Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

I liked Maxi and Lulu at Kellys.  It wasn't well written, but they seemed to be having fun with it, and we're constantly decrying the lack of friendships on the show, and I think they were trying to give us some of that.  Poorly, but an attempt.  

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Maxi races to Plywood's side, the judge just happens to be at GH for something or other, and he takes away her custody forever.  Or until Christmas eve, when Monica takes him to the reading of Twas the Night Before Christmas and his grinchy heart grows 3 sizes and he decides Maxi should be with her child, and somehow gets Spinelli to fly cross country to be at her door at midnight, dropping the baby off because he and Ellie are off to some distant land that doesn't allow children.

And speaking of Spinelli, Spencer started speaking like him, which is a very, very bad sign.  What did he call Helena?  "Esteemed matriarch?"  Maybe Spinelli and Ellie can take him to that faraway land.

• Love 3

Okay with all the bending of the space time continuum to get people all the hell over the place like Carrrloss from Pentonville to the coffee house and Helena from Liz's to Wyndemere and back yet my det Speical Kitty can't get an ambulance to save his life? that does bug.

And I did LOL at Dr. O staying so Nathan "wouldn't be alone" during his stressful life event then pan to Anna, Sam and Lulu all hovering over him like vultures. Yah Nathan is one guy you don't have to worry about getting lonely.....if he was you know I'D be glad to pitch in.....<wink>

• Love 2
I liked Maxi and Lulu at Kellys.  It wasn't well written, but they seemed to be having fun with it, and we're constantly decrying the lack of friendships on the show, and I think they were trying to give us some of that.  Poorly, but an attempt.

Agreed.  And, Ulkis , I like what ER did with trying to inflect some life into the donut to work out comparison.  There were nuggets of dialogue that could have worked, but the "don't YOU look at MY man" shit was rote.  Worse, to me, was the fact that the writer had to write his way out of the scene by having Lulu, "Yeah, I knew, but I really, really wanted to tell my joke."

Really "Yeah, I know better, but I really, really want to tell my joke, so SUCK IT" sums up the writers' mantra for this show altogether.

[Message to writers (which, yes, is really just me venting to you all and myself] Guys, we've been through this before with Mac and dummy.  There's a difference between a funny laugh at groan-worthy joke and just a groan-worthy joke. What Lulu said about the slamming body? was the latter. Don't do it. Ever.

I also don't see the writing as forcing me to love Nina, Ava, Franco, Kiki, Dr O or Britt.

They practically had a violinist drive to your house and play in the background during the Dr. O, Britt, and Faison lovefest.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 2
Seriously? Does Ron enjoy making [Anna] look like some totally incompetent moron?

Yes. He obviously LOVES it. Sorry Ron, but writing Anna badly is not gonna make Dr. O a hero. Nice try, buddy.

Just like having Franco cuddle a baby for days isn't going to make people forget that he's a SERIAL KILLER.

Or Helena's putting Spencer on blast is going to make me forget that she's holding Robin prisoner.

Seeing Sonny getting a beatdown was everything. That it was at Johnny's hands made it even better. Sonny should be thankful that he didn't get raped.

• Love 3

Agreed.  And, Ulkis , I like what ER did with trying to inflect some life into the donut to work out comparison.  There were nuggets of dialogue that could have worked, but the "don't YOU look at MY man" shit was rote.  Worse, to me, was the fact that the writer had to write his way out of the scene by having Lulu, "Yeah, I knew, but I really, really wanted to tell my joke."

Really "Yeah, I know better, but I really, really want to tell my joke, so SUCK IT" sums up the writers' mantra for this show altogether.

[Message to writers (which, yes, is really just me venting to you all and myself] Guys, we've been through this before with Mac and dummy.  There's a difference between a funny laugh at groan-worthy joke and just a groan-worthy joke. What Lulu said about the slamming body? was the latter. Don't do it. Ever.

They practically had a violinist drive to your house and play in the background during the Dr. O, Britt, and Faison lovefest.

Nah. So, they played sad music and there were tears. I don't get from this show that the audience MUST care about every character when they have sad moments.

The writing might be crap a lot of the time , but anyone who has been in business as long as they have, knows that no character is universally loved, and there's nothing you can do to make them so. I just see them telling a story, and I see them as leaving it up to the viewer as to whether or not they care or are moved.

