Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Thinking back to all the past late night comedians, I wonder how they would've felt if Aaron said to them what he said to Kimmel.  I think Letterman's response would've been typical; one where he may or may not care but handle it professionally and move on.

I think Leno would not have given a damn.  In fact, he probably would've gone lower than Rodgers with a typical response

On a totally different note (after all, he's never faced Mahomes): Kansas City has the lead in terms of AFC West titles at 16.  Everyone else is tied for second at 15.  Denver last one theirs in 2015

• Like 1

Could not STAND Joe Flacco when he was in Baltimore.  And now, this tweet makes me happy for the guy.  How the turn tables.

And also, fucking hell Cleveland.  More people would like you if you didn’t have a 230 million dollar albatross on your roster.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Here is my guess as to how the field will look after the 272nd game:

AFC

Baltimore
Buffalo
Kansas City
Jacksonville
Cleveland
Miami
Indianapolis

NFC

San Francisco
Dallas
Detroit
New Orleans
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Green Bay

I'll refrain from picking who'll beat whom since the list & the actuals will be different.  Though I think Baltimore and San Francisco will face in Vegas next month

(edited)

I don't know if Pitt needs help making the playoffs, but they always play the Ravens tough, it's raining and the Ravens are sitting a lot of starters.  I wouldn't rule them out.

ETA:  I was a bit worried about sitting starters, rest vs rust, but with the rain, I think it swings the vote more towards sitting vs injury potential.

And I'm out of the loop.  I have no idea what Rodgers said.

Edited by Johannah
7 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

Aaron shouldn't have said what he did, but Kimmell seems to have free reign on his show to talk shit about prominent people without repercussions.  Some comedians don't like it when the tables are turned on them. (Again, I'm not condoning what Aaron said). 

It's literally his JOB.  I'm sorry, I'm 100% on Kimmel's side.

If you can't take the heat, shut the h up abt your conspiracy theories and wacky politics.  IMO Rodgers likes to spout crap, whether he believes it or not, to keep his name & face percolating.

He put Kimmel's family in danger, because you know there're other wack jobs who will go aft those names on Epstein's list. 

Would you want yo be associated with a predator & pedofile?

29 minutes ago, Johannah said:

I don't know if Pitt needs help making the playoffs, but they always play the Ravens tough, it's raining and the Ravens are sitting a lot of starters.  I wouldn't 

And I'm out of the loop.  I have no idea what Rodgers said.

He 'jokingly' accused Jimmy Kimmel of being afraid for when the Epstein list of names comes out.

• Like 2
  • Applause 10
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

Aaron shouldn't have said what he did, but Kimmell seems to have free reign on his show to talk shit about prominent people without repercussions.  Some comedians don't like it when the tables are turned on them. (Again, I'm not condoning what Aaron said). 

This is what Rodgers said: "A lot of people, including Jimmy Kimmel, are really hoping that doesn't come out ... If that list comes out, I will definitely be popping some sort of bottle."  Rodgers directly linked him to a sex predator and trafficker without any evidence; there's no way to spin that as Kimmel not liking the tables being turned on him because that's not what comedians like him really do and because, in this particular instance, Rodgers' specious statements could endanger Kimmel and his family, as @roamyn said.

If, for example, Kimmel wanted to hit back in an analogous way, he could say this: "A lot of closeted NFL players, including Aaron Rodgers, are really hoping no one outs them.  I'd pop a champagne bottle if they all came out on their own."  There's been a LOT of chatter about Rodgers' sexuality over the years, so there'd be more merit to such a statement than there was to Rodgers' comment about Kimmel.  Kimmel hasn't done that, though, because he's stuck to critiquing and satirizing the plethora of garbage Rodgers has actually spewed forth in the last few years without speculating about something Rodgers hasn't publicly said or done.

