Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Face Value

The good news is the team finds a witness to a murder. The bad news is he suffers from Prosopagnosia, commonly known as facial recognition blindness, and he can't recognize the killer. The Rizzolis prepare for a visit from their scheming cousin Carlo.

I knew him from the Oceans 11 movies....and some other random roles.

as for the killer, Cocobeans: it was some drug dealer if I recall. 

I knew Cousin Carlo from somewhere but he wasn't on IMDB. I swear I saw him on an episode of Who's the Boss maybe?

• Love 2
(edited)

The camera was a surprise. I expected Maura to be trusting and naïve like they usually

have her do by playing her as a fool. Instead they had her being trusting but smart. I like

that and hope they keep her like that. I loved the Rizzolis reactions to their cousins. I have

two aunts that were the Carlo of our family and we always had the exact same reaction when

they called or surprised us with a visit.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

They wasted like 5 minutes on Frankie in an elevator talking to his mom.  Is that random new detective he introduced himself to  going to be a part of the show somehow?

So I come over to your house, I  cook and spill oil on the floor then I fall due to that oil that I spilled and the homeowner gets sued?   Yep sound about right,  screwy.

• Love 2
(edited)

They wasted like 5 minutes on Frankie in an elevator talking to his mom.  Is that random new detective he introduced himself to  going to be a part of the show somehow?

I liked that there were two women detectives in this episode: Fordham in the elevator and Kain at the arson.  Whether they will return is questionable: Jan Nash disposes of characters faster than she adds them.  There should have been a mention of recently deceased Susie Chang (perhaps when Maura used that camera?)  There were some sweet Rizzles subtext moments for this shipper, especially the closing staring/blinking contest (I kept wishing they'd kiss.)

Edited by Scamp
  • Love 1

Not that this show has ever been grand drama and A+ writing but what the hell happened to Rizzoli & Isles?!? Quick bullet points that annoy me or have me shaking my head:

- Does Jane not have an apartment anymore? I know the set of Maura's house is great but damn?

- I know Lorraine B. is wonderful and whatnot but the way the writing has to bend to fit her in every scene, not at the police station, is ridiculous. Hell even a couple episodes ago they made a way to get her in there too.

- Jane and Maura just hang out w. Jane's mother now?

- Can we have some believable, not comical, stories for the supporting cast. The tech girl, who's name I can't remember, what is her backstory. Maybe stop spending so much time on Angela and we'd find out. 

- Maura is a medical examiner ... not a crime scene investigator. It's glaring that she's doing more than what the character's profession entails. 

I'm just bored and irritated w. this show. So much so that I DVR just to watch later a.k.a to FF through. 

• Love 3

I missed chunks of it here and there, so I'll have to catch the repeat next week.  There was one thing I wanted to comment on, but of course it left my mind overnight.

Why don't they stop having murders occur in the morning, so Jane and Maura can do their standard "Rizzoli" "Isles" opening scene while out to lunch, or doing something after work, instead of opening every damn episode with Jane at Maura's in the morning with no explanation?  It mostly cracks me up that they don't even bother trying, but it also distracts me.

I thought the witness was an endearing character, but otherwise the episode was rather plodding.  And, yeah, that elevator scene went on way too long.

• Love 3

I also kept waiting for there to be something nefarious happen with the guy guarding the witness, like a bad guy would manage to come in and wear the hat (making Bud Light guy think he could trust him) and follow through with trying to kill him. They made a point of showing that the hat was still on every time they showed the safe house.

• Love 5

I liked the way Bud Light Guy recognized Jane (her voice when she was wearing Maura's lab coat, the way she walks with one leg longer (and Jane trying to self correct, and Maura saying she should see a doctor and get her leg lengthened), and some comment about recognizing her hair).

Although i'd still like to know why the killer (who smells like a hookah bar) didn't just kill Bud Liight after accidentally killing the bargain hunting mom. And why does the guy smell lioke a hookah bar? Is it because the drugs he deals (and pprobably uses) smell like a hookah bar - and how does the guy who barely goes anywhere know what a hookah bar smells like?

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't get over that they didn't even mention Suzie once. They did such a nice sendoff for Frost (yes, I know his was a real world tragic death and had more impact, but in the fictional world of R&I, Suzie should have been mourned at least at some level).

So they thought they might get the drug dealer on tax evasion? I think not - that's a federal crime. The Feds would have to be involved in his takedown.

I kind of liked the cousin. I hoped he wouldn't live down to their expectations. He had some charisma. I liked that Maura was both trusting and smart. Of course, slipping on oil on those mats would have been virtually impossible to do in any case.

The actual murder mystery was a touch boring.

