Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, Trisha said:

Let me just clarify this because I said it: I've worked in newsrooms almost all of my career. I have had stuff reposted in full on "aggregation" sites with zero credit. I've submitted more Google and YouTube copyright claims than I can count. No one needs to explain the harmful affects of plagiarism to me.  Trust me. It's bad, full stop.

My point was that from what I saw on Twitter (which is not indicative of an entire fanbase; no one said that), this had very little to do with the sanctity of art and/or creator ownership. People have been posting crap about him since they started hanging out. He didn't fit into the life some people have envisioned for EBR, so they went digging. If it turns out he's guilty of stealing and he has to pay the consequences of that, good. It's the "they went digging" part that trips me up.  

OK I'd really appreciate it if people not really talk about something they don't really know of. 

I'm in a DM of a group of about 40 people is where this most of this went down. Some girl in the group randomly brought up that this guy was stealing photos. She got it from someone who no one knows the reason why she thought to look into his photos in the first place or how long they had that knowledge for and assuming why they did it is kind of a crappy thing to do. The DM wanted to not say anything and just move on as an effort to not give the guy attention because no one in that DM is a fan of him. But obviously word got out. Regardless - no one took action.

Then ONE person, just ONE person had the bright idea of notifying the artist that their art was being stolen. If you look at their twitter this person wasn't cheered on by the fandom, they weren't cheered on by anyone. In fact this person was REPORTED by most people in said DM as well as other people. But the reporting process took too long and one of the artists who Josh dude stole from saw the tweet they were tagged in and signal boosted onto their page. And from there on out it was THEIR fans that reported the guy. 

Then the account was taken down - regardless of the reason some people celebrated - it sure has heck had nothing to do with them or whatever fandom that's being talked about here because in the end it all boiled down to 2 people. One who found out and one who reported him to the respective artist. And tbh blaming it on the fandom for 2 people whose motivation YOU DON'T KNOW is kind of a giant leap. 

Also at the end of the day you don't HAVE to be reporting copyright violation because of artistic appreciation. It's like reporting a crime only because you really like the person who's being robbed? Like, I think 50 Shades of Grey is a piece of shit but if someone was plagiarizing it I would let the author's publisher know!

For fun... This is from one of the photographers the guy stole from - something I found yesterday (which makes me not upset that this creep got caught). Anyways this is the last thing I'll say on the matter...

tumblr_os5stvHhOl1r2t96oo1_500.png

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm a bit out of the loop so I don't even know the guy we're really discussing here. But I'm not really seeing the big deal tbh. Plagiarism is wrong. Who cares about the why and how he got exposed? If he hadn't been plagiarising and fandom made him delete his IG, I'd totally understand the issue (yes, fandom goes way OTT sometimes) but right now I'm not seeing the problem. Dude was in the wrong. The end.

The irony of certain fans though. I've actually seen people tweet EBR telling her to quit the show for the good of her career but suddenly this is getting too involved her life? Come on now. 

I hope we get some more news about the show soon because fandom clearly needs something better to focus their attention on. Haha.

Edited by Guest
(edited)
14 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I feel bad for EBR though.  It's never nice to find out something like that about a person you trusted.

Oh for sure. The guy was fooling all of his friends based on his comments. He's total scum and I  feel bad for the friends who trusted him. 

But tbh I don't think anyone knows the extent of their friendship. Whether they're close, not close, dating, not dating? So I'm not going to assume she was hurt. In fact I doubt she even knows about any of this. I'm sure this guy will continue lying to them about what happened and make it seem like he's the victim... He just seems like that kind of dude lol

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

I don't feel sorry for EBR. She's a grown woman. If she even knows what's happened, I imagine she might feel disappointed in this guy but it's hardly the worst thing that could happen to her. Well, it didn't happen to her. It happened to him and he deserved it so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

29 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I'm a bit out of the loop so I don't even know the guy we're really discussing here. But I'm not really seeing the big deal tbh. Plagiarism is wrong. Who cares about the why and how he got exposed? If he hadn't been plagiarising and fandom made him delete his IG, I'd totally understand the issue (yes, fandom goes way OTT sometimes) but right now I'm not seeing the problem. Dude was in the wrong. The end.