• Like 4
  • Applause 9
  • Useful 1

i had a very pithy post about Aaron Rodgers eaten by the site. it was in response to a post by Bastet which provided a link to Rodgers being named as most inspirational by his Jets' teammates. I said I hoped he had inspired Kimmel to sue Rodgers for slander - or would it be defamation? What would be the proper legal action? Anyway, I'm sure the lawyers are busy right now. IMO what Rodgers said is not the same as Kimmel mocking him for his beliefs on various issues. Rodgers was linking Kimmel to a child sex trafficker. If I were Kimmel I'd be going after the $1 million McAfee is paying Rodgers to appear on his program. A settlement which requires that sum of money go to organizations supporting victims of sex trafficking seems very appropriate.

In the other part of my post, I said as a Packers fan I wish Rodgers would stop talking about the Packers and Jordan Love. Love does not need to hear Rodgers' analysis of his play. And when talking about the Packers/Bears rivalry earlier this week, Rodgers said "us" when referring to the Packers. Us???? He's no longer a Packer and this Packers fan is very grateful for that. Not only has Rodgers become a troll, I appreciate having a QB who is able to nurture a relationship with his receivers, not call them out on the field.  

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I am a Packers fan but Rodgers has far outlived his usefulness as a player and a commentator. The worst part of his quote is the "crack a bottle open" part. Maybe I'm odd but celebrating the legacy of the abuse of children is not something to brag about. So, Rodgers and all the others that think this is a parlor game, sit down and shut up on crap you know nothing about.

I live in MN and all week the media has been theorizing all the different ways that the Vikings could get into the playoffs. I laugh at that as they never really played like they WANTED the playoffs. Tomorrow, they'll try Mullens. On the last game, they still are playing pick a QB, any QB. That's not a team I can get behind. Even when they had Cousins, consistency was not his strongest suit.

Meanwhile, the Packers are doing it right. Stay with one QB and get him used to playing and trust that the team will eventually gel around him. The Vikes are borrowing a page from an old Who song "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss". Well, this Minnesotan "won't get fooled again".

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

In the other part of my post, I said as a Packers fan I wish Rodgers would stop talking about the Packers and Jordan Love. Love does not need to hear Rodgers' analysis of his play. And when talking about the Packers/Bears rivalry earlier this week, Rodgers said "us" when referring to the Packers. Us???? He's no longer a Packer and this Packers fan is very grateful for that. Not only has Rodgers become a troll, I appreciate having a QB who is able to nurture a relationship with his receivers, not call them out on the field.  

And this is what I mean by Rodgers constant, pathological need to be in the media's eye.  If it isn't his weird ideas or theories, then he's commenting on something that doesn't pertain to him.  And while I like McAfee, his need to tongue slather everything Rodgers says is pathetic.  McAfee needs to stop giving this man a platform!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
31 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

And C.J. Stroud probably locked up ROY. DeMeco Ryans is a strong candidate for COY, but I think Stefanski is going to win that.

I agree.  Now we need the Jags to win.  I don't want to play 'The Strouds' (tm Tom Grossi) in the Wild Card.

Too bad there's no OC otY.  Bobby Slowick definitely would deserve that.

(edited)
8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

And C.J. Stroud probably locked up ROY. DeMeco Ryans is a strong candidate for COY, but I think Stefanski is going to win that.

Is there a hottest COY?  Because DeMeco would win that over Kevin all day and twice on Sunday.

There have to be some snow games today?  Hopefully?

Houston has been more consistent this year so it’s not a surprise they won, but I found myself oddly rooting for Indy.  That poor kid who dropped the ball at the end…but then again, maybe the defense could have stepped up on one or five drives before that?  And maybe on third and 1 don’t start in shotgun?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Is there a hottest COY?  Because DeMeco would win that over Kevin all day and twice on Sunday.

Hottest as in sexiest?  Because while Demeco is an attractive man, Kevin's gray beard does it for me.  Of course I'm older and hubby has one of those.

