Type keyword(s) to search

Green Arrow In Comics

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

The print book of Arrow Season 2.5 will be released on September 29.  It's available for sale on Amazon and other places.

The paperback of Green Arrow Vol. 7 (the new 52) (collecting #35-40, which brought Felicity into the GA universe to join Oliver and Diggle) will be released on November 17.  It's available for sale on Amazon and other places.

Edited by tv echo

I recently succumbed to temptation and purchased the three Arrow print comic books:  Arrow Volume 1, Arrow Volume 2, and Arrow Season 2.5.  I just finished reading them and I was more surprised than expected by how much they filled in blanks and enhanced my understanding of the show.  I know some parts of the digital comics were posted previously in this thread, but here are my notes from reading the books (remember, this thread already has a spoiler tag)...

Arrow Volumes 1 and 2 (copyrights 2013 and 2014)
These comic stories take place during and run concurrently with Season 1, and Volume 2 ends right before Oliver leaves Starling City to return to Lian Yu (where he then spends the 5-month hiatus on the island before Diggle and Felicity come to get him in the Season 2 premiere - which explains why there is no Arrow Season 1.5 comic book).
-- "Lian Yu" is Mandarin Chinese for "purgatory".
-- Laurel says to Oliver: "I made my peace with your selfishness a long time ago, Oliver."
-- Oliver's tombstone reads: "OLIVER QUEEN  1985 - 2007  A loving son, whose light was dimmed far too soon".
-- Robert's tombstone reads: "ROBERT QUEEN  1958 - 2007  A leader, a father, and a pillar of our great city".
-- Oliver has a file on Diggle's July 23, 2005 mission in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, when Diggle was Sergeant Major John Andrew Diggle, Special Forces Group, Blackhawks.
-- Moira finds the Queen's Gambit wreck 4 years before Oliver's return (so 2008?) and discovers it was sabotaged.
-- When Helena was sleeping with Oliver, she was still obsessed with avenging the murder of her beloved fiance Michael, which had been ordered by her father.

-- Michael's tombstone reads: "MICHAEL STATON  Per la cara memoria  BORN 1981 - DIED 2009".
-- In a flashback scene, Laurel decides to enter the pre-law program at Starling University after she learns that "we have to protect people who can't protect themselves."  This is after Quentin asked her to help her younger sister Sara, who was being bullied, telling her that "in this family, we protect people who can't protect themselves."
-- In a nighttime scene, Oliver and Felicity take a stroll around Starling City because Oliver "thought you might like to see more of the city you're helping... Something tells me you don't get out too much."  Felicity responds, "Since this is a business stroll, I've been meaning to ask, as official 'Vigilante No-Life I.T. Girl', am I getting overtime for this?"
-- Oliver is unable to fly a plane in Season 1 (which contradicts his later ability to fly a plane in Season 2).
-- Felicity works in the I.T. department on the 15th floor of Queen Consolidated.
-- Felicity is asked out on a date by Ted Daniels, supposedly from Applied Sciences, but it turns out he's a corporate espionage spy named Rick Matheson, a/k/a Rob Serling, who's on Oliver's list of names.  When he tries to force Felicity to hack into the QC servers, she is rescued by masked Oliver. She tells Oliver that 'Ted' made her feel important and special, and berates herself for believing him.  Later, she returns home to find flower bouquets filling her living room with a note that says, "We couldn't do what we do without you. You're special. Thank you for helping make Starling City a better place."
-- Lyla makes her first appearance in these comics resembling Sara's Canary.  She has long, blonde, curly hair and wears a cleavage-baring, v-necked top.
-- Two years after the Queen's Gambit sinking and Oliver's "death", Laurel runs into Tommy at a bar and they end up having sex.  They continue to have off and on sex for the next three years, and finally end up a couple sometime after Oliver's return, by Tommy's 28th birthday.
-- About a year and half before Oliver's return, Laurel and Joanna start working at CNRI (City Necessary Resources Initiative).
-- In the 2012 premiere scene at CNRI, Laurel doesn't turn off the TV until after her name is mentioned by the news anchor: "The "Queen's Gambit was last heard from more than five years ago... Mr. Queen has reportedly confirmed he was the only survivor of the accident that took the lives of seven people... including local resident Sara Lance, survived by her sister, Laurel..." (click off)
-- On April 8th, "years ago", Carly called Diggle to tell him about Andy's death.
-- After his wife was murdered, Malcolm left Tommy and found himself in Nanda Parbat.  He met "a man" who helped him make sense of things and helped him find a purpose in life, to make the city better for everyone.  He returns to Starling City when Tommy is still a young boy and starts going out at night as the Dark Archer.
-- Roy Harper was a track star for the Hornets (Starling High?).
-- Tommy's headstone reads: "THOMAS MERLYN  1985 - 2013  Beloved Son".
-- In the S1 finale, when Oliver is racing to save Laurel at CNRI during the earthquake, he passes a woman who is being threatened by three men.  He agonizes over whether to stop and help a stranger or continue on to help the woman he loved.  He makes the choice to stop and help the woman and believes that that choice cost him critical minutes, making him too late to save Tommy.
-- Right before leaving Starling City to return to Lian Yu, Oliver tells Diggle that he's wired a million dollars each into bank accounts for Diggle and Felicity as severance pay.

