Type keyword(s) to search

Caitlyn Jenner: Call Me Caitlyn

• Start Topic

It just goes to show what money, fame and popularity within pop culture can do for someone. The public is eager to see a rich, famous celebrity transition sexually but they dismiss the fact that because of her fame, she wasn't made culpable for vehicular homicide.

I assume you feel exactly the same way about Brandy Norwood, who killed a woman and then went on DWTS, Rebecca Gayheart, who ran over and killed a child and faced no charges, and Matthew Broderick who killed a woman in Ireland because he was confused by driving on a different side of the road.  Accidents happen every day in cars--if she wasn't drunk, texting, exceeding the speed, or acting in a manner that implied malicious intent or overt compromising of her integrity...what is supposed to happen?  I briefly zoned out driving home on a route I took everyday and slammed my car into the back of a truck. I was giving a $100 ticket and my insurance rates didn't even go up.

Shit happens. Every time you step in a car you do so with the understanding you can be killed by your actions or the actions of another. If this woman had been killed by anyone other than Caitlyn Jenner no one would give a fuck and her adult stepkids wouldn't be looking to cash in.

• Love 9

I love these forums! I could bore all of you to death by liking and quoting posts, but there are just too many. My feelings? Whatever struggles Caitlyn thinks she is having, the speech was for show, the dress was for show, i feel it was all for show. Some agree, some don't, but all are respectful. There is no transgender bashing, just good folk, some who are as puzzled as I am about what is transpiring. But, I have a prediction. In a few years,maybe more, maybe less, she will cut her hair, let the facial hair grow back, and they'll be a special about "Cailyn's Next Journey" or something. I am not buying it. I'm just not. Think of me all when this happens.

• Love 1
(edited)

Please use the pronouns "she" or "her" rather than "he" or "him" when discussing Caitlyn. Thanks.

Sometimes it's difficult to sort out exactly when to use either 'he', 'she' 'him' or 'her'. There's a gray area in between the Diane Sawyer interview, the accident when he rear-ended a woman causing her death, and the coming out party for Caitlyn at the ESPYS. I think that even though people might mistakenly use the incorrect pronoun now and then, it's totally understandable.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 3

I see the opposite happening. Or actually I don't see her having a great relationship with any of them. Maybe the younger two.

I don't see any of the kids being real interested long term in the LGBT community. I think back to Kim's passing interest in combating racism, and Khloes foray into the homeless on skid row, the younger girls going to see kids living in shelters, I'm sure they still keep in touch... Not! The orphanage and Kim's interest in adopting. They'll go to a few functions and anything they'll be noticed at and get press for. But hanging around Caitlyns place having a girls night? Unless there are cameras, not gonna happen.

Caitlyn also seems to have made a deliberate decision to downplay their presence at the ESPY awards. I didn't see any pics of them as a group and even the audience shots were few. Only Kendall spoke on the intro tape.

I think they'll all be positive and supportive when making public comments, but I really doubt they will see Caitlyn all that much in person. Just a feeling I have.

• Love 1

Yep, other than maybe Kendall and possibly Khloe, if she visits with Kendall, I don't see any of the kids suddenly having a newly deep relationship. The older 4 Jenners, their woulds run deeper, and the Kardashian's have already moved on. Maybe Brandon will make an effort, especially with a new baby, but I don't suddenly see Caitlyn becoming a super parent to anyone at this point of the game. Sure, it's easy to say Caitlyn is new and improved in the recent weeks, but does anyone really see that lasting all that long? Caitlyn is already all about hanging out with the "girls" who are her new BFFs…. that I suspect she mostly met in the last week and a half. 

• Love 1

Does someone's real personality change that much? Kris always complained that Bruce didn't want to go anywhere or socialize, he basically didn't enjoy that whole loud scene, unless it was strictly a family thing. Now it seems as Caitlyn is out and about at plays and dinners and the latest is a gay bar.

I don't enjoy the bar scene, the loud music, the drunken antics, listening to friends and family and strangers sound progressively stupider as they get drunker and then sometimes belligerent. Not my thing. I'm happy with my gender and can't imagine that even if I were transgender, that my taste in fun would change.

