Type keyword(s) to search

Chicago PD in the Media

Chas411
  • Start Topic

I was very confused last night - where was the new episode!  Thankfully Jesse tweeted the last minute decision to air a repeat due to the World Series, but my DVR and program guide still described the new episode.  I was actually looking forward to Upton getting yelled at...

• Love 1

Sophia Bush hinted on Twitter that her leaving the show was due to sexual harassment and she said she plans to reveal all when she stops being so angry about it.

I really hope that NBC has gotten out in front of this by getting rid of the offender because if not, it will be really bad for not just this show but the whole Chicago franchise.

Tweets:

Im shocked news outlets didn’t pick up on this.

• Love 1

Well, if this is as cut and dried as it sounds, I wonder where Dick Wolf himself fits in here. The man has had a whole other franchise and it seems like this would be something Ms. Bush would take to him and/or NBC. Wolf would have had to have known of issues.

And if he didn't do anything...why?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, if this is as cut and dried as it sounds, I wonder where Dick Wolf himself fits in here. The man has had a whole other franchise and it seems like this would be something Ms. Bush would take to him and/or NBC. Wolf would have had to have known of issues.

Exactly.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

It seems that there is the possibility that Wolf might be planning to leave NBC. I read a while ago that he's involved in a new show but he's doing it on CBS. I thought it was interesting at the time and wondered if it had to do with what was going on at PD backstage but I thought that maybe he didn't like the decision to put Eid in charge of PD and maybe some other choices which had been made or that he didn't like the direction NBC wanted the shows to go in.  Now, I'm wondering if maybe it's something else.

As far as Bush is concerned, are these tweets about PD or One Tree Hill?

Edited by CheshireCat
27 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Hmm. This is a valid question. The show was never specified. And there was the whole matter of Bush marrying and divorcing a co-star and still having to work there. So really, who knows?

I thought that she was referring to One Tree Hill although it wouldn't shock me if PD fit in there also. Her silence has made it clear that there was BTS issues to do with her departure and wasn't there a piece in all the articles about her departure where they stayed it was a tough working environment for a female performer.

3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

It seems that there is the possibility that Wolf might be planning to leave NBC. I read a while ago that he's involved in a new show but he's doing it on CBS. I thought it was interesting at the time and wondered if it had to do with what was going on at PD backstage but I thought that maybe he didn't like the decision to put Eid in charge of PD and maybe some other choices which had been made or that he didn't like the direction NBC wanted the shows to go in.  Now, I'm wondering if maybe it's something else.

She never left One Tree Hill. She was on the show from beginning to end. Her tweets are definitely talking about a situation where one just up and leaves a show.

Edited by doLLish
1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

I thought that she was referring to One Tree Hill although it wouldn't shock me if PD fit in there also. Her silence has made it clear that there was BTS issues to do with her departure and wasn't there a piece in all the articles about her departure where they stayed it was a tough working environment for a female Performer.

Yes, there was.

TV Line interview with Soffer https://tvline.com/2017/11/15/chicago-pd-spoilers-season-5-episode-7-halstead-undercover-sophia-bush-exit/

The "we are all a big family" line is starting to ring pretty hollow. I actually had to laugh when I read it.

Am I reading the last answer correctly; Bush's exit came as a surprise and rather suddenly? (Not that that would surprise me given how thrown together her departure seemed).

1 minute ago, doLLish said:

She never left One Tree Hill. She was on the show from beginning to end.

But her tweet is pretty general. It could be a hint about her exit or simply about everything that is coming out right now.

She has hinted at a condescending attitude by one co-star already, and there was the mentioning of PD not being a female friendly environment. But many of her tweets were about One Tree Hill lately because someone had come forward.

8 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

It seems to me like she already spoke out about OTH - her name was the first on that open letter.  If she's still too angry to talk about something, my guess is that's PD.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Yes, there was.