• Love 1

Speaking of Spencer, I wonder how long before he tries to shove that ring that Britt gave him onto Emma's finger.  "Bwitt said to give it to somewone I truly wuv and that's you, Emma, my darling!".

I expect to see this scene during the Christmas episode.

The writing might be crap a lot of the time , but anyone who has been in business as long as they have, knows that no character is universally loved, and there's nothing you can do to make them so. 

RC begs to differ! He takes to his twitter/the press all the time to tell us how wrong we are.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3

I was kinda okay with the slamming body joke in and of itself . . . I saw it as Dante's cheesy jokes finally rubbing of on Lulu, heh. It was just the way they shoved it in was so stilted. 

Like instead of this

Lulu: Worried about your man?

Maxie: Yeah. How could I not be, when my man is at pentonville?

Lulu: Why is nathan in pentonville? Did he get arrested?

Maxie: For what?

Lulu: Slaying the ladies with that body of his?

Maybe this would have worked slightly better

Lulu: Worried about your man? I hear he's in pentonville

Maxie: yeah, he's bringing Faison in. Why, is there something else?

Lulu: Oh, yeah . . . I hear he's being arrested, for slaying the ladies with that body of his

Maxie: oh God.

Not much better, but at least it would have eliminated the part where Lulu pretends Dante didn't tell her an obvious piece of information just to get the joke in

Edited by ulkis

Seeing Sonny getting a beatdown was everything. That it was at Johnny's hands made it even better. Sonny should be thankful that he didn't get raped.

The only thing that would have made it better would be to see Sonny actually get a beatdown, rather than have a stunt dummy come in off camera and get piledriven while MB was off to the side drinking margaritas and being fanned by nubile script girls.

Edited by NutmegsDad
  • Love 4

RC begs to differ! He takes to his twitter/the press all the time to tell us how wrong we are.

I think the idea that sad music playing in the background means we're supposed to love a character is bizarre. That would mean we're supposed to love them all, then, because they pretty much do it for everyone.

I don't keep up with Twitter or even read interviews with actors or TPTB anymore. Haven't for years.

I don't think anyone is so uninformed as to really believe that any viewer loves ALL these characters.

It's never happened before in the history of soaps, and I'm sure that no matter what they might say, they do know that it won't happen.

Nah. So, they played sad music and there were tears. I don't get from this show that the audience MUST care about every character when they have sad moments.

I'd agree with this.  Nina and Franco have had tinkly "CARE ABOUT THEM!" music and I still don't.  I just don't think that type of propping actually works in changing a viewer's mind about a character, not that it stops these shows from trying.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
Maybe this would have worked slightly better

Maxie: yeah, he's bringing Faison in. So?

Lulu: Oh, there's more . . . I hear he's being arrested, for slaying the ladies with that body of his

Maxie: oh God.

See -- that's what I mean.  I mean -- the idea is she's setting this up for a joke? Who thinks they were going to get a softball response that would allow her to make that joke?

Shouldn't it have gone:

Lulu: Worried about your man? I hear he's in Pentonville

Maxie: I know - Faison's a dangerous man.  He's escaped from a super max prison. I hope they don't try anything on the way.

Lulu: yeah... I was going to make a stupid joke about how Nathan's being arrested, for slaying the ladies with that body of his, but given how actually dangerous this is, that'd be stupid.

Maxie:  Yeah, what if Nathan got shot?  How stupid would you feel then? Besides, what ladies has Nathan been slaying? He's the most gorgeous creature I've ever laid my eyes on, and before kinda, sorta hooking up with me, he hasn't had a single date.

Lulu: I know! what's up with that?  Women have got be throwing themselves at him. We were beginning to wonder if he was ...

Maxie:  Yeah, no. Totally not.

Or even:

Maxie: yeah, you worried about Dante?

Lulu: Yeah. But I'm sure they'll be fine. I hope so anyway.

It was just so horribly, horribly forced!

