Type keyword(s) to search

Chicago PD in the Media

Chas411
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

News about departures seem to trickle out. (I've come across a few, mostly from CBS shows). Makes me believe that we probably won't hear anything official until September. The ship on that seems to have kind of sailed.

I did a Google search on Christopher Meloni's exit from L&O SVU ('cause the shows I remember were all CBS shows and they all included an official statement) and this was how his exit was reported: http://tvline.com/2011/05/24/chris-meloni-exits-law-order-svu/

No official statement from either Meloni or NBC. Maybe they're not having the decency of making one available to fans?

Either way, at least, this one is definite and not full of sentences which start with "I hear".

Maybe we'll get a comment in an after-premiere report/interview in September?

Yeah, unfortunately at this point it looks like they aren't going to say anything until September. (Or perhaps at least until they get back into writing or production.) Again, feels a little like a slap in the face to long-time fans to just completely ignore such a huge chunk of news that is obviously out there.

I really hope when we see something official we get some more information. I still find it so surprising that Sophia would leave, I really want to know why. Even with what we read in that Politico article, she seemed to really love the show, the cast, the crew, Chicago. It really sounded like she had embraced that whole world and was absolutely loving it. But I guess people only show the world what they want to show, so who knows how she really felt? (I mean, if she was just leaving for movie roles or something, I would have hoped she could have taken a hiatus like Patrick John Flueger did earlier this season.

Anyway, as bummed as I am by this news (and at this point I'm 99.999% sure it's true), I would probably be long over it by now if she had just said something and made it clear.

• Love 1

I feel bad for her because everyone on Twitter just respond to her posts with "are you leaving Chicago PD?"  If/when we get an announcement from her, it won't be her just responding to some stranger on Twitter...  let it go, people.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, quesera1 said:

Yeah, unfortunately at this point it looks like they aren't going to say anything until September. (Or perhaps at least until they get back into writing or production.) Again, feels a little like a slap in the face to long-time fans to just completely ignore such a huge chunk of news that is obviously out there.

They should already be back to writing. Chicago Fire is, so PD should be as well.

I really hope when we see something official we get some more information. I still find it so surprising that Sophia would leave, I really want to know why.

Unless it was all rainbows and unicorns, I'm almost certain that we won't find out. I suspect that we will get a version of "The years on the show were great, but it is time to move on. I enjoyed working with everyone, I will miss the show, cast and crew and you fans are great" from Bush and something like "We're sad to see her leave but we wish Sophia all the best in her future" from NBC if we get anything from NBC at all

21 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

They should already be back to writing. Chicago Fire is, so PD should be as well.

Unless it was all rainbows and unicorns, I'm almost certain that we won't find out. I suspect that we will get a version of "The years on the show were great, but it is time to move on. I enjoyed working with everyone, I will miss the show, cast and crew and you fans are great" from Bush and something like "We're sad to see her leave but we wish Sophia all the best in her future" from NBC if we get anything from NBC at all

Oh yeah, I know there's no way we'll ever get the details!

Wanting more money?  Bad breakup with a cast/crew member?  More time off?  Forced out?  Someday, I am sure she'll write a book and we'll get some details then.  The show seems heavily on the testosterone, and I wonder how that affects things that go on behind the scenes. 

Well whatever the reason is that she decided to leave, it certainly wasn't because of a lack of screen time. A lot of the show revolved around her, the Jason Beghe/Hank Voight character, and her mom. Not to mention her relationship with Jesse Lee Soffer's character. So much so that it seems like a reboot to carry on the show without her. Well such has happened before in TV land.

The thing is, while the "I hear..." schtick is annoying, being Deadline makes it already seem like a done deal. That is an industry site, so even if the wording is gossipy, their content is usually spot on which tells me Sophia Bush is truly gone.

And unless someone writes a book later, I also doubt details will emerge. Those involved likely want to continue working and spilling tea would definitely jeopardize that.

• Love 1

Agreed about Deadline - they're always correct plus the departure news seems to match that of Chris Melonis where nobody commented. Given how quiet everyone has been I assume NBC don't want anyone talking at all - maybe they're afraid it'll reflect badly on the network or show. 

