Type keyword(s) to search

Rhodes Scholar Reporting the News Show Discussion

• Start Topic

Rachel as always, did a great job covering, her presence I think calmed Matthews down.

If Dump doesn't point out at least once tonight that Cruz might not be "legitimately" eligible to run/be President, then the night will be an utter waste, just wasted, LOL.

I'm even more pissed at Cruz making me feel a connection to Dump because he talked shit about New Yorkers and Dump had to defend. Don't talk shit about my former fellow New Yorkers. I was born and raised in that city, that's where my loyalties will always remain no matter where I reside.

New York values?   WTF?

How are you running for President of these United States and then insult the citizens of one of those states? Doesn't sound like he wants to represent the great citizens of New York.

Quite frankly, I don't buy he wants to be President of these United States, I actually think he'd like to break up the union which isn't all that much of a stretch since the interloper just gave up his Canadian citizenship what? Fourteen months ago? A candidate for president should have his/ her heart and soul fully in this country, and one example of that is to have been a citizen of this country alone as far as I'm concerned.   I mean this interloper has been living in this country for decades yet he just recently gave up his citizenship to his birth country? And has the nerve to talk shit about the natives of New York City? Get the fuck out of here.

Deport Nikki Haley? No, deport Cruz, oh I can't stand him.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Gah, I'm watching the show and she's about to give the update! I randomly wandered in here to find this enticing linky link, but I don't want to scoop Rachel in her own thread. Okay, she's back now.

ETA: My forbearance is rewarded with yummy Ari Melber! I really hope that whatever SCOTUS is doing with this case doesn't make it easier for people like McDonnell to get away with such chicanery. It felt strange to watch Rachel toot her own horn about stories that they've followed before the national press, but I noted that she still made a point of crediting local reporters for their work. So there's that.

Edited by netlyon2
  • Love 1

It will not soak into skin fast?? So just dunk the baby quickly and everything will be fine. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Every time I hear about this story I think about the scene in Erin Brockovich where she and her boss are meeting with the PG&E lawyers and one reaches for a glass of water and Erin says "Oh, by the way, we got that water in special for you. It's from (town where PG&E poisoned the water)."

• Love 6

I really appreciate the work Rachel has put into the reporting on the Flint story. I am an elementary school teacher in an urban school and have several students with super high lead levels (around 15). The difficulties they have with learning and regulating emotions is astounding. Thinking of the children in Flint and the problems they are in store for just makes me so angry. I hope someone goes to jail for this. It won't fix what has already been done, but there need to be some sort of consequences.

• Love 10

Christ on a cracker, one of prisoners released from Iran, I believe he's a marine, is from Flint, MI.

So now, lord only knows what condition his health is in as he returns home to the poisoned water of Flint.

This brave American soldier can't even return home to clean running water.

WTF?

They are increasing the National Guard presence (see link), but I agree this is shameful, to start with seven guardsmen.  The fact that any help is making its way there is really due in large part to Rachel's focus on this -- it had been in the national news, but she really put the spotlight on the situation.  I've been to Flint (before this crisis), and it was already a town in a desperate decline, not of its own making.  (See "Roger and Me".)  Has Rachel ever had Michael Moore on her show?  Now, there would be a voice of unrelenting outrage. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2016/01/national_guard_to_double_numbe.html

Edited by jjj

First of all, good on Rachel for being on this story for so long.  I know other media outlets have been reporting on it, but she was the first (at least the 1st I saw anyway) on TV to bring this to light.

People should be going to jail over this.  Starting with all those officials who kept saying, "You don't know what you're talking about.  The water is completely safe to drink!"  I want perp walks for those people. 

Gov. Snyder should resign at the very least.  I don't see how he could have handled this crisis much worse.  And I want a thorough investigation on him and his administration in their role(s) leading up to this disaster.  Hopefully criminal charges will result here as well.

I feel for the people there.  I hope they can get the help they need, like yesterday.  And that all their medical costs will be covered.  I hope the damage done isn't completely irreversible now.

