Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

This crew calling the Bills/Jets, is this CBS's H crew or what? The production values are...sketchy, and Steve Tasker is reporting from somewhere, but I thought he was a color commentator. I don't watch a lot of CBS games so beyond Phil and Jim I don't know many of their announcers. Oh, I think I answered my own question, I'm assuming guys who called yesterday weren't available tonight? But wouldn't there already have been a team in place for this game if it were played yesterday? Or maybe this is that team and the Bills and Jets were going to get CBS's H team.

This is what made me turn off the game in the 1st quarter--that, and the lackluster offense of the Jets. I found the announcers to be quite bland. I know that most announcers don't have a distinctive voice like Al Michaels or Mike Tirico, but a little inflection wouldn't hurt.

Robert Griffin III benched for Colt McCoy, per report

I can't say I'm surprised. I wonder if RGIII would fare better in another offensive system.

Edited by topanga

I was going to post this the other night.

As a Sunday Ticket subscriber, I was "blessed" to have access to the Bills/Jets game.

I've heard Spero Dedes before. I remember him being really polished.

But on Monday night, he had a really horrible accent. I don't know what it was. Maybe Pittsburgh meets Italian mob boss.

Anyways, it was really disturbing and I had to tune out.

Robert Griffin III benched for Colt McCoy, per report

I can't say I'm surprised. I wonder if RGIII would fare better in another offensive system.

I was thinking this as well or he may need a quarterback coach (or a better one if the team already employs one), but now there's an ex-teammate saying that Griffin may be permanately ruined.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/former-teammate-theory-why-rg3-171900605.html

Robert Griffin III has the yips.

'He's short-arming the ball,' Cooley said. 'He has bad technique, he's not setting his feet right … He has the yips. He does have the yips, where the ball's just not coming out of your hand right, so now you've aborted all technique, because you don't have a feel for the ball coming out of your hand, and you're getting this shot-put throw action. You're aiming. He has the yips. He does. He just does.'

The yips are something most closely associated with golfers putting and occasionally with baseball players throwing, with an athlete suddenly unable to do a basic skill he or she has done thousands or even millions of times before.

<snip>

The most famous case came in during the 2000 MLB playoffs when the St. Louis Cardinals' young star pitcher Rick Ankiel suddenly lost the ability to aim his pitches. Ankiel never recovered and eventually reinvented himself as an outfielder.

If RGIII does have the yips, not only does it affect the throws he makes, but it probably also affects his confidence, which could explain why he is not making the throws called for in the game plan and why he is not throwing to wide open receivers.

An athlete with the yips can become consumed with the fear of failure and may avoid those situations at all cost.

Unfortunately for Griffin, there probably won't be a chance for him to switch positions — so if he can't fix the yips, they could end his career.

On of my pet peeves: Seeing other players repeatedly doing another player's signature move: e.g. Cam Newton's Superman or Rodgers' Championship Belt--(The Discount Double Check). I'm not a huge Cam Newton fan, but bruh. Get your own move. It's one thing if you're celebrating a sack or a touchdown when you're actually playing the Panthers or the Packers, but this morning I'm watching footage of players doing the Superman all over the place.

Robert Griffin III has the yips.

I can see that. He can't play quarterback the way he's played his entire life. He's not as quick or mobile due as he used to be due to his injuries, and he's also more tentative when he runs, which sets him up to be hit by the defense. Compare his current running style to Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. When they take off, they take off. No hesitation.

So he's staying in the pocket, partly because it's what the coaches tell him to do, and because he doesn't want to run as much. But he doesn't have time to make good reads due to a weak offensive line, and he's not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady--he's not good at scanning the field and getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds. It's never been one of his strengths. Poor RGIII. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And he is incredibly light for quarterback. Yes, other quarterbacks get sacked, but it takes effort to knock down Big Ben or Eli Manning or even Tony Romo. Meanwhile, you just pop RGIII, and down he goes. Maybe he needs to lift more or take protein supplements (notice I did not say PEDs!).

• Love 1
Poor RGIII. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yeah, I feel sorry for him too, to be honest. The injuries did him in, and then the drama in the locker room. But the NY Jets, Raiders and Jaguars all may want a new quarterback next year. Maybe the Redskins can deal him cheap. Because he will NOT be a Redskin next year. He may just need the right coach and environment around him.

• Love 2

I wish Sanchez were not starting today because it's only about noon and I am already SO OVER rehashing the "buttfumble" which wasn't that big of a deal and the ongoing apparent hilarity of it escapes me. Let it GO, internet.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
I wish Sanchez were not starting today because it's only about noon and I am already SO OVER rehashing the "buttfumble" which wasn't that big of a deal and the ongoing apparetly hilarity of it escapes me. Let it GO, internet.

