Type keyword(s) to search

Chicago PD in the Media

Chas411
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Exactly. And what brought the cops? I can't remember if she said. Another Bunny- like parent, perhaps? No thank you. 

Her dad owned a restaurant-Greek maybe?  She worked the register as a kid. And it was robbed--they hurt her dad, but he didn't die or anything. Platt was the responding officer to the call and stayed with her at the hospital I think?  I don't know if we heard about her mom.  

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Upton does have tragedy in her background though, so they can easily go there.  Remember when she told Platt that they had met before when Upton was a child, and Platt inspired her to become a cop? Yeah... great... nice story, but more tragic childhoods...

Unless perhaps they show that you can have a tragedy in your past and not let it interfere with your work & send you on a drug/alcohol bender when things go wrong or make you pistol whip offenders in custody. That might be interesting.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, thebestcasey said:

Her dad owned a restaurant-Greek maybe?  She worked the register as a kid. And it was robbed--they hurt her dad, but he didn't die or anything. Platt was the responding officer to the call and stayed with her at the hospital I think?  I don't know if we heard about her mom.  

Thanks, that's right.  So that's not that bad, and maybe a one time thing that we'll never see repercussions from. 

4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Thanks, that's right.  So that's not that bad, and maybe a one time thing that we'll never see repercussions from. 

Frankly I don't care at all about Upton's past. Maybe I will later, but I'm still much more interested in learning more about the existing characters that I'm already invested in. Characters that have always taken a backseat.

Voight and Lindsay (and to a certain extent, Halstead, though that was really only his relationship) have always received the most focus. I was fine with that, because to me, they were the leads. Yes, it's an ensemble show, but they ALL have a few people who take on more "main" roles. That's just how it goes... I know some people are really happy to lose Lindsay (I am not one of them, OBVIOUSLY). At this point I'm trying to be optimistic that some of the emphasis on her and her history will shift to some of the others.

I guess that's my biggest concern -- this show CLEARLY struggles to balance stories for all of their characters; adding another body is going to make it that much harder. So yeah, let the other characters share more of the spotlight. But remember who has been around longer and take that into consideration. To me, Upton should fall to the bottom of the totem pole...

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, quesera1 said:

I guess that's my biggest concern -- this show CLEARLY struggles to balance stories for all of their characters; adding another body is going to make it that much harder. So yeah, let the other characters share more of the spotlight. But remember who has been around longer and take that into consideration. To me, Upton should fall to the bottom of the totem pole...

Since Upton is replacing Lindsay (or rather Spiridakos is replacing Bush) I'm not sure that will happen. Since Lindsay was a strong female character and they're short on females anyway and Upton is close to a Lindsay 2.0, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed her to fill the void which was left.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Since Upton is replacing Lindsay (or rather Spiridakos is replacing Bush) I'm not sure that will happen. Since Lindsay was a strong female character and they're short on females anyway and Upton is close to a Lindsay 2.0, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed her to fill the void which was left.

I hope that's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised either...

I've grown to love Burgess (I'm currently re-watching the show and I had forgotten how much I liked her), so I'd prefer to see more of her. We've watched her grow and seen her prove herself; if she gets cast aside for Upton it would feel like a waste of four years of development for that character. I know Upton has technically been on the force longer, but she's still new to the team. If there's one thing Voight values it's their close "family" bond.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, quesera1 said:

I've grown to love Burgess (I'm currently re-watching the show and I had forgotten how much I liked her), so I'd prefer to see more of her. We've watched her grow and seen her prove herself; if she gets cast aside for Upton it would feel like a waste of four years of development for that character. I know Upton has technically been on the force longer, but she's still new to the team. If there's one thing Voight values it's their close "family" bond.

Since Squerciati gave birth only a couple of months ago, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened either. But if that is the case, I would think that it would be because Squerciati wanted to work less.

