Type keyword(s) to search

Chicago PD in the Media

Chas411
  • Start Topic

This isn’t specific to PD but Sophia Bush’s new series Good Sam has been picked up to series by CBS.

Details here

Good Sam stars One Tree Hill and Chicago P.D.star Bush as a talented yet stifled surgeon, who embraces her leadership role after her renowned and pompous boss falls into a coma. When he awakens and wants to resume surgery, however, it falls to her to supervise this overbearing blowhard who never acknowledged her talents – and also happens to be her father.

• Love 1
(edited)

Chicago PD production assistants were making $500 a week, Sophia Bush claims

If they worked 40 hours, that breaks down to $12.50/hr. I really have no idea what the job involves, so I did a quick Google - seems that a PA is an entry-level job in the industry and requires no specific skills. Apparently PAs can be asked to do anything that needs doing, from running errands to helping set up a scene. 

Further Googling shows minimum wage in Illinois went up quite a bit during Bush's time on PD, from $8.25 in 2014 to $11 in 2017, so I guess this depends on which year they were earning the $500 in?

Apparently Bush thinks $500 a week was equal to dire poverty, because she's quoted in this article as saying the PAs "can't afford warm coats". 

I dunno, the article just struck me as kind of hilarious, with Bush painting herself as some kind of protector of the poor, telling off this man in his "$4 million house" as being greedy for wanting payment, yet she herself made hundreds of thousands per week. Maybe the show's budget could be more generous to the PAs if people such as herself were willing to work for less? 

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Apparently Bush thinks $500 a week was equal to dire poverty, because she's quoted in this article as saying the PAs "can't afford warm coats".

After taxes, health insurance, rent and other cost of living expenses, I can easily believe that. $500 a week does not go a long way in Chicago.

• Love 4
(edited)

I think in a lot of her podcasts Bush tends to go on rants about “what she said” to whoever was doing wrong at the time. I get the impression that there’s always a bit of exaggeration although I don’t agree she should be taking a paycut to ensure assistants are paid fairly. I’d say there’s a fat executive in an office somewhere doing a lot less than her who could take that paycut. 

She can be eye rolling to listen to and definetly exaggerates and changes facts to make whatever her point is for that story.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 1

I did NOT love Bunny as a character, but Markie did play her well.  I recently saw (again) the episode where Erin found out she lied about who her father was (Jimmy Sanguinetti).  The hurt and pain she put that poor girl/woman through.  😢. Why Erin and Voight saved her in the last episode of season 4 will forever be a mystery to me.  Her ass should have gone to jail!!!  IMO

• Love 6
On 7/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, SnarkySheep said:

But... it nearly is.  If the PA worked all 52 weeks of the year for $500 per week, he or she earned $26,000 per year.  The federal poverty level for a family of 4 is $26,200 per year.  So that PA couldn't be married with 2 kids without their spouse also working.  Then add in childcare costs because both parents are working, and you could be back to practically poverty level.  AND, this is assuming that PAs work all 52 weeks of a year - I doubt that they do.  The show isn't in production for at least 4-5 months in the late spring and summer. 

It doesn't sound like a glamorous job that's meant for the average middle aged person trying to support a family.  Maybe it's good for a college kid though.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:33 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

It doesn't sound like a glamorous job that's meant for the average middle aged person trying to support a family.  Maybe it's good for a college kid though.

Doesn't seem like it's really intended for any adult supporting a family - Bush herself referred to "kids" doing it. It's a go-fer type thing that doesn't require any skills. Probably some do it for college credit or just a foot into the TV world more than anything. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Guildford said:

Yay!!!!! So excited. Hopefully that's the end of the never-ending miserable doom & gloom Eid bought to this show & the obsession with his fave character. We might get some balance back.

I think one of the showrunners on Med is a female.

Hopefully things changes , but I think she is just as much obsessed with Upton and Upstead since she wrote the upstead centric episodes . 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Jaelyn96 said:

Hopefully things changes , but I think she is just as much obsessed with Upton and Upstead since she wrote the upstead centric episodes . 

I am hoping that she was just writing what she was told to write & now she's in charge we might move away from these centric episodes for starters. She's also written good episodes for other characters so there is hope.

Or I am being completely delusional

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Guildford said:

I am hoping that she was just writing what she was told to write & now she's in charge we might move away from these centric episodes for starters. She's also written good episodes for other characters so there is hope.

Or I am being completely delusional

Well hope there is a change in the centric episodes. But yeah lol that is all I see on Twitter is the upstead folks lol happy that the showrunner is an Upstead lover 

• Love 2

‘Chicago PD’: How Tracy Spiridakos Had to Prove Herself to Become a Series Regular

But surprisingly, when Tracy Spiridakos scored her part on the One Chicago franchise, she was only promised three episodes.

She had to work hard to win the hearts of Chicago PD fans before becoming a series regular.

“[The part] came through as an audition that my agents got for me,” she said. “I put myself on tape for the part. And it came through as a three-episode arc with the potential to stay. At the end of season four, as we were heading into five, they let me know that I’d be coming back.”

