Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E16: Beastmode

• Start Topic

Superbowl Sunday & the Bering Sea: The Cornelia Marie hatches a scheme to watch the Seahawks play. An injured crewman jeopardizes Captain Keith Coburn's plan on the Wizard. The Cape Caution crew makes a near fatal error. The Time Bandit loses a Captain.

"why did they throw it?"   What everyone watching the game --including the Pats fans asked.   I think I heard a fleeting "fuck"

Monte Colburn, relief captain stayed behind on the Wizard.   "He's a 49ers fan."   bwahahahahahahaha.

"There's insane and there's stupid, let's not be both."   While getting into a tiny dinghy on the Bering Sea.   Yeah break in the weather.   What if the weather changed while they were on the Cornelia Marie?

Speakng of the Cornelia Marie -- Josh can't afford to fish baridi because there's no money.   But there is a spare 5K to blow on getting the Super Bowl beamed to the boat.   Yeah, it's the SUPER BOWL.   I may have thought "I could never crab, it's during football season" (and I'm female) but if I am running a business, I have to think of the cost here.    Josh wanted to see it.   It had nothing to do with "morale."   He's never cared about the morale on the boat, just his screen time.

• Love 7

I rolled my eyes at the 5k waste to watch the superbowl. Like, really? Based on all the problems your boat has had in the past 3-5 seasons, and the fact that you currently are getting terrible numbers, you're going to spend 5k to "boost morale?"

Not gonna lie, I was laughing at some of the faces they made when the Seahawks lost in the stupidest way possible.

More problems for Wild Bill. Typical. I do feel bad that they lost 30 grand because a person failed in doing their math (or double check the calculations properly). And yes, math can be difficult, but now I question whether the numbers/calculations are ever double-checked for accuracy.

• Love 2

I thought they said Wild Bill would lose $330k, about $10k per deckhand.  That is tough, and could fuck up the season.

I felt bad for all the Seahawks fans.  It was a heartbreaking loss for them.

No updates on the injured deckhands?

• Love 4

Oh, maybe I misheard. It sounded like 33 grand to me, but 330 would probably make much more sense. Lol.

So knee cap guy is just resting. And the hand guy isn't working for like, 3 days, to see whether or not he can continue to work or not. Man that's a lot of meds to take. :(

• Love 1

Well, it was fun to watch all the crews reactions to the Super Bowl. The number one question - WHY did the Seahawks pass instead of run the ball?  Funny to watch Jake Anderson telling the two guys to close their door and go to bed because they were gloating over the Patriots win.

Josh spending 5k to stream the bowl game to the CM - what a waste of money when they were counting pennies. Although, Casey did not seem to mind spending the money either.  I also wondered what the guys from the Wizard would have done if the weather had changed. "Best

F - - - ing five grand I have ever spent".  Shows where Josh's priorities are.

Wild Bill can never get a break. It was a good thing he discovered the problem with the tank. I was surprised at least Nick missed it.  I guess  the captain does not check the numbers for quota with someone to make sure it's correct.  330k is a huge loss for the boat. That did look like a lot meds the gh John was talking for his hand, but it did look a little better. I must have missed the part where he is not working for three days. I do not remember hearing that.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 3

It may not have been three days exactly, but they did say a couple. That's why Nick made the comment of having a house maid for a few days. I'm actually surprised that Wild Bill was willing to wait and see if the infection got better rather than immediately boot the guy. That was nice of him.

• Love 2

Keith was his usual Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde - being so nice to knee cap boy making sure he was doing OK then laying into him the minute he tried to give Keith and excuse.  Although I don't know if I blame Keith this time, it's gotta hurt to know you let the female horn go because she was working at about 50% only to get someone whose at zero.  

Not the first time we've heard a captain who got a bad deckhand complain how they didn't have time to completely check out the guy and his background - seems like even if you're in a rush if you've been burned three or four times before you'd take that extra hour to be sure.  Even if they thought they couldn't spare the time before leaving dock it seems better then the waste of time and manpower once they're at sea..

Being a "non-sports" family the superbowl stuff especially between CM and Wizard was hysterical to us.  Noticed when the skiff was on the DM deck - the name on the back is "Little Whiz" -  good one Keith.

Josh and has 5K well spent can go away at any time and won't be missed.  On the other hand Jake A joking with the deckhands was the most normal thing he's done in weeks which was nice to see.

• Love 4

Not the first time we've heard a captain who got a bad deckhand complain how they didn't have time to completely check out the guy and his background - seems like even if you're in a rush if you've been burned three or four times before you'd take that extra hour to be sure.  Even if they thought they couldn't spare the time before leaving dock it seems better then the waste of time and manpower once they're at sea..

I heard the clip again this week from the bad knee guy where he talked about being from a fishing family, that his Dad is a captain.  I would really like to see a short interview with the guy's Dad where they show him the footage of his son's knee going out on the boat, then the impact on the rest of the crew.  I wonder what he'd say.   Feel bad for his kid, then suggest that he's a dumb @#$ for going out on the Bering Sea with an artificial knee that's prone to failure?