The irony of certain fans though. I've actually seen people tweet EBR telling her to quit the show for the good of her career but suddenly this is getting too involved her life? Come on now. 

I hope we get some more news about the show soon because fandom clearly needs something better to focus their attention on. Haha.

Reporting someone for plagiarism is fine, I think for some, they just see it as weird of EBR fans to allegedly  go after him because of his ties to EBR and trying to protect her from "bad" people. They tried to police her relationship with KC but this is just something that has become the norm for fandoms in general. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Reporting someone for plagiarism is fine, I think for some, they just see it as weird of EBR fans to allegedly  go after him because of his ties to EBR and trying to protect her from "bad" people. They tried to police her relationship with KC but this is just something that has become the norm for fandoms in general. 

Sure. In that respect I agree that fandom goes too far sometimes but the outcome for this is different. This guy was in the wrong so for me personally it's not even about EBR. I understand others feel differently though.

(I'm mainly side eyeing the hypocrisy from some of these people - the very same people who tell EBR she should quit the show for her career or send tweets suggesting who she should date or what kind of movies she should act in. You can't be obsessively involved in EBR's life in one aspect and then suddenly dislike it when someone else does it. Huh??? Does not compute.)

But I agree, sadly it has become the norm for fandoms. Or maybe just the norm for the crazy stans.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Guest

I'd kind of hoped we'd move on but honestly, for the sake of argument I'm curious how people think a guy who may or may not be Emily's boyfriend - considering none of us actually knew this guy exsisted till all of this blew up Im not sure how likely that is but whatever- I'm curious how him losing his Instagram account affects changes or hurts Emily's life in anyway that would cause her grevious harm? Cause honestly I don't see how?

For all we know the guy deleted his account himself before more people discovered his plagiarising their work. And he can probably just start a new one regardless.

Im not hugely active on Twitter and in Arrow Twitter politics but I am an Olicity fan who doesn't appreciate that an entire fandom is being shaded for being creepy or crossing a line for what we've learnt was one person tagging an artist about the plagiarism which the artist had every right to know and every right to be upset about.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

That's where I'm at. Maybe only one person actually reported him, but I certainly saw some celebration on Twitter implying that EBR had been "saved" from him. Those tweets are what gave me pause. I've never, ever seen anyone talk about this incident like the entire fandom was being shaded and that was certainly not said here, so I don't know why that keeps being brought up like it was. 

In other news, here's the video where Willa says "there's no show with a happy-go-lucky Oliver Queen!" It bums be out that she sounds sad about Thea.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Trisha said:

That's where I'm at. Maybe only one person actually reported him, but I certainly saw some celebration on Twitter implying that EBR had been "saved" from him.

I don't see how this affects what actually happened. Let them celebrate? Who cares. They didn't do anything to hurt EBR's friend (who basically hurt himself. Not the fandom) or EBR because they didn't tag any of them in their so called celebration.

The reporting had nothing to do with them. And if he was a lying liar who lied and stole and got exposed? I don't feel bad if his friends - who were actively supporting his supposed photography - found out.  I feel bad that they were friends in the first place and likely were disappointed, but the guy brought it onto himself for being deceitful in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Trisha said:

I've never, ever seen anyone talk about this incident like the entire fandom was being shaded and that was certainly not said here, so I don't know why that keeps being brought up like it was. 

Umm if you look in the last page - you'll actually see some people bring the whole fandom into this. And this judgement is because there was a story that was brought over on this page and it wasn't the whole story. So yeah IMO fandom was being unfairly called out.

Sorry, I think it's quite unfair to bring this issue up here where the people who ARE being called out - can't even defend themselves or speak to the contrary. Even you were talking about some people celebrating on twitter and assumed that they were celebrating because they 'saved EBR'. That assumption isn't fair and calling them out here isn't fair either.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Sorry, I think it's quite unfair to bring this issue up here where the people who ARE being called out - can't even defend themselves or speak to the contrary. Even you were talking about some people celebrating on twitter and assumed that they were celebrating because they 'saved EBR'. That assumption isn't fair and calling them out here isn't fair either.

