Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E30: Nia vs. Kalani: Winner Take All

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

The ALDC face the MDP. Abby gives Kalani and Nia head-to-head solos to determine who will get the senior division solo next week. Nia begins to feel the pressure of prepping for the solo and also shooting her second music video.

I actually thought Kalani danced better, but I did love Abby's face when Nia won.  And of course she changes the rules once they didn't suit what she wanted.  The solos at national were all pre-picked and this contest was just to try and pretend she was fair.

Also, I feel really old and out of it, because I have no idea what the significance of "Bye Felicia." Apparently it's trendy?

That storyline was so fake that it appeared to be produced by the children who judged the competition.  Show Kalani dancing beautifully, cut to Abby with a big smile.  Show Nia dancing awkwardly, cut to Abby with a mean face.  Have Nia somehow win and change the rules!  If that had actually been real, then that would be a time for a mother to storm out with her kid.  But it wasn't, so Nia's still there. 

And Nia's video - why?  Why were there hard looking 40 something has-been actresses in her video?  Why were there skanky looking 30 year old back up dancers?  And then randomly you have a little girl dancing, Jojo.  Why couldn't they get some of the current Disney kids or even some of the you-tube dancing kids to be in it?  That would attract her target audience of young kids.  11 year olds are not going to enjoy that video. 

Nia never should have won w/ that solo. That solo wouldn't win in any age division, let alone teen and against a dancer like Kalani. Not only was the solo itself cheesy, but Nia didn't even perform it well. If I were Abby I probably wouldn't give her a solo at Nationals either, cause that result was just ridiculous.

I agreed w/ the group dance results. It also seems like MDP recycles moves just like ALDC - they did all the same stuff that's been in their other dances in that dance.

That video of Nia's - oh my - Carmen Electra a huge celebrity? Really??? - like Nia woild have ANY clue in the world who she is - that was so fake. And how embarassing for Carmen Electra to be doing something like that video - I actually remember her 15 minutes of fame from whatever year that was, and no matter how desperate you may be to get on TV, there are some jobs you just should NOT do - smh :/.

• Love 5

Wow - so much negativity! Actually - I stayed up for last night's episode - and part of Thurs throwback. Here's my take on things.

1. If the grand opening is next week - Abby better get construction moving as the place looked pretty bad - Her dance studio reconstructions were done faster than her own studio.

2. She thinks Nia is doing too much all at once and yet she's opening a new dance studio - taking the girls to Nationals and having breakdowns in between. Like the pot calling the kettle black.

3. Quit with the fakery - we know what a beautiful dancer Kalani is and that Nia isn't in her league - that being said - this was a competition being judged by kids ( no matter their background - it's not as extensive as adult judges ) also kids look at things differently.

4. Nia not being allowed in the group dance - how many times has Kenzie or Maddie been gone part of the week and then been allowed to dance with the group

5. I actually thought Erin's number was way better than the ALDC. I couldn't see a lot of the dance, the lines, or expressions due to the parasols - which weren't even in sync for most of the dance - I thought this was the worst dance yet. Again - Maddie front and center with the Maddie face at the end. Sorry but Abby's dances are all recycling - hardly any new ideas - so you can't call someone else out for doing the same. Erin's concept was cool - the dancers strong and you could actually see the dance - even though the girls faces were covered - it didn't distract from the dance.

6. Again Abby's double standard with who gets a National solo. I was also appalled that she showed such favortism in front of Erin and her moms and I was glad they were supportive of Nia.

7. Jill and Melissa - they are pathetic - love to brag about their own kids but Holly can't and then to rudely act that way toward Erin - who was not talking to them.

8. Nia's video or preview plus the whole song on youtube is getting multiple hits and positive comments already from thousands. We can tell the Kendall lovers.

9. The aftershow - had to turn it off - Jill's mouth never closes and both she and Kendall, I thought, had some pretty rude and not nice things to say. Again - Kendall becoming a member of the ALDC was preplanned but let's make a production out of it so it looks like we're having tryouts. Actually - I think production wanted Jill between the two - due to the drama she's brings.

I think that Holly is on her way to a nervous breakdown. Every week she is complaining. For the love of all that is holy, take your kid away from ALDC and STFU. If there is another season, I sure hope Holly does not lock herself in by signing up for another year. If you are so unhappy and no one cares and everyone is jealous, remove yourself and your child from the situation.

Edited by lasandi
  • Love 1

The choreography that Nia was given was worthy of a nine year old; the costume sucked as well.  No surprise that Nia was given jazz compared to Kalani's contemporary in an effort to rig the outcome.  Though I know it was producer driven it was funny to see Abby outdone.