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 2

Say what you will about Wild Bill, but when he was out on deck his mane of white hair looked glorious blowing in the wind against that Bering Sea sunset sky.

(wait, did I just say that out loud?)

I noticed that, too.    I bet the video guys were thrilled with that shot.   good lighting, good wind, good camera angle, good subject.    yeah!

Keith was his usual Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde - being so nice to knee cap boy making sure he was doing OK then laying into him the minute he tried to give Keith and excuse.  Although I don't know if I blame Keith this time, it's gotta hurt to know you let the female horn go because she was working at about 50% only to get someone whose at zero. 

did kneecap get to watch the game?    for a second I was thinking Monte might have been all alone on the wizard for a couple of hours.  one-man boat!    then I thought of the camera guys, then I thought of kneecap.

total crew = 10?

Since the lady greenhorn was doing most of the work items, but was just wearing down,   I wonder if they could have offered her a smaller deal.   like 8 hours of deck time per day.  or bait and sorting only.     for $XX per hour.     the crew gets some help, and she doesn't wear down so much.   get a fresh greenhorn and keep her, too.

Edited by clod
  • Love 3

Clod - I agree with you. She did not do a bad job at all. Keith said he likes to grind people 24/7. It would have made sense to do something like you said. That would be better than not having a gh to work.

I wonder if Wild Bill has ever been offered any shampoo/hair company deals? If not, maybe one should consider it.

I think Wild Bill kept the gh because before he injured his hand he was working his ass off and not complaining. Wild Bill was even praising him. Guess Wild Bill knows that when the gh can go back to work he might be better than a new gh who does not know how to do anything.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1

Amy made it through those two massive storms before she finally got worn out. The truth is ALL greenhorns are slow. Of COURSE they are -- they haven't learned the skills. Now, it may also be true that she lacked the muscle to ever excel at the job, but realistically, she did the job as well as most greenhorns and with less complaining. She was just finally over it. Had those two storms not hit on her first trip out, she might have made it all the way without a melt down.

• Love 7

Since the lady greenhorn was doing most of the work items, but was just wearing down,   I wonder if they could have offered her a smaller deal.   like 8 hours of deck time per day.  or bait and sorting only.     for $XX per hour.     the crew gets some help, and she doesn't wear down so much.   get a fresh greenhorn and keep her, too.

That would have been a smart thing to do, maybe augment the 8 hrs of deck time with other shipboard tasks as well.  Karma bit Keith square on his behind when he got rid of her and hired a man at short notice to replace her.

• Love 1

Aside from Bill's flowing locks (he's justifiably proud of them -- good genes there!), there was also that awesome time lapse shot underwater of all the various sea creatures passing through the crab pot before it filled with crab.  Bet that camera person won the big prize for best/most innovative shot of the season!  I know they've been trying to capture that for years -- somebody finally nailed it.

You figure 8 guys came over from the Wizard, plus another 8-10 on CM (counting cameramen) -- each guy could have kicked in a few hundred and paid for the game.  It's nice that they weren't asked.  Stupid, but nice.  You know a few hundred would not have mattered to them versus 4 hours off and a good game. Hell, they'd've spent that on their bar bill in Dutch.

I have never seen Nick so animated - he could not believe it.  WHY DID THEY THROW IT?!!

• Love 5

Re: the 5k for the connection on the CM:    I wouldn't be surprised if Discovery put the money up for that connection just to have a storyline.  They knew the Seahawks were playing in the Super Bowl, so Discovery probably realized they had a story there.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Wait, when did the Time Bandit lose a captain?

Andy left to go do stuff of some sort.

Nick's face throughout the entire radio broadcast was hilarious. He was very animated. It was adorable. Then his soul got crushed when they threw the ball. His and Lenny's faces were the most fun to watch.

Also, I wonder how much of Rigel's expressions were born from fear or pain when Keith first chewed him out. He was gripping the rail thing so tightly (which i guess was probably due to the pain) but he looked downright terrified. He probably thought Keith was going to straight-up murder him.

I think Keith has been doing a pretty good job keeping his temper under control this season. He's mellowed out a bit over the past few seasons. I think he handled the knee cap matter well, as well as the Amy situation.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

Karma bit Keith square on his behind when he got rid of her [Amy]and hired a man at short notice to replace her.

Heh, it certainly did and I can't even say I felt bad for Keith; he was so sure that any guy, even one he didn't take time to check out, would be better than a girl greenhorn working below capacity.  Bad move. 

I have never seen Nick so animated - he could not believe it.  WHY DID THEY THROW IT?!!