• Wink 1

I'm curious as to what the attendance will be at Gillette Stadium will be today to watch a meaningless game between two of the most tragic teams in the league in what can only be described as incredibly gross weather.

• Like 1
(edited)

The last week of the regular season is why the NFL does not need to expand.

Eight divisions, four teams each, two games each…perfect.  (Of course, a 16-game season was also perfect, and we see how that went)

I’m giving NY/NE one broadcast view, because Tennessee/Jacksonville, even with stakes, is less interesting to me.

I couldn’t find anything to watch for an hour so turned on FOX’s pregame.  Is it always just a schill for other FOX shows?

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

The last week of the regular season is why the NFL does not need to expand.

Eight divisions, four teams each, two games each…perfect.  (Of course, a 16-game season was also perfect, and we see how that went)

Gee, thanks a lot Roger Goodell & Jerry Jones. Freaking losers. Other than these jackasses, who in the hell asked & wanted Week 18 games?

I really hate that Week 18 exists & I can't even remotely get that excited about today's games. I'm not even remotely interested in which sucky team from the NFC South will win that division.

I’m giving NY/NE one broadcast view, because Tennessee/Jacksonville, even with stakes, is less interesting to me.

Thankfully, it's kind of snowing right now in Foxboro (Jets vs Patriots) so that game will at least keep me awake from these Week 18 1pm 3 hour nap edition games. 

As for 4pm games, the only thing that matters is that the Cowboys somehow loses against the sucky worthless Commanders. Sadly, that game will pretty much be a home game to the Cowboys. Frankly, I find the drama from the wretched NFC East really sickens my stomach.

I couldn’t find anything to watch for an hour so turned on FOX’s pregame.  Is it always just a schill for other FOX shows?

I don't know. All I know is that it isn't worth a damn.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

Hottest as in sexiest?  Because while Demeco is an attractive man, Kevin's gray beard does it for me.  Of course I'm older and hubby has one of those.

Why not a COY year sandwich? I’m down. 

• LOL 5
(edited)

Was it snowing in Carolina too?!

Chris Myers and Robert Smith continually discussing Belichick’s job status borders on ghoulish.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1

Bills are in regardless of tonight’s game because the Jags lost, right? I’m extremely happy, but gutted for the Jags. Wonder what charity the Bills mafia will donate to for the Titans. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Jacksonville after week 12 was 8-3. The only team they beat in the last six weeks was Carolina. What a collapse. 

It's the "Curse of the Terrible Towel".

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Is there a hottest COY?

There sure is.  It's Bill Belichick.  And no; it's not for his looks.  It's for some guy whose seat is so damn hot that that man gets hot enough.  Therefore, you get your hottest coach

Just now, twoods said:

The Giants/Eagles score is shocking. I guess the Eagles don’t want to win their division. 

And Dallazz can rest their starters in the second half. The Iggles are pathetic today.

• Sad 1

If Tampa beats Philadelphia next week, I hope people realize that the former is rather surging late in the season before whining that a team from the NFC South gets to host a double-digit winning team.  If you're good enough to be in the playoffs you should be able to win anywhere

• Applause 3
4 minutes ago, twoods said:

The Giants/Eagles score is shocking. I guess the Eagles don’t want to win their division. 

I've been a Giants fan far too long to assume the Giants won't find a way to screw this up. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Are the Eagles a walking M*A*S*H unit?  Yes.

Were the Giants eliminated from the playoffs two weeks ago?  Also yes.

Would a Giants win help the Cowboys?  Unfortunately, yes.  Fuck Dallas.

Would I ever root for my team to lose?  FUCK no.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Fuck Dallas.

I was just coming here to say that. And since it can't be said enough....

Fuuuuuuuccckkkk Dallas. (And, thank you Jacksonville Jags! Bwak, bawk!)

