Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

She probably WILL wear the jacket on her first time out and it will be damaged or destroyed, giving her one more thing to be pissed about and an excuse to go out and get a new suit.

Or, more likely, they'll show her symbolically and carelessly tossing it in the trash while she covetously eyes the contents of the local Leather N' Buckles R Us. No need to keep any reminders of the sister that she's now replaced so effectively and seamlessly, right?

• Love 2

Maybe Laurel will suffer a psychotic break and actually think she is Sara? 

Admittedly, not likely, though no less ridiculous than any of the other plot points they've pushed on us so far.

• Love 1

OMG, that reference to three openly gay actors on the panel made go, "What?!?! Did Colton come out?" Totally forgot Victor Garber is going to be on The Flash. I appreciate Greg Berlanti's apology but it's too little too late and, also, not really that well-thought-out. They were thinking about the costumes that were going to be in the lobby? Well, then why do you have David Ramsey in there? I've seen the defense on Tumblr that it's because he sometimes wears the Arrow costume and they're planning something for him for Season 4. A bit of a stretch but fine. I'm the last person who would insist David Ramsey doesn't have a place on that panel. But I didn't see Victor Garber's costume? Or Firestorm? Were they there? And if you're talking costumes, then get Katrina Law, her Nyssa costume looks awesome, IMO. But it doesn't seem to be really about that. That whole thing was just a debacle from the very beginning. I got the sense like Bkwurm1 mentioned up top that they knew what they were doing and figured they can take the hit. Probably didn't imagine it was going to be a little bigger than they figured with the backlash on Twitter and critics calling them out on it. But they still succeeded in a way, didn't they? All the reports that came out afterward mentioned Black Canary prominently (although I love that several sites didn't use the BC photo but used Oliver on "The Climb" instead).

Saw the Golden Globe photos. Emily and Willa are gorgeous. I actually like Emily's outfit (and love her hair, makeup and accessories). It's sexy but kinda fun and playful, perfect for the Globes. That's a lot of hella strong double-sided tape she's wearing, LOL! Ouch! Willa's I'm not that fond of. I feel like it's a bit old for her. Maybe it was shorter? *shrugs*

• Love 2

The thing about the "openly gay" is that those are the actors, not the characters.  Isn't diversity on a TV show about who the characters are, not the actors?  Gay actors have been hired since .... actors were first hired.

There are only two openly gay characters on the shows, Nyssa and the captain on The Flash, neither of whom were there. So no points for that.

• Greg Berlanti's excuse of only inviting the actors who play masked characters was a lame excuse and has no clout because David Ramsey was there and Diggle doesn't have a mask even though he's 10000x the hero Roy and Laurel are at this point. And yes, I think he needs a mask for practical reasons. 

The thing for me is, he knew it was going to be a problem from the time the panel was announced (I can't be the only person who tweeted him) and yet he did nothing.  Easy fix?  Put an extra chair up there and take Katrina Law along, who is filming with Barrowman anyway.  The fact that this never occurred to him, nor did Nyssa when he talked about costumed women on the show, speaks volumes.

LOL that half the comments on David Ramsey's picture are 'Where is EBR?' Guess we just proved that social media doesn't affect the EPs after all, David.

Maybe Laurel will suffer a psychotic break and actually think she is Sara? 

Now that's something I'd tune in for.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5
we have Rila Fukushima who plays Tatsu, who will become Katana before the end of the season.”

Yay, Tatsu won't be killed off! Finally some encouraging news for this Arrow viewer.

I hate to burst your bubble. but it would be entirely possible for Tatsu to become Katana in flashbacks and die in the past. 

Maybe they consider throwing her at a dumpster, a cool plan? 

Having CL's character go dumpster diving and get stuffed in a fridge is one way to show her how much you love her. They took fridging a woman for a plot device to next level. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

The answers are in the spoiler thread.  He doesn't really say anything other than he's not going to answer because he'll get into trouble, or he's making Laurel earn her superhero status (eyeroll) but it's the potential because  you can get into a lot more trouble on tumblr than on twitter.

HAhahahaha oh no. I can't go look right now but I'll have to later.