Beghe teased at the Upfronts it was going to be like an entirely new show so obviously the plan is to reboot especially given there's a new crew as well. I guess the question is how will it go. NBC have obviously lost interest in the Chicago franchise so if ratings don't stay the same or wouldn't shock me if they pulled it given they don't seem to make any money off it from what I read.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chas411 said:

Agreed about Deadline - they're always correct plus the departure news seems to match that of Chris Melonis where nobody commented. Given how quiet everyone has been I assume NBC don't want anyone talking at all - maybe they're afraid it'll reflect badly on the network or show. 

Beghe teased at the Upfronts it was going to be like an entirely new show so obviously the plan is to reboot especially given there's a new crew as well. I guess the question is how will it go. NBC have obviously lost interest in the Chicago franchise so if ratings don't stay the same or wouldn't shock me if they pulled it given they don't seem to make any money off it from what I read.

Really? I thought the franchise is really popular which is why they kept adding spin offs.

It was and parts of it still is but the cancellation of Justice and demotion of Med to midseason leads me to believe that they're pulling back on it and don't have the same faith in it they originally did.

I think it suffered by trying to do too much to soon and capitalise on the success of the first two shows. It stretched way to thin and expecting people to watch all four shows to get the 'full' story was pretty arrogant tbh.

Fire & PD is where it should start & end. Med is just okay but pretty weak & justice was boring and didn't fit with the rest of them. Unless they were going to have them follow up on the cases that PD solved I just couldn't see it having enough meat & they couldn't do that because PD doesn't follow the law.

• Love 3

Yeah, I agree, Sophia is almost definitely going, so it will definitely be a totally different show next season (for better or for worse I guess). But given all of the shake-ups behind the scenes, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Chicago franchise was winding down and other series start to be cancelled in the next few seasons. It will all depend on the ratings this year I guess.

Until now, PD has become my favourite of the franchise. But I guess I'm holding off my own personal decision on PD until season 5 starts. I'm definitely concerned about how they will handle Lindsay leaving (I personally think PD has the strongest cast, so a shake-up could be detrimental to that), but I like Halstead and Platt and a lot of the others enough to wait and see what they do. (And hopefully that includes bringing Antonio back into the mix! Antonio and Jay as partners, please!) 

I have started to find myself losing interest in Fire (oddly enough, for the same reasons a lot of people hate on PD -- too much focus on certain characters *cough*Gabby*cough*, recycled storylines, etc., but like I said, I like the PD cast better!).

I like Med, though I find the characters on that show to be totally hit or miss for me -- I like Manning, Choi, Charles, Goodwin, Maggie and Latham (Latham is amazing, Ato Essandoh is doing such a wonderful job portraying the autism spectrum!), but I find Reese a bit annoying, April and Rhodes are just meh for me, and Dr. Halstead gets on my nerves. It's definitely way better than Justice, which just fell completely flat and didn't seem to have enough to do and didn't really have the same synergy with the other shows (following up on PD cases would have made way more sense!)

But I fully admit I got sucked into the franchise and would absolutely have watched Chicago Sanitation and Chicago School Board and whatever else they threw at me!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Really? I thought the franchise is really popular which is why they kept adding spin offs.

At first yes. But it doesn't seem popular enough given that they cancelled Justice and they're having difficulties selling Fire and PD into syndication. The article I read referred to oversaturation of the market but I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to the franchise, too. If you take one show you kind of have to take the others. I absolutely love how the shows are set in the same universe. It's unique and I really like it the criss-crossing. But I realize how that can be a tough sell and may not work in a show's favor either.

For some reason, a thought popped in my head the other day...

No one is going to confirm this either way - no matter what, no matter how many people ask, etc.  A confirmation ruins their "cliffhanger."  NBC sure won't comment, and Sophia won't just out of respect for the show/industry.  

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

For some reason, a thought popped in my head the other day...

No one is going to confirm this either way - no matter what, no matter how many people ask, etc.  A confirmation ruins their "cliffhanger."  NBC sure won't comment, and Sophia won't just out of respect for the show/industry.  

I don't think this is about the cliffhanger. Everyone knows. There was no cliffhanger when Meloni left and they still didn't comment and Meloni wasn't on record. It just seems to be the way NBC is doing things. Maybe they don't like fan backlash?

I think Meloni's situation was different, and here, there is a cliffhanger.  No matter how minor of one it may be now, it's still there.  The show won't want to do anything more to further ruin that.

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think Meloni's situation was different, and here, there is a cliffhanger.  No matter how minor of one it may be now, it's still there.  The show won't want to do anything more to further ruin that.