TV Line interview with Soffer https://tvline.com/2017/11/15/chicago-pd-spoilers-season-5-episode-7-halstead-undercover-sophia-bush-exit/

The "we are all a big family" line is starting to ring pretty hollow. I actually had to laugh when I read it.

Am I reading the last answer correctly; Bush's exit came as a surprise and rather suddenly? (Not that that would surprise me given how thrown together her departure seemed).

But her tweet is pretty general. It could be a hint about her exit or simply about everything that is coming out right now.

She has hinted at a condescending attitude by one co-star already, and there was the mentioning of PD not being a female friendly environment. But many of her tweets were about One Tree Hill lately because someone had come forward.

Ok i read the interview and I was so confused. I just binge watched the first episodes and maybe i didnt pay enough attention...but when did we actually see Halstead struggling? Is he watching a different show?

41 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Ok i read the interview and I was so confused. I just binge watched the first episodes and maybe i didnt pay enough attention...but when did we actually see Halstead struggling? Is he watching a different show?

The nightmare at the beginning of last night's show was the first I've seen.  But also, why was he "taking a nap" at 7:30 am?

Well, the creator/producer of E!'s The Royals was just suspended and it said he worked prior at One Tree Hill. Also in the article is a mention about Sophia Bush backing prior abuse claims on the OTH set under this guy.

So maybe her tweet was about either show - or both.

Yikes. He must have one hell of an anger management/aggressive behavior problem.  I wonder how he has gotten away with this kind of behavior for the last 30 years, or if this is a problem that has only started relatively recently. 

In recent months, star Sophia Bush left the show and at least one other actress and a crew member seemingly have been written out of P.D. or reassigned to another Wolf production.

Who is the other actress?  Marina and Amy are still there, yet we've barely seen Amy - could it be her?  I can't think of another female actress, actually... that's sad.  Very male dominated.  (Tracy wasn't there in previous seasons, so she doesn't count, IMO.)

37 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Who is the other actress?  Marina and Amy are still there, yet we've barely seen Amy - could it be her?  I can't think of another female actress, actually... that's sad.  Very male dominated.  (Tracy wasn't there in previous seasons, so she doesn't count, IMO.)

I had just finished my reply that I was wondering the same thing and that the charatcer Julia died in the premiere and Burgess' female partner didn't seem to have been planned long-term. Then I remembered Nadia/Stella Maeve. She may not have been interacting with Beghe a lot but she spent more time with him than either of the other two actresses.

55 minutes ago, No 2 in our Hearts said:

Is Beghe that big of a draw? It’s not like he’s Spader on The Blacklist or anything. I would ditch his ass and keep Sophia Bush in a heartbeat.

Yeah, reading the article I wondered why Bush had to make the descision to leave but Beghe is still there and wasn't even suspended. It's wrong. If Bush said (something along the lines of) either him or me, they should have said her. Because he is the culprit.

As much as I hated to see Bush leave, good for her that she did. Bad for NBC that he's still there. Still wondering if Dick Wolf making a doing a show for CBS has something to do with NBC's handling of the situation.

• Love 1

I heard about this and I'm not shocked at all, I've thought that Beghe was probably the reason for Sophia Bush's exit for a while ever since she complained about a male costar and the report about the set being difficult, I think most people thought the same, I've been waiting for this to be confirmed so it's no surprise. I'm wondering if this will be the end of Beghe/Voight, I think a lot of fans would be happy if it did, Voight has totally gone off the deep end this season and is becoming more and more unlikable and hard to root for and it seems Beghe has gone too far in real life, I wonder if playing the always angry and violent Voight has rubbed off on Beghe or if he's always been difficult and that's why he's good at playing Voight. 

• Love 1

Her costars though, like Marina who is also her close friend, seem to get on with him though which surprises me if she left due to him being abusive or hostile. 

