Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E17: Broken Records

• Start Topic

Who said posting pics was a requirement? Of course you don't have to. My point is that Vicki's behavior vis a vis Brooks' cancer is uncharacteristic. I'm not talking about you or me or anyone else's experience with cancer or chemotherapy or illness - just Vicki. And no, Brooks did not ask for privacy. Quite the opposite, in fact. He and Vicki made the choice to make his alternative choice to chemo a storyline on the show, not to mention putting their Club Detox miracle elixir up for sale. It's all out there for public sonsumption. Not because of Meghan, PI, or because viewers are nosy, or because anyone broke HIPAA laws. But because Vicki and Brooks put it out there. Yes, we're talking about them, but not in the way they intended.

Seriously, he can't claim he wanted "privacy" after giving interviews about it before filming began or that he/Vicki frequently talked about his cancer/treatment ON camera during filming. It would never been a storyline on the show, had Brooks/Vicki not talked about it ON camera.

• Love 8

Seriously, he can't claim he wanted "privacy" after giving interviews about it before filming began or that he/Vicki frequently talked about his cancer/treatment ON camera during filming. It would never been a storyline on the show, had Brooks/Vicki not talked about it ON camera.

IKR? He wanted to serve as an inspiration and example for others in regards to alternative cancer treatment. Just like Shannon and David are doing in publicly showing their marriage woes/affair/therapy. /Eye roll.

• Love 6

The Importance of Privacy

There are a variety of reasons for placing a high value on protecting the privacy, confidentiality, and security of health information (reviewed by Pritts, 2008). Some theorists depict privacy as a basic human good or right with intrinsic value (Fried, 1968; Moore, 2005; NRC, 2007a; Terry and Francis, 2007). They see privacy as being objectively valuable in itself, as an essential component of human well-being. They believe that respecting privacy (and autonomy) is a form of recognition of the attributes that give humans their moral uniqueness.

The more common view is that privacy is valuable because it facilitates or promotes other fundamental values, including ideals of personhood (Bloustein, 1967; Gavison, 1980; Post, 2001; Solove, 2006; Taylor, 1989; Westin, 1966) such as:

Personal autonomy (the ability to make personal decisions)

Individuality

Respect

Dignity and worth as human beings

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK9579/

• Love 2

IKR? He wanted to serve as an inspiration and example for others in regards to alternative cancer treatment. Just like Shannon and David are doing in publicly showing their marriage woes/affair/therapy. /Eye roll.

The difference being Shannon and David truly did have a major crisis in their marriage and now that we know the outcome we can judge and snark about their methods.  Brooks on the other hand has put a few different stories out there.  I hope no one gives up chemo for Brooks' regimen. 

• Love 4

The Importance of Privacy

There are a variety of reasons for placing a high value on protecting the privacy, confidentiality, and security of health information (reviewed by Pritts, 2008). Some theorists depict privacy as a basic human good or right with intrinsic value (Fried, 1968; Moore, 2005; NRC, 2007a; Terry and Francis, 2007). They see privacy as being objectively valuable in itself, as an essential component of human well-being. They believe that respecting privacy (and autonomy) is a form of recognition of the attributes that give humans their moral uniqueness.

The more common view is that privacy is valuable because it facilitates or promotes other fundamental values, including ideals of personhood (Bloustein, 1967; Gavison, 1980; Post, 2001; Solove, 2006; Taylor, 1989; Westin, 1966) such as:

Individuality

Respect

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK9579/

Yes, Privacy can be very important BUT, one does NOT go on a "Reality" TV show that is based on OTT DRAMA and then whine about no one respecting your privacy. If Brooks wanted "privacy" then he should have kept his mouth closed about his cancer and any treatment he chose. JMO

• Love 12

Yes, Privacy can be very important BUT, one does NOT go on a "Reality" TV show that is based on OTT DRAMA and then whine about no one respecting your privacy. If Brooks wanted "privacy" then he should have kept his mouth closed about his cancer and any treatment he chose. JMO

The right to health information privacy is afforded to every citizen of the United States, whether or not the citizen is on reality TV or not.

It is not my opinion.

It is The Law.

