Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Joe Anglim

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Nice that they made an immunity necklace to coordinate with his outfit.  Love seeing Joe actually get to play this time, and not being on the wrong side of numbers and having to constantly win immunity or else (which, I fully believe when he loses he's a goner-or at least someone will attempt to orchestrate his vote).  But it doesn't feel like the same pressure from last season.

Is this the longest anyone has ever gone without going to TC?  Also, the love #Joelanguage.  Though Spencer probably could have just had a normal conversation without having to draw in the sand.

• Love 1

Joe is sorta perfect, isn't he? I can't see him winning just for that reason. I am curious how many II he wins and what happens when he loses his first one. I think he has more numbers on his side than in One World which may help him stay longer.

• Love 2

Ah! Gretchen Cordy. Be still my heart. So long ago but never forgotten. I wonder where she is. Anyhoo, back to Joe. No one is going to take him to the finals. So, he would have to win every II and also have a HII in his pocket (is that a HII in your pocket or you just glad to see me?) and, win Final Immunity and choose who take to the Final 2/3. I just don't see this happening. Maybe, Final 4 and then he gets cut loose. I will gladly be proven wrong if this would happen though.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3

Ah! Gretchen Cordy. Be still my heart. So long ago but never forgotten. I wonder where she is.

Gretchen still lives in the Clarksville/Fort Campbell area, and hosts a morning drive time show on one of the local radio stations.

I will say that when Joe was twisting his balls......I mean on the disc.....I mean during the challenge...... twisting his body and damn he is in amazing shape. His abs had abs. The dude is built like a brick house. Even, more than Jeremy. Of course, the next time he loses immunity he should be voted out. He is just to much of a challenge threat and overall nice guy.

• Love 3

Joe better keep winning, because there's no honor among thieves, and it looks like he's not the best at putting together coalitions. 

Gotta believe he's gone soon: with Savage gone, he has no one in his corner. 

• Love 1

In watching some extra videos of Joe this week, it makes me kind of sad to hear him talk about last season and how he had no one wanting to play any kind of game with him.  Which, rightfully so, because he is such a big threat to win.  On the other hand, its not like he can help being a strong, physically fit alpha that's a challenge beast, camp provider, and super nice guy.  I just don't think he has it in him to be something he's not (which would explain why he's failed miserably at not making himself stand out).  Anyway, I think he's done a better job this season in trying to play a strategic, social game.  I believe his number is up as soon as he loses immunity, but glad he was able to be on a pre-merge winning streak that at least got him to the merge.

• Love 6

I don't think that he is a traditional Survivor Alpha, I don't think he is trying to lead his alliance or make all the decisions. I think Andrew, Terry and Jeremy were the seasons Alphas.

Joe is a challenge beast and a threat. I suspect that he is gone as soon as he loses an immunity challenge.

On the other hand, its not like he can help being a strong, physically fit alpha that's a challenge beast, camp provider, and super nice guy.

If he was more strategic he'd play things off like Jeremy!!  I'm sure not all of them have seen Joe's season.   Or maybe the contestants would think that Joe is extra fatigued this season or something.  People believe what they see.  There's so many so-called Alphas in the contest -- even Kelly Wigle and Tasha -- that he could lay lower.  But maybe he thinks he has no choice but to win every challenge because he always thinks he is threat #1.  Yet, he DIDN'T think people would vote against him until he was directly told that Stephen was targeting him.  I don't think he does enough thinking.  He is the Anti Stephen.

I've been thinking Joe was playing better than Spencer at least, but honestly I'm not sure about that anymore. It's honestly mind-boggling to me that he, after finding out Stephen was aggressively targeting him, just went ahead and did what Jeremy wanted and tried to take out one of his own possible allies. It's honestly just so, so stupid. I think he's just going to try to IC win his way to the end and hope that's enough to get him a win over Jeremy. Idiot.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

I'd be curious to hear a few things from Joe when the time comes.  Namely, Ciera said he told her and Wentworth that Kelley was the target and they were not going to split the vote.  This wasn't shown on TV, so I don't know if it will, in fact, get brought up (especially if he goes before the likes of Ciera and Kelley, who may not have a chance to bring it up before him and give that opening).  My question is, did he tell the girls that in the hope of keeping them in their back pocket and, if one of them did have an idol, they'd play it?  He looked as shocked as everyone, but I fully believe he thought they were going to vote Stephen, not Savage, as that was the plan.  Now I question how much pull Joe had, or if Savage was just too stubborn to go against old-old Bayon/Jeremy/the alpha alliance.  Joe/Savage/Kelley/Ciera/Abi could have voted out Stephen, and if Joe had the pull of Spencer and Keith like Kass claimed, then they would have had a majority.  Either that or really pulled to get them to split the vote (perhaps saying they saw it), and their 5 could have gotten Stephen out that way.