I'm not so sure - think about the reverse. How many shows have cliffhangers and we never hear about characters exiting so we know beforehand that they survive or don't quit or whatever it is that the cliffhanger is all about?!

I find that the cliffhangers which are about the story of the show are more effective than the ones leaving characters in limbo because fans usually find out who's leaving (or not) before the cliffhanger gets resolved.

I was much more indifferent to the S2 cliffhanger than the S1 and S3 cliffhangers, for example, because there was no indication that Sophia Bush would leave PD at the time.

I think often times, putting characters in jeopardy serves the purpose of contract negotiations more than keeping the fate of the character a mystery until the next season starts.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

I'm not so sure - think about the reverse. How many shows have cliffhangers and we never hear about characters exiting so we know beforehand that they survive or don't quit or whatever it is that the cliffhanger is all about?!

I think often times, putting characters in jeopardy serves the purpose of contract negotiations more than keeping the fate of the character a mystery until the next season starts.

Well, I think if no one hears anything during summer hiatus, fans just assume it's status quo and a character will be back.  Fans probably don't even bother to think about it much.  But that's not always the case.  I'm sure there are plenty of examples where TPTB were able to keep a departure under wraps.  It is getting much harder in the digital age with social media, but it can still be done.  Take Connie Britton leaving Nashville, for example.  She even flat out lied in interviews and said she was sticking around when everyone involved knew she was leaving.  We also haven't heard anything on the 4 characters in jeopardy on Chicago Fire.  Are we to automatically assume they are all safe?  I guess I'll believe that when they are all seen filming on set again for episode 2 of the new season.

I can definitely see where a cliffhanger is needed when there are contract negotiations going on, but they are supposed to be done for suspense.  Just because we don't usually buy them doesn't mean that's what the writers want. ;-)  

3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Well, I think if no one hears anything during summer hiatus, fans just assume it's status quo and a character will be back.  Fans probably don't even bother to think about it much.  But that's not always the case.  I'm sure there are plenty of examples where TPTB were able to keep a departure under wraps.  It is getting much harder in the digital age with social media, but it can still be done.  Take Connie Britton leaving Nashville, for example.  She even flat out lied in interviews and said she was sticking around when everyone involved knew she was leaving.  We also haven't heard anything on the 4 characters in jeopardy on Chicago Fire.  Are we to automatically assume they are all safe?  I guess I'll believe that when they are all seen filming on set again for episode 2 of the new season.

I can definitely see where a cliffhanger is needed when there are contract negotiations going on, but they are supposed to be done for suspense.  Just because we don't usually buy them doesn't mean that's what the writers want. ;-)  

Actually that's the point, that fans will look for bts stuff from filming ao yeah probably a casual viewer won't see it but we will figure out whether Sophia is filming or not soon enough. I mean not even Game of Thrones has been able to avoid that kind of leaks and they are all about plot twists and suspense so I don't think NBC will be able to confuse us! But anyway I just meant that we get "spoilers" on who goes on who stays through filming so it's too soon for both CPD and CF.

Well... - GoT spoiler alert -

Spoiler

we all knew Jon Snow wasn't really dead.

;-)  They tried their best, but that one was obvious.  Have you heard the story where Kit talked his way out of a speeding ticket by telling the cop whether "he" was alive or dead?

• Love 1
(edited)

I still don't think there's a question of Bush's status. Deadline had her leaving, Hollywood Reporter, another industry mag, has her leaving. And I see no ambiguity. And since Jason Beghe himself said CPD would be like a new show...

I'm betting - since there was a cliffhanger - it'll fold out as Chris Meloni's/Elliot Stabler's departure did, with talk of Erin leaving for a new job and how sad it is to lose her, and then onward. Meloni wasn't needed to be around physically when Cragen told Benson Stabler was gone/decided to retire. I see the same pattern here.

Edited by WendyCR72
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I can't comment on anything before social media. It was kind of before my TV time. I also don't watch Nashville but from what I can tell, it's rather the exception to the rule. But something usually leaks out. I think it's more common to happen for shows which are filmed in LA but even for other shows... One of the season 5 exits for Once Upon a Time leaked because the actors name appeared for availability with his agent again. Then he was seen at the airport with his family. This season, an actress made an official announcement much earlier than she planned because it had leaked and she wanted it to be official (both exits were on good terms, so no need to not put out statements in the first place)

Other exits leak because the actor is missing on set. I think every for the last 8-9 fall TV seasons I've gone into, I've always known who would be back and who wouldn't and I don't spend any time hunting down news. A forum like this one and checking the occasional industry website is enough as something always seems to leak.

