Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

On 3/23/2017 at 0:50 AM, TeeVee329 said:

But as I said, Griffin is already tied to Anna and Robin and Emma, he's been in their orbit since he arrived and they love him and consider him part of their family and vice versa.  I just find the need to cement it with an actual blood relationship pointless and not narratively interesting, especially given all the retconning hoops they'd have to jump through to do it.  And I, in general, find surrogate families on soaps - the people who chose to love and care about each other - more interesting than, "Guess what, I'm your secret son/sister/cousin, let's hang out!".

Yeah, but if I had my choice, I would rather he have an actual blood tie.  It makes a difference and bonds him to Anna and Robin in a more definitive way.  In principle, I agree with you that surrogate families can be just as powerful as blood ties, but in this case, I would like to see Griffin actually tied to vet GH characters in Duke and Anna/Robin.  There are so many newbies on GH that are just "there" and are tied to other newbies.  Griffin is one of the few that I have actually grown to really like, and so it's nice if they would cement him to a vet family.  Is it necessary?  No, but if it happens, I won't be upset about it, even if it requires a stretch of the imagination.  I also kind of like that Olivia is obsessed with him as a Duke surrogate.  It then ties him that piece of GH history.  

Regarding yesterday's episode, I was BORED OUT OF MY MIND.  Wednesday was wonderful, but yesterday was an hour where I wanted to FF through most of it.  The one highlight - Ned and Tracy.  I love them, but I find the couples showcased yesterday boring as all-get-out.  Jasam, Franco and Liz, Jordan and Curtis, and Fin and Hayden.  These four couples are like taking a sedative.  The dialogue is repetitious and the stories go NOWHERE.  I guess if cuddling an infant (Jasam), talking endlessly about the same stuff (Jordan and Curtis and Liz and Franco), going through another round of "You have to get clean" "No, I don't want to" (Hayden and Fin) is gripping television, then I'm sure those who like that stuff found yesterday riveting.  The only thing that saved the show was Ned and Tracy, and she's leaving.  If someone can explain to me how nuJason, Fin, and Franco are more fun, interesting, and deserving of a major storyline over Ned, I am ALL ears.  The only good thing about yesterday's episode besides Ned and Tracy was that they put all the boring couples in the same episode.  So hopefully, we can move on.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 3

And what about poor Lucas (who?).  His only reaction to his new niece was some offhand, mostly doctorly comment while talking with Alexis.  And this could have led to an ON-SCREEN conversation with him and Brad revisiting their discussions about having kids.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Bishop said:

[A blood tie] makes a difference

Tell that to Lucas. Or Valerie. Yes, the actors are recurring, but even when they're on, we rarely see them with family. Lucas at least gets a few mentions now and then by Brad. Valerie gets nothing if she's not onscreen.

With this show, I honestly don't think it makes a difference how people are connected. The show doesn't use them (i.e., the connections [or the characters, for that matter]) properly in the first place.

Edited by dubbel zout
spelling/clarity
  • Love 6

I know that block taping is cheap and that there's nothing FV loves more than cheap, but if it completely undermines the ability to tell good soap stories* - what is the point?

*And after several years of watching FV's GH with two different sets of HW, I'd argue that it does

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 8

[A blood tie] makes a difference

Tell that to Lucas. Or Valerie.

And maybe this is just me, but does a blood tie actually change a viewer's perception of a character anymore?  Even though I typically love Scotty, Franco being his son doesn't make me like Franco anymore.  And my opinion re: Rebecca Budig hasn't really changed now that she's Liz's sister.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

And maybe this is just me, but does a blood tie actually change a viewer's perception of a character anymore?

Not to me, especially when it's an adult character who's shown up. Slapping people together just to give some newbie a tie doesn't suddenly give that newbie stability, IMO. 

With Scott and Franco, I just feel sorry for Scott having to deal with a SERIAL KILLER as a son. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

With Scott and Franco, I just feel sorry for Scott having to deal with a SERIAL KILLER as a son. 

That really felt like a slap to the face since fans have been interested in seeing Serena for years, but Scotty's only allowed to have an on-screen kid because they needed to undo Franco being Jason's twin so it was okay for Carly to bone him or something.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
On 3/24/2017 at 1:40 PM, TeeVee329 said:

And my opinion re: Rebecca Budig hasn't really changed now that she's Liz's sister.

But it's not like they did anything with that tie. It was just a way to tell the audience to shut up about another newbie. I still think RB and BH are more interesting in scenes together than they are with their respective love interests, and I will never not be annoyed by the wasted casting of Hayden's mother looking so much like BH - but if the writers wanted the audience to care about Rebecca Budig character then they should have actually connected her to Liz.