-- Felicity seems to wear the same outfit throughout these comics: pinkish, long-sleeved, v-necked light sweater over white collared shirt, and skirt.

Arrow Season 2.5 (copyright 2015)
These comic stories take place during the 5-month hiatus between the end of Season 2 and the beginning of Season 3. In the intro, MG says that these comic stories are "canon" and really took place, and that they answer some questions that they didn't have time to answer in Season 3, including: "Why did Malcolm Merlyn target Sara Lance for death?" and "How did Oliver realize that he had romantic feelings for Felicity?"
-- Oliver calls Roy "Speedy" and Roy says, "I'll pay you real money if you stop calling me that while we're in the field."
-- After Roy's shot, Oliver blames himself and Felicity tells Diggle, "Don't try to talk him out of it. Blaming himself is one of Oliver's superpowers."
-- Oliver has been living in the foundry and sleeping on the floor.  After Roy's shot, Felicity tells Oliver to stay at her place that night because she's putting in an all-nighter at Kord Industries (where she now works).
-- Team Arrow's been going to Bludhaven every month to get supplies from a guy named Lodai there.  When Diggle goes to pick up arrows, he orders a kevlar-lined suit for Roy "just like the other one" (the Arsenal suit).
-- Clinton Hogue - the guy that Diggle and Felicity kidnapped and interrogated (in the "bitch with wi-fi" scene) - is the one who takes Sebastian Blood's mask and becomes the new Brother Blood.
-- Moira left behind a sizeable insurance policy, which Oliver's been spending to fund his Arrow crimefighting activities.
-- After Isabel's death, the QC board put the company in receivership and decided the best way to pay off creditors was to sell the company to a new owner.  Walter tells Oliver that he and his partners at Starling National believe they can put together a consortium of investors to back Oliver's purchase of QC.
-- Lyla now has shoulder-length, straight brown hair, and is four months' pregnant with Diggle's daughter.
-- Felicity is fired from Kord Industries after she misses two days of work (when she's kidnapped by Brother Blood), in addition to over a month of missed days and lost time.
-- When Felicity is kidnapped and Brother Blood offers a trade (Arrow for Felicity) and Roy said he'll kill him, Oliver replies, "I know. But I just got her back from Slade... I can't lose her again."  Later, Roy says something about how this is different, or someone, because it's Felicity.  And Oliver responds, "Since the business with Slade... I can't stop thinking about her... Seeing things from a different perspective."  Then Roy says, "That almost sounded like you have feelings."
-- After helping Oliver and Roy rescue Felicity (Diggle is away on a Suicide Squad mission), Helena tells Oliver, "Don't let that one get away." (referring to Felicity)
-- To thank Oliver for rescuing her, Felicity gifts him with a bed to sleep on in the foundry.  He then gives her a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1982, the one that his "friend" had been offering as the "reward" for his "scavenger hunt" (referring back to one of his Season 1 lies).  Felicity wants to open it up right away and drink it with the one who gave it to her, so Oliver shoots the cork off the bottle with an arrow.
-- Quentin is cleared for duty, but not for field duty, and is promoted to Captain.
-- Laurel says, "Who knows? Maybe I'll wear a mask of my own someday."
-- Laurel says, "It's like the hundredth time my apartment's been broken into. I really need to move."
-- Felicity is helping Oliver study up for his presentation to the QC board, so they are meeting at her place just about every day.  She is also job hunting.
-- Crazy villain Caleb Green tells Oliver that he's "a selfish and self-centered child of privilege."  Later, when Oliver's obsessing over those words, Felicity tells him that he's not selfish or self-centered. He's been giving himself over to the city for over two years, he's saved hundreds of lives, including hers, and he's a hero.  She says that maybe he wasn't before, maybe Caleb was right about who he was before the Queen's Gambit went down, but since then, he's become someone else, he's become something else, and that something else is a hero.  If Oliver was the man that Caleb said he was, Diggle and Roy wouldn't follow him, he wouldn't have inspired a team or her, and they wouldn't all fight every single day to make the city a better place.
-- In a scene between Malcolm and Sara, Malcolm says that he just wants one problem solved: removing the deathmark Ra's has placed on his head.  Sara tells him that she's going to bring him back to Nanda Parbat and force him down on his knees in front of Ra's. Malcolm says to Sara, "Thank you for giving me some much-needed clarity on my course of action."
-- Diggle tells Oliver that he needs some balance.  He also tells Oliver that he may think he wants QC back, but "deep down, you know you've moved on from it."