• Love 2

Individuality

Respect

There are probably a thousand references available regarding the importance of privacy but none of them apply to reality TV participants.  Let's not forget what we learned from the HW's contract included in Tamra and Simon's divorce documents.   HW Contract Clause

“My appearance, depiction and portrayal in connection with the Series, and my actions and the actions of others in connection with the Series, may be disparaging, defamatory, embarrassing, or of an otherwise unfavorable nature, may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation or condemnation, and may portray me in a false light.”

Vicki  and Brooks made a "personal decision" to agree to Bravo's terms and sold their "dignity and worth" for fame and money.  Respect is earned and neither of them have earned mine.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 13

But yet again, we must be reminded that no one on this show stole his health information. That is what the law is concerned with, not some fame-hungry heifer and his/her boytoy/gf (I couldn't figure out which was which after I started typing. It fits Vicky and what's his name).

Nobody stole anything except hours of my time watching this drivel.

Brooks could have just said nothing. But that's just not possible for him and Vicky.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 9

The right to health information privacy is afforded to every citizen of the United States, whether or not the citizen is on reality TV or not.

It is not my opinion.

It is The Law.

The only information about Brooks cancer/treatment is what he and Vicki have put out there. No one has released any medical or health information about Brooks at all. Meghan called a Dr., who Brooks told her/them about, and asked if they treat NHL/cancer and was told no, she called to see if PET scans are done at a specific Imaging Center and was told no, she contacted an ex girlfriend who has claimed Brooks lied about cancer in the past but she has NOT revealed any medical information nor did she find out any of his medical information. Has Meghan crossed a MORAL line, YES...BUT she has not done anything ILLEGAL.  So I ask, what medical information about Brooks has been revealed ON camera or in an interview that he did not say ON camera or in an interview himself first?

• Love 13

There are probably a thousand references available regarding the importance of privacy but none of them apply to reality TV participants. Let's not forget what we learned from the HW's contract included in Tamra and Simon's divorce documents. HW Contract Clause

“My appearance, depiction and portrayal in connection with the Series, and my actions and the actions of others in connection with the Series, may be disparaging, defamatory, embarrassing, or of an otherwise unfavorable nature, may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation or condemnation, and may portray me in a false light.”

Vicki and Brooks made a "personal decision" to agree to Bravo's terms and sold their "dignity and worth" for fame and money. Respect is earned and neither of them have earned mine.

Your post has nothing to do with health information privacy.

The only information about Brooks cancer/treatment is what he and Vicki have put out there. No one has released any medical or health information about Brooks at all. Meghan called a Dr., who Brooks told her/them about, and asked if they treat NHL/cancer and was told no, she called to see if PET scans are done at a specific Imaging Center and was told no, she contacted an ex girlfriend who has claimed Brooks lied about cancer in the past but she has NOT revealed any medical information nor did she find out any of his medical information. Has Meghan crossed a MORAL line, YES...BUT she has not done anything ILLEGAL. So I ask, what medical information about Brooks has been revealed ON camera or in an interview that he did not say ON camera or in an interview himself first?

I never said anyone's health information was shown.

Where did you get that idea?

I never said anyone's health information was shown.

Where did you get that idea?

From your post back to me. I ask again, what Medical information did Meghan or anyone on the show reveal about Brooks?

• Love 5

Health information privacy is not the topic of this discussion.  We're discussing an episode of RHOC.  

No one violated Brooks' privacy.  He disclosed it for $$$$$

• Love 12

But yet again, we must be reminded that no one on this show stole his health information. That is what the law is concerned with, not some fame-hungry heifer and his/her boytoy/gf (I couldn't figure out which was which after I started typing. It fits Vicky and what's his name).

Nobody stole anything except hours of my time watching this drivel.

Brooks could have just said nothing. But that's just not possible for him and Vicky.

I don't know if any health info was stolen or not, but Meghan appears to have gotten dangerously close to trying. At minimum.

There were certain cast members who strongly encouraged the release of private medical records on the show. Now, there are people on various websites who seem to feel entitled to a certain someone's private health information.

Edited by Scrambled Fog
  • Love 1

It is not my opinion.

It is The Law.

What?! Signing on to a reality show, and choosing your health issues as a storyline, is the exact opposite of wanting things in your life to be private.

In regard to The Law, Ann's link to the clause in HW's contracts pertaining to public embarrassment and degradation addresses and provides answers to their legal rights vis a vis their privacy and the show.

• Love 6

It is not my opinion.

It is The Law.

