Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: To The Victor Belong The Spoils

With Mingo’s help, Daphne holds a fundraiser to help support a sign-language school in Mexico. Bay is livid when a student starts using her art to sell crude t-shirts. Regina deals with the repercussions of digging through Eric’s past. Meanwhile, Toby and Lily have to make difficult decisions about their future.

Title art: To the Victor Belong the Spoils (1901) by Charles Marion Russell.

• Love 1

Mingo is a good guy, and I feel bad for him. Daphne has a thing for that guy, and she knows it. First, she kisses that guy, then she keeps talking to him, lying to Mingo about it, then acts like he is a complete idiot for daring to be upset about that? Then just keeps texting the guy? That is crap. 

• Love 1

I didn't pay attention to the whole episode but if I was T-shirt douchebag's mother, I'd have totally embarrassed that guy after him spouting that garbage. And because the act of fair use was a theme, it makes it okay for Emmett to submit it for his personal gain because he created it? Why would Bay be okay with it? Craziness.

As for Toby, I've had enough of him and his baby drama. First he wants to exert authority then he backs down and decides to give in. If his only screentime is going to be of him whining and arguing back and forth then let him leave for London! They've completed ruined his character for me - so many avenues they could have taken with him (college for a music degree, starting a new band, having a deaf girlfriend etc) and the only thing he's good for is working at a car wash, being a small-time DJ, and being a teenage father. I wonder if the actor is planning on taking on other projects and it will mean less screen time for him?

Edited by Eri
  • Love 1

Toby was such a happy, together guy in the first season. Now at the age of, what, 20-21, he's divorced, a failed DJ, has no college education, and is in a shaky (at best) relationship with his baby mama carrying a baby with Down Syndrome. All of that? Grim. I just wish he weren't such a magnet for unhappiness and failed relationships.

Lily is into Julian but pretending not to be. Daphne is into Quin and pretending not to be. Parallelism. Or something. Either way, they both suck and Toby and Mingo deserve better.

Yeah, John, go ahead and sue for custody on completely baseless grounds. The stench of Kennish entitlement was thick and heavy tonight.

• Love 1

Heaven forbid that Bay has any fun. Daphne puts her mind to something and the whole world around her goes bananas. Eventually she gets what she wants. Let's hope Bay's new art project turns out great.

The writers surely know how to put people in their place and make sure they stay there. It's so repetitive and insults the intelligence of anyone watching this show. And when someone's life changes, things turn out worse (e.g. Toby's).

A show by drama queens for drama queens ... 

• Love 2

Regina's boyfriend was stomping around like a petulant adolescent, John was raging, Toby was gripped with jealousy (and he and Lily do not get along at all), Emmett is on his usual self-centered quest.  Makes Mingo look like a prince.  And of course Travis.  Daphne is only hanging onto Mingo until the other guy becomes more of a sure thing, and that isn't pretty to watch.  Only Bay looks like she has a head on her shoulders, but I wish she had told Emmett to stuff it.  She didn't have any real veto power, he could have gone ahead anyway, but she could have acknowledged that it was his creation and he was free to do whatever, but that it made her uncomfortable and thus she could have had her feelings out there.  Maybe she has seen Kathryn tiptoe around John one time too many.

• Love 1

Speaking of entitlement...that entire scene when John and Catherine at last broke it down to the family about their financial troubles bugged the living shit out of me. Don't worry any of you about tightening your belt or pitching in. We've got this. We'll continue to cradle all of you in a cocoon of money. What sort of lesson is that for the youngsters? Let them get jobs and work while attending school. Let them get scholarships if possible and  student loans if they need to. Let frickin' Regina! pitch in for her own daughters' futures. (we feel bad taking rent money from you as it is. WTF???)  I don't know what percentage of kids in real life get their entire college education handed to them on a platter, but I'm willing to bet it's a very small percentage. The Kennishes aren't learning anything or changing or growing from this sudden reduction in financial circumstances. I'd love to see it all blow up in their faces and for the lot of them to be homeless and forced to pick up oranges that have fallen from their truck on a dusty Mexican street.

• Love 1

1. Bay DOES have a job. I don't know how many hours per week it is, but, at least, she has something.

2. Your ONLY complaint is with Daphne. She DID have a scholarship, which she lost because of a bad grade. Regina DID offer to help  out but J and K said no.

But no one really insists on pitching in or shouts down their objections. NO, really. We WANT to do our part and insist on it.
Although, come to think of it, there are very few kids in their young twenties who are going to be that mature and let go of the family teat without being forced to a little bit. REgina, on the other hand, is a grown woman who should be able to think for herself and say, "oh hey, maybe it's time for me to take control of my own life and look after my own daughter" (whichever one she's choosing to think of as her daughter at the moment. but that's another nitpick. Sometimes it has seemed like she almost completely severed ties with Daphne in favor of mothering Bay. But then, occasionally they'll be paired again--like for that ill-fated road trip to see New Boyfriend's ex-wife. It's all arbitrary and dependant on who's writing the script that week or something)

All right, I concede, this has more to do with the Kennish adults and particularly John wanting to be the big man in charge than anything else. But I still believe all of them have a very entitled vibe about them.  

