Type keyword(s) to search

Chicago PD in the Media

Chas411
  • Start Topic

Spoiler

I have nothing against Jesse. I don't have much interest in Jay. But you know it's messed up when I got a nice giggle out of the fact that the Upstead shippers would lose their minds over this news. The rabid ones are such an insufferable lot that I took pleasure in knowing this news would be a blow to them. I hate that they've made me an awful, petty, spiteful person. Damn. 

I am surprised by this news and I didn't get the impression that it was Jesse's decision so it does make me think it's cutting costs or contract stuff.

Sadly, I have the feeling they're still going to cram Hailey down our throats though. However J leaves it's bound to center her. She's still the only detective so that probably makes her Hank's new second. And even the key art has her right in the center. 🙄 

FbbJ520VUAENcyC.jpg

• LOL 2
21 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Upstead fans were triggered by Marina’s IG story, calling her fake, trying to steal the limelight from Jesse’s news etc.

Some were calling out Dick Wolf for letting go a decent actor and keeping Sophia Bush’s “abuser”. Err did I miss anything on Jason Beghe abusing Sophia on set??!

Dramahhh! 🤦🏻‍♀️

E83179D7-EDFF-46C7-8761-32023426E7D2.jpeg

It’s kind of funny now they are saying Sophia bush abuser when not a few months ago they were defending him and saYing Sophia lied about the whole thing . Karma!!

• LOL 3
38 minutes ago, Sweet-n-Snarky said:

am surprised by this news and I didn't get the impression that it was Jesse's decision so it does make me think it's cutting costs or contract stuff.

Why do you think this? Genuinely curious as I’ve seen a few people say this but I haven’t read anything indicating this myself.

1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Why do you think this? Genuinely curious as I’ve seen a few people say this but I haven’t read anything indicating this myself.

I think it was the lack of Jesse saying in BIG letters so the rabid fans could understand that he decided it was time to leave, so it's speculation & their delusional belief that Jesse & Tracy are the same thing as Jay & Hailey & he would never leave her.

Even if it was contractual/cost cutting they are still only cutting people they think have been played out.

So Jesse... onward and upward, you deserved better than what Jay had become on this show.

50 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

The fans are comparing these 2 statements and making their own conclusions re being fired.

They also have started some petitions to bring back Jesse and Kelli.

E90AA743-9C58-4BFD-8F7B-429E49EF70A7.jpeg

9A3857BD-47C4-4A57-B922-6980BF6FA924.jpeg

If he was 'fired' why would he want to come back? I think they also fail to realise that 200 loud fans on twitter is a small % of the 6million who tune in every week. 

I’m curious to see if they’ll consider pushing Upton as a lead character and how it will be received. I know she’s a writers favourite but I think her “popularity” is closely linked to being part of to Upstead ship and Jay in general. Without him im not sure there’ll be huge interest in what she does next. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Guildford said:

If he was 'fired' why would he want to come back? I think they also fail to realise that 200 loud fans on twitter is a small % of the 6million who tune in every week. 

Can’t expect much from overly emotional fans who are too invested in Jay Halstead’s character (and Upstead) instead of the show itself.

There’ll be another waves of emotional outburst when they find out the real reason of his exit and when his last episode airs, seeing how their fav character is written out. Actors come and go, deal with it. 😣 

On 8/31/2022 at 12:07 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

No, I think she's a full time officer with Intelligence, but what she isn't - and neither are Atwater or Ruzek - is a Detective.  With Jay leaving, I think that Hailey is the only licensed or certified (or whatever it is) Detective that's left with Voight.  Al, Antonio, Erin, and Jay all are/were.  Burgess got promoted to Intelligence from a beat cop when she got shot for the second time, but it's never been mentioned that any of them passed the Detective exam.

According to Wikipedia (jump down to rank), the Chicago police department does not have a true detective rank. You get the "rank" when being assigned to a unit, basically, like Burgess did but that's it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Police_Department

17 hours ago, Avabelle said:

For me, it was just the vibe and tone of the statement. Irrespective of the whole thing with Giddish, the formatting and tone of his comment about it was pretty status quo for when actors are let go whether it's "due to creative reasons" or whatever versus when it's their decision. I don't know how to properly describe it, but  I've seen it enough over the years to pick up on the vibe. It was brief, not as personal, diplomatic and professional but not forthcoming. I mean he's been on the show for a decade, so it wouldn't have surprised me if he just wanted out to pursue new things, but I'm just not getting that vibe.

