his drill sargeant attitude and blustering.  He acts as if these trained (and usually locally successful) chefs are amateurs and not worthy of his presence. 

I also don't understand TPTB at Food Network...Robert lied about his credentials and falsified his resume.  But he gets a redemption shot and is given several shows.  Paula Dean was made out to be Hitler's long lost daughter and kicked out of the TV family.  I'm not saying her transgressions were not serious, but there is a weird double standard.  She is a pariah, but RI AND Paula's untalented sons are "celebrities"?

Thaks to you posters for reminding me who Robin was...enough already with the yelling!  Thank goodness she was bounced early.

• Love 2

I also don't understand TPTB at Food Network...Robert lied about his credentials and falsified his resume.  But he gets a redemption shot and is given several shows.  Paula Dean was made out to be Hitler's long lost daughter and kicked out of the TV family.  I'm not saying her transgressions were not serious, but there is a weird double standard.  She is a pariah, but RI AND Paula's untalented sons are "celebrities"?

In the words of James Brown... "It's a man's world...."  Chefdom truly is. Martha Stewart opened the door for a lot of women, in her own way, as did Julia Child. But it's still an industry run by men.

Anyone know why the Chopped Impossible eps aren't showing up on the FN app? Also, can someone point me to the scoop of RI lying about his credentials. Can't belief I missed that.

CI episodes are on local On Demand under Chopped, not as a separate show, maybe look there on the app?

The Reality TV link is wrong and there doesn't seem to be a search on their site.

I think US Naval officer is going all the way.  RI seemed a bit frosty at "You're a military man yourself, right Chef Robert?"  Then, if you're really into the conspiracy theory, you can speculate about how Irvine said "One of these contestants is going to face me" and pointedly changed it later on to "One of these contestants might be facing me".  Or not.

CI episodes are on local On Demand under Chopped, not as a separate show, maybe look there on the app?

I did. It's not there.

Edited by Gbb

If I remember correctly, the most impressive positions listed on his old "resume" were lies, so I was wondering if Robert Irvine has a culinary reputation outside of his FN persona?  A well reviewed restaurant or apprenticeship under a great chef. . .?

I don't watch his makeover shows, but I get the impression that his skills are closer Guy's than the Chopped judges.

Edited by xaxat

I don't watch his makeover shows, but I get the impression that his skills are closer Guy's than the Chopped judges.

From what I recall of him, that is selling Guy short. Guy is actually a trained chef and restaurateur, whatever I might think of his cuisine choices. I think Robert Irvine's skills are mostly in his own head. I just cannot stand him. I enjoyed the show a bit more last week after I realized that he sticks out his upper lip when he is not talking and thus looks a bit like a Simpsons character.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 5

Wait a minute!!! The chef, Leslie, who said "I won the Chopped grilling competition!"

No she didn't. She won a round, and got to the finals. She didn't win squat. WHY are they bringing her back and letting her say that? As a friend of Kent Rollins, who didn't win the final prize either, I know he didn't get any money, nothing except the jacket.

• Love 3

Wasn't Leslie the woman who put a live lobster on a hot grill during the grilling competition?  If so, I hope she never wins anything again.  That was brutal.

I liked the Italian guy the first time he was on and was sorry to see him chopped but I wasn't surprised because of the emphasis on the girl's sob story.  Her "poor little me" demeanor and downcast eyes conflicted mightily with what she was saying verbally.  Yecch.

I'm glad this series is almost over.  Robert Irvine is just repellent.

• Love 3

Ugh, tonight's episode annoyed me greatly. Starting with Leslie jumping back in to take over the fryer after she'd already used it and someone else was in the middle of loading her stuff in it. Dirty pool. SO happy she got booted on that round.

And if I have to listen to Rovert Irvine bloviate for another episode I might gouge out my ears. Repellent is the right word. I keep hoping one of the cheftestants will start laughing and say, "Are you for real, you braying jackass??" They won't of course, but they have to be thinking it. "Look at me when I'm talking to you," my ass. I'd love to know what the other judges really think of him.

And did you know the winner had been in an abusive relationship? I'm very sorry that happened to her, and very happy she found a way out of it, but when you bring it up every time you need a little juice with the judges? You're using it and being manipulative.

Bleh.

• Love 6

"Look at me when I'm talking to you"??? Oh fuck off. Cut the crap and stop with the demeaning attitude. These contestants are adults, they shouldn't be spoken to like that by a jumped up little martinet. I'm looking forward to watching him go down next week.

• Love 7

Ok, I finally watched this Chopped Impossible episode.  While I liked Emily, the episode was hard to watch.   Robert Irvine is a dick.  

I think they're trying to improve Chopped, make it more interesting, but this is a misstep.  He makes the show more like on of his Restaurant Impossible shows, where he goes in and yells at people.  He thinks he has to tear people down in order to build them up and help them. 

