Type keyword(s) to search

Rhodes Scholar Reporting the News Show Discussion

• Start Topic

That was a really interesting discussion Rachel did last night about fascism.  Heh, though I admit, when she started out taking about racing, I had no clue where she was going until she mentioned Oswald Mosley.  I've read enough British books that I know who he is because I don't think he is that well known here in the States.  P. G. Wodehouse's Jeeves series even has a character based on him.

• Love 4

I've lately gotten in the habit of watching Rachel and Chris with my finger hovered over the mute button. I'm interested in their analyses, but I can't listen to Trump's actual voice anymore. And they play so many, many clips of him talking. I get why, but it's all too much for me.

• Love 9

I didn't know about Moseley specifically, but I did know about the pro-Hitler/Fascism movement in the UK during the 1930s (Edward VIII was an admirer of Hitler's, and the 1993 film of Richard III with Ian McKellen in the title role takes its setting from the concept of what if Edward had remained king and decided to go the fascistic route?). We also had the German-American Bund here in the States that was the American group for Hitler admirers, and the America First movement for keeping the U.S. out of the war (that had a very quick end when the head AF Congressman was giving a speech to a big crowd on December 7, 1941 just as word of Pearl Harbor hit the East Coast--he first waved off the note passed to him about the attack, and only at the end of his speech did he mention it. The organization quickly disbanded thereafter.)

If you did not see Rachel's opening segment on the water supply in Flint (Friday show), try to see it.  It is outrageous, what is happening in that poor, beleaguered city.  And with the city "managers" the governor has appointed around the state.  We knew that having political appointees taking over for elected bodies would be bad, but as she said about the expected bad outcomes:  "we did not think we would have to learn this from the blood tests of kids."

• Love 4

I just watched this today (I record the show) and it was a really well done piece of journalism. I liked that she got right to the point, rather than taking the long way around as she often does. I loved the interview with the doctor, who is indeed a hero. As for the governor and his shills, fuck those guys.

• Love 3

It was a great piece of journalism.  And also liked she got to the point, instead of giving us a long trek through the woods to actually find the point she was making.

I am amazed this hasn't gotten more traction.  We have phony scandals like the IRS stuff and the "Benghazi!" crapola getting all sorts of attention -- and this is the first time I have heard about the Flint situation.  People are actually getting sick from this and I'm not hearing anything about it nationally.

Maybe it's getting a lot of play in Michigan, but certainly not getting the national attention it merits.  Thanks, Rachel!   Without your report that night, I most likely still wouldn't have heard about what's been going on in Flint (and who knows where else too).

• Love 3

Why aren't the NY Times and other major media outlets doing in-depth stories on this and the breach of democracy behind it?

The NYT has been covering it.  I think it was the declaration of a state of emergency that spurred Maddow to cover it.

It's really sad and pathetic, I don't understand how Michigan re-elected Snyder (but then again, it confounds me that Kansas re-elected Brownback).  "What's the Matter with Kansas?"

• Love 3

And Rachel had been warning about these emergency managers in Michigan for years now. 

She is really not phoning it in this week - her shows have been really great.  

Absolutely agree -- and I had been expecting a guest host or pre-taped shows this week, so this is a triple surprise:  Rachel in the seat, covering breaking news, and covering a new angle on a long-term story.  She was the only one reporting on the first emergency manager who was selling public land to a private developer in one of the poorest towns in Western Michigan, years ago.  Pro-level golf course now sits on the former lakefront public land in Benton Harbor, which has just been released from financial emergency, now that the deals are done. (cynical?  yes!) 

Yeah, I actually did that search before posting in case I had missed something, but I found the coverage rather scant. I guess I should have asked why they aren't covering it well.

I also had not seen many of those articles about the water in Flint, and I pay attention to Michigan news -- so Rachel's report was shocking to me.