Instead of an irrelevant throwaway blood tie, they should have built a relationship with Liz/Hayden. Even when I don't like Liz, I care what happens to her. She's been around for a long time and she's tied to some of my favorite stories; she matters. And if they wanted Hayden to matter, Liz was the way to make that happen.

And that's not entirely for Hayden's benefit; Liz's only onscreen relationship is with the murderhobo. They have isolated her with a SERIAL KILLER. Even a prickly relationship with Hayden is better than what she has now.

For reasons that I do not understand, these "writers" keep ignoring ties that aren't romantic. Soaps aren't just love scenes and supercouples - and they barely pay lip service to family and friendship ties.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Tell that to Lucas. Or Valerie. Yes, the actors are recurring, but even when they're on, we rarely see them with family. Lucas at least gets a few mentions now and then by Brad. Valerie gets nothing if she's not onscreen.

You completely ignored the other part of my post where I said that surrogates are just as powerful as blood ties but that I preferred a blood tie with Griffin.  It won't make or break his character one way or the other or his tie to Anna and Robin.  It's simply my preference.  Oh, and regarding Valerie, I don't consider her a Spencer.  I never liked the character.  She was a character they just thought up for whatever reason to come between Lulu and Dante, named her a Spencer, and hasn't been utilized since.  She is not a fully fleshed out character at all.  Valerie never really shared any scenes with her "relatives" except for a scene here or there.  Her entire storyarc was about Dante and Lulu - until it wasn't.  In fairness to the character, the writers botched it completely.  They wrote her in a horrible fashion, unapologetic for her actions, blaming the victim, and not getting any comeuppance.  It turned a lot of fans against her, and I don't think she ever recovered as a character.  It's why she's not around.  So it's hard fro me to view her as a blood Spencer.  I agree about Lucas - love him to death - and yes, he's a "blood" relative in my eyes.

With this show, I honestly don't think it makes a difference how people are connected. The show doesn't use them (i.e., the connections [or the characters, for that matter]) properly in the first place.

It's true that it's hit or miss.  I think the bigger problem is that they use the SAME characters over and over again when they have a plethora of characters to pick from that would make the stories richer and deeper in its storytelling.  

• Love 2

Hoo boy, the Finn scenes were a mess. It felt like ME was doing an impression of Bruce Banner trying not to Hulk out. His strained, scrunched up face was so awkward looking. Hayden should have slapped some duct tape over his mouth to shut him up, because he was being seriously nasty.

I'm always irritated that the only one of Liz's kids we see is Jake. I'm not looking for a revival of the Spencer/Cameron/Emma kid scene we got years ago, just an acknowledgment that Liz's other sons are an integral part of the family she's forging with Franco. (And in my dream scenario, Lucky would come back and Cam and Aiden would show loyalty to him, disrupting Franco's domestic bliss.)

I'm so glad we got a coffee kiosk iteration of Carly and Sonny's never ending conversation. Suggestions for their next meet up: the docks, the balcony of the Metro Court, and underneath the bridge.

Alexis staring at a bottle of wine was certainly a riveting way to end the show. The anticipation for Monday's episode will kill me, I'm sure.

• Love 9

Geez-us, today easily could have been a repeat from earlier in the week:

Sonny and Carly have a conversation about the state of their relationship.  AGAIN!

Sam and Jason coo over their baby.  AGAIN!

Dr. Michael Easton is a detoxing asshole.  AGAIN!

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Bishop said:

It's simply my preference.

I get that. I don't think Griffin being a blood relative of Anna and Robin makes much difference.

5 minutes ago, backhometome said:

Curtis and the baby was the best part.

I'm surprised a) no one said Curtis was a natural and would make a good father and b) Jordan didn't walk in and get a look on her face that said that.

The show is really getting its money out of the babies they're using as Scout. Heh.

Finn detoxing is UCG.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 5

So is Liez going to entangle Jason in Jake's storyline now, so that she can find a way back into Jason's bed? He and Sam seem cozy and happy with Baby Sprout now, but will Jake try to get his parents together again when he sees them working on Helena's mystery for Jake? Will Jason have divided loyalties between his two families?

Addiction stories are starting to dominate this soap. Alexis has picked up another bottle, and Finn's drug addiction just drags on.

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
20 minutes ago, backhometome said:

That was cute.  I was working up a head of steam about him getting an on-screen cuddle with Scout versus Kristina, Molly and/or Lucas, but then the Davis Girls got their turn at the end of the episode so I was (heh) Molly-fied.