• Love 1

I honestly don't know how they people of Flint have been handling it for so long.  I had to go without water for one morning on Saturday and almost had a breakdown over it.  And, that's the heartbreaking thing about their situation - I had a slight inconvenience one morning because something broke and was fixed by 12 noon.  They have had to go for months because a bunch of people made a decision and then ignored the warnings and signs that something was very very wrong and lied about it.

And, the guy who was the emergency manager in Flint when that decision was made about the water  - apparently, he is still the emergency manager in Flint.

I really liked the guy who was on the Friday News dump.

• Love 2

Rachel is the only one I've heard report that the cost of treating the water would've been only $100 a day for three months. That's $9,000, a pittance in terms of a state budget, and the Governor and emergency manager didn't even want to spend that. Which makes it all even more appalling. If the Governor or some state commissioner goes to a conference, they probably spend more than money for entertainment.

Just think of the billions they will now have to pay out to remedy the situation, and handle the law suits.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2

Wazzock.  We learned a new word today, Rachel and I.  I looked it up before she even said "I have to go look up 'wazzock' -- how do you even spell that?"

Do not miss the final four minutes of today's show, which show delicious clips of the British Parliament debating whether to ban Trump from their island nation.  "Idiot" "Buffoon" "Crazy" "Ridicule" "Stupidity" "Wazzock"  -- it is wonderful. As Rachel noted, the same view is shared by conservative and liberal party members. 

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wazzock

• Love 2

That was amazing last night.  Rachel was actually able to show what an idiot Palin is without actually saying the words.

And, until she pointed out it, I hadn't made the connection between McCain never blaming Palin in public and Palin endorsing Trump after Trump said those comments about McCain.

• Love 6

I heard Cher on MSNBC earlier talking about Flint.  She said that she found out about the situation from Rachel.  That must mean she's a viewer like we are! 

Aw, one reason that she is so concerned about helping out is that Sonny was from Detroit.

• Love 3

I heard Cher on MSNBC earlier talking about Flint.  She said that she found out about the situation from Rachel.  That must mean she's a viewer like we are! 

Aw, one reason that she is so concerned about helping out is that Sonny was from Detroit.

You should've seen Flint native Michael Moore on Chris Hayes' show last night. He kept bringing up Rachel's coverage, saying that she could easily win election as Flint's mayor now.

• Love 2

The crisis in Flint was discussed at the last Democratic debate, but not even mentioned at the Republican debate. No surprise. The only way these Republican candidates would care about poor black people drinking poisoned water is if they could claim it was done by Isis.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

And Rachel, I do know who Wayne Allyn Root is.  I would see him promoting his handicapping/gambling phone lines and websites all the time.  He'd say something like, "Call 1-800-blah blah" for your guaranteed NFL and college football game winner today!" 

So yeah, I've heard of him.  Had no idea he was getting into Presidential politics though.  Wonder if he can get me odds on if Trump will actually win the nomination or not.  ;)

The crisis in Flint was discussed at the last Democratic debate, but not even mentioned at the Republican debate. No surprise. The only way these Republican candidates would care about poor black people drinking poisoned water is if they could claim it was done by Isis.

The only reason it came up in the Democratic debate was because two of the candidates brought it up when asked if there was anything else they wanted to bring up. The media doesn't seem to care, either... aside from Rachel.

• Love 2

So, let's get rid of the VA - so, Republican candidates, who is then going to handle all the issues regarding Veterans. Such as survivor benefits, working on ending the homeless problems among Vets, the GI bill, maintenance of military cemeteries....just to name a few. I'm not surprised at all that the Koch brothers are behind this.

Aw, what a cute doggie!

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 3

So, if I heard correctly, Rachel will be in Flint for a town hall on Wednesday.  Do you think they will ever let her feet touch the ground, or just carry her on their shoulders for her entire visit? 

I am so looking forward to this.  And to how the Snyder administration positions itself in regard to any presence there.  We will surely be hearing from Dr. Mona.  Has she been live on Rachel's show yet, or have all her segments been on video?  Seeing them meet will be the cherry on top of this event. 