Getting rid of Voight I think would be the end of the show. I know he's gone off the rails this season but he and Bush were the draws to the show. With both gone I don't see the numbers holding up. They're not even holding up that well without Bush. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Her costars though, like Marina who is also her close friend, seem to get on with him though which surprises me if she left due to him being abusive or hostile. 

Just because she's staying doesn't mean that she gets along with him. That said, her scenes with Beghe are significantly fewer than Bush's were. Voight and Lindsay had a personal relationship, so in addition to all the scenes in the precinct, they also had those and Voight partnered with Lindsay, too. Squerciati not only spent three seasons as a patrol officer, she also didn't have that many scenes with Beghe. I stopped watching last spring but looking back, Voight either stayed in the precinct or partnered with men for most of season 4.

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I heard about this and I'm not shocked at all, I've thought that Beghe was probably the reason for Sophia Bush's exit for a while ever since she complained about a male costar and the report about the set being difficult, I think most people thought the same, I've been waiting for this to be confirmed so it's no surprise.

I hadn't heard about Beghe having anger issues and I was puzzled as to who it might have been until the S5 premiere and Bush's tweet. She acknowledged everyone but Beghe. She even mentioned the Spiridakos. I found that pretty telling.

1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I'm wondering if this will be the end of Beghe/Voight,

I think if it had been the end of him, he'd be gone and not Bush/Lindsay. From what I understand, he now has a coach for his anger issues and that's that.

• Love 1

I think Bush wanted to leave anyway so it would have made NBCs decision on who to choose easier if it came down to that.

If this had just come to light in the past few weeks then I've no doubt he'd have been sacked instantly. The fact that it happened last year and was dealt with by not actually doing much other then getting him counselling shows the unjustness of it all. Really can't blame Bush for wanting out of the show and NBC.

9 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I had just finished my reply that I was wondering the same thing and that the charatcer Julia died in the premiere and Burgess' female partner didn't seem to have been planned long-term. Then I remembered Nadia/Stella Maeve. She may not have been interacting with Beghe a lot but she spent more time with him than either of the other two actresses.

I thought of Stella Maeve as well, but it said "in recent months."  Nadia was killed off years ago.  I'm almost thinking that it's Amy Morton... Sgt. Platt has been missing for most of this season, and she might not be back?

I'm not sure they've been known not to utilise characters on the show - LaRoyce would go missing from episodes at a time. Maybe it's just Amy's turn now that there's no patrol. If it is due to issues with Beghe it's absolute suicide for the show and NBC to punish the women instead of him. If that comes out they'll be anhilated. 

• Love 2

If it’s anger issues and not sexism, then not only the female actors are involved. Seda’s role as Antonio, for example, certainly was diminished long before he left for Justice’s short existence. I do think the Voight character has been the core of this show from day one; not sure that the rest of the cast is strong enough to carry it or to keep my interest in it without him. And omg the writing sucks so far this season, so there’s that too.

9 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

If it’s anger issues and not sexism, then not only the female actors are involved.

The Deadline article states that he is accused to have used "highly aggressive and sexually suggestive language consistently as well as intimidating postures and more".

Bush said in her Politico interview that he put a hand over his mouth when she made a suggestion he didn't like (well, she said male co-star but I guess, it was him). Depending on how that is done, that can be inappropriate touching.

4 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

The Deadline article states that he is accused to have used "highly aggressive and sexually suggestive language consistently as well as intimidating postures and more".

Bush said in her Politico interview that he put a hand over his mouth when she made a suggestion he didn't like (well, she said male co-star but I guess, it was him). Depending on how that is done, that can be inappropriate touching.

Believe me, if Sophia Bush walked past me I would jump to my feet and applaud her. So proud of her for not putting up with shit right away. Anyway, here is the article in my local paper this week that prompted my post: https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-chicago-pd-star-investigated-for-anger-issues-20171122-story,amp.html

Most interesting that “sexually suggestive” is not discussed in this old school media article. Show is trying to steer the story away from that and keep his behavior strictly in the “anger” column. Hence my feeling, if Show is being honest (hah!), that Beghe’s male costars and everyone else must have felt his wrath too. 