I think I'm more disappointed that in Spencer's game play this season.  Never thought he'd turn into a muted doormat that was getting strung along.

Even, Savage said that Joe made the mistake of telling Kelley & Ciera that Kelley was going home. What he didn't realize (nor anyone else) was that Kelley had an HII. You could see how shocked & in awe Joe was when she pulled out the idol. At this moment, we're not really sure what his true motive was. He might be the nicest guy in the world and thought he should nicely give her heads up. In the real world that nice but not when you're playing Survivor. In the end, it might help him since everyone might want to get Kelley or Ciera out first before him. Time will tell on that front.

• Love 1

This is from Ciera's thread:

I think Joe can win.  But because he has been such a challenge beast/fire maker/comfort creator/great guy everyone likes, I doubt he can win by strategizing.  He put way too big a target on his back with all that. 

My guess is his only road to the finals is winning immunities and finding idols.  Even if his alliances keep him safe a few times at this stage (which they may not -- look how quickly Bayon jumped on 'get Joe' wagon last week) the deeper they go, the bigger the threat Joe poses.

I agree and this is why I'm even more dumbfounded by Joe's seemingly deciding to just do nothing but follow Jeremy's alliance. Jeremy and Tasha are the biggest threats to Joe's only real path to victory, winning every IC. He should most definitely be making moves that hurt them and their allies while he shores up the people on the outs, almost all of whom he has a pretty great chance of being able to beat in most ICs. The fact that he actually voted for Kelley last vote and let a person he 100% knows has been actively trying to boot him stay in the game is just unbelievable to me. Especially considering it was actually probably very possible and even quite easy for him to have changed that vote.

I really hope he doesn't continue to play so passively. Watching Jeremy easily get the end and win is so boring.

• Love 2

So long Joey Amazing!  Until next time!  Glad he made the family visit,  especially since he was so close to missing it.  Glad he outlasted Stephen in such an epic way and actually made it through a TC without immunity around his neck.  Enjoyed the last two seasons, and next season will not be the same without the manbun around.  Hopefully he does not take Abi's advice and cut it off.  Despite the crappy behavior people who couldn't outlast him or a 55 year old were showing, at least he went for being a threat.  Better than being a goat dragged to the end because no one likes you (Abi).

• Love 9

I must say that Joe & his Dad are very close. His Dad also looks really young, too. Joe was a threat and needed to go.

Joe's entire family seems very tight.  From what I've read through his interviews (and from stalking him on SM) they seem to really love and support each other through anything.  It's a kind of closeness you don't see too often anymore.  I know he mentioned that his dad was a big Survivor fan, as big as him, and that's why he wanted so bad for him to make it out there.  Wonder if we will ever see him and his dad or another family member back if they do BvsW 3?

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5

Joe's entire family seems very tight.  From what I've read through his interviews (and from stalking him on SM) they seem to really love and support each other through anything.  It's a kind of closeness you don't see too often anymore.  I know he mentioned that his dad was a big Survivor fan, as big as him, and that's why he wanted so bad for him to make it out there.  Wonder if we will ever see him and his dad or another family member back if they do BvsW 3?

I was wondering something similar...bring on some of the family members for a later episode.

The only chance that Joe has to win this game is to have a real life Tarzan season. All men built in the Joe, Malcom, Ozzy mold. Because he is going to be targeted in any other group.

His Ponderosa video was cool. Joe is a good guy who is clearly starting out in life. He has a nice depth to him but still that party, surfer type mentality. But his opening whining about how the game doesn't reward the strong was just annoying. He is a fan of the show and knows very well that you cannot win against the challenge beast who is also a provider. I get that he is upset that he lost but he knew that he was screwed from day one because of who he is and how he plays the game. He can't change who he is a person but he knows that is a handicap in this game.

