Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: Matthew; Olivia

• Start Topic

A full-blown addict is confronted by his family, who worry that his habit of huffing 10 cans of computer duster a day is going to kill him sooner rather than later. Also: A woman who was repeatedly molested by a relative at age 11 masks her emotional pain by injecting a dangerous combination of heroin and meth.
A full-blown addict is confronted by his family, who worry that his habit of huffing 10 cans of computer duster a day is going to kill him sooner rather than later.

Does this mean we get a male version of Walking on Sunshine??  

• Love 3

If the previews are any indication, we may get much, much more than that.

He looks possessed in the preview! In one clip, he's passed out in bed with about 1000 empty cans of duster scattered around the room. I can't wait! Lol

• Love 2

Matthew might be the creepiest dude I've ever seen on this show. I wish they got into his backstory more. He huffed since... his parents fought sometimes?

His Intervention also ticked me off. "No."

• Love 3

Matthew might be the creepiest dude I've ever seen on this show. I wish they got into his backstory more. He huffed since... his parents fought sometimes?

His Intervention also ticked me off. "No."

Agreed. And his aunt needed to kick him out; he was downright scary when he was high. I'd be worried for my safety.

I think Matt could have filled his own episode. He was 22 and his son's mother had two other kids that were CPS cases? And there may have been abuse in his family, but that wasn't clear ... I feel like there was a lot left out.

• Love 1

Clearly Olivia's family didn't try God hard enough. /eyes rolling forever

I was wondering about this. Like did the family become super religious before or after her mother got pregnant at 15? I think there is a religious thing about 15 year olds not getting pregnant, but I'm not entirely sure. I did for the first and only time cry at the end of Olivia's piece, maybe because the grandmother died...not sure. But I've never cared enough to cry.

I wanted to know more about the mother of Matt's kid. What's her deal? With 2 CPS cases against her already she must have a super exciting and interesting life!

• Love 2

Matt -- WOW...just WOW!  Rarely does this show leave me speechless.  This, is one of those times.

(Although the billion empty cans of empty duster was a complete waste of an opportunity:  Use that as a nice crossover opportunity to restart Hoarders.)

• Love 4

Matt is creepy as hell high on duster. And not high on duster

I kind of got the feeling that he will snap and go on homicidal rampage...(I hope not). Even his update weirded me out. 

I think there is some undiagnosed mental illness going on with him

Hope Olivia can say sober, I was sorry to see her Gma died. :-(

• Love 1

Did they enhance his Satan voice?  One minute he was the demonic voice - then speaking normal to hiding aunt who had phone he wanted.  Those cans piled in the room used by someone who earned no money - gee - wonder how he managed that?  Oh that's right - someone gave him $40 dollars a day - and a phone - and a place to do the duster.  What is wrong with people?

• Love 1

The Satan voice was uncanny, and creepy. I guess he learned how to do that and rolled it out as his party trick.

I wonder if he has brain damage. His affect post-duster was extremely flat, almost robotic.

I pay attention to the religions, as I have seen the damage some of them have done to some of my family members. They commented that Olivia had a church deacon and elder in her family, so that made me assume fundamentalist. I wonder why her abuser got off scott-free? Did the family want to hide the second go-round of abuse, or feel pressure to let a powerful church member go free?

Loved Candy's side-eye at Drama Mama.

• Love 2

Matthew really should have had his own episode.  He was frightening.  Way scarier than our previous exposure to duster huffers (Allison certainly was messed up but wow not satan scary like this guy).  I'm amazed he didn't kill himself (or somebody else, like his aunt).

• Love 3

OMG why am I watching this? Matt and his duster cans are going to give me nightmares ... I really think Aunt Laurie needs to change the locks the next time he goes to the computer store.

When we saw him in the computer store, I wondered why he didn't have a Costco membership. At Costco he would only need to go every other day instead of every day! Think of the money he would save!!!!

And that is why I'm a horrible person.

• Love 9

I wonder if he has brain damage. His affect post-duster was extremely flat, almost robotic.

Really. No offense to Jeff, but this guy came off less than 'not feeling his feelings' than just having gone thru a lobotomy. Or the latest victim of the Body Snatchers.

• Love 4

That Satanic voice was deliberately altered to make him sound that way.  I watched this show using closed captioning, and every time Matthew spoke in that weird voice, the closed captioning had the word "distorted."   above the words he was saying. When he would talk normally, there was no such clarification, just his actual words were shown.

Edited by Dittohead

Is it crazy that there is a can of duster on my desk at work that I am terrified to touch because I don't want to accidentally inhale it? I'm an adult, I realize how addictions work, but I do not want to have any part of that duster!!! I would rather disassemble my keyboard completely than even look at that can.  

• Love 5

When we saw him in the computer store, I wondered why he didn't have a Costco membership. At Costco he would only need to go every other day instead of every day! Think of the money he would save!!!!

And that is why I'm a horrible person.

You and me both. I wondered why he didn't buy in bulk by mail. Hundreds of cans in one swoop!

• Love 1

I'm wondering if his behavior was so bad at the rehab facility that they resorted to chemical restraints. Reminded me of people I've seen on heavy doses of anti-psychotics.

I have some small knowledge of rehab, and I've never heard of any kind of restraint - physical or chemical - being used at one. Rehab places aren't medical facilities. That's why we see the addicts first going to detox, then to a different place for rehab.

For chemical restraints, you'd need a diagnosis, a monitoring physician, and either permission from a competent adult (I don't think he'd qualify) or someone legally assuming his care.

That Satanic voice was deliberately altered to make him sound that way.  I watched this show using closed captioning, and every time Matthew spoke in that weird voice, the closed captioning had the word "distorted."   above the words he was saying. When he would talk normally, there was no such clarification, just his actual words were shown.

I took that to mean he was deliberately distorting his voice, not that it was being done digitally. I think it was induced by the chemicals - it was always at its lowest immediately after he pulled the nozzle away from his mouth, then quickly went back up in pitch.

Someone posted on another discussion board that he'd known huffers and seen that effect in action.

I wish they'd stop time-shifting these episodes. I've now got the Tivo set to record an extra two minutes, and I STILL miss the last BSOD.

• Love 2

Is it crazy that there is a can of duster on my desk at work that I am terrified to touch because I don't want to accidentally inhale it? I'm an adult, I realize how addictions work, but I do not want to have any part of that duster!!! I would rather disassemble my keyboard completely than even look at that can.  

An update: It is nearly 8 months later and the can of duster is still untouched on the same location of my desk. Maybe I'm a hoarder?? ;)

• Love 1

Slowly catching up on these old episodes, and I wish DirecTV Now had them in some kind of order.

On 7/27/2015 at 1:55 AM, AuntTora said:

Clearly Olivia's family didn't try God hard enough. /eyes rolling forever

I'm an atheist, and I still try to be respectful of people for whom religion is a big part of their lives, but after she got molested by the chaplain, who wasn't prosecuted because of course he wasn't, I'd maybe back away from blind faith for a while.  But if it's helping with her sobriety, more power to her.  I've always found the religious aspects of AA very offputting, but I'm displaying my own bias.

"People think we're more like sisters!" You're not Lorelai Gilmore and your daughter needs a mother, 16 And Pregnant.

• Love 1