Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I'm confused because that kid in the picture with Diggle looked at least 18 months older than baby Sara. But they're supposed to be the same age? Haha. No.

Didn't you hear... when you have a penis you automatically become bigger and stronger than some puny female??? John Jr doesn't look older, Baby Sara just failed to live up to size requirements.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I'm just still offended by this writers choice. The sad part is I don't think they even understand the inherent racism and sexism in their choice. They probably just think its so cool they can get their little Connor now because of some Cosmic Comic Destiny bullshit. I really wish they stepped outside of their little bubble and were able to process just how offensive their choice was.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

This is one of the cutest cosplays I've seen

You know I can't help think that the introduction of Felicity Smoak on Arrow was the best thing to happen to small girls needing a comic book costume.  Cute, easy to put together, super recognizable, and nothing about the outfit to make a parent cringe.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, bijoux said:

Why King Shark? He's never been on Arrow.

It's pretty sad when The Flash starts to take over the Halloween Costume Contest in the Arrow's room :( Cute costume... but still the Arrow writers room needs to get some self-confidence. Just because its the Flash you don't have to go along with it. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, bijoux said:

Why King Shark? He's never been on Arrow.

Oh, is it a character? I thought someone was going to jump over it and thought that was pretty ballsy of the account to include it.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Belinea said:

So, does he expect nobody to watch live? I mean, he seems to have priorities 

I think it's a reasonable expectation that with the WS going to game 7 that Arrow's ratings will be sad tomorrow. Better to joke about it IMO than to pretend it isn't happening, haha. 

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I think it's a reasonable expectation that with the WS going to game 7 that Arrow's ratings will be sad tomorrow. Better to joke about it IMO than to pretend it isn't happening, haha. 

Probably you are right. I just thought it was hilarious... 

It's also the 5oth anniversary of the Country Music Awards (CMAs) which is big in some neck of the woods. I would assume TPTB will not dwell on this week's ratings, since likely they will be low. I think Arrow is a DVR for a lot of groups tonight.

I'm seeing lots of Arrow folks posting on Twitter/Instagram today which is weird since this is the one episode they are almost destined to have terrible ratings for through no fault of their own. By weird, I mean, why this ep and not the 4 previous ones. Perhaps this was all preplanned since Game 7 wasn't a guarantee. 

Did..is he mocking the low ratings? Please tell me I'm reading this wrong. I mean, I know he's mocking shippers, but is he indirectly acknowledging the low ratings? Or does he think they'll be higher? I'm befuddled by this man. If someone can translate asshole to English, I'd appreciate it. 

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 18
8 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Did..is he mocking the low ratings? Please tell me I'm reading this wrong. I mean, I know he's mocking shippers, but is he indirectly acknowledging the low ratings? Or does he think they'll be higher? I'm befuddled by this man. If someone can translate asshole to English, I'd appreciate it. 

He's acknowledging that tonight's ratings will be low because of the World Series, and taking the opportunity to mock shippers for saying that they have an effect on the ratings. And possibly implying that tonight's episode

Spoiler

will not be good for Olicity,

• Love 1

I don't get his need to fuck with the shippers. They are your fanbase too. NO need to poke at them. He might prefer a different fanbase but most people would appreciate a loyal audience. Apparently MG just doesn't give a fuck. I hope his social media is filled with not nice things. Why can't we get a more appreciative showrunner or at least one that doesn't act like an adolescent asshat. Without a fanbase you don't have a job. And part of me wishes the network would find a way to put his ego in check - maybe promote the mail person to showrunner? They probably have some decent gamechanging ideas. MG is far from the genius he thinks he is.

• Love 12

Arrow has been my only foray into fandom, by which I mean obsessing over every new spoiler, hanging out with all of the great people here, and devouring fan fic, so can somebody tell me whether this type of show-related drama is normal?  

Is MG's sneering tweet about shippers something that happens?!  I just can't understand why he would disrespect a specific segment of fans, especially a segment for which exists quantitative evidence of their investment in the show: number of tweets to trend Arrow, usually focused on favorite characters and ships; number of votes in online shipping contests that have led to MTV awards and others; number of fan works featuring Olicity that provide promotion of the show, especially Lord Mesa's high-profile artwork. I know that shippers are called just a small but loud faction of the fandom, but their loudness has only  benefited the show, right?

Honestly, the erasure of Baby Sara infuriates me, so MG's stupid tweet merely intrigues me. Is this something the CW/ DCTV executives are going to look away from, or do you think they'll force him to walk it back somehow? Could he have been lashing out like a petulant child because by the time this one was in the can, the executives were already demanding a plan to reunite Olicity, despite MG's grand plans for taking Arrow in a different direction?

Honestly, I'm flummoxed.

• Love 9

I think he did the same thing as when people were disliking Ray in season 3. He was pretty much like this then too and dismissing people's criticism by saying it's because they're shippers. I think he just can't handle criticism.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 12

I'm sure I'm just forgetting some, but I can't think of any other showrunners who are outright insulting fans. That's what I don't understand - just ignore us. I know CW made MG get a Twitter account, but he has the ability to tweet and then close the app. He doesn't have to read his mentions. He seems like a thin-skinned, narcissist who's also a terrible writer. So, the majority of Hollywood in a nutshell. 