• Love 3

Okay, The Rachel Maddow Show:  I know you can't have Henry the Office Dog on every show, but please get on board the idea that one segment a week should be Rachel reporting on a political story while the camera is on Henry's cocked head, listening attentively.  Today's show is going into my podcast archive, and I'm not completely sure what the first segment was even about.  <christmaseveeve,polls,thedonald,schlonged,HENRY LISTENING,ejdion,democrats,HENRY>

And at the end of the show:  "We will see you -------- very soon" -- so, now the break begins, and the past three days have been an unexpected bonus as far as I am concerned!  I hope Rachel has a restful break, because it will be a busy, noisy, 2016. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 4

Okay, The Rachel Maddow Show:  I know you can't have Henry the Office Dog on every show, but please get on board the idea that one segment a week should be Rachel reporting on a political story while the camera is on Henry's cocked head, listening attentively.

Given what is in store for us this election cycle, I'd be on board for that!

Wow, the cutest show ever, and instead of a repeat, we get Lock!Up!  #happyChristmasEveEve

ETA:  And thank you again, Rachel, for the several segments on Flint this past week.  This is where Michigan is putting its focus on Christmas Eve.  Have a *better* New Year, Flint!  The twitterverse is calling for someone to go to prison for this:  http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2015/12/23/states-handling-flint-water-samples-delayed-action/77367872/

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

Doggie!!!! Who already has a Twitter account.

And to save everyone else the trouble of looking it up:  https://twitter.com/Henry_OfficeDog/with_replies   Very active account!  And I see in Rachel's account that she is onto the weird story in the Las Vegas Review Journal.   It broke a week before Christmas, and I expected her to cover it last Friday, but that was the day of the first big Flint water story, which was a much more necessary story.  Maybe something on this Las Vegas Review Journal murkiness next week.  It has freedom/independence of the press issues and big money/influence issues, so the kind of story I'd expect to see her cover: http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/mystery-surrounds-writers-name

Oh, and have a very happy holiday! 

• Love 1

No comments on Rachel's unbe-effin-lievable, awesome comparison of Donald Trump's campaign to George Wallace's campaign in 1968.  It was amazing!  Watch here:  http://www.salon.com/2016/01/06/maddow_demolishes_donald_trump_with_horrifying_side_by_side_comparison_to_segregationist_george_wallace/

Also, her continuing coverage of the Flint drinking water controversy.  I think that without her covering this story, it would have taken much, much longer for the rest of the media to catch on.  JMO

No comment on Rachel's story on her most unbe-effin-lievable, awesome comparison of D.T.'s (can't even stand to type his name) campaign to George Wallace's campaign of 1968.  It was amazing.  Watch it here:  

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/06/maddow_demolishes_donald_trump_with_horrifying_side_by_side_comparison_to_segregationist_george_wallace/                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Also, I think her coverage of the Flint drinking water controversy woke up the rest of the media and helped bring the issue to the forefront. 

• Love 2

No comments on Rachel's unbe-effin-lievable, awesome comparison of Donald Trump's campaign to George Wallace's campaign in 1968.  It was amazing! 

Also, her continuing coverage of the Flint drinking water controversy.  I think that without her covering this story, it would have taken much, much longer for the rest of the media to catch on.  JMO 

Completely agree with you on both points!  (I'm trying not to post two in a row, even across a few days.)  That comparison was jaw-dropping, such a great summary of demagoguery.  (I love that previously.tv spellcheck corrected that to the right spelling.)  And even though the NY Times had reported on the Flint water story, Rachel raised it to a national level in a new way.  It is mind-boggling, and I would expect something between fines and prosecution from the Department of Justice, now that they are involved.  I'd have some real concerns, finally, if I were the Governor.  What is happening there is shameful, and actionable. 

On the last show of the year, the final five minutes were floating head (images) credits to ALL the staff and crew that keep the show going.  It is not online anymore, but the first of the floating heads was "Rachel Maddow, our raison d'etre"  -- and the *picture* floating with her name was Henry the Office Dog!  Loved it! 

• Love 1

I've decided that I think that if the Governor goes to jail for this (and he should), he should get prison time for each person that he poisoned  Because, he is responsible.  He had to have known and if he didn't, he is the one that took away the democracy in Flint and put in his own people that caused this.  Back in 2013, Flint had a population of 99,763 - so, hopefully he'll get at least 99,000 years.  I know I'm dreaming but that would be the best thing ever!

Though, Rep Lewis getting the ships named after him is also close in the best thing ever.