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Poor guy... he'll be used to prop up the Crimestead's while ignoring Kevin for the 10th season in a row & then disappear like the toddler cop did.

Good luck to him though. The Crimestead fans are already wigging out thinking one of their faves may have to talk to someone else on the show.

• LOL 2
11 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

THRILLED by this. I love the actor anyway and instantly adored the character. They desperately need someone new thrown into the mix. And they frankly need some more color too. His character intrigued me, so this should be really interesting. 

8 hours ago, Guildford said:

Poor guy... he'll be used to prop up the Crimestead's while ignoring Kevin for the 10th season in a row & then disappear like the toddler cop did.

Good luck to him though. The Crimestead fans are already wigging out thinking one of their faves may have to talk to someone else on the show.

Are they really?! 😆

One can only hope that's exactly what happens. Not that I won't really miss close up shots of those ugly black rubber wedding bands. I'll have to muster up the strength to go on.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Sweet-n-Snarky said:

THRILLED by this. I love the actor anyway and instantly adored the character. They desperately need someone new thrown into the mix. And they frankly need some more color too. His character intrigued me, so this should be really interesting. 

I hope the show will treat Dante Torres better than Vanessa Rojas.

Cannot wait to see who’s gonna be Dante’s partner - Kevin or JayNoBall. 🤨

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I hope the show will treat Dante Torres better than Vanessa Rojas.

Cannot wait to see who’s gonna be Dante’s partner - Kevin or JayNoBall. 🤨

It would make no sense to partner him up with Atwater seeing as his whole interaction was with Jay & him taking him under his wing. 

The big question for me if new guy gets foisted on Mopey Jay is what poor soul gets lumbered with Felony Barbie. 

I hope it's not Kim, poor girl has been traumatised enough.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2022 at 7:11 PM, Guildford said:

It would make no sense to partner him up with Atwater seeing as his whole interaction was with Jay & him taking him under his wing. 

The big question for me if new guy gets foisted on Mopey Jay is what poor soul gets lumbered with Felony Barbie. 

I hope it's not Kim, poor girl has been traumatised enough.

Pairing Barbie with Atwater would make her more tolerable.

On 8/25/2022 at 6:38 AM, mommalib said:

Pairing Barbie with Atwater would make her more tolerable.

Is that even possible at this point? Although it might get Kevin some more screentime, but then he'd just either be propping her up or covering up her crimes so it's a doubled edged sword really? Quite the conundrum 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

He's probably made a ton of money off of this show and no longer has to pretend to care about it.  I wonder how they are going to break up Jay and Hailey.  Will he make a mysterious goodbye phone call from a bridge looking out on the Chicago skyline as a shoutout to Erin?

Hailey is going to be even more insufferable without Jay. 

I think Jay leaving is a "jump the shark" moment. I can't be bothered to care about his replacement.  It is really hard to care about new characters on a show that has been on for 10 years.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

He's probably made a ton of money off of this show and no longer has to pretend to care about it.  I wonder how they are going to break up Jay and Hailey.  Will he make a mysterious goodbye phone call from a bridge looking out on the Chicago skyline as a shoutout to Erin?

Maybe they'll just kill him off (too dark)?

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

I wonder how they are going to break up Jay and Hailey. 

Death is the only way, IMO. Jay leaving or divorcing Hailey, majority of UpStead fans will be upset with this.

Saw several comments on Twitter saying that with Jay leaving, S10 will be the last season. Jay is NOT Voight, the show will be fine. Ugh. 🙄

• Love 2

For a minute I also considered the end of the show but the One Chicago verse is such a cash cow that I can’t imagine they’d end it just because Jay leaves. 

I do wonder how Upton would get on without Jay. I know the writers love her but I don’t think that translates to viewers. Her fanatics are essentially shipper fans of Upstead. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I wonder will they just have him and Upton leave together? Is he staying the full season?

From the articles it seems like he not going to be in the full season . I’m guessing it might be like Kelli and it has to do with contractual agreement . He probably didn’t sign a new contract and Just coming back to give a decent farewell. As for Upton and Jay , I hope Jay leaves by himself and just divorce her 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

*dancing and singing* another nbc ship bites the dust! 💃💃💃💃

but seriously though, how many of them have been sunk this past year because of 1 half leaving the show? i think it's 4 now (New Amsterdam's Sharpwin, One Chicago's Brettsey and Upstead, and last but certainly not least, SVU's Rollisi).

granted, they're all ships i don't care about/am actively against so 🥳🥳🥳🥳 but damn, ships are dropping like flies now.

Gordon Ramsay Wow GIF by FOX TV

just my stream of conciousness lol

Edited by agentp
add a gif
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Didn't Jay have an ex-wife he married while drunk or something? Based on that, I think he could realize that he did not think this marriage through and separate. Given that he was about to propose to Lindsey and it always felt like he chose Upton because Lindsey wasn't there anymore, I wouldn't buy a "she's the love of his life" argument. His relationship history also doesn't make him look like the most reliable guy when it comes to his love life. I think he leaves the writers with some options besides death. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I hope he and Hailey get in a fight and then Erin calls, needing help on her federal task force (or wherever she is) - so he realizes what huge mistakes he's made lately and goes.  Then they fake Jay's death as closure to the team where no one but Erin and Jay know he's really alive.  The team goes on, Lindstead lives happily ever after, and Jesse Soffer can move on to a decent new show where his talent is utilized and appreciated.  