Makes one wonder if viewers are tired of hearing the same story ad naseum, if sportscasters are tired to talking about the same events over and over. I know I would be if I were an analyst. Mark better do something to get people talking about other facets of his game, because it doesn't look like Nick Foles will be back till week 16.  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/26/nick-foles-may-be-out-longer-than-expected/

Rams Raiders game may move to Indy due to civil unrest in Ferguson

http://talkgridiron.com/ramstalk/2014/11/st-louis-rams-may-move-week-13-matchup-against-oakland-raiders-to-indianapolis/

On of my pet peeves: Seeing other players repeatedly doing another player's signature move: e.g. Cam Newton's Superman or Rodgers' Championship Belt--(The Discount Double Check). I'm not a huge Cam Newton fan, but bruh. Get your own move. It's one thing if you're celebrating a sack or a touchdown when you're actually playing the Panthers or the Packers, but this morning I'm watching footage of players doing the Superman all over the place.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but didn't Rodgers steal this move from another player?

Edited by yourpointis

I may sound insensitive about saying this, but I'll say it anyway: I'm sick of the militarization of the NFL.

It makes me feel so uncomfortable.

I respect our troops, of course. I had an uncle in the U.S. Army who was captured by the Nazis. I have other uncles who weren't American citizens, but joined the U.S. Navy anyway.

I think it's because it's "Salute to Service" month that has got me annoyed, especially when the coaching staffs are wearing camoflage for multiple weeks.

And all these features on the troops, it's almost pandering.

• Love 5

Peter King is explaining over on twitter why no AFC games on Thanksgiving this year.    1) CBS with the new crossflex rules grabbed Lions-Bears.   Although Lions would have been on CBS anyway, I think.   2) the 49ers with their new stadium specifcally asked for no weeknight (so no MNF or TNF) games so they could figure out traffic flow problems without adding in rush hour problems this year.   Since 49ers-Seattle was going to be a primetime game given the recent history, Thanksgiving was the only available primetime slot.   

I may sound insensitive about saying this, but I'll say it anyway: I'm sick of the militarization of the NFL.

It makes me feel so uncomfortable.

I respect our troops, of course. I had an uncle in the U.S. Army who was captured by the Nazis. I have other uncles who weren't American citizens, but joined the U.S. Navy anyway.

I think it's because it's "Salute to Service" month that has got me annoyed, especially when the coaching staffs are wearing camoflage for multiple weeks.

And all these features on the troops, it's almost pandering.

Montana wasn't really a rival of Aikman. Montana's best years were over or he was retired when Aikman was having his most productive years.

And Aikman's numbers look pedestrian even compared to his own contemporaries, not just those of this era. He is in the HOF due to his 3 SB wins, not due to great regular season numbers. Nothing wrong with that, but he always put up good but not necessarily top of the league passing numbers. That was a running based team behind Emmitt SMith.

Yeah, I feel sorry for him too, to be honest. The injuries did him in, and then the drama in the locker room. But the NY Jets, Raiders and Jaguars all may want a new quarterback next year. Maybe the Redskins can deal him cheap. Because he will NOT be a Redskin next year. He may just need the right coach and environment around him.

Jets and Raiders aren't exactly great places to go and play right now, or ever. But he may very well end up elsewhere

Won't be the Jags though. Blake Bortles has struggled more than I expected but they aren't giving up on him yet.

Of all the craptacular teams this year, the one with the brightest future might be the Raiders over the Jets, Bucs, Titans and Jags. They at least have a QB I'd feel comfortable building around in Carr, a legit young star in Khalil Mack, and the presumed #1 pick that they can trade down to some team who wants to get Mariota or Winston.

I can't believe it. I like the outcome of all of the games I watched today (presuming Seattle holds). That NEVER happens. And the only one I feel badly for is the Bears. I don't know what is wrong with them, they have the talent!

I'm glad Mark Sanchez is doing well in Philly. As a Jets fan, he was a hot mess when he was there, but it certainly wasn't all him. Everything from top to bottom was bad. Mark is made for Chip Kelly's system, and it's so obvious to see that he's happy there.

This was only about whether or not Goodell could suspend him indefinitely after only suspending him for 2 games for the same behavior.   It is not an endorsement of what Rice did or even stating that the original punishment was adequate.   A neutral arbitrator heard all the evidence, and ruled that his indefinite suspension was an abuse of discretion.

But remember, teams have broad discretion in cutting players.   Ravens cut him and he remains unsigned by any other team.  Don't expect to see Rice back on the field any time soon.

It's a shame that one bad decision can change someone's life forever. I hope that Ray Rice learns from this ordeal and can move on. I'm not condoning domestic violence but it seems as if he took responsibility from the beginning and had nothing to hide, and is now in counseling and trying to make himself a better person. I have to admire him for that, and for his wife for staying strong and not withering from the media lashing.

