Type keyword(s) to search

Barefoot Contessa TV "Specials"

• Start Topic

I love Ina generally, and will continue to watch her shows, but one of my least favorite things she does is act so surprised when someone she's cooking with tells her something she MUST already know.  She acts like it's a novel idea she's never heard of.  Cinnamon raisin french toast was not a revelation to her, please.

Oh, I might try those cookies, then.  A local place just made a separate batch of ginger beer for a holiday Moscow Mule -- so spicy it warms you up.  There's a nice chunk of crystallized ginger in it to suck on as you drink.  They warn that mule is only for those who love ginger, so my friend and I immediately ordered a round ... and kept ordering for the rest of the night. 

I only saw bits and pieces of the holiday special and wasn't impressed, but I'd like to catch the whole thing if I happen upon a repeat.

I only saw bits and pieces of the holiday special and wasn't impressed, but I'd like to catch the whole thing if I happen upon a repeat.

I wasn't impressed either. The soup she made at the beginning looked good, and the pork roast did too. But that was pretty much the only actual cooking she did, other than the cookies. The rest of it was like, "This is how rich people celebrate Christmas."

My on-line guide shows it as a new show "Ina Garten tours Paris, visiting some of the city's finest restaurants helmed by American chefs; pear clafoutis at Spring; sea bream ceviche at Ellsworth; lobster rolls with a French twist; whiskey sours at the Le Meurice hotel."

I just watched the new special. It wasn't as disappointing as the Christmas special, but a close second. I'm not sure what I expected, but I was bored. The part I liked best was when Ina visited the couple from Boston who had relocated to Paris and had the Brooklyn-type deli. That was pretty interesting. I'm sure I'd seen Ms. Polliane on her show in the past.

The French version of the lobster roll looked good.

Same old lines. Ina (in the sous chef role): "I feel like a nurse."

Jeffrey was sent on another shopping trip  another one of "surprise picnics." Ina: "Who knows what he'll come up with." (It's pretty hard to screw up buying wine and cheese in Paris, which Jeffrey more or less admitted.)

I thought that "Jeffrey hates surprises." (So why do it for the millionth time?)  The boat ride might have been fun, but that water looked terribly rough and choppy. That dessert bought for Jeffrey's birthday looked scrumptous!

Best lines:

When one of the chefs told Ina, "This will serve four French people and two Americans."

Ina said that she and Jeffrey went out one night in search of the perfect whiskey sour and ended up drinking six.

• Love 4

I enjoyed the special, what really impresses me is Ina's hair--I wonder where she gets it done? We brunets go gray early so I'm guessing it is a dye job, and a very good one at that. As for the lifestyle which is featured even more than the food, Ina is a very fortunate person, she has been a great success personally and professionally, and pretty much I think when I watch her about how comfortably some people live, I'm not saying that she hasn't worked hard or doesn't deserve her life, only that she has enjoyed extraordinary good fortune.

Edited by LiveenLetLive
  • Love 1

No kidding about Ina's hair. When I met her at a book signing several years ago, both her hair and skin stood out to me - both absolutely radiant. And she could not have been more warm and friendly, not just to me, but everyone I saw her interact with.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the show and like the episodes where she showcases chefs.  It's always fun.  And what's not to love about an episode in Paris, really?  My only slight disappointment was the focus on American food with a twist (the beauty shot of the corn dog had me scratching my head).  But hey, after watching endless loops of Ree Drummond anything new from Ina is a pleasure.

And my only truly jealous moment of the day was wishing I could be in the shop with Jeffrey to buy a little bit of every goat cheese in the place.  French cheese is amazing, and I was drooling.