The end. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Maybe with him leaving Burgess can get promoted / permanently assigned to intelligence.  Isn't she still technically a beat cop on loan to intelligence?

No, I think she's a full time officer with Intelligence, but what she isn't - and neither are Atwater or Ruzek - is a Detective.  With Jay leaving, I think that Hailey is the only licensed or certified (or whatever it is) Detective that's left with Voight.  Al, Antonio, Erin, and Jay all are/were.  Burgess got promoted to Intelligence from a beat cop when she got shot for the second time, but it's never been mentioned that any of them passed the Detective exam.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

No, I think she's a full time officer with Intelligence, but what she isn't - and neither are Atwater or Ruzek - is a Detective.  With Jay leaving, I think that Hailey is the only licensed or certified (or whatever it is) Detective that's left with Voight.  Al, Antonio, Erin, and Jay all are/were.  Burgess got promoted to Intelligence from a beat cop when she got shot for the second time, but it's never been mentioned that any of them passed the Detective exam.

correct. Eid was too focussed on shoving Felony Barbie into and onto everything that career development for Atwater, Burgess & Ruzek was completely forgotten. It was mentioned once that the exams were coming up & then nothing came of it.

I think they did use it when they were setting up Woods, making Adam pissed off with Voight because he told Atwater about the exam but excluded Ruzek deliberately to make it seem to woods that Ruzek would have a beef with him now. But like all things Eid did it petered out when he got distracted by some other shiny object (killing Al instead)

Edited by Guildford
47 minutes ago, Guildford said:

correct. Eid was too focussed on shoving Felony Barbie into and onto everything that career development for Atwater, Burgess & Ruzek was completely forgotten. It was mentioned once that the exams were coming up & then nothing came of it.

I think they did use it when they were setting up Woods, making Adam pissed off with Voight because he told Atwater about the exam but excluded Ruzek deliberately to make it seem to woods that Ruzek would have a beef with him now. But like all things Eid did it petered out when he got distracted by some other shiny object (killing Al instead)

Atwater also mentioned studying for them once, but I think that was a lie just to get the woman at the morgue to help him with a case.  It's mentioned here and there but no one ever follows up.

• Like 1

Upstead fans were triggered by Marina’s IG story, calling her fake, trying to steal the limelight from Jesse’s news etc.

Some were calling out Dick Wolf for letting go a decent actor and keeping Sophia Bush’s “abuser”. Err did I miss anything on Jason Beghe abusing Sophia on set??!

Dramahhh! 🤦🏻‍♀️

E83179D7-EDFF-46C7-8761-32023426E7D2.jpeg

Ha these ships seriously need to get a grip. I remember how haughty Upstead fans were about Lindstead fans when they were having a meltdown over Jay moving on so it’s kind of funny to see them knocked off the high horse.

Why are there rumours that he was pushed out? The guy looks bored out of his skull the last few seasons. He’s based in LA as far as I know so he’s probably sick of travelling back and forth for over half the year. He’s doing the show ten years now so his exit kind of makes sense to me. I’d fully expect to see some of the other non Chicago based actors following in the next few years.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Ha these ships seriously need to get a grip. I remember how haughty Upstead fans were about Lindstead fans when they were having a meltdown over Jay moving on so it’s kind of funny to see them knocked off the high horse.

Why are there rumours that he was pushed out? The guy looks bored out of his skull the last few seasons. He’s based in LA as far as I know so he’s probably sick of travelling back and forth for over half the year. He’s doing the show ten years now so his exit kind of makes sense to me. I’d fully expect to see some of the other non Chicago based actors following in the next few years.

I guess they put 2 & 2 together & got 3... they don't want to believe he might want to do something different because once he said he'd stay for as long as they want him. Like every actor says when asked.

I agree, he's looked like he's been phoning it in for the past few seasons and has been commented on here many times. 

If they were looking to cut costs, I'd assume Jesse, Paddy, Marina, LaRoyce would all be up there with regards to salaries so I guess it came down to who they thought still had an interesting story to tell.

I honestly think they wrote him into a corner with the non-sensical marriage. They can thank Eid for that, he was desperate to get his fave front and centre. But there was nowhere for him to go. Challenging Voight every second week would get old very quickly, it already was and as much as he is the villan I don't think the broader audience wants the other extreme either. The fact that he was a hypocrite didn't help either.

As far as his marriage is concerned the very fact they got married with little drama, with Jay just rolling over and accepting that his wife was a liar who covered up the murder & dumping of Roy's body and willingly committed a felony himself what else is there for this pairing? Angst over the colour of the paint in the bathroom?

As for their fans.... the karma bus hits hard.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Then I'd be concerned all three Chicago shows would get axed. PD and Fire require a LOT of location shoots with special effects. Expensive to produce.

They’re NBCs flagship cash cows. The ratings would need to be seriously declining for them to consider axing.

• Love 1