Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Carey said:

Speaking of problems, it may appear that the Steelers schedule is a glorified pile of CRAP so far as of this minute

Opening game is in Atlanta.  I hate playing in that dome.  I remember losing in OT in the dome.  

43 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Welp, guess I’m watching “Hard Knocks” this season.

Is it our Giants, finally?

Netflix will air NFL’s Christmas games, a major step for streaming service

Damn.  The antitrust rules need to be rewritten.  Putting games on ESPN and TNT was the first step down the slippery slope.  Then NFLN, then Peacock, and now fucking Netflix.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
12 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Damn.  The antitrust rules need to be rewritten.  Putting games on ESPN and TNT was the first step down the slippery slope.  Then NFLN, then Peacock, and now fucking Netflix.

I bring this up every time a new streaming service gets games.  My coworker like millions of people doesn't have broadband in his area.  And he sure doesn't have Netflix.  

• Like 1

Don't forget Amazon Prime.  Nothing yet for Paramount, but I'd bet on exclusive Paramount Plus or whatever in an event something outstanding takes place.  For instance, Sony's purchase

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Carey said:

Don't forget Amazon Prime.  Nothing yet for Paramount, but I'd bet on exclusive Paramount Plus or whatever in an event something outstanding takes place.  For instance, Sony's purchase

Paramount Plus already has the local game of subscribers.  Last year one Sunday my cable was out so I streamed the game.

(edited)
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

I'll give him a chance. You never know, he could end up being entertaining and well spoken.

ANYONE'S better than Romo.

Yeah. And the Cowboys might actually win the Super Bowl this upcoming season. 

Tom Brady is going to suck. His know it all personality, full of himself mentality, & absolute smugness is going to make watching the NFL on FOX even more unbearable. I'm also certain that Tom Brady will find a way to root for the Cowboys in Week 1 & throughout the season. I'll tolerate Tony Romo over Tom Brady everytime.

The 2024 NFL Schedule will air on ESPN2 & the NFL Network tonight at 8pm. Gee, how exciting. 😒

It'll air for 2 hrs on ESPN2 & 3 hrs on NFL Network. I'm only going to tolerate 1 hr for this. Then, its back to NFL Summer Vacation for me. Pretty much anymore than an hour of this will bring in the migraines.

Edited by Magog

Magog, all of the 272 games will be disclosed by then.  So if you can find out, you could save time & do something else.  That's what I'll be doing.  Though I'll still end up on the DVR for the future

1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

Is it our Giants, finally?

It is!  Premiering July2 on HBO.  Another streaming service I have, that I’m sure will eventually have football and baseball too.

I JUST WANT TO TURN ON THE TV AND WATCH A GAME

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Oh, yeah, I forgot effing AP, which I have but never watch any more since they started charging extra not to have ads.  But nobody likes TNF anyway.

Yeah Thursday Night Football sucks.

Wasn't doesn't suck as much as I thought was the Steelers schedule.  It's still not good at all, but that's football.  Life is not fair.

If there's ever a case to complain, I think the Bengals have a valid argument.  Though I haven't checked to see if Cincinnati has an open date during Week 12

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

I JUST WANT TO TURN ON THE TV AND WATCH A GAME

Testify.  I even have access to some of these streaming services via others (I don't find them worth paying for), but I'm annoyed by having to be logged into one, on the one TV I have set up for that, rather than just being able to have the game on any and all TVs I want, and go around the dial during commercials. 

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Stick to football, Harrison.

Go find a fire to die in, Harrison, but, yeah, that'll work, too.

• Like 6

I was just reading through CBS Sports's rundown of something to like and something to dislike for each team with the 2024 schedule, and I find it absolutely ludicrous that there will be teams playing 3 games in a 10-day span. Like, WTF? The second game for each is gonna be like the Thursday Night games, garbage because of the shorter prep and recovery time. I can't even imagine how bad the third game will be. What's below garbage? Nuclear waste?

