Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I honestly still don't know who I am rooting for in this game. I like them both and they're both not Dallas.

Like with the INT Sherman just got, I was simultaneously "aww too bad that's not a TD" and "good job Richard." Apparently I'm hoping for a 0/0 tie.

I'm rooting very hard for the Seahawks, but I've spent the last couple of days worried there's going to be an upset this weekend that won't involve a Patriots loss.  So this trading of interceptions is not helping my nerves. 

• Love 2

Bastet and SophiaD, I'm with you. This was always going to be a tough game and injured or not the Packers are still a great team, but I reeeeeeeeeally want us to win and I'm trying not to scream too loudly since she's studying.

• Love 1

I know that saying this will cement a Seahawks victory, but damn, I hope the Packers win. The only team left in the playoffs that I don't dislike, and the only team where a Super Bowl win wouldn't be treated as 'OMG! Teh Biggest news EVAR!' by the media. No 'Evil Empire Regains the Throne', no 'Luck the Bestest Ever Already', no 'Legion of Boom and Plucky Little Russ' narratives. Just Aaron Rodgers doing Aaron Rodgers things.

• Love 1

In the immediate post-Favre era, I was okay - as okay as someone who likes the Bears can be - with the Packers, but Aaron Rodgers started pissing me off with his mouth a couple seasons ago, so I've been back to disliking them.  I'll grudgingly root for them if they wind up in the Super Bowl against the Patriots, but I would really like the ONE team I've been able to root for this entire miserable post-season to make it to the big game.  So step it up, Seahawks, and maintain possession of the damn ball.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I'm for any team that beats Dallas, so it's Green Bay I'm rooting for. 

I never thought about Seattle one way or another until Richard Sherman started mouthing off.  Can't stand the sight of him.  Then when he, Wilson and that woman had that pic of them eating Thanksgiving dinner on the field on the 49ers logo after Seattle had beaten them, that's when I really started to dislike the whole damn team.  

My cat just greeted halftime by puking up a hairball.  I know how she feels.

I did not see this coming.  A Green Bay upset, yes, unfortunately.  But I was thinking in terms of a back-and-forth game decided by a TD.  Not this bizarre scenario in which Seattle would have had the same results sending in a local high school team in their place.

I'm for any team that beats Dallas, so it's Green Bay I'm rooting for. 

I never thought about Seattle one way or another until Richard Sherman started mouthing off.  Can't stand the sight of him.  Then when he, Wilson and that woman had that pic of them eating Thanksgiving dinner on the field on the 49ers logo after Seattle had beaten them, that's when I really started to dislike the whole damn team.  

He's not even the worst of that group, if you ask me. Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor preen like fucking peacocks after every incomplete pass that went somewhere near them. They're like a gang of bullies from an 80s movie, and Sherman is the slightly sympathetic one who might do the right thing, but ultimately doesn't.

This game just goes to show that, as soon as Marshawn Lynch's body finally starts to fall apart, this team is in serious trouble. No offense other than him. Russell Wilson looks worse than putrid tonight, having to make plays against a half-decent secondary.

*I'm fully aware that I'm just compounding my earlier jinx, and that the Seahawks will now win. So be it.

That play call by Carroll to fake the FG and go for a TD shows why he's just so good at his job. 4 to and GB only has 6 points off them to show it. Hopefully the Packers have better play calling the rest of the game or Seattle can come back and win it.

I know how petty this is but I really hope that Andrew Luck has a bad game too, because I adore Russell Wilson and feel badly for him that he's doing poorly and his receivers aren't helping.

And yes, I'm fully aware that means New England goes to the Super Bowl but I've made my peace with that. I'm all for NE going to Arizona as long as the outcome is the same as the last SB they played there.

I know how petty this is but I really hope that Andrew Luck has a bad game too, because I adore Russell Wilson and feel badly for him that he's doing poorly and his receivers aren't helping.

And yes, I'm fully aware that means New England goes to the Super Bowl but I've made my peace with that. I'm all for NE going to Arizona as long as the outcome is the same as the last SB they played there.