Brooks' private health information becomes public if he sues Meghan. Sorry he can't have it both ways.  Anything he shared with Terry is no longer private.  The doctor who we saw talk about his scan Brooks waived privilege.  This is not Farrah Fawcett and people being paid for her personal information.  This is Brooks dancing around his privilege.  We have no idea if Brooks waived privilege in his consent to film release.

I don't know if any health info was stolen or not, but Meghan appears to have gotten dangerously close to trying. At minimum.

There were certain cast members who strongly encouraged the release of private medical records on the show. Now, there are people on various websites who seem to feel entitled to a certain someone's private health information.

Meghan was very clear she was going to use legal means to determine the veracity of Brooks claims.  She has never on air tried to get his personal records. 

• Love 3

There's an interesting piece on The Inquisitr with quotes from an oncologist about Brooks' CT scan report.

She said that the document doesn't prove Brooks has cancer.

Inquisitr

She is critical of the report, saying that any transcription formatting issues that may occur are corrected before given to the patient.   She also said it was odd for a report to have so many typos, e.g., em instead of cm and ‘mesentery vessels’ rather than mesenteric vessels.

• Love 2

It is not my opinion.

It is The Law.

I wonder, If you sign a contract to appear on a Bravo reality TV show can you be sued for saying I no longer wish to answer any questions about my cancer treatment at some time during filming? If Brooks would have clearly asked the ladies to stop asking him cancer related questions could he have been sued for breach of contract.

Had Vicki told the HW she no longer wished to discuss Brooks' cancer treatment would she have been sued by BRAVO for breach of contract?

In other words do HIPPA laws transcend what's in a BRAVO contract?

• Love 1

Brooks' private health information becomes public if he sues Meghan. Sorry he can't have it both ways. Anything he shared with Terry is no longer private. The doctor who we saw talk about his scan Brooks waived privilege. This is not Farrah Fawcett and people being paid for her personal information. This is Brooks dancing around his privilege. We have no idea if Brooks waived privilege in his consent to film release.

Meghan was very clear she was going to use legal means to determine the veracity of Brooks claims. She has never on air tried to get his personal records.

I'm no expert, but I am guessing there is something in the Bravo contracts which prevent cast members from suing each other. That is just a guess.

I don't trust anything that comes out of Meghan PI's mouth.

That woman has serious boundary issues.

ETA

I would have to know the specifics of the possible lawsuit against Meghan to agree or disagree with you.

Edited by Scrambled Fog
  • Love 1

I wonder, If you sign a contract to appear on a Bravo reality TV show can you be sued for saying I no longer wish to answer any questions about my cancer treatment at some time during filming? If Brooks would have clearly asked the ladies to stop asking him cancer related questions could he have been sued for breach of contract.

Had Vicki told the HW she no longer wished to discuss Brooks' cancer treatment would she have been sued by BRAVO for breach of contract?

I don't think HIPPA laws come into play here at all.  No one has violated HIPPA.

As for refusing to answer questions, etc.,  I doubt Bravo would sue them.  It's costly and time consuming.   They would just fire them and they wouldn't get paid.

• Love 9

Read this-

Employers and Health Information in the Workplace

The Privacy Rule controls how a health plan or covered health care provider discloses protected health information to an employer, including your manager or supervisor.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/consumers/employers.html

I'm no expert, but I am guessing there is something in the Bravo contracts which prevent cast members from suing each other. That is just a guess.

I don't trust anything that comes out of Meghan PI's mouth.

That woman has serious boundary issues.

ETA

I would have to know the specifics of the possible lawsuit against Meghan to agree or disagree with you.

The specifics are Brooks is saying Meghan is defaming him by saying he does not have cancer.   In order to prove she is defaming him, he has to prove he had and cancer and the part where he loses is that she knew he had cancer.  Meghan has said many things her primary claim is that Brooks discontinuing chemo and trying alternative medicine did not cure or improve his health status.  There is no agreeing or disagreeing it is black letter law. if you sue you have to show proof of your position.  You can't say HIPAA laws protect me.  If Brooks were to say he was an original investor in Apple Computers and had $10 million dollars in the bank and Meghan said no he is not and he doesn't have $10 million dollars in the bank.  Brooks sues her he has to release his banking records-especially the one with the $10 million balance.  BTW banking privacy records are also federally protected. 