Tomorrow's Packers/Pats game is going to be ridiculously good.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Well now reports are Colts are interested, which is a relieving.

Hopefully RIce truly has become a better person and has learned his lesson. I sincerely hope, for his sake and his wife's sake, that is true. The problem is the NFL and pro sports guys have such polished PR people and have been caught lying so many times that even when someone is telling the truth, its hard to believe them.

Just like I hope Robert Mathis' story about using a banned substance so he and his wife could have a baby, I sincerely hope that is the honest truth and if so, a 4 game suspension is well worth the end result. I still have my doubts though.

The reports were 4 teams interested initially and two were NO and Indy.

Indy has since said they don't want him

Also is supposed to be a contending team in need of a RB. That could be Baltimore, NE, Denver, I suppose SF as well as the other two possible teams.

The Saints said they are not interested.   The Ravens would have to be insane to bring him back after cutting him.   Althought it would be one way to make his grievance go away.

Conspiracy theory time:   Teams don't want to be accused of colluding by not signing him.   So a few claim they are interested to "prove" there was no collusion to not sign him.   But then don't because no one really wants this guy right now (2015 is a whole other story).    No claim of colluding but no team has to take on the headache.   Because rich white guys talk all the time about the "right way" to do things.

Dear Patriots please do not add Ray Rice he will be a huge distraction. The local media already hates you don't fuel to the fire.

If they did sign him, after signing Blount and having had Hernandez on their roster, it would be the final nail in the coffin for that ridiculous "Patriot Way" claptrap. Belichick will use any player he thinks will help him win, no matter their character.

Oh, and Baltimore categorically do not need a running back. Justin Forsett has been one of the league's top backs all year, has the highest yards per carry, has gone over 1000 yards already. But because he's not a big name, people seem to think he must be bad. They might need one next year, if Pierce and/or Forsett move on, but that'll be through the draft, I'd imagine.

Ravens choked away a win today, which was predictable as soon as their last drive only produced a FG. That secondary is so very bad, and it's painful to watch them give up first down after first down, allowing drives that last about eight minutes each. Annoying that a seriously dubious PI call was what decided it, just like in Cincinnati earlier in the season.

• Love 3

My guess is Rice is not picked up this year and someone takes him next season once he has shown some more repentance and the story has died down some.

Its a shame because the Colts could REALLY use him, trent richardson remains awful and Boom Herron looks good but keeps fumbling. Still not worth it though.

Tony Dungy would pick up Ray Rice right now if his team was in need of a running back, but wouldn't draft Michael Sam at the beginning of the season due to Sam and his story being too much of a distraction.

I want to apologize to my tv for all of the obscenities hurled its way during the GB NE game, but I meant every word I said to Rodgers and co. for giving New England every opportunity to get back into the game. 

Edited by yourpointis

Well Ray Rice only made a mistake.    Michael Sam has the temerity to talk openly about his sexuality.   Ray Rice is a man's man, see how hard he hit his wife.  Shows how strong and tough he is.   Michael Sam has never exhibited such toughness.

(sarcasm, folks, sarcasm)

• Love 5

Well now reports are Colts are interested, which is a relieving.

Hopefully RIce truly has become a better person and has learned his lesson. I sincerely hope, for his sake and his wife's sake, that is true. 

If it is true, it still won't matter much. The court of public opinion, which believes there's no such thing as repentance or rehabilitation and every transgression is deserving of a life sentence, will not allow for any team to touch him. Maybe next season but I doubt it.

Manziel looked terrible the last drive. As a Bills fan, I am so relieved that he didn't win the game for the Browns. There would be a big hole in my tv. I can't understand all the tongue bathing after one drive. The Bills didn't prepare for him so of course he would do well the first drive- then after they adjusted it was back to normal. Hoyer has won 7 games for them- give him a break.

I thought the PI call was bad- both players had a hand on eachother so if anything it should have both been PI and they cancel eachother out. It's ridiculous that WR get to push off and shove and rarely get it called, but a defensive guy can't get away with it as much.

Edited by twoods

I thought it looked like clear PI, he was grabbing the jersey.

They were grabbing at each other's jerseys, but Levine was looking for the ball, so I don't see how it can be given as PI against him, and not against the Chargers WR as well. Not to mention that the refs then put the Chargers on the one yard line (correctly) after failing to do so for both of the Ravens' end zone PI calls.

Add that to the refs making up new rules for Marvin Lewis's benefit, and this was a really shitty weekend for the Ravens, refs-wise.

Still, if the Ravens had played competently on both sides of the ball, this game would have been over before the end of the third quarter.

• Love 1

1. Donovan McNabb did color for the Saints/Steelers game. It was odd.

2. DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket blacks out a game if it's on local TV. I've been looking forward to the Patriots/Packers game for years...but because it was on local TV, I missed the first few minutes due to the Ravens/Chargers overrun.