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Player safety?  Never heard of it.

No worries, the fans will draw a line in the sand and send the message that they're perfectly happy to watch even crappy football regardless of the risk to player health because football!  Oh wait, that's actually a bad message to send.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, baldryanr said:
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Player safety?  Never heard of it.

No worries, the fans will draw a line in the sand and send the message that they're perfectly happy to watch even crappy football regardless of the risk to player health because football!  Oh wait, that's actually a bad message to send.

If a schedule release of a sport is more popular than actual games in other sports, including their biggest games...what are you going to do?  Keep in mind that the objective of the show was addressed throughout the day on Wednesday.

I'd be a solid hypocrite if I were irate over it, given that I could have read a novel on Wednesday nights in lieu of this season of Survivor.  It isn't great; it would obviously be tragic if someone's life ended over the grind of the sport, but until proven otherwise, no way the league changes its ways

• Like 1
On 5/16/2024 at 11:19 AM, Black Knight said:

, and I find it absolutely ludicrous that there will be teams playing 3 games in a 10-day span.

Yep my team has to do that.  One good thing at least the games are in the same time zone.

13 hours ago, Calvada said:

Hmm, I wonder where Taylor Swift will find the inspiration for her next series of songs.  

I'm guessing if there is a wedding that guy won't be invited.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, mojoween said:

What in the nine hells is this abomination?  You know, some things from the past BELONG in the past.

It looks like a Rocket Pop.

The Chiefs' PR department is really using cut and paste a lot this off-season:

"We are aware of Player X's statement/action/arrest but have no further comment."

The latest incident just involves arrests for misdemeanor possession of marijuana by two players; presumably the Benedictine Sisters won't issue a statement denouncing it.  So a win for the Chiefs' organization?  

Whoever gave final approval to the Giants' commemorative uniform should be drug-tested immediately. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 7:39 PM, mojoween said:

Stick to football, Harrison.

For those who haven't heard, the Benedictine nuns who founded the college where Butker gave his infamous speech have delivered the verbal equivalent of a sharp rap on the knuckles with a rule to Mr. Butker, including actual Catholic doctrine that completely refute his entire wrongheaded rant.  As any of us who've attended Catholic schools could've told him, 'Don't piss off the nuns or they will make you pay'.  Suggesting that a woman's main purpose in life is to be a wife and mother and anything else she does is just not important is probably not the smartest thing to say to a nun.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/benedictine-sisters-mount-st-scholastica-100700734.html?

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
  • Applause 5
On 5/14/2024 at 11:33 AM, bluegirl147 said:

Wonder what the odds are he knocks him out again? Asking for a friend.

Token 49ers fan here - we're hoping he can do it in 3 plays this time.

On another note Jim Otto has passed away.  He played all of his career for the Raiders with number 00 on his jersey.  He was the first AFC player to be voted into the Hall of Fame.

• Sad 1

Very amused by the dad-bod fat-shaming darts thrown Patrick’s way today.

Too bad QB1 doesn’t keep mental notes on every. Fucking. Word! said about him.

What a “Death, Destroyer of Worlds”, nasty, competitive prick he’d be otherwise.

• LOL 1

This is mean Sportscenter....funny...true but mean. Good thing the Yankees (or Dodgers) are playing well so at least some Cowboy fans won't feel to bad 😂

• Fire 1
  • LOL 4
7 minutes ago, Carey said:

Well, can't wait for the 2026 NFL Draft!

I know!  Pittsburgh, the city, knows how to throw a party. I have friends who are already planning on going.

12 hours ago, shoregirl said:

This is mean Sportscenter....funny...true but mean. Good thing the Yankees (or Dodgers) are playing well so at least some Cowboy fans won't feel to bad 😂

It is not mean. I find it very funny. And its going to be 29 after next season. Jerry Jones should be downright irritated & ashamed about that. But, he's too stupid, money-hungry, & fame-whorish to realize that & fix it. 