Relatedly, am I the only one who finds it lame that Kristina (who, btw, I more often hate than like) and Molly have been reduced to this?  They appear every once in a while, talk to Alexis and/or Sam, have a "Davis Girls!" hug, and that's it.  These two should be driving story.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, P3pp3rb1rd said:

So is Liez going to entangle Jason in Jake's storyline now, so that she can find a way back into Jason's bed? He and Sam seem cozy and happy with Baby Sprout now, but will Jake try to get his parents together again when he sees them working on Helena's mystery for Jake? Will Jason have divided loyalties between his two families?

If Liz didn't tell Jason what's going on with Jake she'd be accused of not having him involved in the kid's life.  If Jason can't be a father to Jake because he'll have divided loyalties, that's his problem, not hers.

• Love 6

Sam is remarkably chipper after falling off a footbridge, probably having hypothermia, giving birth outdoors in the snow, and being comatose.  I wish I had her recovery rate.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Sam is remarkably chipper after falling off a footbridge, probably having hypothermia, giving birth outdoors in the snow, and being comatose.  I wish I had her recovery rate.

You forgetting who her husband is? He laid his hands upon her and lo and behold.

• Love 13
40 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Sonny and Carly have a conversation about the state of their relationship.

I enjoyed watching Sonny tell Carly it was all her fault. It's her fault they were apart—she left him because she thought he killed Morgan. How was Sonny supposed to deal with that alone? If they hadn't been apart, he wouldn't have slept with Nelle. 

It's legit entertaining to me when Sonny tries to blame everyone else for his actions. His justifications are always so astonishingly how things hurt him and him alone.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Sam is The Most Beautiful Greatest Strongest Woman Ever To Grace Us. Of course she's happy.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 5

What's up with not showing Cam and Aiden?!  Don't get me wrong, I have always hated that Guza turned Elizabeth into a ONS baby making machine and saw no need to constantly write in BH's real life pregnancies.  However, Cam, Aiden and Jake were always shown when Elizabeth was dating someone new.  

RoHo still looks way too old to be paired with BH.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I enjoyed watching Sonny tell Carly it was all her fault. It's her fault they were apart—she left him because she thought he killed Morgan. How was Sonny supposed to deal with that alone? If they hadn't been apart, he wouldn't have slept with Nelle. 

It's legit entertaining to me when Sonny tries to blame everyone else for his actions. His justifications are always so astonishingly how things hurt him and him alone.

I'd give the writers kudos for knowing who Sonny is, but it just feels like they brushed off the script for when Lulu discovered Dante and Valerie in bed again and re-used it. "How long was I supposed to waaaait."

Yes Carly, your marriage is OVER and you can never be married AGAIN and never again shall Sonny be able to touch you and he won't even be able to send an e-mail.

If they want me to believe that Sonny's guilt even remotely bothers him that much at all, have him have a break down and he needs more than a night with Carly and orange juice to help him.

Billy Miller had a normal smile! He looked cute! See, and everyone said the kill smile was something he couldn't help.

Are we SURE FV likes RoHo and ME? If he actually hates them, then it would make sense why he is letting them wander onto the screen looking the way they do. Although RoHo has been looking a bit better this past week. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Ugh that Sam is thanking Jason for being a parent.

She wasn't around when Mac was everybody's dad. She doesn't know any better - he's basically being compared to her con-man adoptive father, Julian and Sonny.  I think he might've been able to win that competition even when he was "dead".

But I have complained (a lot) about the lack of family stuff, so... good job, writers. 

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 10

Carly loves to yell like a fishwife at Sonny. Did she forget the tender kiss they shared just yesterday? I don't blame him for telling her he isn't going to chase after her anymore, begging for forgiveness. Sonny is Sonny--that is, no prize--but Carly outright abuses him and blames him for all her troubles. She desperately needed a reminder that nobody is perfect. She's even blaming him for her own willful blindness about the goodness of Nell. Sonny is now her whipping boy, and to show his self-respect he must decline to play her game. I don't think she respects him at all, even for dissuading her from killing Liv Jerome.

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, ulkis said:

"How long was I supposed to waaaait."

Yeah, that part was definitely recycled. But Sonny always expects the world to conform to him, so it was in character, at least.

42 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Are we SURE FV likes RoHo and ME? If he actually hates them, then it would make sense why he is letting them wander onto the screen looking the way they do.

Don't be fooled: This is ME's Emmy bait for next year. 

• Love 3

I fast forwarded through like at least 75% of this ep.