See, I want Luck to win just because of how unbearably smug so many Patriots fans are. Not to mention their QB and Head Coach, and their exhaustively researched exploitation of the rulebook. So I hope Luck beats them in their own house and then gets squashed in Arizona. If the Packers win here, of course. If the Packers lose, then the Colts become the least offensive remaining option, because of Chuck Pagano, Art Jones and Cory Redding.

Dammit.  I knew Seattle scored too quickly on that drive, but was hoping the fact that disaster of a 2-point conversion attempt worked meant luck was on their side and the defense would be able to stop Green Bay.  But since I thought the game was over in the first quarter, I'll just be grateful for overtime.

Russell Wilson - redemption. A bad quarter or three means nothing when you can close out the game.

Still don't want Luck to make it. I want to see Brady face the Legion of Boom (provided Sherman is not dead).

• Love 1

Nooooooooooooooo.

Cannot stand Pete Carroll.   Now we will have tons of media drooling over him like he never cheated in college.   Bringing his team back to the Super Bowl will make all the bad things he has done (including have contact in OTAs which is cheating because it is against the rules) irrelevant.   Just UGH.

• Love 2

Congrats to the Seahawks for winning and going back to the Superbowl. I would have been fine with either them or Green Bay winning today's game, but the Seahawks pulled out the win with a great finish. I enjoyed this game.

• Love 1

I'm done until the Combine. Nothing left to see, especially when the Super Bowl will probably be between two teams I'd rather see the ground open up and swallow.

It will just be a week of Russell Wilson and his pc soundbites, Richard Sherman mouthing about being the bestest and can't nobody stop him, Marshawn Lynch with his nonsense and how many fines he can rack up by not wanting to talk with the media. With the AFC it will be all about Andrew Luck being Peyton Manning's heir apparent and/or Tom Brady truly being the best qb of all time for whatever accolades the media will throw at him during that week. 

Huge props to Green Bay.  They played very, very well and Rodgers is the real deal.  That has to be one of the most improbable wins ever.  Of course, I'm ecstatic, since the Seahawks are my team. 

I hope Sherman is okay. 

Edited by SophiaD

Even if the Giants were going to the Super Bowl, I'd be watching minimal sports media over the next two weeks; it gets really annoying really fast, no matter who is playing.  The media gets more obnoxious about some teams than others, but they're just insufferable as a rule come Super Bowl.

• Love 1

I'm done if the Pats are in. Can't watch two smug ass teams go at it. Heads are going to roll in GB- you guys get a gift with an interception with 5 minutes left and don't even go for a first down. And those calls inside the 10 in the first half. They deserved to lose, but I don't want the Seahawks to win another one. Stupid ass fans booing them in the first half, now cheering for them.

• Love 1

It will just be a week of Russell Wilson and his pc soundbites, Richard Sherman mouthing about being the bestest and can't nobody stop him, Marshawn Lynch with his nonsense and how many fines he can rack up by not wanting to talk with the media. With the AFC it will be all about Andrew Luck being Peyton Manning's heir apparent and/or Tom Brady truly being the best qb of all time for whatever accolades the media will throw at him during that week. 

Yep. I don't even need to watch any of it to predict 80% of the crap the media will spout (that 20% is for stuff that is just too ass-kissingly hyperbolic to believe) any and all of those guys. It's times like this I wish my access to the NFL Network was on a weekly subscription.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine wants to get into this sport and decided, despite my constant admonishments that it was a terrible idea, to choose the Super Bowl as his first game. He wants me to watch with him and explain everything. I'm going to have to tell him that's off now, because I am not watching that game. Especially not in a bar that will probably be full of Patriots fans.

Stupid ass fans booing them in the first half, now cheering for them.

But how loud was the booing? Was it the loudest thing you ever did hear? Did it register on the richter scale? Did it make your ears bleed with the sheer, not-at-all-acoustically-assisted volume of it? 