The "don't look down!  Look at me when I'm talking to you"  was bullshit.  so was the earlier imitations of contestants being shaky or nervous, or hyper.  What an arrogant ass!

Can I say it again?

Robert Irvine is a dick.

• Love 8

How long will jerkwad Irvine be on this show? He is so obnoxious. What is sickening is how people kiss his butt on his Facebook page.

I really think they might be trying to revive Restaurant Impossible . It is just starting with some dumb ambush version, I haven't see new RI shows for a while.

Hopefully they will get this egotistical ass off of chopped soon. This show is nice because there is no degrading of contestants. This ass runs the tone of the show. He needs to get a reality show on Bravo where he can fit into the tacky vibe like Real Housewives!

• Love 3

If this were a regular thing I'd be tuning out, but for the sake of novelty Irvine and his tired drill sergeant schtick is jarring and amusing. He changes the entire tone of the show which is interesting for a bit. LOL at Ted's eyes bulging out at one point during his ranting. Robert knows the tone but he still refuses to break character and thinks he's there to whip losers into shape.

• Love 1

Ok, I finally watched this Chopped Impossible episode.  While I liked Emily, the episode was hard to watch.   Robert Irvine is a dick.  

I think they're trying to improve Chopped, make it more interesting, but this is a misstep.  He makes the show more like on of his Restaurant Impossible shows, where he goes in and yells at people.  He thinks he has to tear people down in order to build them up and help them. 

The "don't look down!  Look at me when I'm talking to you"  was bullshit.  so was the earlier imitations of contestants being shaky or nervous, or hyper.  What an arrogant ass!

Agreed. Perhaps even more frightening is they seem to also be trying to improve Restaurant Impossible by making him even MORE of a dick on that show than he was before. I seriously don't get it.

• Love 1

This entire network mystifies me, and now they're messing with one of my (former) favorite shows by bringing in one of my least favorite FN "personalities." The only one worse would be Guy F., and they're probably busy trying to figure out a version of Chopped for him. 

• Love 2

This entire network mystifies me, and now they're messing with one of my (former) favorite shows by bringing in one of my least favorite FN "personalities." The only one worse would be Guy F., and they're probably busy trying to figure out a version of Chopped for him. 

Well, he's got Grocery Games, so he's kinda got his own version of Chopped already. Hopefully that'll keep him off of the main Chopped show.

Slightly OT but it's so weird to me that I met Guy in person once at one of his local restaurants and really liked him. He was a little intense (shocker, I know), but he was very friendly, kind, and gracious. At the same time I met a couple of friends of his who were also there for the big opening, and they were a lot of fun to hang out with too. When I see him on his shows though I'm going "CALM DOWN!!!" and I can rarely get through a whole episode. I've always wondered if Robert Irvine would be different in person too, but I have a feeling he'd be even more of a jerk than how he comes across on the shows.

• Love 1

Whatever they do, it will have to be titled with three words that all start with the same letter of the alphabet.

• Love 1

Robert Irvine had the dickishness dialed up to 11, that's for sure. Where did he get off berating Shaky Emily (although I was getting tired of her sob story.)

I noticed that Geoffrey barely looked at him. Aaron was stuck in the middle trying to be neutral, I guess.

Restaurant Impossible redid a restaurant here a couple of years ago. I went in there for lunch one day shortly after the episode aired and tried to talk to the people behind the counter about the experience. From what I gathered, Robert wasn't around all that much. (They were pretty closed-mouthed about him.) However, they couldn't say enough nice things about Tom, who also did the design work for that particular episode.

• Love 3

Shoot, I like Guy Fieri. For me he's the most normal person on the network; I love Diners/Drive-ins because he's so quick to build up his host chef. Like he IDs the thing they're the most proud of and fawns over it.

Guy'd be entirely too respectful and full of praise for them to ever allow him on the Chopped set. He would never be able to deliver a line like "You ruined the integrity of the noodle" with a straight face.

• Love 5

I didn't like Guy when all I knew of him was DD&D which I still don't care much for but I started to look at him differently when I saw him acting as a mentor on FNS and saw him calm and articulate and not shouting.  I realized that this is a fellow with a college education and genuine culinary training who's been smart enough and hard-working enough to turn a schtick into an empire.  I really enjoy GGG which he does very well.  

I think he'd be just as competent judging on Chopped as many of the guest judges they bring in, some of whom aren't even in the food business.  I'd value his opinion far more than anything Robert Irvine has to say; that's for sure.

Sorry for going off topic somewhat.

• Love 6

Shoot, I like Guy Fieri. For me he's the most normal person on the network; I love Diners/Drive-ins because he's so quick to build up his host chef. Like he IDs the thing they're the most proud of and fawns over it.

Guy'd be entirely too respectful and full of praise for them to ever allow him on the Chopped set. He would never be able to deliver a line like "You ruined the integrity of the noodle" with a straight face.

And let's not forget that picking up a piece of fish with tongs will send you straight to hell. With a diet of nothing but raw red onions.

• Love 3