I laughed when Daphne said she'd been thinking about taking a semester off...as though she's been so busy studying and needed to relax from the grueling work and stress, none of which we've seen.

I was confused on the t-shirt guy using Bay's art.  Are the writers trying to tell us it was just a coincidence that he took the hammer girl and turned her into hammered girl with a drunk rape "joke"?  He had no idea it was Bay's art and that Bay had been drinking and was raped?

• Love 1

Bonnie D, you are SO right about how entitled these Kennish parents are.  I loathe Kathrine.  She is self-absorbed, self-righteous, and smug.  If I have to listen to her sing one more number from that craptastic musical she keeps foisting on us, I will kick in my tv screen. And John is, was, and will continue to be, an asshat. 

Toby has to choose between living in London and living in suburban Kansas.  Hmmm, what to do, what to do?  Especially since he's got so much going on there for himself in Kansas, like... and then there's ...

I'm sure that living in London would be cool, but being unable to work and having your residency there tied up with a woman who was basically ready to dump you before she found out that she was pregnant would be less cool.

• Love 1

I have to laugh at the douche guy who was making those tee shirts. Its like he was built in a douchebag lab to be a perfect antagonist for Bay. He does it all! He offends women! He promotes rape! He wont listen to his mom! He does not respect the Artist! His face is just so punchable! 

• Love 3

Let frickin' Regina! pitch in for her own daughters' futures. (we feel bad taking rent money from you as it is. WTF???)

I laughed out loud on this one.  Regina has been  living off the Kennish largesse for quite awhile now, and she has moved in two more people. Erik can pitch in more rent, but I have a feeling he's going to be taking a powder soon.

I'm sure that living in London would be cool, but being unable to work and having your residency there tied up with a woman who was basically ready to dump you before she found out that she was pregnant would be less cool.

Toby is going to end up a sad panda in this one way or the other.  As it currently stands, the two are planning the London move, aren't they?  Yet they don't get along at all and the other guy popping around is maybe not a red herring.  Toby seemed like a shrill jealous kid (but he's right about her and the guy, I don't buy her explanation), he's still floundering as far as job or education, and he's about to take on parenthood.  Here, there or anywhere, he's gotten himself into a tough spot.

Edited by ShadowFacts

I laughed when Daphne said she'd been thinking about taking a semester off...as though she's been so busy studying and needed to relax from the grueling work and stress, none of which we've seen.

I was confused on the t-shirt guy using Bay's art.  Are the writers trying to tell us it was just a coincidence that he took the hammer girl and turned her into hammered girl with a drunk rape "joke"?  He had no idea it was Bay's art and that Bay had been drinking and was raped?

I am disappointed that the story fell a bit flat there as i thought they were building it up to something with the fact that he was basically taking Bay's story and her art and rubbing her nose in it. But I guess they can't keep harping on about the rape story. I really think the whole T-Shirt thing was a waste of bloody time. They seem to be running out of storylines here....

With all due respect, Toby would probably get more work as a DJ in London than he would in Kansas, and if it's done correctly, wouldn't have problems with residency. I'm not the biggest fan of this girlfriend (I can't remember her name now) but I do think Toby has a lot of growing up to do and she could probably be the one to help him with that. And no, I also don't think she's interested in that other guy. She simply admitted to something that millions of people who are in relationships have been guilty of... being attracted to someone else they have been spending time with. The real show of that person's character is the ability to NOT give into the temptation.

• Love 1

Isn't London, like most cities, a really expensive place to live? Who's footing the bill because you know DJ pay and a teacher's salary won't cover it with a kid on the way. Oh right, the gf's parents are because a Kennish child can never completely grow up, get a real job, and learn that sometimes you just have to work at a job you don't particularly like to make MONEY. Art schmart. Money really is important, especially when trying to support a family. Sometimes we have to make our art a weekend addendum to a real, wage-earning job, Kennish children.

• Love 2

I am disappointed that the story fell a bit flat there as i thought they were building it up to something with the fact that he was basically taking Bay's story and her art and rubbing her nose in it. But I guess they can't keep harping on about the rape story. I really think the whole T-Shirt thing was a waste of bloody time. They seem to be running out of storylines here....

With all due respect, Toby would probably get more work as a DJ in London than he would in Kansas, and if it's done correctly, wouldn't have problems with residency. I'm not the biggest fan of this girlfriend (I can't remember her name now) but I do think Toby has a lot of growing up to do and she could probably be the one to help him with that. And no, I also don't think she's interested in that other guy. She simply admitted to something that millions of people who are in relationships have been guilty of... being attracted to someone else they have been spending time with. The real show of that person's character is the ability to NOT give into the temptation.

I don't know about that, he has some advantages where he is, in KC he's got friends and connections in the music scene that he's built up for years, and his last name carries some celebrity. In London he'll have to build all those connections from the ground up, and no one is going to care that his father played baseball in the 80s/90s. There will be more gigs in London, but also stronger competition.

I read their scenes around that as her having a foot out the door, not because of the other guy, but because she didn't respect Toby's lack of a traditional career path and was realizing that he was barely out of his teens and still very much in the feeling out/college age stage that she'd left behind years earlier.

I'm trying to recall whether Regina gave Will's mother too much identifying information which would allow her to track down Eric and Will? I believe that she used her correct first name but that was it?