That was funny.  I live in Seattle and you would not believe how crazy people in this town got over the Superbowl. I can think of plenty of people that would have paid $5K to watch that game although none of those people would be me.   I'm not really a football fan but of course I went to a Superbowl Party and when the Seahawks lost the way they did everyone [watching] reacted exactly the way Nick and basically the rest of the crew reacted.  I don't remember ever seeing that many bummed out men in one room.  Keith taking the crew out in that skiff didn't even surprise me but it did look like it could have turned dangerous if the weather hadn't held.  Did anyone else notice that Keith either didn't have his survival suit all the way on or it wouldn't go all the way on?  What was up with the rope belt, lol? 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 4

iirc, Seattle had a running back  that was doing very well that day.

if they were not making any headway running,  a pass might make more sense.     but their back was having a good day.    

????

• Love 2

Cosmocrush - I went on vacation to Seattle last year - loved it. It is a beautiful city.  Pete Carroll(the SH coach) made a big mistake they could have won the game if they had just run the ball in.

Here in the NY/NJ Metro Area many a Giant and/or Jets fan would pay much, much more than 5k to see them in the super bowl.

I think karma also got Keith. Amy at 75% was better than no gh working on deck. Not sure, but I think a couple of the guys did not have their survival suits fully on.

• Love 3

While watching the show, I had no doubt that Josh was going to get criticism for spending around five grand to get the super bowl but at the same time I got it.  And yeah, maybe some people don't get this but just getting to watching the show was a super moral booster.  Hey, for Keith to put his guys in survival gear to go over to the CM...it's a big deal.

I felt bad for the guys on CC.  Apparently Captain Bill isn't a football fan.  Too bad.

And yeah, Amy may not have been the strongest person on the Wiz, but she was way better than her replacement.  She actually was pretty good for a greenhorn.  Last season on The Bait Keith had talked about his son coming on the boat.  Guess that didn't happen.  I'm kind of not surprised.

• Love 1

My brother thinks a show like Deadliest Catch makes a very dangerous job even more dangerous-  he is afraid that the guys will 'play to the camera' and do stupid stuff.

I want to think that Keith putting his crew into the skiff - just to watch the Super Bowl - was an example of this.  But honestly - I really believe they would have done that, cameras or no cameras!  It was insane to watch that tiny boat bounce up & down when it was next to the Wizard - I TOTALLY would have backed out at that point... I'm really surprised no one got hurt during loading.  Glad they didn't!  I was loling when the motor went out - and the guys were trying to row with their arms...

• Love 1

I think they knew what they were doing. I think they would have gone to the CM tv or no tv. I also think Keith would not have done it if the seas were too rough. If anything else, he is always concerned about the safety of his crew.

• Love 1

Sorry- I thought this was the worst show yet. I'm not into football - flat out. I confess. It was still stupid - for these reasons: 1) Keith belly aches abut the greenhorn not working fast enough but closes down the entire operation for 1/2 day for the game? 2) Keith bitches that a crew member is hurt yet risks the dangers of transferring to another ship and back again - for a game? Could the little boys grow up? Please.

And while I'm on a tear. Bill is a jerk. Let's blame the son - let's blame everyone except himself for not checking the tank for water. The Captain is responsible for his ship. Helloooo! What do you do, Bill?

Edited by Curious5
  • Love 2

It certainly would have made for good tv if somebody broke a leg getting into the boat and slipped kneecap guy was there enjoying Keith's predicament.  

Not that I blame Keith for being upset at the guy, or that I think Keith overreacted (in fact, in fact, compared to the producer not making coffee and Monte not waking him up to see the walruses, it was downright sweet).  It just would have been amusing to watch Keith justify the risk in retrospect to a guy who he blasted for putting other people's livelihoods on the line by taking his own risk.

• Love 1

Kassa - As usual - your thoughts are ALWAYS insightful. I kind of agree. However, I don't think Keith would have done it if the weather or seas were bad.  I am not always a fan of Keith - especially with the coffee episode. But, he seems to have gotten somewhat better.

That would have been something if someone had got injured - disco would have had a field day. A couple of the guys had trouble getting into and out of the boat.  I at first thought someone was going to fall into the water. Also, Keith never had his suit zipped up - not too smart. He looked too heavy for the suit though.  I was happy to see Josh extend a hand to Keith so to speak after the shitty way he was treated earlier.

*Tomorrow is a two hour final according to my tv listing.

*Edited for typing error

Edited by NEGirl

I checked my trusty Uverse listings; here's what is showing for Tue 8/11 (episodes are only 1 hour)

Deadliest Catch: The Bait 

"Ladies Night"

Amy shares her thoughts on the Wizard with interested viewers; the Captains speak with the first woman to command a U.S. Navy vessel; the featured skippers are invited to take part in a game called "Name That Greenhorn"

Deadliest Catch

"I'm the Captain"

Ice from the Arctic Ocean reaches the fleet, jeopardizing the rest of the season; difficult conditions challenge Jake's ability to lead; Sig considers off-loading his crab; Casey teaches Josh a lesson; Keith struggles to finish.

walnutqueen - TY - I was not sure of that.  I saw a coming attraction last night(Sun) that shows Jake A. screaming "I am the captain" aka Josh. Sounds like it will be a good two hours.  Didn't they do a "name the gh" just a few weeks ago on the bait?

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1