• Love 7

I think he gets off to hate tweets and anger, honestly. I bet he prints out his @ replies and puts them in little sheet protectors in his own special little notebook. There's a section for "comic fans," "Laurel Lance stans," and "Olicity shippers." Maybe more. 

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

Arrow has been my only foray into fandom, by which I mean obsessing over every new spoiler, hanging out with all of the great people here, and devouring fan fic, so can somebody tell me whether this type of show-related drama is normal?  

Is MG's sneering tweet about shippers something that happens?!  I just can't understand why he would disrespect a specific segment of fans, especially a segment for which exists quantitative evidence of their investment in the show: number of tweets to trend Arrow, usually focused on favorite characters and ships; number of votes in online shipping contests that have led to MTV awards and others; number of fan works featuring Olicity that provide promotion of the show, especially Lord Mesa's high-profile artwork. I know that shippers are called just a small but loud faction of the fandom, but their loudness has only  benefited the show, right?

Honestly, the erasure of Baby Sara infuriates me, so MG's stupid tweet merely intrigues me. Is this something the CW/ DCTV executives are going to look away from, or do you think they'll force him to walk it back somehow? Could he have been lashing out like a petulant child because by the time this one was in the can, the executives were already demanding a plan to reunite Olicity, despite MG's grand plans for taking Arrow in a different direction?

Honestly, I'm flummoxed.

Sadly, this has been my normal.  At first show runners LOVE the positive support but then at some point when the shippers hold them to certain standards, they show runners get defensive.  To different degrees and usually they come back looking to make nice but so far nothing that surprising.  

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

Honestly, I'm flummoxed.

Honestly, most showrunners I've seen have been dismissive of shippers before, so it's not really surprising to me (which is kind of how I took his tweet--dismissive and snarky, not necessarily sneering, still kind of rude and extremely bad timing given the state of the fandom during this time). I was kind of surprised he hadn't deleted it or anything, but idk what actually might happen at this point until ratings for 506 come in and show some actual effect from this.

So, also flummoxed at where we're going next bts-wise.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 5

Yeah, I think this has happened in basically every fandom I've ever participated in or just observed from the outside. Even before social media, they would take their swipes in interviews or at cons. There's a tipping point where fans start to feel ownership of the thing they love and showrunners realize that their enthusiasm is a double-edged sword, and...most of them respond like sensitive babies. 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I'm sure I'm just forgetting some, but I can't think of any other showrunners who are outright insulting fans. That's what I don't understand - just ignore us. I know CW made MG get a Twitter account, but he has the ability to tweet and then close the app. He doesn't have to read his mentions. He seems like a thin-skinned, narcissist who's also a terrible writer. So, the majority of Hollywood in a nutshell. 

I wanna say a few from Supernatural, from the stuff I've heard secondhand.

I'm so over grown adults acting like petulant children and having it be seen as OK...

Anyway, I just unfollowed MG and ever other Arrow writer I could think. I don't even consider myself a shipper. But I'm so over Arrow's disrespectful tone to their fans this season. I feel like its reached a breaking point this season. And I am done. Respond to the criticism or ignore it, no need to stir the pot.

• Love 11

I mean, Chris Carter is legendarily horrible about Mulder/Scully, to this day. The 100 guy, whew. He spreads it around to everyone, and almost all his writers follow suit. Point is, MG is in great company! But it never makes sense to do this, and it's never necessary. If you make the story decisions you want to make, then great, but it's not difficult to predict how those choices might go over with certain viewers. The adult thing to do is just be quiet about it and let people react the way they want to.  Putting the blame on viewers for caring too much about the wrong things is NAGL. Just...don't talk about any set of viewers like that at all. 

• Love 16
1 minute ago, calliope1975 said:

Somehow that conversation actually makes me think even less of MG, and I didn't know that was possible. Wow. 

Yeah, his responses were pretty bad.  Maybe it's how that Tumblr person is relating the conversation but...it's not helping the situation.  People watch TV shows to escape all of the crappy garbage going on in the world so for Marc to belittle their desire to be entertained is pretty low.  Maybe he is just responding to the negative comments directed at him but then again, if he's so thin-skinned then perhaps he should just walk away from social media because snapping back at fans like that is not a good look for a show that isn't exactly tearing the world up with its storytelling and ratings.

• Love 22
35 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Now that he can't really focus on LL fanbase, he has a new target. It's funny, just keep telling your customers to leave.

"Ya care too much about this thing I got paid to make you care about. God you're a bunch of pathetic morons. Get lives!" LOL

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

I mean, Chris Carter is legendarily horrible about Mulder/Scully, to this day. The 100 guy, whew. He spreads it around to everyone, and almost all his writers follow suit. Point is, MG is in great company! But it never makes sense to do this, and it's never necessary. If you make the story decisions you want to make, then great, but it's not difficult to predict how those choices might go over with certain viewers. The adult thing to do is just be quiet about it and let people react the way they want to.  Putting the blame on viewers for caring too much about the wrong things is NAGL. Just...don't talk about any set of viewers like that at all. 

Chris Carter....*violently shudders*

• Love 5