Even in ffwd the Finn scenes were giving me way too much second-hand embarrassment. I wish I could enjoy the UCG of them, but ME is just so bad that it just makes me feel weird to watch it.

Curtis holding the baby was adorable. And I loved the scenes with him/Hayden, although I spent most of those scenes laughing at Curtis' sweatshirt and Hayden's hair.

Everything else I watched sucked/was boring.

Edited by peachmangosteen
7 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I'm pretty sure Sonny's threatened to kill Alexis at least once over the years, definitely when she was still defending Julian.

He was UGGGGLY during the early Kristina years.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bishop said:

You completely ignored the other part of my post where I said that surrogates are just as powerful as blood ties but that I preferred a blood tie with Griffin.  It won't make or break his character one way or the other or his tie to Anna and Robin.  It's simply my preference.  Oh, and regarding Valerie, I don't consider her a Spencer.  I never liked the character.  She was a character they just thought up for whatever reason to come between Lulu and Dante, named her a Spencer, and hasn't been utilized since.  She is not a fully fleshed out character at all.  Valerie never really shared any scenes with her "relatives" except for a scene here or there.  Her entire storyarc was about Dante and Lulu - until it wasn't.  In fairness to the character, the writers botched it completely.  They wrote her in a horrible fashion, unapologetic for her actions, blaming the victim, and not getting any comeuppance.  It turned a lot of fans against her, and I don't think she ever recovered as a character.  It's why she's not around.  So it's hard fro me to view her as a blood Spencer.  I agree about Lucas - love him to death - and yes, he's a "blood" relative in my eyes.

It's true that it's hit or miss.  I think the bigger problem is that they use the SAME characters over and over again when they have a plethora of characters to pick from that would make the stories richer and deeper in its storytelling.  

Considering how much more complicated it would be to make Griffin Anna and Robert's son at this point, I think it would be a bad idea. However, considering how the writers seem to thrive on bad ideas (the show, not so much) it could very well happen. Frankly I think making some character you pulled out off your ass the child of some long established character/family months later to justify why you are continuously making the character front and center is the a clear sign you are a lazy writer/producer and the character isn't working as planned. 

I  disagree about Valerie as well. Valerie is a Spencer as was introduced as such, in an even more organic way than Justice Ward came on as a Q. There were originally 3 children Tim and Lena, mentioned as far back as 1978, and  it isn't that strange that one sibling would fall out of touch with the rest of the family for years if not decades. Pat just never came up in conversation again. When FV/RC decided to use that bit of history,  Valerie introduced as Pat's daughter right from the jump, even before we were introduced to Pat, not tacked on later to make her work like Franco and Hayden. It was a great way to introduce a bit more diversity into the canvas. I agree the problem, again, was their lazy execution. They thought the mere fact that Valerie was a Spencer overrode she was a stranger and someone that got off on an incredible bad foot with Luke and Lulu as they inadvertently killed her mother.

Unfortunately, Valerie coming across as such an unapologetic harridan that didn't pay for her action is perfectly in line with her Spencer bloodline. Neither Lulu, Carly, Bobbie or Luke have exhibited much if any remorse to people they victimized in the past, going to far as to feel they were the wronged party, and the entire fucking town supporting their delusions. Nor have any gotten their comeuppance. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Frankly I think making some character you pulled out off your ass the child of some long established character/family months later to justify why you are continuously making the character front and center is the a clear sign you are a lazy writer/producer and the character isn't working as planned. 

And doing it still doesn't make Griffin work. I'm waiting for Matt Cohen to get another job (based on his looks) and then I'll be free of his useless character.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I  disagree about Valerie as well. Valerie is a Spencer as was introduced as such, in an even more organic way than Justice Ward came on as a Q. There were originally 3 children Tim and Lena, mentioned as far back as 1978, and  it isn't that strange that one sibling would fall out of touch with the rest of the family for years if not decades. Pat just never came up in conversation again. When FV/RC decided to use that bit of history,  Valerie introduced as Pat's daughter right from the jump, even before we were introduced to Pat, not tacked on later to make her work like Franco and Hayden. It was a great way to introduce a bit more diversity into the canvas. I agree the problem, again, was their lazy execution. They thought the mere fact that Valerie was a Spencer overrode she was a stranger and someone that got off on an incredible bad foot with Luke and Lulu as they inadvertently killed her mother.