Read this-

The Privacy Rule controls how a health plan or covered health care provider discloses protected health information to an employer, including your manager or supervisor.

None of the people on the show are employees of Bravo or Evolution Media.  They are talent.  Bravo contracts are very clear on this.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 5

Re: your first question - of course not. They can't force you to talk about your health. But that brings up what so many of us have been saying - the producers didn't force Brooks to talk about his cancer. He and Vicki made the choice. But if you're asking if they started the storyline, but then wanted to shut it down, could they do so w/o repercussions? I would answer that's exactly what's been happening. No, they couldn't be sued for breach of contract (they would allege that they're still participating), but they might not get asked back for the next season. That's every HW's fear.

P.S. Brooks is never going to sue Meghan. He has no grounds. He's just posturing. it's part of his cover-up.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 8

From what we have seen/heard on ALL of the HW shows, if you don't want it talked about on camera then you can't talk about it on camera to begin with. Once it is discussed on camera, it is open for everyone to talk about it. All Vicki and Brooks had to do is not talk about it at all to anyone ON CAMERA. Bravo can not force someone to discuss an ongoing health issue.

Also, HIPPA applies to medical personal, Dr.s, Nurses, hospital staff/personel, Dr. office personal, anyone IN the health care industry....not to everyday people outside.

Read this-

As I have said before, Bravo/production could not force Brooks to reveal any private health matters ON camera, he did that, along side Vicki, all on his own.

• Love 7

I don't think HIPPA laws come into play here at all. No one has violated HIPPA.

As for refusing to answer questions, etc., I doubt Bravo would sue them. It's costly and time consuming. They would just fire them and they wouldn't get paid.

Thanks AnnA. Your guess is as good as mine, lol.

Well if they all STFU about Brooks' cancer then we could have just skipped this season cause these bunch of HWs are scratching in the chicken shit to have something entertaining to film. Shame on Andy, Bravo and production for bringing us a bunch of crap. Though if the purpose was to see a ten year veteran screw up and quit I guess they fulfilled their objective, but I still wasn't entertain.

Edited by talula
  • Love 3

The specifics are Brooks is saying Meghan is defaming him by saying he does not have cancer. In order to prove she is defaming him, he has to prove he had and cancer and the part where he loses is that she knew he had cancer. Meghan has said many things her primary claim is that Brooks discontinuing chemo and trying alternative medicine did not cure or improve his health status. There is no agreeing or disagreeing it is black letter law. if you sue you have to show proof of your position. You can't say HIPAA laws protect me. If Brooks were to say he was an original investor in Apple Computers and had $10 million dollars in the bank and Meghan said no he is not and he doesn't have $10 million dollars in the bank. Brooks sues her he has to release his banking records-especially the one with the $10 million balance. BTW banking privacy records are also federally protected.

None of the people on the show are employees of Bravo or Evolution Media. They are talent. Bravo contracts are very clear on this.

I haven't read the letter that Meghan allegedly received from an attorney, nor am I privy to the specifics of the possible case, so no, I am not in a position to agree or disagree with you.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by talent but HIPAA does apply to independent contractors.

Exactly. HIPPA doesn't apply to this story.

Read the info at this link.

None of the people on the show are employees of Bravo or Evolution Media.  They are talent.  Bravo contracts are very clear on this.

Exactly!

There was a report out last year saying that Bravo had added a new clause to the HW's contracts requiring them to "bring the drama" or be cut.

HW Drama Clause

“Now ladies are being offered only 8 week contracts. If they don’t deliver the drama in the first few weeks of taping they will be dropped,” a Bravo insider tells the site.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1

I haven't read the letter that Meghan allegedly received from an attorney, nor am I privy to the specifics of the possible case, so no, I am not in a position to agree or disagree with you.

It was just a cease and desist letter (allegedly), so there's no lawsuit, no case.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by talent but HIPAA does apply to independent contractors.

HIPAA only applies to health care professionals, so it's obviously not applicable to anyone in this story.

• Love 7

HIPAA continues to be misunderstood here, and it's perfectly understandable. Here's a basic explanation of the privacy issue: "The HIPAA Privacy Rule regulates the use and disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI) held by "covered entities" (generally, health care clearinghouses, employer sponsored health plans, health insurers, and medical service providers that engage in certain transactions."