• Love 1

I will give my Happy Trails to Kelly. What started as a "why is she getting nekkid all over the place? Does she have a purpose?" turned int one of the best potential characters with backstory starting with "Hello, Mother."  The contract negotiations left a hamfisted exit ("I demand to know what you are taking about in my house, and you better not lie, because I taught Spencer not to lie...."), but those tears at the end were real. She really enjoyed working with Dr.O. and Spencer. And the best bet is that, even after Helena found out that she had Spencer in the middle of things, she left PC alive.

Speaking of which, put in a few years of SORAsing on Spencer and see how he goes against Great-Granny. I don't think she'll be able to keep him on the farm, er, island.

And yeah, after Helena wanted Spencer wrapped up in bubblewrap to Spoon Island, it's not only going to come out that Nathan is a Cassadine, but probably THE Cassadine Prince by primogeniture, as daddy will be Valentine.

Oh, I did like this exchange --

Lulu: Worried about your man?
Maxie: Yeah. How could I not be, when my man is at pentonville?

Cut to.... a shot of Johnny.

Okay, RC, nice nod. You nailed an in-joke perfectly. Now *leave it alone*. Do NOT run this into the ground.

• Love 3

I'd agree with this.  Nina and Franco have had tinkly "CARE ABOUT THEM!" music and I still don't.  I just don't think that type of propping actually works in changing a viewer's mind about a character, not that it stops these shows from trying.

Exactly. Do TPTB want the audience to care about their personal faves? I'm sure they do. But in spite of anything they say in print, or what have you, they do realize it's not going to happen. There are far too many diverse members of the audience, and they know what appeals to one repels another. They simply present the moment-and it either hits home with some, or it doesn't. This is so far removed from Sam bawling all over the death of the non character, her brother Danny. THAT was emotional manipulation.

Nina and Franco cooing over a baby is cute, but it doesn't scream "LOVE these people". It's just a cute moment. It doesn't change who those people are, or what they've done, one iota.

I think the idea that sad music playing in the background means we're supposed to love a character is bizarre. That would mean we're supposed to love them all, then, because they pretty much do it for everyone.

I don't keep up with Twitter or even read interviews with actors or TPTB anymore. Haven't for years.

I don't think anyone is so uninformed as to really believe that any viewer loves ALL these characters.

It's never happened before in the history of soaps, and I'm sure that no matter what they might say, they do know that it won't happen.

I am fine with the sad cello of good-byes playing over scenes with characters I don't like, like, say, Michael and Kiki. I am lukewarm at best towards the former and loathe the latter, but they aren't evil mad scientist terrorists, so whatever. When the sad cello plays for Dr. O and Faison, I raise an eyebrow, because if it's not trying to get me to love them it's at least trying to make me go, "aw, shucks, so sad the evil nutcases must separate".

• Love 5

When the sad cello plays for Dr. O and Faison, I raise an eyebrow, because if it's not trying to get me to love them it's at least trying to make me go, "aw, shucks, so sad the evil nutcases must separate".

Yea, this. And Franco/Nina cooing over the baby is supposed to make us all go, "But they LOVE babies so they're not that bad!" Or how all the "SONNY LOVES HIS KIDS!" is supposed to make everyone OK with him being a disgusting pig. Or Franco getting cheated on is supposed to makes us root for him ruining people's lives.

• Love 3

I still can't get over Helena's "townie." We've known her for nearly 20 years now, not including our brief introduction in 1981. Helena has never once used the term 'townie' in all that time, and we all know that term would never have occurred to her. It doesn't occur to us. It's some phrase Ron picked up from growing up in upstate New York or watching movies or tv. And every time someone uses it on the show, I see Ron's imprint. It's his word, not any natural GH characters. It makes no sense. And we all know Helena's go to put down word is 'peasant.' They're all peasants to her, and no need to differentiate between the town-based ones and the others. I know it's a minor point. but these writers indulging themselves like this? So annoying to me.

Helena learned how to speak Spencer. First scare the shit out of him, then get on his good side. Manipulative. Let's see if she gets involved with using Spencer (it's not Britt-evil if she does it, remember).

Faison suddenly loves his daughter and wants to have a life with her and Olbrecht??!

Nah, he wants to get the hell out of town, and the fastest way to do that is to agree with whatever's going on. He'll ditch Britt when the moment is right. Faison is nothing if not opportunistic.

I liked the goodbye scenes but I viewed them as KT's good-bye's, not Britt's.