Edited by 24k Kate
  • Like 1

All 14 playoff spots are officially occupied.  The only thing left is whether Miami will pay the price with their continued playoff drought (in terms of a victory) or if Buffalo will blow it.  Though if the Bills lose, they'd get a second chance against Miami in the same venue.  Not sure about the Dolphins chance at Arrowhead.  IDC that Kansas City "sucks" this year.  They sorta took the week off, and glorified playoff success is not something to overlook

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Well.  Washington certainly did not hold up their end of the bargain.  

It wouldn't have mattered.  We'd have had to root against Big Blue, which was definitely not happening.  Is Brian Daboll going to keep his job?

1 minute ago, Carey said:

Though if the Bills lose, they'd get a second chance against Miami in the same venue.  Not sure about the Dolphins chance at Arrowhead.

I think Miami's going to feel some Hard Knocks tonight.  I believe they've beaten one team with a winning record, and the Bills kicked their butts earlier this season.

(edited)

It sure does.  It might also make San Francisco a little nervous since the Rams might be the only team that would test the Niners.  Gotta escape Detroit though.  It's sorta like 2014 where Baltimore was the only team that was capable of putting the scare in New England.

So Dallas got the two seed, which continues the streak of the failed NFC East title defense since 2005.  Oh great.

The good news is that the game against the Packers has to be played.  The Cowboys haven't had the best of times against Green Bay.  While the dates of this calendar year perfectly match with the last time Dallas knocked off the other two money NFL franchises, doing the same thing this year isn't a bet I'll be making.  Though it is possible if Trent Williams, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and maybe a great QB or two that wore purple in the past ALL get HURT.

I think this might be the year that a 2 seed fails to play in the divisional round for the first time (thanks but thanks to Roger and Jerry).  Not something I'd bet on; probably would have if the matchup was Miami vs Pittsburgh or Dallas vs Los Angeles.  Though I could see Buffalo taking out Miami if they lost tonight, but they'd have to throw the game to do that.  Plus, I hardly think Buffalo would want any part of Baltimore ASAP.  Better to travel there in 3 weeks.  Or stay all home since Cleveland may be the only/best team to knock off the Ravens on 01/21

Edited by Carey

Carrie Underwood’s lyrics said something like “a division winning battle” is on tonight.  So does NBC call her up at the beginning of the week like “hey Carrie, can you lay down this line and email it to us?”

• LOL 3

I'm going to assume that one or both will be on that Head Coaching & Front Office Changes section on the 2024 NFL Wikepedia page after I refresh within 24 hours from now, which will still be technically Monday

Jameis Winston and the Saints offense overruled their coach and went for the TD from the victory formation because they wanted Jamaal Williams to get a TD because he hadn't gotten one all season long.  Seriously?  It's not like Williams is a HOFer in his final game.  So Allen gets cursed out on the field and has to begin his post-game press conference with an apology to the Falcons and Smith.  If I were with Saints ownership, I'd fine every player who was out there for that final play for insubordination.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Jameis Winston and the Saints offense overruled their coach and went for the TD from the victory formation because they wanted Jamaal Williams to get a TD because he hadn't gotten one all season long.  Seriously?  It's not like Williams is a HOFer in his final game.  So Allen gets cursed out on the field and has to begin his post-game press conference with an apology to the Falcons and Smith.  If I were with Saints ownership, I'd fine every player who was out there for that final play for insubordination.

They're more likely to fire Allen tomorrow because his players clearly don't respect him, and it's easier to can the coach.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

Well, apparently the players went rogue and decided they really wanted to get Jamaal Williams a touchdown.  It is kind of dubious to set up for a kneel down only to run it in for real - that's inviting your future opponents to go all out and try to flatten you the next time you're in a position to run out the clock.

Maybe Greg Schiano was right after all.

By all means, run up the score to get a garbage touchdown that your guy couldn't get in 17 games.  Just do it from the regular formation.

• Like 4

I think Allen is done regardless of that final segment.  We'll see Re: Smith, but as meowmommy pointed out, if it had to happen, don't do it in victory formation.  Especially against a division foe like Atlanta

• Like 1