I wonder if Amy Morton has spoken out about this.

8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Wasn't that Kevin Spacey's excuse? May or may not refer to PD.  

Since it was part of tweets that addressed both shows she worked in and Jason Beghe is undergoing anger management treatment I doubt that it was about Kevin Spacey.

17 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Interesting.  And it clearly had nothing to do with Jesse, because they were still together between seasons 3 and 4.  But I wonder if her leaving the show is also what broke them up.

I don't think her leaving would have broken them up but it's very possible that he wasn't supportive. It sounds like the talk with her bosses was an eye-opener for her and that it would have empowered her to say "fine, let's call it quits then" if he dismissed the issue and/or didn't view it as serious.

She said she knew after season two she couldn't stay unless things changed (I wish we knew what exactly). It's possible Jesse wasn't supportive but then again who knows . I feel they'd have finished regardless and like her previous relationships she'd have kept working with him. They were always off and on. Never went public etc. I know privacy may play a big part in that but they were supposedly involved for years so I always thought it weird neither confirmed it. Rumour has it he's dating Torrey Devitto now.

I always felt her issues might be Moreso around Jason Beghe and the fact that NBC execs might have been sexist. Just the thing s she's said so far.. Given the fact that the cast seem to regular post pictures with him maybe they don't feel the same. 

Either way the combination of the new showrunners and loss of her means the show has gone to crap. The showrunners are awful so most likely would have happened regardless.

On 11/16/2017 at 5:00 AM, doLLish said:

She never left One Tree Hill. She was on the show from beginning to end.

And yet, she and many other females associated with that show have recently come forward to address how horrible it supposedly was there. That may certainly be the case...but if so, why didn't Sophia (or anyone else) step forward at the time to say something and/or leave? IMO it takes a lot of credibility away from your claims when you're still willing to stick around for your fame and money. OTH made Sophia Bush who she is today, and I'm sure she was well aware of it. She's always going on and on about feminism, standing up for what's right, etc etc....but only from a distance when it can't hurt her. While I certainly don't wish anyone unfavorable working conditions, I'm sick of pampered celebrities feeling "stifled" (as SB actually says in some articles) by TV or movie environments. If that's how they really feel, let them try taking a regular job in a store or an office for a tiny fraction of what they're used to making...then they'll truly know what "stifled" means.

• Love 2

Is that not the whole point though? Back then no woman felt they could come forward because they wouldn't have been taken seriously. They'd be out of a job, career and bad reputation. The men held all the power. Now that it seems to be changing she put her feelings out there with NBC, got ignored and ended up leaving her hit show anyway. She's older and more well known now so obviously she didn't care but I can see why in her 20s it seemed like a big risk.

It can be seen as weak not to come forward I get that but I also get why women felt they couldn't.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 6

The Hollywood culture of male dominance prevented these women from speaking out before.  Mira Sorvino is proof; Weinstein admitted to ruining her career.  Just look at the backlash they are still getting now; clearly they are/were all in no-win situations.  They'd have been damned if they did speak out, and now they're damned that they have spoken out.  Which is it??

• Love 4
20 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

And yet, she and many other females associated with that show have recently come forward to address how horrible it supposedly was there. That may certainly be the case...but if so, why didn't Sophia (or anyone else) step forward at the time to say something and/or leave? IMO it takes a lot of credibility away from your claims when you're still willing to stick around for your fame and money. OTH made Sophia Bush who she is today, and I'm sure she was well aware of it. She's always going on and on about feminism, standing up for what's right, etc etc....but only from a distance when it can't hurt her. While I certainly don't wish anyone unfavorable working conditions, I'm sick of pampered celebrities feeling "stifled" (as SB actually says in some articles) by TV or movie environments. If that's how they really feel, let them try taking a regular job in a store or an office for a tiny fraction of what they're used to making...then they'll truly know what "stifled" means.