Yeah, that's the only way they make any sense.

I always had a thing for that relationship (Connie/Johnny) so it was nice to hear Johnny looking back somewhat fondly on it, despite all the sleaziness and hate and animosity that brought them together in the first place.

Same here, and I liked that Johnny reminded Sonny that Johnny and Connie used each other and knew it and were fine with it. So often those kinds of points get lost, and we get only Sonny's inaccurate version of things.

The music cues on this show are completely nuts.

• Love 6

I am fine with the sad cello of good-byes playing over scenes with characters I don't like, like, say, Michael and Kiki. I am lukewarm at best towards the former and loathe the latter, but they aren't evil mad scientist terrorists, so whatever. When the sad cello plays for Dr. O and Faison, I raise an eyebrow, because if it's not trying to get me to love them it's at least trying to make me go, "aw, shucks, so sad the evil nutcases must separate".

RIght. But you aren't being forced to. You're allowed to make up your mind. And that's my point.  This isn't the heavy handed writing of Guza, where I was just supposed to turn a blind eye to Sam knocking Tracy over in a chair, or Courtney knocking her down.

Because back then, if we didn't lap up what they were serving, it just got worse.

I feel this writing isn't any more biased than any other soap.  And it certainly isn't as bad as Guza's blatant force feeding of his faves.

• Love 1

I guess maybe it's not the writing itself that's forcing us (I'm not sure I agree, but I concede it might not be), but RC himself is trying to force his vision onto people via Twitter/the press. But since I'm sure only hardcore fans even look at that stuff, it probably isn't ultimately a big deal.

• Love 3

Exactly. Do TPTB want the audience to care about their personal faves? I'm sure they do. But in spite of anything they say in print, or what have you, they do realize it's not going to happen.

At least we now agree that the music cues are intended to be manipulative.

• Love 4

They give sad music cues for everyone, as I said before. I do believe none of TPTB would be shocked to know some viewers weren't moved at all yesterday.

For the show to be loved by everyone would be impossible.

I'm still rarely moved by Sam, for instance. I don't care about her or her sisters or her mother. Never have. Never will, no matter the music cues or the plot involved. Doesn't mean I can't swear there won't be a moment I don't go "awww" with them in it. But I hate all the pretentious, holier than thou "Davis girls." And background music will never change that, because it takes more than that for me to be long term invested in a character.

Edited by IWantCandy71

My opinion is every character has fans. Just b/c I don't like that character doesn't mean someone does. The writers are writing to that character's fans not expecting everyone to love them. And one step further is everyone has someone that loves them. It doesn't matter if the person is evil or good they still have people in their lives that love them. Just like even though Franco and Nina are crazy as bessibugs doesn't mean they can't love and care for a baby. Everyone deserves heartfelt music when they are with those who LOVE them. Dr. O loves Faison so of couse their goodbye would be sad.

I mean I loathe Britt and while I'd never want an actor to get fired and lose their paycheck KT left of her own free will so while many liked her I didn't and I'm not torn up she's gone nor did those scenes move me at all. I was actually kind of the opposite about the scenes with Britt and Spencer. I think she is a bad influence on him and not a good role model or mother material so those heart string scenes kind of made me angry, but that is just b/c I don't like Britt.

That Johnny guy did not impress me at all and I like Sonny so I felt bad for him and that gloating Johnny made me angry, but of course others felt the opposite. That's okay, but no one is alone in how they feel and everyone has a point of view.

I happen to enjoy a lot of evil fictional characters b/c they are more interesting so just b/c someone is evil doesn't mean they don't have people rooting for them...except Patrick NO ONE should root for that dick.(JK)

• Love 1

I guess maybe it's not the writing itself that's forcing us (I'm not sure I agree, but I concede it might not be), but RC himself is trying to force his vision onto people via Twitter/the press. But since I'm sure only hardcore fans even look at that stuff, it probably isn't ultimately a big deal.

And what poor Ron never seems to realize is that his effort to force his vision on others often only increases a personal dislike of a character (see: everything Robert Ford on OLTL).

• Love 6

Well said, Cattitude,  IA. As I said, it takes more than music and an emotional moment to like a character. I think that's true for most people. If they don't care about/hate a character BEFORE the emotional moment, the emotional moment probably isn't going to change that.