I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. Of course I have no interest in calling out anyone out -- especially anyone from Twitter if they're not here to defend themselves.  I wasn't trying to call anyone out or paint an entire fandom with one brush; I was just surprised by the celebration and investment in her personal life from people I didn't expect it from. I've done a major cull of people I'm following and that'll have to do. This is exhausting. 

2 minutes ago, Trisha said:

I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. Of course I have no interest in calling out anyone out -- especially anyone from Twitter if they're not here to defend themselves.  I wasn't trying to call anyone out or paint an entire fandom with one brush; I was just surprised by the celebration and investment in her personal life from people I didn't expect it from. I've done a major cull of people I'm following and that'll have to do. This is exhausting. 

I just don't see the point in bringing in Fandom drama here. If you had frustrations it would've been more prudent to either bring it up on twitter or somewhere private.But bringing fandom drama on here is just messy and obviously people are going to judge. So let's just not do it anymore. 

3 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I just don't see the point in bringing in Fandom drama here. If you had frustrations it would've been more prudent to either bring it up on twitter or somewhere private.But bringing fandom drama on here is just messy and obviously people are going to judge. So let's just not do it anymore. 

Fair point. I didn't know that was a policy. I've certainly seen social media drama surrounding KC brought here. I'm kind of at the point that I'm not inclined to bring anything here at all anymore, so no worries. Take care!

• Love 5

Entire fandoms are brought up all the time. It is rare that it is said "some fans" it is common to say comic fans, KC/LL fans, this is no different. I doubt anyone meant every single person but the terminology isn't anything new.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Fair point. I didn't know that was a policy. I've certainly seen social media drama surrounding KC brought here. I'm kind of at the point that I'm not inclined to bring anything here at all anymore, so no worries. Take care!

There's no policy. It's been done so many times after the fandom talk stopped being banished. It's just that usually it's not about Olicity fans.

I said "the fandom" not thinking, I apologize for that. I know it's not everyone, I'm also part of the fandom. I wasn't saying every single individual is like that, just using it as a general term, wrongly.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Trisha said:

3 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

There's no policy. It's been done so many times after the fandom talk stopped being banished. It's just that usually it's not about Olicity fans.

This.  There's no policy.  And Trisha didn't volunteer the information - I asked what was going on, because I'm not on social media and am frequently out of the loop.  It just somehow snowballed from there.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I'd kind of hoped we'd move on but honestly, for the sake of argument I'm curious how people think a guy who may or may not be Emily's boyfriend - considering none of us actually knew this guy exsisted till all of this blew up Im not sure how likely that is but whatever- I'm curious how him losing his Instagram account affects changes or hurts Emily's life in anyway that would cause her grevious harm? Cause honestly I don't see how?

It's not the losing of the instagram account, it's the cheating by someone she apparently trusted.

I don't think it's a case of grievous harm.  But I do think it's hard to learn that someone you trusted would do something like that because now you don't know who you can trust any more.  From the accounts, EBR is a sunshiney, open person who cares about others and makes them feel welcome on set.  More than likely this will make her more cynical and less trusting of people in general, more self-protective and closed off having learned that she has been deceived by this guy.

Or as Mike Meyers put it in his book about Canada, Canadians like to trust people.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It's not the losing of the instagram account, it's the cheating by someone she apparently trusted.

I don't think it's a case of grievous harm.  But I do think it's hard to learn that someone you trusted would do something like that because now you don't know who you can trust any more.  From the accounts, EBR is a sunshiney, open person who cares about others and makes them feel welcome on set.  More than likely this will make her more cynical and less trusting of people in general, more self-protective and closed off having learned that she has been deceived by this guy.

Or as Mike Meyers put it in his book about Canada, Canadians like to trust people.

My post wasn't solely directed at you but more a general question based on the tone of we should feel sorry for Emily or "poor Emily" because "fans" interfered in her life by getting her potential boyfriends Instagram account suspended (even though he did it to himself).

I actually do appreciate your explanation and if Emily has put trust in the wrong person I hope she has a good support network which from an outsiders perspective it seems like she does- but who really knows.