• Love 6

And, did I mishear, or are they going to name all of the ships in that class after civil rights leaders?

I remember hearing that also. 

I really think that John Lewis is one of the greatest things to ever happen to this country.   I did get to meet him once when he did a signing for book one of his graphic novel. And, once I delivered a letter to his Congressional office and the person at the front desk let me go into his office which is basically a museum to the civil rights movement.  I could see Menorah in the room so I asked if I could go look at it. I'm guessing I'm not the first person to ask to see the office.

The world of politics is interesting - at one end Gov Synder and at the other John Lewis.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 5

And, did I mishear, or are they going to name all of the ships in that class after civil rights leaders?

Correct:

"Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus...also announced that, not only would one ship be named Rep. John Lewis, but the entire class of ships would be named the John Lewis class, and each of the ships within that class would be named in honor of one of the nation's civil rights heroes."

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2016/01/06/navy-ship-named-after-rep-john-lewis/78373278/

• Love 1

All I have to say is, this woman, her staff and the work they do on this show is a breath of fresh air.

I think Chris Hayes is good too.

But I'd follow Maddow anywhere because quite frankly, I don't think MSNBC is worthy of her anymore.

She works hard to truly uncover the real story like HBO's VICE and Gumble's Real Sports.

She doesn't belong on a network that's pushing the bullshit of a Morning Joe.

• Love 5

All I have to say is, this woman, her staff and the work they do on this show is a breath of fresh air.

I think Chris Hayes is good too.

But I'd follow Maddow anywhere because quite frankly, I don't think MSNBC is worthy of her anymore.

She works hard to truly uncover the real story like HBO's VICE and Gumble's Real Sports.

She doesn't belong on a network that's pushing the bullshit of a Morning Joe.

Last Word is still sort of okay to me but like everything else on this network its become so politics and Trump -obsessed lately that its getting harder to watch. But, yeah, Maddow is head and shoulders above everybody else at this point.

• Love 2

Last Word is still sort of okay to me but like everything else on this network its become so politics and Trump -obsessed lately that its getting harder to watch. But, yeah, Maddow is head and shoulders above everybody else at this point.

Yeah, I forgot about Lawrence. At least when he covers Dump he doesn't sound like a fangirl. At least I can tell that Lawrence wishes he could call Dump a fucking fool on live television.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Chuck Todd is another idiot, what difference does it make Todd if the Governor actually sat down and had a meeting in which he gave a directive to literally poison all the people/innocent children in Flint.

Really?

The man has no conscience and clearly does not see the people of Flint as even being human.  If he could see the face of his own kids in the faces of the kids in Flint then he would not have allowed this to happen, period.

Asshole, I hate to have to agree with that fool Dump, when he called Todd a snooze fest. 

I agree that the coverage of the Flint story has been outstanding. But that makes a story like tonight's first segment about Trump in Vermont even more annoying. It was just pointless. She could have told us about people not being allowed in without pledging fealty and then moved on to real news.

And I hate "watch this space." She's been saying it too often lately. But I still love her!

• Love 2

Brava to her for blatant outrage that bottled water is still not being trucked in and given away at this point, it's criminal (the whole thing is of course, but this last slap is beyond, beyond).

I think Hayes, Maddow, Frontline and Vice are the only operations doing true investigative journalism on major cable/network television anymore.  Maybe Lisa Ling, but she covers obscure topics.  I don't watch Gumble so I'm not familiar.

What annoys me about the show is the way she says that there's so much ahead and I look at my clock and she has five minutes left of the show, it's minor so I ignore it, but it's silly.

• Love 2

But that makes a story like tonight's first segment about Trump in Vermont even more annoying. It was just pointless.

Yeah, the interviews with the people waiting outside went on way too long.

I think the people of Flint should just bypass the Governor's office and apply for help directly from the Red Cross and the National Guard.  And, honestly, I would apply for help from Doctors without Borders.  You have to have access to useable water.

• Love 1

And I hate "watch this space." She's been saying it too often lately. But I still love her!

This is really getting annoying to me.  I wish someone would call her on it. And yes, I still love her, too. 