What I find particularly interesting (and curious) about this information leaking is the timing. Based on how the finale went, we all assume that Sophia Bush was discussing her departure with the powers that be. But if that was indeed the case, and they knew she was possibly/likely/definitely leaving... why write in the engagement ring/proposal plot? We know the show and the cast recognize and play into the Linstead fans' enthusiasm, so it seems odd that they would bother writing that in if they not only knew that nothing would come of it, but that Lindsay wasn't even going to be around. It just seems particularly cruel. Like if Bush/Lindsay were sticking around, I know that there's no way they would actually get engaged (it doesn't really make sense for their characters, especially now), but at least that would give the couple something to talk about, work toward, whatever. Drama and angst is a natural part of a TV romance. It's boring without it! But in this case, it just makes no sense to bring that in. It's like adding salt to the wound.

Which makes me wonder if the departure is brand new information and something crazy happened. But if that was the case, would Bush be considering a guest arc to wrap things up, as the articles have reported? Anyway, bottom line of this train of thought is (a) the writers are meanies and wanted to make fans extra upset, or (b) they had no idea this was going to happen (or -- living in a dream world here -- (c) the information isn't true and she's staying haha)

I don't really care when I find out who is leaving. Taken at face value I think the last episode definitely tells me Erin is departing Chicago, but maybe it's for only a half-season. Maybe it's the old switcheroo and someone else leaves which forces her to stay (in which case Mr MML will be in heaven). Why box the writers into a corner? 

I think the writers probably knew she was leaving but felt that they needed a cliffhanger all the same so instead of thinking up a decent legitimate one they tacked on the proposal. 

On 6/25/2017 at 4:27 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I know it's probably lower than even a decade ago, but some still don't follow entertainment stuff online so, for those offliners, the cliffhanger scenario may still work.

I absolutely get that. But then what's the difference if they were to say something on social media or whatever? The message would reach the same people as the original article did. Shows some respect for the audience that is following the situation, makes no difference to the people who are in the dark. No harm, no foul.

Instead they are tiptoeing around the huge question mark hanging over their show. There hasn't been a single mention of Sophia Bush/Erin Lindsay/Linstead on any of the show's social media accounts since the news broke (and it's an incredibly obvious change from before when there was an emphasis on her). If they are truly trying to maintain their cliffhanger they aren't doing a very good job. 

They need(ed -- it's really too late now) to pick a lane: either continue posting/discussing the entire cast/show as always, or suck it up and address the situation. Instead they are jumping all over the place.

(edited)
7 hours ago, quesera1 said:

I absolutely get that. But then what's the difference if they were to say something on social media or whatever? The message would reach the same people as the original article did. Shows some respect for the audience that is following the situation, makes no difference to the people who are in the dark. No harm, no foul.

Instead they are tiptoeing around the huge question mark hanging over their show. There hasn't been a single mention of Sophia Bush/Erin Lindsay/Linstead on any of the show's social media accounts since the news broke (and it's an incredibly obvious change from before when there was an emphasis on her). If they are truly trying to maintain their cliffhanger they aren't doing a very good job. 

They need(ed -- it's really too late now) to pick a lane: either continue posting/discussing the entire cast/show as always, or suck it up and address the situation. Instead they are jumping all over the place.

I get what you're saying, but do they really need to say anything? Onliners were told of Sophia Bush leaving from more than one outlet. And there was no "if" or other words implying ambiguity. She's gone.

Maybe the network figures that's that. Still, I agree - minus offliners - using a fake cliffhanger is stupid since, as was said, industry sites have plastered Bush's departure across the 'net.

If there were issues behind the scenes, I doubt anything will ever be said or explained unless someone writes some tell-all book down the line. There were, as I recall, similar complaints after Castle fired the female lead, etc. Crap happens, and while some want to know every last crumb, a lot of the time, things stay in the dark for whatever reason.

Maybe that's the case here.

Edited by WendyCR72

I think that there were issues behind the scenes, who knows if they will ever come out, but it's pretty clear Sophia had problems with one of the male actors on the show from her comments in the article a while back, and I wonder if that is playing a role in her departure. I also wonder if her political views and her Twitter rants about politics have something to do with her departure, that can cause problems with networks. I think that there are definitely issues on the set regarding Sophia and that NBC and the cast are under a gag order. 

