Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Employee Of The Month

I just binged this whole show over the weekend, and I`m thrilled I did. What a fun show. I adore it and everything about it.

I can see Maggie as a nurse. Just its going to be very very hard, with the baby, and the hi-jinks that always seem to break out. 

I`m glad they are seeming to keep Tina on the show, and Emma and Maggie are still going to be friends with her. If they are going to do Emma/Mark (which I`m pretty sure they are) this seems like the way to do it. 

• Love 7

Yes! Birdbones at the end there was the highlight of an episode that otherwise disappointed me with a by-the-numbers love triangle. Hopefully the next episode will take it somewhere unexpected.

I'm glad this episode finally addressed what Maggie does for a living, because I had just begun wondering how these two ladies could afford raising Charlotte and living in that house. Now I just wonder how exactly her parents died. S2 finale reveal?

• Love 1

I'm not opposed to Mark/Emma (not rooting for it either; I can go either way depending on what the show gives me), but one episode after the split was too early to do the stupid "innocent physical interaction turns to sexually-charged moment" routine. 

I loved Maggie's storyline, and generally enjoyed the rest of this episode.  But is she the only one working?  When Mark is going on with nonsense about all the stuff he has to do, why is his job not included?  I know it's a small town, but he's a cop; he must have something he's supposed to be doing.  And what is Emma doing for income?  I know she had a well-paying career before agreeing to help Maggie raise the baby, but she doesn't strike me as someone who can retire at this age. 

(I didn't pay the best attention last season, so maybe these questions have been answered.)

I'm glad Birdbones seems to be sticking around; I love the idea of them being friends with both of them.

"Your ankle is going to be fine.  But you do appear to be a child trapped in a man's body, so ... get that checked out."  Ha.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

The video game Mark was playing was called, "Fatal Blow Out 2"! I was so giddy over the reference to Best Friends Forever. For those of you who didn't watch it, "Fatal Blow Out" was the name of the video game that Lennon's boyfriend was making. Plus the boyfriend modeled one of the game's characters after Lennon wearing a tank top, only with giant boobs.

8BUw6Cn.jpg

Edited by evethegreat
  • Love 3

And what is Emma doing for income?  I know she had a well-paying career before agreeing to help Maggie raise the baby, but she doesn't strike me as someone who can retire at this age. 

(I didn't pay the best attention last season, so maybe these questions have been answered.)

I was wondering that too.  She doesn't seem to have anywhere in particular to go during the day.

It's good that Birdbones showed up at the end. I was starting to worry that the show was going to forget she'd ever existed now that the path is clear for Mark and Emma.  That or she'd gotten trapped under an avalanche of beautiful linens.

• Love 1

I'm so torn. Pairing Emma and Mark is awfully predictable, for a show that has managed to either avoid or generally up-end the predictable. But, I love Keegan-Michael Key so much on this show that I want to see him as much as possible.

I would probably prefer it if Emma was with Rabbi Dan (who's adorable) for a while, Mark does his own thing for a while, Birdbones is still around, and maybe eventually Emma and Mark end up back together. Still normal sitcom romance arc, but with so many comedic possibilities in the interim.

Side note - caught a rerun of the season 1 episode where they end up in the pool at the Jewish Community Center, and Mark referenced Rabbi Dan. I appreciate that attention to detail.

• Love 4

Dammit Tara, I was all caught up on my tv, and then you and Sarah had to go and convince me to watch this amazing, hilarious show that I immediately binged in a matter of 2 days. These are my people! I am so torn between Dan and Mark. Cause that's gonna get awkward REAL fast if Tina has nothing but time on her hands to spend with her only girlfriends and then Emma becomes Mark's actual girlfriend.

A side note: How exactly is Emma contributing financially to this household? Maggie has to get a job waiting tables to pay the bills but Emma, the high powered businesswoman, gets to play with the baby all day long? And how will that work exactly once Maggie goes back to nursing school? Does Emma just have shit tons of cash from being a workaholic for 13 years?

• Love 2

I too am a new convert to this show.  Thank goodness for On Demand.  I binged all of season one over the weekend.  And have just caught up to date with S2.

Things I loved about this episode:

- Emma's Steve Harvey voice & Mark's reaction to it

- Charlotte's expression as Mark was talking about their 'Third World water pressure'  (actually I love all the little cut-aways to Charlotte's face.  That child actor is ridiculously charming)

- Mark: "That's my jam right there."  when the Murder She Wrote theme song starts to play

- Bird Bones prancercizing.  Of course she'd have ankle weights.

