Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Behind The Red Door

A dangerous Naval officer becomes the key to Philip and Elizabeth’s mission as well as a potential threat to their family's safety. Lucia, a Sandinista intelligence officer working with the Jennings, is tasked with getting Elizabeth access to Capitol Hill. Stan struggles with the potential costs of protecting Nina.

Original Airdate: April 2, 2014

I have to agree. It felt as though several scenes had been cut. And the little bit we saw of "Claudia" was particularly disappointing-- as  if, 'oh! we can bring MM back from that god-awful comedy she's on for a couple of scenes, let's squeeze her in!'

I thought it was solid for a lot of reasons. First, you can see how getting shot has really changed Elizabeth. Watching movies and shows, you'd think getting shot happens to spies all the time. But so far this season you can see how everything has changed with her. And was cracking up when she was quizzing Phillip in the kitchen about Clark, and him working so hard to keep things separate. And then when he acquiesced, it went badly, quickly. 

I think one of the themes they've decided on this year is that these aren't games -- these are events that mess with people's lives. The Sandinista girl having to kill her "boyfriend," Claudia knowing she probably set up her agents to be killed, and knowing that means she'll end up dead herself. And Elizabeth, who I'm sure has had to deal with rough doggie style sex before in order to get someone, suddenly has her own past flashing over her because she actually cares about her partner. Not to mention Stan, who was dumb enough to screw his mole, and then to try to decide the length he'll have to go to in order to save her. One thing I really appreciate on this show is that it makes it clear that nothing is easy, and that's a POV that's been missing from a lot of spy stories. 

• Love 5

I thought this was one of the best episodes from all angles, the spy angle and the human relationships one. The stuff between Philip and Elizabeth as they work to find a deeper level of honesty and communication was just gold.

Yeah, I thought the episode was excellent. I like that they're starting to show the toll the job has taken on Phillip, Elizabeth, and even Claudia. Like, you can sort of tell that for years, Elizabeth was able to compartmentalize her pain and fear, but now that she's been shot and fallen in love with Phillip, she can't keep those feelings down. Like her cover as the grad student who'd been raped, in the same way she herself was. Like her trying to protect Lucia from having to first have sex with and then having to kill the Congressional Aide. And I think she sort of knew what she was asking for when she wanted Phillip to be Clark, but it's like she NEEDS to confront these feelings now. That scene though...oof. I just wonder where this will take her. Will she resent the Motherland/Centre for putting them in these positions? Will she hate the US even more, for the same reason?

Also liked the revelation that Arkady knows Oleg is going after Beeman. (That was a revelation, right?)

• Love 2

When Elizabeth says she wants to do it with Clark, he should have said "But Jennifer, you're my sister."  Maybe that wouldn't have stopped her so he didn't go there

• Love 5

I thought this was an excellent episode.

When Elizabeth told Phillip that Martha had told her about sex with "Clark", he had an expression on his face that made me fear for Martha even more than I had before. When time comes to tie up her loose end, I don't think he's going to show much mercy.

Note to Elizabeth:  Be careful what you wish for.  Yikes.

Claudia!  What the **** happened to you, man? S***, your ass used to be beautiful! 

Claudia is a seasoned woman who has risen through the cold hard ranks of the KGB to a position of absolute trust and responsibility, which made it such a sad moment when she admitted that she had blown her own cover and put everyone in danger.  A lonely business indeed.  She's tired.  She's done.

Stan, Stan, Stan.  Nina told Stan early on that thinking like a spy was different from thinking like law enforcement, but he didn't really "get it."  Gaad does "get it," and I think that he has always known, on some level, that Nina has been working Stan.  When Gaad told Stan that he didn't want hear anything more, I think it finally sunk in that he really was in over his head.  He still doesn't believe that Nina's working him, but he knows he's in trouble.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wonder why it never occurred to Elizabeth that what Martha considers "wild" in bed may not be on par with what she considers it to be. Martha could think that anything not in missionary position is wild. But instead Elizabeth got so hung up on this idea of wild sex with Clark and really made the whole situation bad for both of them.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2

I wonder why it never occurred to Elizabeth that what Martha considers "wild" in bed may not be on par with what she considers it to be. Martha could think that anything not in missionary position is wild. But instead Elizabeth got so hung up on this idea of wild sex with Clark and really made the whole situation bad for both of them.