ETA: This is not a comprehensive summary of everything that happens in the comics.  It's just a rundown of stuff that I found interesting or informative.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

I recently succumbed to temptation and purchased the three Arrow print comic books:  Arrow Volume 1, Arrow Volume 2, and Arrow Season 2.5.  I just finished reading them and I was more surprised than expected by how much they filled in blanks and enhanced my understanding of the show.  I know some parts of the digital comics were posted previously in this thread, but here are my notes from reading the books (remember, this thread already has a spoiler tag)...

Thanks for the summary of the comics!! I tried to make it through the S1 comics and failed miserably. I haven't even tried the s2 beyond just the clips that get spoiled her or on tumblr/twitter. So it definitely helps when people summarize what happens in them, since they are required reading for the show - which is just frustrating. If critical things are going to be addressed in the comics, than they should at least make the previously on portion of the show. But that's just me.

Thanks also for all effort you put your notes & detailed info from spoilers & articles as well. :)

• Love 2

@TvEcho, could you answer a question for me? What exactly does the comic say about self defense classes that Laurel took back around when Quentin wanted her equipped to look after Sara? Also, was she in high school or college? It comes up more than you'd think. Thanks!

• Love 1

TV Echo can probably provide a better answer since she just read them. However, IIRC both Sara and Laurel ended up getting the same trainning and, at the end of the flashback they both end up beating up the girls who were bullying Sara. They were also pretty young like early teens (13 and 15) or so.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I think they were in high school because Sara was trying to get some other girls boyfriend that's why they were beating her up. Quentin then taught them some self defense training in their garage. At the end when the girls attacked Sara again Laurel and her beat them up.

So at that point Sara and Laurel had the same amount of minor self defense training to beat up untrained high school girls.

@TvEcho, could you answer a question for me? What exactly does the comic say about self defense classes that Laurel took back around when Quentin wanted her equipped to look after Sara? Also, was she in high school or college? It comes up more than you'd think. Thanks!

I believe Laurel and Sara are both in high school, and there is a single self-defense lesson given to them by their father, Quentin.  Here's the story of Laurel & Sara from Arrow Volume 1 (in Chapter 14: "Call to the Bar")...

