Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

Bless these people who will live in places like Hoboken, where they pay ridiculous amounts of money for tiny places with no parking and no yard in a region with crappy weather. It means they are there and not in places where I want to live, driving prices up. 

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ottis said:

Bless these people who will live in places like Hoboken, where they pay ridiculous amounts of money for tiny places with no parking and no yard in a region with crappy weather. It means they are there and not in places where I want to live, driving prices up. 

Well, they're not there now you mean.  I have friends who live in small towns in NY and they tell me that lots of folks from NYC are coming there, driving prices up.  There's not much you can do about it, except live in a cave I guess.

I don't know about Hoboken, but I would never want to live in a place where I had to drive to buy a quart of milk; I mean what happens to people when you get too old or too sick to drive?  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Washington DC girl...Ugh!!! She was trying way too hard. Whenever she spoke,  it sounded like she was reading off cue cards...she didn't sound natural at all. And why was she pointing to EVERYTHING?!  At least have a nice manicure if you're going to point to EVERYTHING.  I wishher friend was the house hunter... She had a way better personality. 

I would have went with house 2. House 1 would have been eliminated immediately when I saw the neighbors deck literally up against the dining room window.  The realtor told her just to shut the blinds. Seriously?! You could never open that window , not only because of the lack of privacy, but the noise.  And what if they smoke out there?  No thanks.  

• Love 3

I liked the friend too (although, girl, you are on TV. Buy a better wig). This was one of the more obvious "we are acting" episodes, but at least the friend was having fun with it & wasn't so wooden.

I knew she'd take the first place; everything was good except the outdoor space thing - but that would have been a deal-breaker for me. The deck is RIGHT outside her window. I guess she'll use her own deck to entertain for as long as she can, weather permitting.

• Love 4

Yup! The neighbor deck is way tooooooooooooooooo close to her window. Not only could you never open it but you would have to have the blinds down 24/7. I wouldn't even given that house a 2nd look. Then again, she is young and she'll survive till she's in her 30's and get a bigger place.

• Love 3

DC girl's friend was nice but thought she got way too much talking time.  The realtor just looked and acted like another one of the friends, not a real realtor.  I wasn't impressed with any of the places, but the first place looked like it was in the Alexandria neighborhood where I used to live, with a lot of nice, brick WWII developments.  I couldn't believe the HOA fee though.  That seemed pretty high and I wonder what she's getting.  Even if there's a swimming pool and tennis court, it still shouldn't be that high for the usual stuff like trash and snow removal and lawn care. She'll probably live there a few years and then move on. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Washington DC girl...Ugh!!! She was trying way too hard. Whenever she spoke,  it sounded like she was reading off cue cards...she didn't sound natural at all. And why was she pointing to EVERYTHING?!  At least have a nice manicure if you're going to point to EVERYTHING.  I wishher friend was the house hunter... She had a way better personality. 

I would have went with house 2. House 1 would have been eliminated immediately when I saw the neighbors deck literally up against the dining room window.  The realtor told her just to shut the blinds. Seriously?! You could never open that window , not only because of the lack of privacy, but the noise.  And what if they smoke out there?  No thanks.  

This girl liked nothing.  I really thought this episode would end with her deciding to keep looking.  Carpeting was bad for her allergies, the pattern on the granite countertops was too busy, the backsplash was ugly, the house wasn't colonial enough, and on and on.  And - OMG - the window in the shower!  There are absolutely no solutions to that!

Why would they even design a condo complex with a deck next to an adjoining apartment?  Never seen anything like that.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Albino said:

This girl liked nothing.  I really thought this episode would end with her deciding to keep looking.  Carpeting was bad for her allergies, the pattern on the granite countertops was too busy, the backsplash was ugly, the house wasn't colonial enough, and on and on.  And - OMG - the window in the shower!  There are absolutely no solutions to that!

Why would they even design a condo complex with a deck next to an adjoining apartment?  Never seen anything like that.

I thought it was astute of the friend to note that the HH was nervous about making such a big purchase and so was finding reasons to drag out the process. She said the HH looked online for many months before she even started visiting houses in person. (I remember because she said the HH would say she was "feeling out the market" and the friend was like "This has been a long groping process, let's go already!" I laughed at that.)

I wonder if the HH's condo is an end unit and they just kind of ... ran out of building room, and that's how she ended up with her neighbor's deck outside her window? Because if ALL the units had decks that were right up against adjoining apartments, I feel like the building would sit empty.