Now maybe the reasons Caitlyn didn't enjoy the party scene wasn't the scene itself but the fact that she wasn't happy in her marriage or relationships with her kids. That would be different.

• Love 2

Sometimes it's difficult to sort out exactly when to use either 'he', 'she' 'him' or 'her'. There's a gray area in between the Diane Sawyer interview, the accident when he rear-ended a woman causing her death, and the coming out party for Caitlyn at the ESPYS. I think that even though people might mistakenly use the incorrect pronoun now and then, it's totally understandable.

Not if someone's talking in the present tense, about a present action or statement.  That's inexcusable IMO.

When you get into the PAST though, that's thorny, and I bet there's not much benefit to pronoun policing in those cases.

• Love 2

Does someone's real personality change that much? Kris always complained that Bruce didn't want to go anywhere or socialize, he basically didn't enjoy that whole loud scene, unless it was strictly a family thing. Now it seems as Caitlyn is out and about at plays and dinners and the latest is a gay bar.

They're filming the show. After they're done filming and everything is not for "show" I think it'll be different.

Caitlyn also seems to have made a deliberate decision to downplay their presence at the ESPY awards. I didn't see any pics of them as a group and even the audience shots were few. Only Kendall spoke on the intro tape.

I think they chose 1 person to be on tape and not have a dozen kids over saturate the tape and the ESPY's, I think it's understandable for the 90 minutes before the Caitlyn part they weren't in the audience so it didn't become a thing about Kim reaction shots to Derek Jeter or Brett Favre getting awards. So they stayed in the green room until it was time to watch Caitlyn get her award and then they left. I don't think it was downplay as opposed to being "it's not about them, so lets not make it about them." Kim still got a ton of reaction shots and had the first seat of the kids. 

All of the kids in black with Caitlyn in white had to be for a photo op, it's just they didn't share it. Just the kids all in black. 

They're filming the show. After they're done filming and everything is not for "show" I think it'll be different.

Everything always appears to be for show with both the Ks and the Js, whether a reality show is currently shooting or not (then again, when ISN'T one shooting with them--there's ALWAYS at least one).  It's why the world is skeptical now.

• Love 2
(edited)

Not if someone's talking in the present tense, about a present action or statement.  That's inexcusable IMO.

When you get into the PAST though, that's thorny, and I bet there's not much benefit to pronoun policing in those cases.

When referring to anything remotely connected to the Kardashian's or Jenner's, and having to be socially or politically correct when using the proper pronoun just doesn't entirely fly with me. 

Edited by HumblePi
(edited)

When referring to anything remotely connected to the Kardashian's or Jenner's, and having to be socially or politically correct when using the proper pronoun just doesn't entirely fly with me. 

Look, even in the worst case, if Caitlyn is some kind of insincere publicity hound/phony, the fact remains that observing the niceties of respect for the choice of pronouns is about more than Caitlyn Jenner.  It's about everyone else reading your words--setting a proper tone and showing respect for people not named "Jenner" who'd want that kind of respect for THEIR choice of pronouns if they asked.  And the example they have on hand is how people deal with Caitlyn's gender identification in their posts.

This isn't to say you have to only say nice things about Caitlyn Jenner.  Quite the contrary IMO.

it's an easy decision with anything that happens now and here.  Caitlyn is named Caitlyn, she's a "she", and the only people who should be confused about the choice of pronouns are those who are denying it.

If you really think Jenner is nothing but a fraud, then consider it this way. When RuPaul (who's just a drag queen, not Trans) dresses as a female, do people tend to go around saying "he" and "him"?  Not that I've heard.  Not while Ru is in female mode. And that's just entertainment.  RuPaul doesn't represent anyone other than other drag queens (and I guess overall, gay men). Caitlyn, love it or hate it, represents other people--at least in the minds of those people.  So if society can call the drag queen "she", why not the Transperson with a much more bigger commitment? Whatever else you think about Jenner's sincerity, realness, appropriateness as a role model, etc. the mere act of declaring oneself as another gender in a public forum, as a public figure, is that commitment.