It looks like Sara and Laurel are both in high school because they're wearing the same school uniform and have noticeable bustlines. Also, Laurel is studying college catalogs for liberal arts and business schools, so I'd guess she's in her last two years of high school. She tells Quentin that she still has no idea what she wants to do with her life.  I believe Sara is two years younger than Laurel.

Other female classmates (wearing same school uniform) are chasing after Sara.  One girl, Gwen, accuses Sara of trying to steal her boyfriend and knocks Sara down. Sara says that he's just her lab partner. Gwen warns her to "stay away from other people's boyfriends." Later Quentin sees Sara's bruises and asks her what happened, and Sara says she fell. Quentin asks Laurel to keep an eye on her sister, and Laurel replies that she doesn't think that's her calling. Quentin says that Sara's grades are dropping and she's acting differently, and he wants Laurel to find out what's going on. Laurel says, "Sure, Dad. Whatever." Laurel tries to walk Sara home, but Sara refuses her help. Quentin tells Laurel that she has a younger sister and, "whether she likes it or not, in this family, we protect people who can't protect themselves." Laurel replies, "So... she gets jumped, and BOTH of your daughters get their asses kicked?" Quentin says, "The way you argue, you really should be a lawyer, Laurel." Sara says, "I'm fine! Just let it go!" So Laurel says, "See? She doesn't even want my help! Just let her fight her own battles!"

Then Quentin orders both Laurel and Sara out to the garage, where there's some workout equipment. Both sisters say they don't need this. Quentin says, "Drop it. I should have taught you two how to defend yourselves a long time ago." He tells Laurel to attack him and then demonstrates some basic moves. Quentin: "If someone is trying to choke you, grab their wrist with one hand, lean forward, and elbow their neck." Sara: "No one is trying to choke me, Dad." Laurel: "I might..." Quentin: "These are basic moves... Once you learn them, you will be able to defend yourself... against any attacker."

Later, Laurel and Sara are walking when they are accosted by Gwen and other girls. Gwen tells Laurel to keep walking, they want to talk to Sara, but Laurel refuses.  There's a fight, and Laurel and Sara beat the other girls, who run off. Sara: "If I thank you, are you going to bring this up all the time?" Laurel: "Probably gonna do that anyway."

Laurel tells Quentin that she now understands why he wanted her to help Sara:

Laurel: "There are some people who can't stay out of trouble."

Cut to shot of Sara making out with her lab partner.

Laurel: "And just because I'm not one of them, doesn't mean I shouldn't help them."

Cut to shot of Laurel giving food to a homeless person.

Laurel: "It's like you said. We have to protect people who can't protect themselves. So maybe THAT's what I should do."

Cut to shot of catalog for Starling University Pre-Law Program.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Wait, so they in high school both just got pointers from dad and then took out high school girls? Lol, the exaggerated stuff I've heard about that scene. (Aka 15 years of training being my current fav)

Thanks for providing clarity. :D

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Laurel fans have exaggerated her self defense training. In the comics she beat up untrained high school girls and on the show she beat up a spoiled untrained club owner. That's the extent of her training when she decided to steal her sisters identity and fight crime.

• Love 1

I had to laugh. I love the "just because I'm not one of them." People need help, thank goodness Laurel is there. No talk about seeing if she can be there for a younger sister who may not be making the best decisions. Sounds like they always had such a strong relationship.

They were really stressing the whole Bad Girl: Sara and Good Girl: Laurel in that comic. Makes S2 even more interesting.

• Love 4

Yea see, that comic scene about Laurel and Sara only makes me dislike Laurel even more. I was a pretty troubled child/teen (not like sara but in other ways) and my sister who is 7.5 years older than me was almost always there for me, and even when she wasn't or we were fighting for whatever reason, I always knew deep down that she'll be there for me and I could go to her for advice (ie she's the first person I went to when I got my period, I still remember her shriek of joy. :-), even today she's probably the first person i'll talk to about stuff before I'll even consider telling that to our mom).