• Love 1
On ‎06‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:32 AM, laredhead said:

I could not believe the price on that first place in Hoboken.  If I had been the buyer, I would not have even finished touring the house.  I don't care how historical the street was or if it had street parking, it was awful.  I thought the 3rd house was the best one and I figured they would buy it instead of the church condo, which I did not like at all.  Spiral staircases and I do not get along, especially since I have gotten older and less sure footed.  

I actually liked the first place the most, except for the tiny bathroom, but it was definitely the wrong place for them.

Came here to find out which place DC girl picked- my DVR cut off at 28 mins so I missed the reveal!  I knew it would be #1.  Very bland and typical.  Any idea where in MD they were looking?  As far as I could tell, they just said "maryland" and not WHERE in MD!  

I actually really enjoyed the Hoboken ep and learned a lot!  Had no idea prices there and in Jersey City were that high.   I guess it makes sense given the proximity to the city, but I never thought about it before!  The first place was so ugly, I felt bad at how expensive it was.  The church place was interesting, but I would never go for that complete lack of outdoor space and a door and fire escape on my toddler's bedroom, which was far away from the parents'!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, awaken said:

Came here to find out which place DC girl picked- my DVR cut off at 28 mins so I missed the reveal!  I knew it would be #1.  Very bland and typical.  Any idea where in MD they were looking?  As far as I could tell, they just said "maryland" and not WHERE in MD!  

Yeah, I was wondering where in Maryland too.  It seemed mighty strange that they wouldn't say where.  I wasn't impressed with any of the choices though.

Will someone please explain to me the mindset of the Chicago couple.  They wanted out of their loft because it was too small and their baby had a lot of stuff, as all babies do.  So they buy a place that is even smaller than their loft.  The kitchen has NO cabinets, and from the looks of it,  they weren't planning on installing any.  The ONLY closet in the whole place was in the kitchen??  Now, if I'm understanding it, they are going to rent that floor out for temporary housing (I'm assuming an airbnb type thing).  Then they are moving in downstairs in six months because currently it is being renting out. And we didn't even get to see the downstairs unit so...huh? They are living back at their loft which now seems very spacious compared to their new place. 

They were a nice couple and their baby was soooo cute, but this had to be one of the dumbest episodes I have ever seen and I've been watching HH since the dawn of time. 

• Love 7

I didn't get it either. (I was also under the impression that you can't call something a bedroom if it doesn't have a closet.) And they were also such physically large people (she was 5'11", he was 6'8" & as she said, their son is going to be a giant), I'd think the small bedroom sizes would be a legit issue. When they said they could fit a queen-sized bed in the master, I was like "But y'all don't fit in a queen-sized bed!" 

I wondered if the renovations to the first-floor unit meant they were going to combine it with the second floor unit like we've seen some people do on Renovations, because otherwise that made no sense. It's like that Texas couple with a son who complained that they'd outgrown their apartment and then bought a house that was smaller than that apartment.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought after the Chicago episode was over, that the couple never intended to buy a single family home.  Seemed to me that they both were on the rental income track all along, but never said that.  The ridiculous single family house was a decoy.  There was no way that man was going to fit in that little house.  1100 sq feet total with low ceilings and a basement he couldn't even stand up in was awful.  They can always rent out the bottom unit and build a single family house on the empty lot next door, but maybe they need to sell the lot to get a chunk of cash to renovate the bottom floor or combine the 2 units and live in that place.   Who knows?  We may see them in a future HH Renovation episode. 

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 2

The DC girl was looking in Alexandria VA.  I thought the place she chose was not the best, with the neighbors right on top of her.  I thought the house was a good idea.  

Did not get the Chicago couple at all, but their baby was absolutely adorable. I thought the converted two flat was a great choice and within their budget.  The single family bungalow needed so much work.  It looked like it needed to be totally gutted.  I couldn't believe they chose the third house.   According to law, I thought a bedroom could only be called a bedroom if it had a closet?  How did that room in the third house qualify as a bedroom?  Even the agent kind of poo-poo'd when the man said this room doesn't have a closet.  That house was so nasty looking with the bad carpet and the really bad basement.  

• Love 2

I know DC girl was looking in Alexandria, but as awaken said, they also saw a house somewhere in Maryland.  At least that's what the voiceover said.  I know we didn't mishear that. 