• Love 4

I was taking notes, since we'll be in Paris this spring (my first time). I've been saving every travel or food show that features Paris and London and making a list of places I want to visit.

chessiegal, I do hope E.Dehillerin is on your list for cookware in Paris. I've heard Ina mention it, and have made the trip there a few times.  Amazing copper and baking instruments.  I used to pack an extra suitcase to haul my stuff home, though it may be cheaper to ship now.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

I enjoyed the special, what really impresses me is Ina's hair--I wonder where she gets it done? We brunets go gray early so I'm guessing it is a dye job, and a very good one at that. As for the lifestyle which is featured even more than the food, Ina is a very fortunate person, she has been a great success personally and professionally, and pretty much I think when I watch her about how comfortably some people live, I'm not saying that she hasn't worked hard or doesn't deserve her life, only that she has enjoyed extraordinary good fortune.

Ina is a self-admitted Type A personality and it's apparent Jeffrey is too (he's always "working on a book" during every vacation)  They're both workaholics who also came from upper middle-class families, had (or I think in Jeffrey's case, have) high-level government positions, and made the decision to remain childless.  All of which equals a tremendous amount of disposable income to enjoy the good life.

Edited by Bronx Babe

I was taking notes, since we'll be in Paris this spring (my first time). I've been saving every travel or food show that features Paris and London and making a list of places I want to visit.

When is your trip? Please do post about your experiences in the Small Talk forum when you return!! Bon voyage!

P.S. If anyone in your group backs out, let me know!!! I can be ready in a moment's notice and my passport is current!

Edited by Spunkygal

When is your trip? Please do post about your experiences in the Small Talk forum when you return!! Bon voyage!

P.S. If anyone in your group backs out, let me know!!! I can be ready in a moment's notice and my passport is current!

We leave May 17th on the Queen Mary 2 from NYC. Tomorrow we are discussing hotels etc in London, Normandy, Provence, and Paris with our travel agent.

I saw the Paris special this morning and loved it!  My only wish is that they'd left out the whiskey sour making and shown more of Paris (and tell viewers who don't know Paris very well which section the stores/restaurants were in).  Ina looks good in that black cape.  Loved the cooking sessions with the young chefs - especially the guy who owns Spring and the story of how they met--funny!  I would think that the fish would need to marinate a bit longer in the lemon/lime juices in order to "cook"...but they seemed to enjoy it.  Wish I had gone to Poillane while in Paris.  I love French bread.  The boat trip looked like fun.  They could get out of the wind when they wanted to eat (or get warm) and stand up and enjoy the exhilaration of being out on the water on a brisk day.  Jeffrey's a good sport. There are a lot of people of his stature who aren't fun to be around but I think I'd enjoy sharing a meal with him and Ina.  chessiegal--did you write down the name of all these places so you can visit them?  Made me want to go back :>)

Edited by annzeepark914

Finally caught Paris Part Deux and have to say I was underwhelmed.  Ina was heh-heh-heh-ing with abandon and doing her usual "I wonder what Jeffrey is UP to?" schtick.   The least appealing thing about her show back in the Hamptons is how they get her "shopping" friends to look helpless and stupid going to market, all apparently to build Ina up into this fountain of gastronomical wisdom at their expense. 

I don't understand why Ina never wears a wedding ring.

• Love 1

I love Ina the way she is......I think she is just shy and a little nervous. She is very successful in her personal life as well as professional life.

And one of the best cook/chefs on FN ever. Unlike, imo, the current ones. Most of the good ones have left or now do game shows or road trips on FN. Anything but cook.

• Love 5

Yes, I wouldn't wear a real diamond ring while cooking or doing the dishes.   I was just curious because even during Ina's Paris specials, I don't see one on her hand.  And that's when she wasn't preparing meals, just buying appetizers to set up a buffet.

I do feel more sympathy for Garten after recently reading an interview where she said her mother was a "strict nutritionist" who viewed food as medicine.  Ina said "I was always hungry as a child".  And when Ina wanted to learn to cook, the mother pushed her away from the kitchen, wanting her daughter to focus solely on more success/materialistic goals..  I don't think Ina had a particularly warm or loving childhood.  It makes sense to me that Ina probably didn't want to emulate her mother's cold attitudes, so that's why we see Garten being so overly solicitous and nurturing towards Jeffrey. 

