Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

UO, I guess, but I actually thought Tonya was quite pretty in her younger, competitive days.

Me too. Amy Adams has been said to be the perfect choice for Tonya--or would've been about a decade or so ago--and she's gorgeous.

Same! Mirai's had a pretty consistent season so hopefully she can perform at Worlds as well as she did at Four Continents. Wouldn't it be something if she were the one to break the US ladies' medal drought this year.

If she medals I will honestly be moved to tears. 

• Love 2

Totally shallow to start ... Kurt, you need to get rid of that stupid looking hat!!! 

Keeping my fingers crossed for Andrew and Kaitlyn.  I may have a tiny crush (okay large crush) on Andrew.  I haven't had a chance to watch the dance yet, but am looking forward to it.  Good coverage from CBC today!  As for the men, I may have to watch the long program.  The short was exciting and unpredictable.  Lots of surprises and few clean skates.

Watching the Worlds makes me sad there aren't more head to head competitions throughout the year.  It would be nice to see these competitors competing against each other more often instead of the Grande Prix circuit where some skaters may compete once or twice against each other and that's it.

Shibs into second and Chock and Bates in third after the short dance! Excellent, especially considering this is probably the US only realistic shot at a medal, unless we see some REAL home cooking scores in the other disciplines....or Gracie or Ashley skate out of their minds and one of them sneaks in there for a medal. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

But strange that Ice Dancing will finish first. Maybe I'm just used to Pairs being first out of the gate.

Looks like the Shibs will skate last. This could be a good thing. The Coldplay routine is a crowd pleaser and they'll be skating in front of a home crowd. If they skate like they did at Nationals, they could bring the house down. Go Shibs!

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

I have Comcast and recorded the SHort Dance on Ch. 37 and am I going crazy or is Tracy Davidson freakin' babbling and talking over the music?  Ben Agosto is making some key points but then Tracy just starts droning on.  The chick needs to seriously shut up!

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 2

I caught some of the men's short program broadcast on NBCSN tonight. I liked Ryan Bradley's commentary. His voice is somewhat squeaky and his delivery a bit languid, but he was insightful and technical and not over-excitable like Scott Hamilton or catty like Johnny Weir. Not sure if pairing him with another slow talker in Tracy Wilson was the best choice :) but I hope he gets more commentating gigs.

Yuzuru Hanyu's short was ridiculous. So effortless and so difficult.

I've yet to watch the short dances but I'm thrilled that the ShibSibs are up in 2nd place!

• Love 1

I still don't get Anna Pogorilaya, but I can't argue with her placement this time since the human zamboni didn't make an appearance. If Wagner and Gold bring it in the long like they did today, that would be something. The level of competition among the top 8 is great; I haven't been this interested in the women's competition in a good few years.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying the extensive coverage on NBCSN, but I find it irritating that Tracy Wilson mispronounces so many competitors' names. I wish she would be more professional and take the time to familiarize herself with all the names, but no, she just keeps blundering on, butchering the pronunciation.

• Love 5

Yikes. When will figure skating stop with the Holocaust routines? This is really not the format for that. I'm glad they were quickly knocked down by the other Italians.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm enjoying the extensive coverage on NBCSN, but I find it irritating that Tracy Wilson mispronounces so many competitors' names. I wish she would be more professional and take the time to familiarize herself with all the names, but no, she just keeps blundering on, butchering the pronunciation.

She's like the anti-Johnny Weir with his overly perfect Russian pronounciations.

Strange that I feel disappointed for the Shibs, even though this is a personal best for them! A silver at World's! What a season! Awesome job, and by Chock and Bates, as well.

I wondered where Chanflation went...hey look! It's now....Papadakiflation? Note to Douche Moir, do you really think you'll be the alpha dogs in that rink in Montreal? Uhh....no.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

She's like the anti-Johnny Weir with his overly perfect Russian pronounciations.

Strange that I feel disappointed for the Shibs, even though this is a personal best for them! A silver at World's! What a season! Awesome job, and by Chock and Bates, as well.

I wondered where Chanflation went...hey look! It's now....Papadakiflation? Note to Douche Moir, do you really think you'll be the alpha dogs in that rink in Montreal? Uhh....no.