• Love 3

I've found it sad, pathetic and frustrating that Rachel's peers on MSBC do not credit her at all for breaking this story now that's broken wide.  I also find it frustrating that they use Dr. Natalie Azor (sp) who does not explain the problems with the lead testing via blood, and how it's meaningless after a point in time.  I'm excited for tonight though! 

• Love 2

I've found it sad, pathetic and frustrating that Rachel's peers on MSBC do not credit her at all for breaking this story now that's broken wide.

Flint knows whom to credit for this story.  And I have to believe there is a Peabody award in Rachel's future for this.  That is the gold medal standard in broadcast news! 

• Love 4

Flint knows whom to credit for this story.  And I have to believe there is a Peabody award in Rachel's future for this.  That is the gold medal standard in broadcast news!

I hope so because what is key for me is her exposing just how much power the state government(s) have, it's a problem. When the governor of a state can fire officials who were elected by the people, to represent them in a Democratic government... WTF?  She keeps reminding viewers of this point and it is key, it's where her reporting on this city/state began.

He fired elected officials so that he could take over, put his own chosen people in place and still nothing got better. Instead, half the town of Flint was poisoned. But it doesn't matter cause like the evil character in the movie Titanic stated, it wasn't the "better half."

Snyder the snake, just a nasty, soulless viper. 

I hear he's got what? Half a billion dollars in surplus yet he's trying to put Obama/government on blast for more money. No, you use that damn surplus first. What the hell is he keeping it for?

Edited by represent
  • Love 2

I hope so because what is key for me is her exposing just how much power the state government(s) have, it's a problem. When the governor of a state can fire officials who were elected by the people, to represent them in a Democratic government... WTF?  She keeps reminding viewers of this point and it is key, it's where her reporting on this city/state began.

Absolutely to the point!  She was the one around four years ago who raised the alarms about Snyder-appointed emergency city managers and Snyder legislation that allowed for the dissolution of local government years ago, back when Benton Harbor was taken over by an emergency manager who took away public park land to create a private golf course.  Now there are luxury homes next to incredible poverty.  Flint's current problems are the horrifying  culmination of these czar-like insular decisions to overtake local management of towns and cities.  It has been reported on subsequently, but Rachel was out there first.  Read this article now, with the hindsight of the problems of Flint created by the Snyder administration:   http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/magazine/benton-harbor.html?_r=0

Just saw the town hall, which appeared to be taped earlier today -- good mix of interviews, and ovation for Rachel at the end:  "ra-CHEL!  ra-CHEL! ra-CHEL!" -- then they cut away, too bad! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

back when Benton Harbor was taken over by an emergency manager who took away public park land to create a private golf course.  Now there are luxury homes next to incredible poverty.Flint's current problems are the horrifying  culmination of these czar-like insular decisions to overtake local management of towns and cities.  I

OMG, this is infuriating. I can't even look at Snyder's face anymore. It's one thing to try and shut poor people out, try to provide them with less access to education, professional opportunities etc.. but to literally poison them, fuck with their water supply. This is not even turning your back and pretending/hoping no one will find out because after all it was all in place before I came into office.

No, this was actually sitting down and giving the directive to switch the source of the water supply without treating the water, which has poisoned citizens. 

This is exactly like the like the Tuskegee Experiment... I mean this way past and over the line of Katrina. You can't compare this to Katrina.

And this shit is where exactly where the Black Lives Matter movement is coming from, this type of shit right here. If they want they can add poor people to it then yeah...  But It ain't just about police reform,  when people of color start crying, "whining" about racism and some people want to roll their eyes with here we go again...the Oscars my ass.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2

Michael Moore on Lawrence O'Donnell tonight really nailed it. He said that long before the water was poisoned, Flint and other cities like it had been abandoned by America. One school nurse for the entire school system? A city of 100,000 people without a single grocery store? Rachel said tonight that America will come together and find a solution to this crisis. But sadly, as horrible as this situation is with the water, it's really a symptom of a much larger issue.

The fact is that there are two Americas, and the billionaire class that has bought the government is perfectly okay with one of those Americans continuing to slide into the status of a Third World country. The statistics on the number of Americans living below the poverty line, especially women and children, are a disgrace for "the greatest country in the history of the world," as we keep hearing.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7

One school nurse for the entire school system?