The stuff about how to refer to what Bruce said and did when people called him Bruce is a different issue, IMO. I doubt society has hashed that out totally, so it's no surprise we don't know. My gut has always told me that although we have to be clear they're the same person (and responsible for the same things morally) that Bruce is "him", Caitlyn is "her", and it's no more complicated than that when you write about it. Fake, insincere, manipulative, murderer (or not), none of that matters to the actual language.

What would be "politically incorrect" (and I hate it) is people who rah rah Caitlyn just because she's this new figurehead.  If people act affronted just because you dare criticize Caitlyn Jenner, then feel free to roll your eyes.  But IMO the smart play (and the fair one) is to use the right name and gender identifiers while telling the world why you think Caitlyn Jenner is a big ol' insincere manipulative phony.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 10

It just goes to show what money, fame and popularity within pop culture can do for someone. The public is eager to see a rich, famous celebrity transition sexually but they dismiss the fact that because of her fame, she wasn't made culpable for vehicular homicide.

I don't like Caitlyn and think she's a vapid, self absorbed Kardashian wannabe famewhore,  but put yourself in her place.   That was an accident.   Most accidents hade a component of carelessness.   How would you feel if this happened to you, and people were calling for your head?    You can't dismiss the culpability of the other drivers.   Maybe they were following too close, we don't know.   As far as I know, Caitlyn was a model citizen.    Do you really think she should be punished more than the law will allow, or pay higher than insurance limits?    I doubt this didn't affect her.   But it was an accident.   I've seen people who were grossly negligent multiple times before they had an at fault accident with a death only lose their license for three years.    

• Love 3
(edited)

Nice pic - too bad Rob and Leah couldn't be there.

Speaking of Leah (such a gorgeous woman, inside and out), is it "Grandma Caitlyn" yet?!

Edited by nexxie

Good God Khloe has devolved to Kim territory. Her ass looks absolutely ridiculous and a little terrifying.

Good lord. It literally protrudes further out from her body than her breasts. Heck, maybe twice as far.

Order is:

Khloe - Kim - Kendall - Caitlyn - Cassandra (oldest daughter) - Kylie - Kourt - Caitlyn #2 (Brody's gf) - Burt's girlfriend.

Burt - Brandon - Brody - Hubby of Cassanda.

I bet Mr. "I have to wear a white shirt" got in a bit of trouble.

I thought so too, it throws the premise of the all black with the 1 white wearing Caitlyn off.

Good God Khloe has devolved to Kim territory. Her ass looks absolutely ridiculous and a little terrifying.

I actually think that Khloe's ass sticks out more than Kim's. I guess it hasn't had time to droop yet.

I actually think that Khloe's ass sticks out more than Kim's. I guess it hasn't had time to droop yet.

Kim's seems to spread to the sides if she doesn't wear the industrial spanx and when pregnant? There's nothing that's been created yet that can mold that mass into anything remotely human.

• Love 1
(edited)

Something bizarre is going on. I mean compare:

bNUz2D6.jpg

The one of the left looks human.  The one of the right looks alien.  I mean they might actually not be that far apart in total size, but it's like maybe that garment she's wearing squeezes the sides of the ass and makes it more bulbous.  Isn't that the reverse of what garments like Spanx usually do?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Something bizarre is going on. I mean compare:

bNUz2D6.jpg

The one of the left looks human.  The one of the right looks alien.  I mean they might actually not be that far apart in total size, but it's like maybe that garment she's wearing squeezes the sides of the ass and makes it more bulbous.  Isn't that the reverse of what garments like Spanx usually do?

It looks like she's wearing a very serious, industrial-grade Booty Pop. You can even see the unintentional ruching where it separates from her body. 

Maybe she's wearing the equivalent of a push up bra, only it's for your butt. Or she had injections or implants to make it do that. For some reason, they all seem to like having butts that stick out like that.

Maybe she's wearing the equivalent of a push up bra, only it's for your butt. Or she had injections or implants to make it do that. For some reason, they all seem to like having butts that stick out like that.

The reason is to appeal to a certain demographic where big asses are a fetish.

• Love 1

Brody looks absolutely miserable and uncomfortable. Of all the kids, I don't see Brody being anywhere near close to coming to terms with how shitty a dad Bruce was or really looking to forgive and forget with Caitlyn. Especially if Caitlyn continues to refuse to address the past parenting fails. 

