Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

You'd think a serious damage control would actually come from the network and not the cast trainer or Marc giving a billy joel song reference for Olicity..lol

I love how Kamily literally became non-existent once KC left the show...I was even shocked Kamily didn't post any pics when Katie came back this year. lol

The only time I felt they were doing some form of damage control was that rush of SM postings and MG on Tumblr after that interview WM gave about Olicity not getting back together. That was hilarious.

I was surprised KC didn't post anything with the cast for 5x09/10 or recently for LOT. She was supposed to make appearances so it wouldn't have been that much of a spoiler.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Chaser said:

The only time I felt they were doing some form of damage control was that rush of SM postings and MG on Tumblr after that interview WM gave about Olicity not getting back together. That was hilarious.

I was surprised KC didn't post anything with the cast for 5x09/10 or recently for LOT. She was supposed to make appearances so it wouldn't have been that much of a spoiler.

LOOL yes that was on helluva damage control by MG. 

She used to use the cast pictures to further herself but once she realized she was a goner she just stopped. She only did post pics with Caity from the party and BTS from the 100th. 

I don't think the network cares enough to do damage control.  f they did, they'd hire someone who does the job better than Chico does.  If Arrow does badly, they've still got three other Berlanti-verse shows plus the ones in development.

1 hour ago, kismet said:

So we have a budding relationship between BamBam and JH, why do I think this might be a problem if BamBam has increased influence on the show.

If BamBam gets increased influence on the show, everything is going to be a problem.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

wasnt the  BTS of the 100th episode just a pic of herself/her character in a wedding dress. 

Thats what SA posted. She posted photos with CL at the dinner party.

I'm really confused as to why anyone thinks BamBam would get that kind of influence over the show. Makes no sense IMO.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

but does it really require a lot. How hard is it for your main account to interact with fans and provide content they need. Fans do better photoshop than the CW PR, so really all they have to do is share fan content if they're that cheap. I've never seen a more incompetent network. 

If Arrow wanted to promote their show without CW to help them, they could take a page from SPN's production and start making their own promos.  Unless being a DC show prevents them from going a little rogue.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

The intern for spn is much better

Ha , I can't figure out the SPN intern.  They do some really squirrelly stuff that doesn't even jive with the show.  Like I think they are trolling SPN fans most of the time. The production staff of SPN itself do excellent promos . Maybe Arrow can borrow the Shaving People, Punting Things editing team.

7 minutes ago, Chaser said:

She posted a pic in which she is wearing the dress and surrounded by hair and make up people. No other cast members present.

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I'm really confused as to why anyone thinks BamBam would get that kind of influence over the show. Makes no sense IMO.

I think SA posted the photo of them outside (the one where he is saying goodbye and leaves) from the 100th episode and she posted her being by herself in the dress outside.

2 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I really don't get their way of interacting with fans. I understand promoting what's on screen at the moment but unless you never intend to bring a couple back together or do something then don't make it seem like it's an argument that shouldn't even be voiced out loud. This way they convinced a good part of people that hate O/F that they were never going there again and if/when they start changing direction they are getting hate from them and I'd say even more than before because they will feel played and this time they won't get that much support from that portion of fans that felt dismissed this year. It doesn't change in terms of ratings but way to make your SM experience as bad as it can be.

And last season MG and company convinced comic fans that they don't matter and that the show had abandoned comic elements. So maybe they've always sucked at knowing how to deal with fans on social media, but this season it just happened to be the 'shippers turn get dumped on.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

And last season MG and company convinced comic fans that they don't matter and that the show had abandoned comic elements. So maybe they've always sucked at knowing how to deal with fans on social media, but this season it just happened to be the 'shippers turn get dumped on.

That's why I said I don't get their way of interacting with fans. Not just right now, always. Then I talked about what's going on this year because that's what we were discussing today.

• Love 3

How I see it. Marc was online. Someone specifically asked Marc for a Billy Joel song that relates to Olicitys storyline and he answered, potentially because the are writing the final stretch of episodes that are Olicity focused. The end. I really don't think it has to be any deeper then that.

And people I saw like that Michael guy tweeting him in a rather obnoxious way about the ratings aren't really going to encourage him to be any nicer and receptive to his fans. 

• Love 8

Marc's going to be an ass on social media because he is an ass. Given the way he's been dismissive and even snarky and condenscending of fans, especially shippers, I'm perfectly fine with fans snarking at him, too, just as that poster did. What I found uncomfortable was other fans chastising him (or her?) like he (she?) was a child. 