But his opening whining about how the game doesn't reward the strong was just annoying. He is a fan of the show and knows very well that you cannot win against the challenge beast who is also a provider. I get that he is upset that he lost but he knew that he was screwed from day one because of who he is and how he plays the game. He can't change who he is a person but he knows that is a handicap in this game.

I think that in order to win Survivor, Joe needs to be a lot more proactive about alliances. He seems like a nice enough guy, and is certainly helpful to have around camp, but my impression of him after two seasons is that that's all there is to his social and strategic game. He seems to wait for people to come to him to tell him whose name to write down, rather than trying to build an alliance and/or influence the vote himself. It didn't seem like anyone other than Andrew Savage felt particularly close to him this season (and I think that was more Andrew liking Joe for being such a strong physical competitor, rather than Joe reaching out to Andrew), and I know last season, Jenn wasn't sure if she could trust him after the tribes merged because he didn't make much of an effort to reconnect with her and Hali. He doesn't seem to take any active steps to build trust with people who might help him in the game long-term, nor does he make a case for why people should want to keep him around after the merge, when I think there absolutely is one.

If someone from your alliance keeps winning both the reward and immunity challenges, your allies get the benefits—food and rest rewards (in challenges involving school-yard picks or the winner's choice of who goes on reward with him/her) and your alliance's choice of who goes next. There might even be situations where his ability to craft convincing-looking fake hidden immunity idols could come in handy. It wouldn't be in everyone's best interests to keep Joe around, but I think there are players whose games could benefit from working with someone like him if he were willing and able to do some of the legwork in putting an alliance/tight voting bloc together. Otherwise, people see "immunity threat" who is as likely to work against them as he is to work with them, and he never makes it to the end.

I'm not saying he needs to run around and make final four deals with everyone, but he seems to have an idea that his game is already so visible, that trying to play a strategic one would make him an even bigger target than he already is. In reality, Joe's physical game is always going to make him highly visible, and not playing the strategic and social game doesn't negate that—it just means that he's not important enough to anyone else's game to be protected from getting voted out.

• Love 5

But his opening whining about how the game doesn't reward the strong was just annoying.

To be fair, I think he was still feeling pretty ill at that point.  He looked like he was having trouble focusing his thoughts.   As someone else said on the episode thread (I think), passing out from a blood sugar issue can leave you exhausted and wrung out for days even in comfortable circumstances.

ETA:  I was also focused on Stephen's trench foot during his ponderosa video!  I guess I'm inordinately focused on the survivors' medical issues!

Edited by Special K
  • Love 3

I actually think Joe was close to people this season.  The problem he had, like last season, is that he wasn't included in anyone's end game plan because they knew he would win (although I'm questioning in a season like this if he would actually pull it off-I think there's a chance he wouldn't).  He admitted last season during his Ponderosa/day after vid that strategically he was terrible.  I do remember Jenn/Hali saying he was virtually ignoring them, but he claims it was for strategy reasons so they wouldn't appear tight.  However, all 3 of them ignored Will, which told him where he stood, and why he was so quick to jump ship.  Unlike last season, it seemed people were willing to work with him for the short term, but it was more because they needed him, not that they wanted a long term deal with him.  Jeremy wanted the meat shield, and Spencer used Joe as a way to get Stephen out.  I really believe where Joe went wrong was not going with Kass/Kelley/Ciera/Abi in that first vote.  Of course, Savage wouldn't hear of it, but if Kass was right about Joe holding some clout over Keith/Spencer at that time, they could have easily gotten Stephen out in a majority vote.  And Joe could have possibly flipped at another time if he needed to.  I think he got the hang out it a little better this season, but it probably helped being in a returnee season.  And the fact that he never had to go to TC before the merge.  I do believe he did better in trying to secure deals with people on both sides and have options.  Unfortunately, maybe be separated from some of those guys in the two tribe swaps, or finding one of the options (like his Ta'Keo 5) in the minority and having the others making their own side deals without you didn't help.