That's a good point. As Elizabeth learned, what's "hot" to one person can be very much the wrong thing for another. Stil, I hope this comes up again because it raises so many great issues for them as a couple that could lead to a greater level of honesty and intimacy. It wasn't that what they tried was the problem itself, but rather that it exposed a problem that's been there for a long time in their relationship--that they just don't communicate about deeply personal issues.

Yeah, I thought Martha's revelation of Clark being a wild animal was her denial that the marriage is a wreck. It didn't ring true but she wanted Clark's sister to think that everything was great with them.  I think that's why Philip kept avoiding talking about it and when he finally had had enough of Elizabeth's begging things got ugly.  It was a difficult scene to watch.

I did laugh at the Congressional aide having sex while staring at the photo of Ronald Reagan.

I love this show but I'm getting tired of the FBI (particularly Stan) being shown as so inept.

• Love 1

I really wanted to see more of the Rezidentura crew this episode. Despite it's brevity, it was confirmed that Arkady is in on the whole thing. So what's the end game? There is some interesting discussion on the TWOP forums (rip) about potentially turning Stan. However, I really can't see Stan working for the Russians. He loves his job and his country, and I can't see him giving that up for Nina. I'm really anxious to find out Nina's fate. Annet Mahendru is stunning, and I couldn't imagine not seeing her on the show. Honestly I think she's working Stan, Oleg, and Arkady. Possible new head of the Rezidentura?

It was really interesting seeing the dynamics of P&Es relationship explored. Obviously they've got some communication issues to be solved. Did anyone else notice that Philip came home as "Clark?" Aren't they running the risk of Paige and Henry seeing him? I'm sure the youth group would have something to say about that. I felt really bad for the kids this episode. Although I don't enjoy watching them as much as I enjoy watching all the spy stuff, I want to see P&E actually pay attention to them. Lately the spy stuff has been put before the kids, and I'm sure there will be some backlash from that.

Overall, it was another great episode.

• Love 1

I really liked this episode, liked the Elizabeth/Lucia mentoring, both Elizabeth and Phillip struggling with their double lives, pretty much everything until I got to the end. What? It was well played in that Elizabeth seemed as baffled as I was. Why did Claudia push P+E so hard to find the mole when she knew she had put them in danger in the first place. WTF?

I'm really tired of Stan and although I enjoy the Rezidentura totally scamming him left right and center, after this week he's just gotten lame in his assitude.

• Love 1
(edited)

Did anyone else notice that Philip came home as "Clark?" Aren't they running the risk of Paige and Henry seeing him?

I could be wrong, but I had the feeling that the Clark/Elizabeth assignation wasn't taking place in their own home, but in a motel room somewhere, which they had rented for the purpose of the role-playing. It just didn't look like their home or their bedroom to me.

Now, just so I can get clear on something: So, Claudia had an affair with someone, and then blew her cover (which, actually, is pretty unbelievable to me--not the affair, but that she'd blow her cover). How did that lead to the murder of the agents? In addition to blowing her own cover, did she (unbelievably) also tell this lover the identity of all her sleeper agents? Why would she do that? And does this revelation clear up who did the murders? Like, can we conclude that it must be America, because there's no cover to blow as far as the Centre is concerned?

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1
I could be wrong, but I had the feeling that the Clark/Elizabeth assignation wasn't taking place in their own home, but in a motel room somewhere, which they had rented for the purpose of the role-playing. It just didn't look like their home or their bedroom to me.