On 6/16/2016 at 3:51 PM, KLovestoShop said:

According to law, I thought a bedroom could only be called a bedroom if it had a closet?  How did that room in the third house qualify as a bedroom?  Even the agent kind of poo-poo'd when the man said this room doesn't have a closet.  That house was so nasty looking with the bad carpet and the really bad basement.  

Not necessarily:

http://sacramentoappraisalblog.com/2014/09/09/the-4-requirements-for-a-room-to-be-considered-a-bedroom/

I LOVED the Michigan cottage couple! They were so nice to each other. They seemed genuinely happy and happy to be around each other all the time (personally and professionally). I loved they wanted their kids to see all 50 states before graduation. I'm assuming Alaska and Hawaii were left on the list since they couldn't drive there. 

They didn't ask for granite and ss appliances, etc...they actually wanted the opposite of new and updated.  I understand her reasoning for not wanting to rent the cottage out so I thought renting out the motorhome was a smart compromise. 

I wish we could see more couples like this instead of these young, entitled, selfish twentysomething brats.

• Love 6

Yes, enjoyed the Michigan episode!  Beautiful cottage, loved that 1910 one and glad they chose it!

I had to laugh at the husband strongly emphasizing the need for privacy and a bedroom FAR AWAY from the children.  One couldn't help but wonder what all he was planning to do in it!  

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay I'm 10 minutes into this new episode of the Boyton Beach couple Shawn & Astrid and I want to punch both of them in the throat.

Edited by Albino

I know that most of this show is fake, but I still get upset with episodes like the one tonight.  The couple gives the realtor their list of "must haves", and yet the realtor proceeds to show them 2 houses that have no garage, one that has no pool or outdoor space, and they are all under 1600 square feet.  If I had a realtor who wasted my time showing me houses that did not have most of what I wanted, then I would find a new realtor.  The husband just had to have a garage, so naturally they purchase one of the properties that did not have a garage, but plan to add on to the house.  What do they add? Not a garage, but instead a larger bathroom with a large dressing area.  Huh?  Yes, the master bath was small, but the entire house was small which they kept saying.  You're looking at a 1400 sf house with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, so of course it's going to have small rooms.  Either up your budget or reduce your wish list.   

• Love 2

The Michigan couple really were a breath of fresh air.  No snark, lots of positive comments to balance the small things they didn't like. I hope they are happy with their new place.

• Love 2

I loved the Michigan episode!  My fiance's mom has a cottage in Holland which we use on weekends, so I am very familiar with that beach on Lake Michigan that they showed, as well as the lighthouse, which is called Big Red.  The eastern side of Lake Michigan has amazing beaches because the prevailing winds are westerly, so the sand all gets pushed to the eastern side, and it is soft, white, powdery sand.  That side has much nicer beaches than we do in Chicago.

I am also very familiar with the uninsulated, unfinished, historic cottages in that area.  I laughed and laughed when the husband mentioned the barely there fireplace mantel in the first house as compared to the more chunky mantel in the second place.  I always notice the mantel in our cottage and wonder why they were so chintzy with it when it was built.  I also laughed out loud at the "spice rack" in the kitchen that consisted of a cabinet door with the "shelves" being built in between the wall studs.  We have those in the bathroom! 

That 1910 cottage will be great for the family.  They won't have to worry about the kids messing up the floors or getting it dirty, and they will love that screened porch in the evening when the mosquitoes come out. 

I was disappointed that none of the micro-brew pubs were featured when they showed the charming downtown Holland.  We picked up a Western Michigan brochure last year that invited visitors to come to Michigan for their "beer-cation."

• Love 2
(edited)

I also loved the Michigan couple.  They were a breath of fresh air from the types we generally see on this show.  I had to laugh when they were talking about the kids having a place to have their friends over and the wife said something about 'maybe we could have friends over too' and he replies 'do we have friends?'  (paraphrasing here, not a direct quote).  So very different from all the couples who are entertaining non stop for all their friends and family!

Edited by AlleC17
  • Love 5

I found Shawn and Astrid in Florida pretty insufferable. He just came across as a real know-it-all (and I was distracted by his red under eye "bags".) Her emphatic "We've worked hard and we're going to get what we want" didn't seem to jibe with their ($ 275K?) budget. But what else is new...

• Love 4

Yeah Shawn really does need to do something about those red under eye bags.  The way Astrid was going on about their needs/wants, one would have thought they had at least a $1 million budget.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, magemaud said:

Her emphatic "We've worked hard and we're going to get what we want" didn't seem to jibe with their ($ 275K?) budget. But what else is new...

