Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: The Invitationals - Part 2

I enjoyed the episode.

DH and I had big reactions ( in the good way) to Sammy Obeid. "You're Muslim; you can't have beef!" Starting from Ten Deep to the finish, we couldn't believe it was as funny as it was. We even liked the triangle/square math joke!

Were there fewer "mini-documentaries" (TM Jesselnik) this time out? If seemed like it to me. (Andy Erikson and Tony Baker?)

Loved when the audience was jumping on the "ooooooh!" joke; that was fun! Once, after that, Keenan was describing something to another comic and I was hoping the audience would jump in with another "oooooh!" *g*

I missed if Ham Lake was h-a-m or Hamm, like the beer.

Ready for next week!

• Love 2

I liked Andy, but I can understand if she bugs to some people. I like quirky. I paid money to see Maria Bamford live, and that's the parallel I choose to draw.

I also dug Sammy Obeid, mostly because I have a math degree too. I hope he has more material up his sleeve, or he'll be sunk in the semis.

It still seems like Norm is on something, and I don't think it's an act. Jeselnik was okay this week. Still can't believe he's hosting. Look up his material . . . that guy can get dark really quickly.

• Love 2
(edited)

I enjoyed the episode, because I thought the comedians were funny (most of them, anyway).

I think the judges have a problem because it's a pre-selected group of at least basically competent contestants, including some people who've been around quite a while. If it was an open call they'd have a variety of people some of whom are great, others who are are extremely inexperienced, self-deluded, or otherwise extreme duds. So the judges don't get a lot of levels to go for in their reactions, and are in the weird position of having to either be bland and tell everyone they're good, or come up with "constructive critiques" for people who have already been selected for being good.

It's much more enjoyable for me to watch funny people than dud attempts, but I think the judges are struggling to find an angle.

I thought Andy from Ham Lake sounded EXACTLY like Maria Bamford. I'm glad it wasn't just me who made that connection.

Muslims eat beef. It's Hindus who don't. (Muslims don't eat pork). Just saying.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5

I liked Andy, but I can understand if she bugs to some people. I like quirky. I paid money to see Maria Bamford live, and that's the parallel I choose to draw.

I thought Andy from Ham Lake sounded EXACTLY like Maria Bamford. I'm glad it wasn't just me who made that connection.

Same. I'm not particularly a fan of Maria Bamford, but definitely did see the similarity.

It was nice to see Norm being more constructive with his feedback. Even if I didn't agree, it's more interesting than finding a way to compliment everyone.

Most comics had at least one joke I liked, but I thought Dominique and Francisco Ramos were the weakest. Naturally both made it through. Maybe they'll impress me next round.

• Love 2

Maybe it was the indigestion from the bad dinner I had last night, but I didn't find any of the comics all that funny.  I thought last week's were better and even they weren't that great.  I heard of Dominique because does spots on the Tom Joyner Morning Show.  I never thought she was funny and last night was much of the same.  I liked the Hispanic guy who went first the best, and Japanese/American guy. 

• Love 1

I thought the comedians were okay. Not a lot of laugh out loud moments in our house, but some sustained chuckling. Happy to see a little more physical comedy this year.

I'm not sure there's a real stand out yet. 

The editing on these invitationals gets weird sometimes. I'd love to see more of the people who don't make it through. There was one point around the half hour mark where I thought they started playing the pre-commercial break clips of what was still to come, but it turned out they were playing short snippets of other comedians who weren't making it through.

love it when the judges give actual, real, constructive feedback. It seems to me that is happening more frequently this year than last, and that makes me happy. Even Norm, with his weird "can I give you a joke?" and "the premise of your joke is flawed", gave some great advice. 

• Love 3

I'll have to wait for the recap before I can recount most of their names but I wasn't overly impressed with anyone this week, I thought it was a much weaker crop of comics than last week's premier. 

I thought Andy's material was hit-or-miss; the clog joke was a real groaner, but one of her other jokes was my favorite one of the night: "Do you think people in Mexico every say 'those damn jobs are stealing all our Mexicans?'"

(edited)

Imo I think Norm didnt' understand the joke about the OHHHH. The comic was (imo) was referring to the sentence  in Japanese.... the verb comes last  - not in English. That's how I took it anyway. Plus otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.... at all.

Maria Bamford 2.0 didnt' do it for me.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Imo I think Norm didnt' understand the joke about the OHHHH. The comic was (imo) was referring to the sentence  in Japanese.... the verb comes last  - not in English. That's how I took it anyway. Plus otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.... at all.

You could play it either way, and Norm was suggesting a slightly different sell. Either:

• In Japanese the verb comes at the end so the "Ohhh" is the listener recontextualising what he/she already heard.

or

• In English the verb is in the middle so the listener's "Ohhh" comes earlier than they're used to and they have to keep doing it because the sentence isn't over yet.

And I think it works either way, it's just a matter of the setup.  By memory I thought the comic (KT Tatara) was going for explanation 1 and Norm suggested explanation 2, but I don't remember well enough to parse the language precisely.

I thought Andy's material was hit-or-miss; the clog joke was a real groaner, but one of her other jokes was my favorite one of the night: "Do you think people in Mexico every say 'those damn jobs are stealing all our Mexicans?'"

I laughed at "the theme was trailer", but thought the best line from her set came from Anthony: "Did Andy make her hometown proud?  Or is she a waste of a perfectly good boys' name?"

• Love 2

I thought Andy was a little vaudeville comic, just throwing jokes out there to see what sticks, wasn't a big fan.  I could care less about her voice.

Did the judges know something we didn't about Andy's persona?  Norm really seem to imply that they knew her voice was just part of a character she was doing.

• Love 2

Norm seems sharper this week.

He must have gotten a nap or a better grade of drugs?

I didn't like Andy at all. I've always disliked the groaner, obvious type of jokes and hers I thought were really bad. But then I didn't really like anyone this time around. I was really looking forward to the guy with 2 sons after seeing his preview but I thought his jokes sucked.

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought Andy was a little vaudeville comic, just throwing jokes out there to see what sticks, wasn't a big fan. I could care less about her voice.

Did the judges know something we didn't about Andy's persona? Norm really seem to imply that they knew her voice was just part of a character she was doing.

No, I doubt it. Norm has probably just been around enough comics in his life to know that what we were seeing was probably just her doing a character and not really her.

Also -- my own opinion -- to do a lot of offbeat jokes like hers, it helps to deliver them as a wacky character like Emo. It's harder for the audience to buy them coming from someone who appears normal.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 1

Its just hard for me to say I like or dislike any of these comics.

All seem to have stuff I like and didn't like.

I was most surprised about Gregg Warren. I have heard him many times before and in general, he isn't my favorite comic. I thought his set was pretty strong tonight though, he surprised me

I would have to vote no overall on Andy. I get the comparison to Maria Bramford in their voice especially but I thin Maria is more creative in her set up and imagination of the jokes.

I don't listen to stand ups for jokes a 5 year old could tell me, so "It was clogged" gets a big groan from me. I liked the trailer park joke though.

I still love Anthony as host.

'My favorite was the joke about the comedian's grandfather killing his other gradnfather, and the Japanese not liking it because the math/science doesn't make sense.

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 1

You see, I hated the grandfather joke...well, not the joke but the stuff afterward. Lots of people had kifd and then went to die in a war. There is nothing mathematically wrong with the joke.

I guess that is true.  Still think it could be a funny joke if its tweaked a bit though to account for that.