14 hours ago, Guildford said:

I mean whether it's true or not, it's still a connection in the business and a paycheck. Not everyone who gets let go is bitter. It's happened many times before. It's possible to be let go and still be on good terms in the tv business. It happens all the time.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Sweet-n-Snarky said:

For me, it was just the vibe and tone of the statement. Irrespective of the whole thing with Giddish, the formatting and tone of his comment about it was pretty status quo for when actors are let go whether it's "due to creative reasons" or whatever versus when it's their decision. I don't know how to properly describe it, but  I've seen it enough over the years to pick up on the vibe. It was brief, not as personal, diplomatic and professional but not forthcoming. I mean he's been on the show for a decade, so it wouldn't have surprised me if he just wanted out to pursue new things, but I'm just not getting that vibe.

I mean whether it's true or not, it's still a connection in the business and a paycheck. Not everyone who gets let go is bitter. It's happened many times before. It's possible to be let go and still be on good terms in the tv business. It happens all the time.

I just wish Jesse would just come out and say it if it was his choice or not. I obviously think it was his choice , he hasn’t looked happy or excited to be there. After working someplace for so long , it just becomes a job and that’s what it looked like to me. He seem to lose the passion for it. I mean most likely we ain’t getting nothing more from him now because probably because usually wolf doesn’t want them to talk. I think it will come out when his final Ep airs or even when they do promotion if they asked and lol I can’t blame him if he doesn’t want to say was his choice with the way upstead fans are attacking everyone down to marina . I think he just released a generic statement because he is already gone from filming and people would be speculating why he isn’t on set . He already took off Chicago pd from his bio on twitter 

Edited by Jaelyn96
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/2/2022 at 6:15 PM, CheshireCat said:

According to Wikipedia (jump down to rank), the Chicago police department does not have a true detective rank. You get the "rank" when being assigned to a unit, basically, like Burgess did but that's it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Police_Department

Oh, that's interesting!  I guess they aren't staying extremely true to reality then maybe. When they introduce themselves, it's Sgt. Voight, Det. Halstead, Det. Upton, Officer Burgess, Officer Ruzek, and Officer Atwater... Platt is Sgt. Platt but also mentioned awhile ago that she's a detective too. I don't know... guess we just go with it, LOL. 

5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Oh, that's interesting!  I guess they aren't staying extremely true to reality then maybe. When they introduce themselves, it's Sgt. Voight, Det. Halstead, Det. Upton, Officer Burgess, Officer Ruzek, and Officer Atwater... Platt is Sgt. Platt but also mentioned awhile ago that she's a detective too. I don't know... guess we just go with it, LOL. 

Sergeant is an official rank, though and Voight was made Sergeant either at the very beginning of PD or as part of the backdoor pilot when he was given the Intelligence unit.

As far as Platt is concerned, they never addressed that on the show. I'd say maybe the official rank would be Detective Sergeant and Detective Lieutenant except, there are no official detectives, so I have no idea what that is all about.

Sophia Bush once mentioned in an interview that they had PD advisors and, I believe, she said that they/she were able to do a ride-along or at least, she was able to get some insights from them. So, it's possible they didn't do proper research but if they had a PD officer right there with them, it's just lazy not to ask how the ranks work.

I also remember reading somewhere that Chicago PD uses authentic fake badges and that the actors are not allowed to have them outside the set for that very reason.

• Useful 2

Back in the beginning of the show when I was a bigger fan, I used to follow the show's real-life PD consultant on Instagram and/or Twitter.  He would post fun behind the scenes photos and tidbits, but I either stopped following him or he doesn't post anymore.  I think his first name is Brian, but I can't remember...  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Back in the beginning of the show when I was a bigger fan, I used to follow the show's real-life PD consultant on Instagram and/or Twitter.  He would post fun behind the scenes photos and tidbits, but I either stopped following him or he doesn't post anymore.  I think his first name is Brian, but I can't remember...  

Brian Luce... he's still there. He was hounded off social media for a while when the BLM movement was at its peak. He's back on IG but just posts a lot of content for the Upstead fangirls because they blow sunshine up his ass and posts nothing really interesting like he used to.

1 hour ago, Guildford said:

Brian Luce... he's still there. He was hounded off social media for a while when the BLM movement was at its peak. He's back on IG but just posts a lot of content for the Upstead fangirls because they blow sunshine up his ass and posts nothing really interesting like he used to.

Thanks, I must have stopped following him.  Probably for that reason...