I was reminded of a Simpsons episode where Lunchlady Doris took over for the school nurse because of budget cuts.  Which is just insane - real life shouldn't be like the Simpsons.  Granted, its been a long time since I was in school but I can't imagine elementary schools without a school nurse. 

No, this was actually sitting down and giving the directive to switch the source of the water supply without treating the water, which has poisoned citizens.

Exactly!  And then not just ignoring all the reports that seem to immediately come in that something was wrong with the water but to try to then destroy the people who were telling everyone what was going on. 

"Rachel Maddow put on a display of what cable news is truly capable of with a fantastic town hall discussion about the water crisis in Flint":

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/01/27/rachel-maddows-flint-town-hall-television-journalist-finest.html

I'm a little stuck about something that doesn't seem to be happening.  Why isn't each household provided with two or more multi-gallon containers which are filled daily by water trucked in from Detroit for household use?  The bottled water donations are great but they are an emergency stop-gap and these homes aren't going to be repaired any time soon.  It seems to me that monetary donations (and the freaking budget surplus) should provide for a more sensible, less polluting transition plan.  It still chaps my ass that they aren't providing enough manpower to distribute donated bottled water.

• Love 2
I've found it sad, pathetic and frustrating that Rachel's peers on MSBC do not credit her at all for breaking this story now that's broken wide.

That would be amazing. Not just because Rachel has totally earned it but I do think a lot of MSNBC still doesn't value Rachel because she didn't get her show through the same paths as most cable anchors (especially the ones who get on TV by schmoozing the right kind of people as Scarborough and Halperin do).  When I look at articles about the politics within MSNBC, I do get the impression there's a faction (one that frequently leaks to the media, hence all the stories about All In being on the verge of cancellation in the past few years) that sees Rachel and Chris as these dirty partisans who damage the network's respectability.

Why isn't each household provided with two or more multi-gallon containers which are filled daily by water trucked in from Detroit for household use?

That seems to be what Michael Moore suggested.  http://gizmodo.com/michael-moore-dont-send-bottled-water-to-flint-1755637410 "For those who choose to stay in Flint, FEMA must create a temporary water system in each home. One idea that has been suggested is to deliver two 55-gallon drums to every home in Flint. Each day water trucks will arrive to fill them with fresh clean glacial water from Lake Huron."   Of course, that just seems too logical so it probably won't happen. Sigh.

This gobsmacks me. I lived for a time in a town of 10,000, where there were 4 groceries. Not counting the Wal-mart.

I used to live near Detroit, and I think, that as Michael Moore mentioned, once you get inside the city limits there are few if any supermarkets either. Similar situation with many large, poor urban centers around the country. This is a huge issue, because people have to shop at convenience stores, where there is little to no fresh meat or produce, and prices on household staples are very high. One reason why people eat so much fast food. (Same with chain drug stores. In the Ferguson riots, the one chain drain store in the area, which had only recently opened, was trashed They interviewed people saying how that store was a huge deal to them, because they previously had to travel far to get their prescriptions).

Something to think about when politicians (mostly Republicans) talk about privatizing various services. Private business is solely about profit. So what if, for example, mail service is privatized? Does the company running mail service then get to decide that they will only deliver to areas where it's profitable for them?

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

I don't think Rachel has mentioned this point, which I heard on morning MSNBC today, and on NPR today:  anyone wanting the free bottled water or filters needs to have government-issued ID, so undocumented immigrants are unable to obtain the free water.  And because there is no local Spanish-language news broadcast, there had been an unawareness of the problems in the Spanish-speaking population, who learned about the issues with the water on one of the national Spanish-language broadcasts.   http://www.npr.org/2016/01/28/464664785/flint-s-undocumented-immigrants-hesitate-to-ask-for-help-during-water-crisis

Michael Moore on Lawrence O'Donnell tonight really nailed it

He was good, and he was getting choked up at the end.

During the town hall, when that representative said she met with Obama and he sends his love... I was like lady nobody needs to hear that.  And I did notice that the audience didn't have much of a response to that line. 