Point is: they showed us no reason why Laurel and Sara don't get along, two years is too short of an age gap to not somewhat get along. And I do firmly believe it is a sibling job to protect their other siblings, no matter where on the birth line they are.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

Laurel fans have exaggerated her self defense training. In the comics she beat up untrained high school girls and on the show she beat up a spoiled untrained club owner. That's the extent of her training when she decided to steal her sisters identity and fight crime.

Considering her moves taking down that spoiled club owner weren't just average moves and had decent technique, she should've been good enough for your common street criminal  among other minor times they had to show her do quick thinking. They've been inconstant with what she knows/doesn't know.

And I am guessing we aren't getting a 3.5 comic which is disappointing to say the least.

Edited by Primal Slayer

Not having the comic at least forces them to put all the stuff they want in the show actually in the show.

Or one of the other shows. Lol.

I had wanted tales of Felicity and Olivers travels but really, fan fiction delivered in a most excellent manner on that front.

• Love 2

I find the .5 comics a little redudant at times. A lot of the main plots are very simplistic or repetitive. How many kidnappings were there? If you have great stories put them in the show. If you have a few great ideas that only work for print, maybe make a special edition to release with the DVDs or in the middle of the hiatus(es). But to have them releasing stories that happened in the middle of the summer, when we are already moved on and the story is now in the following winter or spring is just odd.

• Love 1

I can understand why there might be no Season 3.5 comics.  Having a comic series about a superhero during a period of time when the hero never once puts on a mask & costume might have been considered too risky to sell.

Like others here, my biggest problem with the Arrow-related comics is that they included answers that should've been shown on the TV show. As it is, TV viewers were left with gaps and questions.  For example, why Malcolm decided to kill Sara.  Also, how Oliver realized he had romantic feelings for Felicity.  So instead we have the WTF murder of Sara and we have some viewers thinking that Oliver asking Felicity out on a date came out of the blue.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I can understand why there might be no Season 3.5 comics.  Having a comic series about a superhero during a period of time when the hero never once puts on a mask & costume might have been considered too risky to sell.

It's been talked about before how TPTB (in general) find it hard to market products to females, not the show itself but merchandise. Ok, so months of non vigilante life are happening. I did get what I wanted from fan fiction but do they understand how easily I would have plunked down my money on an official account of Olicity travels? The conversations that were so needed? The nightmares that still needed to be dealt with, the dreams that lead them to settle into suburban bliss? Not to mention sexy times here there and everywhere.

So there's not enough material for an action comic. Fine. Skip the pictures. Write me a romance novel. Even toss in how Thea and Diggle and even Laurel are coping. A few of the creaky early team moments and of course what prompts Diggle to step up and back in. There was enough material hand waved over the summer for a whole season. Maybe not a typical Arrow season, but why does it have to exactly mimic the show? Think outside the box. Castle produced a string of Best sellers not even actually about the characters in the show. Can you imagine the results if the show runners had thought ahead and had a summer romance novel waiting to be released say in June? Free money and a ton of publicity.

• Love 4

Not having the comic at least forces them to put all the stuff they want in the show actually in the show.

Or one of the other shows. Lol.

I had wanted tales of Felicity and Olivers travels but really, fan fiction delivered in a most excellent manner on that front.

That is true. They seemed to do a lot of things in the comics that should've been answered in the actual show. I don't get why they feel that fans have to read the comics, watch both shows to get the full complete story.

• Love 1

The biggest objective complaint that I can make regarding any comic, novels or any creative media to extend the story of Arrow is the timing of the release. If they released 2.5 during the actual 2.5 season, then that would be a completely different story. I'm sure people would be so anxious to get new material during the hiatus that people would be more intent to buy stuff. Heck, I might have even considered purchasing something. But I'm not going to purchase a 2.5 season in the middle of season 3. It's like taking time in the middle of a multi-course dinner to eat your leftovers from a few nights back. It's just bizarre timing, no matter how tasty or not the leftovers may be.