MDP only lost due to the fall, they must have been within 10ths of points, there was no synchronicity with the umbrellas.  Those (ALDC's) were supposed to be "fantastic" costumes?  Not so much.  

Melissa and Jill's behavior as always, was abhorrent towards Nia (Holly) along with Abby's predictable nonsense.

Maddie, Mack, Kalani and Nia should all get solos, hell give each one of them a solo, like most studios do if they are going to the trouble of competing at "Nationals" - that way you have more of a chance of having a "winner" in at least one age division.

It also seems like MDP recycles moves just like ALDC

Show me a studio/choreographer that doesn't recycle moves please.  Almost everything out there has been done 1000s of times before.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

Erin kids have no heart. They are too mechanical and the reason I prefer ALDC. This is definitely a fake story line. And then the moms on the other team just happened to be right there to console Nia when Abby ignores her? I'm surprised the race card hasn't been played yet. But I'm glad it hasn't.

Laurie -

I'll disagree with you - we've had limited exposure to Erin kids - the last 2 routines were very well done and showed expression. I thought the lead dancer this week showed as much expression as Maddie does. You know it's all set up so why be suspicious that the other moms just happened to be there. It's Abby's behavior towards Nia that wasn't a set up. It's pretty easy to see what is producer driven and what are Abby's natural responses and tendencies.

I do actually think that production got Abby with Nia's win - her face during Nia's performance was disgusting - especially when she choreographed the routine - but she was enthralled when Kalani danced.

Time to put this company to rest and feature a new dance studio where although the moms might be in disagreement - the kids all get the same attention from the teacher. And please - give us a teacher who can actually dance.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the MDP dance this week, I thought it was much more visually interesting than then ALDC dance and was performed better overall. 

Kalani dances beautifully, but she doesn't really emote - at least I didn't see anything in her face until the end of the dance. Of course, Abby's story wasn't a whole lot to go on either - so not deep Abby! I thought Nia danced wonderfully in practice and did fine (not great) on stage, but her costuming was terrible and I was completely distracted. Love Nia, but I think Kalani should have won on the day.

I watched the majority of the Jill/Kendall fest afterwards and was completely turned off to those two. Blaming Chloe for her loss in a competition (no, that was you falling backwards out of your turn), we don't like Holly because she promoted the heck out of Nia's video on social media - well, isn't that what she's supposed to do? - feeling bad because you didn't think to do that? Sheesh! 

• Love 3

Laurie -

Time to put this company to rest and feature a new dance studio where although the moms might be in disagreement - the kids all get the same attention from the teacher. And please - give us a teacher who can actually dance.

Amen!

Regarding last night's episode, I wish Holly (and Nia) would quit trying to get validation from Abby. Who cares if Abby listens to Nia's song or gives Nia a hug? Holly needs to quit begging for Abby's approval. It looks desperate and gives Abby both the power she loves and the opportunity to reject/hurt Nia. Quit giving her those opportunities.

Instead, I wish Holly would keep focusing on the other opportunities Nia has been given because of the show and treat Abby like her opinion/approval is insignificant. Be polite but apathetic towards her while still talking up Mikey and all the other celebrities supporting Nia. That should drive Abby crazy and would be interesting to watch, Imo. Plus the name dropping would continue to make Jill and Melissa jealous.

• Love 2

I just logged on to say

What a effin bitch. I am ready to stop watching abby is so messed up. If I was Nia I would have punched her in the mouth. Ugh I'm so mad... ( just watched the episode I had recorded)

• Love 1

Every time I think that this train wreck of a show has reached new levels of idiocy, it soars to a higher level.  Everything about last night was patently absurd:

- Right Abby, you're going to let a bunch of 13 year old "judges" decide who will perform at "nationals" (if there is really such a thing).  Given that setup, was it any surprise that Nia, not remotely in the same class as Kalani, placed higher?  Did you notice that there was not much reaction from Kira to the scores?  Dead giveaway on what the cast knew in advance.

- Holly is either a great actress or has become as much of a moron as Jill (see item 1)

- Abby changing the rules?  Shocking.. not, but clearly scripted

- Nia's video?  Carmen Electra? Was Marilyn Chambers not available?  Carmen isn't even a tired sexual has been because she is a never was.  Hey Dr. Holly, expert in child education, how the hell was that appropriate?  JoJo looked hopelessly out of place with the older, and in some cases, pretty sloppy looking dancers.

- Melissa, once again a supreme hypocrite,  She lords Maddie's accomplishments over the others but when Holly returns serve, Melissa can't handle it.

This show has pretty much run out of steam and, after this season, should be put down in the name of mercy.