• Love 8

One thing I don't understand is why people who keep watching the show celebrate the show hitting a 0.5, yes the writing has been crappy this year but your favs are still on the show and there is a reason we still all watch so to me being happy or gloating about a series low makes no sense. And them hitting series low doesn't mean they'll do what we want instead because series lows were hit at exactly one year ago and the show hasn't corrected it.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

One thing I don't understand is why people who keep watching the show celebrate the show hitting a 0.5

My guess is that those people are hate watching the show. Hoping it fails and gets cancelled comes with that territory.

Edited by lemotomato

Generally people who like a show but don't like how it's going at the moment want ratings to drop enough for the EPs and other TPTB to course correct back to what they want.  On this board, it's OTA and Olicity.  Otherwise EPs are mostly deaf. (See: Shore, David)

24 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Marc's going to be an ass on social media because he is an ass. Given the way he's been dismissive and even snarky and condenscending of fans, especially shippers, I'm perfectly fine with fans snarking at him, too, just as that poster did. What I found uncomfortable was other fans chastising him (or her?) like he (she?) was a child. 

Same here. I thought it was a legitimate point, that only now that the show is down to .5 is he coming on to push Olicity, which is what people have been asking for since the break-up and the show runners have firmly not been giving.  WM even said not to expect them to be together this season.

It may be coincidence, that the show is going to swerve Olicity now to MG comes on to promote it and it's got nothing to do with the .5 rating or it may that the .5 is telling them to stop ignoring fans who are telling them that we don't like what we see this season.  Either way, sucking up to MG, which is what many of those replies did, has been shown to not going to get you what you want.

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Yes Marc's been an obnoxious ass in the past. But that person and the others like him tweeted that with the intent of being rude and to be taken as such. What he probably didn't intend on was that Marc would reply. 

And if the problem people have with Marc is his lack of fandom positive interaction I don't see how being intentionally rude to him is going to encourage Marc to be more fandom positive and less of an obnoxious ass.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

One thing I don't understand is why people who keep watching the show celebrate the show hitting a 0.5, yes the writing has been crappy this year but your favs are still on the show and there is a reason we still all watch so to me being happy or gloating about a series low makes no sense. And them hitting series low doesn't mean they'll do what we want instead because series lows were hit at exactly one year ago and the show hasn't corrected it.

Especially since we're heading into an Olicity reunion... Do they really want crappy ratings for when their faves get back together or...?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

My guess is that the people saying that are hate watching the show.

Those people are strange to me. Like love yourself. Entertainment should be fun. Like I get saracastic snark and watching things just to mock it. I've done that. But if it's something you actually hate and makes you miserable/angry/upset that I don't get.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Especially since we're heading into an Olicity reunion... Do they really want crappy ratings for when their faves get back together or...?

Supposedly the crappy ratings are why TPTB are dumping their season arc story and long term Oliver/Tinah plans to switch back to Olicity. Like, Olicity was totally going to stay dead until they hit that 0.5

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

When did she say that?

I remember the not necessarily writing towards their romantic relationship this season and also saying that she couldn't say that they are getting back together this season. But that seems like typical maybe the will maybe they won't talk from show runners which usually means they will. But to my knowledge she never flat out said they wouldn't get back together.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

Either way, sucking up to MG, which is what many of those replies did, has been shown to not going to get you what you want.

I agree. He does what he wants, like he should by the way, but I think people should keep in mind that defending him isn't going to get him to respect them more. It's going to be peachy until they agree with him, after that good luck.

• Love 11

Yeah there was that quote from WM about them not necessarily getting back together this season but imo its been shown since that she has an unfortunate way of wording things so I think that was her attempt to be ambiguous about it. 

• Love 2

They way I see it this was the first time in a looooonnnggg time that Marc did something fandom positive where he wasnt baiting or being an ass and instead of the fandom snarking without @ him they did the opposite in  kind of a rude way. The one Marc replied to was probably the tamest of the ones I've seen. 

And since people ideally want Marc to do more fandom positive things and be less of an ass if I had to wager Marc is not going to be encouraged to do more and will go back to ignoring Arrow on his Twitter account and just tweet about Trump and Troll Hunters. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

In the fall. She said not to expect Oliver and Felicity to be together soon, or even this season.  I'll try to find the quote.

WM also said this about a new BC, in an interview in January.

On whether a Black Canary might suit up as soon as by S5’s end, WM: “There’s definitely a possibility... Look, it’s hard to do a show about Green Arrow without having a Black Canary. I don’t know if it will happen this season or when, but… we are going to be true to origins in the DC universe, and she’s always going to be there.”

