Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Jets played without both starting CBs today. Makes this even more wild. 

Meanwhile, while it's a valid reason that losing Deebo, CMC, and Williams in-game is not good for the Niners, Cleveland played without Chubb and Watson.  Nick isn't coming back & DeShaun isn't who he once was, but that "isn't nothing" either.

Looks like Samuel will be alright.  CMC's status worries me; even Florio doesn't know.  I haven't checked to see what Glazer said, but if he has nothing to update people on, that is not good news

Just now, twoods said:

More Mark Sanchez, please. Loved his commentary today, and he has a voice that is soothing to listen to.

Maybe Fox can put Mark and Greg together.  Who cares about play-by-play

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The 49ers got absolutely boned on that last Cleveland drive with shit calls

The call on Gibson was Unnecessary Roughness, not Targeting.  The TV guys were confused on what the penalty was.

And the Browns got hosed by the TD being called back on a bad penalty.

For the record I'm normally a Brownie, but I've been rooting for the 49ers, as they're fun to watch.  And I hate the Haslams.

I still couldn't help but feel proud of our Defense tho.  And pissed that the 49ers were celebrating before the missed kick, and for instigating the pre-game scuffle.

ETA, Sorry for the duplicates

Edited by roamyn
51 minutes ago, Carey said:

Meanwhile, while it's a valid reason that losing Deebo, CMC, and Williams in-game is not good for the Niners, Cleveland played without Chubb and Watson.  Nick isn't coming back & DeShaun isn't who he once was, but that "isn't nothing" either.

Looks like Samuel will be alright.  CMC's status worries me; even Florio doesn't know.  I haven't checked to see what Glazer said, but if he has nothing to update people on, that is not good news

Maybe Fox can put Mark and Greg together.  Who cares about play-by-play

Difference being, the Browns knew those guys were  going to play and practiced without them (obviously). The Niners had to plug holes as the game went along, and Purdy didn't adapt well. 

Geez, can the Bills go one season without a player being taken off the field in an ambulance? Although it was good to see Harris give a thumbs up other stretcher. Damar Hamlin looked gutted on the sidelines, it probably brought back some hard memories. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

The Super Bowl is a communal event; people don't tend to watch it alone.  At 10:00am on a Sunday, people on the West Coast are not going to be hosting or attending Super Bowl parties or going to bars, pubs, or restaurants (most of which wouldn't even be open at that hour unless breakfast/brunch was served, which would rule out all bars and almost all pubs) to watch the Super Bowl.  It's such an exceedingly stupid idea that only Roger Goodell could've conjured it.

Not that I'm in favor of the idea, but certainly the bars and pubs would make an exception for the day of the Super Bowl and open early rather than miss out on such big business, which Goodell certainly knows. Many of them already do that for the World Cup. And on the west coast the Sunday NFL slate starts in the 10am hour, so people are used to it.

Hosts may well like the thought that any party they host won't necessitate cleaning up in the evening, and employers would certainly like the reduced absenteeism the following day.

I suspect the corporate fat cats who attend will have the final say on this one. They do like destination Super Bowls, but it's quite a trek to London from most parts of the U.S.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, twoods said:

They could have called a second PI on that play. Tyrod Taylor already seems like a step up from Jones.

They scored 9 points, and Taylor was the one who changed the call to a run at the end of the first half to run out the clock.  Taylor is a good veteran back up QB. but he's the backup for a reason.

Sorry.

I just have developed a a bit of a sore spot this season about the media trashing Jones for what has gone down with this team so far in 2023. Not all of them, but enough snide comments that it's bothering me. (I even heard somebody yesterday say that he things Daboll is the next Eric Mangini, one good year and that's it.)

My thing is, I'm not okay with victim-blaming Jones for the Giants being on pace to break the all time single season sack record. One guy, an ex-QB, said last week that he watched one play where it was Jones 's fault for not making a hot read and getting sacked. Which fine, but the Giants were on pace to get sacked 104 times going into last night. Are we saying that Jones not making the hot read is going to be responsible for the 60 sacks over a reasonable amount? And if that's a problem with his game, why did it suddenly pop up in his 5th season?