This reminds me a bit of how Joe Mallozzi used to interact with Stargate fans. It could sometimes go very badly.

I've seen comments about him in the SGU/SGA/SG1 Boards back on TWOP when they went bad it went epically bad.

IDK about you guys but his responses on tumblr are pure gold. Here are some of them:

Hi. I was wondering if the show will address the omission of an Ollie/Laurel goodbye in the midseason finale? I care about friendships and Laurel is his oldest friend. She's lost him before. It's her sister's death that has led to all of this. She deserved a goodbye and the truth before he left. I think the show has been inconsistent with her importance in his life.

marcguggenheim answered:

Play it out…

Oliver: I have to leave to fight Ra’s al Ghul.

Laurel: Why?

Oliver: It’s complicated.

Laurel: Does it have to do with Sara’s death?

(awkward pause, then) Oliver: Ish. #messy

"at the end of the day, Oliver and Laurel are meant to be… they love each other… - Katie Cassidy" "Oliver Will Always persure Laurel, The love of his life, him for her, her for him. - Stephen Amell".... the problem is you sell a story and then switch out for nothing, without any coherence or respect, that is, make us (comic book fans) of idiots. why? Olicity for what? for fan service? please answer don't be a coward, why do you always spoil the relationship of this iconic couple?

Answer: Here’s my attempt to piss of the entire Internet at once:  Both the comics and the fans inform our creative decisions, but if you look at the history of the show, I think you’ll find that we’ve repeatedly deviated from both what the fans expect and what the comics have depicted.  We’re huge fans of both the comics and of our fans — who are awesome — but our choices are neither the result of “fan service” (to use your term) or blind adherence to the comics.
That said, the show just got picked up for a fourth season.  In other words, it’s not over yet.
Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2

Play it out…

Oliver: I have to leave to fight Ra’s al Ghul.

Laurel: Why?

Oliver: It’s complicated.

Laurel: Does it have to do with Sara’s death?

(awkward pause, then) Oliver: Ish. #messy

*howls*

That's perfect.

That said, the show just got picked up for a fourth season. In other words, it’s not over yet.

He just can't resist, can he?

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

Another hilarious response: 

Hello Marc! You said that we're having a pretty big Felicity scene on 3x12 and we might end up hating you after( NOT happening). But what will people feel towards F? They might end up hating her too, or feeling bad for her? We'll be able understand her reasons to whatever will happen? She's my favorite, I'm worried. Thank you for being so gentle answering us, Marc!

marcguggenheim answered:

Emily is an extremely talented actress, but I suspect that we could write a scene where she molests a kitten before setting it on fire and she’d still come off likable.  That’s her super power.
Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 6

Hahaha I have a bad feeling this is all going to end in tears (I don't really honestly think this is a good idea - these things have a way of going badly) but in the meantime I'm being very entertained by his Tumblr replies.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

In my experience, when EPs interact with the fans so directly, it usually doesn't end well. Especially as volatile a platform as Tumblr can be....honestly to me it's asking for trouble. *shrugs* But who knows, maybe I'm being overly pessimistic.

• Love 2

I just wanted to point out that Thea wore a costume too (like Malcolm's and Nyssa's) - when she was on the rooftop and shot Sara - plus her character also has a potential future comic book destiny, although we don't know what yet or if that will even happen.  So theoretically she could've been on the TCA panel as well.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

MG might as well just shove his foot in his mouth for all the good his tumblr/twitter Q&A is doing right now. OMG. 

The only really bad thing I've seen is his assertion that some of Ray's behavior isn't stalkery. 

That's what I mean. And then on twitter he just said that Ray was only stalking her for business reasons. He actually said that. I mean...

That's what I mean. And then on twitter he just said that Ray was only stalking her for business reasons. He actually said that. I mean...

I'm actually glad that he's doing this. Now that we know his opinion on the matter, he'll get some blowback. Not that it would matter necessarily, but being able to express my opinion about someone else's (wrong) opinion makes me feel better sometimes, haha.