I actually think the travels of Olicity, would have been a good in-between comic to release a few strips every so many weeks. Likewise, I think they could have also had action strips by following the new TA in SC. There is a lot that could be chronicled from a romantic, adventure and relationship building perspective from May to October. But I want to read about it now, not after the fact. Just like I wanted to know what happened to the Queen mansion, not months later after I already imagined multiple ways to get it back.

However, its in tune with a lot of ARROW. They have pretty decent ideas, but poor execution. The .5 series is a good idea, but the timing is all wrong.

• Love 4

I'm opposed to any add-ons.  I hate when shows expect people to buy comics, or watch webisodes in order to get the "full" story.  Given the sheer amount of filler episodes in a 23 episode season there's no need for webisodes and supporting comics.  

The Season 2.5 comics were interesting and would have worked if they released them weekly from May-October and just told the story between 223 and 301.  The problem is the damn comics lasted from the summer through S3.  That was just dumb (IMO).

However, I am fine with Books/Novels that tell new/independent stories in the Arrow (or any show really) Universe.  

• Love 8

If anyone is able to kind of outline over in the Comics thread what Year One covers in the Green Arrow comic book universe, I'd be interested to read it.

Year One is basically The Origin story that Arrow is loosely based off of.

In the comics Oliver is a 40 year old thrill seeking, over drinking, womanizing billionaire. His friend/employee (forget the name) arranges these adrenaline filled vacations for him, he's also trying to get Oliver to invest in some business venture. One of these exciting adventure trips ends with the friend betraying Oliver and Oliver's yacht going down. Oliver washes up an Island that China White has taken control of. China White is running a drug cartel and has enslaved the people of the island in her poppy fields. In the comic, Oliver discovers that there's more to life than being a partying billionaire and finds that saving others fills the hole in his soul/life better than thrill seeking.

In the comic, Oliver discovers he has a natural talent for archery and goes about trying to rescue the people of the Island and stop China White. In the end Oliver succeeds but decides not to take credit for stopping China White. He ends up going back to Starling City and keeping up with his rescue work and takes on the name Green Arrow which is what the islanders he rescued dubbed him.

That's pretty much how I remember the book.

• Love 4

Sorry...erm who is Elaine?

Did I misunderstand your previous question about the poppies?

It was a Seinfeld episode. Elaine kept failing her drug tests at work because she constantly ate Poppy Seed bagels for breakfast.

Sorry, bad joke

Edited by Morrigan2575

Oliver washes up an Island that China White has taken control of. China White is running a drug cartel and has enslaved the people of the island in her poppy fields. In the comic, Oliver discovers that there's more to life than being a partying billionaire and finds that saving others fills the hole in his soul/life better than thrill seeking.

Lian Yu seems like a terrible place to farm what with the constant overcast skies, no people to enslave and land mines and booby traps littered EVERYWHERE on the island.  Seems like there had to better places.

Though now I'm hoping that these little blue flowers will somehow tie into Yao Fei's magic herbs.  If the plant growing on this island could be infused with special properties it would make sense taking the risk importing slaves and plowing mine riddled land. 

• Love 7

I'm assuming those flowers weren't opium.  I don't think it was a big enough field, plus they were blue, plus opium grows really well in Afghanistan so why bother with Lian Yu.  I'm assuming they're related to magic, since it seems that's all the rage this season.

If it turns out they're farming Yao Fei's herbs they are frigging GENIUSES and they deserve the billions that will be coming their way.

• Love 7

Poppies fields are also legal, we have them in Tasmania for morphine & codeine.

The Elaine Poppy test failure is a legitimate scenario, I think the Mythbuster proved that you can fail drug test by eating poppy seeds.

Topic: I also assumed it was the magical island herbs that they were cultivating and that Oliver used a cure-all, if so a good enough nod to Year One I guess. I'm not really invested.

• Love 3

Though now I'm hoping that these little blue flowers will somehow tie into Yao Fei's magic herbs. 