Sigh.

At least last night the TV crew pointed out exactly how bad a situation the Giants OL has been.  Interestingly enough, even though he was straight off the couch, Pugh helped them become a serviceable bunch in the second half last night. It seems like a veteran with some savvy was a much needed voice with all of the super inexperienced guys the Giants were trotting out as injury replacements.

You are so kind.  But Tyrod Taylor is a backup because some clown stabbed him in the lung.  Daniel Jones should not be a starting QB for any team in the NFL and they are going to regret that contract HARD.  

• Like 2

fwiw I was in Tokyo for the 18-1 season, and they had bars open before 6 am for the game. I paid $50 for all you can drink beers and a buffet breakfast at halftime. Apparently, this bar put on English Premier league games so they were used to opening early. Fun fact - you don't get the commercials on the international feed, so on the breaks they just had the players milling around on the field. 

tbh, I don't think I'd like too early of a kickoff. No one around here has parties or anything so I usually make nachos or pizza and chat here and watch the game. It's not putting me out in that sense, but I like to get up and get ready. 

I hung out with a sports journalist from one of the local papers. 

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

they are going to regret that contract HARD.  

It's only two years of guaranteed money. $82 million in total. If they end up drafting like 5th or 6th, and they see a Justin Herbert or Josh Allen type prospect sitting there (which is around where they went in their drafts), there is absolutely nothing about the Jones contract that would prevent then from picking a QB.

They can essentially move on from Jones in 2025 with a doable amount of dead money. 

This isn't like what the other QBs got this year. The Ravens are on the hook with Llamar Jackson through 2026-2027.  For example, let's say that for some reason they felt that they need to do something else at QB in 2026. Maybe an injury problem, maybe he's just slowed down, or whatever.

His cap hit for the Ravens is $74,650,000 in 2026.  If they want to release him, they'll still carry $54,800,000 of dead money that year. 

If the Giants are done with Jones in 2025, they'll carry like $22M of cap hit. He can be shown the door with no pain.

And Tyrod Taylor is the backup for a reason that has nothing to do with which Giants quarterback makes more money. The Atlantic summed up the way I feel about it a long time ago, and thank you internet for saving it for me.

The line I go to, and did here today, is:

In many NFL cities, the most popular player is the dude on the sidelines making hand signals, wearing a pristine jersey and an un-bent ballcap, the guy who has yet to throw a drive-killing, soul-destroying interception... 

Look, here's the historical truth about backup quarterbacks: They're not wearing headsets by accident. If your team is super-super-super lucky, Drew Bledsoe begets Tom Brady; if your team is merely super-super lucky, Beldsoe begets Tony Romo. Congrats. You are now in the 1 percent. Most of the time and for mostly everyone else, a quarterback switch means swapping Derek Anderson for Max Hall, a 1980s junk bond for an—ahem—AAA-rated subprime mortgage security.

Eagles probably would have won if they weren't trying so hard to cover the spread for their fans.  Common sense- with a lead, and only a few minutes left you try to take as much time off the clock as possible. Make the opponents use their timeouts.  Punt and make opponent start from deep in their own territory.  Have some faith in your own defence.   Zach Wilson is not exactly Tom Brady when it comes to game winning drives.

Tonight's MNF game is an absolute hate-watch type of game featuring 2 absolute wretched scummy unrootable teams. Even if the scummy Chargers win the game, I'll still feel some type of way about it because they're the Chargers. 

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers find a way to choke this game away like they usually do. 

I just don’t understand how a defensive player is supposed to tackle someone who is leading with their helmet. Even if they tackle with their shoulder they will still hit their helmet and get a penalty. I know you’re protecting the players but come on.

• Like 2

In a surprise to absolutely nobody, the sorry, sucky, scummy Chargers found a way to throw the game away. This time, losing to the wretched Cowboys 20-17. The Chargers showed us once again tonight what a sad excuse of a football franchise they are on so many levels.

BTW, Dak Prescott had a very nice game tonight. 