• Love 3

One other thing that struck me from Jill/Kendall last night is that Jill has never seen any sort of contract for Kendall's video/singing career. Apparently Kendall is putting together an album, but without seeing a contract how would they know where the money is going? If any is to be made, does it all go back to Abby? Does Kendall get anything out of it financially? Smells like those old Hollywood contracts for kids where so many were left destitute after managers/parents spent all they earned.

I did recognize one of the dancers in Nia's video.  Dominique Battiste who is part of the the whole Pulse crew.  She's currently dancing for Janet Jackson, so if she's qualified to dance for Janet then I think she can handle a Nia video.  She's also a lovely young woman, ridiculously talented, and barely out of her teens despite remarks to the contrary.  But the whole video itself was weird.

I can't even on the ridiculousness of any of this anymore.  I hope the show is put out of its misery.

• Love 1

Show me a studio/choreographer that doesn't recycle moves please.  Almost everything out there has been done 1000s of times before.

But the MDP uses the same tricks in every dance.  The one girl was is able to turn well.  Then the rest of them lift their right legs and turn, lift the right leg then turn.  Not much else.   Would they be able to do well with a more subtle dance like the umbrella dance?  Doubt it.

Lemons - in every routine - twice last week - Mac does the circle cartwheels. Maddie turns and shows the Maddie faces. Teachers highlight the most technically correct moves their student(s) can do in every dance. We unfortunately have to view them every week whether it be the ALDC or another dance studio as that's the show. There are only so many dance moves that qualify in each genre - so you're going to see most lyricals having the same moves performed by those doing lyrical at a competition. What it comes down to is the technical ability of those doing the moves, are they combined with other hard moves, how the moves relate to the telling of the story.

It's no different than in figure skating with everyone does a lutz, - but it's how high they can get, what they pair that jump with and how well they express themselves.

Edited by tessa
  • Love 6

My DVR is now recording FOUR "new" shows a week.  Ack!

I haven't watched much of these mom and daughter ones but I did watch part of Jill and Kendall's - Kendall is a brat too!

Would they be able to do well with a more subtle dance like the umbrella dance?  Doubt it.

I think they would probably be just fine, but that's not really the West Coast style, so I could be wrong.  West Coast is much more about power and less about petite allegro balletic movement.  They almost always do their pirouettes jazz style and not ballet style in lyrical which isn't wrong, it's just not balletic.  For the record, Lyrical was first mostly referred to as Lyrical Jazz, so there is definitely more than one style in which to perform it.  (Some is balletic, some is jazzy and some is more modern influenced.)

MDP definitely features the right leg developpé into turns, without question - it's probably their "trademark" move.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 3

Carmen Electra (previously Pussycat Doll) - I figured she was there because this was a Mikey Minden production - there's a theme that runs through all things Dance Moms.  Robin Antin was a judge on AUDC - which connects to Mikey, which connects to Oday and Electra.

MDP definitely features the right leg developpé into turns, without question - it's probably their "trademark" move.

It would be impressive if they ever switched over to their left sides.  But I'm sure they would if the girls were able to do it.  And I would bet they don't do more than an hour of ballet a week which limits what they will be able to do in the future.  Same with Abby's team. 

It would be impressive if they ever switched over to their left sides.  But I'm sure they would if the girls were able to do it.  And I would bet they don't do more than an hour of ballet a week which limits what they will be able to do in the future.  Same with Abby's team. 

It would be because dances look cooler when they can (half right half left in choreography), one of my favorite dances of my daughter's had a v formation with all stage right turning to the left and all stage left turning right in a huge fouetté sequence.

I don't know if the MDP "pre-professional" curricululm is required for company dancers, but it looks like they recommend 4 hours a week if it's one and the same. Sadly, often I've seen company requirements be only 1-2 hours at some studios.  It all depends though - MDP looks like they audition for each genre instead of the traditional company approach which is all styles in whichever company you are chosen for.  

I know in our old critique tapes back in the day - if the girls did things on both sides a big deal was made by the judges because too often it's not done.

Laurie -

I'll disagree with you - we've had limited exposure to Erin kids - the last 2 routines were very well done and showed expression. I thought the lead dancer this week showed as much expression as Maddie does. 

The lead dancer, Talia Seitel, is actually a great little dancer imo.

Here's one of her solos that I enjoyed

• Love 2

*Chiming in with the rest of you!  This show is just..... tired.  They MAKE me tired just watching the same thing, over and over and over.  Maddie-face.. Abby picking on Nia... Holly freaking out... "It's KENDALL'S TIME this week".... Just eewww. Stop already.

Edited by goofygirl
  • Love 5