The sense of entitlement was ridiculous.  I can completely understand an older couple...say, in their 50's or so....saying that but from these thirtysomethings?  How long have they really worked...like 10 or 15 years tops?   Only 30 more to go!

• Love 5

Only 30 more to go!

Yeah, if they are lucky. I worked hard and saved my whole career to retire in a house of my dreams at age 66. Not in my wildest dreams (and without a lottery win) would I have expected to have what I wanted while in my 30's.

• Love 2

I absolutely hate it when couples walk into a house and say "It's not my taste. It's not something I would have picked."   No shit Sherlock.  This isn't YOUR house. I wanted to slap the Florida couple because the wife kept saying that.  I always scream at them, " Take your freaking $275,000 and build your own house. See what that amount will get you, you spoiled Millennials". 

• Love 6

I know some people like to save money by selling the house themselves, but I could never do that.  I could never show my house myself, because if some of these whiny, entitled buyers walked into my place and started complaining, I would very calmly tell them to get the fuck out of my house, and it would never get sold.  

• Love 9

I wonder if the woman on last night's episode thought about all of the upkeep that a Victorian style house needs.  The outside was wood, and a paint job on that place is going to cost a lot of money when it's time to repaint.  I bet the utility bills are sky high in that place in the winter too.  If I had never owned a house before and know what I do about now, that house would not be on my short list to purchase.  All I saw was a life long money pit. 

• Love 4

Plus, it was just her and her daughter so she's probably going to have to pay someone for even minor repairs.  I'm not saying she and her daughter couldn't do some of them, but that house was so big until I think they would still need help for maintenance and repairs. 

• Love 1

I got the feeling Nutella (or whatever the heck the daughter's name was) isn't going to be any help when it comes to upkeep or repairs. I didn't understand why they didn't both plan to move upstairs to the nicer unit and rent out the less updated one, fixing it up over time as the rental income came in. The downstairs unit was certainly livable and I don't think tenants would be very fussy about finishes, etc. so the rent charged would reflect that. Later on they could move downstairs once they got things updated to their standards. I was also amazed at the price of housing in Springfield MA! 

• Love 5

I missed the 10 minutes or so of the show so maybe I missed something, but I couldn't understand why they wanted to buy a house large enough for a rental space.  Why not just buy a smaller home for less money for her and her daughter?  

• Love 1

We might see these homes sooner rather than later.  HGTV has some wealthy fans and WDW will happily sponsor the episode.  Get ready for a few "happiest place on earth" commercials.

The producers will use one of the WDW community realtors and one of their actual buyers.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:47 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I am hoping against all hope that HH will go to the new community on the property of Walt Disney World and do some home shopping there.  I just saw the homes in that place and I cannot believe how amazing, and terribly expensive they are.  Even if the producers make up the entire story, and the people don't buy a house, just to see the interiors of those homes would be great House Porn.  Houses start at $2 million and go up from there.  The amenities are incredible to go with the prices.  

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:14 PM, ByaNose said:

If these are the ones you are talking about they are very small. LOL!!!

http://greatideas.people.com/2016/04/12/disney-world-orlando-homes-sale-golden-oaks/

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:01 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Yep, those are the ones.  Don't expect to see any HH to have the budget for those homes.  I can see it now, a couple with a $3 million budget complaining about the size of the kitchen, or the color of the granite. 

We might see these homes sooner rather than later.  HGTV has some wealthy fans and WDW will happily sponsor the episode.  Get ready for a few "happiest place on earth" commercials.

The producers will use one of the WDW community realtors and one of their actual buyers.  So, no need to bend the rules and feature an episode sans buyer / closed sale.

• Love 3

Lakey (FL vacation home buyer from LA) was a gorgeous woman - I definitely agree.  Here's the thing, however:  baby, if you have to tell me you're sexy, then you ain't!  Might have been a bit of truth to her friend's cutting remark about the 2nd sink for her "future ex-husband".

Not surprised she didn't buy in Mexico.  I'm not from LA but have done major projects down there.  They receive more news updates about the unrest south of the border.  Plus, she had major ties to the east coast.

Interesting that her son didn't appear as either a visitor or buying buddy.  Guess he didn't need or want the free trip to FL.  Camera shy?  We'll never know!

• Love 1

I missed the 10 minutes or so of the show so maybe I missed something, but I couldn't understand why they wanted to buy a house large enough for a rental space.  Why not just buy a smaller home for less money for her and her daughter?  