Cassandra's husband is a cutie. 

Nice pic - too bad Rob and Leah couldn't be there.

Speaking of Leah (such a gorgeous woman, inside and out), is it "Grandma Caitlyn" yet?!

Quick internet search shows up nothing yet. She's got to be getting close though. 

Brody looks absolutely miserable and uncomfortable. Of all the kids, I don't see Brody being anywhere near close to coming to terms with how shitty a dad Bruce was or really looking to forgive and forget with Caitlyn. Especially if Caitlyn continues to refuse to address the past parenting fails.

Cassandra's husband is a cutie.

Quick internet search shows up nothing yet. She's got to be getting close though.

I watched the interviews this weekend. I thought it interesting that Caitlyn said she stopped taking hormones (after 5 years) because she lost her nerve about transitioning, saying that one reason was she didn't want to hurt her young kids, cut to a picture of a young Burt. I thought it interesting that she said she stopped due to concern for the kids, but then basically dropped out of their lives and took on Kris and her brood. No wonder there's been hard feelings from the older 4. She also said she developed a habit of finding a distraction or activity that kept him from dwelling on the gender issue. Maybe her own kids were a reminder of those issues and she used Kris's brood as a replacement and a distraction. Not saying it was a conscious decision, but the mind has a will of its own sometimes.

(edited)

A 25 year distraction seems excessive. If she could raise those 6 kids and so well, she could have distracted herself more with the other 4 on top of the 6. Like how Bruce attended all the first days of schools/graduations/sports meets for the 6 but didn't for the 4. Wouldn't having more events to attend help the distraction?

There's far more than just the gender issues with why the first 4 was basically abandoned. They were showing old episodes on E! this weekend and they showed the one where they go on the camping trip with Adrienne's parents in the RV. There's a line Bruce said when talking about plastic surgery and how it was after her first divorce and she "lost millions..." So the wife got a lot in the divorce and to that scene he was still bitter over it.

I just don't think all those other reasons and everything in the past goes away now that Bruce has transitioned into Caitlyn. It may be hidden but I think it's all still there.

Edited by OnceSane
  • Love 1

Could it be that now that Caitlyn is living the life she always had to hide she feels more comfortable in social situations?

I'm sure a part of it is trying to keep Caitlyn in the public eye until her special airs - but I don't think that's the only reason.

• Love 4

Could it be that now that Caitlyn is living the life she always had to hide she feels more comfortable in social situations?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Being able to finally live your life as the gender you've always felt certainly would be liberating. Her being out more, and being seen socializing, etc. makes sense to me. Sure, I'm guessing being more visible also ties into her show premiering later this month, but I don't think everything she does is based on her reality show. 

• Love 2

Every visible event she's been to she's had the camera crew with her, so after she's done taping then we'd be able to see if it's this is the new person she is that goes out more or if it was just because of taping the show.

• Love 2

Every visible event she's been to she's had the camera crew with her, so after she's done taping then we'd be able to see if it's this is the new person she is that goes out more or if it was just because of taping the show.

I'm still not convinced that once the cameras are gone if people will believe this more social side of Caitlyn truly is part of her personality. Unfortunately, her motives and sincerity will still be questioned by some.

I'm still not convinced that once the cameras are gone if people will believe this more social side of Caitlyn truly is part of her personality. Unfortunately, her motives and sincerity will still be questioned by some.

If we don't want to conveniently blame Keeping Up With The Kardashians for that, we can also blame The Hills. I mean putting aside the people who might have an axe to grind for other reasons, I think it's quite natural to be skeptical about someone who's family (both sides of it) have been in the business of Manufacturing Reality for over a decade now.  Heck, it would be foolish NOT to be.

I think the best policy is that Caitlyn Jenner is entitled to the basic respect anyone would be in this circumstance, but what people think beyond that is inevitably going to be twisted a bit around a nice Kardashian/Jenner colored bit of wrapping paper.  To expect otherwise is just naivety, and Cate is a big girl. She knows who her family is and what she was getting into by doing this so publicly.  It was a choice.