I still think they really screwed up big time killing Pat off so quickly.  She's Luke and Bobbie's fuckin' sister, she represented a fresh branch of the Spencer family tree the show could have done a million things with.  I mean, she didn't need to become a regular character or anything, but they could have kept her in town a few months, bonding with Bobbie, exploring her and Valerie's history with her on-screen versus Valerie crying about random memories on every national holiday, etc.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 11
29 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

And doing it still doesn't make Griffin work. I'm waiting for Matt Cohen to get another job (based on his looks) and then I'll be free of his useless character.

I've never found someone I found this hot so boring. 

52 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

He was UGGGGLY during the early Kristina years.

At the very least, he told her he didn't care if she ended up collateral damage. It was after the marriage I think last year and Sonny came in swinging a poker and smashing everything up. And he said "if you're with this guy you don't get my protection" or whatever.

Jason was nasty as hell to Alexis too at times, which is why BillyJason giving her a kiss on the cheek goodbye cracks me up. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Jason was nasty as hell to Alexis too at times,

Oh, yeah. I remember that REAL well. And look at Samantha doing the same thing her mommy tried to do to her. Everyone is a damn hypocrite.

12 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I've never found someone I found this hot so boring. 

He can't have it all, you know? ;)

• Love 2
19 hours ago, General Days said:

It's so unnecessary. What's also funny though, is they had Olivia say that Griffin doesn't resemble his mother, just his father. Griffin looks way more like Anna than Duke. 

I think that may have been the point/the clue. Griffin doesn't look like his mother because the lady wasn't his mother.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, P3pp3rb1rd said:

I was shocked at the weight the lizard has put on. Hayden could hardly grab her around her ample middle when chasing the creature. Can we body-shame animals here? 'Cause Roxie needs to be put on a protein diet of crickets ASAP. She's obviously been hanging out in the Green Room next to the snack table of donuts.

She's depressed.   She can't handle GH anymore than we can.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, backhometome said:

Jason and Curtis had an angsty break up.

lol at the schmaltzy music playing when Curtis left the penthouse.  Too bad the whole "we can't be friends if you're going to be law-abiding" is so stupid.  So, Jason just doesn't like cops even though he's supposedly not a criminal anymore.  Whatever.

worst part of today was Kristina's constant bitchface.  Best part was Molly's hair.  It's got some of the old magical qualities of OG Kate's.

• Love 4

Today was a big ol' pile of meh. 

Fuck off, Sonny. Always. It is mind boggling at his rationalizations. He is good. BUT Ava, Olivia and Julian are bad. For doing the same shit. And his lies about Nell are all Carly's fault. Sure. Keep telling yourself that asshole.

Meh, on the Davis coven. The Julian rewrite is well under way. But yes, Molly's hair was fantastic.

Babies are not my weakness. So, meh to Curtis, Jason and Sam. If Danny had just gotten a puppy, it could've been a different story.

Franco and Liz, ew. Always. 

Scenes from tomorrow,  fuck off Jason. If you can marry a woman who allowed baby Jake to be kidnapped by a crazy woman, Liz can date a "cured" Franco. 

• Love 9

I can fan wank Sam's stance on Sonny's death threats to Alexis. Sam knows Sonny can't do shit right so Alexis is never in any real danger when it comes to him.

Scout continues to be my happy place. She got Curtis and Davis Girl love.

Kristina is a blunt mess. Glad she gave Alexis the business today about Julian. No baby sitting for Grandma if she drinks again. Scout can't be burnt cookies.

Jason and Curtis need to hurry up and makeup. They are miles better than Season.

Those years in the egg did Jason wonders. He respects his mother in law now, listens to his wife and is a doting father. Sam should have shot him on purpose years ago.

• Love 13
21 hours ago, P3pp3rb1rd said:

Addiction stories are starting to dominate this soap. Alexis has picked up another bottle, and Finn's drug addiction just drags on.

Jason IS the one that took the CI book from Elizabeth and said he would look into what happened with Jake.  Elizabeth and Jason share a son and she clearly has moved on with that nasty old greasy serial killing rapist.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, General Days said:

Except Sonny. I hate Sonny for existing at this point. Sometimes, I catch myself unconsciously giving him the finger while I'm watching his scenes.

Whew, at least I'm not the only one, although at this point it's a conscious decision. I even go further and give him the British version with the 2 finger salute, then I go thru as many Italian gestures I can remember including some Italian curse words and I'm not even Italian.

Yesterday/Friday's show was a complete and utter snoozefest to me. I would think Sonny was trying to use reverse psychology on Carly if it was someone else, this Sonny doesn't know what reverse psychology is IMO.

Ummm, yeah, Molly's hair was the highlight for me. Babies are cute but I'd rather see a dog or even better, a cat. A cat that hisses and intimidates Sonny. That would make me happy.

• Love 6