On 9/2/2022 at 1:44 PM, Sweet-n-Snarky said:

I hate that they've made me an awful, petty, spiteful person. Damn. 

...and that, my friend, is your cue to leave.

Nothing is worth becoming a person you hate. Especially not a godawful cop show.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:58 PM, Guildford said:

If I was him I wouldn’t give them nothing since they are the ones who made him leave social media. 

General Hospital star Michael Blake Kruse joins Chicago PD

While the details surrounding his casting remain unclear, General Hospital star Michael Blake Kruse has joined the cast of Chicago PD in a yet-to-be-revealed new role. The GH star broke the news via Instagram, where he shared his excitement about heading to Chicago for filming.

from Fansided

1 hour ago, MsJamieDornan said:

from Fansided

I'm pretty sure he's filmed one episode as the usual villan of the week. 

As is expected the screaming tween twitter mob have lost their collective minds.

He had a twitter exchange with Marina which made it sound like he was a guest star.

• Love 2

I always wanted Erin to come back for Jay.  So I guess that will never happen.  Jay's smile was always bright whenever he was around her. 

I do believe that was the actor's choice to leave because Jay has gotten bad writing over the years and he has never recovered in my opinion. I wish the actor luck.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Yeah I always preferred Erin/Jay. They felt more balanced. With Upton he’s just reacting to her being the centre of every storyline going.

I think his exit is down to burnout. 10 years in Chicago is a long time if you’re not based there. The long travelling is why a lot of actor leave these shows. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/10/2022 at 5:17 AM, Avabelle said:

Yeah I always preferred Erin/Jay. They felt more balanced. With Upton he’s just reacting to her being the centre of every storyline going.

I think his exit is down to burnout. 10 years in Chicago is a long time if you’re not based there. The long travelling is why a lot of actor leave these shows. 

Upton had potential but they have ruined her in trying to make her like Voight.  Not to mention, she has no chemistry with the cast. 

I have to wonder if  Dick Wolf lowballed him when it came to salary increase.  He is notoriously cheap when it comes to paying actors their worth..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
On 9/10/2022 at 12:54 AM, Pearson80 said:

I always wanted Erin to come back for Jay.  So I guess that will never happen.  Jay's smile was always bright whenever he was around her. 

Well Erin did go Fed. Maybe Jay leaves when she offers a job he can't pass up.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, anna0852 said:

https://tvline.com/2022/09/19/jesse-lee-soffer-final-chicago-pd-episode-halstead-leaves-season-10/

I don't think Jay's getting killed off, not unless he gets really sick. This reads to me like he gets a good job offer away from Chicago. Or the Voight influence breaks through and he gets locked up.

My money is on his rejoining the Rangers. Give him the hero send off he doesn't deserve but might appease the twitter tween harpies a little so they'll stop their ridiculous spamming & tantrums.

1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

That way they can also keep the door open for Upstead.

I doubt it, having her moping around waiting for Jay to come save her from her latest crime doesn't make for interesting viewing. Send him off to the army & then knock him off over there. 

They wrote his characater into a corner with Upstead, he became a hypocrite, only willing to do the right thing when it involved Hailey. After changing his whole personality to covering up the unlawful killing of a suspect & blackmailing an FBI agent there was literally nothing else for him. 

Taking over from Voight was never going to happen, and if he let Hailey get away with what she did what drama could they possibly write for them as a couple? Eid's obsession with Upton ruined Jay as a character & their marriage was the final nail in the coffin. He left the subsequent showrunner with nothing.

Keeping Upton tethered to a non-existent character who is never coming back makes no story telling sense, it will severely limit anything they can do with her. 

• Applause 1

None of Upstead or Hayley in general makes for interesting viewing but it doesn’t stop the writers. 

I agree storyline wise it doesn’t make sense to keep them together so I reckon they’ll have them amicably split but keep the door open for a reunion when the show ends or Tracy departs.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Guildford said:

I doubt it, having her moping around waiting for Jay to come save her from her latest crime doesn't make for interesting viewing. Send him off to the army & then knock him off over there. 

They wrote his characater into a corner with Upstead, he became a hypocrite, only willing to do the right thing when it involved Hailey. After changing his whole personality to covering up the unlawful killing of a suspect & blackmailing an FBI agent there was literally nothing else for him. 

The Jay and Hailey relationship started as a nice friendship, and they had good chemistry.  I started getting skeptical about it when Hailey slept with Adam while poor idiot Jay sat there and pined for her.  However, the show explained that away as a short term deal that Hailey recognized was not good for her.  I thought it was cool when Jay made Hailey jealous by banging the drug dealing bartender.  Hailey deserved a taste of her own medicine.