What I appreciate about Joe is that he really seems to have strong love for this game.  I get everyone that returns obviously loves it, and the majority of people who go on as first timers are happy they did it.  His love seems in a different league, though.  I think he'd be fine without ever winning, but just competing and getting further and further to the end is what I think he'd be most happy with.  In an old school season, when alliances were still being figured out, the survival aspect played heavier, and there were less UTR winners, I believe he would have had a much easier time getting to the end.  He did seem more at peace this time.  Whether there is a 3rd time or not I don't know.  And that'll probably be his decision, because if given the opportunity I can't believe TPTB wouldn't invite him back.  I certainly hope so, but I also know that there's an extremely strong chance he goes pre-merge next time.  Also, he said he'd be game to do TAR or BB.  Make it happen producers!

Here's one of Joe's interviews:

http://parade.com/440982/joshwigler/joe-anglim-relives-his-final-survivor-battle/

In it, he says he almost passed out at his cousin's wedding-which he was the best man in-so he knew what was coming when his legs went numb; he also says he felt more betrayed because he thought he had alliances and tight bonds with people that were going to hold up, and that's where his negative reaction in his Ponderosa vid came from; also the origin of the manbun: when he was growing his hair out, his dad made a bet that he wouldn't cut his hair before he did.  Thus why the two Anglim men have manbuns.  And he also said he didn't try to downplay his target, but was hoping by not hiding the target on him he might be able to sway people to look elsewhere, like at who had the numbers and needed to be broken up.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I actually think Joe was close to people this season. The problem he had, like last season, is that he wasn't included in anyone's end game plan because they knew he would win (although I'm questioning in a season like this if he would actually pull it off-I think there's a chance he wouldn't). He admitted last season during his Ponderosa/day after vid that strategically he was terrible. I do remember Jenn/Hali saying he was virtually ignoring them, but he claims it was for strategy reasons so they wouldn't appear tight. However, all 3 of them ignored Will, which told him where he stood, and why he was so quick to jump ship. Unlike last season, it seemed people were willing to work with him for the short term, but it was more because they needed him, not that they wanted a long term deal with him. Jeremy wanted the meat shield, and Spencer used Joe as a way to get Stephen out. I really believe where Joe went wrong was not going with Kass/Kelley/Ciera/Abi in that first vote. Of course, Savage wouldn't hear of it, but if Kass was right about Joe holding some clout over Keith/Spencer at that time, they could have easily gotten Stephen out in a majority vote. And Joe could have possibly flipped at another time if he needed to. I think he got the hang out it a little better this season, but it probably helped being in a returnee season. And the fact that he never had to go to TC before the merge. I do believe he did better in trying to secure deals with people on both sides and have options. Unfortunately, maybe be separated from some of those guys in the two tribe swaps, or finding one of the options (like his Ta'Keo 5) in the minority and having the others making their own side deals without you didn't help.

What I appreciate about Joe is that he really seems to have strong love for this game. I get everyone that returns obviously loves it, and the majority of people who go on as first timers are happy they did it. His love seems in a different league, though. I think he'd be fine without ever winning, but just competing and getting further and further to the end is what I think he'd be most happy with. In an old school season, when alliances were still being figured out, the survival aspect played heavier, and there were less UTR winners, I believe he would have had a much easier time getting to the end. He did seem more at peace this time. Whether there is a 3rd time or not I don't know. And that'll probably be his decision, because if given the opportunity I can't believe TPTB wouldn't invite him back. I certainly hope so, but I also know that there's an extremely strong chance he goes pre-merge next time. Also, he said he'd be game to do TAR or BB. Make it happen producers!

Here's one of Joe's interviews:

http://parade.com/440982/joshwigler/joe-anglim-relives-his-final-survivor-battle/

In it, he says he almost passed out at his cousin's wedding-which he was the best man in-so he knew what was coming when his legs went numb; he also says he felt more betrayed because he thought he had alliances and tight bonds with people that were going to hold up, and that's where his negative reaction in his Ponderosa vid came from; also the origin of the manbun: when he was growing his hair out, his dad made a bet that he wouldn't cut his hair before he did. Thus why the two Anglim men have manbuns. And he also said he didn't try to downplay his target, but was hoping by not hiding the target on him he might be able to sway people to look elsewhere, like at who had the numbers and needed to be broken up.

I agree with everything you said here! I think I say that a lot, lol. However, I have to say, if I were Joe I would take a trip to the doctor. Two times he has collapsed perhaps due to blood sugar issues, that sounds a tad bit concerning to me but I am not a doctor.