1 hour ago, quesera1 said:

Sorry, but here is where I will respectfully disagree.  I still think Burgess is pretty awful.  I think it's this season that she can finally grow and prove herself by not making such stupid decisions.  In other words, I hope that the tragedy with her sister finally makes Burgess become a mature adult.  She's only shown glimpses of that in the past to me, which are still greatly overshadowed by her numerous dumb decisions.  All just my opinion, of course.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, quesera1 said:

Frankly I don't care at all about Upton's past. Maybe I will later, but I'm still much more interested in learning more about the existing characters that I'm already invested in. Characters that have always taken a backseat.

Voight and Lindsay (and to a certain extent, Halstead, though that was really only his relationship) have always received the most focus. I was fine with that, because to me, they were the leads. Yes, it's an ensemble show, but they ALL have a few people who take on more "main" roles. That's just how it goes... I know some people are really happy to lose Lindsay (I am not one of them, OBVIOUSLY). At this point I'm trying to be optimistic that some of the emphasis on her and her history will shift to some of the others.

You do understand that antonio and voight have their history right and that Antonio was also one of the leads? The entire season 1 was based around their relationship? why do people keep forgetting about antonio?

• Love 1

I'd say the first few episodes of season one focused around Voight/Antonio before Halstead took the role of moral compass to Voights rule breaker. I think the plan was to have more of Antonio Vs Voight but Halstead especially given his relationship with Erin became the more obvious fit.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Elliebab said:

You do understand that antonio and voight have their history right and that Antonio was also one of the leads? The entire season 1 was based around their relationship? why do people keep forgetting about antonio?

Because he left the show. Out of sight, out of mind. Now that he's back, we can focus on him again. 

Plus, Antonio really took a back seat in the season and a half or so before he left. His biggest story then was a short romance with Sylvie from Fire. That was very easily forgettable. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Because he left the show. Out of sight, out of mind. Now that he's back, we can focus on him again. 

Plus, Antonio really took a back seat in the season and a half or so before he left. His biggest story then was a short romance with Sylvie from Fire. That was very easily forgettable. 

Let's hope they follow the out of mind, out of sight rule this time too. - Like they seem to do whenever someone leaves or is not around - Jules, Antonio, Ruzek, Burgess, Mouse, the horrible one that went to San Diego, Nadia, Justin etc

14 hours ago, Elliebab said:

Because the writers forgot about him.

Once that conflict between them was resolved in season 1 a lot of the focus shifted from Antonio. Which is a shame because he's a fantastic character. Hopefully Jon Seda's return will mean more stories for him.

15 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Sorry, but here is where I will respectfully disagree.  I still think Burgess is pretty awful.  I think it's this season that she can finally grow and prove herself by not making such stupid decisions.  In other words, I hope that the tragedy with her sister finally makes Burgess become a mature adult.  She's only shown glimpses of that in the past to me, which are still greatly overshadowed by her numerous dumb decisions.  All just my opinion, of course.

It's funny because I had been thinking that myself until recently as well. But I've been re-watching the show and I've started to really like her character. True, she does have a lot to prove still, but she's really come a long way. She definitely makes some stupid decisions, I'm with you there! But in terms of her capabilities as a cop she's grown so much. I guess I like that she can be sunny and positive while dealing with so many horrible cases. It's refreshing that she's not all gloomy like most of the others.

But everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I absolutely respect your POV too! :)

36 minutes ago, quesera1 said:

I don’t think it will have any effect at all? Seriously? Can i curse in here? Because i have a few words in mind to describe him. Yes im a huge fan of Sophia so I'm a bit biased but she was one of the most famous actors (if not the most, especially in the younger generation which is always the segment they care about the most) and she brought in many viewers. Plus, she promoted the show hardcore so yeah after months of silence THIS is what they have to say? I'm so not going to support this show anymore (yes i'm a bit melodramatic)

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

I don’t think it will have any effect at all? Seriously? Can i curse in here? Because i have a few words in mind to describe him. Yes im a huge fan of Sophia so I'm a bit biased but she was one of the most famous actors (if not the most, especially in the younger generation which is always the segment they care about the most) and she brought in many viewers. Plus, she promoted the show hardcore so yeah after months of silence THIS is what they have to say? I'm so not going to support this show anymore (yes i'm a bit melodramatic)

I'm absolutely with you. This came across as the most disrespectful and dismissive interview EVER. I'd like to hope he was asked this question in passing and gave a quick answer. But I think this just confirms that there's some bad blood. Which is such a shame.