I can feel sorry for someone IRL and yet not really like them as a person.  The same applies to the fictional world. 

Edited by IWantCandy71

With Johnny, he's someone you really need to go to the history thread about because he's in or around Micheal /Maxie's age group, yet Sonny who "loves his kids" tortured him. Tortured. He's got a very good reason to beat up on Sonny.

Seriously.  Sonny's gleefulness over revealing that Claudia was not Johnny's sister, but his mother is reason enough alone to beat the crap out of him.

• Love 11

With Johnny, he's someone you really need to go to the history thread about because he's in or around Micheal /Maxie's age group, yet Sonny who "loves his kids" tortured him. Tortured. He's got a very good reason to beat up on Sonny.

Actually what really turned me off to Johnny was his conversation about bedding the same women with Sonny. He is clearly 1/2 Sonny's age so that just....no. Plus I read too much here first and expected him to be....prettier.

But my main point is I'm not the only viewer coming from my point of view. Other viewers have never seen Johnny before so everyone has their own point of view. For a non-"lifer", Johnny does not impress.

Edited by Cattitude

That Johnny guy did not impress me at all and I like Sonny so I felt bad for him and that gloating Johnny made me angry, but of course others felt the opposite. That's okay, but no one is alone in how they feel and everyone has a point of view.

I happen to enjoy a lot of evil fictional characters b/c they are more interesting so just b/c someone is evil doesn't mean they don't have people rooting for them...except Patrick NO ONE should root for that dick.(JK)

I'm not trying to change your mind or opinion, Cattitude, but in defense of Johnny, you have to know their history.  That midgety moobster locked Johnny in a padded room and had him beaten because he was SO SURE that Johnny had shot Kate, when she was played by Megan Ward, when in fact, it was Michael who had shot her.  Then, when it was revealed that he was a child of incest...that Claudia wasn't only his sister, but mother, he taunted Johnny with that, and accused him of wanting his sister sexually, in front of strangers at some party. He was always gunning after Johnny for who knows what reason...

So yeah, count me in as being VERY HAPPY that Johnny was gloating and taunting Sonny. I's so much LESS than what that piece of shit deserves.

• Love 12

Then, when it was revealed that he was a child of incest...that Claudia wasn't only his sister, but mother, he taunted Johnny with that, and accused him of wanting his sister sexually, in front of strangers at some party.

Wait, that's not right, is it?  I thought Claudia was just his mother, not his sister as well.

• Love 3

Yeah. What was worse is that Johnny was close in age to Sonny's kids. But Johnny still helped Michael and Kristina more than Sonny did.

Claudia was his mother, but Sonny always insisted they were sexually involved. Or Johnny wanted them to be. And Trevor Lansing was Johnny's guardian, too,

Edited by Grrpants09

He's around Lulu/Maxie age, so that puts him like a few years older than Michael if he's 21, not that much older if Micheal is 24. I have no clue how old we are supposed to believe Micheal is. Whatever fits the story because with SK he was 24, but a week or so ago the papers said 21. So they change his age for fellow actors? But Johnny was old enough to date Better Kristina who looked young. Johnny must be 28ish.

You guys are surprised by anyone Carly or Olivia sleeps with lol.

Johnny is supposed to be the same age as Michael? He looks so much older (in all the right ways). And CarJohn just became a whole lot ickier to me.

While SORAS-ing can be illogical, I do think he's supposed to be older -- Johnny was around in the days when Michael was Chucky the Red Menace.

Ummm, unless Claudia is not Anthony's daughter? Then yeah. Did they say that her father was someone else?

I thought Johnny's father was Gino Soletio, Tracy's mobster ex from "The City" that got mentioned a crapload for a while there.

• Love 1

Little Spencer can really act. He more than held his own with those adults and sure has a bright future. His real life mother runs his Twitter account and I saw a interesting question. Someone asked who his favorite person to work with is. He said, ummmmm @MauriceBenard and @RyanPaevey. I'm sure Tyler Christopher is thrilled to hear about that. LOL!!!!

Somehow Carly is singing Patrick's praises as being someone Jason would think is good for Sam to move on with and Patrick was being his usual self victimizing self, talking out of both sides of his mouth and doing everything but actually taking responsibility, such a shocker, or actual showing concern for anything beyond getting into Sam's pants.