16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I get what you're saying, but do they really need to say anything? Onliners were told of Sophia Bush leaving from more than one outlet. And there was no "if" or other words implying ambiguity. She's gone.

Maybe the network figures that's that. Still, I agree - minus offliners - using a fake cliffhanger is stupid since, as was said, industry sites have plastered Bush's departure across the 'net.

If there were issues behind the scenes, I doubt anything will ever be said or explained unless someone writes some tell-all book down the line. There were, as I recall, similar complaints after Castle fired the female lead, etc. Crap happens, and while some want to know every last crumb, a lot of the time, things stay in the dark for whatever reason.

Maybe that's the case here.

True, but it's so odd to not make any kind of official statement. I presume they are ironing out the details behind the scenes figuring out how to continue for season 5 post-Bush (hiring new people, coming up with plot lines, contract details, if she's coming back to wrap up her story, etc.), but it still strikes me as unusual for there to be radio silence from EVERYONE. Yes, those were industry sites breaking the news, but no one "official" has cleared the air. Nor will they until the premiere at this point.

And I posted a clip earlier that popped up where Sophia was asked and all she said was that she wasn't allowed the ruin the cliffhanger. Because that's really what we're thinking about at this point.

14 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think that there were issues behind the scenes, who knows if they will ever come out, but it's pretty clear Sophia had problems with one of the male actors on the show from her comments in the article a while back, and I wonder if that is playing a role in her departure. I also wonder if her political views and her Twitter rants about politics have something to do with her departure, that can cause problems with networks. I think that there are definitely issues on the set regarding Sophia and that NBC and the cast are under a gag order. 

It's really upsetting to me as a woman if she is leaving what she has called her dream job because of issues with a male co-star (I have a guess as to who it was, but who knows). Just a really sh!tty situation all around, it's really too bad.

I don't think she needs to come back to wrap up her storyline. Minus the random bit with Jay that was clearly added for ratings purposes only there's nothing left for her to do. She's said her goodbyes with Voight and they've made such a balls of her and Jay that I don't think there needs to be another episode tacked on. There's nothing left to say. She's exiting so the storyline can't go any farther.

14 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I don't think she needs to come back to wrap up her storyline. Minus the random bit with Jay that was clearly added for ratings purposes only there's nothing left for her to do. She's said her goodbyes with Voight and they've made such a balls of her and Jay that I don't think there needs to be another episode tacked on. There's nothing left to say. She's exiting so the storyline can't go any farther.

I agree.... as much as I want to see more (ideally a happy ending) for Erin & Jay, I can't imagine any realistic options for them to bring her back to wrap things up (that's just what was mentioned in the articles about her departure). Bringing her back would probably just make things worse for Jay going forward. Unless they let Linstead continue off-screen, which is so unlikely.

I agree.... as much as I want to see more (ideally a happy ending) for Erin & Jay, I can't imagine any realistic options for them to bring her back to wrap things up (that's just what was mentioned in the articles about her departure). Bringing her back would probably just make things worse for Jay going forward. Unless they let Linstead continue off-screen, which is so unlikely.

No show has ever done that I think but I wish they would. Sure, there are fans who would like to see the relationship but what I want most of all is to see my favorite characters happy and an off-screen relationship would be a way of doing that. I wish a show would take the plunge and do it. They can have a long-distance relationship, then they can get married during summer hiatus, throw in a "how's Lindsay" every now and then, give a one-line answer and move on. There's really nothing to it and I think a few fans would appreciate it. (It would also rule out hooking up Jay with the next best female).

• Love 3
(edited)
37 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

No show has ever done that I think but I wish they would. Sure, there are fans who would like to see the relationship but what I want most of all is to see my favorite characters happy and an off-screen relationship would be a way of doing that. I wish a show would take the plunge and do it. They can have a long-distance relationship, then they can get married during summer hiatus, throw in a "how's Lindsay" every now and then, give a one-line answer and move on. There's really nothing to it and I think a few fans would appreciate it. (It would also rule out hooking up Jay with the next best female).

That would be my wish too. Plus then if there's any chance Sophia would be willing to make guest appearances it would make sense. Even if she wouldn't be willing to come back, it's absolutely possible to do this. Just not very probable. I know I would personally appreciate it. Any alternatives break my Linstead-loving heart. Especially because they used that relationship SO MUCH to promote the show, it's become such a significant factor. I just don't want to see Jay with anyone else. (God I sound like I am going through a breakup!)