This relationship has not been interesting since they got together.  They don't ever show them as a couple any more.  Also, Hailey still seems pissy and/or mean most of the time.  If being with a guy like Jay isn't going to make her happy, what will?  I'm sick of her constant crisis mode and sour face. 

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

The Jay and Hailey relationship started as a nice friendship, and they had good chemistry.  I started getting skeptical about it when Hailey slept with Adam while poor idiot Jay sat there and pined for her.  However, the show explained that away as a short term deal that Hailey recognized was not good for her.  I thought it was cool when Jay made Hailey jealous by banging the drug dealing bartender.  Hailey deserved a taste of her own medicine.

This relationship has not been interesting since they got together.  They don't ever show them as a couple any more.  Also, Hailey still seems pissy and/or mean most of the time.  If being with a guy like Jay isn't going to make her happy, what will?  I'm sick of her constant crisis mode and sour face. 

I thought they had much more chemistry on screen as friends, it worked... the romantic side of their relationship was one of the worst I've seen. They don't even look like they like each other and I know they weren't given any scenes in the second half but even just irrelevant things like being in a car together there is just this void.... 

Kim & Adam haven't been together for years but still manage to keep some kind of 'touch' with each other even in the background, Upstead don't, everything seems overly scripted and badly acted and I am not sure why.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Chicago P.D.'s Burgess Will Face Her Trauma and Why She Pushes Ruzek Away, EP Teases: 'She Can't Ignore It'

“She will continue to deal with it,” showrunner Gwen Sigan tells TVLine. “[It] gets to a point where she can’t really ignore it. She’s been in this space of denial in Episode 8 because it’s frightening. I don’t think she fully knows what’s going on with her body [and] doesn’t really know why it’s happening now.”

7 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Chicago P.D.'s Burgess Will Face Her Trauma and Why She Pushes Ruzek Away, EP Teases: 'She Can't Ignore It'

“She will continue to deal with it,” showrunner Gwen Sigan tells TVLine. “[It] gets to a point where she can’t really ignore it. She’s been in this space of denial in Episode 8 because it’s frightening. I don’t think she fully knows what’s going on with her body [and] doesn’t really know why it’s happening now.”

FINALLY

• LOL 1

SO he saw all his 'fans' abusing his friends, tweeting death threats, and being vile, begging for the show to be cancelled because they 'fired' him, watched as delusional tweens raised funds for a billboard to demand Wolf give him his job back & waited until now to explain it was his decision? Nice.

• LOL 1
On 2/24/2023 at 7:19 AM, Guildford said:

SO he saw all his 'fans' abusing his friends, tweeting death threats, and being vile, begging for the show to be cancelled because they 'fired' him, watched as delusional tweens raised funds for a billboard to demand Wolf give him his job back & waited until now to explain it was his decision? Nice.

Someone asked the same Q in Reddit, why now? One of his fan was quick to his defense re the timing - everything is planned to be impactful.

Maybe JLS just need a new agent. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

For all the ambition he apparently has i think he’s too low key to get to a lead role in a network or cable show. Bar directing an episode of Chicago has there been anything lined up since he left?

When Sophia left it took a good few years for her to get a project going but she did sign a deal with Fox or some other network. I don’t think that amounted to much either but it showed there was stuff in the pipeline..

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Avabelle said:

For all the ambition he apparently has i think he’s too low key to get to a lead role in a network or cable show. Bar directing an episode of Chicago has there been anything lined up since he left?

When Sophia left it took a good few years for her to get a project going but she did sign a deal with Fox or some other network. I don’t think that amounted to much either but it showed there was stuff in the pipeline..

I think you're thinking of Good Sam? It was cancelled after one season.

According to wikipedia, she's had a recurring role in another series (streaming) and had a lead in a movie and a supporting role in another in addition to a couple of guest appearances in a few series.

I follow her on Twitter and I only ever notice her posts as an activist, so I didn't know she's been that busy!

There's nothing about anything that's in the works on Soffer's wikipedia page or on Google.

No I think Good Sam was separate - she signed a talent development deal with Fox first which I don’t think went anywhere.

Yeah I don’t think she’s that busy and Good Sam was brutal but I’m just making the point that i think at the time of her departure she’d have had more lead power and range than Soffer and given that she’s failed to get a successful lead role going I really can’t see it for him.

Happy to be wrong though. 

• Like 2