For me she was certainly the biggest "name" -- I hadn't heard of any of the others prior to the show, but I was a One Tree Hill fan, so that's really the only reason I knew of Sophia.

After waiting for months for someone to say something, this feels like a slap in the face. Somehow this makes the whole situation WORSE.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, quesera1 said:

I'm absolutely with you. This came across as the most disrespectful and dismissive interview EVER. I'd like to hope he was asked this question in passing and gave a quick answer. But I think this just confirms that there's some bad blood. Which is such a shame.

For me she was certainly the biggest "name" -- I hadn't heard of any of the others prior to the show, but I was a One Tree Hill fan, so that's really the only reason I knew of Sophia.

After waiting for months for someone to say something, this feels like a slap in the face. Somehow this makes the whole situation WORSE.

I just honestly can't believe that such an experienced producer could ever be so rude to one of his actresses. He could have said the usual "sorry to see her go, but we believe in our show and our cast and we will move forward". I mean, when roman left they seemed much more emotional and i doubt a relatively minor character's departure could ever be more significant than your leading lady's departure.

• Love 4

Wolf has always "shot from the hip". I think - having had so many shows - he likely meant that the "show would go on". I mean, it's a procedural. And his various L&O shows, all 3, did go on with numerous cast changes.

I think Wolf is basically saying the same thing here.

• Love 1

Well I had never heard of Sophia Bush before I started watching this show and I am more excited for season 5 than was for season 3 & 4 that's for sure. 

The show will go on, and in my opinion probably improve because the rest of the cast are hard working, talented and deserve just as much of a chance & storyline as the 'social media darling', it would be just as disrespectful for wolf to come out and say the show will be no good now that one person left a show because they all work and give up just as much as everyone else. Maybe it will get back to the ensemble feel of season 1 & 2, when the show was at it best and before it become Lindsay PD and her never-ending angst.

I definetly don't agree with the above level of disdain for either the character or especially the actress however I do agree that the show must go on and I guess that's what Wolf is trying to say.

Its very obvious between the gag order and the silence from Bush that this has not been a friendly exit at all whether it stems from the network or the showrunners. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Wolf has always "shot from the hip". I think - having had so many shows - he likely meant that the "show would go on". I mean, it's a procedural. And his various L&O shows, all 3, did go on with numerous cast changes.

I think Wolf is basically saying the same thing here.

4 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I definetly don't agree with the above level of disdain for either the character or especially the actress however I do agree that the show must go on and I guess that's what Wolf is trying to say.

Its very obvious between the gag order and the silence from Bush that this has not been a friendly exit at all whether it stems from the network or the showrunners. 

I agree that that's probably what he was trying to say (I don't really know anything about Dick Wolf other than he must be super rich because of all the successful shows he has made). But it came across as disrespecting their female lead. There would certainly have been a better way to word things, while still standing by his show.

"Sophia is leaving, and we will miss her. But we're looking forward to the new season and the exciting opportunities it will bring." Easy. I swear my company has issued memos about people that have been fired that sounded more respectful. 

• Love 4

She seems quite nice and at least is respectful when asked about Bush but despite her claims of the contrary the interview doesn't give me much hope that she'll be much more then replacing where Lindsay left off. Right down to the partnership with Jay and coy, oh no sparks yet but who knows down the line. They'll be together by the finale.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

She seems quite nice and at least is respectful when asked about Bush but despite her claims of the contrary the interview doesn't give me much hope that she'll be much more then replacing where Lindsay left off. Right down to the partnership with Jay and coy, oh no sparks yet but who knows down the line. They'll be together by the finale.

That prospect might hurt the show more than Bush leaving.