Edited by Danny Franks

I hope Sherman is okay.

It was his teammate's helmet that caused the injury, right?  I was expecting a temporary stinger, but dude played the rest of the game with one arm.  I hope he heals up quickly.

Well, yourpointis, it would appear that you got your wish.

I am so happy this went for my team, but the Packers were dominating the first half. It would have been a well-deserved victory but I'm so, so, so glad.

• Love 1

Yep. I don't even need to watch any of it to predict 80% of the crap the media will spout (that 20% is for stuff that is just too ass-kissingly hyperbolic to believe) any and all of those guys. It's times like this I wish my access to the NFL Network was on a weekly subscription.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine wants to get into this sport and decided, despite my constant admonishments that it was a terrible idea, to choose the Super Bowl as his first game. He wants me to watch with him and explain everything. I'm going to have to tell him that's off now, because I am not watching that game. Especially not in a bar that will probably be full of Patriots fans.

But how loud was the booing? Was it the loudest thing you ever did hear? Did it register on the richter scale? Did it make your ears bleed with the sheer, not-at-all-acoustically-assisted volume of it? 

OMG I've had family members that have done that to me. Trying to explain the game of football during a superbowl party is the worst possible time to try and explain the Xs and Os. I would have to wait till a preseason game before I would mentally be prepared for a teaching lesson. (especailly since I'm bitter about who is playing lol)

Well, yourpointis, it would appear that you got your wish.

I am so happy this went for my team, but the Packers were dominating the first half. It would have been a well-deserved victory but I'm so, so, so glad.

Yes I got my wish; an exciting game which I prefer than a one sided affair. I should be careful about what I wish for in the future lol. The Packers made the oldest mistake in the book and that was playing not to lose instead of playing to win. 

• Love 1

I hope the postgame presser gives an answer as to why that Packer who intercepted Wilson, with a fuckofalot of field in front of him with five minutes left, slid.

Someone tweeted a pic of a whole bunch of sad Seahawk fans watching from outside the locked doors because they left early. Serves them right.

It was his teammate's helmet that caused the injury, right?  I was expecting a temporary stinger, but dude played the rest of the game with one arm.  I hope he heals up quickly.

Respect to R.Sherman, a gallant effort on his part. Sometimes you can have just as large an impact by being an inspiration and leader as you can with your play. Hope he's OK for the Bowl.

• Love 1

I'm not Christian but I follow enough of Russell Wilson to know that he unapologetically IS. So it makes me very sad to see how much shit he's getting about his post-game interview.

To hell with them, Russell. You be you.

It just occurred to me that to many (MANY) fans, a Carroll vs. Belichick Super Bowl would basically be Satan v. Satan.

• Love 3

It just occurred to me that to many (MANY) fans, a Carroll vs. Belichick Super Bowl would basically be Satan v. Satan.

At the very least, it'll be a game between two coaches who have shown that they're prepared to bend the rules of the game as far as they will possibly go, and then disregard them entirely, if it helps them get wins. But because they do win, the media loves them and will never call them to task for it.

• Love 1
I'm not Christian but I follow enough of Russell Wilson to know that he unapologetically IS. So it makes me very sad to see how much shit he's getting about his post-game interview.

I changed the channel once Wilson started blubbering about God; I'm not going to give him shit about it, but I'm not going to watch it, either.  But as long as he also credited the guys who were actually out on the field playing the game with him for the victory, I don't much care.

Edited by Bastet

They can blame Bostick if they like, but there is no way the Packers should ever have been in a situation to care about a late Seahawks TD. The game should have been over by then. The amount of mistakes the Seahawks made? The Packers should have been putting Matt Flynn in for some reps by the beginning of the 4th quarter.

• Love 1

It does bum me out that Carroll fled USC like his feet were on fire and Reggie Bush basically had to take all the heat and the future Trojans had to take all of the punishment, but Carroll hasn't done anything disingenuous in his two stints in the NFL, has he?

I don't remember...was Vinatieri a free agent? Is that why he left NE?