This is what I just don't understand about them; they're going right back into a situation that they apparently hated the first time around. They've made it clear they don't like to share, and that they believe they deserve all their coaches' attention, I hope they're not expecting that in Montreal. I think a message was sent to them tonight; don't expect anything simply because you're V/M.

• Love 4
(edited)

Plus, I noticed that the #3 Canadian team, who didn't qualify to skate last night (finished 23rd), are also coached by Marie France and Company. So, who's going to get knocked off the podium and the World team when Virtue and Moir return? Their up and coming training mates? Awkward. I can't see how this situation is any different than the years they spent in the same barn with Davis and White and the Shibutani's. 

My guess is that Montreal is the new up and coming  "it" place to be right now for Ice Dance. Canton-Ann Arbor is old news, as far as what people are talking about. Not to say that they're suffering in Canton and Ann Arbor. They seem to be doing just fine. Montreal is the "new thing." V and M want to be where the attention is greater and the spot light is brightest. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars

Ah...it's good to be back here post ice dance competition at Worlds (as opposed to Golden Skates or Skatefans forums where they're swooning galore over the French team).  First of all Tracy Wilson needs to go back to Canada and commentate for CBC.  Why can't American networks hire retired American skaters?  Lord knows those folks could use the glory (and the salaries!).  Tracy even called Evan Bates "Alan".  She was really messing up names in the SD & FD.  Ben Agosto was so good, letting us know what to look for so we'd understand why certain teams didn't fare so well. And Ryan Bradley also did a good job commentating for ladies (but why have a male retired skater covering the women?).  I think Ben, Ryan and Tanith should replace the silly Tara and Johnny.

The Shibutanis SD & FD were golden IMO.  No OTT angst.  No depressing music. No desperate clutching at each other.  Pure gold and uplifting to watch.  Loved Capellini & Lanotte's FD (not their SD...very dull, so atypical of them).  It featured the music from that funny Italian film from the 60's or 70's (8-1/2??) and the choreography matched the music.  Toward the end it looked like Capellini was tap dancing to the music...I laughed out loud.  Love them & wish they were on the podium instead of the strange Chock & Bates (he still looks bent over the entire time he's skating w/ his very short partner).  I felt so badly for Weaver & Poje. Maybe they need to switch coaches and choreographers.  They have such long lines, both are tall and look beautiful together on the ice. Something needs to be fixed here. The #1 Russian team at Worlds, Sinitsina & Nikita K--gosh he's beautiful & such an expressive skater. Lots of folks wish he was still with his former partner but IMO it doesn't make any difference.  He's the one you watch because he knows how to use his upper body & he must've had ballet lessons (& excelled at them) at some time in his life. Loved the Israelis. Gorgeous costumes, gorgeous music (can't spell the name of P.....Dances...the middle part was used in Take My Hand I'm a Stranger in Paradise) and gorgeous skaters.  I've never seen them before (no surprise since we hardly get to see any skating these days on TV).  Hubble & Donohue's SD of Hallelujah was sublime...but found their FD to be a downer (altho' well skated). The #2 Italian team are fantastic skaters but geez laweeze...can't Schindler's List be retired?  She was in a 1930's gray dress and a scarf on her head and he was in gray pants and a white shirt that had "dirt" in various places on it.  Did they escape from Auschwitz and are now skating for joy?  It was very weird watching them when you wanted to feel excited about their incredible skating (the lifts were amazing) but were depressed thinking about who they represented.  And the gold medal winners...I just don't get them other than that they're excellent ice dancers.  Both programs she was clinging to him with her long skinny arms, a tragic look of angst on her face.  And in their SD they approached center ice the same way V/M always did, totally engrossed in each other, letting us know they were "one" and all that goofiness. So now I'm getting ready to watch pairs SP. Gee whiz...I love seeing all this skating on NBCSN.  It's a whole new world, seeing skaters I've never seen before (or programs from well known skaters that I've never seen before since NBC hardly shows anything).  Arrivaderci for now (love C/L to pieces!!)