Edited by quesera1
  • Love 1

God I could think of nothing worse than a long distance relationship, everyone moping around & fans constantly begging for her to come back or waiting for a 'mention'........This show needs to move on. The character has gone, let's focus on those who are still there.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/4/2017 at 4:36 PM, Xeliou66 said:

She mentioned someone waving his hand at her when she made a suggestion, after which she stood up for her suggestion, I think--is there more than this? I'd hope she wouldn't leave a show just because of that. If there is more to it than that, it's really wrong imo for something like this to be brought up by her and to not name names--every guy on the show, actors and writers etc., will be tarred by that brush. PS: I love Sophia Bush and her character on this show--Mr. MML more so :)

Edited by MakeMeLaugh

It just seems like there are some issues behind the scenes to me, with Sophia talking having run ins with 2 males on the show in the article a while back, and it seems Iike she is unhappy with the working environment there. I think sicne she made it an issue she should've named names as well because it does paint every male on the show in a bad light. I'm not saying this is the only reason she is leaving, but I think a bad work environment played into it from what I've heard. I also wonder if her political activism played a role in her departure, NBC might've wanted her to tone down her comments. Perhaps she didn't want to have the drama of working with an ex again as well, since that happened on her last show and that wouldn't be easy. 

The whole thing just seems weird and I find it strange how no one has talked about it or confirmed it at the network. I think a gag order is in place and there are a lot of behind the scenes issues that we don't know about. 

4 hours ago, Guildford said:

God I could think of nothing worse than a long distance relationship, everyone moping around & fans constantly begging for her to come back or waiting for a 'mention'........This show needs to move on. The character has gone, let's focus on those who are still there.

That's probably going to happen one way or another. It happened to NCIS after Ziva/dePablo left (fans holding out for her to come back even though the character had left the US), so I doubt it's going to be any different for PD.

The article bugged me too. If she wanted to tell the real story then she should have committed and named names. Instead she was really vague and every male ended up looking bad. It wouldn't surprise me if that further strained her relationship with the network and her costars. 

For the record I too adore Sophia Bush and have for years. I don't think outing an ignorant potentially sexist costar is a bad thing but if you're going to do it just actually do it. Don't drop vague hints that has the potential to make everyone look bad.

1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

The article bugged me too. If she wanted to tell the real story then she should have committed and named names. Instead she was really vague and every male ended up looking bad. It wouldn't surprise me if that further strained her relationship with the network and her costars. 

For the record I too adore Sophia Bush and have for years. I don't think outing an ignorant potentially sexist costar is a bad thing but if you're going to do it just actually do it. Don't drop vague hints that has the potential to make everyone look bad.

I actually think that was really poor form on her behalf. As you say, either commit to it fully or deal with it behind closed doors but she basically tarred everyone of her co-stars with the same brush. And as the story often goes, there is 3 sides to every story and in this case I assume there is her version, 'his version' and the truth somewhere in the middle. I certainly get the feeling that it was a pretty toxic set towards the end of the season. 

I had zero Idea who Sophia Bush was before I started watching PD, I've never seen OTH & living in the bottom half of the world she's barely known down here. I can't say I will rush to see anything else she is in either, I just don't get the fascination or attraction. 

6 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

That's probably going to happen one way or another. It happened to NCIS after Ziva/dePablo left (fans holding out for her to come back even though the character had left the US), so I doubt it's going to be any different for PD.

Which sadly led to the most pathetic frustrating and underwhelming character exit ever. Michael Weatherly deserved better than that crap they served up.

Yeah I was frustrated with that article, since she complained about her treatment on set to the press she should've named names, since she didn't she basically allowed everyone of her male co stars to be painted with the suspicion of being a sexist prick. I have a feeling that caused some tension behind the scenes towards the end of the season and that may have played a role in her departure which seemed very sudden. It just seems like this is an odd exit and that there is probably some bad blood behind the scenes after Sophia's comments about sexist co stars. 

I still find it really odd how NBC hasn't confirmed it or said anything and neither has Sophia, makes me think there are still issues to be resolved and a gag order is in place. 

But there may be legal ramifications if Sophia Bush did name names. Not saying she lied, but people often view one thing a million ways, so if she did name names and the person in question took issue, a lawsuit could emerge between the actors and/or the network, possibly.