Neither Bravo nor Meghan are covered entities, nor anyone involved in this show. Therefore, HIPAA does not, and will never be, applied. There are probably other laws that may or may not protect Brooks from Meghan's courageous search for justice, and may or may not allow him to work around a Bravo contract - it's just not HIPAA.

I pulled the quoted portion from Wikipedia, and I would post the link but I'm on my phone.

Interestingly: I googled "HIPAA for Dummies" - not because there are dummies here, but because I was seeking a very basic definition. I stumbled upon a pharmacist's blog, I believe entitled The Redhead Pharmacist (irony) and she addressed something that touches a bit on Brooks' situation. It's this: if the patiently volunteers medical info, no laws are violated. Her example - if an impatient person in line at the pharmacy shouts out a question revarding their Valium, the pharmacist is not at fault.

I won't say anymore because the subject is monotonous, and I'm sure most are incredibly bored with this subject.

• Love 13

Neither Bravo nor Meghan are covered entities, nor anyone involved in this show. Therefore, HIPAA does not, and will never be, applied. There are probably other laws that may or may not protect Brooks from Meghan's courageous search for justice, and may or may not allow him to work around a Bravo contract - it's just not HIPAA.

Thank you.  I hope this ends the HIPPA discussion since it's not applicable to this scenario at all.

Vicki and Brooks can decide to stop this storyline anytime they want.  They would then have to face the consequences of "not delivering" what they promised and Vicki would probably lose her orange and her paycheck.  The storyline didn't garner her the sympathy she thought it would and since she obviously doesn't want to lose her orange, she's stuck with it.   There's an old saying "you reap what you sow" and Vicki is getting exactly what she deserves for introducing Brooks' cancer on national TV.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 7

Interestingly: I googled "HIPAA for Dummies" - not because there are dummies here, but because I was seeking a very basic definition. I stumbled upon a pharmacist's blog, I believe entitled The Redhead Pharmacist (irony) and she addressed something that touches a bit on Brooks' situation. It's this: if the patiently volunteers medical info, no laws are violated. Her example - if an impatient person in line at the pharmacy shouts out a question revarding their Valium, the pharmacist is not at fault.

I can't help but think of Ramona's "Calm down, take a Xanax!" quote when reading this.

Thanks for the whole post.

• Love 3

Exactly!

There was a report out last year saying that Bravo had added a new clause to the HW's contracts requiring them to "bring the drama" or be cut.

HW Drama Clause

“Now ladies are being offered only 8 week contracts. If they don’t deliver the drama in the first few weeks of taping they will be dropped,” a Bravo insider tells the site.

I don't, and never will, get the appeal of being on a reality show, but I know it's seductive to some people. About six years or so ago, there was a summer reality show on a major network. It involved walling off a neighborhood, and the families inside competed against each other until the final family wins ..... something. The families on the show were literally cut off, and they couldn't leave unless there was a medical emergency. It took place in my cousin's neighborhood, and his wife signed up and she was pretty miffed that he refused. Here's the thing - he owns a paint and body auto shop. He's the owner, manager, primary employee, only family bread winner, etc. He doesn't go to work - the business fails and they lose their home. The foolishness is too great to explain or even understand.

• Love 6

Since there is no health plan or covered health care provider involved and also because neither Brooks or any of the HWs are "employees" of Bravo or Evolution Media, nothing contained in that link of that applies.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4

Why do you keep posting info. on HIPAA, when it doesn't apply here, and no one's medical privacy was violated?

I was trying to help you understand some information that you are not interpreting correctly.

However, it appears you have reasons for adhering to your point of view despite the information that is presented to you.

I will respect your point of view and move on.

This is a quote from the HIPAA website.

Please read the content at the link.

The cancer/not cancer storyline is the reason the topic was brought up.

Remember?

I believe you stated the issue was a right to privacy regarding medical records. IIRCyou said, "it is the law."  Two separate issues.

BTW I agree about medical records and the biggest violator of medical privacy is Andy Cohen.  He constantly asks women if they have had plastic surgery, what surgery they have had.  It is always rude to ask and it is wholly unfair to ask someone and then if they deny or sidestep they are  called  a liar-it is a question that should never be posed.  I don't care what it says in their contracts.

• Love 4

Maybe Vicki can take a page out of Ramona's book and go to sleep during the reunion.  That actually went over really well.

Hahaha and maybe snore while sleeping...especially when Meghan is talking.