The third house exactly fit the bill-single family-under budget and fussy Nutella liked it, but her mother nixed the idea because she claimed she REALLY wanted a rental property to help with expenses. Maybe she's planning to apply to "Income Property" as a crossover episode. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

The third house exactly fit the bill-single family-under budget and fussy Nutella liked it, but her mother nixed the idea because she claimed she REALLY wanted a rental property to help with expenses. Maybe she's planning to apply to "Income Property" as a crossover episode. 

Thanks.  If she really needs rental income to pay for expenses, that seems all the more reason to buy a smaller, less expensive house.  What if the renter is late some' months, or leaves after the lease expires and it takes her a couple of months to rent it out again.  In the meantime there's no rental income.  It just sounds to me as if she's skating on thin ice.

Did she really name her daughter after a condiment?

Edited by Ohwell
(edited)
2 hours ago, roseslg said:

I miss Income Property :(.  I don't have DYI.  It's in a different tier of cable.  Damn Time Warner!

I miss it too!  But you're not missing anything...it hasn't been on my DYI in months now.  I hope it's because they're filming new shows.

And yeah...it's just as fake as all the other shows but Scott McGilligravywhirlygig is so damn charming and good looking.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 3

I was irrationally annoyed by Toledo wife's annoyance at the small bedrooms in house #2. A 3 BR 1500 square foot house is gonna have small rooms.

Toledo is damn near free! I scoffed at the $100K budget, but I admit I didn't know how cheap Toledo is.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Toledo is damn near free! I scoffed at the $100K budget, but I admit I didn't know how cheap Toledo is.

I don't either but their 'must have' list for $100K included open concept (because she has to have her 2 boys in eyesight at all times), water view, fenced back yard, and I think 2 family rooms?  I mean, it was really sad.  In their old house they couldn't really fit everyone in their living room at their kid's birthday party.  Not sure how they managed with those pesky birthdays coming once a year.

The first Toledo house was incredible - incredibly bad!  That bathroom was about the ugliest I have ever seen on HH in all the years I have watched the show.  Yes, once again, a math challenged buyer just cannot seem to figure out why at 1,500 sf house with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a living room, dining room, kitchen and another room has small rooms.  I thought they would buy the ranch style with the big yard and add on to the house later.  Maybe the location wasn't that great.  You can add on to a house, but you can't add on to the yard.  The kitchen in that 3rd house was a disaster.  I don't know why they didn't go ahead and knock out half of that wall between the kitchen and dining room at the same time they removed some cabinets to make room for the refrigerator.  That would have given her a sight line into the dining area so she could watch the kids.  Even if they couldn't do the finish work on it at the time, it certainly couldn't look much worse that the rest of the kitchen.  There were some very unattractive colors by the previousl owners in that house.

Anyone familiar with the real estate market in Toledo?  Is the city in an economic depression because house prices seem to be very cheap?   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, laredhead said:

I thought they would buy the ranch style with the big yard and add on to the house later.  Maybe the location wasn't that great.  You can add on to a house, but you can't add on to the yard. 

IKR? But knowing their house-buying budget I have the feeling their reno budget would be about $6000 LOL.

• Love 1

I was born and raised in Toledo and thankfully our family moved away when I was 12, but most of my cousins still live in the area, but not in Toledo proper. My parent's first house in 1962 was $14,000, but in a nice, safe neighborhood.  The neighborhood where I was born was on the East Side and was mostly Hungarian immigrants.  We moved from that area when mom and dad bought their first house.  But since the auto industry in Detroit tanked, and Toledo was a big part of the auto industry, the city has been dying a slow death. Toledo proper has seen a downgrade in many neighborhoods with a lot of places being dangerous.  Major shopping malls have closed with only one real mall left--Franklin Park.  Our old neighborhood on the East Side has gotten really bad with most of the houses falling into disrepair. There is no real downtown anymore as all the wonderful department stores have long gone (and believe me, those stores were absolutely beautiful).   There are some very nice suburbs outside Toledo like Perrysburg, Holland, Genoa and Sylvannia, but Toledo proper is lacking.  Average income is only $31,700 and median home price is $79,000. 

As for the couple, I always get frustrated when people with tiny budgets seem to want the house to look like ones that cost $300,000.  I wasn't surprised by the house they chose. And what is it with these helicopter moms who have to see their kids at every moment of the day?  

• Love 3