So the best idea would have been to not even mention the incident in a roundabout way, but what's done is done, and I guess radio silence is how this is handled going forward.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yeah I was frustrated with that article, since she complained about her treatment on set to the press she should've named names, since she didn't she basically allowed everyone of her male co stars to be painted with the suspicion of being a sexist prick. I have a feeling that caused some tension behind the scenes towards the end of the season and that may have played a role in her departure which seemed very sudden. It just seems like this is an odd exit and that there is probably some bad blood behind the scenes after Sophia's comments about sexist co stars. 

I still find it really odd how NBC hasn't confirmed it or said anything and neither has Sophia, makes me think there are still issues to be resolved and a gag order is in place. 

Yeah, I get that the purpose of that podcast was to discuss current political and social issues, so that story was completely relevant to the discussion. So perhaps the better way of telling that story would just have been to say this happened with a co-star once. Not naming the show, the time frame, nothing too specific. Because I personally think it's an important story to tell. Just might not have been shared in the best way.

I think something must have gone on in the background, because the way this exit is being handled is extremely unusual. Whether that behind-the-scenes stuff stemmed from the issue discussed on the podcast, or from something else, it definitely feels like something major happened to change things so drastically (at least from an outside perspective, because to be fair, even though everything may have appeared okay until recently, people only share what they want to).

Perhaps there are still issues to resolve, contract details to iron out, heck, potentially even something to investigate for all we know. But yeah, very odd for such radio silence on the subject. Very odd that they seem to be pretending Lindsay never existed on social media. Very odd all around.

• Love 2

Yeah, I get that the purpose of that podcast was to discuss current political and social issues, so that story was completely relevant to the discussion. So perhaps the better way of telling that story would just have been to say this happened with a co-star once. Not naming the show, the time frame, nothing too specific. Because I personally think it's an important story to tell. Just might not have been shared in the best way.

I definitely agree. Working conditions in Hollywood will never change if stories like that don't get out there. Maybe it painted every male co-star in a bad light but maybe we shouldn't fault the woman for speaking out about injustice that happens in Hollywood every day and most stay silent about but be mad at the men who witness the injustice and just stand by. It's not all Bush's fault that every male co-star was under suspicion, it's also the men's fault who still treat women like that.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

I definitely agree. Working conditions in Hollywood will never change if stories like that don't get out there. Maybe it painted every male co-star in a bad light but maybe we shouldn't fault the woman for speaking out about injustice that happens in Hollywood every day and most stay silent about but be mad at the men who witness the injustice and just stand by. It's not all Bush's fault that every male co-star was under suspicion, it's also the men's fault who still treat women like that.

Yes to this! Again, it's not like she was just talking about this experience to a random magazine or interviewer or anything. It was a political discussion for a political website about an issue that is extremely relevant to current issues, and is absolutely relevant for a woman working in a male-dominated environment (here, Hollywood, and specifically a TV set where it's clear that the men outnumber the women).

To me, Sophia absolutely isn't at fault for sharing the story. Hollywood (or I guess here, Chicago-hood?) is at fault for being a place where that type of situation appears (unfortunately) to be norm.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not blaming Sophia per se but I don't think she did anything great for women in Hollyood by saying that. It didn't come off as any great stance to me. It came off as a passive aggressive dig at the show in general. Or at least the way the article was written it did. As already said above she didn't need to go into specifics if the legalities could get in the way. She could have told the story and made her point. Instead she left it really vague and unfortunately that makes her look questionable. To me anyway. 

But again before my opinion is crucified, it's merely how the story comes across to me From the small about of information that has been provided. It's just this combined with how she's publicly slated NBC on Twitter and questioned the shows direction all year. I just think there was an overall fallout between her and the show. 

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 3

I don't blame Sophia for sharing the story, but she should've named names. I agree that there needs to be change in the way women are treated in Hollywood but that change won't happen unless people have the guts to name the sexist pricks. Complaining about your treatment and then not naming names makes it seem like her interest in changing the treatment of women stops when it might have repercussions for her, or that her concern is phony. It did come across as a dig against the show and all of her male co stars, which I have a feeling caused tension on the set. It wasn't right to paint all of the men on the show as a potential sexist douche. 

The whole thing is bizarre, I can never remember a show/network just ignoring the exit of a star and pretending like nothing is going on. I really wonder how they will handle her departure.