Also, his emotional tone after he got voted out I think is definitely due to his low blood sugar attack. I have never collapsed but even feeling low at least once a day due to my diabetes is easily one of the most horrible feelings. Your heart pounds, you start sweating and feeling hotter than normal and you start shaking uncontrollably sometimes. its horrible. My heart went out to him in that moment!

• Love 1

I didn't see his exit as "whining" - he was just disappointed and frustrated.  I don't expect anyone to leave TC after getting voted out and be all Merry Sunshine about it.  I think for the most part everyone voted out has been a pretty gracious loser - with the exception of Savage, who sits and sulks in his hat.  I don't know how to link things but I watched a "Survivor chat" video (EW I think?) where he said that a bug was going around camp and right after the loved ones left he was sweating and shaking and had to keep leaving camp to throw up.  He said that Spencer had it too.

• Love 4

I didn't see his exit as "whining" - he was just disappointed and frustrated.  I don't expect anyone to leave TC after getting voted out and be all Merry Sunshine about it.  I think for the most part everyone voted out has been a pretty gracious loser - with the exception of Savage, who sits and sulks in his hat.  I don't know how to link things but I watched a "Survivor chat" video (EW I think?) where he said that a bug was going around camp and right after the loved ones left he was sweating and shaking and had to keep leaving camp to throw up.  He said that Spencer had it too.

That has to be brutal to be sick out there.  I am the biggest baby when I'm sick at home-in a warm place with fuzzy socks, my comforter, and chugging ginger ale.  Out there, I don't know how they push through it.  Of course I don't know how they push through a lot of things out there, from minor cuts to the starvation and dehydration aspect.  As much as I mock some people on this show, they put me to shame in reality that they are out there and I know I couldn't do it lol  Another interview I read with Joe, he mentioned that he hadn't gained back 10 of the pounds he lost while out there.  It sounded like he might still sort of be on the mend.  He didn't play directly back to back like some others have in the past, but maybe his body was just finally starting to get healthy and then he put it through all that again.  And even with all those food rewards!  He also said he never told his family or friends that he was the one who fainted, and that all week they were watching that clip and looking at his hands.  Guess they are sleuths just like us.  

• Love 5

I think that in order to win Survivor, Joe needs to be a lot more proactive about alliances. He seems like a nice enough guy, and is certainly helpful to have around camp, but my impression of him after two seasons is that that's all there is to his social and strategic game. He seems to wait for people to come to him to tell him whose name to write down, rather than trying to build an alliance and/or influence the vote himself. It didn't seem like anyone other than Andrew Savage felt particularly close to him this season (and I think that was more Andrew liking Joe for being such a strong physical competitor, rather than Joe reaching out to Andrew), and I know last season, Jenn wasn't sure if she could trust him after the tribes merged because he didn't make much of an effort to reconnect with her and Hali. He doesn't seem to take any active steps to build trust with people who might help him in the game long-term, nor does he make a case for why people should want to keep him around after the merge, when I think there absolutely is one.

If someone from your alliance keeps winning both the reward and immunity challenges, your allies get the benefits—food and rest rewards (in challenges involving school-yard picks or the winner's choice of who goes on reward with him/her) and your alliance's choice of who goes next. There might even be situations where his ability to craft convincing-looking fake hidden immunity idols could come in handy. It wouldn't be in everyone's best interests to keep Joe around, but I think there are players whose games could benefit from working with someone like him if he were willing and able to do some of the legwork in putting an alliance/tight voting bloc together. Otherwise, people see "immunity threat" who is as likely to work against them as he is to work with them, and he never makes it to the end.

I'm not saying he needs to run around and make final four deals with everyone, but he seems to have an idea that his game is already so visible, that trying to play a strategic one would make him an even bigger target than he already is. In reality, Joe's physical game is always going to make him highly visible, and not playing the strategic and social game doesn't negate that—it just means that he's not important enough to anyone else's game to be protected from getting voted out.

I really like you post and hope if Joe comes back on Survivor that he reads it, because your suggestions would help improve his chances of moving further without changing who he is as a person - which he couldn't and wouldn't want to do, anyway, and for which I won't fault him.

I'm a Joe fan.  Not in the swooning harlequin romance sort of way though. I like Joe for his love of adventure, ingenuity, mild-mannered personality, quest for peace and tranquility, artistic ways, etc.