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

They way I see it this was the first time in a looooonnnggg time that Marc did something fandom positive where he wasnt baiting or being an ass and instead of the fandom snarking without @ him they did the opposite in  kind of a rude way. The one Marc replied to was probably the tamest of the ones I've seen. 

And since people ideally want Marc to do more fandom positive things and be less of an ass if I had to wager Marc is not going to be encouraged to do more and will go back to ignoring Arrow on his Twitter account and just tweet about Trump and Troll Hunters. 

I think if he wants to encourage SM buzz he is going to interact more, if he doesn't he will stay away like he has done for quite a while. I don't think it depends on if people are nice to him or not. I remember him replying to very snarky questions on Tumblr or to LL fans (about the way he treated her, way before they found out he was killing her off) and wondering if he was having fun fueling the arguments..

• Love 4

Imo the ratings reflect what's going on now, so crappy ratings right now are fine by me because 1. the show has already been renewed so there's no worry about cancellation and 2. anything that signals to TPTB that a change back to OTA and Olicity (which is what I'm a fan of) are in order are to be welcomed. 

If and when Olicity do reunite, then I'd expect Olicity fans to want increased ratings to reflect the popularity of that move.

Also the dismissive way that 'shippers' were referred to and dealt with earlier this season by MG and even SA, the fact that Oliver x Felicity's relationship has been dialed back to the point where Flashpoint erasure/gaslighting has been mentioned and the very obvious PR newbie push has combined to make me feel a little, make that, a lot bitter so lower ratings which shows that all the complaints are not stupid shipper bias but reflective of what the general audience enjoys makes me happy. 

That being said being rude to MG or anyone really on SM is not okay but sass and snark are fine, people just seem to have a problem knowing where that line is. 

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Imo the ratings reflect what's going on now, so crappy ratings right now are fine by me because 1. the show has already been renewed so there's no worry about cancellation and 2. anything that signals to TPTB that a change back to OTA and Olicity (which is what I'm a fan of) are in order are to be welcomed. 

Be careful what you wish for.

• Love 1

Marc did give us that 1x03 script page without being asked...was it before or after Olicity is real was trended WW, I can't remember.

Marc has actually gone on record saying he's trying to stay away from twitter as much as possible. I do think the death threats last year got to him and he said in that collider interview that while he understands criticism he just doesn't get people being mean and rude. 

Marc was always snarky and somewhat of an ass but I think it didn't irritate ppl as much because they were happy with what they were getting on the show I guess.

• Love 2

IMO he has been more generous toward shippers then comic stans while still having a general disdain for fandoming in general- cause politics y'all the real issues being serious! 

I think the shipper/ratings/world series tweet was a dick move that was unmotivated and inciteful. And I've wondered if it came from getting some knuckles rapped by the network as it came across as lashing out out if no where.

And I didn't care for the whole why do you care about the show when you should give more attention to politics thing which felt condescending and implied people couldn't both care about politics and enjoy a tv show for real world escapism.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

When did she say that?

-- WM: "When we find them at the top of the season, that bond has grown stronger.  And the Olicity of kind of where that relationship goes and whether it goes back to being romantic or not, again, we're going to see where that takes us.  Um, we originally wrote those characters and explored that relationship as much out of a response to, ' we need a romantic storyline on the show,' but really it was the chemistry between Stephen and Emily on camera - you can't deny it. And maybe that chemistry will overtake them again and we'll put them back together. Maybe not." (SDCC, Jul. 23, 2016: Video in Jul. 25, 2016 Zap2it article, page 41 of Spoilers thread)

-- On whether, moving forward, they think about the fact that they have a very devoted Olicity fan base who want to see Oliver and Felicity together, WM: "Oh, yeah! At some point, we do think about it, and then you have to stop thinking about it. The funny thing about Felicity and Oliver is that it’s not in the comic books. Like you, I don’t come for a comic book background, and I feel like I speak for those members of the audience, who are a lot, that don’t. The thing about having Emily [Bett Rickards] on the show is that it was clear Emily and Stephen [Amell] had chemistry, and we wrote to that. Right now, they’re in an ambiguous place and we’re going to see where that goes. We’re going to lean into wherever these actors and characters take us, and that’s the fun of it. That’s why you can’t always please everyone. You’re in charge of figuring out what’s best for the show, creatively. Sometimes that isn’t what the Olicity fans or the Laurel fans want. Sorry guys!" (TCA Summer Press Tour, Aug. 11, 2016: Aug. 19, 2016 Collider article, page 42 of Spoilers thread)