These people need their pipes replaced that's the only love that's useful or they need to relocate the citizens of this entire half of the town.

Those are the two options period. They just have to decide which one is cheaper.

Because they can get the fuck out of here with the pipes can be treated, and we can put filters on for the time being.....yeah, no.

I don't think Rachel has mentioned this point, which I heard on morning MSNBC today, and on NPR today:  anyone wanting the free bottled water or filters needs to have government-issued ID, so undocumented immigrants are unable to obtain the free water.  And because there is no local Spanish-language news broadcast, there had been an unawareness of the problems in the Spanish-speaking population, who learned about the issues with the water on one of the national Spanish-language broadcasts.   http://www.npr.org/2...ng-water-crisis

Yeah, I heard this and it's just inhumane to me, but that's nothing new. 

Shit, put them at the end of the line if that makes you feel better but don't deny a living human being water.  I mean really, who the hell is driving to this poisonous side of town to pretend they need water.  They fucking live there. This is worse than the supposed problem of "voter fraud."

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

During the town hall, when that representative said she met with Obama and he sends his love... I was like lady nobody needs to hear that.  And I did notice that the audience didn't have much of a response.

That was Michigan Senator Debbie Stabenow. I'm sure she means well, but her appearance there did have the taste of political grandstanding.

I guess no one brought it up last night because it would've been a distraction, but Ted Cruz sending bottled water only to anti-abortion groups in Flint is one of the more despicable things I've ever heard. It's un-Christian and un-American. And definitely un-Canadian.

Were there a natural disaster in a blue state, would a President Cruz order the National Guard to give food and blankets only to those who can prove that they're anti-abortion and heterosexual? And of course, nothing for Muslims. (Or Hindus, since Republicans can't tell the difference)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

That was Michigan Senator Debbie Stabenow. I'm sure she means well, but her appearance there did have the taste of political grandstanding.

I'm sure she does and so does Obama and his administration, but talk is cheap. I believe he cares, I do, but he's still a politician.

Show me you love me, otherwise don't bother telling me.

Yeah, love is a verb for me; it's about action.

I'm watching what you're doing a hell of a lot closer than what you're saying, that is, if you love me.

For example, Snyder has put all his cards on the table by his actions.  He has clearly shown me how much he truly hates all of the citizens that live on this side of Flint. I get it, he need not say another word. I'm glad he didn't show up at the town hall, because truthfully, there's nothing left for him to say.

I guess no one brought it up last night because it would've been a distraction, but Ted Cruz sending bottled water only to anti-abortion groups in Flint is one of the more despicable things I've ever heard. It's un-Christian and un-American. And definitely un-Canadian.

Christ on a cracker, if he isn't a complete waste of flesh.

• Love 2

We've heard Rachel's angry voice and her I am so disgusted voice but I think last night, Gov Synder got the angriest/disgusted version yet.  That's when she told how state employees got water shipped in while the state was telling everyone the water was ok to drink.

I hate it when they start showing Trump speeches.  Luckily, I think it wasn't for that long.  I switched to Bob's Burgers and when it ended, Rachel was back on.

• Love 3
I hate it when they start showing Trump speeches.

OMG, me too. It's puh-lenty that they (Rachel & Chris) cover him as much as they do, I'm not watching live-feed.  (I switched over to Flip or Flop, myself. Heh.)

• Love 2

I really appreciated Rachel's choice of Paul Rieckhoff as a guest last night, I know they are bffs (saw a clip of them together ages ago on something Lizz Winstead was doing in NYC), but his voice was the perfect counterbalance to the Trump shenanigans.  Earlier in the day, I'm not sure on which show, John Stoltz appeared decrying the whole "pet a vet" nature of Trump's condescending baloney.

I think Rachel made it pretty clear last night, as Chris Hayes has in the past, that her preference was to NOT switch to live Trump coverage, but that MSNBC makes it happen. It was great to see her last night trying to bestow on us the power to make Trump shut up and go away.

Although I do feel she covers him more than is necessary.

• Love 1