• Love 5

I greatly enjoyed the FDs of all 3 of the medal winners and would have been okay with any of them taking the gold.  I've only seen last yr's & this yr's FD for the French pair so obviously they do ethereal extremely well.  I don't know how they would do with tango or polka or light/humor (such as Cap & Lanotte FD.)  It always seems like heavy drama wins over light/humor.  I do find P&C to be very well matched physically and have beautiful lines.  I didn't see them appear to strain at all at their difficult moves--they really made it seem effortless.  I'm definitely no expert, but I don't see a weakness in this team that the others can attack.  Chock and Bates have too great a height difference and the Shibs don't have the lines of P&C and can't do romantic programs.  I can see P&C waltzing right into a coronation at the 2018 Olympics.  V&M definitely will have their work cut out for them!  (PS:  I also loved the Israeli team and did not like the Schindler's List FD at all.  She seemed to be doing all these "ta da" movements that really looked out of place to me!)

As much as I love Yuzu's skating, I kinda hate it when the gold medal is sewn up at the short program.  For the first time ever, I am rooting for Patrick Chan to come back and win!

• Love 2

First of all Tracy Wilson needs to go back to Canada and commentate for CBC

CBC doesn't want her - thanks but no thanks.  She usually does commentary with Rod Black on CTV.  The two networks seem to alternate their coverage - not sure how it's decided.  I've never noticed her having problems with names previously so now I'll have to listen for it the next time she's on with Rod Black.

That was an exciting men's competition. It shouldn't be so surprising that Hanyu couldn't top the impossibly high bar he's set this season, and yet...

Watching Fernandez skate like he did with nothing to lose was something else. This is the first season I've really started to enjoy his skating beyond the jumps, so it was great to see him defend his title successfully.

I can't complain too much about Boyang Jin placing 3rd, since his technical content is bananas difficult (and Patrick Chan really didn't deliver when he needed to), but watching his program felt...blah. I'll be interested to see if his PCS game reaches his technical.

And super impressed with box Max Aaron and Adam Rippon. And that Adam had the 4th highest scoring program of the night. My expectations for them were low, since consistency isn't what they're known for. It's disappointing that the U.S. only gets two spots for the men's competition at next year's worlds.

The kid from Latvia had some nice moves and just plain good skating skills. Too bad he couldn't maintain for the whole program.

• Love 3

Several of the men skating tonight were IMO uninteresting.  Jump, skate to set up another jump, a few headshakes, jump.  The guys who really impressed me were Javier (of course!!), Aaron Rippon (yay...at long last a clean skate at World's), and Shoma Uno.  I can see Uno as a future champion.  He's got the jumps but he also thoughtfully made use of the in-between moves. Also liked the skater from Latvia--he was quite entertaining. I wish someone would provide Max with a more suitable program to show off artistry without looking as though he's faking it or just going through the motions.  Maybe something with jazz or R&B music.  He doesn't need to be skating to Swan Lake.  The US needs to make use of his strong skating skills.  Javier was THE best. He did the jumps but he entertained as if he were in a show and as we know, that's what figure skating is all about, what sets it apart from other sports. I'm so glad he held onto his title.

I'm so weary of Tara & Johnny babbling nonstop.  During Brezina's skate I had to hit the mute.  I may complain about Tracy but at least she and Ryan kept their comments to a minimum during each skater's performance.  Who needs to hear all this backstage gossip or chitchat while they're skating?

• Love 3

I wish someone would provide Max with a more suitable program to show off artistry without looking as though he's faking it or just going through the motions. Maybe something with jazz or R&B music. He doesn't need to be skating to Swan Lake.

I absolutely agree; that was painful to watch.

Javier was THE best. He did the jumps but he entertained as if he were in a show and as we know, that's what figure skating is all about, what sets it apart from other sports. I'm so glad he held onto his title.

After watching the emoting of the dance competition, the men's competition seemed so blah. And then Javi lit up the venue! He just looked like he was enjoying himself, didn't he?

• Love 3

Great performance from Javi.  Very glad the judges did not reward a flawed Yuzu over Javi.  I'd have had Rippon finish above Chan, which I think would have given the US men 3 spots next year. Really enjoyed Adam's performance--the best I've ever seen him! 