I think that was Clark's apartment that was mentioned a few episodes ago. He probably goes there after leaving Martha just in case she follows him.

• Love 1

I have a question: the man who was calling the Jennings in this episode and the one before and who we saw listening in on Martha's phone call to Clark in an earlier episode, was that Gaad or someone else? I'm having a hard time identifying him; he looks a lot like Gaad, but from the way the scene is shot I could never get a good look at his face.

(edited)

He's their contact at the Center. He calls to clue them in that their handler wants to meet with them. I guess he also monitors Clark's phone.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

Great episode, very intense. I can't believe Claudia did that!

The roleplay scene was hard to watch. The moment Elizabeth started with her questions and comments I thought "girl, don't go there". They need to find a new balance between their relationship and their job as spies.

And I wonder what's Nina going to do. I'm not sure she can go back to Stan without the polygraph test. I usually don't like Stan, but now he's in an interesting situation and the scene where he was having dinner with his family made me feel very sorry for him. 

I thought the guy who was with Lucia was just a dumb jerk but then he talked about his mom... Man, poor guy. I'm sorry Lucia had to kill him.

I like Lucia, murderings aside. I think she and the new handler have potential. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I thought Martha's revelation of Clark being a wild animal was her denial that the marriage is a wreck. It didn't ring true but she wanted Clark's sister to think that everything was great with them. 

I think Martha was sincere in believing that, but she's definitely in denial too. And I know there's a difference in how she perceives it versus how the audience (knowing Clark is using her) perceives it, but we could see earlier that very evening she was getting drunk and leaving upset messages on Clark's form, starting to threaten/manipulate him with the threat of exposing him on the application to try to regain some power over her situation. And then there was the accusation he's always in a hurry to leave. I think she's kind of desperate to cling to anything that might "prove" Clark's feelings for her are real and it's not that nagging doubt she's having more and more trouble shouting down in the back of her mind.

He's their contact at the Center. He calls to clue them in that their handler wants to meet with them. I guess he also monitors Clark's phone.

I think he's the same guy from the basement with all the phones in season one. He probably does play the role of contacting them sometimes when it's an emergency rather than their usual time to check the radio, and I think he also has all the phone lines and answering machines for the fake numbers the Jennings give out. Like "Clark's" phone number and answering machine surely go down there, and he gets all the messages and passes them on to Philip when he calls in. Or if there's an urgent situation, he can call their house directly under some ruse like the delivery service.

• Love 1

I'm 1000% certain it wasn't Gaad, but rather a character we haven't met before.

Gosh, I was certain that Gaad was up to something. It was definitely something spy-ish; it would be too television-verite for it to be a telemarketer, and besides, that was a phenomenon of the 90s.  I wonder if it was a secret sign for Elizabeth to rendezvous with someone.

Oh, the 80's cliche of the coked-up GOP staffer. We almost had a Bret Easton Ellis movie going on.

• Love 1

This was a really good episode. I just love this show. The way P+E's relationship is changing is fascinating to watch. Elizabeth held Phillip at arm's length for many years, and now that she is letting herself get closer to him, it's harder for her to keep all the different parts of her life compartmentalized. It's like what she and Phillip do, and what they're involved in, has become more real to her. Before, it seemed like she approached everything as if she were playing a role, which makes sense, because their entire existence consists of playing roles of one kind or another, and presenting a facade to their kids and the rest of the world.

Phillip is clearly getting sick of having to deal with Martha. When Elizabeth referred to her as Phillip's "wife," he was very quick to correct her and say, "She's not my wife." Poor Martha.

Has it been stated why Claudia is leaving and/or is no longer P+E's handler? I have missed that somewhere along the way. This makes me sad if it's the end of Margo Martindale on this show. She is so fantastic.

(edited)

Has it been stated why Claudia is leaving and/or is no longer P+E's handler? I have missed that somewhere along the way. This makes me sad if it's the end of Margo Martindale on this show. She is so fantastic.