ETA: Why is it so hard for some (most) shows to respect their characters? Jay wanted to propose, he envisioned himself with her 20 years down the road. Leave the character alone and let him come to terms with what happened without throwing a new love interest at him. The show does not need it and it is disrespectful to fans and characters. Not to mention that there are a ton of other characters that can be explored and stories that can be told.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 6

See that's it - I don't think anyone else will be getting more development or screentime as a result of Bush leaving. All her screentime and development is just going to Upton instead.

• Love 4

He didn't have to praise Sophia or make the rest of the cast look mediocre and unimportant. I've never seen such a cold statement for an actor's departure and i'm sure it's not the first time producers are hella mad with an actor.

i hope they prove me wrong, but it was never Sophia's fault that the writers could only focus on her, that they kept dropping ALL of their side stories etc. Chicago fire is the same. Before it was Sophia, now another character is going to get the same treatment because that's what the writers know.

• Love 3

I am so feeling my age.  This is the same Dick Wolf that canned Chris Noth by causing Mike Logan act way out of character (COP POPS POL) twenty-two years ago.

I never thought I'd say this, but perhaps Wolf has been doing this for too long.  What was the last original DW idea?

17 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

I am so feeling my age.  This is the same Dick Wolf that canned Chris Noth by causing Mike Logan act way out of character (COP POPS POL) twenty-two years ago.

I thought Chris Noth left on his own from the Mothership? If he didn't, the hatchet seemed to be buried since he went to L&O: Criminal Intent...but then Logan left there after three seasons, so who knows?

With that said, Wolf has always played hardball with the casts of his shows. I think I recall hearing or reading that he threatened to kill off one or both of the leads on New York Undercover way back when around the time the leads were demanding raises.

15 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I thought Chris Noth left on his own from the Mothership? If he didn't, the hatchet seemed to be buried since he went to L&O: Criminal Intent...but then Logan left there after three seasons, so who knows?

With that said, Wolf has always played hardball with the casts of his shows. I think I recall hearing or reading that he threatened to kill off one or both of the leads on New York Undercover way back when around the time the leads were demanding raises.

Logan getting axed from the Mothership was not popular with fans.  The night season 6 premiered, I saw it (on the West Coast) in the hour following A&E's (formerly known as the Law & Order Channel) re-broadcast of the pilot.  Completely different cast, and eerie.  This was 1995.

Logan showed up a few years later in 1998, trying to work his way off Staten Island by glomming on to a murder case in Manhattan (spoiler: it didn't work), in a TV movie called Law & Order: Exiled, that Chris Noth wrote.  Logan was assigned to SI, but still lived in Manhattan.  Most (all?) of the then-contemporary cast appeared in it, including (sob) the much loved Profaci.

His run in Criminal Intent was 2005-2008, after a guest spot at the end of the previous season where we discovered he had finally moved to SI.  He and his partner of the year time-shared (hot-desked?) with the Goren/Eames team, meaning each group got to work the schedule of half a series.  We said goodbye to Logan at the end of that third year, when the character had had enough of the endemic corruption in the system and decided to quit (or retire, he had 25 years).

7 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

Logan getting axed from the Mothership was not popular with fans.  The night season 6 premiered, I saw it (on the West Coast) in the hour following A&E's (formerly known as the Law & Order Channel) re-broadcast of the pilot.  Completely different cast, and eerie.  This was 1995.

Logan showed up a few years later in 1998, trying to work his way off Staten Island by glomming on to a murder case in Manhattan (spoiler: it didn't work), in a TV movie called Law & Order: Exiled, that Chris Noth wrote.  Logan was assigned to SI, but still lived in Manhattan.  Most (all?) of the then-contemporary cast appeared in it, including (sob) the much loved Profaci.

His run in Criminal Intent was 2005-2008, after a guest spot at the end of the previous season where we discovered he had finally moved to SI.  He and his partner of the year time-shared (hot-desked?) with the Goren/Eames team, meaning each group got to work the schedule of half a series.  We said goodbye to Logan at the end of that third year, when the character had had enough of the endemic corruption in the system and decided to quit (or retire, he had 25 years).