Things I Didn't love:

- The unnecessary reminder that Emma & Mark are kinda maybe gonna hook up eventually.  We know it will most likely happen, but the show has been so smart so far in how it has been handling everybody's relationships that this felt clumsy for the show.   Which to too bad because Keegan-Michael Key and Jessica St. Clair have such great natural chemistry.  They really feel like they've known each other forever so they sell it.  I just don't want it to happen right now. I actually want Emma and Rabbi Dan to run a natural course like they let Mark & Tina did.

A side note: How exactly is Emma contributing financially to this household? Maggie has to get a job waiting tables to pay the bills but Emma, the high powered businesswoman, gets to play with the baby all day long? And how will that work exactly once Maggie goes back to nursing school? Does Emma just have shit tons of cash from being a workaholic for 13 years?

I bet she does.  I have a friend who works for a company that contracts with high end hotels to provide the  soaps/shampoos etc. that you get in hotel rooms.  She's single and has no kids.  And she travels all over the world on the company's dime so she she has very little personal overhead.  She bought a small house (for cash) as a home base only because she thought it was stupid to continue to rent an apartment and owning property was smarter tax wise.  Her mom & dad keep an eye on her place when she is out of town.  But for the most part she just socks her ridiculously high paycheck away in savings and investments.  I don't know her exact net worth or anything, but she's worked for the company since we graduated college some 20 years ago and I'll bet she could quit right now and live comfortably for the rest of her life without having to work again.

• Love 2

I like how they're writing Emma and Mark, particularly how easily they vacillate between friendship and something more.  Right now, Emma is being a good friend, which is what Mark needs, just as he's inserted himself into her life over and over again because of his friendships with Maggie and Gwen.  I like that about both of them, that they really do have good hearts and can see past their issues with each other to put other people first.  I also think the sudden bursts of sexual tension make sense for two people that refuse to actually discuss their history, confront how much they've changed, or admit how much things have stayed the same.  Plus, their chemistry has a lot of heat.

Either way: I love that Emma is involved with two men that wholeheartedly embrace her for the weirdo she is.  We should all be so lucky.

Also? Not only does little Charlotte rival the "Raising Hope" twins for best baby reactions, she looks exactly like the actor that plays Bruce.  To the point that I wonder if she's his real life child.  So excellent casting all around.

• Love 4

I feel like Dan is not a fully-formed character, which makes him feel even more obviously like an artificial roadblock in the Emma/Mark OTP. And by not fully-formed, I mean that if you look at almost every other character on the show, they are all wacky in some instantly obvious and memorable way. But Dan has not really shown any wacky traits; he's just generically charming in a standard rom-com way. And that's a shame.

I too was wondering what Emma does for work now. I think she's got a bunch of savings that she must be living on now, but she'll probably have to get a job sometime soon (if I heard right, we're already 9 months after Charlotte's birth). I had gotten the impression from S1 that she was using her business skills in the occasional side job here and there -- or maybe I'm just thinking about her organizing the cop fundraiser?

Honestly it seems like everyone on this show has a whole lot of time on their hands. The only two characters we see working regularly are Mark and the waitress. The whole town seems upper-crust, actually.

• Love 1

"This is my jam" for the Murder, She Wrote theme music might have been my favorite part of the episode.  I also enjoyed the "nothing bad ever happens there/nothing but bad things happen there" conversation about Cabot Cove; I enjoyed the show in its day, and would probably sit around now watching a marathon if I was depressed at the right time, but I have also long theorized that Jessica Fletcher is a serial killer who has diabolically framed others for her crimes. 

• Love 9

I cackled when Mark said, "this is my jam!" because I totally do the same thing, lol!

Last week, I commented on Emma and Mark likely being back on but I didn't expect them to jump on it so quickly! I don't know how many episodes there are this season, maybe there isn't enough time to spread it out, but I wish they'd pushed it off just one more episode. I'll take a Dan/Emma/Mark triangle over a Birdbones/Mark/Emma triangle, though.

Also? Not only does little Charlotte rival the "Raising Hope" twins for best baby reactions, she looks exactly like the actor that plays Bruce.  To the point that I wonder if she's his real life child.  So excellent casting all around.

Charlotte is so cute, and I too thought she looks like Bruce.

• Love 1