I think that since she admitted she blew her cover to her lover she knew she was done for. The Center will likely either have her sent back to Russia and punished some how or just kill her. I think that's why she said goodbye the way that she did to Elizabeth.

I love MM as well and really wanted her to stay on this show (I would have loved for her to stay on Justified as well) but it seems like her new sitcom is doing okay (though I don't watch it so have no opinion as to whether its good or not) but maybe she has scheduling conflicts now.

Edited by Rapunzel

Thank you! That makes sense, I was wondering why they wouldn't talk about these suspicious phone calls, especially after the other couple got killed. I never considered that it was a message for them.

They had a brief throw away line last episode from the blonde handler that P&E requested someone new.

Yeah, and that started even at the end of last season too. They got fed up after all the meddling in their personal lives, but the "spy reason" they used was they didn't trust her so they radioed the Center and asked for her to be replaced. In "The Colonel" Claudia tells Elizabeth she's being sent back to Moscow but it was left up in the air whether that would actually happen.

Phillip is clearly getting sick of having to deal with Martha. When Elizabeth referred to her as Phillip's "wife," he was very quick to correct her and say, "She's not my wife."

It's hard to blame him. They're out at all hours doing spy work and he still has to reserve a night or two every week (and undoubtedly phone calls) to maintaining a false romance with a woman he doesn't care for. It's one thing to have to do it for a night, or even a few weeks, but it would be so draining to have to keep it up for a year. Philip and Elizabeth really probably just want easy nights home with the kids relaxing!

Plus, that was the second dig Elizabeth had made about it... I think it was starting to get under his skin.

• Love 1

Martha is a weirdo. If someone told me my brother was "an animal in the sack" I'd never talk to them again.

That was definitely a strange thing to do. You can tell Martha doesn't really have friends, it would seem.

• Love 1

I find Claudia's "betrayal" hard to believe too. Having an affair - even one she didn't tell "Centre" about - sure, she's lonely and maintaining your cover 24/7 is (presumably) wearing. But to admit she was a KGB officer - well that seems unlikely. But if that was the "leak" that led to the agents' death, presumably the whole affair was a set up and the KGB need to extract her ASAP - she's more than just "burned", she's a complete liability.

Ahh Elizabeth - I'd have thought you were old/experienced enough to know to "be careful what you wish for." I presume that's why we got the scene of them in bed together - they're comfortable together (plus the whole Fanservice aspect, of course!) but it isn't exciting. Although I'd have thought a "boring" sex life would be a nice contrast to their "work" sex life, which is presumably more "innovative." Philip seems to hate being "Clark" and I think he took some of that frustration out on Elizabeth - yes she did (literally) ask for it and he did apologise afterward, but that was as close to a rape as you can portray and still be a protagonist (even a Villain Protagonist).

Rapbert The man who was calling the Jennings in this episode and the one before and who we saw listening in on Martha's phone call to Clark in an earlier episode.

It was clearly a code phrase - Elizabeth has taken a call for "Miss Jennings" and replied "No, it's Mrs Jennings" before which is presumably something like "Meeting tomorrow/We'll be there".

• Love 1

Philip seems to hate being "Clark" and I think he took some of that frustration out on Elizabeth - yes she did (literally) ask for it and he did apologise afterward, but that was as close to a rape as you can portray and still be a protagonist (even a Villain Protagonist).

I don't believe he apologized at all, nor did he have anything to apologize for. Elizabeth apologized, and I was glad to see her having some recognition of what she'd done and the realization she had pressured him into a sexual situation he wanted no part of.

I don't see that scene as even related to rape. Rape is about power over a victim. I think it's important not to confuse rough consensual sex or a certain positioning during consensual sex with rape.