• Love 1
(edited)

Or could it be that the comfort you speak of is a by-product of living inside the perfect fantasy bubble where people who would ridicule you otherwise are only too happy to fall over themselves gushing how wonderful and beautiful and important you are as long as they stand to make money off you?    Or perhaps it's the self-satisfaction of knowing you'll never have to make your way as an ordinary woman in the real world, that you can enjoy all the rewards without doing any of the work because you're rich and famous enough to get by on your affirmations alone?   It must all be quite intoxicating.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

She could rent it out as a wrecking ball if she's ever low on cash.

Or could it be that the comfort you speak of is a by-product of living inside the perfect fantasy bubble where people who would ridicule you otherwise are only too happy to fall over themselves gushing how wonderful and beautiful and important you are as long as they stand to make money off you?    Or perhaps it's the self-satisfaction of knowing you'll never have to make your way as an ordinary woman in the real world, that you can enjoy all the rewards without doing any of the work because you're rich and famous enough to get by on your affirmations alone?   It must all be quite intoxicating.

Yes. Rich and famous Caitlyn won't have to face age discrimination like other 60+ senior citizen women looking for a job. She won't face sex discrimination in a job search; she'll never have to prove she can do a job as well as a man, and she will never have to do the same job as a man for less pay. In fact, I heard that she'll make even higher fees on the motivational speaker circuit as Caitlyn than she made as Bruce. With all the publicity and the reality show, she will never have to endure the awful feeling of being "invisible," which is experienced by many older women. Well, more power to her in getting the money, but she'll never be able to comprehend what it's like to be an ordinary elderly woman.

• Love 2

If we don't want to conveniently blame Keeping Up With The Kardashians for that, we can also blame The Hills. I mean putting aside the people who might have an axe to grind for other reasons, I think it's quite natural to be skeptical about someone who's family (both sides of it) have been in the business of Manufacturing Reality for over a decade now.  Heck, it would be foolish NOT to be.

I think the best policy is that Caitlyn Jenner is entitled to the basic respect anyone would be in this circumstance, but what people think beyond that is inevitably going to be twisted a bit around a nice Kardashian/Jenner colored bit of wrapping paper.  To expect otherwise is just naivety, and Cate is a big girl. She knows who her family is and what she was getting into by doing this so publicly.  It was a choice.

Can't say that I agree with what you've stated, but I do see more clearly where you are coming from. I still believe that once (if ever) the cameras go away, that Caitlyn's sincerity and motivations to transition will still be questioned. It's tied into being attached to the Kardashian brand for so long, as well as now becoming a reality fixture on her own without them. It's not fair but it's what happens when you sign onto reality show fame. 

Yes. Rich and famous Caitlyn won't have to face age discrimination like other 60+ senior citizen women looking for a job. She won't face sex discrimination in a job search; she'll never have to prove she can do a job as well as a man, and she will never have to do the same job as a man for less pay. In fact, I heard that she'll make even higher fees on the motivational speaker circuit as Caitlyn than she made as Bruce. With all the publicity and the reality show, she will never have to endure the awful feeling of being "invisible," which is experienced by many older women. Well, more power to her in getting the money, but she'll never be able to comprehend what it's like to be an ordinary elderly woman.

While I think this is certainly true, I'm not really sure why people seem to be holding it against her. Yes, she'll never be able to comprehend what it's like to be an ordinary elderly woman, but she's famous, wealthy, & transgender, she was never going to be able to comprehend what it's like to be any kind of ordinary woman. I am no kind of expert, but I don't believe that every transgender person has the same experience as every other transgender person, some have it harder, some have it easier. Caitlyn is on the easier side, it feels like a lot of people would be happier if she was made to suffer for a while instead of being accepted.

• Love 9
(edited)

Jenner has done whatever possible to avoid being regarded as an average woman of 65.   Or an average woman of any kind, for that matter.   It seems the goal is to fit into the Kardashian world rather than the world outside that illusory bubble.