Edited by Magog

There's no reason for the Chiefs and Chargers to play next week. It's a win for the reigning champions. 6-1 KC and 2-4 Bolts edged in stone this time on 10/23. Playing that game where one second & one play can be your last is just silly

Chargers going to keep charging, and going to get creamed next week. Herbert seems to get worse every year for some reason- maybe he’s in his head too much? He had a chance to win every game they lost this season and he blew it.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I’m gonna put this out there based on nothing but a hunch. 
Belichick as next Chargers coach.  

I think Bill is more likely to be the next HC of the Giants before ending up there.  JMO &  the Bolts is yours I know, but Los Angeles would be more of a mess on top level than Cleveland, Chicago, Arizona, and the Jets (Detroit until recently for now)

3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The biggest story coming out of last night's game: Is this Chargers fan a paid actor?

I mean, there were definitely some real Chargers fans at the game, but it was making me annoyed when the crowd erupted every time the Cowboys made a play. 

Maybe if the Chargers were to go on a run where they're winning divisions, a Super Bowl or two, they could build up a fan base where they're filling that stadium with their own fans. But between the moving and the long history of being not great, they're not exactly packing in the fans. And even with a talented young QB, they're still a .500 team give or take.

As a fan of the NFL in general, it's kind of depressing to see the few teams where they fail to have a fan base that fills up the stadium. 

• Like 3

What probably doesn't help is the fact that there are more ways & options these days.  For example, I'm enjoying the NFL viewership this year thanks to You Tube television, which includes Red Zone.  In addition to that, the option to watch off of Paramount & Peacock are tremendous.  ESPN Plus is okay.  I save more on food & beverages while being able to focus on all the games, and I can do something else during the games.

Otherwise, I don't get any of that, and as a consolation, I spend more & prices rise annually for not much more if anything.  You don't have to deal with drunken nobodys at the house, that may be a different story live at a game.

Maybe TPTB can do better than that (the blackout stuff was nonsense).  Not really worth it to go to the games anymore.  It's still okay every-so-often (and yes, your team has to be good).  At the end of the day, no one makes someone go to a game live.  That's the saying.

Looks like San Francisco will actually be just fine moving forward.  All the key people that got hurt avoided long term injuries, so that's great.  Hate to see things crashing down at this point after such a great start

Herbert looks the part of star QB, so in addition to the probably accurate assessment that nobody generally thinks the Chargers should be challenging the Chiefs despite having Herbert, the preferred guy to blame for the Chargers let downs is the head coach.

Not that the Head Coach doesn't earn that criticism. But group think is pretty much Herbert Good, Staley Bad. 

Herbert also just got paid as a star QB, so expectations of him WILL be increasing if the Chargers continue to hang around .500 and lose excruciating games they could/should win. 

His contract is pretty interesting! $267M extension for 5 years, with $133.7 fully guaranteed at signing. But it's got a couple of cool things. First because he's still on his rookie deal, the cap hits from 2023-2026 are reasonable numbers of $8, $19, $37, and $46 million. Then it goes to $58, $71, and $59, but if he's still a guy they want to keep around, they can turn that $71 into bonus and extend him into the 2030's.

Second, this deal has some of the Mahomes deal baked into it. While it's only $133.7M of the $267 fully guaranteed (more is guaranteed for injury at signing) there is a lot more guaranteed if he's not cut. Meaning that if he's still on the team a couple days after the 2025 and 2026 league years, he'll add $24M and $36M respectively to his fully guaranteed numbers. 

And it's REALLY ugly ($110M cap hit) if the Chargers were to release him before 2025, so that first $24M is virtually guaranteed at signing. Not quite as bad if they cut him before 2026, but that's pretty much guaranteed as well, so for all intents and purposes, he got $183.7M fully guaranteed at signing.

Which makes him fully eligible to take any and all criticism that any media outlet wants to direct his way. That's the contract of a guy who is supposed to pull games out of the fire for his team on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Too bad Herbert plays in a not very good organization.  Anthony Lynn probably wasn't the answer.  You know what, he wasn't.  However, when you hire Staley, Los Angeles should have just kept Lynn.  At least in 2021.