-- WM: “The relationship, much to the chagrin to the Laurel fans, was borne out of that symbiotic relationship between the writers, what we were seeing on the dailies and the actors. We’re going to stay consistent on that,” she said. “We’re going to continue to see where these characters lead us. So it could go where the Olicity fans want… or not.” (Aug. 31, 2016 ETonline article, page 43 of Spoilers thread)

I can see that they wanted the suspense of Will they?/won't they?, which at this point is a huge mistake IMO, but I think they kept it going for too long.  People are willing to wait for a pay-off, although not endlessly.  But 2/3rds of the way through season 5 and people are still debating whether Oliver and Felicity will get together is far too long.  Hence the snark and probably the .5.

Other things said in interviews (thanks @TVecho) that we can look at now that the episodes have passed:

-- MG teased that 505 is "probably the most Olicity-centric episode we will have done in Season 5 so far."

-- From jbuffyangel: "Marc [Guggenheim] said that Episode 5 is a HUGE Olicity episode.

Spoiler

I asked him if Oliver was giving up and he said, 'No! No no non no!' ... So then I asked, 'But are we going to see a rebuild?' And Marc smiled and said, 'Yes.' And then I said, 'Oliver’s still working on becoming the man that Felicity wants and needs??' He smiled and said, 'Yes. Absolutely.' Then I said, 'But it’s going to be a process? A long journey?' And he smiled again and said YES."

-- Per jbuffyangel, MG told her that there is an Olicity flashback scene in 509 "that we are going to lose our minds over (in a good way)." (Nov. 18, 2016 jbuffyangel post, page 49 of Spoilers thread)

-- In response to fan who asked what they introduced in 502 that's still paying dividends in 512 for Felicity, Brian Ford Sullivan tweeted: "Malone's death uncorks what Felicity bottled up (re: Havenrock). Events in 510-512 force her to re-examine her life (or lack of) as of late." (Dec. 12, 2016 briforsul tweet, page 50 of Spoilers thread)

-- On 506 theme, Brian Ford Sullivan tweeted: "506 was about... that would be spoiling! I will tease it's our thesis statement for the season and one of my favorite episodes of the show." (Nov. 4, 2016 briforsul tweet, page 90 of Target Practice thread)

MG really, really oversold 5x05, which ended up being an anti-Olicity episode.  I put the second part in spoiler quotes just in case it turns out to be true (still far from happening).   I thought the flashback scene in 509 was forced and awful.

Did anyone notice Felicity re-examine her life 510-512?  I must have missed it.

506 was And So It Begins, Felicity lied to Malone and then admitted she took the arrows because she was working with the Green Arrow and the episode ended on teasing Quentin was Prometheus.  I don't remember what Oliver did, just that he took the n00bs to a concert. Great thesis statement.

So yeah, I think MG deserves all the snark he gets because he's talking about a different show than I've got on my screen.

• Love 9

I don't get it... People are assuming that the ratings will magically jump back up to high 0.6 low 0.7 once Olicity/OTA get back together... It's not necessarily the case. I mean it may go back up a bit, but it won't be drastic at all... So if people are cheering for 0.4 ratings or 0.5 ratings... That makes no sense to me imo.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Did anyone notice Felicity re-examine her life 510-512?  I must have missed it.

I missed it too. I think everyone might have missed it. Sometimes I feel like I want BFS to come back on Twitter and explain things like he did with Oliver in the early episodes of the season. Because there are definitely certain things that are not coming across onscreen that I think the writers must somehow think are? 

• Love 3

The ratings could jump up to a 0.6 next episode so....

Until there's more data we don't know that an 0.5 is the new normal.

Everyone likes to hypothesise and theorise why the ratings are the way they are I've done it myself but ultimately ratings only say how many people are watching not WHY they are watching.

The only thing we can say is that Arrow has lost its audience but we can't say for sure if it's due to Olicity or a whole other combination of reasons and I don't think putting Olicity back together is going to take the show back to their 1.0 + demo.

I do know that putting Olicity back together will make me personally enjoy the show and want watch more and not to sound selfish but that's really all I care about haha. 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

The only thing we can say is that Arrow has lost its audience but we can't say for sure if it's due to Olicity or a whole other combination of reasons

My hope is that it will cause them to do some research, figure out the problem, and then fix it before it's too late.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, kismet said:

So we have a budding relationship between BamBam and JH, why do I think this might be a problem if BamBam has increased influence on the show.