I'm trying to imagine Jason being like, "Oh, Robin's devastated? Screw her! Sam and Patrick should hook up!!"

And then I'm like, no.

• Love 1

You know, it's kinda too bad that the show didn't take the opportunity yesterday to reset Obrecht to a status that works better for her.  She could have left with Britt and Faison, but still popped back into town cliffhanger-style every so often, wearing fierce hats, and involving herself in Nathan's business.

• Love 8

Actually what really turned me off to Johnny was his conversation about bedding the same women with Sonny. He is clearly 1/2 Sonny's age so that just....no. Plus I read too much here first and expected him to be....prettier..

I don't think he's that good-looking either Cattitude. You can sit at my table. ;)

He's around Lulu/Maxie age, so that puts him like a few years older than Michael if he's 21, not that much older if Micheal is 24. I have no clue how old we are supposed to believe Micheal is. Whatever fits the story because with SK he was 24, but a week or so ago the papers said 21. So they change his age for fellow actors? But Johnny was old enough to date Better Kristina who looked young. Johnny must be 28ish.

No one regarded Kristina/Johnny as appropriate (on the show). Everyone commented on the age difference.

• Love 4
You know, it's kinda too bad that the show didn't take the opportunity yesterday to reset Obrecht to a status that works better for her.  She could have left with Britt and Faison, but still popped back into town cliffhanger-style every so often, wearing fierce hats, and involving herself in Nathan's business.

ICAM.  I get the appeal of Dr. O. She has long worn out her welcome with me, but I get it.

I'm a big believer in, when writing, you create the scenario, the conflict, the situation everyone has to deal with.  It could be as ludicrous as an evil man with a weather machine or an alien landing and needing to find his way back home.

But how everyone reacts to that event? THAT has to be real.  And no one in Port Charles would react the way they are to Dr. O.  There would have been a sick out at the hospital until she was forced to resign or the hospital closed its doors.  No one would have stayed to watch her perform at the nurses ball.  Her daughter, whom she terrorized and chastised nearly all her life for not being a boy, wouldn't, IMHO, cry genuine tears over separating from her.  Dr. O didn't do enough, in my book, to warrant Britt's trust or affection. 

But, again, we can all agree to disagree as to how much effort Dr. O would have to had put in to repairing her relationship with Britt.   But what I can't tolerate is that Anna just shrugs her shoulders and let Dr. O sit at her desk and demand answers from her.  I can't tolerate that Patrick brought Emma to the hospital, where Dr. O -- who yet again -- nearly. murdered. his. wife. -- hangs out.  I can't tolerate that Elizabeth -- or anybody else -- still works for her.

The only logical plot to follow "Dr. O becomes Chief of Staff" is for the staff to rally to get rid of Dr. O. Led, in my dreams, by Monica.  With Patrick ready to do battle.  But instead we get "Man, she's tough!"/ "Yeah, she even shot me once!" jokes. It's, and I'll use this word again, amateurish.

• Love 9
That Johnny guy did not impress me at all

He seemed rather pedestrian to me. I can remember seeing him in a couple of scenes during his original run but he never registered. 

I don't think he's that good-looking either Cattitude. You can sit at my table. ;)

May I join? I brought wine, in a box.

He's no Levi, heh, but to me he's just average. And the hair...it's a no from me.

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell they made him Claudia's kid when she was played by Sarah. I get soap ages and all but unless she had him at four that blew my mind really.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 1

No one regarded Kristina/Johnny as appropriate (on the show). Everyone commented on the age difference.

To be fair Johnny and Kristina didn't really date - they just pretended to.  It was Kristina's idea in order to get back at Sonny for something.  Johnny wasn't on board at first and I don't remember why he eventually gave in.  Anyway, it ended badly when Sonny blew up Kristina and Johnny with the car bomb.

Until watching yesterday's episode, I had forgotten that Johnny had slept with so many of Sonny's women.  As far as the beat down, Sonny had that coming at Johnny's hands plus some.  I remember a lot of the time that Johnny just wanted to be left alone and Sonny just wouldn't do it.  

Edited by Mrs. Stanwyck
  • Love 6