It might be too late, but maybe for 2024 they'll obtain Ben Johnson, but chances are they'll forgo that decision and turn to Lou Anarumo instead.  And Telesco will stick around for it all.

Nothing against Anarumo, but if that's their idea for their 2024 HC, then just stay with Staley

For coaching hires next year, I have to note that the Washington Commanders have a 3-3 record with an average offense. This is with Sam Howell at QB and exactly one skill player anyone’s ever cared about. (Terry McLaurin)

If I’m an owner, I’m giving Eric Bienemy some serious consideration. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

That owner might be Harris.  That would be so cruel for Ron, but if Washington ends up with 8 or 9 wins but misses the playoffs, it would be the perfect opportunity to promote Eric.  However, if they do what the Chargers didn't do & go offense for the next HC, then there's no hope unless someone else sees what Washington might do in a rather tough division (though within a less than stellar conference)

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Carey said:

but if Washington ends up with 8 or 9 wins

They still have to run the gauntlet that is the NFC East schedule this year. They have Miami, the Jets, Seattle (in Seattle), San Francisco, the Rams in LA, one more Philadelphia and both Dallas games to play. If they win two of those eight games, they're already at 9 losses. They'd have to not falter and sweep the Giants and Patriots games to get to 8 wins.

It's a tall order, but you never know how the seasons will play out. On the one hand, this is a team that got its victories against Arizona, Denver, and Atlanta and lost convincingly to Buffalo and Chicago. On the other hand, they took the Eagles to overtime and really could have won that game.

Despite Lawrence being active for TNF, I've decided to settle with New Orleans for the win.  That's a decent enough money line pick.  24-16 in favor of the Saints sounds reasonable

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Saints offense is horrible. Almost as bad as Denver's. 

That sound you heard was the collective of people from Steeler Nation saying, "Hold my beer."

Still not a great look for New Orleans.  You're at home playing a team off of a short week who played a game without a break one week removed from a 2-week stay abroad

• Like 2
2 hours ago, twoods said:

Yeah I don’t know how they can be that bad with Carr and Kamara. 

Well, they sort of woke up late, but in the end failed in the red zone yet again. 

As a Raider fan, I can tell you that Carr isn't all that. Although credit to him for shouldering the lion's share of the blame for the Saints' offensive woes. Props to Kamara, he's really present every play. 

Carr was on track for MVP that one year and then he got hurt (back? leg? I cannot remember) and it’s been all downhill from there.

After a one week absence, the football player is back on the cover of People.  Phew.  I was worried he was going to fade off into the sunset.

That segment of the 2016 season was so sickening.  I'm not a Raiders fan at all, but Oakland had the AFC West & a first-round bye.  Carr's injury (Derek broke his right fibula) turned the Raiders into what they were from 2003-2015 & again in 2017 and whatever else, and Kansas City's division streak started a year earlier.  Though I don't think Ryan was losing the MVP that year.

To add insult to injury, the Raiders looked like a 1-15 team that got a free pass into the postseason against Houston, who would've lost in any other year to their opponent.  Basically, New England ended up with a double-bye since the Texans QB was not healthy, meaning Brock got the nod.  Anybody else, including Savage, and maybe Houston wins or keeps it close.  Meanwhile, KC went one-and-done at home despite a +2 TD ratio.  To be fair, they did bagel the Texans a year prior.

Anyway, picks time.  For Week 7, I have the following winners:  

Buffalo, New York, Cleveland, Baltimore, Las Vegas, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Seattle, Packers/Broncos game ends in a tie, Kansas City, Philadelphia, San Francisco

Week 7 ATS: I like Rams, Niners, Eagles, & KC to cover.  Despite the small spread, I like Detroit & Indianapolis to cover.  

Over/Under: Under in Browns, Rams, and Niners game; over in Ravens, KC and Philly games

Von Miller said on his podcast that the only reason to not like Tom Brady is a bad one - “because he wins”.

No, Von.  No.  There are *plenty* of reasons to not like ol’ Tommy Boy and it has nothing to do with his compiling of victories.

Just to start, is his whininess on the field when he doesn’t like a call.  And that is just the TIP of the iceberg.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 7