• Love 2

Maybe she just doesn't wear a wedding ring.  I know quite a few married people who don't, for various reasons.  I've never paid attention -- is she always without one, or just during certain segments?

I've never seen her wear one on the show, and she wasn't wearing one at the book signing where I met her. Her choice, and not my business.

To me, this is a non-event. Often I do not wear my wedding ring ... for sure when I am cooking ... and a lot of times when I am working. Does not make me any less married.

• Love 1

I finally caught Part Deux today and it really made me want to book a trip to Paris immediately. I would have devoured everything, including the whiskey sour! I am getting some whiskey on my next trip to the liquor store and trying that recipe. It all looked "faaaabulous and amaaaaazing." Ina did seem to ramp up the nervous giggling a bit much to me. But they are a sweet couple and are so lucky to be able to have an apartment there and visit often. I was surprised that she didn't know what cornnuts are! I guess she's never been in a convenience store or a regular supermarket checkout line. And her black cape/shawl thing is perfect for travel. I can guess the formula for her specials a mile away, but I'd much rather watch her than that gross, loud Guy Fieri and his son travel Europe.

• Love 3

Both Ina and Giada have attractive hands with a nice manicure and pale polish.  No rings are worn on their shows.  It just looks better when preparing food (and even when they're not handling food, I don't think either one is wearing a ring).

I've been so swamped with work that I haven't had time to watch Ina for a long time.  I did record her Paris special, though, and sat down to watch it the other night.  Since I only got through about 1/4 of the show, I won't comment on anything that may have come after that.

I was completely surprised by Ina.  Here were my three peeves:  She seemed to be acting throughout, whether she was with Jeffrey or a chef or someone else.  Her laughter and wisecracks interrupted especially the young chef who's starting two new places in NYC.  She laughed so hard with him that she actually laughed at two perfectly serious statements he made!  Then, she tried to impress with her culinary knowledge, but her comments were all rudimentary things that ALL of us know, not just Ina.  She made a fool of herself.

My husband turned to me during a commercial and asked, "Is she high or something?"  I guess I'll watch the rest of it, just to see whether it gets any better, but I felt that this first part was terribly boring.

Oh, and how about that?  A French waiter in a high end restaurant actually recognized Ina Garten!!!  You called it a funny story, Ina, but it wasn't.  From my spot on the bench, it was just good, old-fashioned bragging.  (All of this is merely IMHO.  I'm just crying in my lemonade because I feel let down.)

Ohhhhh!  DUH.  I thought that much boasting was so unlike the Ina I learned to love long ago now.  Thank you for straightening me out.  (Sorry, Ina.)  And apologies to the folks who were given the wrong impression of The Great Contessa.

I enjoyed today's Cooking Like A Pro and thought Ina did a good job.  Roasting a chicken with radishes is interesting (but how does one keep the chicken from spitting all that grease all over one's oven?)  I'm going to grill the swordfish using Ina's recipe.  Looks so good.  Loved the flower arrangement but who was that florist and where is our buddy, Michael?

• Love 1

I have been given orders to get my cholesterol down, so although I would have enjoyed the pate, my arteries clogged just watching her prepare it. @annzeepark914, was the episode with the swordfish and lady florist a repeat? My DVR didn't record it. I looked ahead to next Sunday and the episode following Cooking Like a Pro is a repeat. How great is it to have her back? ;-/

• Love 2

@Spunkygal:  Oh yeah...sorry!  Right after Cooking Like a Pro, there was a repeat of an older show (but not that old) where Tessa's mom came down from Cape Cod to grill with Ina and do flower arrangements.  The "mom" (can't remember her name) went to a florist and picked up some orange tulips, blue flowers and small orange flowers and brought them to Ina's.  I guess I got concerned because that florist was not Michael.

Glad to see a new Barefoot Contessa. Even though she cooked chicken for the billionth time, I enjoy her.  She's a breath of fresh air in FN's stable of untalented hacks.

• Love 3