Okay, Jin Boyang might do 4 quads, but from what I've seen, they are rarely landed cleanly.  Would rather have seen Adam, Kolyada, or Shoma get the bronze.

Wonder how Nathan Chen would have done?  I hope he can come back strong!

• Love 4
(edited)

Kolyada reminds me so much of Ilia Kulik, down to the red cheeks when he finishes his program.

I would rather watch Shoma Uno with a fall than Boyang Jin landing four quads.

And Chan thinks it's the ice's fault that he finished fifth.

Edited by honeywest
  • Love 3
(edited)

Loved the mens' long skate. As a group they seem all so good natured - Max Aaron getting so pumped when Rippon did well, the other skaters bowing down when Fernandez finished.

I think the Russian kid was underscored. I loved his program.

Good for Weir for calling Chan out for whining about the ice quality.

I wanted to give Uno a hug. His poor coach trying to cheer him up with those tears rolling down his eyes.

I will jump up and down if Mirai does well. That poor kid has been treated so poorly by the USFSA.

[Edited because autospell changed Weir to "Weird", which just isn't nice.]

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm so proud of Javi and I loved the moment that Jin and Yuzuru were doing the 'we're not worthy' bow. 

I'm glad that the free skate made up for the short programs because outside of Yuzuru I was pretty unimpressed. 

Patrick Chan is such a fucking baby. I was actually rooting for him to bring it but he's such a whiner, I'm kind of over it. Two lackluster programs and he still places above Adam? Whatever. Again, falls in this sport are meaningless. Is there any other sport where people rack up points for falling on their asses? 

I hope Adam keeps it up. I'm so proud of him and would love it if he could get on the podium next year. 

Guys, I've been temporarily converted to Team Ashley since she's within striking distance. I will be thrilled if two American ladies manage to make the podium. Ashley may not be my favorite skater but I'm rooting for her to do well and I think it would be super sweet for American ladies to show the Russian ladies that they're still a force. 

Okay, Peng and Zhang? I knows she's 18 and he's 31, and that's bad enough, but she looks 12. He looks like he could be her (young) father. It gives me the skeeves.

That's exactly what it looks like to me. And I have no problem saying it--I don't even believe the Chinese when it comes to ages anyway. Not when it comes to this sport or gymnastics. She might very well be younger. 

I thought Sui and Han were great. They have the best twist in the world IMO. 

I'm not caught up on the dance yet but I did see the top four and I wish that the Shibs had won. I think they were all great though and am happy for everyone who medaled. 

ETA:

Just in case it isn't clear, I want Gracie to win!!

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 2
(edited)

It's amazing that just three seasons, a skate like that by Chan would have won (and did win) him a world title, hopefully those days are over. Javier is just wonderful, not only with technical content, but he's a true showman, his FS had everything and I was so happy to see it rewarded.

I will jump up and down if Mirai does well. That poor kid has been treated so poorly by the USFSA.

I don't really understand how she's been treated poorly? Mirai has  skated like crap since 2010 with just fleeting moments of success, and that's not the fault of the USFSA. I know some people think it was unfair that she was left off the Olympic team, but the fact she finished 10th in a depleted Four Continents field in 2014 is proof that putting her on the team over Wagner would have been a slap in the face to Ashley.

Now can someone tell me what in the world is going on with Tracy Wilson? She's usually my favorite commentator, but she sounds drunk, she has mispronounced everyone's name. Evan Bates became Alan Bates, and now Aliona Savchenko is now Aliona Savtenko.

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Love 1

It's amazing that just three seasons, a skate like that by Chan would have won (and did win) him a world title, hopefully those days are over. Javier is just wonderful, not only with technical content, but he's a true showman, his FS had everything and I was so happy to see it rewarded.

I don't really understand how she's been treated poorly? Mirai has  skated like crap since 2010 with just fleeting moments of success, and that's not the fault of the USFSA. I know some people think it was unfair that she was left off the Olympic team, but the fact she finished 10th in a depleted Four Continents field in 2014 is proof that putting her on the team over Wagner would have been a slap in the face to Ashley.

I agree that Mirai has been treated poorly and I thought it started early on with the favoritism they had for Rachael Flatt over her. 