I think I see a whole new side of him after seeing his father and his Ponderosa video.  His dad is kind of odd and I didn't like his he told Joe he made his dreams come true.  That's a lot of pressure on a kid and completely extreme.  Then watching the Pondersa video, I sensed a lot of extreme emotions from Joe about the game.  He was probably the most distraught about leaving than any one else.  It was as if Joe has a dark underbelly he works hard at dealing with.

I sense Joe is a little lost in life.  THere is more going on with him than we see in the game me thinks.

All of it was just odd.

• Love 6

I'm a Joe fan.  Not in the swooning harlequin romance sort of way though. I like Joe for his love of adventure, ingenuity, mild-mannered personality, quest for peace and tranquility, artistic ways, etc.

I think I see a whole new side of him after seeing his father and his Ponderosa video.  His dad is kind of odd and I didn't like his he told Joe he made his dreams come true.  That's a lot of pressure on a kid and completely extreme.  Then watching the Pondersa video, I sensed a lot of extreme emotions from Joe about the game.  He was probably the most distraught about leaving than any one else.  It was as if Joe has a dark underbelly he works hard at dealing with.

I sense Joe is a little lost in life.  THere is more going on with him than we see in the game me thinks.

All of it was just odd.

Joe and his dad are huge fans of the show, and in one of the bonus videos this week his dad talked about how he had a recurring dream of Joe being on Survivor and getting to be his visitor.  Joe mentioned last season during his Ponderosa vid that he had the very real dream of his dad being there and how hard it was missing out.  I think that might be what dream his dad was talking about.  Of course maybe his dad was already rehearsing lines for when they show up on BvsW 3, too.  Joe's mentioned that, because of the upbringing his dad had, that he was hard on Joe growing up an always pushing him to succeed and be the absolute best at everything he could be.  I thought the moment where his dad talked about Joe being his best friend was a little odd.  Just seemed like a weird time to say that and I can't believe that's the first time he's said that to him.  But maybe I'm wrong.

Joe does seem to take losing this game hard.  And I don't even think it is the money, it is just not finishing 1st.  I appreciate that he has such a strong love for it.  I still believe he was a little off when he first got voted off, but he seemed much better than he did in his Ponderosa vid last season.  He made his goals anyway, and did better.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

I like him, too (and not in the teen girl way, fuck you, Abi).  I don't think he's odd, just artistic, sensitive, spent and competitive and really wanted to make it to the end.  

I didn't think his dad's comments were that odd but I'm a mom of another Amazing person and I feel that way every day.   I imagine in a situation like that you feel the pride and love so strongly you're compelled to say it, cameras rolling and all.  

The lip kisses were cute and funny but I only saw one, and missed some tickling, apparently.  I'm ok with that.  

I thought the tickling was a physical demonstration of spiders crawling on you - as part of his dad talking about what it was like sleeping out in the open like that. He used both hands to sort of walk his fingers across Joe's chest playfully.

My family were mouth kissers hello and goodbye, also. It's just a family thing; maybe it's a weird family thing, as we sure were a weird family! It does look odd. Never liked it. They're dead now.

Unlike most, I don't find Joe to be the greatest survivor player who ever played. I'm fairly neutral on him. But there is never a good time to make a joke about punching a woman in the face, right?

Q: After tribal council, how did you feel?

A: I want to punch Abi in the face, and push Spencer off a cliff.

Maybe it would have been better had he reversed his answer - punch Spencer in the face and push Abi off a cliff.

Seriously. I am an unabashed Joe fan but I think Joe has many flaws in his game that he needs to fix if he wants to win.

Same here.  In Joe's defense, last season he really didn't have anyone willing to play the strategical part of the game with him, because he was deemed a big threat to win.  He had some misfires for sure, and even he said strategically he was terrible.  I think he improved this season, but he had some flaws that may have ultimately led to his downfall.  I think he's a good Survivor player who has such a love for the game (and really goes all out to enjoy every moment).  But the greatest?  I think there's actually very few I would call 'great', tbh.

As for his comments about Abi/Spencer: I don't have any issue with him saying, at that moment, he wanted to punch Abi in the face and push Spencer off a cliff.  He was asked, and I appreciate he didn't hold back.  That's what he felt at that moment, and I'm sure he's over it.  I don't think there's any love lost between him and Abi, and I don't know if he's close to Spencer at all since being home.  I see he has visited Keith and Kimmi.