• Love 1

We have had to hide a ton of posts. If everyone can't be civil and polite to each other and remember that the motto is "snark the show, not your fellow posters" and also "It's ok to disagree, but not to be rude to your fellow posters" then we will have to lock down the forum for a bit to give everyone a time out. Thanks. 

• Love 11

HIPAA continues to be misunderstood here, and it's perfectly understandable. Here's a basic explanation of the privacy issue: "The HIPAA Privacy Rule regulates the use and disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI) held by "covered entities" (generally, health care clearinghouses, employer sponsored health plans, health insurers, and medical service providers that engage in certain transactions."

I pulled the quoted portion from Wikipedia, and I would post the link but I'm on my phone.

I won't say anymore because the subject is monotonous, and I'm sure most are incredibly bored with this subject.

Thank You! This conversation went "off the rails" technically speaking.

• Love 6

Stop the HIPAA talk. Google it yourself if you're interested in it,but it has NO place here. I'll consider it a direct violation of the RHOCMPTKA (Real Housewives of Orange County Mod Protection and Thread Killer Act) if you bring it up again.

• Love 14

The issue the other three have failed to address is was it ever really a supportive or good friend thing to do to suggest Brooks present any medical records to assuage Meghan's curiosity?  Since everyone stopped writing blogs-except Heather who just rapped on about her product line, we won't know if Shannon, Heather or Tamra thought they overstepped or if they just threw it out there as a possibility.  it was difficult because Vicki would not answer inquires and it almost seemed as if Brooks was baiting Shannon, Heather and Tamra into asking for the records.  One thing each of the three said, "the others," all placing themselves outside of the doubt circle. 

The one thing I found humorous is when Heather was on WWHL, and she was talking about why Tamra, instead of she and Terry (obviously he is a physician), Meghan because she has a medical background and finally Shannon because she goes to a lot of doctors.  I guess it saved Tamra the obvious embarrassment as a lack of education as the aforementioned all have college degrees.  Heather seemed to be grasping to stay the storyline.  The ethical question of asking for a third party verification never entered into the conversation.

• Love 2

The issue the other three have failed to address is was it ever really a supportive or good friend thing to do to suggest Brooks present any medical records to assuage Meghan's curiosity? Since everyone stopped writing blogs-except Heather who just rapped on about her product line, we won't know if Shannon, Heather or Tamra thought they overstepped or if they just threw it out there as a possibility. it was difficult because Vicki would not answer inquires and it almost seemed as if Brooks was baiting Shannon, Heather and Tamra into asking for the records. One thing each of the three said, "the others," all placing themselves outside of the doubt circle.

I like this. From all the differing

The conversation about Orange county has been particularly intelligent and interesting this season, in my opinion. If you haven't seen this blog, Camile Paglia, whom I respect very much is a housewives fan. I find that both fascinating and reassuring. She is an academic and has said many of her friends also enjoy the Housewives. We are in good company!

"The Real Housewives franchise isn't entertainment to me—it's a lifestyle. I watch virtually nothing else on TV now, except for occasional documentaries and Turner Classic Movies. I can see the same Real Housewives episode multiple times with equal enjoyment. I love the frank display of emotion, the intricate interrelationships, and the sharp-elbows jockeying for power and visibility. I appreciate every snippet—the rapid scene set-ups, dynamic camera work, and crisp editing, with its enchanting glimpses of fine houses and restaurants and its glowing appreciation of beautiful objects, from flowers and tableware to jewelry and couture. And I applaud the Real Housewives master theme of the infectious hilarity and truth-telling delirium induced by copious alcohol, that ancient Dionysian elixir!"

- Camile Paglia

She goes into her love of soap operas, and how The Real Housewives are updated, real-life versions of women from Knots Landing and Dynasty. Paglia mourned the decline of soaps and "their great female 'trash-and-sleaze' style of old Hollywood." She turned to movies like Valley of the Dolls and Mommie Dearest to get her soap fix, but also liked The Group and Black Widow for giving "good soap, with their intense competitive, woman-on-woman psychodramas." She credits Andy Cohen with "alter[ing] and redeem[ing] the pop culture landscape—which had been suffering for years from snide snark and pseudo-hip cynicism."

(I didn't write this part, it's the conclusion of the interview)

Edited by freeradical
  • Love 1