When I wrote that I was coming from a place of having to deal with a terminally ill relative in my real life which makes it hard for me to muster sympathy for a guy who did something wrong in the first place losing something as silly as a social media account on behalf of Emily who is beautiful, rich, famous and has lots of friends. Also hard to feel judgemental about certain people "interfering" in Emily's life or "celebrating" saving Emily or even really to be honest patting the group on the back who were happy about this.  To me it just feel like made up meaningless fandom drama that's more about inter fandom politics then any real genuine concern for Emily on both sides of the argument- but if my read is wrong then I apologise.

However I can see your concern does come from a genuine place and I don't want you to think I was trying to undermine that with my post. :)

1 hour ago, Trisha said:

There's no policy. And other messy stuff have been brought in here in the past so don't feel like you have to censor yourself in that regard. I was interested in finding out what happened because I kept seeing cryptic stuff on Twitter. Now I know. No prob, no drama. Hope this doesn't sour you on the board. 

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I'm not sure, but either way, that illustration would make me actively avoid whatever it's selling, lol.

Hopefully it's just an (fugly) advert cause just from a marketing point of view that seems overkill for a label haha.

Most wine bottles just have a name and a logo.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I actually do appreciate your explanation and if Emily has put trust in the wrong person I hope she has a good support network which from an outsiders perspective it seems like she does- but who really knows.

She seems to have family and social support so hopefully she'll still be warm and caring, if more cautious.  No sympathy at all for the guy.  Natural consequences.

An ill relative trumps all social media problems though.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

That's the label? Or just an advert?

I thought I saw something where he said it was the latest label? 

Admittedly I rolled my eyes and laughed at his boast about it being the fastest growing winery on the planet!

I saw it few tweets asking for receipts. ?

• Love 2

Okay then yeah that's a terrible label for a bottle. Wine bottles generally don't have overly flashy labels. I feel like that's something better suited for like I don't know Vodka..... or a trash can ? 

3 hours ago, Trisha said:

Don't go!!!!! I saw a bunch of cryptic posts on Twitter and would have asked about it anyway if someone didn't ask about it first! I'm an idiot who can't navigate Twitter so I like to find out stuff from this board. 

You certainly didn't start anything! No need to feel bad! Come back!!!!!!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, tv echo said:

More on the Olicity bench...

I was looking at pics from the park and it's a really lovely location, the whole park looks great. I'm kind of surprised they haven't already filmed there.  

10 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Awe that's awesome! 

Antonio also said on Twitter if it fits within a script he would consider filming there.

10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I would lose my mind over an Olicity on the Olicity bench scene.

Seriously that would just be insane in the best way. Be up there with a wedding in all honesty. 

What are our chances of that happening?

It's so pretty and picturesque that unless there are filming restrictions that would get in the way, I can't see why they wouldn't want to film there.  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Trini said:

Is the plaque up yet on the bench? Photos?

No, I think it takes a while yet. They've only been given the bench location so far.

2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I read the little girl (Nora) told him next time he should bring his daughter so they could play together.  I don't know if he has a really kid or if she was referring to Zoe on the show but either way, very cute.  

RG has a little daughter IRL

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

RG has a little daughter IRL

Um excuse me. She's the cutest little thing EVER. OMG. ? ? ?

4 hours ago, lemotomato said:

Here's something I think we can all agree on-- this a damn fugly wine label. Seriously, what were they thinking?

qFS6ObFm.jpg

I can't believe I'm going to do this so soon after everybody called truce on the other thing, but . . . 

I disagree!  I think it's fabulous and funny and appropriate for their vanity wine brand/club and its membership of die-hard SA fans.  But, I also do not drink wine, so I have no concept of appropriate wine bottle label artwork.  

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I have to say this con warmed me up on him even if I could take or leave Wild Dog

Tbh me too. He and JH looked really grateful and excited to be on the show (from last weekend along with their pics from filming the last few episodes), which I think is kind of endearing. I'd still be completely fine if their characters suddenly disappeared, but I'll admit that I'm not as averse to them as I was originally (that feeling is kind of more towards Curtis' character at this point). 

• Love 3