Many crossdressers who start out later in life go through a stage where they dress like juniors or tarts,  as if trying to make up for a lost youth.   The result usually falls well short of the mark.    Ironically, they would probably pass more successfully if they simply dressed their age.    But you can't tell them that, they have to learn it for themselves.   Which is all well and good for people who are merely posting pics and videos of themselves posing in their bedrooms on youtube and elsewhere, but Jenner has assumed the role of transgender ambassador, the person who's going to "change the world," proclaiming "I'm the new normal" (whatever the hell that means).

It seems to me that if one is going to appoint oneself savior to a struggling minority, one has a responsibility not to appear vain or ridiculous.   Jenner ostensibly is asking the world for acceptance; but does it hurt the message when the person doing the asking seems unable to accept themselves regarding age and appearance? 

Edited by millennium

It seems to me that if one is going to appoint oneself savior to a struggling minority, one has a responsibility not to appear vain or ridiculous.   Jenner ostensibly is asking the world for acceptance; but does it hurt the message when the person doing the asking seems unable to accept themselves regarding age and appearance?

I don't care for Jenner or the Kardashians, but I haven't seen any evidence that Caitlyn is appointing herself as savior. Perhaps the media is moving that way, and she's not doing anything to discourage it, but I don't get the sense it's her doing. I don't think the transgender movement needs a savior, frankly. Understanding and acceptance, yes, but not a savior.

I don't sense that she doesn't accept her age or what society considers the default appearance as a 65 year old woman. Though I think it's unrealistic to look like that at 65 for most any woman (Helen Mirren excluded), I don't fault her for wanting to look what she considers her best. Most everyone I know wants to look her best and this is what Jenner sees as putting her best foot forward; this is "best" and "attractive" in her current world view. She can afford it so she does it. Is it vain? Perhaps a bit. Do I resent that she'll never have to deal with age discrimination in the pursuit of a job? Probably. However with the chatter about how she's not looking her age and that she's acting/dressing frivolously, etc. she is, in fact, facing some sort of perhaps not discrimination, but definitely criticism for not meeting what society considers appropriate for her age.

Being a woman is new for her. It doesn't matter that she's known what she was meant to be for many years; the point is she's finally able to live it. I will give her and anyone else in her position a bit of a pass to see what it actually means to live what she's been denied for most of her life. Her transition has really just begun; she's wearing it but how she lives it remains to be seen and I can't or won't judge her for what she has or hasn't done so soon after transitioning.

• Love 7

It looks like she's wearing a very serious, industrial-grade Booty Pop. You can even see the unintentional ruching where it separates from her body.

Good call on the "unintentional ruching" - and such a cool term too!
  • Love 1

She's also agonizing about her new role as the de facto spokeswoman for transgender people.

"What a responsibility I have," she frets. "We don't want people dying over this. I hope I get it right."

The "responsibility" thing of course is what we hope she would say. The "dying over this" part is kind of overwrought though. Not that transgenders don't have a real suicide problem, but by equating her actions to the RISK of that, I think she's taking on something that shouldn't be determined by any person who just happens to pop up on TV and in People Magazine.

Being the "de facto spokesman" (not something she's saying, but something the article is right has occurred) is of course the issue.

I do like the mental picture I'm getting of an uncomfortable Kanye having to sit there pretending to care about any of this. That may be a good comedic moment.

The stuff with the family of Kyler Prescott sounds like on one hand it's a nice educational thing for viewers to hear about, but at the same time a tiny bit annoying that Captain Jenner, the Transgender Superhero, has to fly into the scene to bring it to people's attention. Still I suppose it's better that the show has moments like this than not--as manipulative as they certainly could be. Ends justify the means in this case. The scene description (that Caitlyn basically doesn't talk during this segment) is the actual one biggest sign I can find that she knows what she's doing. That's 100% the right way to do it, if the world needs Caitlyn Jenner to introduce what they should know about anyway. So props for that (if it comes off as described, I mean).

• Love 2

I do like the mental picture I'm getting of an uncomfortable Kanye having to sit there pretending to care about any of this. That may be a good comedic moment.

He may not like the cameras, but I think it's great of him to be on the show. He doesn't like KUWTK and refuses to appear, however he agrees to be on Caitlyn's show which has more deeper meaning and purpose to it. 

Says a lot about him that he's willing to support Caitlyn and be on 'I am Cait' while unwilling to be on KUWTK.

• Love 1