Oh, I know all about Logan's history, etc. I was just wondering if his first exit was a voluntary one or if he was pushed out...

I don't really remember if Noth left voluntarily in 1995.  I think he didn't; back then all the actors were frustrated by the near blackout of any personal histories of their characters.  We got a very few crumbs here and there, but spouses, children, lovers, old friends, etc, were never part of the show, and off-duty drama did not overshadow on-duty work.

Or perhaps it was contracts - that was five years in.  I think it was more that Wolf wanted to keep changing up the cast.

To bring it back to the topic, at least Ms. Bush left on her own. And since Wolf does have a LOT of experience with cast turnover on his prior shows, it'll be interesting to see the new dynamic this show will have.

Up to use the bathroom and turned on the TV on USA. Just in time, too, apparently for the CPD fans here.

Looks like Chicago PD is finally entering syndication as there was just a commercial for it. It begins airing on USA on October 1st.

• Love 2

Chicago PD Season 5 Episodes (NBC Wed at 10:00 PM):

5x1 Sep 27, 2017   "Reform"  -  The district is in a state of change - Lindsay has moved to New York- and the CPD is under scrutiny about the corrupt nature of its institution. Under the watchful eye of the city, the team attempts to bust a gun deal that quickly turns dicey when innocent civilians and children get involved. Tension erupts when Chief Lugo brings in Denny Woods to review the shootout, and Halstead becomes a key player in the outcome of the case.

5x2 Oct 04, 2017  "Promise"  -  When a young Latina woman is brutally murdered, Intelligence suspects she may have been working as a drug mule. With Antonio leading the case, the team's investigation takes them into the grim world of meat processing, and the discovery that there may be a different motive behind her death.

5x3 Oct 11, 2017  "The Thing About Heroes"  -  After a van explodes during a Chicago street festival, a Muslim patrol officer Frank Toma goes missing and evidence quickly piles up pointing to his involvement. Burgess - who helped train Toma - is desperate to prove his innocence, even if that means going against her superiors.

5x4 Oct 18, 2017  "Snitch"

5x5 Oct 25, 2017  "Home"

Edited by VinceW
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

If anyone here is home now and gets the channel, Oxygen is also apparently showing syndicated Chicago PD episodes (besides USA).

Showings started at 6:00AM today and run until 3:00AM. Includes 11 Season 4 episodes in close sequence and then replays those same 11 over again starting at 5:00PM.

Edited by VinceW

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/chicago-p-d-season-5-anabelle-acosta-1202580779/

as as a fan of Acosta I'm glad to see her on PD. She was wasted on Ballers and more of an antagonist on Quantico but she still really stood out. Not sure if she'll be a love interest for her Jay but if she is I'm sure it'll be short lived as she's not a cop. I'd prefer it to the inevitable hook up they'll clearly go for with Upton and at least we'll also learn about his background.

honestly wasn't sure where to put this - on last leg of our honeymoon in Chicago and were wondering if there's any show related sites or tours anyone would recommend seeing? Very nerdy yes but I'm a shameless fan of the franchise for years :)

Lotties Pub is the inspiration for Molly's. I believe Chicago Fire filmed there in their early seasons. The UIC Police Headquarters is the exterior for the Chicago PD department. I think the Chicago Fired Department that is used on CF is on Blue Island Ave. I could be wrong though.

10 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Since we have wondered about her sudden exit, I thought the remark about the working environment was interesting. Made me wonder if it was based on the comments she made in that one interview or if Deadline has heard other things (through the grapevine).

17 hours ago, Chas411 said:

No idea - she seems on good terms with everyone in the case on social media. The only one I've no information on is Jason Beghe.

His name was ominously absent from the tweet that she sent out when Chicago PD resumed. I noticed that she had mentioned everyone, Koteas in a hashtag since he does not appear to have a twitter, and she even added an extra tweet for Hawkins (character limits). But no mentioning of Beghe. Maybe it doesn't mean anything and she simply forgot him when she created the list of names, but it's something that I noticed.