• Like 4

Ring night!!!

529 diamonds, 38 rubies; the inscriptions “Back to Back” and “Overtime”; the “Tom & Jerry” play that won it all, diagrammed on the inside.

After tonight, we put it away, but damn proud of my boyz.  Wish I was at the museum tonight…I’d be shrieking and crying out “I love you!!!” to every passing Chief.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

Feels like Lawrence hasn’t quite done enough to be worth 275.

Exactly.  None of the upcoming 4 & 5 yr QBs are worth that amount right now.

If this pace keeps up, by the time CJ Stroud gets out if his rookie deal (if he continues his rookie pace), he'll be making 1/2 billion.

I feel for Jags fans.  As a Browns fan, watching your overpaid prima dona QB getting gobs of money tossed at them at the expense of fans (either via tickets & concessions or pay-per-view) is frustrating.

10 hours ago, twoods said:

I’m flabbergasted that six QBs make more annually than Patrick Mahomes. How in the world is that possible?

Maybe he gets bonuses.  Maybe he takes less so the team can keep other players.

Mahomes retains the distinction of having the highest contract value of any NFL QB, and it's not close.

He broke records when he signed his original 10-year extension and he broke records again when the Chiefs re-did his contract in 2023. They're going to revisit the contract in 2026 and unless his career has been derailed by injuries, he will break records again.

He has a lot in guaranteed money but also a lot in bonuses to make it team-friendly. I don't think he's taking hometown discounts the same way Brady did, but of course Robert Kraft made up a lot of that for Brady in side businesses, so it wasn't really a hometown discount in the sense of costing Kraft less money. All Brady really sacrificed was bragging rights as the highest paid QB.

Hard Knocks debuting on Tuesday means today on the NFL Network is all Giants, all the time, and I am here for it.  Especially because Super Bowl XXXV is not on the docket.

• Like 1
On 6/30/2024 at 4:14 PM, mojoween said:

Hard Knocks debuting on Tuesday means today on the NFL Network is all Giants, all the time, and I am here for it.  Especially because Super Bowl XXXV is not on the docket.

I'm not ready for some football.  It's 110 in the shade and that's the good part of the weather.  Way too early to think about how Big Blue is going to mail it in this year.  Last year's Hard Knocks was interesting because for once they booked a creditable team.

YouTube TV wants $450 for Sunday Ticket.  Not a chance in hell.  Never paid close to that much in all the years I had it with DirecTV.  They always were able to work some deal to keep me a customer, and the last few years we listed my DD as the user so she could get me the college student rate.

I'll still have to subscribe to something to get NFL Red Zone.  Probably Sling Blue, while I have the local games playing on my tablet or something.  ESPN is on Sling Orange but they replay their games that night on NFL Network which is on Blue.  One thing about DirecTV streaming Sunday Ticket was that it was pretty easy to toggle between ticket games and the local networks.

On 7/4/2024 at 1:11 AM, meowmommy said:

I'm not ready for some football.  It's 110 in the shade and that's the good part of the weather. 

I'm not even close to being ready for football. NFL Summer Vacation is still going strong (till Labor Day), It feels like summer right now, & NFL offseason coverage is downright stomach turning & migraine-inducing. 

• Like 1
On 7/4/2024 at 5:47 PM, mojoween said:

This guy (who based on the handle I am assuming is a Steelers fan) woke up and chose violence 

I thought of stealing whatever it is was the GAGE posted on Twitter, but then I would have been labeled as a fan of New England

For those utilizing YouTube Television, the Sports Plus add-on is pretty sweet.  It has some great content that you can enjoy year round.  Not much more FWIW, but you'll just have to remember to cancel in January & then add it back in August

As mentioned, no need for DirecTV.  It would have to be complementary for me to enjoy that service again.  With Scott Hanson taking care of everything, it's a surprise that DirecTV still exists!