• Love 3

I wonder what unspoiled and/or offline viewers think of these scenes.   It doesn't help to know when they were casting for the role the emphasis was on love interest.   I think they only meant for his behavior to be stalkery when he was trying to track her down for professional reasons.  This is why they had Felicity accusing him of stalking in 3.01 & 3.02.  They didn't  intend for his behavior to be viewed as that afterwards so in their minds it's not.  If you read a lot of the reviews up to this point, the reviewers think Ray is great and stalking is never mentioned.  I am not a fan of his behavior but things like pinging her phone in 3.09 to track her down I think are given a pass because Felicity does it all the time.  Her reasons are usually Arrow business but I guess they overlook that.

I am not a fan of BR (don't hate him-I just think he's meh) but my real issue is how they have written Ray.  I have trouble reconciling this titan of business who will go to whatever lengths to get what he wants (buying one company to get her to work for him, using her to get access to QC's servers, bribing her to go to dinner) with the so-called socially awkward charming man they want me to see.

This is why I read interviews with EPs even though they don't always play out as I expect.  I sometimes have no idea what they are trying to do without them telling me because it doesn't come across on screen.

• Love 2

Noel Kirkpatrick, who reviews the show at tv.com, pointed out at least in his review of The Climb (I can't remember if he mentioned it for other episodes') that Ray is a stalker and they need to stop it. But you're right, I don't think any other reviewer ever reflected on the stalking bit.

BR doesn't think Ray is a stalker: "You really feel like this guy is here to stay and that even though they put this little edge on him of he’s hounding Felicity to get him to work for him, I don’t think he’s too much of a jerk or crazy person. As far as sincerity, I think everything he’s doing is out of sincerity at this point." (from BR's SuperHeroHype interview, posted in the Supporting Cast thread).

I'm one of the few (on here, at least) who kind of gave a pass to his aggressive pursuit of her professionally, because I've personally seen people recruited in similar fashion, so I didn't find anything really all that odd about it, and I think that knowing he's a potential love interest can color your interpretation of his actions before he actually IS a love interest. I know people on here feel differently about that and I'm not trying to rehash or reopen that debate, but okay, he initially did what he did for professional reasons, cool, EPs, cool. 

Then he goes and pings her cellphone to find her at Verdant because he just NEEDS to tell her that he doesn't regret kissing her and explain about his dead fiance. That? Is stalker, over-the-line behavior, and can't be excused as professional pursuit. They need to stop with that immediately. 

Felicity does ping people's cell phones and other such questionable activity, but it is in pursuit of justice 99.9% of the time, and you can make of that what you will. But she doesn't do it for personal reasons, unlike Ray. Her tracking Thea for Oliver could be considered questionable, but I'm choosing to look past that because her letter to Roy revealed that she wasn't in a good emotional place when she left and they had reason to believe she might be in danger/not where she said she was.  

• Love 4

and they tagged both Katie & Stephen. And that just because said that felicity is his present. Its just reaffirms what he said at SDCC, but then he got a lot of hate then.

Edited by Velocity23

Oh my god, I can't even look at those comments due to secondhand embarrassment reasons. I hope he ignores it (as he should ignore any and all shipper wars that start on his page), good lord. 

Me too. Poor guy, leave him alone!

I get liking Laurel/KC, but I don't get liking Laurel/Oliver with the way this show has portrayed their relationship. It must be the "because comics" people. Who don't care at all about what is happening on screen on this show and just want the comic story to happen despite it not making any sense. 

Arrow's, Laurel is the worst representation of Dinah Lance I ever seen. Guggenheim managed to top his horrible comic run with the character. 

I'm a causal fan, if I was a huge fan I'd be pissed at what this show did to the character. 

• Love 7

I get liking Laurel/KC, but I don't get liking Laurel/Oliver with the way this show has portrayed their relationship. It must be the "because comics" people. Who don't care at all about what is happening on screen on this show and just want the comic story to happen despite it not making any sense. 

From the few comments I was able to look at before closing the tab with a quickness, most of the people I saw were of the "because comics!" variety.

• Love 2

Oh my god, I can't even look at those comments due to secondhand embarrassment reasons. I hope he ignores it (as he should ignore any and all shipper wars that start on his page), good lord. 

I think this is why he treats any type of shipping questions on his Q&A like the 3rd rail.  Avoid!  Avoid!  There is no winning for him, there.  

• Love 1