What annoys me about the show is the way she says that there's so much ahead and I look at my clock and she has five minutes left of the show, it's minor so I ignore it, but it's silly.

And this is my 2nd pet peeve.  No there isn't a lot more to come.  You don't have time for a lot more to come.

Does anyone know if there is a forum for Lawrence (The Last Word)?  I couldn't find it if there is.

Edited by SierraMist

Brava to her for blatant outrage that bottled water is still not being trucked in and given away at this point, it's criminal (the whole thing is of course, but this last slap is beyond, beyond).

It feels like Hurricane Katrina all over again IMO. The lack of response to the urgency of the matter is the same, and once again it looks like it's a whole lot of poor brown/black folk. 

Their fucking red tape, just get it done. 

Here, here to the Sheriff who took matters into his own hands handing out filters, he needs to be governor. 

To me, the local/state government of MI, just like the local/state government of LA, are/were at fault.  Except in this case, the government is criminally at fault.

Although looking back Ray Nagin ended up being a damn criminal, taking showers on Air Force One with his money laundering ass while his people suffered. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

So, it can't be that Snyder is just stupid or disorganized, right? He has to be delaying calling in the Feds as some part of a CYA deal, right? Which makes the "Hi, it's us, the uninvited FEMA staffers!" move pleases me. Although I'd recommend they bring in their own water and check under their cars while in town...  

• Love 3

I love me some Michael Moore, and his poignant letter and petition (which I signed) on the Flint water subject, but wouldn't it be a lot more useful at this point to be rounding up a drive to send money to get bottled water into the city?  I fell asleep and missed Rachel last night, so I don't know if this was addressed.

ETA: Clearly it was, how unfortunate that United Way is suggested, I don't know if I'll ever trust them again.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 2

ETA: Clearly it was, how unfortunate that United Way is suggested, I don't know if I'll ever trust them again.

ETA2: bumping this up because the image on this link is so astonishing, an official printed poster from the State of Michigan encouraging parents to bathe BABIES in the leaded water ("It will not soak into skin fast"): http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/01/09/controversial-flint-water-bath-time-poster-removed-from-government-website-photo/These officials are out of their minds.  (Rachel-related because the link in the article to national news goes to TRMS)

I was surprised that United Way seemed to be the main recommended donation point on MaddowBlog, but their site is set up for targeted donations for Flint water, and say "The United Way of Genesee County has set up this fund for the purchase of filters, bottled water, and prevention efforts.  100% of the fund is used for these projects and no Administrative Fee is assessed." 

My main concern with United Way is the large percentage that is held back for administrative fees from most donations, so I have to hope this statement is true.  They have to know that great investigative journalism is covering this, so I think that would be a deterrent to interfering with the donations. 

ETA:  Thanks for the link to the Michael Moore petition, Nextiteration!  He certainly gives Rachel the credit for making this national news. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

It will not soak into skin fast?? So just dunk the baby quickly and everything will be fine. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

From the shallow end of the pool, Rachel's mascara or fake eyelashes were way over the top tonight. Distractingly so.

I just couldn't deal with listening to Chris Matthews more than five seconds so I had to miss the pre and post shows on the speech. 

Though, the highlight had to have been when he said that this would be the last time the Congressional Black Caucus would ever see an African American President give the SOTU.  Since they will all be dead by the time that happens again....if it ever does.  Rachel tried to save it by saying she is sure that the President Obama is just the 1st African American President that we will have.

If the meteor hit the Hill yesterday, we'd still have a black president: Jeh Johnson was the designated survivor! I'm sure potus wasn't trolling by making that choice, but it still makes me smile.

• Love 2

I actually really liked the SOTU coverage even with Matthews there. He had his moments but there were also a few times Rachel cut him off in the middle and he stopped, as if he knew that was a signal he should wrap it. There were some good discussions thanks to Rachel.

I don't understand that - yes, Johnson was the Cabinet secretary designated to miss the SOTU and be the "survivor", but with Hatch also being away from the Capital, he would have become President given the line of succession.  Even the LA Times article pointed out that in 2010, although there was another designated "survivor", Hillary Clinton, as Secretary of State and traveling at the time, would have become President as SoS outranked the other cabinet position.

• Love 1