I personally cut Mirai slack on 4cc2014. Who wouldn't be demoralized after something like that? She earned her spot and got to watch somebody who gave a bad performance get rewarded for it. Mirai had a better short (with a triple/triple) and a better long and it was basically meaningless. It totally gave the implication that they'd decided who they wanted to be on the team before the women skated so to me it seemed far from fair. 

• Love 1

Loved the mens' long skate. As a group they seem all so good natured -- Max Aaron getting so pumped when Rippon did well, the other skaters bowing down when Fernandez finished.

YES! I love displays of good sportsmanship. Which is why I thought Chan's pissy whining was so disgraceful. In contrast, seeing Max Aaron's enthusiastic reaction to Rippon's great performance was just a beautiful moment. 

I also agree with the person who said "I would rather watch Shoma Uno with a fall than Boyang Jin landing four quads." 

• Love 3
(edited)

IMO, if Mirai had made it to Worlds, been competitive at Nationals and successful on the Grand Prix, like Ashley, I could have understood taking her, but she hadn't been, she hadn't even been to worlds since 2010. I'm not even a fan of Ashley's, but she was a multiple GPF medalist, top five at Worlds, National Champion, several golds on the GP, Four Continents Champion, she earned her spot. Mirai's performance at 2014 Nationals was a fluke, her performance at 2014 Four Continents was more in line with how she had been skating the previous years.

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Love 3

So far three of last year's champions have defended their titles successfully. And good for Savchenko and Massot, winning bronze!

Tuktamysheva is my favorite of the Russian ladies; I wish she were back to defend her title. But I hope Ashley has a great skate.

• Love 1

IMO, if Mirai had made it to Worlds, been competitive at Nationals and successful on the Grand Prix, like Ashley, I could have understood taking her, but she hadn't been, she hadn't even been to worlds since 2010. I'm not even a fan of Ashley's, but she was a multiple GPF medalist, top five at Worlds, National Champion, several golds on the GP, Four Continents Champion, she earned her spot. Mirai's performance at 2014 Nationals was a fluke, her performance at 2014 Four Continents was more in line with how she had been skating the previous years.

To me that's sort of like saying that Mirai shouldn't have bothered to compete because Ashley already earned her spot before the competition even took place. Either the Nationals serve as an Olympic trials in an Olympic year or not. 

To me it basically felt like the committee was annoyed at Mirai (and Polina) for doing so well and messing up their plans as opposed to being ticked at Ashley for not delivering when it counted. 

It wouldn't have bothered me as much if Ashley were out of this world good and the team would have been in bad shape without her. IMO she's pretty much two footed her way through a big chunk of her career and has been lucky to skate in a US ladies field that hasn't been as top notch as it used to be. She was the favorite going in, she caved under the pressure, and that was the sign to the people in charge that she'll do well at the Olympics? Seriously? I guess. It's no mystery to me why multiple people in the sport felt that it was a shady move. 

That being said, I don't blame Ashley and I'm not mad at her for a decision that was out of her control. I just feel sorry for Mirai and agree with the general consensus that there is and always has been favoritism in this sport.

I also agree that Ashley is a hard worker and think it's nice that she's been recognized for her hard work and perseverance. I'll acknowledge too that she's made an effort to improve and not just maintain.

I think part of it for me is that I prefer Mirai's skating in general and think that she's a more natural talent. UR issues aside, I think that Mirai has some of the loveliest skills in the ladies field. Her forward Biellmann, her layback, ina bauer, spread eagle, etc. I feel like she has more standout moves than Ashley who to me doesn't really have a signature move. 