Unless BamBam starts writing episodes, I'm not concerned.  Chances are that JH is just a lot easier to work with when it comes to stunts than KC had been.  That alone probably moved him to adoring JH.   

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

My hope is that it will cause them to do some research, figure out the problem, and then fix it before it's too late.

Well we have unconfirmed rumours of focus groups earlier in the season and I know from my Gossip Girl days that someone in that fandom was an intern in the CW and she said they were pretty commonplace back then and the CW also had a social media research company they paid to track things like how often a show was mentioned and the ratio of positive vs negative mentions etc. But from memory she said feedback was presented to the network as more satistical numeric type data rather then in depth look at the content of the feedback- if that makes sense. Again I don't know the credibility of this person.

So essentially the CW sounds like they do have resources to research how audiences are responding. It's just a matter of whether they are going to spend those resources on a show in its fifth season or dedicate it to one of their newer shows like Riverdale for instances that they are trying to launch.

I remember reading an article on the CW president where he said that they liked to have 'complete shows' as it helps with their Netflix and streaming deals because they prefer complete shows that can be binged whole rather then shows that were cut off early. So if I had to hypothesise I'd say CW are probably just going to let Arrow run its course whether that be one two or three more seasons and then end it even if the ratings don't improve or go down more. Because they want to sell a whole show for their streaming contracts.

• Love 2

Arrow already got S6 and it will get a S7. Anything beyond that is most likely going to depend on SAs contract. If he's up in S7 they may just end it there or they may make an attempt at renegotiations and see if they can get an 8th season out of it.

What people are failing to realize is that Arrow makes a lot of money for the WB. It's entirely possible that WB subsidizes Arrow S7+ so the CW keeps it in air.  So yeah, Arrow could hit a 0.4 and still get S8 or even S9. Although I think it's more likely to end in S7 or S8 at the latest.

Additionally fans throw out comments like I hope the ratings drop and the show realizes what they're doing wrong and correct their mistakes. This is of course false, what they really mean is I hope the ratings tank and the show gives me what I want. For this board that means, Olicity, OTA, get rid of the masks, etc. Of course there's no guarantee that the EPs, CW, WB will look at the ratings drop and go oooohhh of course it's because we broke Olicity up!  The reality is, Olicity may have nothing to do with the drop in ratings.  The reality is that any course correction might be the opposite of what you (general you) want.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The reality is, Olicity may have nothing to do with the drop in ratings.  The reality is that any course correction might be the opposite of what you (general you) want.

Case in point: the biggest drop thus far if I'm not mistaken was after the breakup (for whatever reason, whether it was the hiatus, the breakup, the resolution to Felicity's storyline, not wanting to watch the drama, or some combination thereof). That's the biggest argument in Olicity's favor wrt their split hurting the show, and here we are a full year later and they still aren't back together, haha. We have Mask City run by Mayor Dumbass. If they didn't course correct after the drop that could be attributed to Olicity, then there's no guarantee that they'll try to fix any future drops by putting them back together. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Additionally fans throw out comments like I hope the ratings drop and the show realizes what they're doing wrong and correct their mistakes. This is of course false, what they really mean is I hope the ratings tank and the show gives me what I want. For this board that means, Olicity, OTA, get rid of the masks, etc. Of course there's no guarantee that the EPs, CW, WB will look at the ratings drop and go oooohhh of course it's because we broke Olicity up!  The reality is, Olicity may have nothing to do with the drop in ratings.  The reality is that any course correction might be the opposite of what you (general you) want.

A thousand times this. 

We all know that the network/DC is dumb as fuck and don't understand Arrow's audience. So it's likely they might not even get a proper handle on WHY viewers are leaving. Heck, they thought bringing in a new BC would be a good idea and the audience is pretty apathetic towards her already (just look at the Collider person's tweet). So it's hard to say they'd attribute the fall in ratings to the Olicity break up - they might attribute it to ROMANCE in general for the drop and that's not a good thing for us shippers. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I don't get it... People are assuming that the ratings will magically jump back up to high 0.6 low 0.7 once Olicity/OTA get back together... It's not necessarily the case. I mean it may go back up a bit, but it won't be drastic at all... So if people are cheering for 0.4 ratings or 0.5 ratings... That makes no sense to me imo.

I don't think Olicity getting back together or more OTA focus/less newbie focus will affect the ratings at all. I think the 0.6 demo is just how things are these days. That 0.5 probably happened because the Very Special Episode the previous week was (by the sounds of it) a steaming pile of crap and no one watches Arrow to be preached at. 

Edited by Guest