• Love 2

Agreed. That scene is so hard to talk about, but I think it's unequivocally not rape. I think Elizabeth wanted him to "be Clark" because subconsciously she was processing her rape, for the first time in her life. She thought she wanted that type of sex, but once it happened, she realized her mistake, and I think she realized the reason she'd demanded it in the first place. That's why she asked him if he was OK afterward (and then he was quick to say, yes, are you OK?). Because she knew he didn't want to do that, and he felt terrible that he'd been a part of her reliving that. It was a heartbreaking moment, but not one borne out of violence.

I also don't actually think that Clark is like that in bed. From what we've seen of him with Martha, they seem to have fairly standard sex, unless one considers oral really wild, which I suspect Martha does.

• Love 1
I also don't actually think that Clark is like that in bed. From what we've seen of him with Martha, they seem to have fairly standard sex, unless one considers oral really wild, which I suspect Martha does.

Actually, we've seen Clark and Martha having exactly this kind of sex, same position, same tone etc. Only Martha was screaming happily through it. That's just what she liked about it and what she was describing to Jennifer. When Elizabeth said it didn't seem like Martha wouldn't go for the aggressive type etc., she was just wrong and assuming that because Martha's kind of prim at first glance her sexual tastes must also be vanilla. Philip knows her better--and created Clark to completely conform to her emotional/sexual fantasies.

• Love 2

Oleg The budding capitalist puts the screws to Stan and I am not quite sure who to root for.    I thought the entire meeting was Larrick was extremely well done.  You get alot of information of Larrick in what amount to a five minute scene.  He is a dangerous man who might not have killed Emmett  and Leanne but he was close to it.  He figured out what town they lived in.  That they were married.  He was two or three meeting away from killing them. "Someone" just beat him to it.  I am a bit surprised that P&E didn't kill him anyway but then he did give them vital intel without knowing it.   So there is that.  Plus they could double triple run him.  Dangerous man but he did give them that Martial Eagle thing.  

Ahhh computer.  They make treason easy right Stan?  

I know its been a source of debate but I did like Elizabeth's Jealousy over Martha.  Even though Philip is only seeing her as a source it must eat at her that she must share him so much.  Having Philip spend so much time with another woman and then to hear that other woman describe their sex life must have east away at Elizabeth's defenses even if only for a moment.    Elizabeth was equal parts snippy and intrigued by the idea of Clark being a wild animal with Martha.   Which he is.  That's the thing there sex has always been wild but it keeps the relationship from being truly intimate the kind of intimate he has with Elizabeth.  Yes you can have both but Philip tends to be a wild animal with his sources.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎.‎4‎.‎2014 at 0:45 AM, dramachick said:

Stan, Stan, Stan.  Nina told Stan early on that thinking like a spy was different from thinking like law enforcement, but he didn't really "get it."  

That. She asked whether he wanted to put the spies to prison (act like a cop) or turn them (act like a counter-spy officer).

Stan is too emotional and personal for a good spy handler. In order to revenge the killing of his partner (unfortunately he didn't know it was an accident as he out of jealousy spied Clark/Philip when he visited Martha), he killed Nina's friend and he's gonna pay for it as she can't forgive it.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎.‎4‎.‎2014 at 5:34 PM, bengeee said:

There is some interesting discussion on the TWOP forums (rip) about potentially turning Stan. However, I really can't see Stan working for the Russians. He loves his job and his country, and I can't see him giving that up for Nina. 

As was shown with Karla in John le Carré's trilogy, anyone can be turned. 

Watching for the first time. It seems Stan is going to let himself be pressured into giving Oleg information. But the obvious move for Stan is to try to exfiltrate Nina and end the operation. He mentioned he couldn’t do that because her family would be killed, but that doesn’t make sense - the end game was always to exfiltrate her. Are we supposed to assume he doesn’t want to exfiltrate her because he doesn’t want to stop seeing her? He’s pathetic and making the wrong decisions when he still has a solid chance to get out of this ok.