• Love 5

Fingers crossed that Ashley gets on the podium (and not for a pewter either!).  Re: pairs long program...yes indeed, Peng/Zhang look very (uncomfortably) odd together as if she's skating with her dad.  And he looked so stiff, lumbering around the rink.  Couldn't even recognize a Lori Nichols choreography it was so awful. Scimeca/Knierim managed a quad twist but landed/caught awkwardly.  They should've spent more time practicing other elements--pretty bad.  I thought she was having a nervous breakdown coming off the ice and in the K&C.  She looked beyond distraught.   Illushich.../Moskovitch are amazing for only being together such a short time.  They did a beautiful program and can only move on up through the ranks next year.  I really like Tarasova/Morozov, maybe because they looked so classic today, elegant costumes, skating to piano music (Chopin), every element performed beautifully.  Ryan said they are the future of Russian pairs skating. Sui/Han did a great quad twist.  Maybe the pressure was too much being in first place because they had some problems.  But I loved it when she skated through his legs--looked much snazzier than it sounds & the audience really liked it.  Unique pair spin again (I loathe pair spins, usually so dragged out & boring). Wow--Duhamel/Radford performed a throw quad salchow.  Then went on and did a triple toe + double toe + double toe.  Then a throw triple lutz.  Then an innovative pair spin, and on & on it went. A True Champions long program!  Savchenko/Massot are so cool for only skating together a couple of years.  They did a HUGE Triple Twist (wish I'd been sitting in the front row so I could've experienced the height).  They had unusual choreo/music.  Aliona 2 footed a throw triple lutz.  Their overhead lifts were stunning.  Their throw triple salchow was very good, very powerful.  She told someone that skating/practicing now is fun (as opposed to work when she skated before...hint hint).  And Voloszhar/Trankov should've gone out on a high note at Sochi.  He said he wanted to but he returned to competitive skating for her.  It wasn't a memorable program.

• Love 3

Patrick Chan is such a fucking baby. I was actually rooting for him to bring it but he's such a whiner, I'm kind of over it. Two lackluster programs and he still places above Adam? Whatever.

The same thing happened with him and Weir in Vancouver in 2010. Weir placed above him in short, but then Chan jumped over him in the long. I remember being annoyed by it (I thought Weir was better) and IIRC Weir sniped about it afterwards. Could be one of the reasons Weir ain't putting up with Chan's shit.

• Love 3

Haven't watched the mens' long yet, but it sounds like it's one big jumping contest yet again.  So boring.  It really stinks to hear that Patrick is whining.  He took a year off and now is complaining he's not top of the heap!?  Seriously buddy - not cool!

As for the pairs - watching always reminds me how strong and athletics these skaters are.  Imagine lifting someone up over your head while on a thin sharp blade and moving along the ice!  The women may look tiny, but they have to be muscular and fit to be able to do what they do.  The men are strong and fit and overly bulked up making their strength even more impressive.

While the age difference for the Chinese couple may be odd or creepy, it's not unusual as over the years some Russian couples have had the same thing.  I think this happens when guys decide they don't want to retire but their previous partners have had enough.  Sometimes they get "age appropriate" partners, but sometimes they couple with someone that can adapt to them vs trying to adjust from a previous successful partner.

I believe Wenjing Sui was skating with severed tendons on one of her ankles.  I hope she manages to have surgery and have it successfully fixed and doesn't suffer permanent damage. Imagine the pain and how much pressure she would have been under to skate here.

• Love 2

I thought Sui and Han were lovely!  I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop--I found their presentation and audience appeal to be the best.  (I wonder how many routines Lori Nichol has done to Samson and Delilah over the years!)  S&M were quite good as well.  D&R sure have the technical skills but I find their presentation to be a little dull.

This has been a rough worlds for returning champs.  V&T looked creaky and ran out of steam.  Chan really had a bad moment in the Kiss and Cry. I wonder if he will continue on next year. . 

Shades of Red, if you do get to watch the men's, I think you might be pleasantly surprised.  Javi and Adam really performed lights out and Kolyada had a breakout performance as well.  Shoma had a very bad fall but is a real cutie. I only saw a few moments of Max's and none of Grant's, but I've read they did very well also.

• Love 3

I really loved Sui and Han's program. Samson and Delilah might be one of the overused pieces of skating music but I'll be damned if they didn't make it exciting and compelling. I like that they're always going for it and pushing themselves. I look forward to what they'll be like in 2016.

• Love 1

Shades of Red, if you do get to watch the men's, I think you might be pleasantly surprised.  Javi and Adam really performed lights out and Kolyada had a breakout performance as well.  Shoma had a very bad fall but is a real cutie. I only saw a few moments of Max's and none of Grant's, but I've read they did very well also.

Thanks for the info.  I still have this on my PVR so will watch it now instead of deleting it.