Bush wasn't the only one who stayed for a long time. Hillary Burton didn't leave before her 7-season-contract was up either and she was one who was directly affected. But their job is still their job and many don't do it for the fame but because it is their passion. Sure, they could have gotten out of the business and taken another job but would you ask that of a job that brings less fame and money and that one spends years going to university for? Your profession and passion is your profession and passion, no matter how well it is paid and how much fame it brings you. And giving it up is never easy. I imagine it is even more difficult when the abused is supposed to sacrifice their entire career and take on a job they don't want just so that the abuser can keep abusing. This is not how it should be.

That said, you're talking about a decision she made as a 21 year-old who just landed her first big job in a cut-throat business. How many 21-year-olds are making smart/right decisions at that age and in the position she was in?

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 1

I hear what you're saying. But IMO a lot of the current problems that Hollywood is revealing are because those involved were too into the glitter of fame and money to step away. None of us know Sophia Bush personally, so we can't say for certain why she did what she did. We also don't know what the "abuse" actually is, because it was never really specified - and like anything else, what is considered "harassment" to one is not to another. So there is a lot of room for speculation, which is my point, not just everyone gushing about how brave and wonderful SB is without knowing or probably even really considering what really did or didn't happen.

IMO none of these people deserve the huge money they are earning - they are making many, many times what the rest of us do, and for what? Like you said, most of them are there because it's their passion. It's not right, but we as a society enable them, so it's really us to blame, not them. We should hold Hollywood to the same kinds of salaries as everyone else, and then perhaps we might see some changes.

Edited by SnarkySheep

What does money have to do with anything?  Why is this about money?  

It's about female oppression.  They simply could not speak out before because men wouldn't let them.  And it's the same in any industry - Hollywood, white collar, blue collar, education systems, etc.  When a woman spoke up before, she was victim shamed and silenced.  Men believed other men and the woman was seen as the "problem."  We can look back in hindsight with our new views from 2017, but let's face it - the world was a different place in 2007, or 1997, and before.  

And blaming these women for not speaking up before yet continuing in their careers is still a major part of perpetuating the problem.  Yikes.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Regarding the OTH situation, this is from the joint statement the cast sent out:

Many of us were told, during filming, that coming forward to talk about this culture would result in our show being canceled and hundreds of lovely, qualified, hard-working, and talented people losing their jobs. This is not an appropriate amount of pressure to put on young girls. Many of us since have stayed silent publicly but had very open channels of communication in our friend group and in our industry, because we want Tree Hill to remain the place “where everything’s better and everything’s safe” for our fans; some of whom have said that the show quite literally saved their lives.

They were all young when they started and under contract - Hilarie Burton left when hers was up. The women looked out for each other, warned any new women on the show and tried to protect them. They also said that more than one woman on the show had her career trajectory threatened.

The whole statement is here:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/one-tree-hill-3-1202614198/

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

I hear what you're saying. But IMO a lot of the current problems that Hollywood is revealing are because those involved were too into the glitter of fame and money to step away. None of us know Sophia Bush personally, so we can't say for certain why she did what she did. We also don't know what the "abuse" actually is, because it was never really specified - and like anything else, what is considered "harassment" to one is not to another.

Whatever it is or was, the OTH showrunner was just fired from "The Royals" because many more women had come forward.

46 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

IMO none of these people deserve the huge money they are earning - they are making many, many times what the rest of us do, and for what? Like you said, most of them are there because it's their passion. It's not right, but we as a society enable them, so it's really us to blame, not them. We should hold Hollywood to the same kinds of salaries as everyone else, and then perhaps we might see some changes.

Huh? Sexual harrassment and assault has nothing to do with the money anyone earns. Look at all the reports of college students who are sexually assaulted. No one is earning any money there. It happens everywhere and victims often stay silent for a variety of reasons.

• Love 3