When I saw the field and blue flowers, I expected to see Edward and Bella sprawled in the middle of them having a boring debate about Bella's virtue and her soul. I'm much more interested in a field supplying Yao Fei's magical herbs.

• Love 2

One of the creative teams for GA said it in an interview. Ill try to find it.

Here is 1 interview from 2012 and I think there are some other recent ones, but the newer creative team did put a BC poster easter egg in one of the recent issues of GA.

http://www.newsarama.com/10513-jeff-lemire-building-new-mythos-for-green-arrow.html

Thanks. I had read that Lemire interview way back, and sorry, but the point he makes re: the romance is he wouldn't explore it. Also, Lemire is 2 creatives teams on GA ago. I quit reading GA when Kreisberg took over, because he's the worst. So I haven't read anything the more recent creative teams have said. But I was under the impression that they're keeping the BC book more young adult, and the GA book more older dudebro, and those things don't tend to mesh well.

Also, the pinup poster thing was an entire line cross-promotion, I honestly can't read too much into pinup!Dinah being on the GA cover. And that move got them some backlash re: why wasn't the cover on the BC book instead.

Edited by dtissagirl

Of course with the creative teams coming and going anything could happen. Right now the two would be weird to be together but just look at the direction they took Black Canary in during Birds of Prey/Team 7 compared to her new solo which is drastically different. 

The current 52 version is modeled after The younger Dinah but she's not her. She's a hybrid as well as being original. All these Characters have similar names but their histories and experiences are changed. Basically they are also an adaption.

The New52 versions. But of course with creative teams constantly changing, plans change all the time.

New52 Black Canary is 90% Dinah Laurel Lance. And it is different when the characters have spent majority of their runs together as opposed to 5 years. That's how relationships and certain aspects of characters become iconic, it isn't a one and done deal that people just happen to latch onto for for years upon years.

Of course with the creative teams coming and going anything could happen. Right now the two would be weird to be together but just look at the direction they took Black Canary in during Birds of Prey/Team 7 compared to her new solo which is drastically different. 

But you said there's been talk of having them meet by the creatives, and this Lemire interview doesn't have anything like that. I was interested to know if you had anything from the new creatives that alluded to that? I looked when you first mentioned it a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find anything.

But you said there's been talk of having them meet by the creatives, and this Lemire interview doesn't have anything like that. I was interested to know if you had anything from the new creatives that alluded to that? I looked when you first mentioned it a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find anything.

I may have gotten the Lemire interview timeline mixed up as being more recent but if I find anything from the newer creative teams I will make sure to post it. As far as the two meeting in the Lemire interview, The Lemire interview does have that though:

Nrama: You made it clear that you want to build Green Arrow separately from those relationships for which he was so well known in the past, like Green Lantern and Black Canary and such. But since you're getting into a long-term plan, do you think we'll see him encounter any of those characters during your run?

Lemire: Yeah, I think eventually. Like I said, I need to redefine who he is first before we start playing him off other characters again. Like you said, we need a strong foundation of who this guy is. I don't want him to become "that guy who dates Black Canary."

So once we lay down that foundation, there should be the chance to do some cool stories with some of those other characters. Geoff and I have already talked about doing a new version of the Green Arrow/Green Lantern team-up with the new Green Lantern Baz.

But I'm going to stay away from Black Canary for awhile, because I feel like once you get them together, that's it. They're together. So it will close doors instead of opening them, storywise. Somewhere down the road, they could always end up together, but for now, it might be interesting to see Oliver involved with other women.

Edited by Primal Slayer

I may have gotten the Lemire interview timeline mixed up as being more recent but if I find anything from the newer creative teams I will make sure to post it. As far as the two meeting in the Lemire interview, The Lemire interview does have that though:

As I said -- I read that interview way back, because I actually followed Lemire's run of the book, and was super sad that he was pushed out of the book by Kreisberg being the very worst ever.

Imo, "somewhere down the road, they could always end up together" = "never say never", and nothing more to me.