I want Meagan Duhamel's arms. How toned is she? Holy Hotness!

Did the US even earn two spots for next year with that shitastic showing in pairs? I'm half kidding. Why is it so difficult for our pairs to stay together long enough to get back to respectability? Lord have mercy.

I guess Skating While Russian doesn't work so well over here. I'm sure they'll be on the podium tonight, but they've been shut out so far. I am impressed with the crowds in Boston. Lots of appreciation and loud ovations for everyone, especially for deserved performances. Contrast that to Sochi, where only Russian competitors got ovations and the crowds sat on their hands for the rest. Even Meryl and Charlie and Tessa and Scott looked like they were begging for applause the night that they won medals.

I love Sui and Han, but Peng and Zhang are just awkward to watch, and it has nothing to do with their skating. And yeah, I'm still salty about the Chinese women team gold in Beijing in 2008. I know that they fudge birth certificates.

• Love 4

I had such high hopes for our pairs. Chris and Alexa were skating very well this season, I really didn't think they would embarrass themselves on home soil, but I guess I should know to never underestimate American pairs' ability, or lack thereof.

I'm just not a fan of Duhamel and Redford; they have some nice big tricks, but their skating leaves me cold.

• Love 5
(edited)

The one move that I don't care for with Duhamel and Radford is their spin. They do this spin where she is crouched down but he's holding one of her legs up. I call it her "poop squat spin," because, well....that's what it looks like she's doing. That said, they certainly deserved that win today.

Holy crap on a cracker...I need some birth certificate proof on that skater from Kazakhstan. Sixteen years old? No. Really?!

Please tell me that Frank Carroll's fedora has its own Twitter account. The snark would be beyond epic....especially after a Gracie meltdown.

Maybe it's because I'm in the middle of a Private Practice binge, but Ashley Wagner could play Kate Walsh's younger sister.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

Ashley!!!!!! Ashley!!!! So effing excited for her!!! I would've been happy for Gracie to medal but Ashley has carried the flag for so long for the US women, I am so thrilled for her! The drought has ended--the time of the long rains has come back!

• Love 7

I've never seen Rafael Arutunian as excited as he was tonight. I'm glad it was Ashley who medaled and not Gracie. (Not that I expected Gracie to hold on to her lead. Between her and Denis Ten, Frank Carroll must be wondering if it's time to retire.)

• Love 4

And our long national nightmare is over.

Ashley isn't my favorite, but she fought for that and deserved it. I just don't know what to do or say about Gracie. It's frustrating because of the level of talent she has. She completely gave up after that fall and became totally lifeless.

Medvedeva is such a stunning skater, just so light and effortless out there. I don't know WTF Radionova and her coaches were thinking with that Titanic program, she deserves so much better.

• Love 6

Only got home in time tonight to see Ashley Wagner's LP, and color me impressed. She really performed the hell out of it--reminded me why I liked watching it last season.

Evgenia Medvedeva winning was predictable even without having seen her performance or any of the others besides Ashley's. She's the exciting new flavor. I feel like an asshole for thinking that way, and yet...

• Love 4

Great night. I was down on Wagner when she was named to the Sochi team over Mirai, but I loved her spirit there (including her "bullshit" meme during that wacky team competition) and as Tara and Johnny pointed out, she has kept working since then to get better. And as someone who does NOT like Gracie Gold, I am thrilled she is the US medalist.

That said I do love the Firebird choreography.

And with Nagasu appearing in the top ten with a clean and elegant performance, a nice night for team USA.

I think my new fave may be Anna Pogorilaya (blonde Russian) and I think she was underscored. I think she was a little better than Wagner, and preferred her routine over her teammate's. Plus I love her spirit and her wearing her heart on her sleeve. And she seemed to get along with her teammate too.

Holy crap on a cracker...I need some birth certificate proof on that skater from Kazakhstan. Sixteen years old? No. Really?!

Omigod. That was creepy. At this point I hope she's just lying for her age, because to look like that at 16 indicates some sort of hormonal problem, which I pray was not intentional and man-made. Even Tara Lipinski looked less childlike at Nagano.

I used to think Polina looked young, but she has filled in in the past two years, and never looked that babyish.

• Love 1