• Love 4

Same here. In Joe's defense, last season he really didn't have anyone willing to play the strategical part of the game with him, because he was deemed a big threat to win. He had some misfires for sure, and even he said strategically he was terrible. I think he improved this season, but he had some flaws that may have ultimately led to his downfall. I think he's a good Survivor player who has such a love for the game (and really goes all out to enjoy every moment). But the greatest? I think there's actually very few I would call 'great', tbh.

As for his comments about Abi/Spencer: I don't have any issue with him saying, at that moment, he wanted to punch Abi in the face and push Spencer off a cliff. He was asked, and I appreciate he didn't hold back. That's what he felt at that moment, and I'm sure he's over it. I don't think there's any love lost between him and Abi, and I don't know if he's close to Spencer at all since being home. I see he has visited Keith and Kimmi.

I agree. I should add, that while I do not think Joe plays a great game, I also do not think he plays a terrible game as some do. I think his game is decent with definite room for improvement. I personally do not subscribe to the notion that he should try to "bag" challenges. Mostly because I do not think he has that in his makeup. I do think that he needs to have more of a "killer instinct" in his game. His social game is good but if he can combine it with just a bit improved strategic game I think he could be much better. And yes, I definitely think he played better this season.

• Love 1

Are there people who think Joe's the greatest player?  I haven't heard that one.  

Definitely. They're all over Facebook. 

Also forgot to mention he's also visited Savage-and they had matching beanies.

This makes me feel better about how much I just don't like Joe.

• Love 2

Are there people who think Joe's the greatest player?  I haven't heard that one.  

Teenage girls and Stephen Fishbach.

As for his comments about Abi/Spencer: I don't have any issue with him saying, at that moment, he wanted to punch Abi in the face and push Spencer off a cliff.  He was asked, and I appreciate he didn't hold back.  That's what he felt at that moment, and I'm sure he's over it.  I don't think there's any love lost between him and Abi, and I don't know if he's close to Spencer at all since being home.  I see he has visited Keith and Kimmi.

I'm sure that's what also Dan felt at that moment when he was asked about Shirin and said that "someone should slap her and shut her up", but because he isn't Joey Amazing and/or Golden Boy, all the internet police in the world jumped all over it.

I guess I'm just sensitive to things phrased like that, seeing as Abi has been unfairly cyberbullied throughout the season. Whether she played the villain or not, no one deserves to get punched in the face, even as a joke, especially by someone who Abi is certainly no match for. I'm sure there's lots of contestants where there's been no love lost between them (Kass/Tasha, Varner/Tasha, Savage/Ciera/Kass, etc.) but no one has mentioned about feeling like physically hurting someone until now.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 6

I'm sure that's what also Dan felt at that moment when he was asked about Shirin and said that "someone should slap her and shut her up", but because he isn't Joey Amazing and/or Golden Boy, all the internet police in the world jumped all over it.

Damn! You're not wrong.

• Love 1

I am certain that Joe will be back within 4 seasons. I can see him returning multiple times until he wins. He is very, very good at the unlearnable parts of the game.

Rob Cesternino says the strategy is the easiest part to learn. Stephen Fishbach will never learn to be the challenge threat or puzzle master or surviving expert like Joe. But Joe can learn to be strategic.

I suspect the Survivor franchise is latching onto Joe as its newest hero. Who knows maybe he can learn from Tyson , who came back to win after playing more poorly than Joe.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 4

I don't care to rehash the Dan drama, but people were hating on him long before he made that comment about Shirin. And he made stupid remarks after. He gave people a lot of reasons to hate him.  But he wanted to be remembered. Be careful what you wish for.  I've never seen Joe really talk bad about anybody.  

I don't condone Abi being cyber bullied or getting death threats, but she's done enough this season (and during her original season) to make people dislike. In addition, she enjoys playing the villain. Again, be careful what you wish for.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
Winston9-DT3, on 06 Dec 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

Pepperminty, on 02 Dec 2015 - 8:42 PM, said:

Joe is the most worthy survivor. He better win a season some time, even if it's in the next life.

Not exactly the same thing, but close?