I thought the elevator scene was setting up Frankie trying to make time with the new detective, but she would think he lived with his mother (based on the phone call) and wouldn't want anything to do with him. Of course, even though he doesn't actually live with Angela, his family and their lack of boundaries should make any woman run for the hills.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

Refresh my memory.... doesn't Angela live in the GUESTHOUSE?  Why isn't she entertaining her cousin there rather than in Maura's main house?  Why isn't Jane visiting her Mom there rather than in Maura's main house? How does Angela even know when Jane is there to come over to the main house to visit?  Of course, that wouldn't give Jane and Maura reasons to be in the same room every off work minute possible. Why don't they just have Jane move into Maura's with an explanation of her apartment being condemned and she doesn't have time to hunt up another one?  

Not that I want to see them, but where is Tommy, Lydia and the grandbaby?

Must we have 15 new characters every week?

• Love 3

Wow was Lorraine Bracco more annoying than ever this episode. Yelling at Frankie that he needs to get to Maura's after she yelled at Jane. Hello, they are police officers they are working. What does she expect them to go tell their superior I have to go my mommy called ranting like a lunatic over nothing!

• Love 5

So after all their freak outs, they let Maura greet Carlo alone. I loved that she was clearly and justifiably pissed about that. She regularly opens her door to their family shit but this time she was entertaining a scam artist cousin by herself after they had 'prepared' her house to the point of her feeling insulted. Then Angela comes home and before she can even get out of the room, Angela promptly pisses her off again by telling a guest in Maura's home that he couldn't go to the bathroom. Even tone deaf Angela knew she'd overstepped. Rudeness to a guest in her own home is Maura's line in the sand. The best part was that Maura finally showed a line in the sand with regards to her house.

Did Maura say she put up the cameras because of Carlo? Or did she just turn on part of her security system? After her house was torn apart a couple of seasons ago surely she has a major system. Maura needs to print up signs that say "I'm trusting; I'm not stupid" on them. Jane and Angela frequently seem to forget that.

I never realized Maura's house had a second story. It makes a lot more sense but I don't ever remember seeing stairs or hearing a reference to it. I now want another of her appliances though. Maura telling Jane not to use the energy saving setting not because of some list of facts but because it annoyed her was probably my favorite part of the whole ep. It balanced out my cringe moment when Maura pulled a zeppoli out of her black leather Birkin somewhat.

I was surprised by how much it bothered Jane that one of her legs were longer. That's a bit of vanity she doesn't often show. I really liked the scene with Maura that followed it though. I enjoyed how playful Maura and Jane were in general this ep. Sometimes best friends get you through the hard times. Sometimes they bring out the 12 year old in you.

So Carlo's plan was basically to scare Maura into writing a check to him, right? I know he mentioned her insurance but it seems like it would be really hard (and expensive) to prove fault on Maura here. Plus he has a stupid history and a sketchy injury. He's clearly done this too many times to be that stupid.

I can't get over that they didn't even mention Suzie once. They did such a nice sendoff for Frost (yes, I know his was a real world tragic death and had more impact, but in the fictional world of R&I, Suzie should have been mourned at least at some level).

So they thought they might get the drug dealer on tax evasion? I think not - that's a federal crime. The Feds would have to be involved in his takedown.

...The actual murder mystery was a touch boring.

I agree but I feel like no one we saw would have actually mourned her but Maura. Since we didn't get to see Kent or anyone else in the lab this ep and no one mentioned her, I'm not surprised that Maura didn't bring it up. Besides, she was too busy dealing with the latest drama the Rizzolis drug into her house.

ITA with the rest. It was nice to have an ep where I liked Jane again though. That hasn't happened much this season which is disappointing.

Did Maura say she put up the cameras because of Carlo? Or did she just turn on part of her security system?

Maura said that she had taken "precautions." So I guess there was a camera in the downstairs bathroom.
  • Love 3
It balanced out my cringe moment when Maura pulled a zeppoli out of her black leather Birkin somewhat.

My heart skipped at first, but then Maura pulled out the zipper baggie holding the zeppolis. If she's allowed food that wasn't firmly bagged to possibly come in contact with the handbag lining, I would have completely plotzed.

• Love 2
(edited)

Plus he has a stupid history and a sketchy injury. He's clearly done this too many times to be that stupid.

My family has wondered the exact same thing about the two aunts that kept showing up

or calling up to try and scam us out of money.  No matter how great the visit or call is

going, its going to happen. Somehow they think we've forgotten about all of the other

times they've tried to scam us, which is every time, or how they always get a no. They

also seem surprised that the rest of the family fills each other in on their current scam.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2

That's what I kept waiting for, from Maura at least. Instead it was all, Suzie who?

• Love 1